Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March 2020 Chemo Starters

931 REPLIES 931
Highlighted

Re: March 2020 Chemo Starters

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for posting that link. I read it and thought WOW somebody gets it.

Lumpectomy went well thanks, had some cording and a large seroma but a few days on a narrow boat and lock opening/closing soon got rid of those.💪

I cant tell if my normal hair is coming through or not, I have very soft peach fuzz, and it's quite thin so I can still see my scalp at the front. The advice about shaving it off sounds ogical but not sure I am brave enough. The first time was bad enough.

Got my first ever tattoos yesterday 😃 I am thrilled always wanted a tattoo, ok they may not be the real deal they are just dots ready for my radiotherapy but they are permanent and start small I say.

Hoping to add to the family now that my daughter has moved up to Manchester to start uni by getting a new rescue greyhound tomorrow. Have had 2 greyhounds over the years and absolutley love them. can't wait.  I intend to fill my empty nest with animals.🐶

Good to hear everyones doing well and getting through this.

Take care everyone.

🤗💕

Nat 

Highlighted

Hi everyone,

sorry it’s been a while. Don’t know where the time has gone!

Shefgirl - the complimentary therapy sounds amazing. 
Nat - hope you’re healing well after the lumpectomy.

Sally - congrats on your couch to 5k. Hope your hubby is feeling better. 
Jowels - lovely that you managed to get away. How’s your son finding being back at school? Isabella has been put into a support group one afternoon a week and is really enjoying it. Her teacher felt she needed it because she was only mixing with a small group of friends and seemed to be lacking in self confidence/self esteem. 
Gem - glad to hear that your BRCA results were negative. 
Hugs to all you ladies coping with hot flushes and hormone therapy. 

I’ve only got 3 more injections of herceptin to go and I’m counting down. The side effects are negligible compared to chemo but it’ll be nice not to have a metallic taste in my mouth once it’s finished. 
I had a bit of a scare a couple of weeks back because I could feel hard tissue in my left breast about 1.5 inches away from the scar. Luckily my breast care nurse brought my follow up appointment to see my surgeon forward and so relieved that it’s only scar tissue inside. I’ve only noticed it recently but he did a thorough examination of both breasts and said there’s nothing to worry about. My follow up has been changed due to covid going forward. In the past it was regular appointments to see my surgeon every couple of months for the first year but now they’ve changed it to open access. They’re trying to reduce unnecessary risks with people coming into hospital so I’ll only see the surgeon if I contact the breast care nurse about any concerns and she’ll arrange an appointment if needed. I’ve also been advised that my first yearly mammogram is likely to be delayed due to a backlog but I can contact my breast care nurse if I haven’t had it by February (surgery in January). 
I’ve been advised to get my head shaved once my hair grows back about half an inch but to wait until the end of treatment. One of the nurses on the chemo ward who does my herceptin injection has had cancer herself twice and was given that advice by an hairdresser so that her hair would grow back thicker. My hair still looks like baby hair at the mo and is very patchy. Thank goodness for nice hats and my wig although I’ve only worn it a couple of times. My daughter doesn’t like it as she says it’s not the right colour and doesn’t look like me. 
I don’t think I’d realised how long it would take to get back to ‘normal’ whatever that may be now. 
I found this on another page on this site and thought it might help 

http://www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what...

Wishing you all well

Hugs

Tracy 🌈🌹💖

Highlighted

Brilliant news Gem! So pleased for you 😘👏👏😍

Highlighted

Gem

So pleased to hear your BRCA results were negative. That is fantastic news yay 😀 🎉🥂🍾👏👏👏. That must make a massive difference to how you feel about things and the future. 

We do still need things to lean on. Yoga for me too. So glad you are getting out there a bit more and the allotment and beach hut sounds great. Enjoy 😉.   So don’t rush to back work. Enjoy whatever you can. 

Take care. 😘 

Highlighted

I love this. ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ 🤣🤣🤣

Highlighted

Shefgirl. So pleased you are getting out more now. It is so lovely to catch up with friends isn’t it?

All the treatment definitely affects how we look. I hate my body after surgery. I feel unrecognisable.  I shouldn’t complain as I didn’t lose all my hair but it is extremely thin and none of the stuff I lost is growing back on my head at all. It’s 3 months since I finished chemo but the chemo nurse said this is the last bit of hair to grow back. 

So enjoy the bucket hat and get out there and see your friends. It’s tough and the complimentary therapy. That sounds really great. 

Take care. 😘 

Highlighted

Jowels. Well done on losing your weight. 👏👏👏👏

i did lose half a stone and have been trying to lose some more but I seem to be stalling. I’ll start again next week. We decided to take advantage of they good weather so went away for a few nights which was lovely. 

I think my fatigue is lessening but I still do not have the energy levels I did have. This is all going to take time. 

You take cate. 😘 

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Gem 👍❤️Great news 👍 💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Morning all 💓

Amazing news Gem I’m so pleased for you 💐🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

such a relief 🥰

sounds like you have been taking some really postive steps well done 👍 

Alotment sounds fabulous- enjoy it 💖

im with you on not getting back to work too soon.Unfortuatley the latest news for us is that we are restricted with our movements again so feel like it’s a backward step as some selfish people can’t adhere to the rules therefore we all suffer.Its frustrating for us as id just started doing bits now I’ll be stuck back in the house again.What can we do though .

anyway sending lots of love to everyone 💖♥️

Highlighted

Hi everyone ☺️

So I got my BRCA results back and they are negative to problems with the gene which is incredible...i was fearing more surgery and reconstruction so that is such a relief!

ive been going out a bit more too..,to bigger shops and seeing friends in gardens or on distanced walks...It’s been great!

yes you are right I do think we need things to lean on. Mine are yoga, breathing work and I’ve bought two necklaces that have precious stones to help with healing and calming and I really do think they are helping.

I’ve still not shifted into lighthearted me but I think that’s because I was so tightly curled up (metaphorically) trying time protect myself for so long..,I’m guessing it’ll take months to uncurl and show my vulnerability some air but that’s ok and understandable.

ive taken one the allotment with my neighbour and I’m hopefully picking up a beach hut for it on Saturday 🥳🤣 It’s on Paignton beach here in Devon so I’m super excited! 

I’m staying away from work as long as I can eek the money out for - I heard from a colleague yesterday and it sounds crazily stressful and I’m not putting myself back into that too early! Still working on a longer term exit plan.

i hope you are all enjoying this beautiful weather which is amazing until a hot flush happens!! I’m also waking in the night and having to run freezing water over my wrists, neck and face so when I get into the bedroom the fan cools me off again,

Big hugs to you all - we are warriors 😘

Highlighted

I love this!!! X

Highlighted

hi Shefgirl
lush to hear from you too 💓

thank you yes I’m just taking one day at a time.So pleased you have had complimentary therapy and it has helped 🥰

I know what you mean sleep,hot flushes are the bloomin pits!

im booked into a moving forward course on 5th October which I’m looking forward to.Until then just enjoying what I can and living in the moment 🥰

Sending hugs and love and you are so right we should be incredibly proud of ourselves xxxxx

Highlighted

4898D36F-ACDA-4340-A6C6-5A19E859926A.jpeg

Highlighted

Hi Jowels. Great to hear from you! Very pleased that you are going out a bit more and slowly building back your confidence. Great too that you are out running. Diagnosis and treatment really does knock self esteem doesn’t it and we just don’t look the same either! 

I too have been out a little more including some alfresco meals. And had a friend over for a garden visit. Lovely to feel a bit more normal! 

My hair is slowly returning but it still isn’t long enough to go out without a hat or scarf. I got myself a bucket hat which my daughter is eyeing up! Never thought I’d be wearing something she is coveting 🤣🤣

I have just finished 5 weeks of complimentary therapy which was fantastic and has really helped with anxiety and overall mood. I found reiki healing particularly beneficial and had the best nights sleep - 9 hours straight! Sleep generally is not great; either awake because of night sweats or head spinning...fortunately not planning to go back to work for a while but it would be nice not to see 5am each morning! 

Anyway, hope everyone is taking it easy and easing yourself back into the new “normal” after such an intense period of appointments and treatment. We should all be so proud of ourselves 😘👏👏 but also cut ourselves a bit of slack ❤️❤️

Breast cancer is traumatic and it is really hard to just pick up from where we left off. 

Take care everyone x 

Highlighted

Good morning all how we all doing?
Hope we are all managing to feel a little better in ourselves.I know there will always be good and bad days for us all ❤️

I know the Covid situation is still a real worry but I have started getting out and about a little to increase my confidence before going back to work.I have been for an eye test to get new glasses to match my new hair!

I’m getting used to my new normal a little but a lot to adjust to that’s for sure!

Sticking to slimming world and have lost 1kg this week so im over the moon.Im also running  Quite a bit which I’m a lot slower than I used to be  but I’m ok With that.

Its a hard one, as I think im gaining a bit more confidence but am also aware that we may get put back into a lockdown again! I guess we can’t control that.

sending you all love 💕 

Highlighted

Sally thank you for your lovely message ❤️Think you are right about allowing time to be able to recover.I hope to be able to have some quiet time once my son back at school.Get back to my running and cooking routine.Its been full on with home schooling our son 😂

how is your hubby doing?💖

Highlighted

Hi Jowels. How lovely that you managed to get away. You so deserve it and I do hope you and your family share some lovely times. Yes it does feel weird looking at yourself in the mirror. It just isn’t you and that is somewhat disarming. Doesn’t help with the confidence levels at all does it. 

I do hope your son’s return goes smoothly. I don’t blame you for feeling nervous. It is all so weird. Strange times. So it’s good that your CBT and yoga help. We all need stuff to lean on. I am doing yoga everyday now which is new to me but my goodness it helps calm me. That is one good thing I have picked up from all this. 

Feel stuck too. I think I’m a bit numb and trying to pretend it’s all fine but the reality comes out to bite you every so often doesn’t it. I think you need to give yourself lots of time to recover both psychologically and physically. The fatigue just goes on and on  

Enjoy your last few days in Italy. Have a great time and do take care. Sending love. Sally 

Highlighted

Thanks Gem

Don’t blame you for taking your time to return to work. I think I might have gone back too soon as my energy levels ended up going backwards. I still can’t work beyond midday - I just get so tired. And that’s only for 3 mornings a week. It all takes time. 

I so know what you mean about hair and eyebrows/ eyelashes etc. My hair on my head still isn’t growing back but I shouldn’t complain as not all of it fell out. I was told it would be the last to grow back tho. Makes me feel old and ugly but I too paint on the eyebrows and some eyeliner if I’m going out. It just feels wrong. It’s not me but what choice do we have. Still trying to shift another half stone too. It all takes time. That is so unlike me too I am so impatient  

I am so sorry you still have to wait for your BRCA test results. I think waiting to find out results is the worst thing. Of course you can’t move on while that is still hanging over you.  So you take care and build up your strength slowly. Lovely to hear from you and look after yourself. 😘. Sally

Highlighted

Hi everyone 

Sally well done on your 5km excellent achievement 🎉

Sally So sorry to hear  about your hubby being poorly.Totally understandable to have tears for sure.Hope he improves soon ❤️ You could certainly do with some good luck soon lovely.
gem I totally agree with feeling stuck emotionally and psychologically.
im writing this post from Italy as we decided to come away to a place we know and love with far less Covid 19 than where we live in uk.Its been a real tonic but in all honesty I just feel so not like me. I’ve worn my wig a few times but I just look in the mirror and think who is that! There is so much to get used to isnt there!As I had a mammoplasty when I had my cancer removed I’m now not even so that’s making clothes difficult and as I can’t wear a bra as yet not helping.Im still getting pretty tired each day but hoping that will improve soon. 
re school my son returns on Monday which I’m pretty anxious about but can’t do anything other.He is so keen to go back and I know he needs it but I’m so anxious about Covid 19 on top of recovering from treatment I’m also asthmatic and don’t normally fare well in winter especially.My son is so good with hand hygiene but it’s the other children that aren’t is a worry.

all that said, I’m taking one day at a time and accepting I’ll have bad days.Im still having CBT over the phone which is my life line.Ive been doing my yoga also which is calming me.

gem, I still have weight to shift which seems to be harder than ever but guess tamoxifen slowing it all down.
Im so pleased to be finished chemo and radiotherapy but maybe I underestimated how I’d feel now,taking tamoxifen and trying to find a new normal.

anyway sending you all lots of hugs and love 💓 we will get there xxxxx

Highlighted

Hi Jowels, Sally, everyone.

So glad you’re skin is improving Jowels and well done on the couch to 5k that’s amazing Sally!

I hope your husband is doing ok? And I think it’s totally understandable that you panicked and your brain raced off to catastrophe- gentle words to yourself in understanding that and time will help 🤗 

i know what you mean about time passing I had my last radiotherapy on the 12th August.

I’m slowly picking up energy and more able to do things...but psychologically still stuck/struggling as I’m waiting for the BRCA gene results still and it’s hard to rest or move forward with that hanging over my head...also I’ve still got half a stone to shift and alongside A few hairs as eyebrows and eyelashes and a fine covering of hair that part of me feels rubbish. All I can do is put my false eyelashes on, my wig and pencil in my eyebrows- but I still feel flat...not like me.

Going to try to take some time to rebuild before I try work - I can do more things but then get tired after so thinking of work and real life tasks and admin is a step too far at the moment.

take care everyone 

Gem xxx

Highlighted

Hi lovelies. How are you all doing?  I hope you are all improving. 😘 

Jowels how are you? Glad you are feeling less sore after rads. I do hope you do get used to Tamoxifen and it isn’t too awful. It’s all so hard. Your body has been hit by a bus. Repeatedly and then tamoxifen 😩

I think it will takes ages for all of us to remember what normal feels like. I really am beginning to feel a lot better but I really do have to pace myself. Even though I can now run for 30 mins (just finished couch to 5k - 9 weeks - where did all that time go) I cannot go a whole day without a rest of some sort. So definitely not back to normal. 

Plus I know psychologically I’m changed forever, as well as physically. We were meant to go away for a few days. I booked it when nearly finishing chemo to have something to look forward to once I was feeling better. But the morning I was packing things for the car I had to take hubby to A&E with abdominal pains. He’s currently in hospital on a lot of morphine and antibiotics for a badly inflamed gall bladder. But before I got the diagnosis I was terrified it was cancer and before I knew where I was I was in floods of tears thinking about his funeral and what I was going to do with the rest of my life. 

I am trying so hard to be positive about everything and rushing to get on with life but the reality is I am changed. 

Thank god he’s going to be okay. He’s turned the tables on me tho. Now I have to be nurse. 😂😂😂

So it’s strange how our minds work and it is all so scary out there still I darent even think about COVID. 

How are you all coping with sending kids back to school?

sending love to all. 

Sally

Highlighted

Hi lovelies 

how is everyone doing?

im feeling a lot less sore 5 weeks post radiotherapy.Still keeping an eye on my skin though.Ive been on Tamoxifen for just over a month now and think slowly getting a bit more used to it.

Having up and down days energy and mood wise.Sure everyone feeling the same.

Sending lots of hugs 💓💖

Highlighted

Sorry sent the message too soon!

salsa sorry to hear about your bp -no wonder you are tired with that on top of recovering.big hugs x

Highlighted

Hi salsa and everyone 

lush to hear from you. I totally know what you mean about it being surreal.Such a huge well done re work.im still shattered a lot but enjoying what I can.Have done a couple of runs which has been good but hard at same time!😂

I’m still suffering with tamoxifen and the sleep is so broken but just hope it settles soon as i know it’s hindering my recovery.

with regards to eyebrows everyone :

I got mine microbladed prior to treatment and I’m going to get them topped up soon.What about looking at this,it’s a bit uncomfortable getting it done but lasts up to one year and no more pencils.Hope this may be of some help.💜

sending hugs 

Highlighted

Hello everyone. So sorry for the radio silence. It all feels a bit unreal and I haven’t quite got my head around things.  I was feeling so much better I started back at work.  Even though it’s only been a few mornings a week it’s left me feeling really tired. Back to an afternoon rest every day. Still on herceptin and have next ECG in sept.  Had to do my blood pressure every day for 3 weeks as it was so low.  But I always have low blood pressure but they worry about it with herceptin.  It’s all fine tho now apparently according to the other nurse 🤷🏻‍♀️

Sorry to hear you’ve suffered so with tamoxifen Jowels. Sleep deprivation is a recognised form of torture. Hope things improve for you soon. 

Nat I hope your surgery has gone well. Hanging around and waiting for the news is pain. Don’t rush back to work too soon. You don’t realise how tired you will be once you start doing something.

Gem I too painted eyebrows on and they didn’t look too bad. Can’t think of false eyelashes and the eyeliner doesn’t really look like mascara but it’ll have to do.  I’m really lucky as I didn’t lose all my hair with the cold cap but the hair on my head that did fall out is not growing back at all.  So I still have a bald patch at the top of my head. The nurse said to me that’s the last bit to grow back. The silk scarf sounds good. Nice and cool.  Love the Bert and Ernie comment 🤣

Shefgirl  lovely sunflower 🌻. Well done. Sorry you’ve suffered so with rads.  I hope it starts easing soon  

Sending lots of love to all of you.  I hope you manage to enjoy life more now.  It’s so hard as I don’t believe we shouldn’t still be shielding  

take care all of you  Sally 😘🤗 💕 

Highlighted

Hi Nat,

I’ve been using an eyebrow ‘pencil‘ with a slant (It was from Superdrug) and I can actually make real eyebrows and not just Bert and Ernie style 🤣

Also, I’ve been using false eyelashes as I was getting really watery eyes without lashes and it makes me feel that I look slightly less like an egg/alien...liquid liner on the top helps too.

Oh and using a silk scarf under my baseball cap stops my head from being sore and I can almost pretend that the long bit of my scarf that goes over my shoulder a bit is my hair 🥰

Highlighted

Hi Jowels,

I'm hoping the surgery went well, am sure I would have been told if it hadn't. This may sound odd but I didn't get any info when I came round. Had the op about 2 in the aftetnoon, came round about 4:30 was home by 6,and didn't get any food so got a McDonald's on the way home. 

I get the results via a phone call on 3rd Sept.

I do feel fine though a bit sore very bruised but feeling ok. Got a 2 week sick note from GP so aim to start work on a phased return basis 31st. 

Like many of you I have not been out apart for medical stuff since March and am a bit reticent. Walking round the house bald is one thing going out among people with a scarf on, no lashes or eyebrows is another and a very scary thought. Must have watched hundreds of YouTube videos on how to do eyebrows but I just look like I've stuck some strange caterpillars onto my face when I try.😬

rads due in October but until then normal life is approaching.This horrendous journey will soon be over after so long and strangely I'm not sure how I'm feeling about it.

Sorry for going on and on.

Take care everyone.💕

Nat xx

Highlighted

Hi,

I’ve only had a couple of drinks and seem to have been fine but the shandy I had just had a tiny bit of beer (for the taste) and loads of lemonade and the Prosecco seemed fine but I guess I was drinking in the garden at night so that might be helping? 

I’m not really drinking tea either- other than peppermint as I haven’t really felt like tea since chemo/radio.

With the rads I’ve been eating ‘cool’ foods and nothing spicy as I didn’t want to raise my internal temp any more than happens with the flushes and I’m wondering if that’s helped my skin??

I hope your flushes start to fade!!

well done on getting into the supermarket - I’ve not tried that yet but I think I’ll do the same and be there first thing in the morning or late at night too.

take care everyone 😘

Highlighted

Hi Gem and you everyone 

that’s great Gem  you aren’t suffering after rads hope it continues ❤️
hope you enjoyed your proseco last night.Do you find alcohol makes your flushes worse? I found it does so I’ve avoided it since my celebration day after i finished treatment.I haven’t really missed it to be honest.Ive also reduced my caffeine to two cups of tea.Not sure this has helped but got to try.

totally with you on not going into small shops.Im still doing small steps;like going into asda early or late at night when it’s quieter.Ive had a meal out at an Italian meal during the day when we were the only ones in -which was lovely but not sure I want to do it when there are others there! I’d love to start getting out and about more but it’s early days I guess!

hope everyone is doing ok 

sending hugs 💖

Highlighted

Shef girl you have and are doing amazingly and we’re all dealing with different things aren’t we in really weird circumstances!

I hate to say but I’ve no side effects from rads yet...apart from the tiredness...strange though...maybe it depends on the amount they give you...also mine was only 10 sessions over 2 1/2 weeks. I didn’t wear a bra from day 1 just in case it pressed too much on my boob...the oncologist did say if I did get soreness etc they expected the peak to be at 10 days after the last rads so here’s hoping those of you with SE they’ll be gone really soon!

Coconut oil sounds like a plan for scalp...my scalp gets soo dry and even with cold cap I only have a light covering of hair!!!

i think I still only have two eyelashes on each eye so on days I go out I wear falsies and my wig or a silk scarf and cap over it...it gives me confidence and no one looks twice...I’m learning to not give a monkeys if they did but no one I have seen thinks I look poorly so that’s the important bit for me...I’m getting good at eyebrows too 🤣🤣...thank God for slanted eyebrow pencils!!

wow! Your massage sounds incredible and I’m so glad you slept well after - it must have released sooo much tension. I think I had the best sleep when my son came back from his Dad’s on Friday. I knew he was back from France safely and I knew treatment was finished 👏👏

I don’t think I’ll go into any small shops for months but the big out of town one felt safe as there was so much space and going so early meant there was no one about but staff.

We’re doing so incredibly and we really should be super proud of ourselves. Even on my lower days when I can’t look at myself in the mirror I dig as deep as I can to ‘me’ and remember this time will pass.

The sunflower looks incredible!!! Well done...👏👏😊

Take care lovelies...I have my best friend coming to my garden tonight to share some Prosecco - it’ll be my proper first celebration of finishing nearly a week ago 🥳🥳🥳 xxx

Highlighted

Shefgirl love your sunflower 

my boys bought me some sunflowers today which was a lovely suprise 💖

re hair growth I’m massing coconut oil onto head and I’ve definitely noticed it helps and it is lovely for a little head massage.

so pleased I’ve had some relaxing time today.My Mam had my son so I spent all day watching box set and relaxing -bliss!

ive even got the energy to have a face mask tonight and do a bit yoga so that’s great given I normally go to bed soon after my son!  Such a rare treat to have such a relaxing day. 
hope everyone is ok and managing  some rest however you can get it.Thanks Shefgirl as you were so  right I had to just tell my family I needed help.💓

lots of love 💕 

Highlighted

Shefgirl 

your massage sounds amazing,well deserved.Could do with one myself for sure!

i like you haven’t wore a bra in I don’t know how long this needs to be the case and they haven’t said when I will be healed enough for me to wear one.I think I’ll leave it until I’m a month after Rads and ring them.Have you had any guidance about checking yourself?I have always examined myself but now my sensation is altered due to the tissue being displaced it’s a bit odd.I will ask about this also.im reading a book written by a gp who had breast cancer and moving forward which has a big section on this.

my mood is very up and down not helped by lack of sleep and hormonal changes but just trying to do one day at a time.

i still hate having little hair and no eye brows.I guess I miss the way I looked before all of this.

well done on making yourself have more contact with the outside world -I know it’s not easy but hopefully easiest the more we do.

sending hugs 💖

Highlighted

56E1E776-9010-477E-89DA-EE319854AE7B.jpeg

 p.s We managed to grow a sunflower for the first time ever! 

Highlighted

Hi Gem333

Well done on taking those small steps back to “normality”. I haven’t been in a shop since lockdown and probably won’t for a bit. I did go and see my sister the other day which was great... again not seen her since lockdown started as she is an hour away and a key worker. It was great to be able to talk in person rather than via a video call. 

I have been feeling quite anxious about going out or having people in my garden but know I need to and last week was a good start. 

I know what you mean about hating the lack of hair. I think because my chemo started in February I could wear lots of hats and it not be an issue. Now it is warmer I do feel more conscious about being bald and maybe this is also part of my reticence about going out. I can’t hide the fact that I am a cancer patient- and my appearance announces it to the whole world- whether I want people to know or not! I do have a wig but not dared wear it out yet...another milestone to cross! 

Jowels- sorry to hear you are struggling with lack of sleep and rads pains. Good on you for asking for help .. it is not easy but has to be done!

My boob is quite red and sore and I get stabbing pains which the radiologist said is damage to nerve endings. I can’t wear a bra as scar line is very red due to rads so yes it is uncomfortable and a bit limiting. But like everything... it will eventually settle down. At least the skin has not broken open again which is a massive relief! 

I was lucky enough to have a head, neck and shoulder massage last week via my hospital...it was fab! And I had the best night sleep probably since diagnosis! Hope to have reflexology before my next Herceptin injection on Weds. 

Thinking of everyone and how well we have done to get this far during such a difficult time.

Take care everyone and stay safe

❤️❤️

Highlighted

Hi Jowels, and everyone!

i hope you’re all doing ok?

Nat I hope surgery went really well!

Jowels if it helps I’m nowhere near able to think about work...o had some days of exhaustion and the hot flushes are so weird - I have to get up and run my wrists under the cold tap...then cover myself with cold water and turn the fan back on by the bed...but it does seem to help!

I’ve concentrated on having some lovely things to do...my son can’t back from France and got back just before quarantine regulations thank God...I hadn’t seen him since the start of June and hadn’t hugged him since his 13th birthday on the 24th March...the day of my first chemo.

We have our cat coming on Friday and I’ve seen three of my best friends in their gardens over the past week since finishing radio on Wed. That was so lovely and have me a boost.

Today I got up super early and went into our massive B and Q...I am determined (by taking small steps) to try to live again...without being scared. But small steps is what I know I need to take to get there.

Its all such a lot isn’t it!?! I still hate having no hair, or eyelashes or eyebrows! Although, I have grown fine underarm hair (lovely 🤣) that I had to shave...so hoping we’re going in the right direction.

Lots of love to you all. Xxxx

Highlighted

Nat lovely 

how did it go?

hope you are back home and feeling ok.

hope everyone is doing ok I’ve been quite low the last few days,overwhelmed and exhausted.Sleep all to pot with the flushes and not being able to rest has hit me hard.However I’ve been very direct with my family and they are helping with childcare this week so I can get feet up 💜.

im quite sore from my radio with some spots now which isn’t great but I know temporary.
shefgirl how is yours after radio?hope you not too sore 💕

salsa how is work going ?i think you are doing amazing working already,I feel like I’m a very long way off being able to manage work and cope with the demands of it all.

sending you all hugs 🥰

Highlighted

Good luck Nat 

Hope it all goes smooth and quick for you and you get a good feed afterwards 😂

sending hugs ❤️

Highlighted

Hi Jowels,

Thanks feeling ok about surgery today. Will be going in for 10 this morning. Yesterday had the wire inserted and then went to the nuclear medicine dept ( love the name of this dept) to have the dye injection. All went fine.

No idea what time the op is or how long it lasts but hope they feed me after because I am starving. 😁

Take care 💕

Nat

Highlighted

Nat 

thank you lovely 💕I’m having a nap once a day when my hubby takes our son out on his bike/scooter.They definitely help.

ah I hadn’t realised re your surgery Friday.How you feeling about it? Sending you lots of good vibes and hope it all goes smooth.I had a therapeutic mamoplasty  and SNB but recovered ok.

Sending hugs ♥️

Highlighted

Hi Jowels,

Totally get the chemo brain thing, I

I've got chemo brain and menopause brain so there's no hope for me to be able to remember anything. 

My treatment started with chemo before surgery to shrink the tumour, in order to preserve as much of the breast as possible so I'm having a lumpectomy on Friday.

Hope your coping with the flushes and the hot weather combo, and getting time to nap.

💕 Nat

Highlighted

Shefgirl that’s great news about the complimentary therapies that will be great for you 💜

I take my tablet at night and wonder if this is helpful or not to be honest. I have two fans on either side of our bed and two chill max pillows that come out of fridge at bedtime.It doesn’t seem to matter what I do I’m still suffering.They are there during the day too but manageable day time I guess.

im only hoping that after a few months they reduce but my oncologist said as my estrogen was only 4/8 postive that I may not need to take it if my quality of life is affected.Ill keep on and try to remain positive about it.Its 10 years though so quite a while!!😂

Shefgirl your day with your sister sounds lovely.Ive been seeing my sister and niece again first time really since January so it’s great,especially for the children to play.You are totally right tho about spelling stuff out otherwise family think you are managing ok.

Hope you enjoy some garden time with your loved ones I’ve done that a few times❤️We are also doing trips to farm etc with my niece and that’s been lush.

i am enjoying doing more mentally but also very conscious my recovery will take time.Ive ordered a book about moving on from amazon so I’ll keep you all updated if there is some good advice.

sending lots of love ❤️❤️

Highlighted

Nat glad you got the swab done sorry to hear about the retching.Sorry if you have already said but what surgery you having on Friday?My brain is unable to retain any information!!

yes hot flushes are just the pits,I’m getting quite sleep deprived now so having to nap when I can in afternoon if my hubby can see to our son ❤️
Hugs 💓

Highlighted

Hi Jowels

Sorry to hear about your disturbed sleep... not helped by the heat either! 

I have been on Tamoxifen for over 2 years now and found it was a good few months for symptoms to settle. When do you take the pill? I only ask because at the start I was having lots of night sweats and nurse suggested taking tablet last thing at night rather than each morning... definitely worked for me.

I know that other women swear by a cool/chill pillow which I think you can buy on line. 

I also had joint pain, particularly in the knees and found exercise the best way to tackle this. 

Oh the joys of cancer eh! Hope you find something to help! 

My skin is also pink from rads and can’t wear anything apart from vest tops at the moment. Just grateful that rads could go ahead in the end. 

I am trying to pace myself and keep reminding myself that I have just completed 8 months of treatment and I don’t need to push myself to do things! I appreciate however that it is very difficult when you have a young child.... hope you are able to get some help and support. I have learnt that sometimes you need to spell out to those closest to you what you need from them rather than hoping they’ll offer! 

I am feeling really grateful at the moment...been offered some complimentary therapy through my hospital- 4 sessions in total. It’s a long story but really down to a wonderful nurse who supported me when I had my wobble during CT scan. The sessions are only just starting up again due to cv19 and she has got me included on the list...what a star 🌟 

I am sticking to staying at home at the moment although a day trip to see my sister is on the cards as we haven’t seen one another since February. I am also thinking about having people visit in the garden for the first time since lockdown...think it will help me find a new sense of “normal” although it does scare me a bit. 

What is everyone else up to? 

Hope you are all keeping safe and well xx 

Highlighted

Hi, Guys,

Thanks for sharing your covid swab experiences it really helped. Just had the test and took so long doing the throat swab because I was retching so much the poor nurse started getting sunburnt 😄 the nose bit I was ok with as didn't have to go too far up, I was expecting to have to try and jab my brain.

Jowels  with you on the hot flushes and night sweats, I had to stop taking my HRT for the 2 weeks running up to the op on Friday.

Massive hugs and 💕 to those of you who have to go cold turkey with menopause symptoms due to the hormone receptive type of breast cancer. 

Thanks again for all the advice given throughout all your journeys it is invaluable.

Take care and hope you can all enjoy a bit of sunshine.

Nat

Highlighted

Hi everyone 

how we all doing?

How is everyone doing with pacing?

Im now a week after radiotherapy and two weeks on Tamoxifen now.

Radiotherapy wise -skin sore and pink but not broken so I’ll take that 🥰

I’m absolutely shattered but suspect I’m not pacing as much as I should!

The hot flushes are getting steadily worse and my sleep interrupted every night usually 4/5 times.Consultant says the side effects may disappear in two months or not at all!so who knows!😂

sending love 💓 

Highlighted

Sparkle54...I’ve had two COVID swabs...it’s ok..,I kept my eyes shut for the nose bit. I couldn’t believe people could see my reactions as I had both of mine in a drive through tent 🤣

Highlighted

Shefgirl

so pleased to hear bulk of your sessions went ahead.Also a huge well done for the breathing hold it’s not easy I know. 🎉💖sending a massive Hug 🤗 

hope Herceptin goes ok for you.

re nails I use cuticle oil on hand and feet nails every night and have so far only lost one toe nail.Bodyshop also do a great pen which is almond that is also great.

enjoy whatever you can 💜

Highlighted

Hi everyone

Great advice on here as always. 

My nails are also a bit of a mess after chemo; they are stripped and brittle and I have a black toe nail! Not heard about apricot oil before so will have a look for that. 

I finished rads today after what some of you know has been a bit of a tricky path with delays due to skin/wound issues. Got go ahead on Monday to have another 3 sessions so have completed the 5 intense sessions now. I was due to have 5 booster sessions too but oncologist has decided not to proceed with these due to the risk of my skin breaking down again. Just relieved that bulk of rads could proceed and just Herceptin to go now. Rads staff were absolutely great and I managed the left hold breathing despite convincing myself I couldn’t do it!! 

So celebrated with a bit of gardening and an ice cream this afternoon! 🥳🤣🤣

Thinking of you all xx 

Highlighted

Hi Sparkle,

I also had the marker put in when they did the core needle biopsy but was told the guide wire was to help the surgeon find the marker and the tumour site in the operating theatre. The mammogram machine showed where the marker was so the guide wire was inserted in the right place. My consultant didn’t mention the scraping of cells along it although he might have done it while I was under general anaesthetic as mine was the same day. 
I haven’t had a Covid swab... yet. My surgery was in January (and then a 2nd WLE a couple of weeks later as they didn’t get clear margins and found invasive cancer after the original biopsy showed DCIS). But my 5 year old daughter starts back at school in September so I might have to at some point. Thanks for sharing your experiences of this Jowels. 
Hugs 🌈🌹💖

Tracy

Highlighted

Hi everyone 

hope we are all getting on ok.💖

Sparkle -you are getting there well done.so sorry about s-e absolutely grim but you are getting further ahead.

re covid swabs I’ve had 4 tests so far and they are unpleasant for a few seconds only thats it.You will think oh that was quick!

sending hugs ♥️