cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

June 2018 Chemo Starters

Highlighted

Re: June 2018 Chemo Starters

Hi,

Had 2nd T Thursday (2 within a week cos they couldn't do me my normal Friday).Again no side effects. Blood sugars completely back to normal this morning. It's so much better just having one steroid infusion instead of the tablets. Off to a barbecue this afternoon where I fully intend to stuff my face.

Hi Kip,

We are getting there , I bet you are a bit nervous with the change of drugs. Let me know how you get on ๐Ÿ˜˜

Karen
X
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Well done Karen half way through! Just been to hospital for pre chemo bloods, fingers crossed all ok for Monday's poisoning, just need to get it done.. first T!
Highlighted

Morning Ladies,

Back to the June thread as not posted here for a while and I think the late June starters have all stayed here.

Halfway , yay cycle 3 done yesterday and without much trouble at all home by 12 after 8.30 ish start , even the C drug which cause me most grief on the FEC went in ok! Now onto T for next 4 , well first two over two days then two more I think all being well.
Seems we are all redecorating and getting new bedding etc , driving my OH mad getting stuff delivered , sometimes I donโ€™t even know whatโ€™s in them till I open them ๐Ÿคฃ. I think boredom and spending more time at home gives us time to look around and want to make changes.
Husbands can be tricky creatures to deal with , just because we put on a brave face to save the family collapsing does not mean we are ok, itโ€™s more for our children and grandchildren than them. I feel I have to say itโ€™s all ok as if I panic it will create that within the whole family. Kip and co you are not alone , I was told yesterday well you have not done much today why are you so knackered! Not when I had been at hospital for half of it and been injected with 3 doses of poison. Death stare and restraint from punching him right in the face ๐Ÿ‘Š, you want to see him with a bloody cold...
I have strayed to do crochet and mid way though doing a little blanket for my granddaughter due in 5 weeks , itโ€™s quite easy to do plain but have tutorials on hats on you tube which I might have a go at next, tried last cycle at two in the morning but it would sink in how to start off but will try again.

I hope all are doing well , we are all getting there and this journey can only make us stronger and wiser people. Strangely I have found the people I least expected have stepped up and been the most considerate, work colleagues I have not been particularly close to , friends of friends etc being kind a helpful. Opens our eyes to the small things this condition and that has made me revaluate things slightly.
Quite a deep post for early morning ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Keep up the good work all ๐Ÿ˜˜

Karen
X
Highlighted

I have had bad indigestion this time. I had a bit last time but ignored it! It feels like I have something stuck in my throat and I find it really hard to swallow even liquids. And then I get heartburn. Might ring the GP on Monday and get something. Any suggestions as to what works best?
Highlighted

Hi Kip,

i had terrible heart burn / indigestion following my last chemo. I couldnโ€™t lie down to sleep for 2 nights, eat or drink !! 

Sorted out drug regimen at the hospital and no problem so far this time. 

Apparently I should have been having drugs to line my stomach before the anti sickness drugs which upset the lining of your stomach. So, I now take Omeprazole twice a day EVERY day regardless of when I take the antisickness drugs and it has worked for me. 

I had been given Metoclopramide and was told to stop them as they can clash with other drugs and make heartburn worse. 

Hope this helps 

Floss 

Highlighted

Lovely photos Lisa - the turbans look great. Havent checked out eBay so will take a look.

Iโ€™ve had a lovely couple of days down in Surrey. My OH took the day off work to join us last night. I, feeling much more forgiving after getting some rest. He has been extremely apologetic and does now know not to use my very personal experiences when talking to others.

Sorry to here about the IBS. Both OH and a good friend suffer with it. Has made life very difficult and eating out impossible at times. Seems to be related to stress in the case of my OH. Sorry youโ€™re having to deal with it on top of everything else. I havenโ€™t had anything like that but still dealing with constipation.

Totally unrelated but I periodically get a really strange feeling on chemo which I donโ€™t know quite how to describe- nearest I can get is that it feels like someone is putting some sort of poisonous fluid between my skull and my scalp. It really is quite ghastly. Donโ€™t know if itโ€™s to do with hairr loss? Itโ€™s almost like a cold sensation but not quite. Thankfully it usually only lasts a few minutes a day and I can distract myself from it. Has anyone had anything similar??

Will give the game a go Sue. Thanks for the link.
Highlighted

Am only taking it sparodically when the heart burn and indigestion gets bad. Seems atm I can manage that way. Had gaviscon chewable ones but the taste horrible on chemo atm lol xx
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh thats good then, my mum has ranetidine daily and I also had omeprazole, now don't take anything, except during chemo when I just managed with Gaviscon. 

Highlighted

The one the doctor gave me are one a day hard capsules of Omeprazole xx
Highlighted

I get an infusion of ranatidine with the taxol to stop heartburn and indigestion.

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh Lisa heartburn and indigestion is the worst, at the worst time for me I was in agony I tried all sorts of pills from the doctors, when I was on Lanzoprazole it made my blood iron levels low so be warned! The GP wouldn't have it that it was the drug but I did some research and found it could so they changed me and it was fine again, my Mum had same trouble
Highlighted

Hi Ladies, Sue did one for you. Been playing words with friends on messenger with the other half for chemo brain, that tends to help me if any of you fancies a game xx
Highlighted

Hello ladies

Can I interest any of you in a game to help us combat chemo brain????? It's on this forum in the coffee lounge /chat and games section and is called word association again. I've been trying to play but it only gets s very occasional other visitor and it's not much fun playing against yourself

I think this link might take you to it
https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chat-and-games/WORD-ASSOCIATION-AGAIN/td-p/159964

Hope to see you over there: Let's get that gray matter pumping ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ˜ต

Sue xx
Highlighted

It fine Kip honestly, as I said get called Sarah a lot, and because there is a lot of L names in the family I usually get called one of the others or blondie! Had my IBS since in teens from a holiday in malia. Long time to get it under control and still have cheat days but make sure not going anywhere, love a dippy egg and soldiers. At 39 just started suffering with heart burn and indigestion during chemo and wish I hadnโ€™t, gp given me some heartburn tablets, as it gets so bad feels like a panic attack. Just checked and Iโ€™m having the Docetaxel to, chemo brain thought it was but had to check xx
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

HI Lisa (yayyy) sorry for calling you Michelle - definate chemo brain!   My IBS started when I turned 40, had a few years of lots of tests, scans etc and they put it down to that.  I suffer more with C than D and it has really improved over the last year or so, I tend to get flare ups which leave me with indigestion and pain higher up.   Thankfully its not been too bad of late.  Garlic upsets my tummy though.  I love your photos, you look fab and you still have some hair, thats good too, mine is 1/4 inch (if that in places) of spikes, but a bit sparse and looking very white so still pretty much bald.  I love your hairbands with the turbans, I hadn't though of that, might have to do some online shopping in a mo!   Glad you are feeling good this time around, you deserve a good round don't you.   I am having Docetaxal (T) not the other one sadly has SallyG seems to be flying through hers.  Hope mine is as kind. 

Highlighted

Yeah I got mine on ebay. I think it was only about 2 quid
Highlighted

Elasticated backs and like a entwined knot at front xx
Highlighted

Got a couple of them in red, blue, black and grey. They are pretty on their own but wanted to jazz them up a bit hence the obsession with knot hair bands atm. Loads on eBay in very pretty patterns at cheep prices. Brought a couple to match color wise for all of them xx
Highlighted

I think they are very similar. From what I've heard the taxol tends to be very well tolerated and so far it has been so me.

I think I have the same turban thing as you I the middle picture. It's not been cold enough for me to wear it. I still have loads of hair although got a bit thin on top but I can cover that by sweeping hair back. I think the rest of it is still growing though the way it's sticking up all over the place.
Highlighted

Sorry Sally my mistake, must check my leaflet later to check which one mine is, Taxol is the original drug and Docetaxel is a derivative of it from what I understand. Be Sodโ€™s law Iโ€™m reading the information on the wrong one ๐Ÿ˜‚ xx
Highlighted

Morning Kip. Think you have a bit of chemo brain, you have called me Michelle a few times, donโ€™t mind usual get called Sarah as a mistake, must look like one. Feeling surprisingly chipper thank you. Manage a quick trip to B&Q for some gorgeous flower and some new plant pots and a food shop and steak stir fry yesterday! Was unknown on last 2 because felt so ill on them, Ryan has send you sure you had your chemo, itโ€™s weird, waiting for the slump to kick in. Knuckle still red and vein blobby but thatโ€™s about it so putting hydrocortisone cream on it. Posted a couple of pics of hair loss and lightening. Still got some but gone really light and didnโ€™t loose on cycle 2 just odd normal strand. Liking plain turbans with twist knot head bands at the moment, that is till get sweaty and whip it off in middle of street, which produces some funny looks. How you feeling? Is yours IBS C or IBS Mixed? Had mine since food poisoning abroad for many years and tried all the drugs. Control with diet and Imodium now. Would love to eat certain foods but stomach canโ€™t tolerate them i.e Curryโ€™s, fizzy drinks, lager and eggs surprisingly, love Lisa xx
Highlighted

Sorry I should have read all in one hit.

Mine is once a week through a canula but I'm Taxol (paclitaxol) not Docetaxel)
Highlighted

And there's no chance of me eating grapefruit

EVER! ๐Ÿ˜ž
Highlighted

The diarrhoea though isn't site.ce I've been on the T, it's since I've had to have the anticoagulant injections and also a sometime side effect of metformin for diabetes. Normally when I get iy it's very first thing in the morning and I'm ok from about 7.30 onwards. Yesterday just came a bit later....sods law really.
Highlighted

EC799E7A-68CE-479B-86A4-ABD2A70D6B4A.jpeg691CFA5C-1CE1-4A8A-963D-81D108BBDAA1.jpegF5C740B6-9655-4220-A3A1-43B3A1B9C41F.jpeg

Highlighted

13E07B36-4E40-43D3-8553-7190DBCD53C4.png87BF1753-2636-4BE6-B8B0-AB50A1F028A4.png

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ooh thanks Michelle, thats something to look foward to hey!   I've always had the opposite with my IBS and in fact its actually been better since chemo.. weirdly.. or I've just got so much more to worry about I haven't thought about it.   How are you feeling today?

Highlighted

P.s it also says donโ€™t eat or drink grapefruit as it makes symptoms worse. Will try to put screenshots on in a min. Is yours done through cannula for about 1hour every 3 weeks? It also suggest slower with more fluid or one a weekly basis xx
Highlighted

Sally, just read on Wikipedia that if diarrhea is severe then then should reduce you dose on the T by 20%. Just been reading up about it because I start the T next and already suffer from IBS D so know what extreme diarrhea is like, (please excuse my language here ladies) but itโ€™s this peeing out you ass. Not pleasant and very embarrassing when your caught short. Iโ€™m going to talk to the oncologist about it to see if prevention can be done i.e Imodium instant taken the day of treatment so at least I can get home. From what I understand it the meds leaving your body that is causing it and will do for around 80-90 hours leaving the body. If 4 or more episodes or severe contact helpline or gp. Hope this helps. Please read the Wikipedia, Macmillan and breast cancer care info pages some good information on there for this side effect and the others too. Take care and drink plenty of water and may be dioralite (think thatโ€™s how you spell it, if it allowed) to replenish body salts. Take care and much love xx
Highlighted

Honestly, I really was the wind section!

Had to go out 20 minutes after got home for gp appointment he was running over half an hour late and just got in. All in all a long day after going oug at 8 am. He gave me a prescription for clexane as I've not had an appointment from the hospital which I was told I'd get to review. He's going to refer me himself. He asked if I was going to sue and said he would if he were me which is nice to know.
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

oh dear not looking forward to next weeks poisoinng then!   Sally I like the sound of your brass band bottom... bet you kept the man outside thoroughly entertained!

Highlighted

Second T done.

Had diarrhoea halfway through but I get it cos of other meds sometimes so have a good early warning system. Had a second lot later and the noises coming out of me..OMG! The man outside the loo in a wheelchair must have thought I had a brass band in there with me.

My next appointment next week isn't till 2 pm. Today I was there at 8.20 and got out at 2.15 so gods knows what time I'll get out next week.
Highlighted

I like this thread:
How about Nina Simone singing โ€œfeeling goodโ€!
Bloody well hope to be after all this chemical warfare ....
Day 4 of T, 2 injections of filgrastim (not sure about spelling), feeling pretty bad today, dizzy, tired, no appetite, headaches and lastly NAIL PAIN????
Anyway bring on the end of this treatment ......
Hope you are all doing well,
Em
Xx
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh yes Im' still standing is a good'un!  Then we could have "Ring my bell" as you ring that good old bell!

Highlighted

Loving this train of thought ladies, keep them coming. The is a bell in our chemo unit kip. Think they need to get one, I know itโ€™s only end of part of the treatment but it a big part of it and I will truly be thankful when this part over. Iโ€™m sure I saw one on Facebook that does the bells will have a look and send you the link xx
Highlighted

How about Elton Johnโ€™s Iโ€™m Still Standing?
A proper belter
X
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

All that springs to mind is Gloria Gaynor... I will Survive!..."go on now go, walk out that door, don't turn around.. " perhaps the nurses could sing it and swing the trolleys round in time with the music...
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ooh yes, definately need a song.  Do you have a bell in your chemo unit?  We don't Smiley Sad  but we do have one in radiotherapy.  Perhaps I will bring my own bell??  I'll definately be skipping out of there though.. or possibly crawling depending on T!!  I'll think of a song... mmmmmm..

Highlighted

Oh I know D.I.S.C.O, not sure about getting the hand movements to fit chemo though ๐Ÿค” might have to give it a try ๐Ÿ˜‚. Got me thinking though if we need a walk out song when all the chemo is finished and we are ringing that bell ๐Ÿ›Ž? Nothing immediately springs to mind other that I will survive or Katy perry roar. Needs further though I think ๐Ÿค” ๐Ÿ’ญ xx
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Love it Lisa....glad you got it done!  And a sense of humour still in tact... bloomin' chemo can't take that away!  Just trying to figure out if its possible to do the hand movements to D.I.S.C.O (might be a too older a song for you to recall) but change the lyrics to "C. H. E. M. O"  Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

Morning ladies, chemo went ahead in the end and went ok. Didnโ€™t tap out, small issue of vein going red and tracking up the arm. Got hydrocortisone cream to put on in to calm it down as the had to go in at my knuckle. Feeling ok suprisingly but tired. Not took any of the multiples of drugs yet though. In the words of Bon Jovi Woah, we're half way there
Woah, livin' on a prayer
Take my hand, we'll make it I swear
Woah, livin' on a prayer! Xx
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh 7 hours sleep sounds wonderful, really does make you feel better!  Enjoy the peace

Highlighted

Sounds like a good film, if emotional ktk and Kip!  Hope everyone is feeling ok today and any pain is under control.  

Iโ€™ve had had a great first night at my Mumโ€™s as I slept for nearly 7 hours.  Sleep really is restorative.  Itโ€™s so quiet here.  If I wake In the middle of the night at home itโ€™s still noisy as we live near a busy road and there is constant noise from traffic even at 2am!  Weโ€™re off to a park in Guildford this morning to show my daughter an old haunt - paddling pool and stepping stones.  Trust the weather to turn! Looks like it will be a drizzly visit but the cooler weather is much appreciated! 

Wishing everyone a good and SE free day xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

1. Just taken delivery of the "New" soap from Lush which Shi mentioned for helping grow hair.. smells lovely and my baldie feels so smooth... Anything worth a try!  No hair yet though hee hee
    Spoiler

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Lisa Marie hope all went well with chemo in the end xx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

KTK I sobbed at that scene for the same reason, great film tho
Highlighted

HI Sally,

Ive had the injections throughout each of my treatments. Iโ€™m now on treatment 4 of 7.

best of luck Flossy 

Highlighted

Thanks ladies
Iโ€™be taken the pills and will get some codeine tomorrow if I need it.
Have a lovely evening
Jacq x
Highlighted

My GP gave me codeine for the bone pain I had in the first cycle because normal pain meds didnโ€™t help. She suggested I took a dose before bed and it has helped.

Clare I was so sorry to read your post. It seems that we are all hypersensitive at this mid cycle stage and perhaps our OHs have become normalised as we are all coping so well ๐Ÿคฃ. They donโ€™t know how lucky they are. And we are lucky to have each other too.

Iโ€™ve had a nice day today. My daughter and I went to see MamaMia2. I cried at the christening scene. My own mother died about 20 years ago, and the thought of not being there for my own daughter just hit me! First time Iโ€™ve cried really. Anyway, in spite of my encouragement she seems reluctant to start a family. I think that being 21 and not having a boyfriend is a pretty poor excuse! ๐Ÿ˜œ

Hope chemo was ok today. Lots of love Kxxx