333940posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 2019 chemo starters

Re: June 2019 chemo starters

Hi ruby 

started taking tablets. I’m day 12 and picking up now ( feel nearly normal)🤔. Enjoy the rest of your break. It’s so much easier to remember who your talking to when there’s a profile pic. Take care hun xxxx

@rubythursday wrote:

Hi Ladies,

I am free from hospital, very efficient was out in about three hours with an accurate diagnosis and antibiotics 😊 managed to salvage some of the day and went for a late lunch at a lovely Lebanese in soho. Currently chilling in our hotel room. 

Re hair if it’s going to go then generally by the time you start you second round it will be gone, carboplatin paclitaxel weekly ladies might lose all, some, or just have thinning. Cold cappers it seems to be variable. My nine year old gave me a Mohican when mine started to go last time, if I can find the picture I will post it!

alvilajo - take the omeprezole, you won’t regret it and will feel so much better, promise!

i have just done my Filgrastrim injection, some intrepidation tbh as that was the main suspect in my 12 day migraine from hell! Time will tell but I am well armed with remedies! Pic below of what I packed for two night away! Just call me junkie Ruby

9F3CA61D-EFB0-4D41-AEDF-D1C8C84CCF9F.jpeg

Hi ladies, 

Just catching up. 

My name chicken is from my nickname, came about as at uni all I ate was chicken, still true to this day. My dad calls me it and it kinda stuck as a nickname throughout uni and after. 

Also got TDog as a nick name too, but chicken is used by majority of my mates. 81 was Yr born.

Ruby... Bin Jovi living on a prayer and that album was my uni days anthem, love him. Hopefully I'll get to see him perform one day too, didn't know he was doing gigs til it was sold out :/

Bad news how you had to go into hospital, but glad it got sorted quickly.

Been making most of our weekend, as our son is away camping with scouts, so we've got a child free weekend, been in pub all afternoon n evening, making most of my weekend before second chemo Thursday. 

Happy Sunday everyone. 

Claire 

Sleep well xxxx

@mini mad wrote:

Yesterday was my 3rd session with a bone strengthener infusion after.

scared to comb my hair now so gonna leave it until the morning n see whats on my pillow 😳😳

i also had real bad heartburn/sharp pain....  Lansoprazole helped a little but got Omeprazole from dr on chemo unit and soo much better now 👍👍

starting my 3 days of Filgrastim tummy jabs again tomorrow.  3 on and 4 off,  good job hubby does them 👍👍

off to bed now...... keep going and ready to face another day everyone xx 💖💖

Yesterday was my 3rd session with a bone strengthener infusion after.

scared to comb my hair now so gonna leave it until the morning n see whats on my pillow 😳😳

i also had real bad heartburn/sharp pain....  Lansoprazole helped a little but got Omeprazole from dr on chemo unit and soo much better now 👍👍

starting my 3 days of Filgrastim tummy jabs again tomorrow.  3 on and 4 off,  good job hubby does them 👍👍

off to bed now...... keep going and ready to face another day everyone xx 💖💖

Hi Ladies,

I am free from hospital, very efficient was out in about three hours with an accurate diagnosis and antibiotics 😊 managed to salvage some of the day and went for a late lunch at a lovely Lebanese in soho. Currently chilling in our hotel room. 

Re hair if it’s going to go then generally by the time you start you second round it will be gone, carboplatin paclitaxel weekly ladies might lose all, some, or just have thinning. Cold cappers it seems to be variable. My nine year old gave me a Mohican when mine started to go last time, if I can find the picture I will post it!

alvilajo - take the omeprezole, you won’t regret it and will feel so much better, promise!

i have just done my Filgrastrim injection, some intrepidation tbh as that was the main suspect in my 12 day migraine from hell! Time will tell but I am well armed with remedies! Pic below of what I packed for two night away! Just call me junkie Ruby

9F3CA61D-EFB0-4D41-AEDF-D1C8C84CCF9F.jpeg

Hi all

zed51 I had lower back and top of the leg pain, lasted 2 days thankfully.

ruby I hope your feeling better.

mini mad when was your first chemo? I keep checking my hair and wondering when this will happen.

its seems we are all getting similar side effects.

i can’t shift the heartburn and have been using gaviscon but wondering should I take lemoprazol they prescribed xx

Sorry to hear about your uti Ruby 😕

My hair is shedding too minimad. It started slowly but it’s speeding up. Trying to decide when to shave it off with the husbands clippers. 

Also I’ve got a massive spot on my face, I don’t normally get spots, so I’m thinking it’s maybe a side effect. A small one.  But another one. 

Off out for dinner tomorrow- first night out since starting chemo. 

Take me care all xx 

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh minimad,  deep breaths darling,  although we know the hair may go its still tough when it does but try to think at least the chemo is doing its job...and it cones back.. Crazier and wilder but it comes back.

Big hug to you and all you June ladies

Kip

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh minimad,  deep breaths darling,  although we know the hair may go its still tough when it does but try to think at least the chemo is doing its job...and it cones back.. Crazier and wilder but it comes back.

Big hug to you and all you June ladies

Kip

Ruby: I am so sorry uti has messed up with you again. Hope you don't need to stay too long in the hospital.

Mini mad: big hug to you, I think no one can prepare you for the sight of losing your hair. Being the less painful side effect is looks like is the most visible. I would feel weepy myself and I will if cold capping doesn't work.

Zed51: I am starting those injections on Monday, so we'll see how I get on. Good to know about paracetamol and warmth. Hope you are feeling better.

Hi all, just been reading all your lovely comments about how you’re doing. I think I’ve got off relatively lightly after having my first FEC 10 days ago but I had my last of the 5 tummy injection to boost bone marrow thing last night and am feeling it today! Really painful in my lower back & top of legs, walking like right old lady. Phoned line & they recommended paracetamol & warmth so hopefully will sort it. My dog not impressed at tiny walk for 10 mins. 

My name comes from being called Zoe which is so short I thought could never be abbreviated but an old friend always called me Zed! And I’m 51! Not very inventive 😝 hope everyone has a nice sunny evening x

Oh well i knew it would happen sooner or later...  just gave my hair a light wash and have started to lose some 😔😔😔 😳😳😳

i thought i was prepared for this but still felt shocked n bit weepy 😢😢

but.... lets get on with it.... im all prepared with my wiggie and assorted head scarves.. just wanted to keep my hair for my nephews visit next week.... maybe i'll lose it slowly.

ok thats it xx  off to do dinner...💖💖

Hey Ruby,

real sorry to read you've had recurrence of that dam uti again.  Do hope you r feeling more comfortable now.   Yes we need to be on our toes all the time , we cant rely on our nurses alk the time,  they are sooo busy.

i am keeping a daily diary on how i feel and se when they occur.

i also list any questions/reminders ( in a nice way ) 😊 that i need to ask..

so far no se from my bone infusion yesterday 🤞🤞

thinking of you lovely ladies this weekend and just do what your body tells you. Xx💖💖

Morning lovelies,

good news - we made it to Bon Jovi and I nearly made it to the end! 

Bad news - uti reared it’s head again early this morning and has shifted to my kidney, now sat in a and e at UCLH awaiting bloods results and a shot of iv antibiotics and some fluids. Turns out having spoken to chemo team this morning that no one bothered to check the urine cultures they did when I was in hospital and the two antibiotics I have had already The infection is resistant to 😫😳😞😡 it’s the little things sometimes but I know now to chase them myself! I should know having done this before how on the ball I have to be, I don’t blame the staff tbh they are so busy they just move on once you are “off the books” so to speak.

So depending on how long I am stuck in here for and how I feel we may have to come home early, was supposed to be last part of hubbys birthday celebrations. I feel so bad for him and he is so lovely about it all 😞

Hope you are all having as good a weekend as possible!

Ruby xx

Hi ladies,

My nickname has not much mystery since it is my real name- it's the Spanish word for Happiness and I try to live by it as much as possible Woman Wink 

It's day two after chemo 1 EC and I 've been doing well, just a bit tired and a bit of dry mouth - but that was something I had prior chemo. Red cheeks are up, but my mood , appetite and overall wellbeing is fine. Let's see once steroids and anti-nausea meds are out of the picture on Monday. I have my jabs to do at home from Monday too.

I had PICC line fitted on Tuesday 18th and I don't feel it , they've packed it as a "spring roll" with some bandages and folded it upwards so it's not dangling or causing discomfort, I barely notice is there and is such a blessing for when they are injecting the chemo, I didn't feel a thing.I bought some nice covers so I am not self conscious when I'm not wearing long sleeve outdoors in a restaurant or café -or at work. @Alvilajo, I got my covers from amazon seller Hipheadwear. Very nice quality, reasonable priced.

Cold cap wise, I took it better than I thought, it made my stay longer but let's see if there are results for me. It was funny  because even if it doesn't look like because my hair is thin, my head is quite big and average sized hats don't fit me, so they spent some time fetching a hat I could wear.

@rubythursday, enjoy Bon Jovi! Wembley is such a great venue and they are a fantastic band. I like your attitude towards making the most of the steroids high!

@MrsVelo I know what you mean about friends. Most of mine are not doing that and my closest friend has been reading about "what not to say" . They are meaning well, but perhaps you can tell them discreetly that those comments are not really cheering you up, maybe a link from a blog or web could help them out? A big hug to you, it's not an easyu diagnose or a thing to digest - just realized today is my first month anniversary from diagnosis. It seems so far away and so recent at the same time.

@whlsarah, hope the weather is beautiful as it is in London and you can make the most of the weekend before Chemo.

@minimad Norfolk is gorgeous. I hope your next chemo doesn't give you spams. 

Hugs to you all , it feels so good to have such a group of lovely and fighting ladies around here.

Alvilajo are the first two initials of my 

husband, me, daughter and son names x

vicky xxx

@mini mad wrote:

Hey Chicken81

you did make me laugh 😆😆😆😆

yesterday i was talking to my neighbour and i kept getting my words the wrong way round and she said " you didnt watch the 2 Ronnies last night did you "   🤪🤪

so just thought you may not be of a certain age to have any idea what i'm talking about !!!! 

Cant help wondering what all our " names " mean on here ?

me, well i love mini cars and have a 2010 mini clubman hence " Minimad "

how about all you other lovelies  💖

@mini mad wrote:

Hey Chicken81

yesterday i was talking to my neighbour and i kept getting my words the wrong way round and she said " you didnt watch the 2 Ronnies last night did you "   🤪🤪

so just thought you may not be of a certain age to have any idea what i'm talking about !!!! 

Morning all! 

In reply to our names, I’m a spurs fan, so the whl stands for white hart lane. I’ve used whlsarah for so many years now I can’t be creative and think of anything else! 

My second round of chemo is on Monday. So I’m going to try and be active this weekend before the fug hits again. 

I’m curious to know if the prune buns were effective?! 

Hey ruby,

also had a reaction to Paclitaxel again ,but not as severe a last week.

Just stating again now... enjoy Bon Jovi....  may the steroids keep you going xx 💖💖

Hello! 

Chemo number three done and dusted, just fifteen more to go!  Reacted again to the paclitaxel, but just normal reaction not anaphylactic like last time thank god! On way to Peterborough to catch train to see Bon Jovi tonight...may the steroids keep me up for long enough!

my name on here is my husbands nickname for me, although he also called our 1978 vw campervan Ruby as well, not sure what that says about that 😂

Ruby xx

Hey Chicken81

Mrs Velo, I have my second chemo June 27th.

Yours is different to mine as I'm on EC. 

The Friday after I was OK, we went out for lunch n walk and I rested. 

Wasn't til sat n sun I was wiped out. 

I think the steroids I had to take Fri am n lunch must've given me a kick. 

So you won't really know what happens til it happens. 

Ladies.... The hospital gave me that mouthwash after first chemo, just noticed it this morning, and here's me asking what's it called to get it for next time! 

Dam I think I must have chemo brain! 

Oooh never heard of picline covers will take a look x

Ha ha I’m a jeans girls so going for bandanas xxx

@MrsVelo wrote:

Thanks Alvilajo,

proper dreading it.  One thing I also struggle with is wonderful friends seem to trying to make me laugh about it!  Oh haha we can all have some fun with wigs, or oh you can make a great fashion statement with wonderful funky scarves!  God bless them they must be reading some website about "how to cheer up your friend with cancer".  Clearly they have lost the plot, I am a fat 54year old, definitely young at heart, but I live and die in jeans and tee shirts and never wear a scrap of make-up.   I will never wear a wig and will prob choose snoods to keep head covered when my hair starts going on a little holiday.  Big love to you all. xx

Hi mini mad.  Sorry you are here too, but equally glad ladies like you are so we all have someone to talk to.  It's hard to keep a lid on it sometimes eh?  I ordered some picc line covers on ebay, and I have heaps of scarves and snoods to make use of when the time comes.  Hope the PICC line goes ok for you lovely, they are gentle professionals and give some local anaesthetic; it really isn't too bad honestly.  xx

Hi Ruby,

when is your next chemo...today or tomorrow ??

my 3rd is at 12.30 and like you said i'm hoping i dont have the back spasms again..

hope the weather down there is as good as up here in Norfolk today 🌤🌤💖💖

Hi MrsVelo.

sorry that you have joined us here.

the shock of being told you have breast cancer made me completely numb... but you learn to cope with it a day at a time...big HUGS 💖

i am also having Paclitaxel one day a week for 12 weeks and Carboplatin every 3 weeks.

today i have my 3rd session.... im not cold capping either,  already have my wig and variety of pre tied beautiful head scarves off ebay.  

i HAD triple negative bc....mastectomy in april with level 1 axilliary nodes.  All margins were clear 👍

chemo needed to be done and have had some side effects but just treat them when they appear. We are all different regarding se  so hoping you  are one of the luckier ones 💖

i am 68 and always wear jeans/jeggings and nice tops.... and make up but not doing mascara now  cos i want to keep my lashes as long as poss.

i have my picc line fitted next thursday.... my veins are already bad....

good luck to you and we are always on here if you want to talk..💖💖

Thanks Alvilajo,

proper dreading it.  One thing I also struggle with is wonderful friends seem to trying to make me laugh about it!  Oh haha we can all have some fun with wigs, or oh you can make a great fashion statement with wonderful funky scarves!  God bless them they must be reading some website about "how to cheer up your friend with cancer".  Clearly they have lost the plot, I am a fat 54year old, definitely young at heart, but I live and die in jeans and tee shirts and never wear a scrap of make-up.   I will never wear a wig and will prob choose snoods to keep head covered when my hair starts going on a little holiday.  Big love to you all. xx

Bless you sound like me. You could sail through or you could be tired it really varies. I cry at the hospital and when I get a hospital letter as it reminds us What’s going on and it becomes all fresh again. Good luck to you and I didn’t go for cold cap either xxx vicxxx 

@MrsVelo wrote:

Hi ladies, well after what seems like a long wait my chemo starts next Thurs 27th.  Paclitaxel weekly for twelve, Trastuzumab every three weeks for a year.  Had two ops earlier this year, HER2+.  Decided againgst cold cap, can't be ars**d, will probably need a scarf anyway so thought I (we) are going through enough why add more pain/discomfort.  I realise it's personal choice though, anyone choosing it is braver than me!  Had PICC line in yesterday, not tooooo bad, but every time .i go near the hospital it sets my emotions off and I struggle not to cry.  Am dreading chemo.  At home I just act normal.  The day after my first one I am due to go to the I.o.W for the day cycling!  No idea if that will happen as no idea how I am going to feel.  Does it wipe you out after just one session?  Oh flip, I am seriously dreading the next three or four months. 

Highlighted

Hi ladies, well after what seems like a long wait my chemo starts next Thurs 27th.  Paclitaxel weekly for twelve, Trastuzumab every three weeks for a year.  Had two ops earlier this year, HER2+.  Decided againgst cold cap, can't be ars**d, will probably need a scarf anyway so thought I (we) are going through enough why add more pain/discomfort.  I realise it's personal choice though, anyone choosing it is braver than me!  Had PICC line in yesterday, not tooooo bad, but every time .i go near the hospital it sets my emotions off and I struggle not to cry.  Am dreading chemo.  At home I just act normal.  The day after my first one I am due to go to the I.o.W for the day cycling!  No idea if that will happen as no idea how I am going to feel.  Does it wipe you out after just one session?  Oh flip, I am seriously dreading the next three or four months. 

Thats good to know thanks, if you fancy a day in Folkestone I’m doing the breast cancer tea party on 29th June xxx

@Jencat wrote:

Try not to worry about the picc line Avilajo. and mini mad, I had one put in when I had chemo and I didn't feel anything! 

I'm near Rochester Avilajo xx

Try not to worry about the picc line Avilajo. and mini mad, I had one put in when I had chemo and I didn't feel anything! 

I'm near Rochester Avilajo xx

Thank you 😘😘😘

@mini mad wrote:

Hi Alvilajo,

Sorry to read you're suffering somewhat and then to get that letter.  Not surprised you're worried but all i can say is " try not to worry "....   i know i know its easier said than done but we just have to stay positive and strong...  we're WOMEN WARRIORS..... somehow we take what life throws at us and just get on with it......   getting carried away here....🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

I have my picc fitted next thursday so i will want to know how you get on next wednesday 🤞🤞

good luck and big hugs to you all.. xx💖💖

Hi Alvilajo,

Sorry to read you're suffering somewhat and then to get that letter.  Not surprised you're worried but all i can say is " try not to worry "....   i know i know its easier said than done but we just have to stay positive and strong...  we're WOMEN WARRIORS..... somehow we take what life throws at us and just get on with it......   getting carried away here....🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

I have my picc fitted next thursday so i will want to know how you get on next wednesday 🤞🤞

good luck and big hugs to you all.. xx💖💖

Hi I thought it was good having two lol. I live in Folkestone xxx

@Jencat wrote:

Hi Avilajo, just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you re onc's letter. Although they're writing what has been discussed, it seems to look worse when it's written down. With regards to the nodes, I might be wrong, but I thought having 2 wasn't too bad. I had 3 and I remember the consultant saying that made me more borderline for having chemo. 

I think you might be in my neck of the woods as you mentioned Canterbury! x

Chemo two weeks yesterday but see oncologist next Thursday and pick line next wed xxxx

@rubythursday wrote:

I don’t know tbh, worth checking out though - when is your next chemo?

Hi Avilajo, just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you re onc's letter. Although they're writing what has been discussed, it seems to look worse when it's written down. With regards to the nodes, I might be wrong, but I thought having 2 wasn't too bad. I had 3 and I remember the consultant saying that made me more borderline for having chemo. 

I think you might be in my neck of the woods as you mentioned Canterbury! x

I don’t know tbh, worth checking out though - when is your next chemo?

Could anemia kick in in just a week. Hope you had lovely meal xxx

I am 49 as well, I have been most definitely post menopausal for the past six years. It’s not so bad, just different.

if you are knackered and breathless you might just have a touch of anemia maybe? I am also tired, but functional mostly, had lunch with my youngest today - it is his 20th birthday today, he was 9 when I was diagnosed first time round! I have more chemo tomorrow, then planning (if I don’t react like last time) to jump on a train to London to go see Bon Jovi at Wembley then spend the weekend in London..well I will be high as a kite on steroids so might as well make the most of it!

xx

Aw ruby bless, sorry I do feel  lucky catching it early but one day they say two nodes is good and the u read that. I didn’t want to know my scoring as I would just worry so just accepted that they know best. It’s scary s**t this stuff. I’m 49 and yeh pre menopausal. I went to Canterbury today with hubby for a bit of retail  therapy but was exhausted. It feels like I’m on a mountain high up in Peru where energy’s affected, that’s the only way I can describe it. How are you feeling hun xxxx

Hey Alvilajo,

i know its it’s hard but try not to be upset, the AI’s are generally considered to be more effective at keeping breast cancer away, I had a recurrence within two years on tamoxifen and went more than seven with Letrozole, and I was unlucky - many, many women never have it come back at all!

i guess from how young you look in your picture you are premenopausal? Zoladex is ok, as is Letrozole. I have done both and I have had my ovaries removed too to stop the oestrogen, please ask if there is anything you want to know.

This whole hellish experience is an emotional rollercoaster and we all wobble from time to time.

ibuprofen combined with paracetamol, plus a heated back pad helps with GSF injection pain. Don’t suffer, talk to the chemo team.

Sending you a big hug.

Ruby xx

Hi ladies how’s your day been?

fatigues kicked in again today and the worst ache/ pain in hips and lower back probably from injections. Had a letter from oncologist, well a copy of what he sent to surgeon which upset me a bit. I can’t have tamoxifen as I take sertraline and have for years so he’s written as she has 2 positive lymph nodes categorising her as high risk, he suggests I receive hormone therapy with an aroma tase inhibitor and zoledex for at least 3/5 years. I knew this bit the wording high risk had set me off again 😢 xxx

Good luck.. 💖💖

Make some prune buns, worked for me and give u something to do 😘

@Zed51 wrote:

Hi all. A week since my first FEC & I’ve had constipation & sore mouth issues but both seem to be subsiding using all those meds people have talked about. I have fuzzy head at various points in day but worse first thing I think. Not enjoying having the tummy jabs but only 2 to go now this time. I think the most frustrating thing is being at home alone when I’m used to being up & about & full time teacher. Life is usually packed so I’m trying to do some little things to entertain myself! Can’t focus on reading etc but having a dog to walk is very helpful. Hoping week 2 starting today means more energy but know it’s the more likely one for immune system issues. I need to learn knitting or something! 🧶 

@felicidad wrote:

Morning ladies!I am glad to read about all of you.Today is day one of EC for me at 1pm and I am cold capping.A bit anxious but I have fabulous people round me who have helped me to prepare for it .

All the best to everyone x

Hope all runs smoothly xxx

Hi all. A week since my first FEC & I’ve had constipation & sore mouth issues but both seem to be subsiding using all those meds people have talked about. I have fuzzy head at various points in day but worse first thing I think. Not enjoying having the tummy jabs but only 2 to go now this time. I think the most frustrating thing is being at home alone when I’m used to being up & about & full time teacher. Life is usually packed so I’m trying to do some little things to entertain myself! Can’t focus on reading etc but having a dog to walk is very helpful. Hoping week 2 starting today means more energy but know it’s the more likely one for immune system issues. I need to learn knitting or something! 🧶 

Morning ladies!I am glad to read about all of you.Today is day one of EC for me at 1pm and I am cold capping.A bit anxious but I have fabulous people round me who have helped me to prepare for it .

All the best to everyone x

It’s a good job we’ve got each other it makes all these abnormal things feel more normal lol xxx

@mini mad wrote:

I've had some sharp stabby pains in my head but not fuzzy feeling 😳😳 xxx

I’m on ec epirubicin and cyclophosphamide. I will mention it next week x

@rubythursday wrote:

Hi Alvilajo, I had ear problems with carboplatin, lots of background noises, pain and super sensitive. Which chemo are you on? Might be worth checking if it’s a known side effect?

Ruby xx

@rubythursday wrote:

Hi Alvilajo, I had ear problems with carboplatin, lots of background noises, pain and super sensitive. Which chemo are you on? Might be worth checking if it’s a known side effect?

Ruby xx

I've had some sharp stabby pains in my head but not fuzzy feeling 😳😳 xxx