1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 2018 Chemo Starters

cdc1811

Re: June 2018 Chemo Starters

Forgot to mention I've also been given Ondanestron 8mg. It's another anti-sickness tablet that I can use in addition to the Domperidone. You can take on tablet up to twice a day. Only needed it a couple of times so far but good to have an extra anti-nausea med when needed.

Have a good day everyone!

cdc1811

Hi Lisa Glad the chemo went ok. I also felt sick the evening of my first dose but I was given domperidone tablets and once I worked out when to take them - for me first thing in morning then one before lunch and tea- the nausea abated a lot. I'm still taking them 3 times a day as my oncologist said that it was fine to continue. I'm struggling with my appetite so anything that helps is a bonus. I was also given steroids tablets and had to take 2 twice a day (morning and lunchtime) for the first three days - Dexamethasone 2mg. These are what really screwed me up!! I had a horrendous feeling of 'otherness' and deep, deep depression 2 days after I stopped taking them. The oncologist things this was from the steroids leaving my system as they are known to cause very marked mood swings in some people. I wish they'd warned me before as I would have known that the extreme feelings would not last. I'm more prepared for cycle 2 and will see if there is a way of preventing this from happening. I don't have to have injections at the moment as I am on a different regime than the 3x3 FEC-T many people are on. I'm on 4x4 AC-T.

In terms of remembering to take them I always leave them in the correct boxes now and check the label before taking them. My husband was horrified when I transferred them all to one box at the beginning and I learned my lesson!! At least in the correct boxes I can refer to the instructions. My chemo brain definitely makes it harder for me to find words in certain situations and remember things but this hasn't yet been an issue with taking medication.

What is the hystrocscope for? Are they looking at your ovaries? I know I need to take ovary suppressants once chemo and further surgery is finished. I've had the genes testing which came back negative for the genes that are known about. It's a bit of a mixed blessing as my geneticist believes something is going on with my family history and a positive would have given me answers. However, I am relieved as I do not think I need to be contacting my siblings, nieces, cousins etc.. (and also my daughter when she is older) that they need to consider prophylactic mastectomies!!

I haven't braved the shave as the lovely lady at the hospital said it was only worth doing once you start seeing patches which you can't cover. She has alapoeica and I trust her judgement. She will also do the shaving when the time comes. I have however, now got a wig. Have to say I am very impressed and not sure anyone would be able to tell it's not my real hair. In a way it looks better than my normal hair! It even has a see-through mesh so your scalp is visible beneath Very, very clever. Unfortunately I am very allergic to some fabrics - wool, acrylic being the worst. I'm not sure what the webbing is made of but it makes me itch so badly I'm not sure I'll be able to wear it for any great length of time. Ho Hum- Off to a scarf tying demonstration today so that may be the way to go for me.

Please, please take it easy for the rest of the week. I realise now I expected too much from myself the first week after chemo. Next time I will take to my bed/sofa more often and try and let others help more. A little walk each day is good but don't push it. Hope you have a better day with less nausea and few SEs. Take Care Clare xx
Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi All,  KTK that pain sounds horrendous, my Onc said yesterday that when you change from one type of chemo to another that the first new one can be the worst because you body had kind of adapted to the first lot and then it has something else to deal with.. hopefuly the next ones won't be so bad.   Have to say, I am hoping not to have the injections as my hospital don't automatically issue them, only if your have trouble getting the white cells back up otherwise its just a course of antibiotics.  

Lisa Marie - I find to that to remember what and when to take all the drugs I keep a diary and write in when I have taken them, the nurse wrote on each box when to take them too, so that helped.  I had anti-sickness for three days, steroids for 3 days and then anti sickness ones as and when required.  At day 7 I had to take 2 antibiotics a day until day 15, again I wrote on the box!   Its a lot to remember but you quickly get in teh swing, I know some people use one of those boxes with the days of the week on.   Glad the chemo went ok, now rest for a few days and you'll pick up again soon. 

I enjoyed my Pimms last night, delicious!  Only had the one though.. being very good!  Also getting used to seeing myself bald, actually makes me laugh now and feels quite naughty wandering around the house, not brave enough to go out bald though, I still have stubble in places so a bit patchy, nice and cool in his heat though.  The wig takes some time to get used to but everyone thinks it looks nice and you couldn't tell, but its quite warm!

Take care all Kip xxx

cdc1811

Oh no ktk! That sounds horrendous.  Glad the pain killers worked but definietly a good idea to contact your GP.

Hope you are not in any pain today.

Does anyone know if we're allowed to take ibuprofen for headaches?  I've had a few nasty ones which wake me up in the night.  Take paracetamol (after checking my temp) but doesnt always work.  Also I've not been using deoderant as I thought the advice was not to.  However, in this heat I really feel I need it!  I have some Bionsen.  Anyone using that through their chemo treatment?

Jencat

Morning ktk, did you get the pain because of the injections? I had the same sort of pain once I'd taken my first injection after my first cycle of T and like you ibuprofen and paracetamol had no effect. The hospital had given me codeine to bring home, but I'm allergic to that! My daughter ended up going to an out of hours doctor for me and I was given a bottle of liquid Morphine, which helped.

To reassure you,chemos 5 and 6 weren't too bad-maybe my body had got used the different chemo. Also, I persuaded my onc to reduce the injections from 7 back to 5 (the number I had on FEC) so don't know if that made a difference.

Glad you're feeling better this morning xx  

RedRose

Good morning all, chemo went ok, no allergic reactions or major issues. Was just nerves and apprehensive. Felt sick last night but have taken the multitude of tables and have injection waiting for later. 5 tablets in all today and some to taken later. Injections shouldn’t be that bad as I had them for the egg collection but was feeling well then. Do you ladies have this amount of tablets? How do you remember if you have taken them? I have heard chemo brain can be quite bad. Though about writing days initials on the back of the packets. So apart from feeling like hungover, aching all over and heavy ness in limbs I done feel that bad. Next hurdle, hystroscope, genes testing and braving the shave and wig shopping. I looking forward to catching up on all of your posts, hope you are all doing ok. Your such a great group of ladies xx
ktk

OMG! Spoke too soon. Woke in the night literally screaming with pain in my back and hips. Ibuprofen had no effect. Luckily I had some codeine phosphate left over from surgery which helped a bit. Will have to contact GP today to get some more. Better this morning!

Have a good day girls! Xx
Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

That’s fab news CDC and interesting about your genetics.  Sounds like your meeting was very productive.  I asked my Onc about injections and she said our hospital don’t give them but provide antibiotics each cycle instead but if my white cells get low I may get them then, I may get them on the T part but may not... so it’s a waiting game for me.

now gonna pour that Pimms...  night night all Kip xx 

ktk

Great news Kip. I’m raising my G&T to you 🍸. I’m sure you will get some good advice about the ANC. I do agree that I have felt that more than anything else and it is still a bit tight sometimes.

CDC, really interested to hear more of your story. It is interesting that we had our first session together and are still mirroring each other even with your lower dose. It might well benefit you later. So you don’t start T until cycle 4. Who will I compare with?! Very interested in you genome history too. What an interesting project to be involved with.

Enjoying a G&T, watching the sun set and listening to the Twenty20. What could be better?? I know, not having BC 🤣🤣

Night all. Sleep well, at least for a few hours...xxx
cdc1811

That’s wonderful news Kip! Hope you’ve had a Pimm’s or two tonight! I’m not sure about the lymph node situation as I only had micrometastasis in the sentinel node so needed no further surgery. Anyone else on here had surgery to remove the lymph nodes who can help? My friend who had a full clearance does suffer quite badly with lymphodema but she was Stage 4 so the decision had been made by her team. It’s hard when you are given the responsibility to make the decisions yourself I find!

I had my Onc appointment yesterday. It was very helpful. I now understand why my hospital does 4 + 4 cycles. They use a slighter lower dosage which is why i have more sessions but this usually means there is no need for injections. Swings and roundabouts I suppose. I may also keep my hair for a little bit longer but it’s still going to be leaving me in the near future! I would love it if I can hang on to it for 3 more weeks then I don’t have to face my daughter's School playground as she will be on holiday, I just don’t want any pitying stares!! Also I understand that chemotherapy really is the right treatment path for me in order to stop any spread and hopefully prevent reoccurrence. I’ve also heard that the T part of the treatment is the hardest but a family friend said this was not the case for her. She found it easier but I suppose we all react in different ways.

My echocardiogram and bone scan are clear too. Woohoo! The CT has found something on my liver and gall bladder so I need an MRI scan on that area. My oncologist said it’s just a formality -they always rescan if anything however, insignificant shows up and they really don’t think it’s cancer. Most likely fat or a cyst on the liver. I’ve also had gall-stones before so pretty sure that is what they’ve picked up there. Thankfully I’ve managed to keep the worry gremlin at bay. There’s no other sign of spread so I feel reassured.

My genetic test came back negative for BRCA 1 & 2and also Palb but the geneticist thinks there is something going on in my family and maybe our particular gene just hasn’t been identified yet. I am part of the 100,000 genome project so my personal genome is being mapped to work out why some of my cells became cancerous. It’s an extremely slow process and I may not have the result for a couple of years or so but this will identify any issues. She is also providing data to my surgeon using a computer program which looks at how many relatives I have had with the disease (count currently stands at 7 all on my Mum’s Mum’s side) ages at diagnosis etc... and then determines your likelihood of recurrence. This should help my MDT team work out whether I should have a single or double mastectomy. It’s an awful lot to think about and obviously has repercussions for my close and extended family. They should all be screened yearly between the ages of 40-65 and in the case of my daughter and niece this should start at age 30. I’ve got a long e-mail or two to write tonight! They also need to know that having very dense breast tissue as I do means you are more likely to get BC. I now know how this is not just because mammograms can miss tumours as both the tissue and the tumours show up white, but that there is more tissue in general that could become cancerous. If anyone has friends or family of screening age Please, Please get them to ask if they have dense breast tissue and whether further ultrasounds/MRIs are needed. I went to all my mammogram appointment religiously for 8 years as part of the High familial risk programme. I know I have probably been banging on about his before but I just feel so let down by the system as my tumours had grown quite large in less than the nine months since I had my last scheduled mammogram. In fact they may even have been there when I was diagnosed with benign cysts last June!

Sorry this has become such a rambling post! Just had a lot on my mind since the appointment and genetic results. Glad to say that my side effects from chemo are currently minimal. I discovered that my extremely bad day and low mood on Sunday was probably a reaction to the steroids leaving my body. Useful to be prepared for this next time round. Glad I now know that the terrible feelings don’t last and that I need to be kinder to myself an not expect so much from myself in the first week next time around,

Hugs to all xxx
cdc1811

Hi ktk So good to hear you’ve started feeling more ‘normal’. That’s exactly how I feel today. I even managed the journey down to my Mum’s and enjoyed a picnic and shady woodland walk. It was beautiful and so good for the soul! I hope you get some relief from the constipation soon, I’m certainly taking note of all the recipes and ideas. I too have had piles since my darling daughter came along! I hope you’ll have a wonderful weekend fly fishing. It’s been such a relief to me that I can see some light after a very difficult first week and have started thinking of little getaways I can have with my family during the Summer holidays. Take care xx
cdc1811

Hi Monamin Sorry I don’t have a toddler but I have one daughter who is nine. I also struggle to ask for help but in my experience the week after my first chemo I definitely needed it. Thankfully my Mum was able to come up for a few days to do school drop offs and pick ups and to make tea/dinner when I was too nauseous to do it myself. . I’ve had offers of help from people I only thought of as acquaintances but I’m starting to accept that they wish to help in any way they can. Do either of your babies attend daycare/nursery? I imagine they are a bit too little but if they do let the childcare provider know your situation. Are there other families who could help? I have been very worried about the psychological damage that spending hours in bed and not being able to interact with my child as much as I would like will do to her. However, I have been assured by my medical team and therapist that children really are very resilient. We have lots of snuggles in bed when I’m really fatigued and read books etc.. which is lovely. I have not been told to be careful with regards to hugging/kissing except when I was mildly radioactive after my bone scan and even then I only needed to be careful for 24 hours. Despite the chemo you will still be a lovely Mum to your babies. I have found that since my diagnosis I really relish little moments and simple activities with my child. Also i’m now into my second week and feel so much better and have more energy so during the 3 week cycle it’s good to know that the bad days don’t last. Take care and all my best wishes as you go through treatment. Xx
SallyG63

Hi all,

You must be so relieved Kip. Personally I'd take radiotherapy over ANC. The node clearance op has caused me far more trouble than the original mastectomy. The lack of feeling and tightness I could well do without.

I had my first day where I felt a bit off today but I think that's more the heat causing lack of sleep (still waking at 3.30/4am) and a subsequent bit of a headache. Still went to work but a bit later today and fell into Joules and got a dress in the sale for being such a brave soldier 🙂 I am really suffering in the heat because I can no longer wear the sort of cool clothing I could before, there not being enough material to cover what it needs to. Thankfully I've not had any constipation problems, the metformin I take for diabetes make sure of that!

I'm going to treat myself to a nice bit of quiche and salad followed by strawberries and cream.
Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Well had my ONc appointment this morning and have never been so scared to get results back.   Heart nearly beat out of my chest.  But glad to say bone scan, CT and heart scan are all normal... yipppeeee the relief is immense.  So onwards with chemo,  next appointment with Onc. is 28 August so have a breather in between appointments.  I have to decide by then whether I want to have lymph nodes cleared or just treat them with rads?   Anyone have any ideas?   More decisions!  Apparently the outcome is the same either way but peace of mind having them removed may be a factor.  Both options have chances of lymphodema, and I will still be having rads anyway to chest wall and under collar bone.  More scary things to think about, but for now the relief is good and as a bonus I asked if I can drink alcohol and she said yes.. so Pimms for me to celebrate tonight. 

I hope everyone had good days... oh Onc also said that a a gauge the 4th cycle is the toughest as this is the first of the T part (if you having FEC-T) and your body adjusts to the FEC and then you change, so a bit more tired on this cycle but should then follow a pattern on the home straight...

Take care all Kip xx

ktk

Thanks for the tips girls. I am drinking loads. I have never been very ‘regular ‘ so hadn’t noticed that the problem was ‘building up’!! I like the sound of that recipe. I’ll give it a go! I have some nice ripe black currents in the garden so will pop them in.
LJ

Anti-constipation tip from me is overnight oats using All-Bran instead of oats. I use 50g all bran with 100ml almond milk, fruit and yoghurt all layered up. Pop in the fridge overnight, drizzle a teaspoon of maple syrup over in the morning and enjoy. Slimming World friendly too if any of you are on that journey as well.  

I find it it really easy to underestimate how much I need to drink in this weather and that deffo has an effect on my 'performance' 😂😂

LJ

Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

OOh KTK, that sounds painful, Sennokot did help me, I also ate prunes every morning on my cereal. .not sure which did the trick, lots of fluids too.

In response to the lady with small children, I have two children but mine are 15 and 13 so a different situation but with regards to the actual side effects... I was still able to be Mum (albeit mine can help themselves too) but you may find you just need to rest more, lay down and watch tv with them, read books... but please ask for help, your family/friends will want to help, I think they feel useful and it makes them feel better, even if its just someone to put the washing on/out or make lunch, hopefully the side effects will be mainly the first few days, after 3 days I was able to work again and by 7 days felt pretty much nomal.  Take all the medication they offer you and don't be afraid to ask the helpline any questions if you feel unwell or have other symptoms.  I wasn't told about chemo being in sweat etc and wasn't advised to not hug or cuddle children only to be careful around them during the second week when your immunity is low.  Please speak to your BCN or chemo nurse and she will be able to asnwer all your questions. Big Hugs Kip xx

JacqB

Hi Ktk
Great that you are feeling so well 😊 Have a wonderful weekend camping I can highly recommend Sudocrem, great for babies and ladies! Happy fishing in the sunshine 🌞
Jacq x
ktk

Morning lovely ladies. Yesterday was great. The first time I have really felt ‘normal’. Went for a gentle walk in the evening and then popped into the village pub with some friends. Actually stayed up until nearly 10pm! Whoop whoop!😁

Only minor (!!) issue is severe constipation. I’ve upped the Laxido and might try Senacot, as suggested by some of you, although it hasn’t really worked for me in the past. Anyway (don’t read this if you have a delicate constitution!) as a result my piles, which I gave birth to with my daughter 21 years ago, are very uncomfortable!!😢

As you know I am going fly fishing on Sunday. I had booked a campsite for the Saturday and as I am feeling so well I have just booked the Friday night too. I am soooo looking forward to it! 😎😁

Have a great day! Loads of love Kxx
ktk

Welcome to our thread Monamin. There are several mums on here who will get back to you I’m sure. Kx
Monamin

Hi, I am an interloper....I am due to start chemotherapy on 4th July 2018. I have two small children (a nearly 2 and a nearly 3 yr old). I am worried how I will be able to care for them. I thankfully have a lot of family support but I’m terrible at asking for help and I am fiercely independent. I know the fatigue will/ may stop my in my tracks but I still want to mother my babies!!!! I’ve been told that chemo stays in sweat and saliva so hugs and kisses for my babies are going to be tricky.

Is anyone a mother of toddlers in this thread ? How did you cope with looking after your children? Any tips?
Karen942

Hi ladies,

Thank you for your lovely replies today.

Hope nobody actually melted today there was a moment I thought I would 😅

Well today my mood is much improved after a long day. Saw oncologist and it appears another smaller lump is in there hiding away so I have the joy of another biopsy on Thursday. Nothing has changed apart from the fact that now they will remove the breast possibly both after chemo rather than conserve. At the moment I really don’t care about that one step at a time...

Keep on keeping on girls that’s all we can do 👍🏻

Have a lovely evening everyone

Karen x
Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi all, yes my hair started with a strange crawling feeling, and my head felt sore (like you have had it pulled back too tightly) by about day 9-10 after first cycle.  Then on about day 10-11 it came out in shreds when I ran my hands through and then by yesterday day 15 it was falling out around my ears and was impossible to put up with.   Got wig today and it looks nice, takes a bit of getting used too, feels like wearing a hat.. but its another option to wear.  Feeling better about the hair loss today though, at least I'm not wating for it to happen.  Its funny coz I thought I wouldn't be bothered but it was/is horrible! 

Got the big results tomorrow .. bone scan, ct and heart... gulp.. terrified... that's the next bend in the roller coaster to negotiate...

Anyway have a good evening, enjoy the sunshine

Kip

LJ

Hello ladies - sending the coolest hugs possible in your directions

So far so good here, runny nose is today's symptom. Hair still seems intact and I'm on day seven now, crossing everything that the cold cap will do its job. My hair is a short curly thick bob so I can take losing some. I don't think I'll be as brave as you ladies if the worst happens.  Does anyone else use Argan Oil.

Enjoy what sunshine you can. I sat outside last evening for as long as I could. So lovely. 

LJ

JacqB

Hi cdc1811
My own experience with hair loss was that it started with a weird skin crawling sensation around day 10 after 1st chemo, by day 14 it was coming out every time I ran my fingers through my hair so my OH shaved it off. The remaining stubble is now coming away day 14 after chemo no 2. Still have lashes and brows (for now). I was happy once it was done as waiting for it to go was horrid.
I don’t think I will ever be truly comfortable in my wig, it is a really nice wig but I do feel very self conscious in it and it is ridiculously hot!

Jacq x
cdc1811

Hi Karen Just wanted to send a big hug and say we are all here for you. I had a full on week of scans and appointment the week of my first cycle and exhausting. Hardly surprising that you feel as you do. Tears can be helpful so don’t be too harsh on yourself. I had a day of them on Sunday and I think I feel better or it. Hope you can enjoy the sunshine in between your appointments and that you have more time for yourself next week. Take care xxx
cdc1811

Sending hugs to everyone and especially Lisa on your first day.

Kip I’ve been saying I don’t care about my hair but still can’t pluck up the courage to get it shaved off. It’s hard to feel beautiful on the outside when our emotions are in turmoil whatever anyone says! My hair still feels very thick and full on day eight with no sign of it departing. Does it happen suddenly - one day it’s fine and overnight it starts to go? Sorry for such a personal question but trying to prepare myself. I imagine the first time going out is the toughest and I’m just hoping things will get easier. I couldn’t even try on my turban in front of everyone at Maggies and had to slope off to the bathroom to out it on so I think you’ve done o well to get out and about. I hope you are really happy with your wig. Thinking of you Xx
Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Morning Ladies,   well had a tough old evening/morning in the end.   Hadn't realised just how emotional loosing your hair makes your feel (or me anyway).   Had a bath last night, laid down and more little stubble came away... Sorry can't remember who asked but I am on FEC-T and mine started going on day 12 of the first cycle, fully gone by day 15.   This morning got up and looked like an old man in the mirror.   Sobbed in bed, OH not good on emotions.. told me its just vanity and that its not all about me!   That made things worse, don't think he knows just what is the right thing to say so is trying tough love today!   Have just been out with hat on and velco fringe, felt like everyone was looking at me.. probably not but felt like it.  Getting wig today so hoping that boosts the morale.  OH just rang and questioned why I feel worse about loosing my hair than loosing my boob.. .difficult one to answer as I guess I see the hair more than the boob?   Jeeze this journey is tough isn't it.

Thanks for soap tips Shi.. I'll look that up.  

Glad to hear you are feeling ok Embolorry, and good luck to those who are about to embark on cycle 1...its not as bad as you think....keep smiling... I'm trying too...Kip xx

Embolorry

Morning Karen and all,
We are all allowed to moan, cry and shout as this whole business is unfair, untimely and horrible. I know there’s people (like my daughter’s, male swimming teacher) telling you to stay positive and strong but there are going to be many days when you need to let it all out and not feel guilty for it, just by letting your feelings out you will end up stronger. We alll need to find something to get us through, I just read Sally’s post about roast dinner and I started drooling, not to mention the strawberries and ice cream!!!!!
Good luck with all your appointments this week, it feels like a full time job doesn’t it?
Keep writing on here if you need to vent, we all do!
So I feel as though I didn’t sleep last night but also feel wide awake at 4am but not tired, sure I will be when my girls wake up.....
No headache yet (hoping that getting rid of the cold cap will prevent the headaches from cycle 1), and feel okay.
My friend is bringing her friend round tomorrow who is Muslim and wears head scarfs all the time so she can go through a couple of ways of wearing them. Also bought a expensive bamboo beanie hat which is lovely and soft and I hope I can wear if all else fails?!??
Sally any roast dinner going spare, let me know!
Kip, hope you are doing ok?
Lisa, hope Wednesday goes well!
Shi, thanks for all your words of encouragement!
Sending love to you all,
Right try to sleep or get up and do something, that’s the question!
Em
Xxx
Karen942

Hi ladies,

Start my chemo on Friday and had my first weepy day since diagnosis on May 2nd, this isn’t like me , I feel sad and angry at the same time if that’s possible...

Poor hubby got it in the neck for having a sneaky sit down in the garden whilst I was busy cleaning everything in sight !!

Hospital every day except Weds which I am planning on using to have my hair chopped short, feel exhausted already....

Sorry for the moan , can’t sleep and have another CT scan ( head this time ) at 8.15 in the morning 🙄. Wig fitting at 1pm then oncology at 4.30 so a long day ahead, hopefully no more tears. I need to man up a bit 😊

Enjoy the sunshine ☀️ I am not even having to work so I should just relax and soak it up.

Best wishes to all.

Karen x
Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Well done kip 😘😘little tip to share with you all and we all used once chemo and rads done is a shampoo bar from lush called new, it gets hair back on bonces really well and also rub a bit of Jamaican black castor oil onto bonce once a week too prior to washing, just to give you a bit of something to focus on. Lisa Marie keep 💪💪💪the team of ladies you have on here will get you through this, you are 💪💪💪💪and brilliant together ❤️❤️❤️💕💕💕Shi xx
RedRose

Well done kip for the shave! It must of been so hard. Was just trying to read up on when it start going on FECT, tried talking to my fiancé’s children about it over the weekend as they are only with us then and they asked when and had to tell the I wasn’t sure. As we only get to see the at the weekend it may happen that I brave the chop when they aren’t with us, and they want to be here. Ended up in tears from me, them and my fiancé. You ladies are really brave and I hope on Wednesday at my 1st, I shown the same bravery you ladies do. Hope your 2nd session went well Embolorry xx
SallyG63

Hi ladies,

Well done on the shave Kip. I kind of feel guilty that the cold cap seems to be working for me. 2 down and no sign of any hairloss. Mind you I did go from halfway down my back to less than 2 inches beforehand to improve the strength and condition. I used to lose so much before when it was ling I was forever rinsing my hands when washing my hair. Washed it yesterday and lost about 3 hairs which is normal. I have bought a nice scarf just in case, couldn't work out what to do with it bit whilst fiddling with it Saturday managed to do it quick well. Not bad for someone who is completely cackling handed.

After my very early start today I was on a train just after 6.30 and at work at 7.10. Worked through till 3 with a roast dinner in the middle (made sure I cooked loads of extra yesterday). Just home now so a busy day and I'm not that knackered yet. I hear the call of strawberries and ice cream.

Sally

Embolorry

Well done Kip ! (I am still jealous of your Velcro fringe). When I told a friend how upset I was at loosing my hair she told me a story of a woman she knew that was completely grey before chemo and then it came back without any grey at all..... so I am holding on to that thought.
So I am back home, 2 down and 4 to go. It was so much better and faster today even though the nurses couldn’t get the computers to work and so couldn’t administer anything until they were working. No cold cap, so now no aching head (my head is large and I wore a medium last time, so think that contributed to my headaches).
Anyway all good, watching tennis from my sofa and plan to do nothing tomorrow and remember the next few days will be tricky.
Have also booked in for the looking good feeling good course as nurse told me they were great, but that’s not happening till after my next cycle.
My daughters will be home from school soon so will call on help from family for tonight.
Hope you’re all doing well ladies,
Em
Xxx
Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi All,  well its done!  Grade 1 ... actually I think I feel releived that its gone, having it coming out in handfuls was so upsetting, not sure I rock the bald look, but I have a hat on with my velcro fringe under it and its ok, getting wig tomorrow so will see how that goes, although think it may be too hot at the moment.   Have actually stopped crying now, I think my hairdresser felt worse than me, she tried a Grade 2 but it was still qutie long and looked odd with bald bits, so off it came.   Roll on next year when I have new hair, but for now, I'll have to live with it, all part of the journey as they say.   Kip xx

cdc1811

Hi Kip and everyone

I'm also considering the shave although I’m only on day 7.  I thought losing my hair wouldn’t really bother me but the nearer I get the more freaked out I get.  Good to see people out there that found it liberating.  I must say having shorter hair has been so easy so no hair should be a doddle! 

Thinking of you all and thanks for the wise advice and support.  Hopefully when the day comes I’ll feel empowered too! 

Take care Clare xxx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Kip 😘😘please don’t forget there is you bc nurse who is assigned to you, please ring them to discuss anything at all it’s what they are for to be another support on this journey, there is also the BCCF helpline who can listen, talk and support ❤️❤️ If you need it, it’s such a personal journey we all cope in our own ways. Luckily I was on the Oct chemo train last year with the crazy gang of amazing ladies and we also had May, july and sept ladies taking care of us and the super cc’s too. Every hurdle you leap over on this journey is a victory ladies, keep 💪💪💪and believe, keep each other safe and 😁😁😁be 🤪🤪🤪🤪 have a 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻And you’ll soon be ringing those 🛎🛎🛎🛎in your units and don’t forget, shopping benders can be passed off as the steroid rush or you forgot you’d ordered it because of chemo brain 👍👍👍💕💕💕Shi xx
JacqB

Hi
My hair started to shed about two weeks after first chemo. My biggest worry was my husband seeing me one morning with hair and then coming home to a bald wife, silly I know but these fears are sometime totally irrational. I got round this by getting him to do the shave. It was fine 😊 no tears, and it is very cool in this glorious sunshine. I do look like an emoji though! I have a fab wig from Noriko. The general consensus is that is better than my old hairstyle 🤨 I’ve found my wig too hot at the moment so if I wear anything it’s my lovely chiffon chemo hats from Annabandana. Make up is also essential I’ve bought false eyelashes too, just got to master putting them on. On the plus side getting ready to go out is a breeze, I don’t miss the 20 minute blow dry every day!
Enjoy the sunshine ladies 😎
Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi All, thanks for the tips regarding the shave Shi, haven't braved it yet but shedding like a cat today.   Im trying to hang on until my wig is ready but not sure I will make it.  Wasn't expecting it to be so emotional, I thought I was ok with it but its really depressed me over the weekend.  Lots of tears and fears at the moment... I think hightened by results of scans this wednesday..  I'll slap on the make up and go for it at some point... Hoping I will feel empowered once its gone!

Not sure who asked.. but I am on day 15 today and the hair started coming out on day 11/12.. I had noticed my head felt sore (like you had worn a hair band too tight) from about day 8-9 but the hair started falling fairly quickly from about 12ish.    

Embolorry - good luck with the chemo today.. another one ticked off, keep on with ice cream anything that helps is a plus!

Kip

xx

Embolorry

Morning all,
So waiting between blood test and the next cycle of FEC at 10 am, have decided that I am not going to bother with the cold cap as have been loosing hair steadily for the past five days.
How did the shave go Kip? Hope you are coping and finding something nice to distract you?
I must say that my Hagan Das whilst watching love island has been a real escape for me, I wonder if they will keep it going till Oct when I finish chemo???
Anyway good luck to everyone this week, you are all doing amazingly and we will be through this before you know it!
Sending love,
Em
Xxxx
SallyG63

Sorry, ktk.

Glasses now cleaned.
SallyG63

Morning Kip

It's not just me that wakes up ridiculously early for several days after chemo. I have been awake since about 3.30am. Might get up, catch up on Love Island and go in to work early. They'll be lots of seats on the train then.

Sally
ktk

Great advice Shi. Thank you.

What day are you on Kip? Can’t remember....! At least you won’t be cold, but don’t burn.

I have really achy hips and back this morning. Probably the Injections. Just taken some ibuprofen but am wide awake. Oh well, seen another lovely sunrise. 😁☀️🌅
Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Kip ❤️❤️Sending you 👭👭👭and ❤️❤️❤️I went straight to grade 1 from the bob I’d had cut a month prior to chemo, I had waist length hair before that which I sent to little princes trust they use your hair to make wigs for children and give them to them for free, helped turn a negative into a positive. Also please my darling put your makeup on before you shave to grade one, put something pretty on too it’ll keep you looking and feeling beautiful while you go to the grade one, it’s liberating when you do it, you’ll 😢too but keep 💪💪💪💪you keep focused and believe you can do all this and you will, you all will ❤️❤️❤️💕💕💕Shi xx
Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ladies does anyone kno the when your shave your hair do you go to grade 1 or 2 or straight completely bald. I’m getting close to the shave and have heard it can be sore so wasn’t sure what to do?  Never thought I’d be asking this question!,

ktk

Beginning to look like one!!
Kip
Community Champion
Community Champion

Lovely to see you are all enjoying the day, I’m watching football to!  Ha£ a very tearful morning but ok now, just normal roller coasters of emotions.  Come on england 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

SallyG63

Hmmm.

Score progressing nicely. My 4-0 has gone but I really don't care 🙂
SallyG63

A rugby score today will do!
ktk

England played yesterday. They won!!😁🏉😁