cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 2021 Chemo Starters

Fairie

Re: June 2021 Chemo Starters

Hi Impatience 
Glad you are in your normal phase. Enjoy it lovely and I hope to be there too in next day or so and hope the sun shines for us all soon xxx

Fairie

Well done Kim x

i was with you in thought yesterday x

i hope you have a gentle week, both of you. It’s so tough for the men who watch us go through this and feel helpless at times. 

I am exactly 7 days from my first treatment today/ tomorrow as was over two days and have just rested and bathed and rested and eaten little and often. I learned not to go too long without something to eat as I felt horrid so eat regularly albeit it small. 
Sending healing love and wishes xx

Fairie

We were the same years ago x

it’s hard for the chaps too to sit around. Xxx

Fairie

Louise hi x

Just to say I too have sore groin, under boob, under arm and around back passage soreness.. 🤦‍♀️ Sorry girls for the image there!

I spoke to GP having spoken with my oncology team and I have a cream prescribed to use as a soap but also treat the itchy /sore situation.

it feels like any covered up areas of skin especially intimate areas of my body have become a bit weepy /sore /itchy .
It’s called BALNEUM plus cream .
I’m also on an antibiotic now as felt the very early stage of stingy wee!

my love to you ALL  XXX

Louise65

@GonnaGetThruThis 

Glad all went well 1st day now ticked off. You were so lucky to have hubby there I wish my partner had been allowed there is so much to take in on 1st day I think it would help massively. My partner had to go walking round Lincoln for 4 hours as its too far to go home. 

Well done on cold cap hope your head feels OK today. I'm day 12 and the top of my head now feels uncomfortable to touch. 

I'm feeling so much better Friday obviously was my mountain peak day, I'm now getting more energy each day back down the bottom. Odd heartburn, no nausea but do have terrible sore rash under boobs and groin. 

Got friend from work coming today, brother is bringing dad for couple hours Thursday they live 2 hour drive away and son is coming Friday. I haven't seen anyone for 3 weeks so I'm excited lol. 

Hope you all doing OK.

Love and support Louise xx

Trowster

Kim, I’m so glad Day one has been ok for you, and really pleased they let your hubby be with you, I’m hoping mine will be allowed in with me on Friday, I don’t like that he could be sat in the car for hrs, as I know he won’t go home n then return when I phone him, he came with me to every appointment 13 yrs ago, I hope you both get a goods nights sleep tonight and you have a good day tomorrow x

GonnaGetThruThis

@Impatiencethat is 'great' news in the circumstances and i really hope that i can be like that.

So Day 1 is over for me so yay.  It was a long day but that was to be expected as it was the first day and also I had the picc line fitted first which took 2.5 hours from the time we arrived till we left there to go to the C ward.  Longest part was waiting first thing to get it put in as there was someone else in before me.

Treatment was fine and also quite quick.  She said I may feel some sinus pain for a moment but I didn't.  One of them makes the wee red and yes it did after I'd had my first wee.

I have tried the cold cap and it was hard core and tough.  Basically i could feel my head was frozen for 3 hours. It was such a relief to take off. I had to get her to move it a few times or else I wouldn't have been able to keep it on.  It came him waves that it was painful then ok.  She recomended a head band next tine and did put some gauze on my forehead which helped.  2 others were having it at the same time as me.  Let's hope it works to at least some degree.  Can definitely see why people don't try or persevere as it was a long time and not pleasant at all.

Best thing was my husband stayed the whole time as they made an exception for the first time.  He was able to see what happened at each stage and when she discussed the medication i have to take and when etc.  I have 3 days of steroids to take breakfast and lunch starting tomorrow then the day after I also start 7 days of daily injections.  Also have the mouth wash and some more anto nausea to take if i need.

Very tired right now but that is more than likely cause we awoke at 5.30am for some stupid reason.  I wasn't even feeling anxious or nervous but maybe it was super subconscious. Husband did as well and is also as tired as me .  Hoping for a good sleep tonight and see what tomorrow brings.  Time for bed now though. 

Hope everyone else is doing well.  Take care, love Kim x

Impatience

Hi everyone

I haven’t posted for a while but I’ve been following the thread  I’m pleased to hear everyone is getting through this and many of us are feeling better  

I am on day 11 of EC1 and it feels like I’m back to my normal self  My only side effect is my hair which is lifeless  

In terms of sickness I was told the anti sickness tablet stops it in its tracks  I’ve hung on to this thought and taken just one pill with breakfast and it has worked so far  

Sending good wishes to those of you yet to start your treatment  

I can honestly say days 1-3 I felt yuk but not poorly. Days 4-8 slightly sore gums and tired but day 8 to now I feel fine  

I know we all have different drugs and can react differently but just wanted to share my experience for anyone who has just started/about to start  

Impatience x

Trowster

Kim I hope today wasn’t too bad for you and I hope the next few days go well, 

Sharon, I’m so pleased to hear you’ve had no sickness compared to the last time, I’m so anxious of being as sick as I was 13 years ago, your post has made me feel slightly better, 

Fairie

Dear Kim

i am with you in thought today.

You will be so looked after today. 
Since my first treatment last week I have made sure I have rested as much as possible and taken the meds prescribed as advised. No sickness at all which is amazing compared to my first BC 14 years ago. In 2021 treatment and symptom management has come so far for the better.

You have done your bit in all the prep you have done for today and all you now need to do is turn up and breathe and allow the experts of your treatment to do what your body needs. You are the expert of yourself as only you know how you feel, so let them know how you feel throughout the day and in the days after too... via your 24 hour team..

I think the secret to the cold cap is getting through the first 5 minutes.. once you’ve got through those minutes things settle, and you will either decide you can carry on, or choose not to. If you choose not to it does NOT mean you have failed in any way! 

Sending huge positive thoughts to you and here if you need.. 

love Sharon x x x ((Fairie)

Louise65

@GonnaGetThruThis 

Good luck for tomorrow will be thinking of you. Xxx

hopeful1974

@GonnaGetThruThis All the very best for tomorrow. I’m sure that you’ll find that once you are there, the nurses will talk you through everything and you will be well looked after. My chemo days have always passed pretty quickly. Do post any questions you may have once you have had the chemo treatment. You’ll be fine! Siân xxx

hopeful1974

Hi @JessicaB I wish you all the best for your first chemo. Our hospital offers food but I preferred to take my own lunch so you might want to think about that. I have often taken a book but not ended up reading much of it as I usually get chatting to the person next to me! This time I was in for six hours so I listened to an audiobook on my phone which worked well. If you are cold-capping, you’ll need to have wet hair and some conditioner to put on it. Other than that, the nurses should explain everything to you. You’ll leave with a pack of meds to take when you get home. I’d make sure you know when to take them all as there are often quite a few of them! Siân xxx

GonnaGetThruThis

Hi @JessicaB sounds like you have had an ordeal aleady but good that things are moving along.  You and I will be in the same week, albeit me Monday (eek tomorrow) and you Friday.  I know what you mean about being in/out of the hospital as there have been so many appointments.  im lucky i work for myself and at home so it hasnt impacted me.  I'm also having the picc line and will have that inserted tomorrow morning before i have my first EC.
Totally agree with you and your new t-shirt.
I never thought to ask what others have taken in with them but so far in my backpack I've put the medical notes and booklet that they gave me at the pre-chemo assessment, my diary that I've been wriring in every day, a lovely small blanket my aunt from South Africa gave me for Christmas (incase i get cold from the cold cap), a couple of snacks (incase i dont fancy hospital food),  kindle, lip balm, mints, fruit pastilles (im sure i read someone mentioned about sucking/chewing something like this) and a water bottle.

JessicaB

Hi Everyone.  It's been a quite little while since my initial post.  I have been following your posts/comments/advice as a priority.  I really didn't think I would make a June starter given the faffing with my results, so I decided to take control and push back asking why my HER2 results were delayed, and as a result my oncology appointment.  Once I asked the question I was then offered an alternative appointment a week nearer - irrespective of results coming in.  In fact they were in and they were negative.  So I start chemo on Friday.  I had a plethora of appointments - I sort of see why some people don't work during the hiatus between surgery (mastectomy) and chemo now.  My mind is full.  Last week was five appointments including another CT scan, picc line insertion, picc line dressing change, echo and ECG and the dentist.  This week its bloods and COVID swab and I have my initial meeting and straight in to chemo on the same day, so any hints on what to take on the day and any preparation would be so gratefully received.  I am very bruised from the picc line insertion but it was better than expected and I am told with FEC-D its better to have it.  I bought myself a new teeshirt - a Little Miss Brave one because that is what we need to be 🙂  Thank you my lovely on line friends for listening.  Hopefully I can return the favour even if I can't offer advice yet. 

GonnaGetThruThis

@Louise65I am so SO HAPPY to hear you are feeling better, hopefully you are over the worst of it for this cycle and the next half will be better.

I am having a wobble today as i am finally starting to realise the enormity of what tomorrow will bring.  Practically I know exactly what will happen and all the things to expect and until now i've been relying on my knowledge and lists and keeping busy etc but i can already sense that tomorrow i will be overcome with emotions. I have again filled my day with practical stuff in preparation for tomorrow so have packed my hospital bag, prepped a few snacks, made my daughters lunch for school, got hers and my clothes all ready, done some shopping and some tidying up.  Nothing more to do i dont think apart from try to keep myself pre-occupied and try to get a good sleep before tomorrow.

We are up and out at 8am as we will drop our daughter to school and then head straight to the hospital. I'm getting the PICC line fitted first, they said to be there at 8:45, and then it will be straight to the chemo unit to see what happens on the first day.  I expect it will actually be a bit of a blur and pass quite quickly as there will be so much to learn and find out about.  I'm trying to cold cap so i know that is adding an extra hour each end, and of course they will have to go through all the supplemental meds they provide and which ones have to be taken and which ones are optional etc.   The nurse said maybe my husband can stay a little bit at the beginning as it is my first time so that will be great.  Then he will leave and work from home a bit.  Depending on the time i finish he will do the school run or the hospital run first! 

So ladies, if i dont post again before then, I'll see you on the other side of EC1.

In the meantime hope everyone else is feeling ok and you're looking forward to me really being on this journey with you all.

Take care all,

Kim x

hopeful1974

@Louise65 I’m so pleased to hear that you feel a bit better. It is great that you are able to eat small portions of foods you can stomach. Sending love and hugs. 

I have felt ok - more tired for the last couple of days - but I have always felt like that until I have finished the G-CSF injections. I just close my eyes when I need to and seem to be sleeping more at night than usual. I have had a bit of a headache and taken paracetamol for that. Overall, I have personally found the TCHP to be easier than EC. Siân xxx

Fairie

Hi Louise,

thank you for your helpful suggestions xX

Louise65

@Fairie 

Hi Ladies

Hope you all having as good a weekend as possible especially with the weather change.

Friday was a very fraught day but yesterday I felt I had got over the mountain top and the way down was easier. 

I managed couple short jobs although exhausting felt good. Plus I've managed to start eating and enjoying food in small portions.

Porridge with brown sugar sprinkled. Cheesy mashed potato, omelette. Drink wise I know I'm not drinking the amount I should  but I've always struggled with this, but have found chocolate milk goes down well. 

Love to all and especially those starting treatment next week. 

Louise x

GillyF

Hi there, heels to walking boots,

just dipped in to the forum because I’m having the same chemo as you 3 weekly EC followed by 9 x weekly Paclitaxel. I had my first EC 2 weeks ago and I cold capped. Not much shedding yet but I’m on Day 13 so expecting that to begin from now. We’re all different of course but if you have any questions, just ask.

Fairie

Hi Shi

i promise I will! No burning now but will if I feel the slightest twinge❤️
xxx

Trowster

Hi Heels

i’m also in Wales and starting next Friday but I am being treated at Glan ClwyD

I’m going for my pre assessment checks on Tuesday, it will be interesting to see what we are both on and if we will both have lines fitted or be treated by cannula, I feel like I’m getting more anxious as Friday looms closer, I just feel so dam good at the moment and don’t want this feeling to go away, I know it will return with time but it just makes me angry, I think the fact I have waited since my last Op on 9th April I just feel like I’m back to normal, but know I’m not if that makes any sense, have a lovely Fathers Day to everyone  and best of luck to everyone going forward, 

GonnaGetThruThis

@CoffeeFiend
Can I ask what treatment you had before the paclitaxel and how you found it 'compares' for side effects so far?    So glad you have a 'nice experience' so far iykwim.

simplyeve

@Heels to walking boots 

Have just read your post and wanted to let you know I too am receiving my treatment at the Maelor, I just want to reassure you that the staff are all lovely, very kind and caring and my journey this week has been better than I expected, yes there have been ups and downs but that is just trying to work out how your own body is responding to the treatment as we are all individual are we not?

Hope you managed to get your second covid jab and get to enjoy a lovely weekend, we too have a caravan, bought it in May, after having sold our last one in 2000!  It is a great way to be able to get away for short breaks and hopefully will help get us through the stresses of the next few months.  If you have any questions you'd like to ask please do.  Yvonne xx

GonnaGetThruThis

@Heels to walking bootsI also get what you mean about the waiting, although time does seem to be going quite quickly and there seems to be an occasion to have to go to the hospital every few days.  I had my first oncology app on Wed 9th, then on the monday had to go for ECG, then the Wed it was the pre-chemo assessment, then the Friday for a covid swab and here we are today, with only the weekend before it all starts on monday.  we have to go early now as they want to fit the picc line before treatment so i will go from 1 department to the other.  I have also busied myself with searching for and buying picc line covers (wet and dry), natural shampoo and conditioner and some pretty scarves.

We are on the similar journey and timeline as I will have 3 x EC starting Monday, followed by 12 x P.

Have a great weekend everyone x

CoffeeFiend

Hi @Heels to walking boots 

This kind of resonated for me. I did my second of 12 weekly paclitaxel yesterday. I found the the preparations for starting, with its tests and appointments and decisions to make, and chemo shopping, pretty stressful. Once I had my first session I felt much more relaxed about it. The nurses are great and will answer any questions you have and put you at ease. I found meeting other patients positive. There was a nice atmosphere at my unit. I was afraid of getting bad side effects but I called the helpline number they gave me when things happened that I was worried about and they were able to reassure me and monitored things that needed it by calling me back regularly. You won’t be alone with it. Once it gets started that horrible sense of limbo will fall away so try to park that feeling (easier said than done!) and enjoy your walks/cycling xx

Heels to walking boots

Hi All,

How are you all feeling? Hopefully you feeling a bit better today. Apologies for not mentioning people's names directly been off for a few days so catching up . Also, this is my first forum i have joined and i still getting to grips with responding etc. But i do read each every post and for those that have been struggling hope today is a little easier! 

I feel i am a bit of a no man's land at the moment as treatment is due to start next Friday so almost feels like it is not happening ...although every so often it comes crashing down and i just burst into tears. But seeing how you are all coping with this and lovely support of this group gives me great hope. It's a journey that way may have not chosen but we are all going to get through this....and each day brings us closer to this being over.

I think someone asked if i was in Wales--yes i am. Treatment is at the Maelor. I have recently moved to Wales being a London girl so getting to grips with the health system here....all i can say is that everyone has been brilliant and soo supportive.

I wish you all a safe and wonderful weekend, I am thinking of you all and sending my love❤️.  I am off my second covid jab trying to get that in before the EC starts and then having a few days off with my partner before it all starts out on the bikes in caravan -hopefully with some nice walks too.   Anabel aka Heels xxx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Fairie ❤️ You must ring your team, my wee burned but no temp and it was a uti and required antibiotics ❤️ Please always check with your teams, that’s what they want you to do. I know most people don’t want to be a bother or think they are over checking with their teams but chemo is not like usual and you must check anything with them, it helps them get you safely through ❤️ Remember they have seen it all before and are there to support you safely through ❤️💕💕😍Shi xx

Fairie

Dear Louise 

my heart goes out to you....

this will pass... 

I too am struggling today... shivery and then hot and not sure if weeing is or isn’t a bit burny. I feel like my head has the cold cap on it again and I have tossed and turned all night not knowing what or where to put self.

Glad you’ve spoken to your oncology team and they are supporting you. 

healing love to you and us all today and onwards... xxx Sharon (Fairie) 

hopeful1974

@GonnaGetThruThis That is my experience. The first week is usually the worst and then you feel a lot better again before the next one. 

hopeful1974

@GonnaGetThruThisThat is good advice re the food. The main thing is to stay strong and eat whatever you fancy. I started off trying to eat very healthily but lost weight quickly last time so this time I am eating whatever I think will keep my stomach happy. 

GonnaGetThruThis

@hopeful1974I've aso heard that EC is harder/worse/stronger than what comes next, which isn't the way I imagined it but it makes sense to blast it hard to start with. 

The oncology Dr said to me last week 'now isnt the time to start thinking about any fancy/special diets, you just eat and drink what you want and when you want and after then you can do whatever you like'.   I need to remind myself this isnt an open invitaiton to eat all the sweets but rather not get too stressed if we cant eat certain things like we used to.

GonnaGetThruThis

@Louise65 Oh no im sorry to read today has been a struggle.  Until now i have been in awe of both you and @Impatience seemingly getting through the first week without any 'major' side effects.  Take it easy and I really really hope that this passes soon.  Let us know how you are feeling later or over the weekend.

I have no idea whether right or wrong but in my mind the 3 week cycle is like a mountain with the first half  (10 days or so) is a struggle but in the second half you and your body is feeling better and recovering (all ready to face the next mountain.....)

Impatience

@Louise65 

I am really sorry to hear you are feeling rough. I can only echo others in the group who say food little and often and exactly what you fancy. I’m finding softer food more digestible and I’m putting warm milk on my breakfast cereal. This seems to help with my digestion and sore gums. 

I know we are all different but just in case it helps I take 30mg lansaprozole on waking then have breakfast half an hour after with an anti sickness pill 

I hope you have a better weekend and yes grab hold of one week done!  That’s an achievement to celebrate! 

Wishing everyone else a good weekend too. 

Imp. X

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Louise ❤️ Do keep eye on thrush mouth and if you get burning wee, both will need antibiotics from your team, always ring rapid response during chemo your team want you safely through and you being vigilant helps them ❤️ 💕💕Shi xx

hopeful1974

@Louise65 So sorry you’re not feeling great. I felt a lot worse when I was on EC than on my current regime. I found that eating little and often was good and I discovered what worked for me in terms of settling my stomach. I find that it is a bit like morning sickness - eating can often quell the nausea. I have learnt that I like dishes involving white rice quite a lot, with chicken and sauce. Lentil crisps seem to hit the spot too. A friend made me some lovely focaccia which really helped to spark my appetite too. When I couldn’t stomach much last time, I had Nourish drinks which I ordered online and are a good meal replacement. You can get something similar prescribed by the oncology dieticians if things get to that point. Keep trying different foods and see what works. Xxx

Louise65

Reaching out to you going through this ...... nightmare.

I called oncology early this morning as temp too low after long q&a consultant advised rest and stay home. Check temp every 4 hours and call if worsening.

Luckily my partner managed to get day off so not alone. I managed to get downstairs not long ago needed to stretch put kettle on then broke down as wanted to lay on settee and I just don't have the energy even for that. Back in bed just laying here I have a drink and fruit scone. 

Food and even drink are an issue as I just don't know what I want. 

This time last week I had just walked into the ward so my 1st week almost over.

I must say I did read the thread this morning whilst trying to pull out a chin hair and that at least did make me laugh. 

Love to all

Louise xx

Fairie

Do you know what I did?! I handed my body over to the team when I walked into the chemo unit. Like lovely Sian said, your body needs this treatment. That really helped me. 
our bodies do need this so that we have years of life ahead...

so if you can ‘ hand yourself in’! Hospital not the police!! And try and place your trust in the experts who know what they are doing and keep a very close eye on you. Promise! 
XXX Fairie 

Fairie

I can’t say enough about the difference this time! I hope you will be amazed as I am!

let us know?

xxx Fairie xxx

Fairie

Hi simply eve x

lovely to hear from you. 
the seven day injection is painless! I had my first last night and had prepared myself for it to hurt but it didn’t! Hubby did it and I asked if he’d actually done it!

I took a dip yesterday afternoon and I think it was because I hadn’t eaten little and often enough. I find a banana ginger honey and oat milk smoothie easy to drink and tasty and settled me. I then slept all afternoon and woke up more refreshed and had light supper of filleted fish n veg. 
mother root with ginger is refreshing too and lots of water to flush body. 

my GP has put everything I need including paracetamol, moisturising cream, lansoprazole 30 mg and 15 mg incase I need a bit more, plus extra difflam mouthwash on my prescription. I have an NHS exemption card which we are all entitled to! Do ask your GP to do this for you! Saves a fortune! 👏

anyway I’m off for bubbly bath n back into bed to watch This Morning!!

My love to you and us all in this group xxx Sharon (Fairie) xxx

Trowster

Thanks Hopeful for the tip for meds if I need to sleep, last time I used to be up cleaning at all hours of the night n used to make the hubby some lovely lunches to take to work, I never thought to ask for anything, I will this time, 

not sure yet if I will need a pic line maybe I will find out on Tuesday, I went for blood tests yesterday at my surgery and for the past 13 years the nurse has known not to use my left arm, so she was surprised yesterday when I told her things have changed, but she’s brilliant, first attempt straight in n not even a bruise, I wish I could take her with me to all appointments, I’m hoping I won’t need a pic line as someone told me I won’t be able to go cycling with one in, and as you know Cycling is my escape from reality, 

hope everyone has a lovely day today and a fantastic weekend, I’m seeing my foster daughter and her son today and a meal later to celebrate an early Father’s Day for hubby, sisters birthday BBQ on Saturday, and celebrating Fathers Day (Sunday) at my sister in laws with Hubby his brother and their Son in Law, 

hopeful1974

Hi @Trowster the steroids did interfere with my sleep when I was on four tablets at breakfast and lunch. I took my last ones at midday but still struggled to get to sleep so took Lorazepam which my oncologist was happy to prescribe me. It helped me last time round too. I just try to only use it on these days when I have the steroids, as it can become less effective if you use it over a long period. Might be worth asking if they will give you some? Siân xxx

hopeful1974

Hi @simplyeve, I adjusted how I eat when I last had some chemo in Feb/March. I found that I prefer softer foods with sauces rather than anything too dry or chewy. Yesterday, I had pasta bolognaise and fish pie. Breakfast was a protein shake and then a KIND bar (nuts with some chocolate). In the warmer weather, I have sometimes enjoyed my homemade ice lollies made out of strawberry and orange juice. I seemed to find last time that certain foods tasted different and I could no longer eat them but that hasn’t happened too much yet. I tend to eat three meals and a couple of snacks in between as it keeps my tummy happier and any mild nausea quickly disappears.

I have my last day of steroids today (it has been two tablets at breakfast and lunch since yesterday down from four at breakfast and lunch from Monday to Wednesday). I have been taking Lorazepam to counteract the effects so that I can sleep - I had to ask my oncologist for it. Hopefully, tonight is the last night I’ll need it. 

Otherwise, I’m still feeling surprisingly good. I was bracing myself for the worst so have been pleasantly surprised. My walks have definitely really helped me too in terms of feeling better and managing fatigue. 

Siân xxx

simplyeve

Hi Ladies

@hopeful1974 (Sian) & @Fairie (Sharon) Great to hear you ladies are doing well.

I had a long day too yesterday in for 9 left at 5.15 as had Herceptin, Docetaxol & Carboplatin.  Definitely finding the steroids and Ondonsentra have been doing their job reasonably well in terms of nausea, but do find eating an issue, as have very dry mouth and my taste is definitely changing, last night just had Cheese omelette and salad, which was fine. Despite being on Lansoprozole, today I am getting quite a lot of indigestion type wind so think I need to eat smaller plates and often.  How are you coping?

I have now finished my steroids and Ondansentra and have something called Metoclopramide which I can take if I need for the next 5 days,  1 tab 3 times a day for 5 days.  I also have to have the filgrastim injections starting tomorrow for next 7 days, so still a little anxious. I took steroids Breakfast and lunch Tues, Wed and Thur so took my last ones at lunchtime today, was awake until midnight last night and woke at 5.30 this morning but managed an hour and half nap about 5pm as have been quite hyper today.  Spent lots of money with Boots online,  hand and body lotion, hayfever tabs, new heads for my Oral B, nail varnish, factor 50 etc all the things I had planned to do and didn't get chance due to circumstance.  So realistically just been sitting and online shopping, sorting bills, paperwork etc and eating  - hoping tomorrow to get myself out for a walk as I feel I would be better off if I can get out and about in the fresh air.

Incidentally has anyone else had Zometa infusion with the TCHP?  I am going to be having that in fact was asked if my dentist had cleared it yesterday, but think my Oncologist was hoping to see how I faired on the first treatment as he hadn't actually asked me to get specific clearance from dentist when I went for dental treatment a couple of weeks ago, so will now be contacting dentist again, though nurse did say they would liase directly with him if he wanted further info.  

@Impatience so sorry to hear of your new follicle challenges. I like Fairie have suffered for many years with the same problem, in fact I joked that I would loose my hair, eyelashes and eyebrows but the chin and lip hair would never go!  I'll let you know........

Sian interesting you are having hot flushes, I mentioned this to my nurse yesterday, I had a hysterectomy in March 2011 and ovaries were removed so I think mine are more stress related.

Sharon, definitely loved the image of the beach outing!  I went loaded with Mobile phone, bluetooth headphones, book and android tablet!  Oh yes had water and banana too!  Played a bit of Majong, read a bit, but had a really interesting companion yesterday, ex Army chap very knowledgeable and well travelled who was being treated for pancreatic cancer and had the most wonderful positive attitude to life so I was distracted in conversation which really helped the day to pass quite quickly.  The staff in the unit are really friendly and I actually used to work with one of the clerks so was able to have a lovely catch up with her as she left at around the same time as me and waited with me till hubby arrived.  If treatments work out like that every time they will be over in no time.

Gonnagetthruthis (Kim) sounds like you are getting super organised, I too like to get organised and one of the things I brough was a tablet dispensing box so I could arrange my meds and found it easier to keep track of what to take and when.

Louise65 so hope you are feeling better after your chat, you have been amazing and an inspiration to me so far, but I think we all need time to take stock and allow ourselves time to reflect, wobble, cry, scream, shout and generally let the world know we are not going to take this lying down.  Even if technically lying down is the only way to cope on occasions😂

Just keep going, hope your treatment went well yesterday too and you are able to successful manage the se's.  Let us know how you got on when you feel like it.

Trowster, not long to go now, I'll be thinking of you on the 22nd, thanks for all the supportive comments and looking forward to hearing you have had your first treatment and come out the other side.  Do you have to have a Picc or central line do you know?  Was just remembering how you had trouble with your CT scan, so hoping they can get it sorted for you before your treatment day.  They had to try 3 times to get a good site yesterday so I am a bit like a pin cushion today, but it's only bruising and it will go by next visit.

Hope everyone else is coping well. I'm really glad to be able to say I have one treatment less to do.

Love to all, together we make a great support team, thanks everyone.   Yvonne xxx

hopeful1974

@Impatience I think the hair stopped growing fairly quickly when I was on EC. You shouldn’t have to pluck for too many more days! I have more hairs on my chin than I used to due to being sent into the menopause by the chemo. I am also have a few hot flushes. They are fairly manageable, though. 

I am still feeling good today, so I’m hoping that bodes well. Siân x

Trowster

hi all,

Yvonne, so glad the day went smoothly for you and I hope the feeling fine stays stays with you,

Louise, good to hear your getting out and enjoying some walks, I suppose we will all get tears moments there to be expected with what we’re going through our emotions are all jumbled up, well mine are, 

Hopeful, thanks for sharing the advice for dealing with the trots, sorry that’s easier to spell, I also need to take the steroids like you but a nursing friend has suggested I try and take them very early in the morning and have an early lunch maybe at 11am so I might sleep better, 

Gonna get through, thanks for the info I have my pre assessment next Tuesday on the 22nd, I hope the cold cap works well for you, I have decided not to try it, I’m a wimp really, I agree with you about the surrealness of it all, I feel so perfectly well and I know this treatment is needed, but I’m going to be made to feel worse to make me better and it could be 12 month plus before I feel as good as I do now, I just get frustrated and angry with it all some days it’s crazy how bloody good I feel right now, .

Fairee, thanks for your updates, I also walked this path the same as you in Aug 2008 it’s great that you say treatment has advanced so much I have been quite anxious at not wanting to feel like I did 13 yrs ago, but your update is easing my fears, 

Imp, your comment about plucking chin hairs made me chuckle, so thank you we all need to remember to laugh, 

we have got this and each other, let’s all stay strong together, I’ve just ordered a Vest top that I saw on the BRIC site on Facebook, F**k Cancer the BRIC site is good and ladies share lots of info and no one can see what you post if there not members, 

Fairie

Oh bless you! 😲

I’ve been plucking my chin and top lip for years! Hormone thing I think!

I quite enjoy a good pluck now!!! Xxx

Impatience

Hi

@Fairie @hopeful1974 

Really pleased to hear your first sessions went well and wishing you well moving forward. I’m Day 7 and the fatigue is ever present. However I reckon somebody somewhere is really taking the proverbial as I’m on chemo but had to pluck the hairs from my chin this morning!! Now that’s not fair! 

@GonnaGetThruThis I bet the scarves will look great. 

Lots of good positive vibes to everyone. Take care. 

Imp x

GonnaGetThruThis

@Fairiejust read your update and well done for getting through it and filling us all in and so glad for you that it will hopefully be a better/more suppotrtive experience this time.

Like everyone says we just have to remind ourselves that we need to get through the next few minutes, hours, weeks months etc..... and we will do it.  Half way through my consultation yesterday i had to pop to the loo and left my husband alonw with the nurse.  I know what he is like, so in the car on the way home i said 'so what did you talk to the nurse about?'.  He said he wanted reassurance that I'll be ok and my age and fitness is a definte advantage, but most importantly that a postive mental attitude really is such a great thing to have.

I'm trying to get as much work/home stuff done in the next few days and as i was telling my daughter on the way to school this morning, im trying to make the most of feeling completely ok before next week.  I hope i will be as 'ok' as the others have been so far but it is a little scary when they list off all the side effects (and not to mention giving me the sepsis card that i must carry at all times). 

Today I've already done the shopping and I am hoping to have a pedicure (had a manicure the other day) and have a gym workout before i go back for the school run.  My scarf that i ordered the other day came as well so i want to wear that around the house to get used to it.  I think ill buy another couple as well.  We live in a very culturally diverse area and i estimate more than half the women around wear scarves so i realised that noone will bat an eyelid at me.

Hope everyone is feeling ok today x

Fairie

That’s good to hear hopeful! 
I’m thinking of you xxx