June 2021 Chemo Starters

Hi 

This thread is for anyone due to start chemotherapy this month.  I’m sure others will be here soon but please introduce yourself and you can all help one another through this phase of your treatment.  If you have any questions please post away on here and others in the community will watch over you whilst you are getting started.  Once you are into it you’ll be pretty good at helping each other.  You can also ask the nurses on this forum if you have any concerns.  In the meantime, the top tip is always to stay well hydrated throughout chemo, aiming for 2 litres of water per day and get a thermometer and check your temperature every day.

Here is the BCN guide on chemo:

breastcancernow.org/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment-breast-…

Here are some apps which can help to keep you on track: 

breastcancernow.org/information-support/support-you/becca

nhs.uk/apps-library/owise-breast-cancer/

careology.health/

I finished my chemo in October 2017 and doing very well again now.  Here is my story which has some chemo tips on how I coped which were collectively shared from others who had gone through the same from this forum:

lifeafterlola.com/

If you decide to set up a private group its good to stay on here also during treatment as I know from experience there are some people who watch but don’t immediately pluck up the courage to join in.  Your conversations can be a real comfort to others.

If you’re new to the forum, here’s the “Getting Started” advice:

forum.breastcancernow.org/t5/How-to-get-started/bd-p/welcomegetstarted

Hi there, 

I have my first oncology appt on 3rd June so should be starting chemotherapy shortly afterwards. I’m 37 and was diagnosed in Feb. Had a lumpectomy, followed by axillary clearance as it was found in my sentinel node. I also made the decision to complete Breast Cancer Now’s 100 miles in May while I was waiting for oncology - 78 miles down! Xx

@Mai7  

Just want to say thanks for setting up the June group and including all the links.  I think the apps could be very useful.

xx

Hi I start my chemo on 11th after being diagnosed triple negative. I had lumpectomy and SNLB luckily that is clear. 

Hi, here I am joining you lovely people!  I had a mastectomy on 28 April and have my first meeting with the oncology consultant on Monday (Well I did!  They are still waiting on HER2 results so its been put back another two weeks ). I have had lots of help and support so far but to be part of a group going through it will really help too. I am trying to find the balance between being prepared for what is to come (without scaring me) and just dealing with it (but worry doing that means missing out on advice/help by not educating myself enough).  The apps look good so I have downloaded two of them.  I already use one for peri-menopause and was going to use that, however this looks even better. Be kind to yourselves folks x

Hi Ladies

I had my 1st EC today. All went well no issues apart from starring of a headache before meds went in think that was from wearing mask and just being overloaded with information. Nurses were all very helpful and lovely I had tea, a sandwich and biscuits given to me whilst there. Nurse sat with me whilst the first meds went in.

Since being home I’ve had something to eat and drink and headache no better so just laying on settee.

Whilst there 2 ladies got to ring the bell which was very moving. 

I’ve now got cocktail of drugs including 7 days of stomach injections (great). My next session is 2nd July.

Wishing you all a good weekend in the sun and those starting chemo next week lots of love.

Louise xx

Hi everyone, 

I’ve just seen that this forum is here and thought I’d say hi. 

I’m 37, have er+ her2- breast cancer and started chemotherapy on 29 June. My tumour is quite large and has started to spread to my lymph nodes so I’m having chemo before surgery. 

I had my second round of EC chemo last Tuesday. The first time round I got neutropenic sepsis, so am bit nervous this time! The nausea both times has been quite bad but I’ve managed it with tablets. The gastro side effects haven’t been fun either! I keep thinking there’s something wrong with me though - I see/read about these people who are going through chemo and are running, working etc - basically being superwoman - and I feel like I’m doing something wrong! I’m fortunate enough not to have to go to work - I homeschool my sons and work part time. Plus family and friends have been amazing and cooked for us and mum has helped clean. So I look at these other people and think, am I letting cancer beat me cos I’m resting so much?? Am I doing something wrong?