62218members
327548posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July 2019 chemo starting

Re: July 2019 chemo starting

Thanks LucyLump for replying .  Good to know how if might be and best good luck for your second lot on 25th ... will be thinking of you too x

Hi Silver Pixie, I had my first FEC on the 4th and have the 2nd on the 25th. The process of having it is OK but it did take 3 hours. I was sick that night and then very sleepy for about 5 days afterwards but everyone is different. Some people are not sick at all. On day 7 though it suddenly changed and I felt totally back to normal and I have had 2 weeks feeling absolutely fine. Going in to the 2nd FEC knowing that after a few days it gets better feels so much less scary than the first time. Most of my hair has gone now but I keep telling myself that all side effects are evidence that it is killing fast growing cells and that is exactly what we want so it is OK. We will all be thinking of you on the 29th. Xx

Hello Kip,

thanks for your post .. such a help as I’m about to start FEC on 29th.. feeling apprehensive is an understatement ! 

I think once the first one is done you’ve an idea then how it will work out although I’m not taking anything for granted ! 

Anyone else starting about the same time ? 

Fingers crossed it goes ok🤞

SilverPixie 

Hi LMC88

Sorry to hear you have been getting headaches,  I have been struggling to with migraines. I take sumatriptan and they are helping but the migraines are recurring.  I am on day 13 and have had 2 free migraine days so fingers crossed. I struggled to drink enough water the first week so am hoping that will help next time.

Hi Lucy 

I chickened out of cutting my hair yesterday but its coming out in handfuls now so tomorrow I think :-) the kids are very excited about this! :-)

best wishes everyone xx

Hi Bod, welcome to our wee group too and thank you Jencat for dropping in to see us as well. I am getting Taxine for the final 3 cycles of Fec-T. I have heard it makes you achey but not sick. Good Luck with your second round today. Xx

Hi everyone I’m just getting my 2nd round of IV treatment at the moment. My 1st round of treatment was over 2 days and straddled June/July. 

Hi Lucy Im also HER2 + and the having Herceptin and Perjeta. Bu I’m In also getting Doxataxil ( taxine) and  Carboplatin. So slightly different. TCHP

Anyone else with the same treatment plan as me?

Goodluck everyone 

I'm from the Oct'17 group and just wanted to say hello and like Kip, I wore the travel bands whilst I was having chemo and for a few days afterwards. I wasn't sick either, so I don't know if it was just a coincidence about the bands, but they might be worth a try x

AWW

Hi LMC88, 

Sorry you are having headaches, it's terrible, isn't it.... I had the headaches too, mine was actually migraine, though I usually suffer from migraine before all this, so my GP stocked me up with my medication (sumatriptan), so I took that whenever I got the attack, which helped me. 

My headaches don't go away with just paracetamol, so if you are like me, you will need to talk to your GP. 

All the best. xxx

@LMC88 wrote:

Hi All. I’ve finally made it past the nausea stage 🤞🏼🤞🏼 Still a little tired but not as much. Now it’s just the headaches ☹️ Any advice? I’ve taken paracetamol and try to keep hydrated 

Thank You xx

Well done LMC getting your first chemo out of the way. I am sorry you are having headaches. If you phone the helpline they may be able to give you something else to help. Worth a try anyway. Thank you Kip for all your advice. It is really helpful. I have my tins of prunes ready for this weekend! I have signed up for a Looking Good Feeling Better course at my local Maggie's Centre. It's not until November. They offered me earlier dates but they were just a day or two after chemo sessions so no good but November is (hopefully) after all chemo has finished so I am really looking forward to that. Hope your haircut went OK Kaytee and Dot hope you can go ahead with your 2nd chemo this week too. Had my bloods taken today. Fingers crossed they don't come up with any surprises! By the way our Maggie's centre was built with slopey walls. Have always thought that really odd. Even the little interview rooms have slopey walls. I would not be going in there if I was still feeling sick! Who would think it would be helpful to build a Maggie's Centre that looks like a boat on the outside and feels like a boat keeling over when you are in it! I will only be going in when I feel better! Xx

AWW

Thank you @Kip !!! 

@Kip wrote:

Morning,  just thought I'd pop back in and see if I can offer up any extra tips for you ladies starting out.  The first chemo is so daunting isn't it, not sure what to expect.  I remember going home and just sitting there waiting for something to happen.. with FEC I was generally a bit nauseous the first 2-3 days (bit like morning sickness feeling) but took the pills given and it usually passed.   Don't be a hero and try without the pills, just pop everything they give you, it all helps.  I also wore anti-sickness travel bands during FEC, not sure if they helped but worth a try, I was never actually sick, just a but woozy sometimes.  I found I got weird food cravings though, salt n vinegar crisps and sausage rolls!   So I would say eat what you can when you can, its not time to diet!  If you are having steroids to take just watch out for the emotional dip when you come off of them, not everyone felt it, but I know many do, and I did.  About day 6-7 I would be teary and emotional.. got used to it though and just let it go, husband would keep out of my way!!!   The tummy injections are odd aren't they, I got them but only on random cycles, not every time, don't know why?  Money I expect.  Once I had done one they were ok, just keep them in the fridge but take it out 1/2 hour before using, so its not sooo cold.  I If you suffer from the aches and pains from the injections (usually only lasts a few hours) take paracetomal but always take your temperature BEFORE you take them as it can mask a high one.

Going back to eating, on FEC I got a sore tongue for a few days each cycle, Difflam mouth wash was good (hospital gave me some but you can buy it), but boil some water and add salt and let it cool then use that as a mouth wash after eating, that really helped stop too much soreness.  Ice lollies, sucking sweets, mints, anything ginger, dry crackers.. or indeed frozen grapes (sounds delicious .. wish I had known) they all help.  Oh and Manuka honey - took a spoonful each morning and swilled it around my mouth before swallowing, supposed to be good antiseptic powers.  You may find the steroids/chemo make you constipated.. I did... nurse told me to get Lactulose and take a spoonful every night before bed, definitely helped.  Eat prunes too, they are good.

Pretty much with FEC I found the worse days for SEs were the first week, then I picked back up and could carry on.  I managed to work throughout my chemo (I work from home though and part time so much easier for me - no germs around) and I got out and about with friends, just avoid crowded places during the middle week when white cells are low.  

I saw somebody mentioned the sore scalp when hair sheds.. it is sore, sort of tingly feeling but so much better once I had braved the shave... that's not an easy thing to do... but it does feel so much better when its gone, you can stop wondering and worrying about when it will happen.  Mine fell out big time about day 12 cycle 1, so shaved it all off.  But the good news is by Cycle 6 (docetaxol) it started growing again.  I finished chemo at end of Sept 18 and now its full, curly and grey but grows quickly.  Other hair (everywhere!!!) didn't fall out so soon, eyebrows and lashes remained until about chemo 4-5.  They too came back after a couple of months . 

If you can, see if you can get booked into a Looking Good Feeling Better course. its a half day course for cancer patients and they show you how to draw in eyebrows and do your make up and best of you - you get a big load of freebies, lovely products too.  It was really nice to be with others and so funny trying to get your eyebrows to match!  Best bit of advice I got there was "Eyebrows are sisters..  not twins".. hee hee.

Umm... trying to think of anything else I can add...drink lots, always phone the chemo hotline if you are worried about anything.. they are there to help.  I was worried at first about bothering them but they are brilliant and will always get you sorted.   Take your temperature regularly.. write it down, I kept a little diary and wrote down how I felt each day and at what time I took tablets... chemo brain is real!!  You will see a pattern most cycles so can plan around how the SEs are.  Most of all, take notice of your body,  if you need to sleep .. do it... rest is very important but likewise if you can, get out and take a little stroll. even if its just round the garden, it does help too.  

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you all with my waffle!   It does seem like a long road when you are at the beginning.. but you'll help each other along.. and its amazing when you look back to think "I did that".

Take care and big hugs to you all.

Kip

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Morning,  just thought I'd pop back in and see if I can offer up any extra tips for you ladies starting out.  The first chemo is so daunting isn't it, not sure what to expect.  I remember going home and just sitting there waiting for something to happen.. with FEC I was generally a bit nauseous the first 2-3 days (bit like morning sickness feeling) but took the pills given and it usually passed.   Don't be a hero and try without the pills, just pop everything they give you, it all helps.  I also wore anti-sickness travel bands during FEC, not sure if they helped but worth a try, I was never actually sick, just a but woozy sometimes.  I found I got weird food cravings though, salt n vinegar crisps and sausage rolls!   So I would say eat what you can when you can, its not time to diet!  If you are having steroids to take just watch out for the emotional dip when you come off of them, not everyone felt it, but I know many do, and I did.  About day 6-7 I would be teary and emotional.. got used to it though and just let it go, husband would keep out of my way!!!   The tummy injections are odd aren't they, I got them but only on random cycles, not every time, don't know why?  Money I expect.  Once I had done one they were ok, just keep them in the fridge but take it out 1/2 hour before using, so its not sooo cold.  I If you suffer from the aches and pains from the injections (usually only lasts a few hours) take paracetomal but always take your temperature BEFORE you take them as it can mask a high one.

Going back to eating, on FEC I got a sore tongue for a few days each cycle, Difflam mouth wash was good (hospital gave me some but you can buy it), but boil some water and add salt and let it cool then use that as a mouth wash after eating, that really helped stop too much soreness.  Ice lollies, sucking sweets, mints, anything ginger, dry crackers.. or indeed frozen grapes (sounds delicious .. wish I had known) they all help.  Oh and Manuka honey - took a spoonful each morning and swilled it around my mouth before swallowing, supposed to be good antiseptic powers.  You may find the steroids/chemo make you constipated.. I did... nurse told me to get Lactulose and take a spoonful every night before bed, definitely helped.  Eat prunes too, they are good.

Pretty much with FEC I found the worse days for SEs were the first week, then I picked back up and could carry on.  I managed to work throughout my chemo (I work from home though and part time so much easier for me - no germs around) and I got out and about with friends, just avoid crowded places during the middle week when white cells are low.  

I saw somebody mentioned the sore scalp when hair sheds.. it is sore, sort of tingly feeling but so much better once I had braved the shave... that's not an easy thing to do... but it does feel so much better when its gone, you can stop wondering and worrying about when it will happen.  Mine fell out big time about day 12 cycle 1, so shaved it all off.  But the good news is by Cycle 6 (docetaxol) it started growing again.  I finished chemo at end of Sept 18 and now its full, curly and grey but grows quickly.  Other hair (everywhere!!!) didn't fall out so soon, eyebrows and lashes remained until about chemo 4-5.  They too came back after a couple of months . 

If you can, see if you can get booked into a Looking Good Feeling Better course. its a half day course for cancer patients and they show you how to draw in eyebrows and do your make up and best of you - you get a big load of freebies, lovely products too.  It was really nice to be with others and so funny trying to get your eyebrows to match!  Best bit of advice I got there was "Eyebrows are sisters..  not twins".. hee hee.

Umm... trying to think of anything else I can add...drink lots, always phone the chemo hotline if you are worried about anything.. they are there to help.  I was worried at first about bothering them but they are brilliant and will always get you sorted.   Take your temperature regularly.. write it down, I kept a little diary and wrote down how I felt each day and at what time I took tablets... chemo brain is real!!  You will see a pattern most cycles so can plan around how the SEs are.  Most of all, take notice of your body,  if you need to sleep .. do it... rest is very important but likewise if you can, get out and take a little stroll. even if its just round the garden, it does help too.  

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you all with my waffle!   It does seem like a long road when you are at the beginning.. but you'll help each other along.. and its amazing when you look back to think "I did that".

Take care and big hugs to you all.

Kip

Hi All. I’ve finally made it past the nausea stage 🤞🏼🤞🏼 Still a little tired but not as much. Now it’s just the headaches ☹️ Any advice? I’ve taken paracetamol and try to keep hydrated 

Thank You xx

Thank you so much Kip. I am having the same as you except with Herceptin and Perjeta instead of Tamoxifen. I have my second cycle on Thursday this week. Morning everyone. Hope you are all managing Ok. Xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi July ladies,   looks like you've found a great support base already but just wanted to say hi.  I was diagnosed in April 18 and had FECT chemo, mastectomy ANC clearance, radiotherapy and now Tamoxifen so if I can help in any way give me a shout. 

Keep posting... Just being there for each other really helps and you pick k up great tips.

Sending hugs 

Kip

Sorry to hear that Dot. Fingers crossed for next week. Xx

The frozen grapes were delicious and kept my mouth lovely and cool Smiley Happy 

Unfortunately, I didn't get to eat them while having my second chemo. 2 of my liver enzymes were too high so treatment deferred til next week depending on blood results. Fair to say, I was gutted. I didn't want chemo but now I'm worrying incase I can't have it!!!!

Also ended up with a nasty reaction to my PICC line dressing so had to go back to hospital to get it redressed yesterday. Upgraded me to an IV3000 which feels sooooooo much better.

Onwards and upwards!!

Morning everyone. Just to let you know when your hair falls out it feels a bit prickly. Not exactly sore but an odd sort of prickly!

Hi , 

i had fist chemo last Friday and felt much the same as yourself. Luckily no nausea but achy bones. I am not too sure what i am doing either. I tried to send a hug to someone yesterday but nothing happened. We will learn. Hope you have a better night tonight 

Hi Mini, the ones I had were called filgrastin. They stimulate the bone marrow to produce more white blood cells in order to reduce the risk of us getting an infection. The chemotherapy reduces our white blood cells and these injections try to make up for it (at least I think so!). Xx

Hello Lucylump,

Do you mind if iask you what the tummy injections are called n what do they do ??

thanks. Mini mad xx

Hi Kenny1970, of course we won't throw you off. We are all lovely on here! Sorry to hear you have been having such an awful time. Your description sounds very like how it was for me a couple of weeks ago. I too was thinking how on earth can I do this. The sickness/ nausea though did wear off though after the first day. I slept loads for the next 5 days and then on day 6 felt so much better. I have my second chemo next week and am now thinking 'bring it on'. Hopefully it will be like this for you too but if not phone the cancer helpline number. They can give you better nausea tablets and apparently they have some which work really really well so if you are still feeling sick give them a phone and see what they can do to help. Yeah I know what you mean about the injections. I told them there was no way I could do them to myself so they agreed to send round the community nurse to do them for me every day. Next time they are swapping them for a one off injection instead of the 7. Apparently it does the same job but is more expensive so they don't routinely use it. Worth asking for though for anyone who finds injections difficult. Hope your sinus pain gets better soon and you have a better night tonight. Xx

Hi

I had my first chemotherapy session yesterday I was the same it went ok and then I got this bag and what the hell are these injections about? No one told me about them! Last night we difficult feeling nauseous and restless quite emotional thinking how the hell will I get through the next 4/5 months? Today I felt very very tired felt better after breakfast but then made the mistake going out for a few hours without eating felt crap nauseous, fatigue emotional. Had some lunch felt better lay down and recharged. It just comes over you oh and had sinus’s pain to add to my hot sweets as on the menopause but can’t take anything as my cancer was hormone based!

Moan over xx

Hi

i think I have just pressed the wrong bloody button and reported a post! I am so sorry!

i really don’t know what I am doing my apologies.

i wanted to add onto the July Chemotherapy start dates but you will probably throw me off now!

Had my first session yesterday but crappy worst last night and today very tired feeling nauseous and emotional.

xx

Good Luck today LMC. We are all thinking of you. I took a magazine with me, snack food and water. It took about 3 hours and the actual process was no problem at all. It knocked me for about 6 days afterwards but now I feel back to my old self so all good. Really sorry to hear you are having migraines and awful stomach acid Kaytee. Hope it sorts gets better soon. I also got a new mattress and I love it! I love the idea of your kids doing the haircut. That could be lots of fun! It will grow back again and I have already told my hairdresser she can dye mine pink when it does. By the way one other odd thing.....have also been getting really intense cravings (bizarrely like being pregnant) for tuna wraps and chips! Xx

Hi Lucy 

Sorry to hear your hair is going but I loved your positive response. Xx

I am getting my kids to cut my hair off at the weekend as I thought it would be less scary for them to see it happening and have a laugh about it rather than just suddenly mums bold ! 

Hi all

Glad to read everyone is progressing as well as can be expected with their chemo.

I had my first one last Tuesday and apart from being sick that night and generally not feeling well I was ok until Saturday when I got a really bad migraine which I just couldn't shift. I ended up ringing the help desk for advice in the end on Sunday morning . Not much they can do tho so just keep taking tablets :-(

Feel a bit better today but have developed a really bad acid stomach every time I swallow.  It's quite painful. Anyone else had this?

Anyway had a new mattress delivered this morning so hopefully that will help with the insomnia!

Best wishes everyone x

That’s great. I’m dreading the side effects. First chemo today and to say I’m scared is an understatement. Any tips of what to take with me? Xx

Day 14 - hair definitely falling out otherwise all good. Telling myself hair falling out shows that chemo is working and that those nasty fast growing cells are being zapped. Hope you are all managing ok. Xx

Love the frozen grape idea! Xx

Just been reading that claritin somehow helps with the joint pain that is caused by herceptin and chemo. I'm paranoid about doing harm so I'll double check that tomorrow when I go for bloods.

Another article suggested freezing red grapes to eat while having chemo treatment as they cool your mouth to prevent ulcers and they also have anti cancer properties if eaten regularly. I'm off to freeze my grapes ready for cycle 2 on Wednesday...

Hi, i had my first chemo on Friday, hip and leg pains started this morning. Not too bad but was told to expect them. I am on docetaxel and carboplatin. Luckily no nausea either as yet

Hip pains went but are now back with a vengeance. Trying to go for a walk each day in hope it keeps me supple. Feel like an old woman though!!! Anyone else had hip/pelvis/leg pain? 

Community Champion

Hi LMC88

I had a PICC line put in prior to starting chemo (I'm from the Oct 18 starters) 

- it was straight forward.. i had a local anaesthetic, the line is then inserted into your arm, I had an x-ray to make sure it was in the right place and then a dressing is put over it! You do have to have the line flushed once a week and the dressing changed but the District Nurse came to my house to do that! Some ladies have to go to the chemo unit for this! You would also need a waterproof cover for when you're showering!

It was much easier having the PICC line for chemo..have bloods taken from it..I had antibiotics through mine and even a blood transfusion! Far easier that needles in dodgy veins! 

Best wishes to you all...hope all goes well with your treatment x 💕💕

Hi Dot, welcome to our group. Hope your pains go away soon for you. Xx

Hi, I've just registered but have been reading these forums for a while for nuggets of advice. Started chemo and herceptin last Wednesday 10th July. Having 12 weekly paclitaxel. Thought I was doing ok and feeling rather pleased no sickness or other side effects but I have now developed the most horrendous pains in my hips!!! Think this may be due to herceptin?? Hoping paracetamol kick in soon....

AWW

Hi everyone,

Glad to know we are all making progress and coping well with Chemo. 

So far so good for me too, I have had no sleep or fatigue issues, taste bud fine, just headache once in a while but I do suffer from migraine so am not surprised.

Last night I started feeling shoulder and back pains up till now, (I don't know if it is chemo related) so I am taking paracetamol to help with that.

Other than that everything else is good. 

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Sorry Kilmarn got changed to Kilmarnock 🤔pesky auto text gremlins xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Well done Kilmarnock 👍flower hows your heart rate? Might be idea to use the nurse facility on here. Great news no brca gene, we’re you triple negative bc? If so Patricia prijatel’s book surviving triple negative bc is very good and I found it helpful. Also tn survivors Shannon Doherty and robin Roberts in USA have inspired me ❤️Lucylump you are doing great, you all are 👍👍💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Kaytee, Aww and Crochet-Helly hope you are all managing Ok too. Xx

Yay well done Kilmaron for getting started as well. That is great news. Flower fantastic news too about your tests. Hope you can sleep better soon. So pleased your temperature is staying ok as well and LMC you will be started soon too. I am afraid I don't know about Picc lines either. Hope you all have a good day. Xx

Hi LucyLump,

Getting out and about, that's fantastic! Heart

I am happy to hear that your sleeping pattern returned to normal, it gives me hope that I will be fine sleep wise in a couple of days. HeartSmiley Happy

Hi LMC88,

So good to hear from you and I am glad that all goes smoothly with your recovery. Smiley Happy

I do not know much about PICC, I got a port, sorry. I heard that inserting a PICC does not require surgery but I could be wrong?

Take care Heart

xx

Hi everyone,

i had my first chemo TC yesterday. Took over two hours to get cannula in as veins were not performing. I am trying the cool cap and it was really not so bad.it did add 90 minutes onto session at end though. Feeling fine this morning so far, lots of drugs and injections to look forward to now.hopefully they will keep nausea and infection at bay. Glad to be reading everyone else is doing ok or getting over their problems.

hope the weekend is king to us xx

Dear Shi and LucyLump, I will definitely do, thank you for reassuring me that it is the right thing to do. No paracetamol since yesterday  evening, my temperature is normal and this morning (apart  from the usual 2-5pm insomnia) I feel much better. I have to catch up on sleep for sure  so I will nap whenever I can. One thing, maybe it is odd that I mention it, but my heart rate is low. I genetically have a low blood pressure  and my heart rate was always low due to exercising 5x/week. I haven't  seen the gym since end of May and now my resting  heart rate in the morning and at bed time  is lower than ever, around 58. Otherwise  I feel fine. Should I worry about this?

I forgot to mention  that my genetic test for BRCA1 and BRCA2 came back  negative. Smiley Happy

How is everyone feeling this morning?

Xx

Hi all 

hopefully things are getting back on track and starting chemo in the next 2 weeks. 

Quick question, has anyone had a PICC line fitted? 

Flower hope you are feeling better soon ❤️

Xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Flower ❤️Please watch your temp like a hawk and even with no temp if you don’t feel right get to a&E over the weekend show them your rapid response card and tell them you are on chemo ❤️You can’t be of a mindset oh’ll i’ll Have a paracetamol and see in an hour or so, not during chemo and your units would rather you ring them to double check things because it helps them keep you safe during chemo ❤️💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Oh my goodness Flower you are having to cope with so many things. I really hope that throat infection doesn't get worse. Being on a drip for a few days does not sound good. I am still doing well. Managed to take the dog to the vet this morning (she is fine too) and also do a bit of shopping. Sleep wise mine has returned to normal for me too. Hope you can sleep better tonight. Hi everyone else. Thinking of you all. Xx

Hi Shi and LucyLump,

I called them up yesterday and I had an appointment today. My chemo doctor gave medication for the flush/rash, as my neck and chest were still quite bad. Probably the numbing pain has nothing to do with any infections, it is probably a side effect of Taxotere that should be better by Wednesday. She made an appointment for me with the ENT doc. He said that my ears are clear, but I have a throat infection. He said it is a mild one and he can not give anything for it now, it should be sorted by itself by mid next week. If not and I will get feverish, I need to be on antibiotic drips for a couple of days. Fingers crossed that this is not going to happen. 

My bad luck that one of my fillings fell out yesterday while I was flossing so I had to see my dentist today. (I went to see him a week before chemo for a chek u and everything was good.) Luckily she is close by to the hospital and she was free to fix it. Smiley Happy Altogether it was a better day than yesterday, I spent 5 hours out of the house by myself going to the hospital and to the dentist, and I managed to have a nice lunch as well. I was wrecked when I got home and needed a long nap. Yesterday night I was up from 3am-5am for no reason, ugh... Anyone experiencing partial insomnia or is it just my broken sleeping pattern? 

Shi, you are so right, there is no such thing as 'trivial infection' during chemo, thank you for your advice.

LucyLump, how are you doing today? 

xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Flower have you rung your rapid response number? Best to check with them if not, any kind of infection ‘ no matter how trivial’ you might think it is cannot be treated as ‘triviak’ During chemo, please keep safe ❤️💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Oh Flower an ear infection is really bad luck. Hope your gp can sort that for you asap. Don't wait till tomorrow to see them if you don't have to. LMC we will all have our fingers crossed for you starting next week. One weird thing.... have developed an absolute aversion to the smell of soap. Spent part of this morning searching Tesco.com for unscented ones! Also noticed that lack of appetite earlier in the week has resulted in 6lbs weight loss. Could be a bonus but I suspect I will make up for it soon! Xx