333318posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July 2019 chemo starting

Re: July 2019 chemo starting

Hello ladies

I had my final chemo today - woohoo!! So relieved this chapter of my journey is almost complete, and am almost looking forward to the side effects as I know there is an end in sight! Really chuffed that my bloods have held up throughout and allowed me to have the max dosage throughout - I feel reassured that I have given the nasty cancer cells the hardest time I possibly can, I know there are no guarantees in this cancer game but I'm happy with myself, and thanked Hubby for his dedication, he has endured every single hospital appt and chemo session with me and will deliver me to each and every radiotherapy session too!

How are you doing Flower79 and LucyLump, have through about you both alot through our shared journey

Love to all

Helly xx

Oh My Goodness, I am so pleased to have finished too. Such a relief. I know I will get the side effects over the next two weeks but I am counting down the days. I have an ultra sound on 29 October and then breast surgeon appointment on 31st. Think surgery will be around start of December. Also get 12 more cycles but only of Herceptin and as you say Flower side effects will be nothing in comparison to the chemo. Thank you for the information re the driving and definitely I will start with the exercises as soon as I can after the surgery. I was thinking of you too Flower as I was sitting there plugged in to the chemo machine! Today the district nurse came to give me my last Pegfilgristam injection too. Pleased they took away my folder, sharps boxes etc. Crochet-Helly, I am also booked on to a looking good feeling better course in November. I am 53 and have never been any good at make-up so maybe now is the time to start! I am looking forward to it. I have also signed up for 'Move More' which run by our local leisure centre jointly with MacMillan. You get 12 free gym sessions and they tailor it to your needs and have knowledge of cancer so it sounds like win-win. However I have never been in a gym in my life so it too will be a new experience. Thinking of you all. We are all getting there! Back in July October seemed such a long way away but we are making it! Sending love and hugs to you all. Xx

Hi All, I hope everyone is keeping up. 

Crochet-Helly, I totally love understand you, I couldn’t wait the last one yesterday. Although I have another 12 to go, it will be only Perjeta and Herceptin with mild seed effects so they say. It is such a relief! I am with you regarding the weight gain, I just absolutely hate it. Bizarrely I am gaining and loosing 6-7kg every week. On week I gain, the other week I loose. Apparently it’s all water and my chemo doc said it takes up to 2 months to loose it all. So whatever you gained by now, you will probably start to loose it naturally after your last chemo.

LucyLump, how did it go yesterday? I hope all is good! I was thinking of you. As per driving after the surgery, it took me about a week. It started to do the stretching exercises gently after the surgery. It wasn’t a fun ride due to the axillary clearance both sides but I feel stating those exercises early shorten the recovery time.

I will have all the PET, MRI, CT, bone scan etc. done at the beginning of November again, then 6 weeks radio from mid November plus twelve cycle of Perjeta+Herceptin. Somehow I feel I am halfway through, fingers crossed.

I am thinking of all of you, we can do this! 

How are you all doing?

I have my final Chemo on weds, and bizarrely I can't wait! Bring on the final session of pain, fatigue and tears!! 

Despite being 39 I currently feel like a little bald, old lady, struggling to walk and motivate myself to do very much, cried yesterday when I tried to find 'something nice' to wear as nothing fits thanks to the weight gain.

Have booked on to a local Look Good Feel Better session mid Nov. Have been offered a place on the Moving Forward course too but the next one clashes with my Radiotherapy sessions so will see how I feel when the next course rolls around, hopefully once the Chemo drugs leave my system I will feel less useless/helpless etc.

Thinking of you all who have been on this journey with me.

Hi ,

dont worry about having a PICC line in.  Takes about 45 minutes and afterwards i had very little discomfort.  So easy having the chemo... no more cannula's... and taking bloods and having additional meds if needed..  i was very worried about having it done but was the best thing i did.... 

re Aveeno and radiotherapy...  i used it regularly and applied it straight after my radio...

had no problem with my skin and didnt really have the tiredness some people experience.

hope i've reassured you a little.  
mini mad xx 💖💖

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Lmc, something similar happened to mai7 I think about the hand, please get your team to look at it to be on the safe side always best to get things checked out 😘💕💕✨✨shi xx

Hi LMC, it is good to hear from you. I am so sorry though that the chemo bag leaked on to you. I had a bag leak on me too but luckily it was herceptin and not one of the chemo drugs. Maybe you could phone the helpline about your swollen hand just to see if they have any advice. Thank you for the info re the driving. Hugs to you too. Xx

Hi all. Wow what journeys we are going through. I’ve had a set back in which the chemo drugs leaked into my hand so chemo had to be stopped. No more viable veins so have to have a PICC line on Tuesday which I am dreading. Then to pick up the rest of this chemo then one more left. My hand is still swollen so paranoid about it. 
I then go onto radiotherapy. With the Aveeno did you apply this before and after the radiotherapy? 
also driving, as soon as you are comfortable and safe to do so my breast nurse said. It was a while with me due to drains etc. Just make sure you go somewhere quiet and try an emergency stop. 
Big hugs to everyone xxxx

Thank you Kip. That's really helpful. Xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Lucylump,  I had a mastectomy and was driving by about 7 days after, once the drain had gone and I was comfortable with wearing a seatbelt.   After my lymph node clearance I think it was about a week again. 

Ooh and also my eyebrows came back really quite quickly after chemo finished too, eyelashes as well.   You'll be surprised... pity the leg hair joined in as well though!

Kip

x

Oh my goodness Flower 6 lots of docetaxel sounds awful. Thank goodness we have our last one next Friday. My eye brows have gone too. I can't feel any hair yet but I am really looking forward to it! Kip it is always so reassuring to hear from you. Thank you so much for looking after us all. You are a star. Can I ask anyone who has had an operation how soon were you able to drive? I realise it varies from person to person but a rough idea would be good. Xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

hi Flower,  you are doing so well, last Docetaxol coming up.. yayyy.. have a big pat on the back for getting there.  I had 3 x Fec and 3 x Docetaxol during 2018 and T was by far the worst bit I found.  But I got there and the taste buds came back and the side effects faded.  I found my hair started growing during the T part of chemo too, probably during the last bout,  I finished chemo at end of September 2018 and had a complete covering by Christmas and now its thick and curly albeit grey!

Hang in there all of you, you are doing brilliantly!

Kip

x

Good morning everyone,

This is going to be my 6th round of Docetaxel along with the other drugs and I must say I very much looking forward to get over with it. As every cycle, despite of the high dose and extended course of steroids, I had allergic reactions during the chemo session when administering Docetaxel, this time three in a row but I pushed it through  At the end. It set a record of having my chemo session for 10 hours. It is just awful but hey, getting a last one of it next Friday with LucyLump?

I must say nothing helped me with having so much air. The taste bud issues and mouth sores got more bearable after the 3rd round, however having bad diarrhea most of he days remained an issue. As neurotoxicity kicked in after the last round, and I really felt that I can’t take more. Now I feel more positive again but dreading this last one next week. I keep telling myself that when it is done, the hardest parts ( surgery + this part of the chemo sessions) are over. I do hope that radiation and the targeted chemotherapy will be a walk in a park compare to this. 

As for eating pesto, bananas, grapes, mango juice and egg were the things that still taste fine on my worse days. Smiley Happy

Also, it seems that my hair started to grow back a couple of weeks 3-4weeks ago. Did anyone experience something like that? It is like a baby hair, soft, thin and fuzzy. Not sure if it really started to grow back and I should let it be or it is just a new stage between chemos before it falls out again and I should shave it? Eyelashes are still holding on, eyebrows are nearly non existent.

Ladies, you are all fantastic, we are nearly there!!!

Hi crochet-helly,

i found radiotherapy very doable compared to my chemo.  I didnt get tired as lots of ladies do.   I used Aveeno moisturising cream all the way through and had no trouble with my skin.  Once you get into a routine ,  the laying still with arms above your head, it kinda becomes second nature...  

pls dont worry about it.... you're doing the hard bit now.. 

mini mad xx 💖💖

Hello everyone - hope you all getting on as best you can?

I feel like I'm recovering quicker for chemo 5 than I did for chemo 4, thank goodness! 

Still had pain but more managable but mostly my brain has gone to mush and affecting my ability to think rationally! And as for tasting anything - forget it!

I had meeting with radiology yesterday and should get appt for next week for CT scan and tattooing/marking ready to have 20 sessions over four weeks in November - the consultant said radiotherapy is a walk in the park compared to chemo - I hope she is right!

Thinking of you all

Helly

Thank you so much Silver Pixie. Sending you a hug too! Also adding random sours to my Sainsburys order before I forget. I have had dose 5. On this though there is very little recovery time between doses. Last time just 2 or 3 days. All worth it though. We will get there. Xx

Hi LucyLump,

Yes, me too .. belching and feeling yuk . Haven’t got a solution though, sorry.

The taste is awful isn’t it? I can’t summon up much appetite when my mouth feels dirty . I have been eating Randoms sours as they provide a brief respite and brushing teeth frequently. Are you on dose 4or 5 ? I’m on 4 and so want this to be done ...  doxcetal is a real trial .. I feel sorely tested ! 

Anyway , sending you a hug as I know we’re all doing our best to get through this xx

Afternoon everyone. This docetaxil is hard work! Does anyone else feel 'full of air'. I have been like this for days and it was the same last time. Constantly belching and feeling sick. Any handy hints on how to reduce this would be very much appreciated. I have ranitidine and domperidone but neither of these are helping. Awful taste in mouth is doing my head in. I am so looking forward to getting this over! Xx

Hi Kaytee there are good hospitals if you need help in Inverness and Perth and a fab GP practice in Aviemore if you need any help. You would be about an hour away from a hospital in both directions. I hope you manage your trip but if not you will need to look forward to another time. There are not many chemists in the middle of the cairngorms though so definitely need to stock up on your crates of anusol before you go! Xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Crates of anosol will help 👍I think the shares rose while I was on chemo 2 years ago, I got through tubes and tubes of it 👍 xx

Thank you Shi

I will definitely had a chat with the unit before making a decision. 

Hi lucylump, supposed to be going just north of pitlochry in the cairgorms, so a bit out of the way. 

Oh Kaytee, I am so sorry to hear about your piles. They sound awful. Where abouts are you going in Scotland? If it not too remote there should be lots of good help around if you need it. North West Highlands and west coast islands are pretty remote but even there there are systems in place to get everyone help as quickly as possible. I really hope you can manage your trip and enjoy watching the deer and have a special time with your family and friends. Xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Kaytee just check with your unit if Scotland is one week after your last chemo and follow their guidance ❤️ They might tell you to have idea of where nearest trusts are while you are away just to be safe ❤️ 💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Hi ladies

Iam on day 4 from docetaxel.

Taste buds defo on way out, lucylump I am also finding milk ok at the moment but I really have to focus and tell myself to drink something.

Starting to get achy legs now, but nurses said that's good cos it means the injections are working,  so I am trying to remember that!!

Right now my worst issue is still to do with my bottom, have had a poo, but have really painful piles (sorry for the too much info :-) )

Last year before all this started I booked a family holiday in Scotland, 10 of us. It's now coming around and I am unsure if I should go. It's a week after my (hopefully) last chemo. I know I will not be able to do much but I love Scotland and am hoping I will just be able to sit and watch the dear etc.

I guess I will have to wait and see how I feel that week, but I am reluctant to admit defeat yet!

What do you think, is this unreasonable?

Best wishes everyone x

AWW

Hi LucyLump, 

I am day 2 after docetaxel and taste buds already gone, went all emotional yesterday just because nothing taste nice, lol.

Last docetaxel completely knocked me out, I was really poorly so though am still kind of OK for now am really anxious because it's still early days.

Can't wait to put all these behind us. We are getting there Smiley Happy 

Morning everyone, hope you are all ok. Am on day 6 after 2nd docetaxel and a bit spaced out but otherwise managing ok. Last one with you Flower 79 on 18 October. Will be so good to get this out of the way even though there is operation and radiotherapy etc to come. Finding it really difficult again getting something ok to drink. Oddly todays OK thing is milk with strawberry nesquick! Really strange. I would not drink this normally but drinking anything is important so this has to do. Can't tolerate water, sprite or coffee any more.  So looking forward to taste buds and most importantly hair coming back again. How is everyone getting on with their nails? Mine seem reasonably strong just now and I haven't put any nail varnish on them but am wondering if I should. Am moisturising hands and nails in hope this will help. Eyelashes still seem to be there but eyebrows virtually nonexistent. Thinking of you all and sending hugs. Xx

Morning Helly and all ,

I’m glad you’re feeling positive today after your drug changes for the next chemo. I had my 4th yesterday( doxcetral and Herceptin )   and like you am waiting for the side effects to kick as I feel sure they will !  Don’t the steroids leave you wired 😂I feel I could tackle all sorts but I think that’s not a good idea just yet ! 

Im on 80% dose because of my experience with excess vomiting on round 1 and they have decided to keep me at that level for now . As long as it works long term that’s fine with me .. like you its preventive as my cancer hadn’t spread although stage 3 . 

Im just thankful to have got this far and have to say that regular input from you ladies has helped me along no end .. best wishes and hugs to all .. we ARE getting there ! xx

Good morning all, 

Bit quiet here in our chat, I hope that means you are all ok? How are you all coping?

I had my oncology review mon and had a few meds swapped around to see if I can cope better for round 5 still maintaining the high docetaxel dose, I can have it reduced by 20% for the final one if it doesn't work.

They have swapped me to the one off white blood cell jab instead of the 7 day one, going to start cocodamols tonight and have been given a supply of nystatin, fluconazol and laxido!

I had 5th chemo yesterday which was uneventful, just how i like it so final one planned for 23rd oct if bloods hold out. 

Lymphodema clinic today and then radiotherapy planning next week too.

Feeling much more positive and settled this time round... or maybe thats the steroids.....

Thinking of you all

Helly xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh yes I agree with Shi,  I used to suck ice lollies during Fec and T chemo, the nurses told me to and the hospital had a supply in the fridge.   It should help prevent the burnt mouth feeling.    I also used to use cooled boiled salt water regularly during the day, especially after eating and a teaspoon of good quality manuka honey everyday and let it sit on your tongue for a bit, that's supposed to have an antiseptic quality too.

Kip

x

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

I used to suck ice lollies during chemo fec, that might help. Please discuss with your team, they could prescribe you something more than just the difflam 😘hope you get this sorted ❤️💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Hi All, 

Not sure if this has been discussed but anyone having issues with their mouth? I’m on my 4/6 EC and each time my mouth is so dry my tongue hurts feels like it’s been burnt and my lips are really dry with sores in the corner. 

Ive been given Diflam I drink plenty, Vaseline my lips but still not great. 

Any tips would be really grateful! 

Thank you 

xx

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is doing ok so far. I just had my 5th round of Herceptin, Docetaxel, Perjeta and Carboplatin yesterday and I will ha e my last round of these four on October 18th. Same day as you, LucyLump! Smiley Happy I am still having my allergic reactions for Docetaxol even with premedication, medication during the chemo session when they have to stop for a while until the symptoms get sorted, and with an extended course of steroids. I had bad dried mouth during the first 3 rounds but the man it got much milder. When my taste buds are on strike, toast with butter on it, Feta cheese, olives and hard boiled eggs are still have a good taste. And ginger tea Smiley Happy 

I had my surgery first so when I am done in October with this cocktail, I will start my radiation and continue to have more 12 cycles but only Perjeta and Herceptin. They say the side effects of those are much milder, and I am really looking forward to it Smiley Happy

Time flies indeed, in July the end of this part seemed so far away, but we are getting there ladies!!! I know I did not write very often but I was following your conversations. You are all rock stars! Keep it up, not much to go now. Smiley Happy 

Hi Lucylump,

I have my last Herceptin, Perjeta, Docetaxol and Carboplatin due on 13th October. The rest of my treatment seems to be the same as yours. Good luck x

Hi everyone, hope you are all doing Ok and getting stronger ready for the next round. I had my Herceptin and Perjeta yesterday luckily this time without a bad reaction and I go back on Monday for the next docetaxel. The plan is for my last one to be on 18 October. Back in May October seemed so far away but time has flown really. Can't believe we are nearly there already. I haven't seen my oncologist since July but have clinic calls by phone from oncology nurses. So far they seem to be OK though. Next plan is operation approximately 6 weeks after last chemo and then radiotherapy and herceptin for 12 more sessions. What a long haul it is for all of us. Thinking of you all. Xx

Hello everyone!

Been reading your updates, hope you are all looking after yourselves as best you can!

After 2 further visits to GP for treatment for oral thrush and then for hot flushes, nightsweats (menopausal symptoms already and Im only 39) and restless legs I'm beginning to feel more myself (GP gave me amitriptyline 10mg and I have had 2 lovely nights sleep).

I think my next session is weds but have an oncology review on monday - have along list of questions to see if we can come up with a plan to manage the pain better and be prepared for the next session.

Has anyone else had a review yet? I had my surgery already and also have radiotherapy planning booked for early october?

Thinking of you all

Helly

Hello ladies

I hope everyone is starting to get over most of the side effects now.

My taste has pretty much returned to normal and skin is starting to heal. My main problem is still going to the toilet!!

My eyes are very sticky and have a headache this morning but still feel better than I have for last 2.5 weeks!

Next chemo is next Tuesday, really worried about it after this time but keep thinking only 2 (hopefully) to go and maybe it wont be as bad? Fingers crossed! 

Best wishes everyone xx

Totally agree Silver Pixie. I can't eat anything sweet either apart from the fruity bit of fruit corner yoghurts. Will try out chicken gravy as well! Xx

Morning LucyLump ,

hope you’re feeling better now , and able enjoy the next chemo free days... that’s what I’m doing  this week .

Taste is funny isn’t it? I can’t bear chocolate or tea and have developed a complete aversion to what I call manufactured sugar .. I’ve been eating hard pears and hard nectarines so they’re not fully ripe and sweet ! But my favourite is chicken gravy!! 

We are getting through this and will get to the end somehow , giving each other strength and support along the way . 

Best wishes to all xx

Morning everyone. Hope that for those of you in pain it is easing off. How are you all coping with the loss of taste? So far for me Fruit Corner Yoghurts taste OK but not sure about anything else. Chocolate and coffee taste disgusting! Sending hugs to everyone. Xx

Hi,

i had my last Docetaxel and Carboplatin on Friday. It has totally tired me out. Doctor gave me Gabapentine for pains in legs and spine which helped, I can take Paracetamol on top if needed.

I used the cold cap for the 4 sessions and it has saved my hair, although with a couple of bald patches. I meet with Radiologist on 27th to discuss the next stage of treatment.

when this all started back in February, I couldn’t have imagined what was ahead or how to deal with it but we do , don’t we.

Thinking of everyone

Hi Everyone, I am so sorry to hear you have all been in such pain. I really hope it is easing off for you now. I have been totally wiped out for several days being sick. Docetaxol is affecting me differently from everyone else for some reason. I was fine until Saturday then really sick until yesterday. Not what I expected and I am not sure if the sickness was due to the chemo, antibiotics, immodium or a combination of all 3. I have also been dehydrated. Finding it really difficult drinking anything over the past few days. Today thankfully I seem so far at least to be able to drink water so keeping going to try and top up again. Still feel awful and worried about next docetaxol already due next Friday but at least after that it will be only one left. We will all get there. Thank you so much to all of you for all your support. Sending hugs. Xx

AWW

Hi Kip, 

Thank you for this, it helps lifts ones spirit up and help us keep fighting. 

@Kip wrote:

Hello ladies, sorry to hear some of your are struggling at the moment.  That switch over from one type of chemo to another does seem to hit us hard.  I had 3 x Fec and then 3 x Docetaxol and the first T was so hard, I got neutropenia, oral thrush, etc etc.  My ONC said it is often because your body is used to FEC and then wham something new happens.  I did find that rounds 2 and 3 were better and I was better prepared, just took everything they gave me before anything happened!   On a plus note my hair did start to grow back on T.  I also got the aches and pains, caused by the injections too, took painkillers when it got really bad and hot water bottle.   I had the sore nails as well, felt like I had jammed them in the car door.  I never lost any nails, luckily, but they did look a sight, ridges, yellowing and brittle, but 1 year later and they are all back to normal, didn't take long, just kept nail polish on them and nobody knew!. I also got numb tingly thumbs, if you get this mention it to your ONC as it can get worse and they may need to adjust the amount of chemo you are getting.  Mine recovered once I had stopped chemo (about 3-4 months later) and its all ok now.

Hang in there ladies, keep ticking of the days!  On Monday I will be 1 year since last docetaxol...you'll soon be there too.

Kip

xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello ladies, sorry to hear some of your are struggling at the moment.  That switch over from one type of chemo to another does seem to hit us hard.  I had 3 x Fec and then 3 x Docetaxol and the first T was so hard, I got neutropenia, oral thrush, etc etc.  My ONC said it is often because your body is used to FEC and then wham something new happens.  I did find that rounds 2 and 3 were better and I was better prepared, just took everything they gave me before anything happened!   On a plus note my hair did start to grow back on T.  I also got the aches and pains, caused by the injections too, took painkillers when it got really bad and hot water bottle.   I had the sore nails as well, felt like I had jammed them in the car door.  I never lost any nails, luckily, but they did look a sight, ridges, yellowing and brittle, but 1 year later and they are all back to normal, didn't take long, just kept nail polish on them and nobody knew!. I also got numb tingly thumbs, if you get this mention it to your ONC as it can get worse and they may need to adjust the amount of chemo you are getting.  Mine recovered once I had stopped chemo (about 3-4 months later) and its all ok now.

Hang in there ladies, keep ticking of the days!  On Monday I will be 1 year since last docetaxol...you'll soon be there too.

Kip

xx

AWW

Thanks Jencat, 

I have just realised the medication that I was given at the hospital wasn't co codamol, so I have been taking this medication thinking it was co codamol, no wonder am not getting any better.

Called the hospital now and they said Co codamol was missed out at the pharmacy. Thank God for my GP, they are having some prescribed for me right away.

I have an appointment with oncology on Thursday, I have loads to complain about. 

Thanks Jencat. I’ll be having a chat about it tomorrow I think if they struggle with my veins again. 

AWW I’ve had lots of different ones from Claratyn to Boots own. Just the one a day ones. Hope it helps 😊

Hi AWW,

I found the first Docetaxel really hard like you and I also had a lot of bone pain. I ended up with an out of hours doctor coming to see me, who prescribed liquid morphine, which did help. My 2nd and 3rd chemos with T were a lot better though, so hopefully that will be the same for you. I don't know if that was because my body had adjusted to the different chemo (I was on FEC for my first 3 chemos) or because I persuaded my onc to reduce the number of injections I had to have after chemo x

AWW

Hi LMC88, 

Please what anti-histamine do you take? , I am having terrible bone and joints pain.

I started Docetaxel last week Wednesday and it has completely knocked me out, I have had chest pains, flu like pains, mouth and throat sore, diarrhoea, headache just everything, it's been terrible. 

Hi LMC88,

I'm from the Oct'17 group and I just wanted to reassure you about the PICC line procedure. When I had mine fitted, I couldn't see what was being done-I had to lie on a bed and was covered up and also I didn't feel anything. When I had my line fitted my daughter was allowed in the room with me, which I think helped x

Highlighted

Hi Kaytee 

I had a poorly fingernail I just soaked with salt water seemed to help. Also for poorly mouth I tired all sorts but basically drinking lots of water with ice was the best solution. 

Bone and joint aches - I’m on my 4th out of 6 EC chemo tmoro, it was the injections you take which gave me really bad pains the first time. But I read about taking anti histamines and it’s actually helped. I had none of that pain since. 

Im struggling with running out of good veins. My arm has hurt since the last one seems like a pulling pain which is weird. I am petrified of needles so the thought of more prodding and poking for the cannula tomorrow makes me feel sick. I am thinking about a PICC line but again the thought of the procedure gives me palpitations. 

Good Luck to everyone on you’re journey. Xxx

Hi crochet helly

Know exactly how u are feeling

I also thought maybe I was getting away with it but gentle joint pain on Friday turned into more aches on Saturday.  All of my joints ach.  Also had bad mouth and neck so feeling pretty sorry for myself today.

I have been using paracetamol and ibuprofen and think it's a bit better today *fingers crossed*

My fingernails are also hurting like they are bruised, anyone else had that?

Hope you guys are feeling a bit better today xx