328069posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March 2019 Chemo Starters

Re: March 2019 Chemo Starters

Danaleeson 

I slept fitfully, had a couple of hot flushes as usual which made me panic about my temperature! Clearly absolutely no problem there!! Paranoia again! I was really uncomfortable as I am still recovering from my SLNB. I had a clip put in the same day as surgery and that was aching. I’m lying in bed trying to rest prior to taking my next round of meds one of which are steroids, so there is little hope of catching up on sleep 😴 I just keep reminding myself it’s all in a good cause! I must have had some sleep as my husband decamped to the spare room as I was snoring!! Oops! 

I drank loads of water yesterday, I think it’s really important! 😘

Sal - I am really preparing myself for the broken sleep because I can already do that now without chemo! Were you able to fall back asleep? Glad you are keeping on top of your meds. I heard it is best to keep taking the anti-sick meds as it is easier to maintain than catch-up (if you stop and then start to feel nauseaus). I have decided to get a big reuseable water bottle to help track my 2L.

Waiting for the symptons to start must be so frustrating. I know I will be the same. Just sitting and waiting.

Reallyzeb - I hope it goes as well as it can go! Thinking of you x

Got my chemo assessment this afternoon, then it all begins tomorrow. Will have to use the cannula for the first round. But then I am going to get booked in for a port. They only do ports where I am getting chemo.

I tried fasting yesterday and failed. I just don't think it is me. I will just focus on good food with good fats and not stuff my face because I love to emotionally eat.

Reallyzeb, good luck for Thursday. As said before, keep us posted. 

I’ve done exactly as I was told yesterday, I’ve taken my meds, eaten and drank lots of water. It’s 3am and I am wide awake!! So frustrating. But I don’t feel too bad, best make the most of that! Only outward sign anything has happened is my pink wee!! 

How are feeling Sal/Dana?  Keep us informed.   I will be thinking about you both 

My trust insist on using a picc line for chemo .  They won’t use a canula 

Take care 

Hi guys

i am feeling loads more positive today.  I’ve been ok for most of the journey just waiting for original biopsy and then being told Chemo have been wobblers for me. I think I have finally accepted it now.  The thing I am struggling most with is that I feel really healthy - good diet etc probably the healthiest I’ve been to be honest.  Just seems crazy that I would allow myself to be ( for want of a better word )poisoned.  Sorry if it seems like I’m going on hopefully I answered  all questions 😀

A little background history - I felt  a small lump early November - GP thought it was a cyst but referred me the breast clinic.  Male consultant thought it was a cyst .. he even wrote saying nothing to worry about to my Gp . 2 week wait for mammogram and ultrasound ( which I thought was just routine to confirm it was nothing) ,  Radiologisg looked quite worried  told me she saw a solid mass in both breasts so did double biopsy and well 💩 got real .  Changed to female surgeon. 2 weeks of hell waiting for result where I must have studied 1000s of mammograms and ultrasounds online .  5 days before Christnas  was diagnosed  one lump was benign the other was a tumour grade 2.  Had mri found another tumour near to the other one 17mm the other 2,5 mm.   Had WLE and sentinel removal I’m Jan   Results showed  both tumours to be grade 3 with clear nodes eastrogen 8/8 , progesterone positive Her 2 negative.  I was borderline for chemo so had Oncotype test which came back as 35. (High)  23% chance of distant reoccurrence with chemo adding over 15% benefit.  I was convinced I would say no to chemo and that rads would be enough    Oncologist is lovely - basically laid it down to me that I had a 1 in 4 chance of it coming back to one of my organs and being pretty much terminal .  She said she would loose sleep over me if I didn’t have it .  

Treatment is EC x4 ( every 21 days) Taxol x4 (every 14 days.) x3 rads and one boost. I  had Zoladex ovary suppression injection yesterday and will probably go on Exemestane for 5 years. 

Now for the positive ... I’ve got you lot... so looking forward to getting to know you, swopping ideas, experiences, and plenty of virtual hand holding ✋🏻🤚🏻🤝.   I’m now off to research someone to micro blade my eyebrows.   Forgot to say I’m 44. 

Yippee!! One down, five to go. I cried like a baby when the cannula went in, relief more than pain I think. 

Feeling quite bizarre now, waiting for side effects! How silly is that!! 

Love to all! X

Dana - My colourful wigs are from Amazon - one by Sodial, one by NiceLisa, with a couple of bamboo wig caps too.

Reallyzeb - Love the wigs you got! I am need a colurful one too. Where did you get yours?

I am picking my sensible wig up today and then will continue to prep the flat for Friday.

Good luck for your first treatment tomorrow. Thinking of you x

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Few wig tips, whenever you go for your wig, get your make up on and go for the one where you still see you 😘 loveyababes do a very good range of wigs (not dressing up kind for fancy dress) actual proper wigs that are very good (I preferred my few from there to the real hair one my husband paid a fortune for) also you can get one to wear specifically while having treatments then save your good one for other day to day times 😘 a silk pillowcase will be gentle on scalp and beauty despite cancer did a good scalp care kit ❤️ I ended up with tinsel wigs, coloured wigs the lot 😁😁the steroids will give you a shopping finger for sure, so just warning you. Hope your turban caps arrive ok 👍I looked like a spare out of carry on up the kyber (I did have in my mind a galmorous liz Taylor idea) but noooo carry on up the kyber so I wigged it all the way. When you do get to shave your head time, this will sound strange but you will feel like you’ve taken a bit of control back because you’ll be deciding when it happens. Turn it into a brace the shave and raise some funds for your chosen charity ❤️❤️ A great friend of mine told me positive mental attitude at the start of my journey and it helped me but what’s right for one isn’t right for another, do this journey your way and do what ever makes you happy 😘all treatments will be tailored to you specifically too. Always keep your teams advised of anything, keep your rapid response cards on you and watch your temperatures. 👭👭💕💕✨✨Shi xx

So I’ve seen the consultant again today and had it confirmed that my first FEC starts on Thursday. I seem to have gotten to some calm zen-like place right now but I expect it could turn to panic on the morning. Kind of like being winched up to the top of a giant rollercoaster.

I have one sensible wig ordered and two multicolour ones as my hair is currently purple.

Chloe,

thank you!! 

I have just had some good news! My sentinel lymph node biopsy has come back clear. So, that means my treatment pathway is now more straightforward, just the 6 x FEC and no added D or T (whatever that stands for!!). It also means I will not have to have an axilliary clearance - phew!

But why is it, when we do get good news, we doubt it? I have told lots of people, but now I am questioning what I heard! I know I didn't. This thing is sending me doolally!! Just call me Doolally Sally!

Watching Cold Feet! It is our story...what does everyone else think? My husband can't watch it, so I am on Catch up in the back bedroom on my laptop!

Hi Sally

Thanks for your comments.... good to meet you !

Your hairdresser sounds good ( mine was a bit awkward I think and didn't know what to do or say, althoough she is really nice, I know it's hard for people ! ) hence relying on my daughter to cut it...

Are you going for the cold cap ? 

I have orderd a wig ( assuming the cold cap won't really work ) 'made to measure' kind of....the hairdresser doing that is amazing and very relaxed about it all...

Can't imagine losing my hair or wearing a wig... I suppose it just 'happens' and then you no longer have to imagine it .! 

The grey hair that will grow back in the end is another annoyance, yes !

Have you had a meeting with the doctor in charge of delivering the chemo ? I remember very little from mine, I was too stressed and numb at the time. 

My chemotherapy drugs are different to yours, ( EC ) but hopefully when you come to it, it won't be any way near as scary as it is worrying about it beforehand ... 

Wishing you the best for the big day ! 

Chloe 

Hi Bookishgurl

This diagnosis sure does pull a punch! Over a few weeks I would sit on my sofa looking out the window and every so often turn to my partner and say, 'I have cancer.' I was just in shock. How is your support network?

I believe we are having the same treatment. I am have 4x EC and 4x Taxol. Is your 'T' taxol? Mine starts this Friday. x

Alderney - Really sorry to hear that you had to cancel your trip to Japan. Hopefully you will be able to get all or most of your money back and then use this re-booked trip as a celebration. My partner and I went last year - if you want or need any suggestions happy to share! But I am sure you had your itinerary all in hand.

Hi Bookishgurl,

I think we'll be starting chemo about the same time so I'm likely to join both March and April's threads.

Yes, cancer is a pain up the backside! I just had to cancel a trip to Japan for late March/early April Smiley Sad however am in the process of claiming the money back through my travel insurance so that I can go later next year when I'm through the worst of the active treatment. Definitely need to do some research into which travel insurance companies will provide the better deals! Smiley Happy I noticed there's a thread on this forum about different travel insurance companies x

Thinking of you, Alderney xx

Hi,

I'm also due to start 6 x FEC along with Herceptin and Perjeta for sessions 4, 5 and 6, hopefully in a couple of weeks' time. Should find out more at my oncology appointment tomorrow. And yes, we've got this Smiley Wink All the best for Wednesday, Alderney xx  

Bookishgurl

When did you get your diagnosis? I start chemo on weds. I too am really scared! I’m due to have 3xFEC and then a review, followed by another 3. Just keep breathing. We can do this! 

Sally

Hi there

As usual I am late to the party.   I so was not expecting this - still In abit  of a daze / denial to be honest.  Feel pretty fed up at the moment , just had to cancel my holiday for early April .

Start chemo on 27th March x4 EC x4 T. I’ve done lots of research and know what to expect - still bricking myself 

Chloe, I've just had my hair cut shorter too, my hairdresser has been brilliant. We looked at the wigs and cut my hair in the style of the one I have chosen! (Lou, but it will have to be grey! Smiley LOL She has told me to ring her if it starts to come out in chunks and she will come round with the clippers!! I have just placed an order with AnnaBandana. This hair malarkey is a real pain!

FEC starts on Wednesday, as you say, I just cannot imagine what it will be like! 

Sally

Hi Josarah

Just wanted to say hello and send you positive vibes ! 

And to share with you because my diagnosis and treatment plan have similarities .....

I was diagnosed initially in November 2018 with grade 2   2 mm  er- and HER+ with LCIS. I had a lumpectomy and lymph nodes taken wihich revealed another area of invaseive cancer, 1 cm ( grade 3 ? ) more LCIS and positive lymph node/s.  (This cancer was borderline HER2+ may be triple negative ? I don't yet know )  ( This was all following a LCIS diagnosis about a year and a half ago, which was treated with a lumpectomy ) I have just started chemotherapy (March 1st ) with EC, which will then go on to docetaxal, as with your treatment plan. I begin the Herceptin next time, March 22nd.

My daughter cut my hair ( shorter ! ) a bob length ( but she is 16 ! ) I wore the cold cap ( which I have mixed feelings about regarding safety, and that it wasn't really working properly ) it was very uncomfortable ( tight ) might not wear it again... haven't decided. (  Last night I dreampt that I cut all my hair of myself and made a real mess..) it may happen yet... I think one of the main reasons I wore the cold cap was for the children...! 

Fruther ahead I will be having the rest fo the lymph nodes cleared on the right side, probably radiotherapy and I want a mastectomy, but that is all about the next stage...

I have being doing some reading ( things recommended by others ) and decided to fast ( some say it reduces nausea ) before the chemotherapy ( or very restricted diet ) for 2 days, then little to eat on the day and day after. I don't know if this helped, but I only expereinced a slight feelig of nausea on one ocassion, and was not sick. 

Not knowing what to expect is really scary and there are so many possible side effects reported... but on EC, for me so far, not much.... bit of tiredness in the first few days, at the moment, nothing I am noticing. Early days.... 

I was incredibly nervous before the first chemotherepy session, not able to imagine it, 'how to do it' but in the end it didn't feel like a huge deal... not nice, but definately not awful... kind of ok. Next time, when I get the Herceptin, I have to stay over 6 hours in case of an alergic reaction. 

Am doing a fair bit of reading at the moment, looking at diet etc, trying to go out for walks...It is helping me to feel more positive. 

I feel for you and everthing that you are going through, it is such a huge amount to get your head around.... 

I hope your cough is feeling better and you are all set for your first chemo.... sending positive vibes to you !

Chloe 

Morning Ladies 

Good luck for all your up and coming chemo or surgery . Don't forget to look on all threads they really help xx

I started my chemo FEC - T (also having 7 wbc injections with evey cycle ) on 4th Feb after a skin sparing mastectomy and lymph node clearance big hugs to all of you xx

Sally (Sunshine Sal) - I am in London! Love that you called your lump Liam. You've inspired me to create a name for my lumps! Josarah is starting her chemo on Wednesday as well.

Lizandsarah - What I am finding is that each story is just a little bit different. But your timeline doesn't seem out of ordniary for me. I was diagnosed 14 Nov. Did tests/diagnostics and created the treatment plan in Dec. Mastectomy 8 Jan. Met oncology team 23 Jan and through a bit of back and forth and changing oncology team will be starting chemo this week.

Alderney - Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. I found meeting the oncology team quite comforting. Mine was very different from the surgery team. Let us know how you get on.

Josarah - How is your cough? And how you are feeling about Wednesday? I am starting with EC as well. I woke up feeling a bit anxious today.

Reallyzeb - You do find everything is just sitting around, isn't it! My first chemo pre-assessment was a bit odd. There were some people there who had no idea it was a chemo pre-assess and thought it was counselling and had no idea what drugs they were receiving. I found that odd, but I guess some people want minimal info. Glad that it calmed your nerves. How are you feeling about the 14th?

Joanne - I agree with the other ladies, welcome to stay in March as well and get a even bigger support network! Smiley Happy

Riversidedawn - Your diagnosis doesn't scare me that you can't join our chat. Not at all. How are you feeling now that surgery was a few weeks away?

Pokyspider - How are you feeling after your surgery on 8th? I hope it went well.

Tray46 - how are you feeling after your first round of EC? I am starting on EC as well. You are so right, the unknown is scary. 

Hi lizandsarah,

Your timescale doesn't seem slow to me, it sort of matches mine. I'm in Nottingham.

Diagnosed early November, 1st surgery 30th November, 2nd surgery 14th January. First oncologist appointment 19th Feb at which point things suddenly speed up dramatically and I start chemo this Thursday. 

My oncologist said that they won't even consider starting until the surgery healing is finished, which does make sense.

Wiltshire

Where are you in the country? I am in Devon. 

Am I allowed to ask that?

Sally

Hi

I wanted to find out how long it has taken for initial referral to oncology after diagnosis and decisions to be made for chemo. Everything feels very slow where I am. 

My oncology appointment is just over 12 weeks after diagnosis! Despite me telling my team the delay is causing a lot of anxiety they haven't even tried to speed it up. 

Had initial surgery within 4 weeks. Needed a re-excision, delayed due to sepsis (follow up meant to be within 2 weeks, I have to wait 4). So we don't even know the outcome of second surgery before speaking to Oncologist! 

I have IDC Stage 2 size so far 39mm from 2 tumours and other tumour to be added from second surgery ,grade 2, ER +, high grade DCIS also found, and positive nodes. 

Now I feel like a bit of a plonker!! The first post has appeared lower down! I thought I had done something wrong yesterday! I wrote a lengthy post, it got automatically removed for being spam!! I am going to try again!

Hi, I'm a real newcomer to all of this! Formal diagnosis was done on Valentine's day! What a present that was! I have been diagnosed with IDC, Grade 2 ER+, HER2-. I have had a biopy to confirm the cancer and then various appointments including nuclear medecine to find the Sentinel Lymph Node, a marker put in and then surgery to remove just the sentinel node. Currently awaiting the outcome of that biopsy. Then, we begin. On Wednesday 13th March I go in for the first of 3 FEC chemo cycles. Depending on the outcome of that, it will be followed with another 3 FEC with the possible addition of another drug (can't remember its name). To say I am scared is an understatement, the biggest fear is knowing how I will react to the drugs. 

This forum has so far been a godsend. To find people going through and coming out the other end of the same or similar treatment is so reassuring! So, big girl pants are on ready for the next phase of this rollercoster!

PS The lump has been christened Liam!

So I had my intro to chemo appointment yesterday and now feel a lot calmer. I start my chemo on the 14th.

The appointment was a presentation about general chemo along with 4 other people, a 1:1 going into specifics of my actual chemo and answering my questions and then blood samples and height/weight. Plus a lot of sitting around!

I will be losing all my body hair according to the nurses so I have a wig appointment this morning.

Thanks riversidedawn, I was wondering how long to leave for my intro to chemo appointment with my oncology team and that's given me some idea now Smiley Happy I've given it a good space of time before my wig shopping appointment anyway as I'm learning to expect the unexpected! With quick appts when I expected it might take a while and then longer appts when I thought I'd be out in no time, lol! That's a great idea about joining botrh threads if you're right at the end of the month too, which might be the case for me. Thanks Smiley Wink Hope you sleep better tonight xx 

Hello All

Got confirmation yesterday, through a second opinion, that chemo is back on the table for me. Monday will confirm my start date, but I have a feeling it will be by 16 March.

Quick snapshot about me:

Diagnosed with stage 1 invasive ductal of no special type ER+ PR+ HER2- on 14 November 2018 at 40 years

Surgery on 8 January 2019 - left breast mastectomy with a temporary expander implant fitted and auxillary node clearance (levels 1 and 2)

Results showed 8cm DCIS tumour, within that were the invasive DC of NST tumours - tumour 1 was grade 1 at 4.5cm, tumour 2 was grade 2 at 3cm. 3/12 lymph nodes were affected and one lymph node had a 2cm tumour

Developed cording (ouch) and it progressed to 4 aggressive cords. Undergoing physio, which delayed chemo

Participated in Optima trial and to my surprise I was in Group 2 which had my tissue samples tested by the Prosigna test and it came back that I would response well to HT and didn't necessarily need chemo. I found this out on 27 Feb, the day before I was supposed to start chemo (had all the pre-checks done and ward visit, etc).

At that appointment I didn't see my oncology doctor, but a registrar and she shared the news. My partner and I just sat in shock. They just sent me home with my HT prescription and say radiotherapy would be in touch in a couple weeks. I decided to book an appointment with my surgeon to see if my implant could be expanded. When I updated him he was NOT happy - he said given my age I need chemo. He referred me to another oncology doctor, who specialises in BC in young women, and she confirmed that I need chemo.

I was sad to hear the news but not surprised. I think I just knew not to believe it.

I will be having 4 rounds of EC and then 4 rounds of paclitaxel.

Hi, can't quite believe I'm here!

I was diagnosed on 14th February 2019 with IDC grade 2, ER+, HER-  My tumour is quite big, 4cm. I knew it was there but I was too scared to do anything. Fortunately my routine mammogram came through at the end of January and I faced it. I knew it was going to unleash a storm and I was going to be at the centre of it - I loathe being the centre of attention!

To date, I have had a biopsy, sentinel lymph node biopsy and a marker put in. The sentinel lymph node biopsy and marker were done on Monday 4th March. By Wednesday 6th March I had an oncology appointment, and today (Friday 8th March) the hospital rang and said I can start Chemo on Weds next week, 13th March. My original mammogram was on January 22nd, so it has only been 6 weeks. A real rollercoaster ride. The view is that it is highly unlikely I have cancerous lymph nodes which is fab news, but we have yet to see the biopsy result. Apparently the treatment path will be much the same regardless. I am due to have FEC for 3 cycles and then it will be reviewed with the possibility of adding in something else for the other 6.

The chemo is what scares me the most, I run at a high tepertuer day to day, mainly due to being 54! I also have an underactive thyroid, so temperature control is not my forte!

So, back on with the Big Girl Pants for the next phase!

Just the thought I am not alone is wonderful. This forum is a wealth of information from people that know. Not sure what I am hoping to achieve by writing this, but the act of writing is just off loading and helpful.

By the way, my lump has been christened Liam!

Community Champion

Hi Alderley,  Reallyzeb, Joanne and Josara

Jo please feel free to stay with us, or pop in to see us from time to time. When I had chemo 4 years ago I started on 31st October and joined both October and November threads as felt both were relevant to me. 

Reallyzeb, it does seem counterintuitive. You feel well and then purposefully make yourself unwell by allowing these poisons into your body. But in the long term it's good for you! Stick around, don't run away. How was your intro to chemo appointment?  I've got mine next week, they told me to allow 2 hours! What do they do to you in all that time?!

Tray, looks like you're the first in our group to start chemo. How did it go on Wednesday?  Please check in and let us know how you're doing. You will be an inspiration for the scary unknown. 

Hope everyone's OK. I can't sleep tonight.

Xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Josarah, please let your unit know about the cough before you start chemo, the main thing is to keep yourselves safe during chemo, check your temperatures, ring your units, if you start with thrush mouth ring your units and get fluconzole tablets and also get difflam. If your pee burns but no temp, ring your units it’ll more than likely be a uti and will need antibiotics. Riversidedawn sending you big ❤️❤️Darling, sorry you are on chemo conga again. Ladies 👭👭you are already doing amazing job holding onto each other and there are lots of us who will pop on with anything we think might help and I’m always encouraging a bit of 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻Through it with the odd tune. For fec botties (you can get a bit backed up with the steroids) get baby wipes, very soothing for bum, senokot or movicol and tubes and tubes of anosol, I know this might seem a bit tmi, but just trying to help you have things to hand. Get your look good feel better sessions booked with your Macmillan centres, you get about £250 of free make up and a session where a professional make up artist teaches you how to do fake brows and lashes etc. You can ask your unit about your wig vouchers too if you’ve not been told about them. Sending you all 💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Hi All, I'm due to start FEC-T I think next week and have an Intro to Chemotherapy appointment tomorrow. I've never been so scared in my life. I've had 2 lots of surgery, lumpectomy with sentinel node biopsy, and then axillary clearance after that. Although my oncotype came back at 16, which I was really happy about, they then found that half of my lymph nodes were infected and so have been strongly advised to have chemo. Right now it feels like I've only just recovered and I'm deliberately making myself ill again. A big irrational chunk of me just wants to run away, change my name and forget all about it.

Looks like I will be actually starting chemo in April after another appointment today. 

Confirmed by MRI and Mammogram I have 1 x 3cm lump in my right breast. Going to have sentinel node biopsy surgery in next two weeks then oncologist confirmed for 25th March and then 6 x Fec - D chemo sessions starting in April.

Thanks for everyone's support so far and wishing all you lovely ladies lots of love and courage xxx

Hi everyone 

I’m starting chemo next Wednesday. I’ve 2cm idc grade 3 er- HER2+ with 6cm DCIS. I’m having 4 cycles EC then 4 of docetaxal, herceptin etc. Mastectomy then continue with herceptin. I’ve. Just realised today the enormity of what I’m facing. This is a good year and a bit of treatment. I’m really not looking forward to it. I’m also fighting a rotten cough which just won’t shift. My bloods are fine though and no temperature so hopefully chemo can start. Feeling really down, I got my hair cut short today and my little girl burst out crying 😢 

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself to the group. 

I have invasive ductal cancer with two areas of abnormal tissue Grade 2 33mm and 29mm in my left breast and the biospy taken from one lymph node being malignant. As I've got an unknown level of lymph node involvement I've just had some body scans to check it hasn't spread further and am going to be having my chemo first prior to surgery. I meet my oncology team next Tuesday 12/3/19 and will then start chemo, hopefully within two weeks, in which case I'll be in the March thread, just! But if I'm delayed a week, I'll head over to the April thread when it starts up! I'll be having 6 sessions of chemo in total, 3 x FEC and then another 3 x FEC along with Herceptin and Perjeta/Pertuzumab as I'm triple positive ER+ and HER2+. 

Just as the Community Champions have said, one of my good friends finished chemo in November followed by surgery and then radiation with her 3-weekly infusions on-going and she told me (before she knew my diagnosis) that it was all doable if she took it one step at a time so we can definitely do this Smiley Happy 

Good to meet you all and welcome to the group Dawn Smiley Happy

Alderney xx 

Community Champion

Thanks Pokyspider xx

Hello Jo,

Welcome to the March chemo starters, although I know we all wish we weren't here. Hope you're doing ok - I found the first few weeks of endless tests and waiting very hard. Try to be kind to yourself and get as much rest that you can. 

There are people at all kinds of stages into treatment here so hopefully, together we can support each other.

Let us know how it goes with your oncologist appointment on the 18th.

We're here if and when you need us.

x

Hello Dawn,

Welcome! I'm sure everyone is glad to have you with us. I'm sorry about your recent discovery. Seriously sucks. A close friend had a similar experience 4 years ago with BC recurrence in the liver and abdomen, but chemo managed to see it all off and she's really doing great now! 

I have a 2cm suspicious thyroid nodule that I'm having surgery to remove on Friday, then just under 2 weeks to recover before starting chemo.

We'll get through all of this together.

x

Hi everyone

I only got diagnosed on Thursday I have my MRI and Mammogram on monday to make sure it hasnt spread and to do some more scans on the area affected.

My Consultant has said I will likely start chemo in 2weeks time in line with my first oncologist appointment 18th March while they make a surgical plan.

I find this page / support like a lifeline right now.

Thanks, 

Jo

@Mai7 wrote:

Hi

This thread is for anyone due to start chemotherapy in March 2019.  Others will be here soon but please come on here and introduce yourself and you can all help one another through this phase of your treatment.  If you have any questions please post away on here and others in the community will watch over you whilst you are getting started.  Once you are into it you'll be pretty good at helping each other.  You can also ask the nurses on this forum if you have any concerns.  In the meantime, the top tip is always to stay well hydrated throughout chemo, aiming for 2 litres of water per day.

Here is the BCC guide on chemo:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment...

I finished my chemo over a year ago and doing very well again now.  Here is my story which has some chemo tips on how I coped which were collectively shared from others who had gone through the same from this forum:  http://lifeafterlola.com/

Best wishes

Nikki  xx

Community Champion

Hi March Starters

Can I join you? I was originally diagnosed with BC in September 2014, mastectomy, chemo and rads finishing July 2015. I had a 8cm and a 2cm tumour plus 26 lymph nodes affected so always at high risk of recurrence/spread.

Diagnosed with bone mets in January 2018. And 2 weeks ago they found multiple tumours in my abdomen following 6 weeks of pain, vomiting and constipation. In hospital now recovering from surgery 9 days ago. They could only remove a couple and a length of small intestine so the rest are to be blitzed by chemo. Just waiting to histology to confirm it's BC and not a new cancer. 

At the moment the plan is weekly paclitaxol to start within the next two weeks. 

If my history is too scary for you ladies please say and I will stick to the secondary cancer threads.

Dawn x

Hi Pokyspider 

Thanks for the reply, how is your brother getting on? 

Yes there is a lot you can do re the thyroid tumour.

As you said, Iodine is a definite no no, try to avoid Dairy, unless it’s organic, due to the hormone content, thyroid tumours are normally not susceptible Estrogen hormones, however there is a very strong link between thyroid issues and Breast cancer. 

Have you checked your TSH, T3 RT3? 

If these hormones are in reference range then that’s fine. As you are probably aware, there is also a strong link between thyroid and Adrenals. I had Adrenal Fatigue 7 years ago, 

I addressed this by having Acupuncture and Chinese herbs. 

Foods such as butternut squash. Sweet potato, salmon and Aubergine are high in B5. 

B5 Regulates Adrenal function. 

A few years ago I saw Dr/ Nutritional Therapist, Dr Barry Peatfield who helped me with Adrenal fatigue, he wrote a book called Your Thyroid, it talks about the link with Adrenals and thyroid. He also talks about diet and foods that help thyroid Adrenal issues. 

As a therapist myself, I’m always talking about links re thyroid, Adrenal and breast issues. 

Good luck with your treatments. Xx

Hello monicanatura,

There is a history of thyroid problems in my family (goiters, hypo and hyper), but no cancer until my younger brother was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer about 4 years ago. He's had a total thyroidectomy with neck dissection and multiple nodes removed over the years which is pretty uncommon for that type of cancer. I didn't have any signs that I'm aware of up until the CT scan in December, which showed a 2cm nodule in my left lobe along with a tumor on one of my adrenal glands (this turned out to be non-functioning and they are just going to keep an eye on it).

They did an FNA on my thyroid which came back as undetermined but my doctor suspects mixed follicular and papillary cancer, especially having a sibling with thyroid cancer. Apparently, FNAs on the thyroid are very hard to get reliable results from. It seems to be contained and very slow growing but my doctor advised a lobectomy so they can send it off for pathology. If it comes back positive I'll have to have the rest out and probably radioactive iodine treatment.

I haven't been given any advice on diet yet, but I guess I'll have to do the low iodine if I have to do the radioactive iodine treatment. I think they were more concerned about the breast cancer and not delaying chemo as my mastectomy was on Jan 24th. I'm going in for the thyroid surgery next Friday and have to stay for a week, then out and start chemo a few days later. They did ask if I wanted to wait to do the surgery until after chemo, but I'd rather get it done while I'm feeling strong. If I wait I'll worry about it for the next 6 months! 

A lot to process there but I'm on medical leave from work now so I have plenty of time to research and try to figure it all out. 

If you have any dietary advice I'd be very interested (need to lose some weight too!).

x

Hi pokyspider 

Did you have Thyroid issues before you had the CT scan? 

I was born without a thyroid gland, do you know there is a link between thyroid issues and Breast cancer? 

Are you following any dietary advice regarding thyroid tumour? 

Thanks and good luck with your surgery. 

Hello March starters!

I'm looking at 6 months starting on March 20th. 4x FEC 100 followed by 4x Docetaxel (Taxotere). Hormone and radiation to follow.

I had a right mastectomy with axillary dissection on Jan 24th and my path report came back on Wednesday: Strong ER+, Strong PR+, HER2-, 10/15 nodes positive. It's all still sinking in at the moment.

I also have a thyroid tumor that is completely unrelated and showed up on a CT scan (because apparently, breast cancer wasn't enough!), so I have surgery to remove half as a diagnostic biopsy on March 8th. 

I've been ok up to now but starting to really get pretty anxious about everything. Glad to have March chemo group to go through this with. Cancer sucks.

x

Hello everyone.

Got diagnosed 5th Dec 2018.

2nd Jan 19- Had left Masectomy, lymph nodes checked, couple of cells infected, but classed as negative

31st Jan - had results which was not good, had 60mm DCIS  amongst that they found a 13mm Grade 3. triple negative breast 

6th March - My Chemo starts

(3xEC/ 3xDecetaxel)

Sounds silly, but still feels soooo surreal!, even though everyone is saying "you are so positive", my mind is ticking away all the time!!!

Anyone else starting Chemo in March?

Trying to stay positive but getting a bit nervous

Everytime I sleep, my head is ticking away, worried on how I will feel, hoping my husband will be able to cope, it's scary of the unknown 😒

Xx

It’s doable ladies, stay strong. I’m from October 17. Just finished herceptin this Wednesday. Had 6 x FEC 75, 4 weeks of radiotherapy during the beast from the east last year( raised money for Cancer Research 10,000 steps for March) then 18 herceptin injections. It’s 2.30 am I’m rather inebriated right now but largely well. Dizzy on life, hold on take one day at a time, you will feel better. Thank whatever deity you like for the NHS, all good wishes for your treatment if you need any advice please PM me or better still just read the threads on treatment and connect with the people going through treatment with you it’s a great support. Love to you all.
Community Champion

March 2019 Chemo Starters

Hi

This thread is for anyone due to start chemotherapy in March 2019.  Others will be here soon but please come on here and introduce yourself and you can all help one another through this phase of your treatment.  If you have any questions please post away on here and others in the community will watch over you whilst you are getting started.  Once you are into it you'll be pretty good at helping each other.  You can also ask the nurses on this forum if you have any concerns.  In the meantime, the top tip is always to stay well hydrated throughout chemo, aiming for 2 litres of water per day.

Here is the BCC guide on chemo:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment...

I finished my chemo over a year ago and doing very well again now.  Here is my story which has some chemo tips on how I coped which were collectively shared from others who had gone through the same from this forum:  http://lifeafterlola.com/

Best wishes

Nikki  xx