62812members
330330posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 2018 Chemo Starters

Re: June 2018 Chemo Starters

Thanks for the birthday wishes.  So glad it was such a sunny day for my trip to Brighton.  It’s been hideous today- wet and freezing.  Just a question- I am definitely losing my middle fingernail on the right.  There is a split all along the base and the nail is lifting off.  What do I do??? I don’t have any plasters.  Could I wrap it in micropore tape or something similar?  I think the other nails are going to follow suit soon.  Can’t see how I’ll save many of them as they all look discoloured and just plain odd!  Oh well.  I presume they just grow back eventually but just wondering how you protect the nail bed whilst your waiting.  Any ideas welcome.  

My LGFB session was interesting,  I don’t really wear make up usually except for a bit of mascara and lipstick so working out what to do with foundation etc was a revelation,  I did try to say I didn’t want any blusher as I have enough problems with facial flushing as it!  However, I was persuaded to try everything,  It was fun to experiment but when I went to pick my daughter up from school she looked at me quizzically and remarked that I looked like a goth! My OH has just got in from work and said. “It’s nice make up but It’s just not you’!  I’m now desperate to take it off as it feels heavy and uncomfortable. Still I met a bunch of lovely ladies and enjoyed the social side.. Also I’ll definitely use the cleanser and moisturiser etc....  

Hope everyone has a restful evening ahead.  I am still shattered so off for another nap.  Kip, I thought I’d got away with the aches and pains but as soon as I stop and lie down I feel my whole body aching and I understand what you mean about feeling a 100!  I seem to remember someone telling me that putting  Epsom salt in your bath can be soothing so I might try and get some tomorrow.  

Sorry I can’t help with the prostheses issue.  My right side is slightly smaller than the left but as I’ll be having further surgery in Jan I don’t think it’s worth getting anything in the mean time to even things out.  

My plan to eat loads to try to increase the fat on my tummy so I have enough for two reconstructed breasts, isn’t really working- i’m Just putting on weight everywhere else and feeling sick!! I’ll be interested to hear what the consultant at the Marsden says on Monday.  I’m sure I heard that they can use your thighs and I definitely have enough for two on them!  Has anyone heard of this procedure- I think it’s called TUG? 

Take care xxx

Shi one side is higher than the other not bigger (although my husband says its not noticeable) so not sure if that will work will it? Ta. X

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Cdc🎂🎂🎂happy belated birthday 😘😘😘Linda, my unit gave me a half prosthesis thing that works really well to level me up and in the summer I pulled the stuffing out of the knitted knocker and padded bra out fine with that it was lighter and more comfy during summer. Hope that helps 😘😘👍👍Kip as long as you keep hydrated, pace yourself, air and cream skin, go bra less (scarfs dangled down the front help) 😎😎😎are a 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻And don’t forget extra points if you can get someone else up and 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻Who’s waiting too ❤️❤️❤️ Moves like jagged by maroon 5 on the jukebox 😘😘😘have you all got your meet up planned yet? It’ll come round really quick when you’ve arranged it 👍👍💕💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx

Shi do you wear padded bras and if so do they hide the lopsidedness? Thanks.x

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi all,

CDC - happy belated birthday too.. glad you had a great day, sounds perfect although very tiring.  I am getting a little apprehensive about the Rads but just want to get started with it, it will be a pain going every day and at a time when I should be starting Christmas shopping but havent!  EEK...but as many have said, after chemo nothing can be as bad.  Although I have to say, these aches and pains are awful, I feel 100 years old today, feet, toes, ankles, calfs, knees, bum and back all stiff.  I did manage to hula hoop for 10 minutes though and it did help to get things moving.  It is causing sleeping isues though, as I go to sleep no problem but get so stiff in one position that I have wake up adjust position and this goes on most of the night... also having hot flush in the night too but thats fairly manageable.  Keeping fingers crossed the aches and pains wear off as the chemo slings its hook!   (although have read it can take months/years to go... oh crikey).

Reddi - sorry to hear the pain is back again, focus on Thanks Giving and enjoy that.

Shi - Am up and dancing even with the 100 year old joints... hand bag down and bopping away...la la la la la...

Kip

xx

@Kip Well, I am loving your new color. Very chic.

Happy belated birthday, @cdc! 🎂 Brighton sounds lovely.

I think I was lulled into a false sense of victory by my pre chemo steroids, as today the pain is back. I'd even started to wonder if it was a weird combination of eyebrow acne and contact dermatitis on my forehead. But no longer, now that the snake pain has started again.

Just wish I wasn't also dealing with my TPH days 4-5 back/shoulder pain and mucositis stabs in my esophagus. Cannot wait til Wednesday, by when I expect/hope those things will have settled -- and then (American) Thanksgiving on Thursday. We're doing a scaled-back feast to celebrate, as I have much to be grateful for this year (but less energy). 🦃

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Kip, reddi 😘😘😘looking beautiful girls 👍👍👍cdc, the downy fluff only lasts for a bit, I left it alone and it just goes back to normal, you just feel like a fluffy 🐥 for a bit 😁 kip as I was looking at my mad curly mullet today thinking 🤡🤡🤡hair I too like you remembered how great to is to have hair again and that red dot does get it growing quick, mishy18 is the lady to thank for that she was july17 and she looked after us on oct17 so very much, she’s a star and so blooming funny 😁😁😁are we having a 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻Girls, how about hands up, baby hands up by Ottawan, great disco tune 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻Handbags on the floor, white stilettos on and 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻😁😁😁😁💕💕💕✨✨✨✨Shi xx

Loving the photos. Thanks for the hair care and eyelash tips Shi. I have my LGFB session tomorrow. Can’t wait. Did the downy hair go eventually? Just wondering if I should try and remove it somehow.
Kip so much has grown back now! Sounds like you are doing ok on tamoxifen but I hope the aches and pains wear off soon, How are you feeling about starting radio?
Reddi how are you doing
Not in pain from the shingles I shovel have you finished chemo now? I think I might have one more. I’d forgotten they’d added a couple of weekly cycles due to the reduced dose. I will feel comfortable knowing I’ve had the equivalent of 3 full docetaxel. Just got to see what they say on Thursday. Thankfully my toes/feet feel like hey are starting to recover. I do see light at the end of the tunnel which is wonderful! Even managed a trip to Brighton for my birthday yesterday with my OH and daughter. It was such a fabulous day and the sun shone throughout. I really forgot about s****ing Cancer for a while. Loved the Pavillion especially as they’ve decorated it for Christmas. In the afternoon we saw the original artwork for Raymond Briggs The Snowman at Brighton Museum, I had tears in my eyes at the end. Still it helped to make me feel a bit more in the Festive Spirit.

Linda Ive not heard of biotin tablets or Jamaican caster oil. Need to do so,e investigating.

Hi RedRose I thought my nails were doing pretty well but I’ve just noticed the middle one in my right hand seems to be coming away at the side. Many have got what looks like another nail trying to grow at the base of those that are hanging in in there. I’m not too worried and at least they don’t hurt.
I’m feeling petty shattered but I’ve come home for a rest while my daughter is at choir practice. I think it’s all a matter of pacing ourselves. You and Kip will be radio buddies by the looks of things. I won’t know whether I, to have rads until after my mastectomy. The Marsden is a bit of a way so having to go there daily if necessary will be tiring in itself.

How are you Jean? Have you started the Moving on course yet?

Anyway best be off for my nap before my OH returns with our daughter.

Take Care everyone xx
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Reddi so good to put a face to a name, looking forward to seeing the photo with the new growth.  I was told today i look like Judy Dench!!!  I used to dye my hair but jt was a sort of dark blonde/light brown although i had grey bits i dont know if i was this grey!!  Oh well just loving having hair again.

@Kip Aw, look at all that hair! What color was it before treatment?

Mine seems to be growing in the same color as before -- complete with the grey patches that I've been dying for decades and now am seeing in full glory for the first time. Will post a pic of my (less luxurious) fuzz once the shingles patch on my forehead clears up (it's not pleasant). For now, a belated baldie pic from me -- taken about a month ago, near the end of cycle 5. I never shaved after my brutalist pixie; just let it fall out in the end. Lush bar is at the ready, to start after day 15 of cycle 7!

bald reddi 2.jpgHello!

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello everyone, good to read some positive stuff going on.  Red Rose your nails do look sore but hopefully they will be off soon with lovely new ones back in time for the wedding.  Enjoy that christmas break when you get it.  It looks like we will be starting Rads almost together, j start on 29th nov.  Good news about the spikes starting, i found mine gew very quickly once it got going although very white.  Also hair growing everywhere now!!!  I use the Lush bar Shi mentioned its lovely!  Ive attached a photo.. excuse the wrinkles and bags just woken up...😁20181118_092735.jpg

CDC, i too have the face fluff... Am hoping it stops soon or ill have to get a job as Father Christmas!!  Good news on ringing the bell and thanks for the lovely description of you hangjng out the washing... Isnt it lovely how the small things can mean so much...  I had a big smile yesterday when i could raise my arm to the top of the door.. ifs still stiff and sore but it felt good!

The tamoxifen is going ok, had 4 now a d so far ok, no extra sweats or problems.. still keeping fingers crossed it continues.  However the aches and pains from chemo continue.. feet, thighs, calfs, back feel like an old woman!

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Yep Jamaican black castor oil rubbed into scalp before washing, you should be able to get anywhere they do wigs and extensions Linda if you are in a city and like reddi says amazon too 😘😘💕💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx

@Linda I found some Jamaican black castor oil options on Amazon, if all else fails.

Coconut oil is good too. I am using Palmers shampoo and conditioner and mine is growing back thickly. It has coconut oil in it. Can we use biotin tablets? I got some but thought I should check first before using although it is in my multi vitamins I take anyway. The health food shop suggested putting jasmine oil in your hair but I looked online and was not sure if that is ok or not. Also I was going to ask re the black Jamaican castor oil as the health food shop wasn't sure where I would get it from? Any ideas. Ta. x
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi cdc yes the downy hairy face 😁😁it does settle, it’s just a bit of a shock isn’t it as you don’t realise just how hairless you become. Don’t forget to get the mascara off n as soon as lashes start to return, it trains the lashes to curl rather than grow straight out, tip from my friend who is on the Ysl counter and does Lgfb sessions 👍the lush red dot shampoo bar is good for getting hair back quick and thick lots of us used it after mishy18 had good results with it. 💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx

Kip hope your nales hang on in there.

Bizarrely as well as hair beginning to grow on my head I’m developing a hairy face!!!! Well more like downy, but I have sideburns!!!! Agh! Any one else experienced this??? I’ve yet to get hair back anywhere else,

Hugs to all xxx

Georgie Gee glad you’ll be getting a breather to recover before rads begin. You certainly have been through the mill. Cx

Sorry not Red Rise!!- Red Rose!

I really do hope they won’t sneak in some more but it’s a possibility and I have been booked in just in case. I will certainly celebrate all over again next Friday if needs be! Did yours go ahead Reddi ?? I was thinking of you.

So great you’ll have a break for Christmas Red Rise but sorry to see your nails are so sore and some have come off. I agree with Shi, I think we will all find our new normal. I’ve certainly been changed by my experience of BC. Im amazed it hasn’t been all bad as I’vee learnt to appreciate some of the small things in life- I’ve said it before but I remember being able to get my arms high enough to put the washing on the line after my first surgery. It was a lovely Sunny day and I will never forget the pleasure I got from the warmth of the sun and the scent as the washing billowed in the breeze. I hope we will all have many of these moments of appreciation and be able to recall them when having the s***t times. Sending hugs.

@RedRose Condolences for your nails. I can see how you'd want those hanging on by (less than) a nail to fall off so that you can get the new nails growing and some relief from the discomfort. And such nice news that you'll have a break for Christmas, and that you're starting to get a little fuzz. Eyelashes surely must not be far behind. New normal, here we come. Heart

@cdc Here's to ringing the bell today. (Though I know you'll be chatting with your oncologist next week and might sneak some more paclitaxel in, I say celebrate today and then again later, if you get some more cycles in.)

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

❤️❤️❤️red rose ❤️❤️❤️you will find your new normal it’s all part of the journey😘😘great news on bit of fluff starting 👍👍you’ll have lots of fun as hair comes back and will warn you you have to go through the ‘mullet’ look while trying to get it long again if you are 😁😁😁hope yours comes back nice and straight, mines a right 80’s curly mullet😲😲😲my hair was same as yours prior to all this, you just have to 😁😁😁😁and have fun trying new styles 👍👍sorry your nails not made it, t is a 🤬🤬🤬💕💕✨✨✨everyone Shi xx

Little bit of and update on me, final oncology appointment on 23rd, rads on 26th x 4 weeks. Then a break for Christmas 🎄. January will see me returning to work if possible but still suffering the side effect of chemo, weak arms, aches, poor concentration and not being able to walk far. Tiredness comes in waves. Feel fine one min but next fee exhausted. On a good note I have some spikes stubbly bits appearing on my head but still no eyelashes unfortunately. January will also see me returning to genetics and consequently breast and gynecologist to discuss further surgery or monitoring. Also a bone scan as I wasn’t told, chemo, rads and ovary suppression could effect me, it’s only from you guys that I picked that up. Thank you. No hormone treatment for me. Feels weird now chemo done and the routine of oncology, bloods, chemo, feel like 💩. Repeat has finished, so god knows what I’m going to be like after rads. Suppose I ought to stop thinking about trying to get back to “normal” when I feel anything but. I need to find my new normal and be ok with that. Xx

Hi ladies. Think it’s too late for my nails. Ones already off and think 5 more will be following. Sat here with them wrapped up in medical tape. They hurt and snag when bag them, wish they would just come off. Awkwardness when doing anything involving hands trying not to bang them. Xxx

720CB596-5B95-4E6F-B0F1-D8312789A5E5.jpeg

60E88764-2D1E-45A5-8C83-1B80EDA48DE6.jpeg

76C79681-93F5-4C83-AE4A-4DF0580DD30C.jpeg

@Kip Polybalm helps with non chemo damage, too, so may be worth the try.

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

I'll have a look at that Georgie, thought not sure its a bit too late for some of them.   You do seem to be collecting referrals don't you.  Hope they get that sorted for you and also probably a good idea to wait to start Rads once you are feeling a bit stronger, you have had a rough time of late.  

Kip

x

@Georgie Gee I have been using polybalm, too -- but less often than suggested to stretch it out. Usually once a day -- topped up with cuticle oil -- and some days just cuticle oil (when in a rush in the morning and exhausted at night). Combo makes it impossible to tease out which is helping more.

Hi Ladies, 

I know I only had a little 75% dose of T but I used polybalm, which my consultant recommended and trialled at my hospital.  I had to coat finger and toe nails 3 times a day, and massage in, and mine are fine, so much so that I would recommend it fully.  It was expensive but worth it, and I have noticed that my nails feel stronger. I think you can also use it after chemo.  Reddi, did you go ahead with this? 

Link  into polybalm:  www.polybalm.com 

I start rads on 10th December.  I was supposed to start at the end of November, but I asked for it to be delayed so that I could recover more from the side effects, including the blood clot on my lung and the 3 bouts of sepsis.  I'm still breathless and coughing a lot.  

My breast care nurses are amazing!  They saw me yesterday and helped me get in touch with my oncologist, and I also had them look at my boobs as the affected side is still so swollen.  They also arranged a scan, and found that the swelling isn't a seroma, and they have referred me to lymphoedema nurses to check out.  

Ah well, another referral!.... anyone would think I am trying to 'collect' referrals! 😩

Bye for now

Georgie xx 

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks Reddi, I'll invest in some, they look like they are going to dry up completely and fall off! EEK

@Kip I am sure you've already got this lined up, but just in case: get some cuticle oil -- OPI makes a version that brushes on, and Boots has a drop applicator version -- and apply it 2-3 times a day. That should help with the dryness and flaking. (I ended up taking off my nail varnish midway through first T cycle and doing intense moisturizing instead as I had dry nails before chemo and worried about not being able to treat the nails themselves.)

@cdc my oncologist told me the reason I have 7 cycles, with 4 of docetaxel, is to get 4 cycles of the HER2-targeted drug Perjeta, which they only give with chemo pre-surgery. As I said I may not get any T today. But in any case, we can virtually ring the bell together this afternoon! Hoorah!
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

HI CDC - wow to have the last chemo will be great, I know its not the full amount you were initially set to have but the equivalent to 3 docetaxols seems to be the standard doesn't it, thats what I've had.  It will be a relief for you to get to the end of that and let your body get some normality back.   I've found the se's after finishing chemo are fading, just the aches still and the nasty looking nails, apart from that feeling ok, except the naff armpit which is still stiff and tender and numb.  

Sally - shame about the trial, but I guess better to be safe than sorry if it turns out you can't do it.   How do you feel about having more Rads if they suggest it?

I've now had 2 tamoxifen and so far ok, awake again in the night, but I think that is just me nowadays, I was constantly waking up hot before I started them so nothing new there... I am sure it will be like chemo and cummulative but fingers crossed it stays ok.

Kip

xx

Hi Reddi

Sorry I knew it was you with the eye problems- forget to put your name before that sentence.  I do hope the painkillers and steroids help.

Had a hectic day so will post properly later but it looks like tomorrow may be my last chemo!  Oncologist didn’t really want me to go ahead due to the neuropathy but I’ve asked to have one more (should have another 4).  I figure if I can do tomorrow I’ve had the equivalent of 3 docetaxel which is what many seem to have had,  I’ll have a review in a week for the final decision.  

Have a a good evening everyone. X

I never paint my nails. Such a skank Smiley Happy

I had meeting about the trial at Guys this morning. It seems I may not be able to do it due to the DVT I had during chemo. It depends if it was a superficial one or more serious one. I don't know?? She has to get more info on that. Also she queried me not having rads and is going to bring that up with the MDT team as it would be to a different area as previously, the axilla as opposed to the chest itself which is where I had it before so there's a possibility that I could yet have rads.
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

• Just removed my nail varnish. Oh dear nails dont look good...20181115_135022.jpg
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

oh dear Reddi sorry to hear you have shingles to add to everything else.  My Husband had it and its not nice.  Hope you don't suffer too much and that the chemo can go ahead or not if thats what you would prefer. 

Sally -  I do sympathise with the hair loss, I read all the side effects on the Tamoxifen leaflet and one of those is hair thinning and am hoping this doesn't happen, am only just getting used to my silver skinhead!   You did so well with the ice cap too.  

CDC I took my first Tamoxifen last night before bed, thought I'd start with nighttimes and see what happens.  So far so good, I was able to get to sleep but did wake in the night, although I have been doing this for some months now, had a hot flush, but no worse than those I was already getting and I still have the aches and pains in joints and back from the hateful Docetaxol.  So far today feeling fine.. but having only had one I am sure there is more laying in wait for me.   At the moment the aches and pains are the problem for me and the fact I think I have developed cording under my arm, although the seroma is almost gone.   Just seems you get over one thing only to have something else crop up.  When will get a break???  Now feeling like a 90 year old when I bend or get up and finding walking painful sometimes.... whatever next.

Kip#xx

@cdc Throbbing eye pain is me! (Sally has it hard enough as is.) Pain is only occasionally severe, typically when I get a streak of it across my scalp (nicely following a line of little sores, I discovered when mapping it for my OH, which kinda seals the diagnosis). The eye forehead / above eye area is more mild to moderate pain. I can take painkillers (carefully); today's steroids for chemo should also help, as will the antivirals, which should stop it from spreading.  

I knew the chicken pox virus could be reactivated by stress, as my sister had shingles last year. And I've had a stressful couple of weeks. But I hadn't considered *why* stress is the trigger; I now know that the immune system generally keeps the remaining virus in check, but during periods of stress, it may not be up to the job. And people who have a compromised immune system -- HIV, bone marrow transplant, chemotherapy -- are of course then at risk for it, too.

LJ Just wondering does the anastrozole have the same ingredients as a Letrozole? I hope you don’t have any problems with hair shedding.

Sally it really does seem so unfair you are now getting so many side effects.  I’ve also heard of some people being pur on the same drug but from a different  the manufacturer and faring better.  There must be an alternative..  The throbbing eye pain sounds particularly grim.  Hope your meeting with the ophthalmologist is helpful

Reddi I’m so sorry to hear about the shingles -my father in law has it too.  He has multiple myeloma but a stern cell transplant was very successful.  He did have to have chemotherapy beforehand however, and  he has struggled with the pain from the shingles ever since. Is it related to having cancer treatment?  Is there anything that can help. Relieve the symptoms?  Hope your chemo goes ahead on a Friday.  Can’t believe it’s your last one!

I’ve got my transfer meeting with the Marsden on the 26th.  Wondering if they’ll say I can stop the chemo as I will have two more Paclitaxel under my belt (, albeit at a reduced dose) which will be the equivalent of me having had 3 docetaxol.

Kip how are you doing after taking your first tamoxifen,  I’ve seen there is a whole forum on here for hormone therapy,  

Take Care everyone x

Quite a few of the symptoms overlap with chemo side-effects, and my pain level isn't too bad, thankfully. But I think I'll need to visit the ophthalmologist tomorrow so that they can check out my cornea, as the throbbing is getting a tad too persistent.

Bloody hell, shingles isn't pleasant. Hopefully you've only got a mild dose.

@Sally -- That is so upsetting. Worth noting that I am sure I have read on another thread that some people have trouble with letrozole and have been switched to one of the other two AIs and fared much better. (And some do well in letrozole, and don't do well on another.) So do report your symptoms -- especially lack of appetite -- to your team and see if they might want you to switch sooner rather than later. (There might be a "breaking in" process, of course, where they want you to stick with it for a few weeks before trying something else.)

In personal news: just in time for cycle 7 -- last hurrah! -- it seems I've got shingles. I just thought I had a rash on my forehead, some eyebrow acne from hair regrowth, and a sty on my eyelid from lash regrowth. The pain and weird tingling should have been a clue. Now on antivirals and curious to see if Friday's chemo will be the full cocktail or if I'll only be given my HER2 infusions and skip the docetaxel (an option thrown out by the oncologist this morning). My body does not like this stuff.

Yeah, unfortunately it is. Hair thinning is a common side effect of letrozole according to the leaflet and I'm losing far more than I did during chemo. Nearly 5 months, 20 weeks, of cold capping, and 4 weeks after all that's done it looks like that was a big old waste of time. I've also lost my appetite and can't face eying much, except in the mornings. The hot flushes I'd got past are back with a bang, worse than ever and I'm itching like a flea-ridden dog.

I was better off on chemo. I had none of this.

I have my meeting at Guys in the morning about the drug trial. See what joys that adds.
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh Sally how unfair about the hair, is it caused by the medication?  I just picked up my tamoxifen and bit worried about taking it but needs must.     Big hugs to you.  Xxx 

LJ

Oh Sally, I'm so sorry, I'd want to cry too, after you'd done so well with your hair through chemo. Have you spoken to a BCN at all?  Hugs

I've just started taking Anastrozole and I'm fearful of thinning hair from it. Like you I've already gone from long thick hair to short and the thought of it not growing back properly is almost too much to bear. 

LJ

Hi,

I could cry. Nearly 4 weeks past chemo and one week on letrozole and I'm losing so much hair it's unreal.