March 2019 Chemo Starters

Hi

This thread is for anyone due to start chemotherapy in March 2019.  Others will be here soon but please come on here and introduce yourself and you can all help one another through this phase of your treatment.  If you have any questions please post away on here and others in the community will watch over you whilst you are getting started.  Once you are into it you’ll be pretty good at helping each other.  You can also ask the nurses on this forum if you have any concerns.  In the meantime, the top tip is always to stay well hydrated throughout chemo, aiming for 2 litres of water per day.

Here is the BCC guide on chemo:

breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment…

I finished my chemo over a year ago and doing very well again now.  Here is my story which has some chemo tips on how I coped which were collectively shared from others who had gone through the same from this forum:  lifeafterlola.com/

Best wishes

Nikki  xx

It’s doable ladies, stay strong. I’m from October 17. Just finished herceptin this Wednesday. Had 6 x FEC 75, 4 weeks of radiotherapy during the beast from the east last year( raised money for Cancer Research 10,000 steps for March) then 18 herceptin injections. It’s 2.30 am I’m rather inebriated right now but largely well. Dizzy on life, hold on take one day at a time, you will feel better. Thank whatever deity you like for the NHS, all good wishes for your treatment if you need any advice please PM me or better still just read the threads on treatment and connect with the people going through treatment with you it’s a great support. Love to you all.

Hello everyone.

Got diagnosed 5th Dec 2018.

2nd Jan 19- Had left Masectomy, lymph nodes checked, couple of cells infected, but classed as negative

31st Jan - had results which was not good, had 60mm DCIS  amongst that they found a 13mm Grade 3. triple negative breast 

6th March - My Chemo starts

(3xEC/ 3xDecetaxel)

Sounds silly, but still feels soooo surreal!, even though everyone is saying “you are so positive”, my mind is ticking away all the time!!!

Anyone else starting Chemo in March?

Trying to stay positive but getting a bit nervous

Everytime I sleep, my head is ticking away, worried on how I will feel, hoping my husband will be able to cope, it’s scary of the unknown ?

Xx

Hi everyone

I only got diagnosed on Thursday I have my MRI and Mammogram on monday to make sure it hasnt spread and to do some more scans on the area affected.

My Consultant has said I will likely start chemo in 2weeks time in line with my first oncologist appointment 18th March while they make a surgical plan.

I find this page / support like a lifeline right now.

Thanks, 

Jo

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I’d introduce myself to the group. 

I have invasive ductal cancer with two areas of abnormal tissue Grade 2 33mm and 29mm in my left breast and the biospy taken from one lymph node being malignant. As I’ve got an unknown level of lymph node involvement I’ve just had some body scans to check it hasn’t spread further and am going to be having my chemo first prior to surgery. I meet my oncology team next Tuesday 12/3/19 and will then start chemo, hopefully within two weeks, in which case I’ll be in the March thread, just! But if I’m delayed a week, I’ll head over to the April thread when it starts up! I’ll be having 6 sessions of chemo in total, 3 x FEC and then another 3 x FEC along with Herceptin and Perjeta/Pertuzumab as I’m triple positive ER+ and HER2+. 

Just as the Community Champions have said, one of my good friends finished chemo in November followed by surgery and then radiation with her 3-weekly infusions on-going and she told me (before she knew my diagnosis) that it was all doable if she took it one step at a time so we can definitely do this :) 

Good to meet you all and welcome to the group Dawn :slight_smile:

Alderney xx 

Hi All, I’m due to start FEC-T I think next week and have an Intro to Chemotherapy appointment tomorrow. I’ve never been so scared in my life. I’ve had 2 lots of surgery, lumpectomy with sentinel node biopsy, and then axillary clearance after that. Although my oncotype came back at 16, which I was really happy about, they then found that half of my lymph nodes were infected and so have been strongly advised to have chemo. Right now it feels like I’ve only just recovered and I’m deliberately making myself ill again. A big irrational chunk of me just wants to run away, change my name and forget all about it.

Now I feel like a bit of a plonker!! The first post has appeared lower down! I thought I had done something wrong yesterday! I wrote a lengthy post, it got automatically removed for being spam!! I am going to try again!

Hi, I’m a real newcomer to all of this! Formal diagnosis was done on Valentine’s day! What a present that was! I have been diagnosed with IDC, Grade 2 ER+, HER2-. I have had a biopy to confirm the cancer and then various appointments including nuclear medecine to find the Sentinel Lymph Node, a marker put in and then surgery to remove just the sentinel node. Currently awaiting the outcome of that biopsy. Then, we begin. On Wednesday 13th March I go in for the first of 3 FEC chemo cycles. Depending on the outcome of that, it will be followed with another 3 FEC with the possible addition of another drug (can’t remember its name). To say I am scared is an understatement, the biggest fear is knowing how I will react to the drugs. 

This forum has so far been a godsend. To find people going through and coming out the other end of the same or similar treatment is so reassuring! So, big girl pants are on ready for the next phase of this rollercoster!

PS The lump has been christened Liam!

Hi

I wanted to find out how long it has taken for initial referral to oncology after diagnosis and decisions to be made for chemo. Everything feels very slow where I am. 

My oncology appointment is just over 12 weeks after diagnosis! Despite me telling my team the delay is causing a lot of anxiety they haven’t even tried to speed it up. 

Had initial surgery within 4 weeks. Needed a re-excision, delayed due to sepsis (follow up meant to be within 2 weeks, I have to wait 4). So we don’t even know the outcome of second surgery before speaking to Oncologist! 

I have IDC Stage 2 size so far 39mm from 2 tumours and other tumour to be added from second surgery ,grade 2, ER +, high grade DCIS also found, and positive nodes. 

Hi there

As usual I am late to the party.   I so was not expecting this - still In abit  of a daze / denial to be honest.  Feel pretty fed up at the moment , just had to cancel my holiday for early April .

Start chemo on 27th March x4 EC x4 T. I’ve done lots of research and know what to expect - still bricking myself 

Hi all,

I hope you don’t mind if I crash your group… I’m starting my chemo next Monday (1st April), so I’ve joined that one too, but really helpful to read about your experiences, and all the advice, given that you’re very slightly ahead of me.

I live in New Malden, Surrey, and have two boys aged 10 and 13. I’m in the process of separating from my husband of 20 years. I was diagnosed mid-Feb with Grade 3 invasive, hormone receptive, HER2 negative 27mm tumour (on my letter it says T2N0M0). Had my surgery three weeks ago (lumpectomy) and there was no spread to margin or lymph nodes. Had an Oncotype DX test and got the result on Saturday by phone - 30, which is considered high risk of recurrence as I’m under 50 (46). I saw the oncologist today and she’s put me on 4 cycles of EC followed by 4 cycles of Paclitaxel (I think what you’re referring to as T), with the chemo happening every two weeks. She says it should be done by mid-August, allowing for the odd possible delay due to illness or side-effects. I’ve decided to start with a canula and move to a port if that becomes too tricky. I’m also going to give the cold cap a go. 

I’ve read all your posts and have made a long list of things to buy!! I’m not sure about wigs yet - I’m kind of thinking I might just get a bandana. Am definitely going to get prune juice and Movicol - I hate constipation!! 

I like the idea of joining your FB group and will message about that - thank you.

Good luck to all of you for your ongoing treatment. x