Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 2020 chemo starters

ttyler
Community Champion

Re: June 2020 chemo starters

Hi Cubot,

I bet you are disappointed, think I would be too and you have been feeling so well. Hopefully with the extra week you will be stronger to go again.

It’s raining here all day today too. My husband cleans windows as a job and he has been unable to go out. He is taking care of me but think he is climbing the walls because I am okay and he can’t get out lol.

The chocolate sounds good. I’d definitely be up for that!

I have a wig a real hair one my hair dresser is cutting it for me at the moment. I can send you a pic of that if you like and what my hair looks like now, it has not fallen out yet though so have not had to wear it don’t think it will be long though because my head is so sore and itchy.

Meant to ask you ladies, my skin has become greasy and spotty, any ideas on what I can do to dry my skin out a little.

Hope everyone is okay

Tara xx

cubot

Hi ladies

Hope everyone's chemo went well today, especially the first timers 😊 I ended up not having mine as when I got to the hospital they took my blood again (I had a blood test on Tuesday and it showed low neutrophil and white blood cell levels) and my levels were still too low. The nurses said not to worry and this isn't unusual - lots of people have at least one session where their chemo is delayed for this reason, but it was a bit of a shock because I thought I was doing well.

I never thought I'd be disappointed not to have chemo but I have to wait another week now for my levels to go up and of course that makes my 'end date' a week further away. 

So that, plus the weather (it's raining cats and dogs here!) has made me feel a bit low today. On the plus side I did google 'how to raise neutrophil levels' and found a study that says dark chocolate has a positive effect so will be self-medicating that way 🤣 (medical disclaimer, the nurses said there's nothing I can do so this is purely an excuse to eat chocolate!).

Anyway thought I'd share because once again I've been forcibly reminded to expect the unexpected, which seems a pretty good rationale for getting through this. 

xxx

PS If anyone wants to share wig photos (appreciate you might not want to share them of you wearing them of course) I'd love to see, when yours arrive! I wasn't going to get a wig but now I'm tempted!

ttyler
Community Champion

Hi Ladies,

welcome to Plumblossom and good luck for today. I had FEC last Thursday and it wasn’t too bad at all. Just drink plenty before and after to get that chemo flushed through! 

Funnily enough Ann I am waiting on a grey/silver wig. It is the most popular colour at the moment I’ve heard too. We will all be okay if our hair comes back through grey won’t we?lol 😝   

How’s the weather today for you all? It is hammering it down here but there is a lovely cool breeze coming through the lounge window. Just what is needed because I have been so stuffy and hot the last couple of days. 

Hope everyone is okay and today goes well. Remember we are all here if you need us.

Tara xxx

ann has cancer

My wig has been ages in coming as grey wigs are the most popular colour, isn't that bizarre.

Tabs

Good luck tomorrow Plumblossom. I'm 10 days in and felt really relieved once I'd actually started the chemo. I'm looking forward to getting through the first cycle so that I'll hopefully have a rough idea of the pattern for future cycles. Good luck (and keep drinking plenty of water). Tabs

lam477

hi plumblossom and welcome, I’m not normally one for forums but everyone in here is so supportive and it’s great to be able to talk so openly, it’s sometimes hard with family and friends as I tend to put a brave face on and not worry them all.  
good luck for tomorrow.  
thank you everyone for the well wishes for tomorrow xx

Horseylass

Good Luck Plumblossom. I hope it’s ok for you. xx

lam, no I hadn’t planned to drive to my actual chemo appointment just to the other two that I have before. However as we live an hour and a half from the hospital I think 3 hrs diving is going to be too much. I had my op a month ago too. I think part of the problem is that our roads are so twisty it’s a lot of gear changes and steering so worked my left arm a bit more than I’ve been used to. One of the other things was the seatbelt rubbing, I need to get one of those soft seatbelt covers. 

Plumblossom

Hi Cubot, 

Thanks for your support and good words, these are what we need in this strange time! 😘 xx

cubot

Tara, yes I looked into donating my hair. They weren't accepting donations at the time I was looking due to COVID (though they are now!) and as I didn't cut it off all in one go when clean it would have been very complicated to detangle! If I'd not used the cold cap I would I think have done it, having said that it's still quite hard to commit to the chop in advance so I'm not sure. Plus I'm quite grey and I'm not sure there's enough brown left in it 🤣 I wouldn't want to give anyone the task of picking out all the grey strands! If anyone else has long hair and is thinking about it here's the website https://www.littleprincesses.org.uk/

cubot

Hey Plumblossom (pretty name!) and welcome! You will be in great hands, my chemo nurses were outstanding 🙂 Hope all goes well, just take it as it comes (such a cliche, but true!). xxx

Plumblossom

Hi everyone,

I’m new here, just wanting to let you know that I’m so pleased to see so much positivity in this forum.

I’m starting chemo tomorrow morning. FECx3; Tx3. Feeling a bit nervous but I know I’m in good hands. 

To all of you, the June Starters, I wish you all the best! 😊

ttyler
Community Champion

Hi Lam,

Good luck for tomorrow . Remember we will all be there with you.

You too Cubot hope all goes okay. You will have to let us know how it is and if you feel any different from last time.

My hair has not fallen out yet but it is dead sore at the roots. Don’t think it will be too long. Were you able to save your hair Cubot as you could have sent it to be used for wigs for children with cancer. Mind you may not be able to use it now you have already had one chemo.

Sleep well ladies!

Tara xx

lam477

Thank you horseylass, good luck for Tuesday.  I was told by the nurses not to drive myself as your blood alcohol levels can be over the legal limit for driving.  When did you have your operation done? Sorry you probably have said.  I didn’t drive for 4 weeks following mine as it keep pulling on the scar.  It’s not easy but enjoy letting other people do things for you, well that’s what I was told.

xx

Horseylass

Good luck lam, tomorrow. I have my first one on Tuesday. Hospital tomorrow to see the oncologist and then pre appointment on Monday. I tried driving today to see if I’d be able to drive myself unfortunately I’m really quite sore and stiff from that so my husband will have to spend a few hours in the hospital car park over the next few days! It’s annoying but I guess I have to get used to having to have stuff done for me. I thought I had good movement coming back in my arm and shoulder but having used it for half an hour I realise I have a way to go. 

I got some of their hats too, they’re a lot more reasonable than some of the other places I’ve found. 

Good luck Cubot too, I’m glad it isn’t as daunting after the first one. 

I hope everyone else is ok. x

lam477

Thank you Cubot I’m so nervous about tomorrow.  Sorry to hear about your hair I’m dreading it.  I’ve ordered some beanie hats from hats4heads they should be here in the next couple of days, they were so reasonable with the prices, I think I’ve ordered 5 plus a sleeping one and it was only just under £40.

good luck tomorrow with your second round and also to anyone else have a round this week xx

cubot

And lam477 thinking of you too! I was so nervous before first chemo, definitely much more relaxed about this one. xxx

cubot

My hair is pretty much all gone now (I have my second round of FEC tomorrow) - I used the cold cap but didn't work for me. My mum cut it off into a very short bob today - first new hairstyle for 22 years so I'm aiming to embrace the change - got quite excited thinking about the different styles I can try out when it starts growing again! It was definitely a shock when it started coming out, especially as I'd kept my length (way past my shoulders) in case the cold cap worked, but now I'm a bit relieved I don't have to deal with it on the days when I'm feeling rubbish.

I've been using regular summer scarves to cover up my remaining wisps but just ordered some cheap vintage silk ones from Etsy which I'm looking forward to arriving. I used this video tutorial https://thewrap.life/blogs/tutorials/beginners-go-to to help work out how to tie the scarf and keep it on my head, it's quite dramatic (!) but there are some other less funky ones if you don't want a big bobble at the front of your head 😄 I also treated myself to a fitted turban: https://www.suburbanturban.com/infinity-band-kimmy-chemo-hat-set.html 

Whoever said they'd go mad if they stayed indoors all the time - I'm with you on that! I go out most days for a short walk with my mum - I did have to shout "please stay further away I'm critically vulnerable" at a couple who got too close but they were very nice about it and stayed away (I think they were quite confused 🤣)

Hope everyone's doing OK - Butler10 thinking of you tomorrow as I'll be having my second chemo too.

xxx

lam477

Thank you both I will have a look, I’m the same with hats ect think it may be a bit warm in the summer with a woolly hat on xx 

Butler10

Horseylass  I got a couple of there. They didnt take long to get them either.

Horseylass

I’ve had a look on heads4hats they’ve got some nice ones and not too pricey. I’m not a big fan of hats apart from my woolly ones that I wear all winter for work. Harder in summer though. 

lam477

Thanks for the advice re sickness I know we don’t always force ourselves to eat when we feel sick but I suppose little and often.

i had my lump removed middle of April and starting chemo Thursday, I think by the sounds of it everyone is different.  

I had my chemotherapy talk today so got to ask all the questions I had so it’s put y mind at ease slightly although still really nervous.  

cancer hair care called me yesterday as well and they are sending me some eye lashes along with the doll.  My children are slightly older, 14 and 10 but my 10 year old has autism and I know he will appreciate the doll to explain things.

I want to look at getting a head scarf can anyone suggest where to go or what to get as don’t want to look like I’m playing a gangster with a bandana on 

xx

ann has cancer

Surgery is 4 months off for me so no idea.  

ttyler
Community Champion

Hi Ann,

Thanks for the advice on sickness. I was feeling a little nauseous this morning but okay now. I think it is getting used to our bodies again. I now know that having a little to eat helps with the sick feeling even if I don’t think I’m hungry.

Do you know what type of surgery you are going to be having? You may have already said and if you have I am sorry just sometimes have trouble remembering what people have told me lol 😝  

I had a phone call from cancer hair care yesterday. The lady was very nice, she is going to send some eye lashes and a woollen doll. It shows children how your hair will come out. This I thought would be ideal for my 7 year old, he can take charge of that and will be able to explain the process to family and friends when lock down is over. I thought it would help with his Aspergers. The team are helping people all over the country at the moment which is good.

The weather here is warm today however I think a storm may be coming!

Hope everyone is feeling okay today 

Tara xx

ann has cancer

Hi Cecilia sorry you are having such a bad time, if it helps I had sickness from my first treatment closely followed by an upset tum which was partly caused by overeating and the wrong food, probably won't learn but here's hoping.  Hope you are feeling a little better now.  

ann has cancer

Funny you should say that Tara, I'm on chemo first and op second, I had a problem feeling so well knowing  that chemo would make me feel sick.  I think you are on EC with me and I didn't feel worse after the second course, will let you know how the third course goes.  Keep smiling, this website gives me so much support, please all share if you feel you can.

ttyler
Community Champion

Hi everyone,

sorry not replied much, been busy today with home schooling lol.

I am sorry to hear that your second infusion was not nice. Hope you start to feel better soon.

I am on 3 weekly infusions, but it looks like some people are on weekly ones is that right?

I said to my husband just. I know I have had cancer and they have taken it out which is good but having chemo makes you feel ill and you realise you have cancer if you get what I mean? I have not felt ill until now.

I heard the further along you go the worse it gets and I am dreading that to be honest. Oh sorry on a proper downer at the moment fed up already and only had the one infusion.

Hope everyone else has had a good day and do not feel too unwell.

Tara xxx

Butler10

Cecilia Sorry to hear you was poorly   iv got my second chemo on Thursday   so fingers crossed I dont get stomache cramps that's the one think I hate.  Hope your feeling better now thou.

cecilia

My hair started falling out a few days ago 

so got the hubby to shave all it

im going to hop out hats instead of wigs 

😘it’s not just hair your head that comes off that was the biggest shock😳

I was in bad way last week after my second infusion 

terrible cramps and plenty of visits to the loo

hope everyone is well 

take care 

for anyone that is talking about holiday 

my doctor told right at the beginning not to book any Foreign holiday this year 

ann has cancer

Hi Tabs, I had me second cycle of EC last Friday and my hair started going yesterday, not good news but better to be prepared.  Not sure if I will be brave enough to put a photo up, will let you know how I get on.

ann has cancer

My hair started going last night but hoping my wig will be here on Wednesday and will be getting a zoom on-line fitting.  I have also watched the looks good feeling better video's which show how to draw in eye brows etc and cancer hair loss are sending me some false eyelashes and a hat that I can wear in bed to keep my head warm.  Whilst I hope this does not happen to all of you hopefully you can get prepared, I asked my chemo nurses to check how likely mine was to go and the answer pretty definite, they were right.

Tabs

(got cut off again) was long to say with my boyfriend in the dappled sunshine and it was lovely. We did a codeword and had coffee (I had some small squares of very dark chocolate too just to keep me going). Anyway, it was lovely. I've been told I'm meant to stay inside and completely shield but I think I'd go mad. I wore a mask and avoided people so will hopefully be OK. I hope you have all had nice mornings as well xx

Tabs

• Am being inept, is there a maximum number of characters I can post in one go? It wouldn't let me type any more after a certain point. Also, am being thick, I can't work out how to start a new thread under the June starters, only a reply so apologies in advance if you get a seemingly unconnected response. Am on day 8 of my first EC cycle and for those of you not there yet, I just wanted to let you know that days 7 and 8 have been much nicer to me than days 4-6. I'm a bit wary as this is my low white count week but I went for a gentle walk this morning and sat down under a breezy tree with
Tabs

Hi Lam, 

I think it's the E of EC or FEC that isn't great for hair. We may get lucky but I've tried to manage my expectations by assuming I'll lose all of it. Having had long blonde hair since I started secondary school, I'm just trying to enjoy the novelty of short hair and then wigs/scarves/drawn on eyebrows. I'm sure there'll will be days where I feel rubbish (the weight gain hasn't been great). I think I'm lucky though my boys are 15 and just turned 18 so know what's going on. I can't imagine what it must be like to go through with younger children. 

lam477

apologies now Ann as I can babble on, at least you can all ignore me unlike my family who have to listen to me non stop haha.  
Tara all of this certainly does put things into perspective for us doesn’t it, definitely start living life and enjoying it.

Im dreading when I start to lose my hair, sorry if this is a daft question, does everyone lose their hair? I don’t know if it depends on the combination of drugs you are given.  You’ve probably all said what you’re having but I’m useless at keeping up, I’m having FEC and what I’ve read it’s almost certain you will lose it.  Does anyone know any different? 

xx

ttyler
Community Champion

I love the Disney characters too, however have not been to Disney land yet. Will definitely save to go. Time to start living a bit now I think. You just don’t realise what is important sometimes do you?

Morning Ann hope you are and feeling okay? 
 I love to chat but please do let me know if I start to bore you, I really don’t mean too. It’s lovely to hear from you too, we can all get through this together I know we can.

I’m just trying to do something with my hair. It has gone a bit like Barbie doll hair. Have washed it and are letting it dry in it’s own, it’s refreshing actually. Keep brushing it gently too as someone else mentioned to keep it’s untangled. I tend to forget who has mentioned what sorry about that.

Hope you all have a nice day.

Tara xx

lam477

Hi Tara 

sugar is lovely 😊.  I’d happily let Enzo sleep on the bed but he comes up for a cuddle then back into the floor for the night.  Sounds like we have a good pair of husbands doing these jobs and we obviously make good supervisors 😂. Hopefully the weather picks back up so we can enjoy the gardens.

ive heard that about the Santa’s and I think I will be more excited than the kids, I was the one who got excited and cried at the parades when we went to Disney Florida. 

hope everyone else is well xx 

ann has cancer

Love reading it all please keep it coming

ttyler
Community Champion

image.jpg

Hi lam,

funnily enough my husband had a mad job to get the garden done before my chemo started too. Last year was a bit mad, we were supposed to be buying our first home as we have always rented. It was a new build and the completion kept being delayed. Often wander if the stress of this caused the the C. Anyhow my mum brought a house near me as her partner died last year and she has very kindly had it renovated for us to live in, however my husband had the grande job of sorting the garden because it was like an o we grown secret garden. He started on the day of my surgery and was finished about 2 weeks ago. It is lovely. Good these mento is aren’t they? 

I have always wanted to go to New York in December apparently there is a Santa Claus on every corner. I bet your children will love it. Hope you get to go.

Love the picture of Enzo, he is gorgeous. My boxer dog Sugar always sleeps in bed with us much to my husbands horror. I waited a long time for her so she is like my baby. Like I said yesterday she had been sleeping with the boys but is all me now.

Hope everyone else is okay today, the sun is shining here and it looks like it will be a beautiful day. Enjoy! 

Tara xxx

lam477

F69195BF-BDE4-473F-BC4E-E7BF32138A1E.jpeg

 hopefully the picture loads ok but this is my little Enzo x

lam477

hello everyone sorry for the silence ive been busy supervising my husband on redoing the garden, I think he thought I would give him a rest now but I want everything sorted before I start my chemo (poor husband).  Glad you are all feeling ok.  Its nice to know youre not the only person going through this, as supportive as family and friends are they don't really understand, and if one more person tells me everything will be ok I'm going to scream haha.  I know everything  will be ok but they aren't the one going through it.  I was supposed to have my chemo nurse talk appointment yesterday - telephone call but no one called, I know I don't start until Thursday but my nerves are all over the place as Im sure many of yours are as well.  

Umm I think I will stick to water vomit juice doesn't sound appealing 😂😂

Yes it was me that's got a little puppy, well hes 10 months old, I got him a week ago his name is Enzo and hes a cross between a pug and a Pomeranian.  Hes lovely and my little shadow.  He is crate trained but the last two nights to my husbands horror Ive let him sleep where he likes and hes chosen my bedroom floor and theres been no little accidents during the night.

Im going to see how I feel about holidays, so far Ive cancelled July's and I think Im going to do the same for the September one.  As I said December is the one Im looking forward to as its took me years to convince the husband to go to New York and I know the kids are looking forward to it.

Sorry as you can see I can go on so I will give you all a rest for now haha.

Take care my lovely ladies and I hope you are all ok.  xxx

ann has cancer

Keep chatting, lovely to hear.

ttyler
Community Champion

Hi,

My dog surprisingly has not left me alone. From Christmas time she started not coming up to bed with my husband and I and preferred to sleep with the lads. It was as though she could smell the cancer. I thought after chemo she would be no where near me but seems to have had the opposite effect. On the day I was diagnosed the 20th March my youngest brought some chicks home from school they have them every Easter and go back to the farm when hatched if no knew will adopt them. We have 3 hens so are looking forward to them laying eggs now. They went outside about 4 weeks ago much to my 18 year old step sons delight as he was having to tend to them a few times a day when they were babies.

I do feel cheery thanks Ann. Even managed to do my challenge and dance through Momma Mia with my boys for the first time today. I work in year 3 at my children’s school my oldest is in year 4 we do this using in music across the stage. The children in my class and I made up a dance to the song before lockdown and I have promised my colleagues that I will try and dance my way through the song to keep me going through chemo. My youngest moves into year 3 in September so not sure where I will be when I go back but I have taught him the dance too 😝. Mind you having bc has seriously made me consider my career and made me think I may want to do something else. A challenge to get my kind going. Plenty of time for that though. Sorry for rambling on I like to talk a lot as I’m sure you ladies can tell!

Sorry to hear about the physio appointment they did not seem very helpful. Mind you I have found some people like that in my journey so far. Some people you click with some I am wary of and not sure I trust their opinion or it seems like that are not bothered. The virus seems to help them not bother too much either.

Glad people are generally feeling okay and good luck to those ladies having chemo next week.

much love 

Tara 😘 

Horseylass

Hi Tara 

Glad you’re feeling more yourself. Interesting about your taste buds too.

i think it’s lam477 who has a new puppy. I’d love one but with 2 dogs, one who was a nightmare puppy, I think we have enough. Especially with all our other animals! 

Cubot my physio appointment was ok, she did give me a few pointers regarding the breast exercises but it did feel a bit like she was ticking a box to say I’d been dealt with! She asked very little and talked at me quite a lot! I’m glad I didn’t have to do an hour and a half drive just for that anyway! 

Hope all goes well for you on 18th Butler10. I have an appointment with the oncologist then and start my chemo on 23rd. 

I hope everyone else is ok. xx

ann has cancer

Hi Tara nice to hear you sounding cheery, yes I'm sure someone said they had be given a dog but not me, we already have 2.

Keep smiling

Butler10

Hi Iam477  I have a picc line had it put in day before chemo started  took about a week to get used to it but it fine now  I have to go to picc clinic every week to get it flushed out and to change the dressing   I have my second round of chemo on the 18th .  Hope every think go's ok for you.x

ttyler
Community Champion

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all okay?, I am feeling a lot more like myself today, which is good.

I’m sure someone said that their OH has brought them a puppy, although I could if imagined it with my chemo brain. If anyone did get a dog, how lovely and what type did you get?

I don’t know about anyone else but chemo has reaped havoc with my taste buds. I am usually a sweet person but seem to have turned savoury 😝  

I only like to drink plain water. Seem to have gone off my squash. Never mind!

I hope everyone has a lovely day and ya feeling okay.

Tara xx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Tara vomit squash 😂😂😂 autocorrect gremlins out and about on the threads again 😂😂💕💕Shi xx

cubot

Hello everyone, catching up after a few days!

Tara - was thinking of you yesterday so glad it went well. That's nice you were able to chat, at mine we were too spaced out to do that without yelling! I also got really hot at night the first few nights but it passed, hopefully it will for you quickly too. 

Tabs - I had the same advice about brushing hair with the cold cap. Mine's recently started coming out (day 15 for me) and I can see why as if it got all tangled up it would be a nightmare to untangle! So far no bald spots and it doesn't look any thinner, so cross fingers it won't shed too much more. Other bits of me started shedding a few days ago too but I'll draw a discreet veil over where 🤣

Ann - fab news about tumour shrinkage! So pleased for you 🤗

lam477 - was thinking about a holiday in October in the UK but thought it was just too risky to book ahead given that COVID might still be around, as I'll only just have finished chemo. Having said that I'm quite cautious and, like Horseylass, looking forward to 2021! I would go with what your hospital team say. Also I have my second chemo on 18th so will be thinking of you when you start yours the same day.

Horseylass - how did the physio phone appt go? I had a prosthesis consultation over the phone which was a disaster (external company, not NHS), so I'm now going to go in for an in person appointment at with the specialist nurse at some point in the next month or so.

Have a good weekend ladies! xx

ttyler
Community Champion

Hi again,

sorry just catching up with posts.

We are due to go to Blackpool to stay in my fiends BandB the end of August. We go every year so if we are able to will still go there as it should fall in my good week if all goes to plan. The whole family rent out the whole hotel.

In regards to the holiday I had booked to Egypt for April next year I cancelled this purely because we needed to money as my sick pay is only for 4 months and did not want the kids to go without nice birthday pressies etc and we renewed our wedding vows in Dominican Republic last year that took most of our savings, however  I have got a large plastic cola bottle that I have been saving change in and have about £250 in there already. Also at the hospital I go to a lady rents out holiday homes In summerset and Worcestershire. I think you just donate an amount that goes towards cancer research. I have her number as campsites are due to open on the 1st July again so I am told.

I would speak to your team and see what they say but as long as it is safe to do so I would probably go. We only live once!

i am sorry your husband has to sit in the car that must be a nightmare. Tell him to take something to read or watch (Netflix) in his phone if it were my OH and some snacks as he may be there a while for your first time. 

Hope I have not missed anyone out. I find it hard typing on the phone as it makes me feel a little sickly.

Much love 

Tara 💕 

ttyler
Community Champion

Oh no, I didn’t have vomit squash I had vimto squash! Xx