cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 2018 Chemo Starters

SallyG63

Re: June 2018 Chemo Starters

Jesus I look fat there. 

That's after taking most of my hair off pre chemo and going back to a pre husb and style.

3 cycles done with the cold cap and it's still there, a tiny bit thinner, but noticeable only to me.

SallyG63

IMG-20180601-WA0005.jpg

RedRose

Me on a normal basis 9640E613-B056-4784-B4E1-CC212C8B710F.jpeg

RedRose

9000D536-44B0-43FE-A956-3E08A7315EED.jpeg

ktk

Hi Lisa. Well done. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page and go on the Full version rather than mobile the usual edit features appear when you post. You are looking for the icon with the mountain. It allows you to upload pics from your photos. Can’t wait to see 😁❤️
RedRose

8E47D40B-0440-4D5F-95BF-BCC525E062E7.jpegGood morning ladies, so how do you get a photo on here. Yesterday I braved the shave as I could not take the shedding anymore. Luckily it’s not as bad as I thought and I must admit I am quite relieved. One of my best friends is a hairdresser so last night us 4 ladies sat with a few glasses of 🍷 other half had his 🍺 and we did it. Emotional but cleansing, I had my heart set on it looking normal for my step sons birthday party on Sunday as I didn’t want anything reminding him of cancer then, it’s his day. But sadly it wasn’t meant to be. Hope all you ladies are ok this morning? I’m feeling ok, pretty normal, must be the insomnia is back lol. Oncologist appointment later on today too, so we will see how I am progressing and see what he say about the supposed golfers elbow xxx

ktk

Clare do you have some as and when meds for nausea?metoclopramide? I have found that they help a lot. They work on your brain to stop the feeling of sickness. I was awake at 4.30. But that is not unusual as Tom would say! 😁❤️
ktk

Well second day after chemo. I’ve had a decent night’s sleep and woken with only a slight headache. I’ve not been to the loo yet and mustn’t let constipation build up this time so I’ll up the Macrogol today I think. I start the Filgrastim injections today so will have bone pain in a few days. At least I have some codeine to help this time. All in all I seem to have recovered quicker this time around. I hope it is the same for the rest of you this week xx
cdc1811

Been awake for a couple of hours. Having to eat crisps at 5am to stave off nausea!!! Anyone else having these issues? Going to try and get back to sleep by listening to some relaxation music. Thankfully I can have a restful day. Hope everyone is fairing ok. I’d take the nausea over the psychological downer of more steroids anyday but I’m finding feeling sick hard going. Hopefully it will subside by next week.
Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Inspirational, beautiful, 💪💪💪ladies, you are going to be a 😁😁😁💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻🤪🤪🤪🤪thread like our Oct 🚂 was last year, bum buttering tips with mirrors is meesh’s Speciality if you need them when you get botty back up on the meds. Hang onto each other tight and you’ll be ringing the 🛎 🛎 before you know it👍👍👍were all cheering you on ladies and Sunbed’s awaiting in club Tropicana thread for when you’ve completed treatment 🏖💕💕shi xx
ktk

You look great Clare. I think the problem with wigs and scarves is that you are constantly checking to see if they are still ok. Your lovely bald head doesn’t change. Go for it my love ❤️
cdc1811

Aww you look great ktk. Haven’t braved going out bald but I think it’s something I’ll be able to do in the future. X
ktk

Seems to have sorted itself!!
ktk

Ok. How do I get back to the mobile site please?
ktk

223C4D04-6D8C-4EB2-AA18-48E9A92E9AC4.jpeg196D1737-E803-46A7-945C-FB19E3390E01.jpegThanks for the advice. Here is me for those who haven’t stalked me on FB. Quite honestly I know I won’t wear a wig and I am finding being bald very liberating.  I do have some scarves but I think I am wearing them more for others than myself so I don’t bother! Need to keep the sun off though and will have to cover up when it gets cold!

cdc1811

Hi Reddi
Thanks for the encouraging words. My OH has said he’s probably used to it more than me because I only see myself in the mirror and as I don’t wear a scarf or hat indoors he and my daughter and my Mum all say the same even after a couple of days. I showed my bald photos to a couple of the Mums and Dads at school and they were all so complimentary and supportive. I’m happy for you to show you my photos on here and I also googled photos online before I went for the shave. My hair started coming out very quickly once I noticed the first few strands were loose. I found it itchy so the shave was worth it for me. Even the stubble is coming out now! I think there is a certain comfort in having a variety of head coverings including a wig but for me I think my allergy to certain materials will mean I wouldn’t wear mine anyway because the webbing inside really irritates my skin and makes it very uncomfortable. How are others getting on with their wigs?
I was also thinking of attending tomorrow’s protest but I know it would be madness as I’m so fatigued at the moment and after coming back from my daughter’s school I hit the hay for over 2 hours. My Californian cousins keep me updated on all the regulations Trump has overturned, particularly with regards to wildlife and the environment as they work in the area of conservation. They are truly frightened that he has so much power. His racist rhetoric is hideous too

reddi

One question to the board: It would be daft for me to go to the Trump protest in London tomorrow afternoon, right? I'm still in my WBC trough, and though I'm on the antibiotics after my fever/neutropenia episode last weekend, those aren't going to stop the viruses...

reddi

@Kip & @cdc -- y'all look amazingly terrific. So inspiring -- especially as I lost my first clump of hair last night, about 10 minutes after the final whistle, a bit of lost lion's mane, no doubt (though I'm mixing my genders and nationalities). I've been prepping my OH for the shave, but I can tell he's dreading it, more so than I am. 

I can't decide about getting a wig. My hairdresser had arranged an appointment for us, but then I landed in hospital and we had to cancel it. Do I rebook or just wait and see how I take to scarves and beanies? Do any of you think you'll wear your wig at all? (I'm thinking I wouldn't in summer, but come October...)

Hope the SEs and headaches -- literal and figurative -- ease off for those having them, and stay away from those blessed to be avoiding them thus far in your cycle 2s. 

xo,

r.

HelenaR_BCC

Hi ktk,

If you're on your mobile, scroll down to the bottom of the page, where there should be an option to 'view full site', as highlighted below:

forum.JPG

You'll then be able to post a picture by clicking the symbol in the toolbar as cdc1811 mentioned. When on a mobile we do recommend using the mobile version for best user experience - the full site is best accessed on your desktop. 

Thanks,

Helena at Breast Cancer Care

Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

JuJustu3 - Hello, haven't seen  you on here lately, just sending a hug and hope all ok!  Kip xx

Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Wow CDC you look great!!  Love the photos and glad the SEs are calming down.  I think I am on the other side now, still had a bit of nausea yesterday but took the pills and it helped.   KTK glad you got your chemo done, albeit a long day.  My Onc was nice but didn't really give me much info, and doesn't want to see me until after 1st T, which isn't until August (end of I think).  

Its easy to post photos... you click on the insert image link about (one like mountain landscape) and upload them from your files, (I am on a PC, so not sure if this is the same for laptop or tablet) I'm not sure if you have to tick the "public album" box, I did because I had seen somewhere where photos cannot be seen because they were private.   It will be great to see everyone rocking their new looks, I love to see what headwear everyone has chosen, such a variety.  I received another one today in the post (more on line shopping I'd forgotten about) which is really soft cotton and has elastic at the back which and short tails which look already tied, very comfy!

cdc1811

There’s a photo button in the menu at the top of the comments box next to a link option looks like a black silhouette of a mountain with a sun.  I just clicked on that and was able to download form my photo library.  Think I did it on my iPad but might work on the phone too.  I’m enjoying seeing people’s photos.  The fashion show was amazing- the kids had worked so hard but now I’m shatters so off for a nap. Hope you are doing ok today. Xxx

ktk

So how did you post photos? Do you have to be on a laptop? Can’t work it out on my phone! X
ktk

Sounds like great fun Clare. I hope the show goes well. Xx
cdc1811

Thanks ktk
Hope your headache has subsided overnight.
I’m feeling brighter and no more vomiting thank goodness. Onwards and upwards.
Glad your kids are helping out whilst your OH is away. My Mum has come up to help - real roll reversal as I did the same for her when she was going through treatment last year. She’s 81 but pretty fit except we both like going for a nap in the afternoon. It’s great!
Off to the Yr 4 fashion show at my daughters school. She made a Celtic outfit with a small group and will be modelling it today. She insisted my OH plaited her hair last night and has now got an amazing wavy headed, fiery red hairdo so she should look the part!!
Have a good day xxx
ktk

Clare you look amazing. Too hot for wigs anyway. I have only been wearing a hat or scarf to keep the sun off. I don’t bother if I’m just popping to the shops.

We left about 4pm yesterday, so six hours including the oncologist appointment. They are so nice in the chemo unit but were dreadfully understaffed yesterday. I fell asleep during the football and kept waking up to see the score had changed. My worst se is the cracking headache so far but I won’t be doing much today. OH is away but my ‘children’ are looking after me really well.

Hope everyone is doing ok. Lots of love Kxxx
cdc1811

In the first photo it looks like I have a strange blonde pony tail but it belongs to the receptionist behind me! Scarf was lent to me by my friend who is an 8 year BC survivor and the wig was one I got free via a charity from the hospital. It hasn’t been styled but as I don’t think I’ll be wearing it I’m going to leave it in the bag so hopefully someone else can make use of it.
cdc1811

1DCB8C4B-DBDA-446D-AAD1-B7A5F4335320.jpegA29519CB-4339-46C0-9C3E-D40E75EABD6A.jpegA831E71C-0312-48C5-ACE6-81275551298F.jpeg

cdc1811

Oh ktk want a frustrating morning. Hope you didn’t have to wait long for the chemo after the appointment with the oncologist. Do you get on with them. I wasn’t sure I really liked mine the first couple of tomes I saw her but she was so lovely and helpfulon Monday and seemed to want to help in any way she could. My Mum was with her and wondered if she preferred talking with women! She seemed abrasive the two times I went with my OH. Hope you’re feeling ok and SEs are minimal. All the best!

Thanks for the hugs Em always appreciated.
cdc1811

Hope you’ve been feeling better as the day has gone one Sally and that you continue to improve.

Kip you’re an inspiration. You really looks so wonderful in all your guises, pretty in pink, beautiful bald and wonderful in a wig! How do you post your photos on here. Happy to do the same and show everyone it’s really not so bad.  In fact I’m enjoying trying out different styles of scarves and headwear.  I loved how you dealt with the ladies in the shop.  I don’t mind people telling me about cancer stories BUT ionly if they have a positive ending!!  What were they think8ng??

i really do think you look fab and pleased to hear the twanging worked! 

Best Wiishes 

Clare xx

Embolorry

Good luck to all cycle 2ers!
Sally hope you are on the mend!
Kip, love your photos and let all those unhelpful comments from strangers go, they don’t know what they are saying and they don’t think!
Sending hugs to all,
Em
Xx
ktk

Just seen the oncologist. What a waste of time! Now waiting for chemo 😁.

Kip, love the photos. You look great!

Hope you have a better day Sally. Love to all xx
SallyG63

Hi Kip,

You rock the bald look!

As for the ladies in the shop I'd probably have said something like"thanks for that, I'll try not to die on the way home!"

Always leave them squirming. 🙂
Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi CDC just replying to your note about your hair getting darker, I have a friend who has been through this nightmare and she had very fine, very blond straight hair before chemo and when it returned it was thick, dark and curly and still is!
Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Well here we are... in all my baldie glory (also one with my wig and one a la Mrs Mop..  no wonder I scared the village!) but embracing the baldiness for what its worth, for those of you facing the shave shortly... don't be scared if I can go out looking like this we all can....  Kip xx

P1030001.JPGP1030002.JPGP1030007.JPG

Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi all,  well the "twanging" worked, gave it a good massage and a few twangs and "pop" it cracked and disappeared, I'll definately try the door frame exercises but as Im quite small not sure I can reach the door frame Smiley Very Happy 

Last night I braved the village and shops with only a head scarf, today I've been in to our local bakers and the ladies in there tried their best not to stare and in the end I thought..."sod this" and just told them why I was wearing a pirate style bandana... they couldn't hide their embarrassment quick enough... so just to make them squirm a bit more I whipped it off and flashed the baldie!   Liberating and very naughty but such fun!  Isn't it funny what people say when faced with your telling them you have breast cancer?  One of the ladies thought it would be helpful to react by saying "Oh I lost my sister last year at 58 to breast cancer"?????***!*!*!*!*!  How is that helping me?   Oh well she probably meant well, although she followed it up with "and I lost a brother and my husband has lost 2".... not the best shopping experience ever, next time I'll go dressed as a very scary skinhead and see what she thinks Smiley Wink

Good luck to cycle 2-ers today, hope the SEs are kind, I'm going to try to upload a baldie photo for you all to see, not very tech minded though so it may not work...

Take care

Kip

It's coming home..

SallyG63

Morning all.

Good luck to those on the coal face today.

I've had to take another day off sick. I think the combination of insulin, filgrastim and clexane injections have sent my body unto shock and I've had awful diarrhoea this morning (TMI?). Arms still hurting, hopefully that'll improve soon too.

Regards cording, a good exercise is to grab the top of the doorframe and walk yourself backwards and forwards a couple of times to stretch it. I got into the habit of doing it nearly every time I walked through a doorway and it soon stretched it out.
cdc1811

Hi Kip How did the twanging go?! Successful I hope. I haven’t had any cording as yet but I’ve also hear if I get it I should try stretching the arm as lbs much as possible till I hear a sound of it breaking! Sound painful.  It’s definitely worth asking your team about other med options.  I was told by the head of the Maggies Centre who used to be a senior Chemo nurse, that I should continue taking anti-nausea med even when I wasn’t feeling nauseous.

How is everyone doing today? I’m trying out some new meds and fewer steroids this week.  From today I now have to take two before I eat and two when I eat for a number of days as well as trying just one day of steroids.  Unfortunately, the meds they gave me at the hospital were not too effective and I ended up vomiting 3 times and feeling very grim yesterday evening.,  My temperature is also hovering around the 36 degree mark which is low for me.  Chemo hotline said to try and get some sleep and see if the side effects lessen. Thankfully I had the best nights sleep I’ve had in ages and feel considerably better today.  Going to take it easy tho I’ll also try a little walk at some point.  

Ive got two more AC before I start my 4 x Taxol.  I’m intrigued/worried as to how my hair will grow back.  Bizarrely when the hairdresser shaved off the last bits for  me we noticed that ithe hair was considerably darker since stating the chemo so I’m wondering if it will grow back dark brown.  I’m  usually blondish especially when I’ve been in the sun.  

Ktk what a catch!  You’re becoming an expert!  Love seeing the photos.  

Take care everyone.  Will have a proper read through of everyone’s posts at some point but feeling a little weary even though I o ky got up half an hour ago! Definitely planning on a restful day.

RedRose

Good luck today ladies having their chemo session, stay strong 💪🏻 You have got this. 😘 xx
cdc1811

Just a quickie to say Good luck for Cycle 2tomorrow LJ and ktk!  Best wishes to you and everyone on the thread xxx

LJ

Gosh so much has happened to so many in the last few days. Glad to hear everything's starting to sort itself out. 

Cycle two for me tomorrow. Saw the oncologist yesterday, she was happy with my lack of side effects and doesn't want to see me again until just before cycle four when I start Taxol. Bloods also taken yesterday so fingers crossed they're all fine. Am losing some hair now - not loads, certainly not clumps, you certainly can't tell yet. More fingers crossed that the cold cap continues to help. Am going to the hairdresser on Thursday, just a small trim I think as I can't have colour, but will be interesting to see if she can feel any difference. 

Oh well, best start pulling things together for the morning. See you on the other side!

LJ

Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Glad you are out Sally!   Well done CDC for getting through cycle 2 and for everyone ticking off another day on the chemo train!   I've spoken to my BCN about the cording, she has told me to lie on my bed with my arm over my head hanging off the bed and then "twang the cord until it pops!"... sounds wonderful.. if that doesn't work she will get me some physio.  So after shower tonight I will be twanging.. ooo er missus!!  

Sorry can't remember who posted that some ladies have grown hair whilst on T.. that's a positive in this bleak world if nothing else.... although am starting to worry just what type of hair I may get back.. any will be better than I guess... hopefully curls....???

Have a good evening, now off out for a walk to blow away the sickly feeling that is still persisting on and off, might have to see if I can swap nausea meds... although saying that I haven't taken any today... perhaps thats why but just like to take as little as possible if I can... probably not what I should be doing.

Night night..

Kip xxx

reddi

@Sally For you: 🥚🛌 / Real stuff much better, of course. Sleep well.

SallyG63

Finally home. Spent 12 of the last 22 hours at the hospital.

Maybe this is karma for being so smug about having no side effects from chemo.

Glad your second one was better CDC.

It's not even noticeably swollen Jem, It just felt lumpy and wrong. As soon as the sonographer(?) started scanning my arm I could see bits of clots, she didn't need to tell me.

All I want now is boiled egg and sleep
JemPD

Sally 😖 sorry you’ve had such a rubbish night and day- sounds so similar to my experience with my clots- a and e useless. To reassure you once it was confirmed dvt and had clexane injections arm pain and size returned to normal in 2 days. You are so amazing injecting yourself - I guess with your diabetes your use to it.. my Hubbie has to inject me- he calls it ‘grabbing and srabbing’ time. Hope pain and swelling ease quickly.jem xx
cdc1811

Gosh - So Sorry everyone is going through the mill!
Thankfully I had a good experience with 2nd cycle. The drugs were ready and waiting when I arrived! All in all I was at the hospitalfor 3 hours from start to finish. It took 5 hours just for the pharmacy to make up and release the drugs last time! (Even had a bit of excitement when some amazing planes in formation flew over to commemorate the centenary of the RAF. Such a great view from the 7th floor!!) Canula went in fine because my chemo nurse read my notes- stuck my hand in a bucket of warm water first and was able to find a decent vein. He was very experienced so it was only slightly painful. Home now and I do feel sick but sucking on a Queasy Pop whilst waiting for my anti-nausea meds to kick in and will then have a sleep. Catch up with everyone when I’m feeling a bit more with it xxx
SallyG63

So after no side effects, blood clot confirmed in arm. Been told it's easier to treat as I only have canula ls for chemo rather than a picc line. Waiting to collect my clexane injections but there's an hour wait at the pharmacy.

Between them, filgrastim and insulin my body is going to be a right pin cushion.
reddi

And just saw @LisaMarie is cool as a cucumber, too. Efficient!
reddi

@Sally So low! Wow. I'm impressed. 

[To add: Yeah, you cannot be waiting til you hit 38 to go to A&E.]

SallyG63

My normal temperature is around 35.5.

Maybe I'm a reptile.