Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March 2020 Chemo Starters

1,033 REPLIES 1,033
jowels

Re: March 2020 Chemo Starters

Hi all 

how is everyone doing?

I am returning physically to work on the 6th April I am so excited!

I also have finally got a date for my mri for next week 👍

hope everyone doing ok sending hugs ❤️

jowels

Gem so pleased you managing to get your sleep last couple of nights 🥳

yes I’m hoping to get acupuncture but still not available until covid 19 is settled so more waiting I guess.

Frustrating but a small price to pay ♥️❤️
hope you have more good nights sleep lovely ❤️😘

gem333

Hi,

oh no that’s awful re. Your arm...is there anything you can try? Flipping side effects!

I've actually managed to sleep for the past two nights 🥳 went back to my ‘Feather and Down’ pillow spray...it’s incredible 👏

is there any holistic stuff that can help with neuropathy? Acupuncture or something like that?

big hugs xxxx

jowels

Hi Gem 

ah great about work and hope you get your second vaccine soon.

my neuropathy is in my chemo arm all of it really including my hand,pins and needles and pain if I’m typing on laptop or chopping veg that sort of thing.Think it’s going to be a bigger issue when I’m back to clinical practice.

Sorry to hear you not sleeping 😴 it’s awful.Due to the sweats I last slept a full night in the summer.

hope they can find something to help you lovely.Sending hugs 😘♥️

gem333

Hi everyone!

yay! You’ve had your second vaccine that’s fantastic!! I’m not sure when mine is but I can’t wait.

I've gone into work a few times distanced and outside but still mostly working from home until I’ve had vaccine 2.

oh bugger re your neuropathy- where exactly is it? I have a sore left big toe...I’ve no idea why but I’ve wondered about neuropathy. I hope you find some way to get past it!

im going for bloods today just to check iron etc as I’m sleeping so badly and very tired...I hate any medical intervention now (even more than before) and the smell of the medical masks I wear at work takes me back to wearing them for chemo which really turns my tummy ☹️

big hugs to you all xx

jowels

Hi all 

how we all doing?

Im so hoping shielding is finished at end of March 🙏I’ve had both vaccines now and I’m over the moon.

im so hoping to be able to go back into physical work first week in April 😀

can I ask,has anyone got any neuropathy from their chemo?I had FEC and really it started when I started chemo and still not great now.My oncolgist said there may be physio to help but didn’t sound so sure anything would help!

it’s my dominate arm,opposite to my cancer side.

Anyway hope you are all doing ok 

lots of love ❤️ 

gem333

Ah fab!!

yes great news 🥳

xx

jowels

Thank you gem

sage is the next on my list 🤩

brill about the new job so pleased 💜

gem333

Ah that’s tough!! 🤭

I hope it all eases a bit soon...did you try sage? I heard somewhere it can help...

The job is going so well! The team are fantastic and lovely and they are easing me in - I feel very lucky 🥰

Take care and I hope Spring is springing there 🌼 xx

jowels

Thanks Gem 

such a relief to have had it!💕

ah I know what you mean about feeling all over!hope something gives soon ha ha!

I have fans,chill pillows,windows open,sheet and no duvet and still terrible sweats.I don’t drink alcohol now and have reduced caffeine.

how’s your new job going lovely ☺️ 

gem333

Yay! You got your second vaccine!! Great news 👏👏

Ive had menopausal symptoms after chemo but I’m not on any further meds as mine wasn’t a hormonal bc...I’m struggling with the symptoms many nights but also as I had one what I think was a period last month and nothing this so my body feels all over the place.

I have found drinking loads of water and a feather and down pillow spray is my only way of managing xx

i hope you can find something to help! Acupuncture sounds good when you can xxx

jowels

Good morning lovelies

hope everyone is doing ok.

I got my second vaccine last night 🎉🎉

so pleased despite the banging head very sore arm -small price to pay to be protected.

does anyone take sage for tamoxifen induced menopause? I’ve been on evening primrose oil but I don’t think it’s helping.My oncologist suggested venlafaxine but I take theophylline for my asthma so I can’t.Hoping to start acupuncture when lockdown is lifted to see if this will help.

sending hugs 💕💜

Sparkle54

Hi everyone, 

Thank you so much for highlighting this issue. I thought it was just me being impatient and hating my new curly grey very soft baby hair. Don't get me wrong I am so glad somethings growing its just difficult to like. I did dye mine purple but that's just a out faded out now. I still cover my head with a scarf when out for my daily walk as I have zero confidence these days. 

I know I am impatient and I do know my body has been through a lot and is trying to recover still so I do feel ungrateful when I look in the mirror and don't like what I see or recognise myself. There will be an end. Our hair will improve but it is a struggle. 

Take care everyone. 🤗🤗💕

gem333

I’m glad it’s not just me feeling that way 😅

jowels

Hi Gem

i totally agree with you about the identity thing.I have a had a few off weeks and have realised it’s going to take time to adjust i suppose 

it’s certainly not easy for sure and hard for others who haven’t experienced what we have ♥️
we are strong and will get there ♥️

gem333

Hi,

yes mine was so so grey and I have a mix of straight and wavy/curly bits 🤦🏻‍♀️

I asked my hairdresser and she ordered me a Wells Demi-permanent which I used to use. It took two coverings but the grey has gone!

im still struggling with the random hair growth shape,

This year has been so tough hasn’t it? Refinding my identity feels like a bit of a task still - I’m impatient wiry being patient...

anyway, I hope you’re both good? Xxx

jowels

Hi shefgirl and Gem 

great about the hair 

mine also growing and I have always had long straight hair and it’s so so curly now!

I tried a henna based dye but it washed out after second wash.I did a lot of reading up and thought I’ll just try Olia in dark brown as that’s my usual colour and only left it on for 20 mins -it was good and my hair been fine.ordered mine from Amazon.I also rarely wore my wig as it just made me too hot and with that and the flushes argh!

hope this helps 💕

Let’s hope we can been out of sodden shielding and lockdown soon 

lots of love xxxx

Shefgirl

Hi Gem

oh exciting that your hair is growing back! I bought a wig but never wore it in the end because of lockdown and not going anywhere other than the hospital. 

Mine is also growing back slowly, although a completely different texture (chemo curl) and very very grey! I really don’t look like me 🙄 

I am also thinking of colouring but wondered if you had any tips about which brand to use etc? I’ve coloured it in the past but feeling anxious about damaging it given it’s taken so long to grow! 

Thanks so much xx 

gem333

Yes, surely they’ll give you your second soon 🤞 

thanks for the luck for the bee job both of you! It’s interesting that they’ll let me ease in...I’ve never had that in a job before 🤣

Lets hope soon there’s an end to home working and we can be with people again. What a year!

oh and my hair is growing back! Woo hoo! I’m going to colour it again today. It grew back so grey and one semi has done a great job but not perfect...I’m looking forward to not wearing my wigs as it’s so hot especially if I have to go out and I’m double masking 🥵

Take care and keep in touch 🤗

gem xxx

lots of love 

gem333

Hello! Yay glad you’ve had it!!

yes I had it last Saturday and I was the same, chills and headaches but ok now.

so glad to hear you’re all ok 😘

jowels

Shefgirl 

pleased you managed to get your vaccine great news.Glad you were ok with it afterwards too.

I had my Pfizer one through work on 21st Dec and is due now for second but they are stalling with giving the second one.really frustrating so hope to get it sorted but who knows.Shieldng in place until end of March so I’m hoping I can return physically to work as opposed to this home working!

sending  hugs and love to you all ❤️💜

jowels

Gem good luck for start of new job next week lovely ☺️ x

Shefgirl

Best of luck with the new job Gem. Will keep everything crossed for you x 

Had my first AZ jab last week in my thigh because of lymphodema risk - very sore for a few days afterwards and a few flu like symptoms but delighted to have had it. 

Has everyone else had an opportunity to have the vaccine yet? 

Hope all doing well xx 

gem333

Hi, I hope you’re doing ok? Yes, the vaccine feels like the start of life opening up again which is exciting!

sorry it took so long to reply, homeschooling and working has been tough so this week I’ve been having an attempt at a chill out ☺️

New job starts Monday so 🙏🤞and private counselling has picked up so I’m trying to make sure I don’t get too busy or stressed...feel great about the change though 👏

take care,

gemxxx

Shefgirl

Hi Gem and Jowels and thanks so much for your lovely messages and support. It means a lot 😘

Your new job sounds really interesting Gem... hope that it is everything you hope for and more x 

Hope all is good with you too Jowels and doing ok balancing work and home schooling. 

I am excited to get my first cv19 vaccine jab next week ... hopefully the start of a return to “normality” at some later point this year. 

Take care and keep safe. 

Lots of love xx 

gem333

Hello lovely!

ahh so frustrating about your reconstruction and radiotherapy nipple but thank God it is fixable and they have no further concerns - it’s tough to think there is more on the horizon but I guess at least it’s to help your boob look like you want it 😊

I think it’s great you might have options with work and talking to Occ Health sounds I’ll it’ll be a good place to start...

Going back to my SENCo job and trying to homeschool just brought on sooo much stress. I decided something had to give abd this time it wasn’t going to be my body or mind...

Thanks, part of the job, the biggest bit is a mental health support worker, the other bit potentially assessing adults for Autism (I’ve run an Autism support centre for 7 years) so that’ll be an interesting extension to that.

Then I’m private counselling too which I love!!!

Big hugs to you all...xx

jowels

Shefgirl lush to hear from you ♥️
thank you I’m over the moon.

ah what a time of it you have had, can’t imagine the worry 😫

god bloody radiotherapy is amazing but doesn’t half have a lot to answer for!

Think we are all suffering from its effects in some way!

so pleased surgeon thinks they can fix this, brilliant news.I know it’s not great the idea of more surgery,but you have been through worse and got through.

I can understand what you mean about return to work-you just go with your gut and remember it’s your decision.

Sending lots of love and hugs 🤗 x

jowels

Thank you Gem I’m so happy 😀 

ah congrats on the new job, lovely new chapter for you ♥️Sending hugs x

Shefgirl

Hey everyone!

What wonderful news Jowels!  So happy for you! 😍 How are you doing?  Are you managing with work and home schooling etc?  Can't imagine how hard that is to juggle! 

And congratulations Gem on your new job - brilliant to have secured a new post in this economic climate and whilst you've been dealing with so much. What's your new role involve?

Well as you may recall I also got the all clear from my mammogram back in December although things have not gone completely smoothly! 1 week before the mammogram was due I realised that I had an inverted nipple on the "bad" breast.  I called BCN who advised going to mammogram anyway and get the results.  As you can imagine I was thinking the worse! The radiologist was fantastic and she got me an appointment to see a Consultant the following week.  Long story short....found out on Friday that the nipple inversion is due to radiotherapy effects and the fat necrosis issue I had after surgery.  Sadly, the reconstruction I had done at the same time that the cancer was removed has failed.

To my astonishment, the breast surgeon believes it is fixable by injecting fat into the breast from my stomach etc - liposuction!  They won't do anything at the moment as the effects of radiotherapy can take a year to settle down, and obviously because of covid restrictions - but hopefully later in the year.  

I obviously am not relishing further surgery but happy that they think it is fixable as to be honest it doesn't look great!  

This has left me with a bit of a dilemma about work and whether to start back knowing I will have to be off again later in the year or whether to look at early retirement options.  They want to refer me to Occupational Health so I guess I will see how that goes.

Anyway - thanks for listening; not many places I feel able to share like this

Lots of love to everyone xx 

gem333

Hi! That’s just incredible news!!! I’m soooooo chuffed for you 🥰

im not sure when mine will be - I was diagnosed at the start of Feb last year so any time I guess...I’m still super tender from surgery and radio and hormone shifts as the menopausal symptoms stopped and my period has returned.

I handed my notice into school on Friday...it feels strange...21 years in education but I’ll he so happy to leave the stresses behind.  New job for the NHS starts at the end of Feb and they might even have an extra day’s work 🙏🥳

I hope you are all well! Big hugs,

gem xx

jowels

Hi everyone 

hope you are all doing ok?

tracy were you ok with your vaccine?

amazing news arrived today -my mammomgram showed no areas of concern.What a relief!

I still may be having mri but don’t know as yet.For now I’m going to enjoy this huge win 🥳🥳🥳🥳♥️
sending love to you all x

jowels

Gem, I’m sending you a hug for your home schooling it’s such a challenge.I was thinking yesterday ah how long until half term 😂

I had my review with my surgeon and had mammogram yesterday-it was quite painful as I’m still sore after radiotherapy but all done now.They said it will be 2-3 weeks for results to come in post.

I may be having a mri as (my tumour didn’t show on my first mammogram when I was getting diagnosed) also, but they have to discuss at MDT for that so I’ll just wait for appointment.I feel reassured that it’s over with and putting it to the back of my mind until results come.

Hope everyone is ok.

Good luck for covid vaccine Tracy 

lots of love x

gem333

I hope the vaccine goes well I’m sure and hope it’ll be ok 🤞🤗

Ahhh it’s still a weird world to be recovering in isn’t it?!?! 

yes the hot flush stop was strange but at least I can sleep now! I’m hoping my periods are done now and as my breast cancer wasn’t hormonal I don’t have any meds so I’m trying to look after my body.

Im noticing that stress is still an issue so this week I think I’m going to have to home school during the week and do my school work at the weekend as I just can’t do it alongside homeschooling - my child is dyslexic so homeschooling (so more reading and personal organisation) is very tough for him.

Counselling is fab though 🥳 and can’t wait for new job!

Big hugs to you all ❤️

jowels

Thank you Tracy ♥️ Be so glad once it’s done and have the results.
so sorry to hear about your infected finger,hope it improves soon.

good luck for your covid vaccine also.

sending hugs ♥️

tmmorriss

Hi everyone and a belated Happy New Year

Congrats on the running Jowels.  I was so nervous before my mammogram but the lady who did it was lovely and the results came in about a week rather than the two weeks I’d been told to expect. Like you I did some reading about it beforehand and scanxiety is quite common. Hoping it goes okay for you. It must be tough home schooling while working from home. 
Congrats on the new job and your private counselling work Gem.  Also hope your scan goes okay  

I’ve got my first covid vaccine on Thursday this week.  Slightly nervous because I don’t like needles.  I also had to check if it was okay to go ahead with an infected finger.  Had to have it lanced on Friday and applying antibiotic cream as my immune system isn’t doing a good job of fighting it even with oral antibiotics.  
Sending love and hugs to all

Tracy 💖🌹🌈

jowels

Gem

thank you-it’s certainly keeping my head in a better place.Well done on your yoga.I’ve been doing more yoga with my son inbetween the home schooling-which is a massive challenge on top of my hubby and I working from home.

a massive well done on your new job 🥳

The counselling sounds very positive too ♥️
that’s brill about your flushes.I’m finding them a bit less now but it changes all the time.I also had two periods but no more since.Who knows how it will go,as got to be on tamoxifen for 10 years.

thank you for your good luck wishes lovely,I’m really nervous today.I did some reading about it on bcn and Macmillan and it seems very common to feel like this so I know we aren’t alone.Some say that it gets easier as time goes on.I’m hoping so.

sending love to everyone 💓

gem333

Hi, Happy Nee Year to you too! 

ahh well done on the running! That’s fab! I’m back working everyday again so yoga first thing and a walk each day if I can - slowly, slowly getting more energy.

weirdly I was having really intense hot flushes brought on from the chemo induced menopause...then literally exactly 6 months from my past chemo they stopped! Brilliant but strange! 

I have a new job starting at the end of Feb...I cannot wait to get out of education now...it’s just insane! And rebuilding my private counselling too which has been a joy!

good luck with your mammogram 🤗 I’m half looking forward to it (for hopeful reassurance) and half not (as I’m sure you get)...

Thats great you’ve had one injection, I hope the next is soon!

I think I’ll get one through my new job faster than waiting but we’ll see.

take care everyone 🤗🥰

jowels

Hi everyone 

belated happy new year to you all ♥️
how is everyone getting on?

Im back to hospital next week for mammogram and review so can’t say I’m looking forward to that but needs must.

on the plus side I’ve had one covid vaccine before Christmas but they cancelled my second so still not exactly safe but getting there I guess!

still working on my running and did 7km yesterday so was really pleased.

sending lots of love to you all xx

Sparkle54

Happy Christmas everyone.

And hoping you all have a much nicer 2021.

🎅💕🎄🎁

Natxx

gem333

Ah thanks lovely! I hopefully hear today 🤞

big hugs everyone and Happy Christmas 🎄 xx

gem333

I bet he is 🥰 

2021 will be better xxx

jowels

Gem good luck with your new job venture  ♥️
thanks for the recommendation for ruby wax book I’ll take a look xx

jowels

Gem thank you lovely -he is so excited ♥️

Ah I know it’s been a crazy time hasn’t it.hoping next year will have lots of lovely things for us ♥️

jowels

Tracy,I’m so sorry to hear about your hubby.Hope he can improve soon and you are able to start looking forward.Excellent news about your mammogram 🥰 sending you lots of hugs.xxxx

Shefgirl

On a more positive note - great that your mammogram was clear Tracy 🙂

Shefgirl

So sorry to read this Tracy!

Wishing your hubby a speedy recovery and that you keep safe and well. 

2020 - what a 💩 year!!

Take care xxx 

gem333

Tracy oh f f s ☹️

so, so sorry to hear that! Ahhhh there are no words...I hope that he pulls through it quickly and the rest of you stay safe from it.

2021 will have to be a year of a double Christmas and holidays and life ❤️

sending lots of love xx

tmmorriss

Hi everyone, 

Well 2020 has thrown our family yet another curveball as if going through breast cancer treatment during a global pandemic wasn’t bad enough. My hubby has just tested positive for coronavirus so we’re isolating until 28th December. We’re not sure if he caught it from our 6 year old daughter who had to isolate recently because someone in her class bubble tested positive although she didn’t show any symptoms herself. It’s ironic because we’ve been so careful. He’s working from home and only goes out to get shopping we need at quiet times of the day. Not how I’d envisioned spending this Christmas but I’ve managed to get a local fruit and veg shop to deliver to us on Tuesday and a friend dropping by a few essential items as I couldn’t get a supermarket food delivery until 27th December for obvious reasons. My 85 year old mum is upset but understands why we won’t be spending Christmas together this year. On a positive note my mammogram results came back clear although I don’t feel like celebrating at the mo. I’ve never seen my hubby so ill. He’s sleeping on the sofa and we’re staying in separate parts of the house as I’m technically still shielding until 22nd December. 
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and all the best for 2021. 
love and hugs

Tracy 🌹💖🌈

gem333

Jowels,

I hope your son has a lovely birthday on Christmas Eve and yes, we’re very lucky to be here! ❤️🥰❤️

What a bloody year!!! 

gem333

Shef girl yes a gorgeous beach! I used to live in the beautiful Peak District (Glossop) which I loved too but my soul called for the sea so I moved down here about 9 1/2 years ago.

The tough but with COVID is that all my family are up North ☹️ I can wait to see them or for a hug once we’ve all had the vaccine 🥰x