64360members
338873posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 2019 chemo starters

Re: June 2019 chemo starters

I wake up and think to myself " thats another day " nearer to competing my 12 weeks  👍👍

tc xxxx 💖💖💖💖

did you enjoy the wedding ??

Hi Ruby,

glad you've managed to have some ' normality ' to your day and quality time with your husband.

im having my PICC line fitted thursday of next week,  the guy is on holiday this week 😖😖 typical....

do you think that side effects get more troublesome the further you go into the treatment ??

so far i feel ive been quite lucky ....  just waiting for the WHAM .....

noticed you mentioned a glass of red 🍷🍷.  I was told not to drink until i had finished the chemo.

its a strain on the liver apparently....  and i believe that one of our drugs does contain alcohol...

have read this somewhere on the internet....

hoping your ' good ' times continue.  tc  xxx 💖💖

Aw bless ya your right. What a challenge we face ay xxxx😘

You arent the only one who has thought " can i do this " ??

but we have no choice do we....   so when you are thinking this just try to remember theres an awful lot of us out here that are thinking exactly the same thing....but  we have to do this 💖💖💖💖

hoping you dont get too much nausea and the mouthwash helps... stay strong.

Glad u had a nice day, I managed a nap too. Doctors prescribed my mouthwash which oncology recommended. First time today I’ve thought I can’t do this xxxx

Hello ladies, for me  today was a good day, managed couple of hours looking at the beautiful garden at Grimsthorpe castle with hubby. Hips and back have bone pain now and I did have a three hour nap when I got home but all good! Enjoying a small glass of red now waiting for dinner. Fatigue is grim, but just keep going 😊 

Alvilajo, sorry today was tough - make sure you talk to your chemo team about the mouth if you haven’t already? Xx 

1st rough day today, not much energy and felt so sick first thing but wasn’t. honestly thought I was going to pass out felt so crap but it passed as quick as it came on thankfully. I’ve got a swollen bottom lip and sore gum so ordered some mouthwash should be at pharmacy tomoz. How’s all you lovely ladies doing today xxxx

Hi mine are 3 weeks apart and 2 weeks apart for last 4. I’m not working and haven’t since diagnosed, I work for Royal Mail and they have been great. Yes everyone’s slightly different with treatment xxx

@nicolaJ wrote:

Hi Alvilajo

Good to read your first session went ok, you hear of so many horror stories, how many weeks apart are your sessions? there are so many different types of treatment even when we seem to have pretty much the same diagnosis.

Are you working through the treatment? I’m hoping to just have a couple of days off afterwards but don’t know if I’m being naive, suppose will just have to see how it goes.

take care and look after yourself. Xxxx

Hi Alvilajo

Good to read your first session went ok, you hear of so many horror stories, how many weeks apart are your sessions? there are so many different types of treatment even when we seem to have pretty much the same diagnosis.

Are you working through the treatment? I’m hoping to just have a couple of days off afterwards but don’t know if I’m being naive, suppose will just have to see how it goes.

take care and look after yourself. Xxxx

My hubbys the best at injections yay 😁 1 done 4 to go 🤪

Hi Nicola, very similar, had lumpectomy and armpit clearance 2 nodes involved. Having 4 rounds of e/c and 4 placlitaxel. Injections start tonight too 😬. First chemo was Wednesday and had 3 good days, sat and sun ok but bit teary. Indigestion as well so ask for some medication just in case you need it. I’ve had no sickness and today have had no steroids or anti sickness tablets and feel ok just a bit washed out now and again. Take care hun xxxx and decided not to use cold cap myself xxx

@nicolaJ wrote:

Hi ladies

I’m new to the thread and due to start chemo on the 26th June.

I was diagnosed in February and have had a lumpectomy and full node clearance after the biopsy showed a cancerous node.

Having 3 x EC and 3 x Doxcetol (not sure I’ve spelt that right) going to try with the cold cap and see how it goes.

Is anyone else having the same treatment?

Hope you all have a good weekend xx

Really how Stange but good to know to prepare for anything xx

@mini mad wrote:

If you mean after my tummy jab then no i dont but this time i did get a little numbness under my eye on my cheek...

If you mean after my tummy jab then no i dont but this time i did get a little numbness under my eye on my cheek...

Mini mad, Do u feel achey quite quickly ? Xx

Had my first jab just now after 3 days off.

john is doing them for me and i found them not painful if you find a good solid roll of tummy fat !! And hold it tight between your fingers..  you'll find your own way of doing them thats best for you xx

good luck withtonights injection... xx  the first is the most worrying...xx

Thanks Jencat 👍

they did give me Isobon tablets daily but had horrendous chest pain so having the infusion every 6 months for 2 years..  onwards n upwards.. 💖💖

Hi mini mad,

I think Zolindrome could be the same or similar to Zoldronic Acid which I had every other chemo and have every 6mths for 3 years.It is a bone strengthener, but also my onc said it was to help stop cancer spread to the bones x

I start the injections tonight I’m not sure who’s more nervous me or hubby as he’s doing them xxx

Yes I am having Carboplatin every 3 weeks then Paclitaxel weekly. Filgrastim is suspected as the cause of my 12 day migraine from hell that had me hospitalised for five days first cycle. Not looking forward to doing another course starting next Saturday!

never had Zolindrome.

Ruby xx

Hey Ruby,

are you having carboplatin every3 weeks with Paclitaxel every week ?

how does  Filgrastim affect you ?  I seem to get painful knees.

nxt friday after my 3rd session im having another infusion called Zolindrome.. ithink ...

something to do with calcium keeping bones stronger.. you had this ??

sorry its all questions....but thank you...💖💖💖

Highlighted

Thank you I certainly won’t put myself through that again xx hope your ok xxxxx

Sorry lovely to hear you had a rough time at A&E.   Did you take your red card with you to show that you are having chemo treatment ???

i have also had real painful chest pain.  Took Lansoprazole at home but spoke to chemo nurse last friday during my treatment and she sent the doctor to me for a chat.

he has prescribed Omeprazole but so far 🤞🤞🤞i havent needed to take one yet.

wondering if maybe it was because i had 2 chemo drugs on my first session and now i have just one for 3 weeks..

chin up....a day at a time..... we're all here to chat and offer advice it we can 💖💖💖

Thanks ruby, it was horrible. I slept well tho but teary this morning. I think my anxiety has raised its ugly head over last few days. I think I’ve coped really well up to then. I will ring my doctors tomorrow for a prescription xxxxx

Welcome nicolaj and charliehedgy 

Alvilajo I am sorry you had such a rubbish time, that absolutely should not happen if I was you I would make a complaint. 111 is perfectly capable of faxing a prescription for a chemo patient directly to a pharmacy you should not have needed to sit in a and e at all as if they suspected infection oncology should have called you in. I know for a fact 111 can do this as they did it for me yesterday when my uti recurred, I spoke to oncology who referred me to 111, I had a telephone consult with doc and he faxed a prescription to my local Asda within about fifteen minutes.

if you have to go to a and e again make sure you tell them you are on chemo and you may be neutropenic. They should at least try to isolate you away from people who may be infectious.

you might need something a little stronger than the over the counter stuff, omeprazole and lansaprozole are both good. Your gp or your chemo suite can prescribe these, as can 111.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off - you will be fine 😊 sending you a big hug, Today is another day, you have got this!

Sorry if I sound bossy (I am) but this kind of thing makes my blood boil and is totally avoidable when on chemo!

Ruby xx

Hi Minimad, I am on carboplatin with weekly paclitaxel. Yes I have the Filgrastrim on days 2-6 then 16-20 of the cycle. Filgrastrim doesn’t like me much!

Ruby xxx

Hi ladies

I’m new to the thread and due to start chemo on the 26th June.

I was diagnosed in February and have had a lumpectomy and full node clearance after the biopsy showed a cancerous node.

Having 3 x EC and 3 x Doxcetol (not sure I’ve spelt that right) going to try with the cold cap and see how it goes.

Is anyone else having the same treatment?

Hope you all have a good weekend xx

Worst evening, rang out of hours oncology for a prescription to get some anti acid tablets and was advised to ring 111 which I did, then told to go to a&e. And say I’ve been told to get there within the hour!! Sat there for 2 1/2 had blood pressure done then sat again waiting. Ended up having panic attack in waiting room and had to get out. What a state to get in, I left couldn’t face going back in. Bought some gaviscon and going to bed now feeling embarrassed and low. First chemo was Wednesday and was feeling ok 🙁

Hi every He, 

Also a June starter I’m starting on Wednesday 19th. My surgery that was planned for Monday 17th has been cancelled and we are trying chemo first. Anxious nervous and apprehensive aabout starting but I’m trying cold cap a well. Had some hints and tips from a few others in a thread who have had massive success. 

Hi Ruby,

thx for your reply.

are you having to have the tummy injections ?  To encourage bone  marrow to produce more white blood cells ?

sorry...chemo brain already 🤪🤪...  whats your treatment plan again ??  Xxx

Minimad - mine was paclitaxel as well, apparently you either get the hideous back pain or the hideous chest pain  but you don’t get too choose! 

Scary isn’t it? I am ok with pain having had lots of surgeries and reconstruction work done already so I consider myself a tough old bird really but that chest pain was grim.

glad they got it in eventually 

my picc line line is awesome, bloods and chemo through it from now on. Don’t feel a thing! They were using my knuckles for veins so I said enough is enough!

i feel pretty ok today but think I might still be swimming in drugs! No steroids for me this time for afterwards which I was surprised at?

hugs to you all, Ruby xx

Morning Ruby x

yes second lot for me yesterday.

i also had a reaction about 20 mins in. (Paclotaxel)  horrendous lower back spasms.. treatment stopped....more steroid and anti allergy.  Took 20 min to settle then on with treatment.

worse than child birth but i am not one who can do BAD pain...ok so i'm a woss 🤪🤪😆😆

had trouble with veins and cannula again.  Am going to have a picc line fitted to ease my stress and worry.  Shouldget a call on monday hopefully.

hoping all you lovely ladies are coping in your own way to get through this worrying time.

and big HUGS to you all......  one day at a time....we'll get there 💖💖💖💖💖

Morning ladies,

second chemo done, had very scary allergic reaction three minutes in and went into anaphylactic shock. No discernible pulse or bp for a few minutes but the chemo team were amazing and calmly sorted it, slowed the infusion and we got there in the end! Feel like a cat with one less life this morning!

Hubbys fiftieth today so hosting a big bbq for twenty five people! Wishing I had some steroids to take today!

how is everyone today?

Ruby xx

Thanks guys 

think my cold cap experience maybe won’t be as efficient as it was my husband running to freezer to replace gel bit every 30 mins or so, not a pump one, and only 15 mins before & after treatment whilst flush going through! Maybe that’s why it was more tolerable! Zed x

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Well done Zed for the first FEC.  I had that too.   Also had the woozy head first day and nausea but soon passed.  The bag of treats you get given is quite shocking at first isn't it.  I had to keep a diary and write down when to take what but you soon get used to it.  Also well done on the cold cap... I never tried it but it sounds like an endurance mission!

Kip

x

Go Zed for having cold cap n saying it was OK. 

I'm in two minds whether to try it next time as I don't want that horrible sick feeling in last 30 min of the 90min you have to keep it on after chemo.

It's deffo helped me with no loss of hair, but I don't know if I'll be able to keep it up. 

FYI re cold cap question... 

It's like a gel hat, it's tight on your head. Then over the top is another hat, that gets draw string pulled tight and strapped around your chin. 

Freezing cold gel is pumped around 30min prior to chemo, then during chemo then 90min after.

You'll get ice on your hair. 

You'll be cold in the head. 

It's OK I thought, til the last 30min which were hard going. Til then I was like what's the fuss. Then it hit me that freezing cold feeling I couldn't shake off.

I suffered sweating too as I had a hot water bottle and various blankets, possibly too many, might try less next time n see how that goes! 

Hi all. Had my first FEC yesterday. Long wait, long day, felt grotty last night with woozy head, headache, nausea, but much better today. Bit flushed in face looks like pink beard! Did cold cap & that felt fine but not convinced how effective it will be.... 

Came home with shed loads of tablets to take which I didn’t expect- probably stupidly- & the tummy injection things others have mentioned. Drinking ginger drinks to relieve nausea seems to help. Good luck all x

Hi Kip

Thanks for the advise.Lots to think about before I start chemo next Friday

Hi fellow chemo starters. I joined forum today having had my first oncology consultation yesterday. I'm due to start chemo (HPTC) on 21st June providing they can fit all the tests in before then. 

I'm her2+, hormone - grade 3 lymph node involvement. Tumour currently approx. 5cm but growing fast so needs shrinking before I can have surgery.. Anyone with similar diagnosis?

I'm have my pre-treatment council on Monday so any advise would be appreciated. What is a cold cap? 

Minimad, some have pre meds some don’t. Depends on your regime and your oncologist. This time I don’t which tbh I prefer as the pre dosing steroids made me super hungry and the last thing I need is to be bigger than I already am (thank you seven years of Letrozole!) I have iv steroids when I go to the chemo suite then three days worth straight after.

Do ask nurses about the acid, there are multiple drugs you can try. One will work!

Ruby x

I am sorry to hear that Louise, this happened to me with my first lot of chemo in 2011. They pumped me full of antibiotics, took endless bloods and after five very boring days (we practiced each other’s make up and eyebrows) they let me home, infection sorted,  newts intact. It’s a scary thing but they do this all the time, make sure all visitors are healthy and no sickness. You have been unlucky to get this first round, did they give you Filgrastrim to inject?

big hugs. 

Ruby xx

Oh no Louise. I hope they can sort it out quickly xx hugs 

Hi 10 days after 1st round - Docetaxel and Carboplatin - and I have been admitted to hospital.  My temp is 39. They say its an infection - but dont know what sort of infection.  My Marker is 110.  I'm not sure what the marker is  what that means.  I have the Neutropenic thing.  My white blood count is very low.  Feeling very fed up

Hi Ruby,

you mentioned acid indigestion....   i have had a real bad sharp pain behind my chest bone in the middle.   Doesnt feel like burning or burps..... like its acid....

taking a Lansoprazole once a day....  but still getting twinges.

will talk to nurses when i go for my second session on friday...

did you have some pre meds before your first treatment ?   Do we assume this is going to be the norm everytime before our chemo  ??

thx  xx Jan  💖

Hi, all went well, I need to have a pic line put in for next session as veins a bit hidden! I feel fine in myself but apprehensive what’s to come. Procedure painless. One drug made my nose hurt a little bit but only lasted 5 minutes. Good luck tomoz xxxx

Thanks for the prunes tip Debi2, I was eying up a tin in my cupboard earlier so some weird form of mind read going on maybe?

spot on with the anti sickness if you are still feeling or being sick or even the dreaded acid indigestion then ask for something different.

Ruby. Xx

Welcome Whlsarah :-)

Hi everyone, 

I started my chemo on June 3rd, like others I’m having chemo first, 4 cycles of EC, then 4 pertuzumab, trastuzumab and docetaxal - so 6 months altogether, every 3 weeks. 

I was wiped out the first few days, but feeling better this week. 

I had the picc line fitted, and have just had the dressing changed today. 

I had the 💩 issue last week, I tried lactulose as recommended by the nurse. We will see what happens next cycle! 

My scalp feels a bit sore, so I guess my hair is going soon. 

Its been great to read all your posts and hear about similar experiences. 

HI

Just popping in from April starters - i have been having two prunes on a morning and two on any evening (tinned kind in syrup) and they have been good for the plumbing issues. i am trying to eat a lot of fruit too although i do slather them in cold custard which i seem to have a craving for at the moment!!

I also had to change my anti sickness because my first lot made me feel more sickly.  The nurses are there to help you so do ask if the tablets aren't working.

Wishing you all well.

Take care 

Debi2

Hi Ruby,

so pleased Picc line was ok. I asked for a portacath but my hospital only does cannula....😖😖

Good luck for friday,  we can compare notes in the evening.. tc xxJan 💖

For those having a picc line fitted, it was done in under an hour, no more painful than having a cannula put in 😊 could have driven myself home but my step dad was being taxi today due to me still taking the codeine. Good luck ladies with chemo this week, I am back for number two on Friday 😊