330860posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 2019 chemo starters

Re: June 2019 chemo starters

Hi Ladies, 

I am Michelle - I have been reading all your entries for a while - like a stalker as I haven't been joining in with the conversations 

I too started chemo in June 

Diagnosed in March, had a mastectomy, recon & then further node removal after sentinal showed positive .. further nodes came back clear 

So number 4 'EC' completed Wednesday just gone - thank goodness, I havent enjoyed it,  then onto Paclitaxel for x4 cycles .. I've been following how you've all been throughout & matching up with my side effects - my worst time is the few days after I assume when the steriod is coming out of system & I have the major lows, so teary, depressive pretty much - its just not me & I can't seem to 'snap' out of it  Smiley Sad 

I'm assuming its also hormone menopausal symptom related too 

My hair started going on day 17 ish after my first ec,  so went for the shave, I have a couple of wigs & numerous turban scarves - I hate them all !  Brows & lashes yet to go .. but thank you for the magnetic lashes link,  I went ahead & ordered a set & they arrived today - awaiting the chemo stole my lashes day 😭😭 

Thank you for confirming the 'norms' of this rubbish blip we are going through  

Michelle xx 

I’ll take another look thanks x

@Chicken81 wrote:

Alvilajo. 

You apply the magnetic eye liner, leave to dry and the lashes then stick to the magnetic eye liner. 

The video on the site shows the eye liner and then placing lashes on top. 

Not sure your watching the correct video if you see them attaching to your lashes. They are older style lashes that came out a few yrs ago, but not sure they took off as people found them fiddily. 

I've a few mates moving to these lashes now as they're sick of glue. 

Hopefully that helps? 

@Alvilajo wrote:

How do they work if you have no lashes as looking at the video they stick to your own lashes xx

@Alvilajo wrote:

Wow they look fab xx

@Chicken81 wrote:

I am booked into Look good feel good via Maggies charity next month. Feel as though now I'm fully in need of how to look like me. 

Here are the links. 

Lashes

https://lolaslashes.co.uk/

Lash link

I went for diamond, but sapphire would be more subtle. 

Brows 

https://thewomenlobby.com/products/eyebrow-ink-pen?variant=21296096870513

Brow pen link

I bought dark brown, so I think it's quite dark, so I'm careful in the use of it. Wish I'd ordered light brown now. 

Before and After for you

IMG_20190808_185452_564.jpg

English rose.... 

I'm chemo first to shrink the lump. 

Then surgery. 

I'm told it has reduced. 

I think it's due to me being HER+ and oestrogen + and ER (I think these are all my add ons)

Best outcome will be, lump reduced and I'm clear from genetic testing for BRCA gene so lumptecomy. 

Worst case will be testing positive and getting double mastectomy and possible further preventive surgery as I'm being tested for ovarian cancer gene too.

Will know near to Oct the outcomes. 

Alvilajo. 

You apply the magnetic eye liner, leave to dry and the lashes then stick to the magnetic eye liner. 

The video on the site shows the eye liner and then placing lashes on top. 

Not sure your watching the correct video if you see them attaching to your lashes. They are older style lashes that came out a few yrs ago, but not sure they took off as people found them fiddily. 

I've a few mates moving to these lashes now as they're sick of glue. 

Hopefully that helps? 

@Alvilajo wrote:

How do they work if you have no lashes as looking at the video they stick to your own lashes xx

@Alvilajo wrote:

Wow they look fab xx

@Chicken81 wrote:

I am booked into Look good feel good via Maggies charity next month. Feel as though now I'm fully in need of how to look like me. 

Here are the links. 

Lashes

Lash link

Brows 

Brow pen link

I bought dark brown, so I think it's quite dark, so I'm careful in the use of it. Wish I'd ordered light brown now. 

Before and After for you

That’s rubbish, might be worth asking them if you can have a different chemo day, I did and it was no trouble... if you don’t ask...

Also frustrating as it is to have a week off try to think of it as time to recharge your batteries, enjoy a bit more of life and be fighting fit for the next step :-) 

failing that the cake idea idea is a good one!

Ruby xx

@Zed51 wrote:

Had two blood tests this week, neither were satisfactory so have been delayed on starting herceptin & docetaxel for a week. Don’t know whether to be pleased or angry! Think angry as if it’s exactly a week late I will be in hospital for my initial 6 hour Herceptin appointment on my 52nd birthday! What a treat 

Poor you ❤️ I spent my 40th having brain scan. My 30 th wed anniversary having armpit clearance and valentines day I was diagnosed lol. 

@Zed51 wrote:

Had two blood tests this week, neither were satisfactory so have been delayed on starting herceptin & docetaxel for a week. Don’t know whether to be pleased or angry! Think angry as if it’s exactly a week late I will be in hospital for my initial 6 hour Herceptin appointment on my 52nd birthday! What a treat 

Nooooooo😠!! Poor you. It must be so frustrating to hear that. If it is on your bday take in some cake. 6 hours 😳😳😳

let us know how it goes...❤️

Nicky x

🔥🍝😋. With you all the way Ruby on sriracha hot sauce 😬35CB910C-E3C1-4DC6-9950-7304C6FD6403.jpeg

Hey everyone,

so interesting and helpful reading all of your posts.

i have my second to last Paclitaxel this friday and FINAL one next friday....   yay.......

seem a long time for just one chemo session but what with the pre meds ( if you're having any )  and all the flushing inbetween time does drag on....  Paclitaxel is usually an hour session.

we are given our lunch in the chemo room if appt is around 12 ish,  i just take some biccy nibbles and water with me. 

Keep strong you lovely ladies and if i can help anyone just post on here.

mini mad xx 💖💖   Oh and my hubby finally buzzed my hair today  👩‍🦲👩‍🦲

Hey! That should be me too. I know it’s a long session and I was taken aback too😮. Will confirm with you my start date next week. Going to need friends to take and pick me up so will need to start a spreadsheet!!! Everyone has offered help so now will be their chance 😂 Hope your EC today ok and you manage se. Awful day outside and inside today. On sofa 🤢🤯😴😓

Placlitaxel starts 2/9/19 takes four hours eeek. I’ll take a picnic lol

Waiting for my appointment to see oncologist, so not sure when placlitaxel starts but I know I’ve got 4 every other week. Off to the hospital now. Take care all of you xxxx 😘

It is tough tough tough. Our minds play tricks and the drugs don’t help in that front!! I do hope the EC is okay and we will start the Paclitaxel together and be better. That is what everyone I’ve spoken to keeps telling me. Will wait for this rain to stop before walking the dog so great excuse to put my feet up and have a herbal tea ☕️

Jeez Ruby!!!!!!! What an arduous journey you’ve been on. I hope you don’t mind me saying I hope I don’t have to go through all of that. Just a reconstruction at some point. You are one helluva strong lady 💪🏻😘

P.s you look amazing in all the pics I’ve seen xx😘

Hi English rose, your right when we don’t feel great we worry more and yes I love the 10 days before the next treatment. I had lumpectomy for 25mm cancer and as one of the sentinel nodes was involved i had 2nd opp to clear rest where one more node was found. So 2/15. I’ve suffered with anxiety over the years but dealt well in the beginning of diagnosis but feeling a bit of a strain at the moment, xxx

You look great with short hair! 

I have already (previously) had two lumpectomies, lymph clearance, oopherectomy, mastectomy and free tram flap reconstruction. This time I have had another lumpectomy so my surgery is all done. Once I finish chemo that’s it, I will be released back into the wild 😜 

@EnglishRose2019 wrote:

Thank you ladies for all the recent posts. I had my last EC on Monday and will begin 12 weekly Paclitaxel in September (tbc once I’ve seen my oncologist on Tuesday...) so very interested to hear your stories. 

Also Alvilajo, I am a really positive person and have not let BC stop me from doing much, but I get very anxious a few days before chemo anticipating what is ahead, and somewhat depressed during the week after chemo thinking I’m not getting any better and the cancer has spread from my lymph nodes... so completely understand where you’re coming from. I then wake up a week to the day of EC and am bouncing and happy and positive!

I think I may have mentioned before that I have already had my mastectomy. Are all you other ladies reducing your tumours before surgery?

Ruby, you’ve obviously been through the wars before! Your hair looks great 🤗 I still have quite a bit but found the GI Jane look works best for me. Though it’s thinned a bit more since this pic!E47DD30D-ECD0-4272-9E29-6A5FBDD34FDB.jpeg

Sorry if waffling. I’m suffering from steroid induced insomnia as usual first few days so only a few hours sleep last 2 nights 😳

I’m really finding the support from you all important and interesting how differently we react to the same drugs. Take care 💕✨👊🏻

Aw ruby I’m sorry, you’ve really been through it. How many chemos have you been through? You probably are an expert now 😘 x

Thank you ladies for all the recent posts. I had my last EC on Monday and will begin 12 weekly Paclitaxel in September (tbc once I’ve seen my oncologist on Tuesday...) so very interested to hear your stories. 

Also Alvilajo, I am a really positive person and have not let BC stop me from doing much, but I get very anxious a few days before chemo anticipating what is ahead, and somewhat depressed during the week after chemo thinking I’m not getting any better and the cancer has spread from my lymph nodes... so completely understand where you’re coming from. I then wake up a week to the day of EC and am bouncing and happy and positive!

I think I may have mentioned before that I have already had my mastectomy. Are all you other ladies reducing your tumours before surgery?

Ruby, you’ve obviously been through the wars before! Your hair looks great 🤗 I still have quite a bit but found the GI Jane look works best for me. Though it’s thinned a bit more since this pic!E47DD30D-ECD0-4272-9E29-6A5FBDD34FDB.jpeg

Sorry if waffling. I’m suffering from steroid induced insomnia as usual first few days so only a few hours sleep last 2 nights 😳

I’m really finding the support from you all important and interesting how differently we react to the same drugs. Take care 💕✨👊🏻

Hi Alvilajo,

its most likely nothing to worry about but get it checked if it’s making you anxious. I find the steroids make me anxious, do you? I have had a total of six tumours over eleven years now and not one of them was sore in any way, well they weren’t until I poked them night and day anyway! Hope that helps?

You are doing brilliantly, it does get tougher for some as our bodies get more battered by all the drugs but it’s still doable and you will get through this and one day it will just be a distant memory. :-) 

and after today o day it will be only eight weeks!

Ruby xx

@Alvilajo wrote:

Thanks ruby, I seem to be getting more nervous as time goes on, I’m dreading today’s last ec. My armpit feels tender where scar is, maybe I’ve pulled it gardening but that makes me nervous. I’m not coping as well as I was. But only 9 weeks  to go xxx

Thanks ruby, I seem to be getting more nervous as time goes on, I’m dreading today’s last ec. My armpit feels tender where scar is, maybe I’ve pulled it gardening but that makes me nervous. I’m not coping as well as I was. But only 9 weeks  to go xxx

Hello All,

I know minimad has already shared her experience of Paclitaxel, I thought I would add mine to the mix as well! As most of you know I had a severe allergic reaction to Paclitaxel on my second session, this is a rare thing although minor reactions (flushing, feeling tingly) seem quite common and easily sorted. 

After three weeks i was I was changed to Nab Paclitaxel, which is still the same drug but delivered not in solvent base but a human albumin base. I have been fine with this.

side effects? Most of my side effects seem to be after I have had the Carboplatin (the other half of my combo delivered 3 weekly, the paclitaxel is weekly) for the first time this week I have had some bone pain, I haven’t needed anything stronger than paracetamol to manage it so far.  My feet are tingly and sore for a few days, this could be either drug tbh. I do have some numbness in hands and feet, grade one so far and manageable.

I am giving one dose of steroids with the paclitaxel and then no others (so only one night of eating the fridge contents instead of three) and one anti sickness on the day then no more prescribed or needed. I have no nausea of paclitaxel alone nor acid indigestion and although I would say I have less of an appetite can eat and drink normally. I do however seem to have developed a taste for really spicy foods and now have an unhealthy relationship with a large bottle of sriracha sauce!

overall I have so far found paclitaxel to be the easier of the two chemos I am on, I have had nine so far ( a few at reduced dose) and eight more to go, I do expect the side effects to worsen as it builds up in my body. It’s what I experienced before and seems to be common.

oh, one more thing I still have most of my hair. I have had some thinning and that could get worse or come out completely but I am managing quite well with an expert combover and a large bottle of (see upside down photo!) hairspray! 

67D29113-4DE7-42AE-9417-A42D73FDEAC5.jpegI am still going out a couple of times a week for lunch or dinner or to ogle some posh garden somewhere  an managed very well with a night away this week, off to the races this week and then to see Years and Years if I am well enough following today’s chemo :-) 

Hope that helps, obviously we are all different but not everyone has a horror story to tell!

Ruby xx

Paclitaxel isnt too bad.

i've had most of the side effects but not all together.  Worst for me where the headaches...  theni just kinda waited to see what each day would bring....  

i did have a reaction on my second dose of Paclitaxel...  horrendous lower back spasms but again not everybody gets this.

with regards to how long a session takes, Paclitaxel is an hour session but   for me it can be anything between 4-5 1/2 hrs.  Sounds a long time but i have 5 pre meds before it all starts plus they are always short staffed n bcoz i had a reaction,  the first half an hour is at a slower rate,  then its back to usual speed.

hope this doesnt sound to daunting...  we're all different with our reactions to these god awful drugs 👿     Thinking of you all ..  mini mad xx 💖💖

I contacted that “someone like me” and they have matched me with a lady who’s had more or less the same treatment as me but three years on, she’s calling me Friday for a chat, will let you know how it goes xx

I start that in three weeks, how’s it going and how long does it take xxx

@mini mad wrote:

I am currently on Paclitaxel..   any help/advise just ask.

good luck,  its not too bad .   Mini mad xx 💖💖

I am currently on Paclitaxel..   any help/advise just ask.

good luck,  its not too bad .   Mini mad xx 💖💖

Hi

I switch to paclitaxel for the next 12 weeks and am really nervous about having to deal with a whole new set offside effects.

EC has been reasonably good to me. Been on Emend and Ondanestron for nausea as well as Dexamethasone steroids. As a result the nausea has been manageable, day five seemed to be my worst with what I can best describe as gland pain in the throat, my oncologist shout it might be a reaction to the GCSF (the white cell injection thingy). 

The thing is I got used to this over the past 8-9 weeks and now find the fear of the unknown rearing it's ugly head again!

@Zed51 wrote:

Hi ladies. Guess I’m halfway through chemo as at end of round 3 of 6. Had a lovely few days away in Yorkshire with our newly acquired little campervan which was fab. Now back to the prospect of Herceptin on Thursday which means waiting 6 hours on ward afterwards to see if I have a reaction, then back on Friday for docetaxel (T). Feel ridiculously worried about it being new stuff after coping with FEC. Like starting all over again. Trying to concentrate on nice stuff tomorrow & Wednesday beforehand 😨

Hi

I did my Look Good Feel Better at my local Macmillan centre - I would check out lookgoodfeelbetter.co.uk to look for whether they do sessions near you.

Hi chicken, Zed, Alviego and all,  Your treatment won’t be too bad ( I hope)

Ive just had my 3rd cycle trastuzamab, pertuzamab and docetaxol which I have been on since the start of my treatment. I didn’t have EC . My chemo is Carboplatin. The targeted  drugs don’t seem to given me any horrendous side effect. Docetaxal seem to make me feel very nauseous and sick.

I-have been on Ondasetron but on my 2nd cycle I felt nauseous for 10 days. I told my Oncologist who prescribed Emend ( tells your brain not to feel sick lol) for my 3rd cycle yesterday. It’s expensive so they don’t automatically prescribe it. I still take Ondasetron as well as that works on your tummy I think. So far I don’t feel too bad.

I also take steroids that cause constipation. Other drugs give me the trots. I do try to manage the effects with with diet, not always successfully so then the pills. If you get bad diarrhoea my chemo nurse advised drinking lucozade sports drink to replace the electrodes immediately after an episode. It seemed to work with me. Stopped the I’ll feeling very quickly.

When I started the treatment I was told that they drip the drugs slowly so they can pick up on any adverse  reactions and sort it. You have a long break before the docetaxol so they can determine which drugs you react too. I dad my treatment over 2 days to start but Iwas still therefor nearly 7 hours. But if you seem okay they will let you leave earlier as long as you have someone with you just in case.

Also I feel very lazy at times but if possible I try to go for a walk. It definitely makes me feel better for a while and then I have a better rest ( don’t feel soooo rotten just pleasantly weary. 

Anyway Good luck with your new regime. I hope it goes as well as mine but just remember all these Nasty poisons are necessary to get rid of the nasty invaders

Best wishes all, Bod xx

@Alvilajo wrote:

Wow they look fab xx

@Chicken81 wrote:

Here are the links. 

Lashes

Lash link

Brows 

Brow pen link

Before and After for you

Hi zed, I'm the same. 

Finished EC and next four will be doxetacel, trazumpabab (I think it's herceptin) and perzumbab.

Totally incorrect spellings, but three new drugs. 

Three days of steriods too, starting the day before, plus double the dose I was on for EC. 

I was told the first chemo of this type I'll be in all day too, as they give each one separate to see for side effects. 

Then if all goes well next time the perz and trannz will be together and dox after as that's the most likely to give you side effects. 

Like you it's a worry as I've got used to the EC routine. It's like starting chemo all over. 

At least my viens won't be getting hammered I'm told EC impacts on the viens, whereas these drugs don't. 

Hope the horrible mouth taste goes too. 

Ruby I'm glad to hear weight gain is less on these drugs. 

But my face is filling up, like the steriods pump it up each time! 

I need a deflate! 

Thanks for your kind & helpful words Ruby. Xxx

loving the campervan. Ours is a newer T4 (still 20 years old ) but still got character & my husband, spaniel & I loved it. Kids too old / too cool to come with us! Looking forward to planning another spontaneous few days when we can next. Zx

I know it’s hard but try not to worry, some people find the taxols much easier than fec or ec. I found doceta xol  different to FEC, no nausea for a start, and I stopped piling on weight! I did get very tired towards the end but I think that would happen whatever.  Try and keep an open mind?

we have a campervan too, she’s a 1978 vw campervan called Ruby..she stole my nickname!

Ruby (the human one!) xx

@Zed51 wrote:

Hi ladies. Guess I’m halfway through chemo as at end of round 3 of 6. Had a lovely few days away in Yorkshire with our newly acquired little campervan which was fab. Now back to the prospect of Herceptin on Thursday which means waiting 6 hours on ward afterwards to see if I have a reaction, then back on Friday for docetaxel (T). Feel ridiculously worried about it being new stuff after coping with FEC. Like starting all over again. Trying to concentrate on nice stuff tomorrow & Wednesday beforehand 😨

Yes she gave me them this time as they run out of others, although I’ve not felt sick really 

@mini mad wrote:

Hi Alvilajo and Ruby ,

have either of you or any other followers on this thread taken Ondansetron for nausea/vomiting ?

Domperidone pretty useless for me..

awfully sick at 3.30 am this morning and felt nauseaous  since then 🤢🤢

mini mad xx 💖💖

Thanks Ruby..  had my chemo last friday... think ive only got 2 more...gonna check when i go for my next one this friday..

dont know what happens after my final one 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Took ondansetron at 4.15,  feel bit easier already 👍👍

mini mad xx

Hi Minimad, yes I have! ondenasetron is my anti nausea drug of choice! My husband found domperidone useless as well. When did you have your last chemo? Being sick is horrible, hope it gets resolved soon xx

@mini mad wrote:

Hi Alvilajo and Ruby ,

have either of you or any other followers on this thread taken Ondansetron for nausea/vomiting ?

mini mad xx 💖💖

Hi Alvilajo and Ruby ,

mini mad xx 💖💖

Thank you doesn't look like there is one near me, nearest London.

@Chicken81 wrote:

https://www.maggiescentres.org/how-maggies-can-help/help-available/practical-support/look-good-feel-...

Link
Here is the link to the website. 

You find your local centre and call up and book. 

That's it. 

Hope you have a centre close by. 

@Alvilajo wrote:

How do you book onto the maggies day?

hope u feel better soon ruby, I start placlitaxel in 4 weeks, bit nervous about it and the new side effects it may bring. Do you still have the injections on it?

enjoy your night away xx

https://www.maggiescentres.org/how-maggies-can-help/help-available/practical-support/look-good-feel-...

Link
Here is the link to the website. 

You find your local centre and call up and book. 

That's it. 

Hope you have a centre close by. 

@Alvilajo wrote:

hope u feel better soon ruby, I start placlitaxel in 4 weeks, bit nervous about it and the new side effects it may bring. Do you still have the injections on it?

enjoy your night away xx

Absolutely Ruby.. BIG HUGS   Xx

Hi Minimad, yes I have numb and tingling toes and fingers, feet sometimes feel like I have been walking on nettles! Unpleasant but not agony! I am using udder cream with urea. It’s helpful.

I had a severe allergic reaction to paclitaxel, Nab paclitaxel is nano paclitaxel but in a human albumin base rather than solvent. Bone pain in back is quite

grim today but painkillers helping. I have just ordered a stool to perch on in the kitchen as have noticed feet much worse when I am standing for a while! Where there is a will there’s a way right? 😊

Ruby xx

@mini mad wrote:

Hi Ruby,

sorry to read its been a bit grim for you recently.

i posted to you a few days back, perhaps its disappeared also.

yes i also have bad bone/muscle pain especially in my knees 😖😖

you mentioned your feet...  did you get tingling in your toes ??

see you are now on 75% nab paclitaxel...  is this different to just paclitaxel ??

hoping you are coping and everybody else out there this weekend..  mini mad xx 💖💖

Hi Daisydi

I am so pleased to have read your post - I have my appointment with oncology on Monday and expect that I will be FEC-T as triple negative.  I so want to try and keep my hair (thick and coarse as it is) so have had it cut quite short.  Well done for doing so well with yours.  xx

Hi Ruby,

sorry to read its been a bit grim for you recently.

i posted to you a few days back, perhaps its disappeared also.

yes i also have bad bone/muscle pain especially in my knees 😖😖

you mentioned your feet...  did you get tingling in your toes ??

see you are now on 75% nab paclitaxel...  is this different to just paclitaxel ??

hoping you are coping and everybody else out there this weekend..  mini mad xx 💖💖

enjoy your night away xx

Hello everyone!

loving the brow and lashes, looking fabulous!

i posted a couple of days ago but it’s vanished! I had a grim few days at the start of the week, weak as a kitten and lots of bone pain. My liver is creaking (not wine related, I did check!) I am now on 75% nab paclitaxel and very tired and I have hand foot syndrome, hot, burning feet, hoping it will ease soon! I am keeping a close eye on it.

have booked a night away Sunday and a nice restaurant, got to make the most of any break you get.

hope you are all as well as you can be xx

Highlighted

Wow they look fab xx

@Chicken81 wrote:

Here are the links. 

Lashes

Lash link

Brows 

Brow pen link

Before and After for you

glad to be of help - the lashes are a uk based company - I ordered Tues and they came Thurs. I paid about £29 for them -but they are worth it for the amount of uses I will get and next time I wont need the whole start pack and just buy the actual lashes for £15 - which is not much more than the glue versions I previously have bought from Asda and Boots.

The eye brow pen is a UK company but they ship their items from China - so the pen took about 8 days to come.

Im red faced now from the steroids and feel tired and not sickly as yet - so last EC seems so far so good. Ive took Senokot for two days and had bowel movement like normal - never going to have that trouble again as that was not good - Senokot for a few days before and after really helps, Im told it is the anti sickness that makes you constipated.

You look fantastic Chicken! You must be really pleased 🤗. Thank you for the links. Atm I still have eyebrows and eyelashes but will save that link as my time will come...

So pleased things are progressing ok with your chemo. I had a mastectomy prior to my chemo so happy to offer advice to anyone if they have yet to have their op when the time comes. Hope chemo goes ok today. 

Have enjoyed a lovely break and head back today to get my bloods done for my last EC on Monday. Not looking forward to it really 😬 but will then be half way there too 🎉🎉🎉

I’ll check with my oncologist regarding genetic testing as my mum had Fallopian tube cancer. I’m pretty sure my surgeon told me my cancer wasn’t a genetic cancer. However it doesn’t mean I’m not a carrier I suppose. 

I hope everyone one of you lovely ladies is doing okay and sending you all positive vibes 🙏✨💖