Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March 2022 Chemotherapy starters

maggiemoo

Re: 'mRe: March 2022 Chemotherapy starters

Hi @KimPa 

Glad you have made contact, and that you have finished chemo

My last one is Monday and then lymph nodes out on 23rd August, then they will decide about radiotherapy originally they said 3 weeks.

The hair I though was growing came out again after the last chemo, my nails aren't too bad just lots of white patches in them 

Stay in touch now and let us know how you get on

Hope everyone else is ok and you survived the heat xx

NickyC75

Hi @KimPa ,

Welcome to the group! I know it can be intimidating actually writing on a forum. So many times I go to write but think that I don’t want to sound miserable or why should people care. I must admit, this group has really helped me get through as it is the place that everyone understands. Friends and family are great but no one really understands unless they have had it. 

I know I have said it to everyone who mentions nails, but I really recommend the Polybalm (I ordered from Amazon). I used it on my hands and the nails are stronger than before chemo. I did not use it on my toes and it looks like I am going to lose every single toenail, except one. Great look for summer! 😡 my big toe actually lifted up yesterday 🤢 I hate toes normally. I wish I had used the Polybalm on my toes but thought they would be tougher. I played tennis during chemo so that probably finished them off. I will be using it well after chemo. 

My consultant has decided that I do not need radiotherapy. I feel I would have felt more comfortable having it to stop it ever returning. I suppose I just have to trust she knows what she is doing.

I have started Tamoxifen and still having Herceptin. So far, touch wood, I do not seem to have terrible effects, but it has only been 4 weeks.  I too have put on weight probably from being so inactive. I know I have played tennis but normally in my job I am on my feet all day and running around. I really admire your strength at managing to work throughout. I am thinking of doing a phased return in October but might see if I can go three days a week, at least until my Herceptin has finished in March next year. I am on half pay now. 🙈 

Like @ML2022 , I do get tired a lot but I feel I have not had a good run at it. I felt great for a week after chemo, then crashed and felt so exhausted for 2 weeks and then got Covid and was really poorly with it. I said to my husband that I feel like my body is falling apart! Managed a busy week last week - we went to the Great Yorkshire Show, to see Mama Mia and then Sheffield to visit friends. Am booking to go to Ireland to visit my sister in August between appointments.  I don’t know about you but I feel I have to do as much as I can when I can - I keep going 100mph and then crashing. I probably need to pace myself. 🙄 

I hope everyone still going through chemo, having radio and/or still trying to recover is doing well. I am sending you lots of loving, healing vibes. ❤️‍🩹 xxx

ML2022

Welcome, @KimPa! I guess this isn't exactly a club that anyone wants to belong to but happy to hear from you! Sounds like you're on the upswing after chemo even though there are definitely things that take longer than others to come  back to normal, like fingernails and eyebrows. I continued to lose eyebrows and lashes well after chemo was over. I'm now almost 2-1/2 months past chemo and while I'm generally feeling really good, there are still times when I suddenly realize that I'm utterly exhausted again and have to sit down for a while. I get a funny taste in my mouth and my legs hurt like crazy when that happens. And then it passes again.

Radiation has been pretty easy for me, I haven't had any side effects that bother me. I have 3 more whole-breast zappings to go (out of 16), and then 8 boosts. So far I still don't have any skin burns. Nipple is getting pretty tough and lumpy and the whole thing's a bit tender, but that's all.

I didn't have any nails lift off but I do still have a purple thumbnail and one purple toenail. Can't really advise you about protecting the nail bed. Cotton gloves, maybe?

Good on you that you can still work! I get that, about wanting some normalness to life.

Well, keep on keeping on! We all are getting through this in our own ways, with the help and encouragement of each other. I hope your radiation goes smoothly. I find that after a few sessions my anxiety wore off and now I kind of like getting the treatments. I've learned to relax pretty deeply for the 10 minutes or so it takes, and the techs are all so kind and funny. Yours will go fast, you'll see.

KimPa

Hi everyone!

I am a longtime lurker who checks in to see how people are and for reassurance but thought I would it was about time I said hello.

I finished chemo 2 weeks ago and have my radiotherapy planning meeting next week and will be having 10 sessions over 2 weeks (5 to whole breast and 5 boosts to tumour bed). I had surgery pre chemo with all removed with clear margins.

Like others have said my hair is growing (peach fuzz as we call it). I was hoping for beautiful silver grey hair so I never had to dye it again but my husband has reliably informed me it's a bit of a mixed bag! I'm looking forward to the return of eyelashes - I did hand on to my eyebrows (although they are thinned out).

I am having issues with my finger nails after last chemo - I can see a couple are lifting. I need to remove the black nail varnish to see the damage but any tips of how to protect or what to do if they do come off are welcome.

Like others have said it's been a bit of a slog especially the second chemo (I am so rubbish with the names). Its felled me a bit with shortness of breath and wobbly legs. However, as I can work from home I have continued working throughout with a week off post each chemo - it's been good to have some "normalness" - but I appreciate with a desk job I am very lucky. Plus my organisation have been really good and make it clear that if I need to go and have a nap or take time out I should do. 

I will be taking Tamoxifen but I have avoided looking at too much about that - I tend to focus on one stage at a time and get through that. But I am concerned about side effects.

I just want to get back to being me - oh and losing weight and getting more energy. I am overweight anyway and despite not having eaten a busting load over the last 4-5 months I have put on weight I assume due to the steroids which is a little depressing!

That's a bit of a long essay just to say hi - sorry!!

ML2022

Radiation doesn't take long at all once they're set up. It took about 45 minutes for them to shape the body mold and then another 45 minute appointment to do a "dry run" of the treatment, but the actual treatments only take a few minutes each and I don't feel anything at the time. I'm using calendula salve on my skin 3 times a day to help with any potential skin effects and super gentle massaging when I put on the salve to hopefully ward off the shape effects.

Sunshinesonia

@maggiemoo sorry to hear your feeling so sick. 

Totally sympathise with regards to eyebrows I'm not really a makeup person either some days I draw them on but other days I don't. It takes so long to do. Top Tip if you use Lip Cote over the top of your eyebrows it stops them coming off. 

I have attend the LGFB works they're so good. 

@ML2022 radiotherapy is such a strange thing, the first session i thought I can't feel anything. Wasn't until layering the evening my breast felt like it was sunburnt. I've still got a sore nipple and one brown boobie!

@NickyC75 how are you feeling? I attended the first session of moving forward, it was mentally draining but so far so good. 

I have the second session Tuesday, this is a pilot so we're on Zoom, it's a small group but such lovely ladies. 

Sending you all lots of love ❤️ 

Sonia xx

maggiemoo

@ML2022 

Hope the radiation isn't too bad, how long does it actually take to do , I have 3 weeks of it further down the line 

After chemo it must be better and if we can deal with that we can anything, after all we are super women.

Power to us 💪

ML2022

@maggiemooI'm so sorry this round is making you feel worse. My 4th round was my worst (and luckily it was also my last). I'm down to my last few eyelashes, too! I still have about half my eyebrows. I think they look funny because they're so short now, they don't reach to the corners of my eyes anymore. I bought eyebrow temp tattoos but haven't remembered to use them yet (I am not a lady who usually wears make-up, and it shows!). I tried an eyebrow pen but didn't really like it, and besides, it wore off too fast to be worth it. I haven't tried the look good feel better class but I've heard it's good.

I had my second radiation today and I feel a little creepy about it, lying there and letting these harmful rays shoot through me. I didn't expect to feel this way. I still believe it's the right thing for me, it just bothers me a lot in a way that chemo didn't. However, it's supposed to be much easier than chemo. But I will get through this. I've done chemo, and I can do this, too.

Almost through the week to another weekend! Wishing all of us a good one, and hoping you each do something fun that makes you happy.

maggiemoo

Hi all

had round 4 Monday feeling more sick and tired at the moment than before,

I am using poly balm on hand and toe nails and whilst they are splitting thankfully not going black, I have no eyebrows now and very few lashes so not enjoying that look and am doing the feel good look good course on Friday morning. has any one else done it is it useful. I am a lady who usually uses make up but have changed to a brand called Tropic which my daughter is an ambassador for in her spare time, all skin care and make up is plant derived and no chemicals.

looks like we are in for some sunshine enjoy everyone ❤️🌞

NickyC75

Hi @Sunshinesonia , 

It is lovely hearing from you. Xxx I am glad you are doing ok. It is a great idea to do the course - I read about it but did not get round to booking. Could you let me know what it was like? Did you book on the interactive one or online? You are right @ML2022  and @Sunshinesonia , we need to find a way to navigate the new normal.  

I was listening to a great Insta reel by Dr Liz O’Riordan about your legal rights when returning to work. It was really useful and raised issues I had never thought about; I would really recommend it. It is hard thinking of going back to work, especially as a teacher and dealing with teenagers again. It might be a welcome distraction. Did you know that we are legally classified as ‘disabled’ for life now?  

I kept my lashes and brows right through chemo and now they are starting to come out. 😤 My nails on hands have stayed strong as used Polybalm but am going to lose every single toe nail, as they are all black. I have just covered them in dark nail polish so I don’t make people sick when I wear flip flops! 

I hope everyone else is well. 
xxx

Sunshinesonia

Hello ladies

Sorry I've been quiet on here, I have been reading all your posts though. 

@NickyC75 so sorry to hear you've caught covid, sounds like you've had an awful experience with the hospital. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

@jules_n I also have the fluffy hair, mine looks like its coming back grey 😱

I think I might have a few eyelashes starting to grow as well 🤞

My fingernails on the right had are horrendous they look mouldy 🤭 where they're coming off!  Anyone else have this issue. 

Im starting a workshop today Moving Forward, I'm hoping it will help ease my anxiety about cancer returning and to start living my life again. 

Thinking of you all xx

ML2022

Oh @NickyC75 I'm so sorry you have to go through this covid business! That whole emergency experience sounds awful and frustrating. I've still not gotten covid although I'm sure I will, eventually. Luckily I live in a rural setting so not a lot of opportunity to catch it, but so many of my friends and family have gotten it in the past 2 months, more than in the whole pandemic until now. Hopefully covid won't cause any delays in your treatment plan and you'll get better quickly.

I can sure understand the anxiety of thinking everything we feel that's not quite right could be cancer coming back or spreading. I feel the same thing. I'll be starting a Survivor's Group or something at our clinic in August and I think I might need it. I don't want to be worrying about cancer for the rest of my life, even if I ever do get it again. I just want to live normally until then, and I think I'm going to have to learn how to do that. Also, I have a funny feeling that I need to pick up some new interests so I'll have something else to talk about!

Strength, peace, and healing to all.

NickyC75

Hello ladies, 

I am like you @jules_n  with white fluffy hair coming through. It is slowly starting to go dark. I am surprised how quickly it is growing (I am only 3.5 weeks post chemo), was worried the Tamoxifen/Herceptin might slow things down but it does not appear to be doing so.  I now have more hair than my husband, which is not hard 👩‍🦲 👨‍🦲.

For @jules_n  and @maggiemoo , I am sure it is difficult not knowing what is happening and waiting for scans. I am sending you all my love and support. 

I have caught covid and phoned my chemo Dept on Friday to see if I needed to do anything. Was told I needed anti-virals and to phone 111. They wanted to send an ambulance but I would not let them. I drove to a&e, as directed, and was put in isolation immediately. Was there for hrs and nurses did not know anything about anti-virals. I had to have chest X-ray and ecg to rule out underlying infection and was sent home at 2.45am feeling really poorly. Got a phone call today from same hospital who have identified me as clinically vulnerable and to go in for anti-virals??? I felt if the chemo nurse had arranged my admission it would have saved 111 and a&e (and my poor arm, which is now black and blue as nurse could not get bloods x3 attempts, second nurse got bloods which were then lost, fifth time lucky) AND going back in to hospital again. 🙄 

I burst into tears going to chest X-ray as I was so anxious about breast cancer spreading and maybe that could be the reason I was so breathless. The nurse was great at letting me know the results so quickly, as I was such a mess. Think I was tired, poorly and freezing (as my room was an operating theatre) but felt extremely fearful and anxious. I guess I am going to feel like this from now on. 

What happened with anyone else getting covid? Did you get antivirals? How were you referred/checked?

Good luck everyone who is now starting radiotherapy. Xxx

maggiemoo

Hi @jules_n 

I had slight trace in one of the 2 nodes they removed at mastectomy, I am hoping chemo will gave dealt with anything else, but they did say they would take nodes out regardless, I am trying to get as fit ad possible before any OP have some walking poles as they say ut is good exercise against lymphoedema, they were then saying 3 weeks of radiation. 😘

jules_n

@maggiemoo @it looks like we might have similar decisions to make over the next month.  How are you feeling about axillary node clearance? I’m worried that some tumour cells may have survived chemo, and lurking in the nodes. But I know that the surgery can be tricky, apparently surgeons dread having to do it, and of course there can be complications afterwards. Keep in touch and we can compare notes 😁😁 XX Jules

maggiemoo

Hi @jules_n 

Seem to be a bit behind you, I have my scans on 19th which is a week before my 6th chemo to see about LN removal, radiation which is the plan, I too have that old man look 🤣

jules_n

Hello again March ladies, it’s so good to hear of your progress @ML2022. I had my final chemo just over a week ago, so I’m 5 weeks behind you. That’s great news about your hair! I just have a kind of white fluff growing- not a good look at all, it’s like you might see on an elderly man 🤣 but you’re giving me hope! I’ve had Covid this week, and the antiviral meds, so it’s been a bit miserable but will surely start to pick up soon. I have 2 post chemo scans next week, CT and axillary ultrasound. I should get a decision after that on radiotherapy and/or further LN surgery. 

Wishing you all the best with your radiotherapy, keep the updates coming.....love, Jules XX

maggiemoo

Glad you are feeling a bit better @ML2022 good luck with the radiation. It must be such a relief to get the port out, I cant wait to get my tunnel line out. Round 5 for me on Monday, had a better time this cycle, hope it continues  into the next one 

Hugs to everyone 

ML2022

Hey everyone,

I'm now 6 weeks after my last chemo and I'm finally feeling some real progress. I feel less achy this week, and maybe a little less foggy although I still do plenty of dumb, not-too-well-thought-out things. And I lose stuff all the time. But I do feel a turning point now, one of those jogs in the path when I feel like I'm getting much better.

I got my port out yesterday and it's wonderful not to feel it in my chest anymore even though it's kind of sore right now where the big round part used to be. It's so nice not to have any tubing crossing over my collarbone anymore, too-- that was never comfortable.

I met a woman in the clinic today who had lovely short hair and I asked her how long it took to grow in and it turns out she's only about 6 weeks ahead of me in her treatment-- so in another 6 weeks I'm hopeful that I'll have enough hair to feel comfortable and look as good as she does! It is growing, I can just barely see it in the mirror even without my glasses on, but there's not very much of it yet and I still won't go out in public without my wig on. Just the fact that it's growing makes me feel like I'm on the mend. My nails have started growing again, too. You can sure see where the chemo treatments started!

Tuesday next week I will start radiation. I'm getting 24 treatments to the whole breast, and then I think they're planning 5 or so focused treatments to the lumpectomy site. So by mid-August I should be finished with all my treatments except for the oral hormone blocking medication. What a long run this has been.

Hope you're all doing well.

ML2022

Just to add a bit more to this thread, I'm finding that it's not a straight line path from chemo to wellness. I'll feel like I'm gaining strength and back to normal, and then I'll go right back to where I was a couple of weeks ago, only able to do minimal activity and feeling sore and lying on the couch in the middle of the day. And then back to feeling better again-- usually a little bit better than before. It's a jagged path full of peaks and drops, but overall moving in the right direction, just slowly. Also my mood is unpredictable - I thought I'd be nothing but happy after chemo but I'm having more trouble with depression than during chemo. I'm in counseling and it's helping.

Thanks, @NickyC75 for the reminder that chemo drugs are so powerful and how long they take to clear out of our systems. It helps with setting realistic goals for myself.

You ladies all help so much. I also have trouble talking with people around me about it. Most don't get it, and even if they do, it's not what I want to focus on with them. It's going to be a struggle to stop thinking about cancer when the treatments are all done, and move on to other things, and let the potential for future cancer lie in the future.

I find I don't want to drink alcohol anymore 😮 so I'll raise my tea cup to us all and wish us a peaceful, steady, and satisfying recovery. Thanks for all the support! It would be so much harder without it.

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Nicky ❤️ You carry on being fabulous Nicky and don’t put too much pressure on yourself, just do it your way, ❤️ Love, laugh and live ❤️ That all we can do ❤️💕💕Shi xx

maggiemoo

Lots of love everyone, even if you have finished chemo please do stay in touch here, I think about you all 

💪

NickyC75

Hello all you lovely ladies, thank you very much for your kind and supportive responses. It really does help to know that I am not alone. It is really hard to explain to someone who has never experienced it - reading your replies has made me feel it is ok to feel as I do.

Not sure if I have already said, in hindsight, when I said it out loud, what I was trying to do and the expectations I placed on myself from the day I finished chemo was ridiculous. No wonder I completely crashed at the end of 2 week mark after chemo. I literally spent the week laid on the sofa feeling really unwell. I have read a Dr’s article on a cancer website that said to expect it to take 2 months to recover for every one month of chemo before you start to get energy back.  A pharmacist we know talked to my husband about the strength of drugs we have had at chemo and how even the Tamoxifen are extremely powerful - people do not understand the impact it has. I have tried to take it easier and trying to go a bit more slower at getting back to tennis! 

@jules_n  - congratulations on finishing chemo. 💕 You have done amazing and been so brave. I hope you are going to celebrate or treat your self for getting through the gruelling process. In one of my cards, from a lady who had cancer 10 years ago, said it was so I could have a ‘long, happy and hairy future’!! Hopefully the next few months will see you get stronger and stronger each day. Xxxx

@maggiemoo , I am glad your treatment is going a lot smoother than it was. I hope the side effects are not too severe. Xx

@ML2022 thank you for sharing how you are feeling. I am exactly the same with aches, which makes me paranoid something is wrong. I literally feel I can do one thing a day and then know I will be wiped out for the rest of the day. I hope your energy levels will return soon. I appreciate your advice xxx

@Sunshinesonia you must let me know how you get on with Tamoxifen. So far I am not sure if I have side effects or if it is the chemo leaving my body! Xxx

Thank you @Shi for your words of wisdom. It is great to hear from someone who has ‘come out the other side’. I am signed off work until Oct so going to try and use that time for a bit of self care, hopefully. I am trying to put work out of my mind but know I will have to face it at some point. 

Love to everyone still going through treatment and all of those recovering. It really was great to hear from everyone again. 💕 xx

jules_n

Hi @NickyC75  and everyone on our thread. The replies you’ve had have been so reassuring, this journey we’re on really is a marathon- actually several ultra marathons I’ve come to realise! 
I have my final chemo today. I had a hospital admission 10 days ago with an infection, but responded fairly quickly to a cocktail of antibiotics. I had to call the Cancer Helpline on a Saturday evening, and they arranged everything really efficiently with my local hospital. But it’s taken me until now to have a bit more energy- it will all go downhill after today ☹️ But maybe this will be my last week of feeling really bad, and I’m so looking forward to a gradual improvement. 
I may try some counselling too, but waiting to find out if I need further treatment after I have my follow up scans. 
Please keep updating us on how you’re getting on, love and best wishes to all, Jules XX

ML2022

Same here! I'm 5 weeks past my last chemo and I have what you have! my legs hurt, my upper arms hurt, I'm exhausted. My doctor said to stretch and let him know after a week whether it helped with the muscle aches. It makes me feel more flexible but I still hurt. I am gaining strength little by little-- I can do a little bit more every week -- but tennis? Good God, no, I don't think so. I can walk a mile or two or three. And it hurts.

I think we need to think in terms of 6 months or a year to get back to where we were before chemo or want to be after chemo. Kind, gentle expectations of ourselves. I went camping with my husband this past week and we had to come home early just because I was so tired I wasn't having fun anymore. But I did it! That's the thing that counts. We need to listen to our bodies and take good care.

Strength, hope, and well wishes to all!

maggiemoo

Hey @NickyC75 

Just be kind to yourself, you have been to hell and back, give yourself time to heal properly feel compassion for yourself, and dont be pressured into feeling ok straight way. I am sure we will all come out of this differently and must just deal with ut day at a time. 💪

I am 2 weeks into 4th cycle luckily all ok this time , hope everyone else is doing ok too 

😘

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Nicky ❤️ Your doing great and nothings unrealistic ❤️ Like I always say do everything in your own time and your own way walk to your own drum beat and be 😁 the jigsaw puzzle pieces to fit back together and one morning you wake up and you just feel like you y you again, Well tgsts how it was for me, I can’t explain it but it’s such a lovely feeling. I did use spirit and soul equine therapy in derbyshire Macmillan funded 4 sessions and I had few more after that I paid for. The lady who owns and runs it is a tnbc survivor herself so for me it was perfect fit, everyone finds what works for them and your councillor sounds wonderful ❤️ Pinging back is different for everyone so be kind to yourself ❤️ You are fantastic 😁 don’t you forget that ❤️💕💕Shi xx

NickyC75

Dear @Sunshinesonia  and @Shi ,

Thank you very much for your response. I can’t tell you how much it has helped me to know I am not alone. When I read my post back, I realise it does sound completely unrealistic to expect to be normal after all of that treatment. I have honestly felt worse than when I was having chemo.

I also spoke to my counsellor yesterday and cried through the whole session - I have not cried since before my chemo. She said I was putting too much pressure on myself to get back to work, do housework and catch up with friends (or rather feel guilty as I can’t face meeting up) and that I am not on holiday, I am off sick and to recover! 

My husband spoke to some of the ladies at his work, who have gone through breast cancer treatment, and one lady said it took her at least 15 weeks to start to feel better and get some energy back. She could only manage to return to work part time as the fatigue was too much.

I had also had my Herceptin injection last week, which does seem to make me ache. I feel like I am about 40 years older! 

I was putting off taking the Tamoxifen and has the tablets 4 days before I took one. I had been feeling so terrible I did not want anything to add to that. I am hoping I will be lucky and have minimum side effects. Today will be my 5th day of the tablets so difficult to say as yet. 

Thank you again for helping me. Xxx 💕 

Sunshinesonia

@NickyC75  your not alone I've been feeling really flat and numb, i'm grumpy with everyone and everything is just such an effort!!.

I imagine it's a combination of everything, surgery, chemo and the journey we've been through. I was chatting to a lovely volunteer yesterday and she was saying we've probably been running on adrenaline and that's what got me through chemo & radio. 

I had my herception injection yesterday and was chatting to the nurse asking what happens next and should I be returning to work. She did laugh and say most people have at least 2 months off after treatment because of the side effects and that I was trying to run before I could walk! 

So just be kind to yourself Nicky and rest when you need too. Our bodies have been through so much. 

I'm also starting Tamoxifen next Thursday, really apprehensive about taking it. 

Sending love and hugs 

Take care

Xx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Nicky ❤️ Crikey superwoman ❤️ You are doing amazing ❤️ After chemo and rads was probably few months before full pizazz back so be kind to yourself ❤️ I went back to work full time a month after finishing rads which was 3 months from finishing chemo ❤️ It’ll happen, your jigsaw puzzle pieces will all click back into place and everyone’s timing of this is different ❤️ You walk to your own drum beat ❤️Then you can’t go far wrong ❤️💕💕Shi xx

NickyC75

Hello March ladies,

How are you all? I hope those still going through treatment are doing well. Hopefully there is not long to go. 💕 

I was just hoping to ask those who have finished chemo how they are feeling, if they are still accessing the forum. I will have finished chemo 3 weeks on Wednesday and this last week I have felt rubbish. I am not sure if I have a virus, covid (4 negative test results), severe hayfever (I don’t normally suffer), Tamoxifen (only been on 4 days), chemo coming out of body, menopause from chemo, or all of the above 🤷‍♀️.  I cannot describe the exhaustion - I can’t be bothered to speak, which is not like me. My legs are aching and everything is such an effort. I am a bit breathless when I do anything too. 

I did throw myself back into playing tennis and I think I was just running on adrenaline and then crashing after. Maybe I have used up the little I had left in my tank. 🤷‍♀️  I have not played the last week now.

Is this normal? Has anyone else felt like this?  I suppose I expected to be back to normal straight after but I am clearly not. I also feel all my family and friends expect me to be normal, so I am putting pressure on myself. I just feel really frustrated and miserable. Physically and mentally I feel I am exhausted and am scared this is my new normal. I feel I am zapped of all my energy.

It would be lovely to hear everyone else’s experience. 
Thank you, 

Nicky xx

ML2022

Congratulations @Sunshinesonia that's awesome that you finished radiation! I still haven't started. I'm told calendula is great for treating radiation skin, you can infuse the flowers in just enough olive oil to cover on a low heat for an hour or two and use that, or you can buy great calendula creams made from some combination of beeswax/mango butter/shea butter etc. I've been using it to clear up the skin damage on my face. You all seem to be very well clued in on great products, much better than we are here, so you probably already have something good to use but if not, try that. Enjoy your appointment-free week!

ML2022

That's really great news, @maggiemoo! So glad everything's resolved and you can finish your chemo! We're all rooting for you to have no more complications. It won't be too long now before you've got all this behind you!!!

Sunshinesonia

That's great news @maggiemoo puts your mind at ease.

I finished radiotherapy yesterday....so now have a rather sunburnt boobie🤭.

Next week I have a hospital free week which I'm very much looking forward too. I cant remember I had a week like that. 

Take care and have a good weekend too

Xx

maggiemoo

Hi @jules_n @NickyC75 @Sunshinesonia @ML2022 

Thanks for all your support, saw my oncologist yesterday for all the results of the tests post being in hospital, everything is fine, no abnormalities so chemo resuming on Monday session 4 of 6, they will reduce the steroids mire slowly this time in case that was the reason for collapse, but not really been given a definitive reason for this. I am now on a blood thinner because of the AF although everything has settled. My allergy has still not cleared properly and I suppose wont till they take the tunnel out post chemo.

Have a good weekend all and stay positive 

NickyC75

Morning everyone,

Thank you for asking @jules_n . I am not as far on as @Sunshinesonia  and @ML2022 . I only finished last Wed so would have been due to have chemo today. It felt great not having to go and get bloods on Monday and I am sure if will feel better not having to go and spend a day at hospital. I dreaded the finding the cannula part as time went on but on my last day, they found it first time! My husband are going out for the day and doing something nice! 

My son and husband and son came in for me ringing the bell. It was really emotional. I had definitely been watching to much ‘Selling Sunset’ as I nearly ding donged it off the wall - Chryshelle style! 😂 

Like @Sunshinesonia  and @ML2022  - I feel a bit war wounded! Spots are improving but not gone (finished my third round of antibiotics) for folliculitis and I won’t make you sick by my toenails. I used Polybalm on my fingernails and they have stayed stronger than before chemo but I stupidly thought toes would be tougher. 5 black toenails and two others lifting off. 🤢 Great look for summer! 

I managed a tennis tournament on Saturday but I was so sick that evening. I probably did too much but it felt good being me again. I was completely jelly legs and arms by the end! Still got to the final though 😉 😂 

I am proud of getting through it but know it is not over and I kind of resent people saying it is over. I meet my oncologist next week to discuss what happens next. Think it will be Tamoxifen so menopause here I come! I am already having hot flushes at night. She seemed pretty sure I would not need Radiotherapy. I want them to throw everything at it!

I am seeing a counsellor, which I think helps. I am trying to be positive but there are a lot days where I think, ‘what the hell happened?!’ I also have many days/times scared of the future. My friends who have had cancer in the past said it eases and fades over time. Starting to play tennis again makes me feel like me again and makes me forget. For the last 6 months I have just been cancer (hate that word) - now I want to reclaim my life back but I know it is not going to happen over night. 

I am trying to turn around my view of my body too. It has gone through so much and yet is still standing. We all need to be so kind to ourselves, physically and mentally - easier to day than do! 

I hope all the other ladies are still managing. @maggiemoo , I know your’s was delayed but hopefully you are back on track. Keep going, you are doing amazing! Please let me know how you are getting on. 

Love, strength and power to you all 💪🏼 ❤️ 🦸‍♀️ xxxx

jules_n

So good to hear of your progress @ML2022 & @Sunshinesonia .

Really gives me hope that I’ll be following you soon. I have my last chemo on 24th June, so maybe by mid July my brain fog will be lifting! I’m also looking forward to getting a bit fitter again, having always been active. I’m in my early 60’s and retired, but there’s no way I could have worked through chemo, I’d have been a complete liability! 
Love ❤️ and best wishes to all, Jules XX

Sunshinesonia

@ML2022 I'm 2 weeks past finishing chemo and starting to feel a bit better. My nosebleeds have stopped and bowel movements have started to return to normal! 😁

I still have numbness on my right heal, finger nails have brown patches and are tender.

Glad you mentioned the skin damage on your face, I have this too. Its worse on the left side and looks like the skin pigment has changed. 

I started radiotherapy yesterday, thankfully its only 5 days. My breast is feeling sore, so back to wearing my comfy sports bra. 

I'm starting Tamoxifen at the end of June!

Next week is the first week in months that I don't have any hospital appointments.....such a good feeling 🙂 

ML2022

@jules_ngood that you're feeling less nausea this time. I was lucky, I didn't have nausea with my chemo.

I'm 3 weeks past my last treatment today. Overall, I feel a lot better already, just like in previous cycles when I'd be feeling nearly normal by the time another treatment rolled around. But I'm a lot more tired than last time and my legs and arms still hurt. I have skin damage on my face that I didn't have before-- wrinkled, leathery skin on my cheeks and around my eyes-- I'm wearing more sunscreen, washing with witch hazel, and using calendula-beeswax salve to try and soothe my skin until new skin grows in. My hands, feet, and nails are still brittle and need a lot of salve throughout the day. The good side is that my taste is normal, my brain is clearing, the tingling in my fingers and feet is gone, my stomach is fine, digestion is fine (no more constipation!), I can eat normally, I'm able to do my routine stretches again although not nearly as many as before chemo, and I can walk farther with my dog. So my energy is returning, just taking its time. My hair has grown a tiny bit -- I can feel stubble poking through my hat.

Best of all is that I have a tremendous sense of accomplishment that I made it through to the other side! And you will, too,  @maggiemoo @Sunshinesonia! and others I haven't met through this forum but may be reading these posts.

jules_n

Hi @maggiemoo , I hope it won’t be too long until you see your consultant and can continue with your chemo. I’m the same as you- 6 cycles then probably ANC and radiotherapy. I had my second Docetexel last Wednesday, and this time they gave me the single long acting G-CSF injection, instead of the 7 daily ones. I’ve had much less nausea- yay to that!!- but still aching and tired. 

@NickyC75 and @ML2022 , that’s great that chemo is over for you- how are you both feeling now? 

maggiemoo

Glad for you @ML2022 @NickyC75 My chemo has been postponed  again for a week, my consultant wants me to have the echo first and wants to discuss everything that happened the last couple of weeks, I am supposed to have six sessions then my lymph nodes out then 3 weeks radiotherapy

Hope you all enjoy the jubilee weekend 

ML2022

Congratulations to you, too, @NickyC75! Good to know about the six weeks. It feels great to be done. Already looking back on it, it seems worse in hindsight than I allowed myself to feel while it was going on. I don't mean it was easier than it seems now. I mean I just couldn't let myself admit how bad I felt. So that must mean I already feel a lot better! We are so resilient, all of us.

NickyC75

Well done @ML2022  for getting to the finish line. It is amazing you are 2 weeks finished. My chemo nurse said that it stays in your system for at least 6 weeks so it is not surprising you still feel tired. 

I hope all the other ladies on this thread are doing well. X

I completed my treatment yesterday and rang the bell. I am so grateful, relieved and glad to be out the other side of chemo, but I have such mixed emotions. It does not feel like it is all over. I am feeling like hibernating again. I went out for tea with my hubby and son to celebrate but I was just exhausted and felt really nauseous (it was a nice idea but was way too early) which I have not felt throughout the whole treatment. Went straight home to bed.

I am meeting my oncologist in a fortnight to discuss the next steps, which will probably be Tamoxifen and obviously continue with Herceptin. I am already having hot flushes every night from chemo so I am expecting more to come with Tamoxifen. 

Is anyone doing anything nice for the Jubilee? Whatever you are doing, I hope you have a lovely weekend and feel well enough to enjoy it with your family. Xxx

ML2022

@maggiemoonext is radiation starting sometime in June (I'm not sure when). I think it's about 25 treatments in all, once a day 5 days a week. I'm told it's also tiring and it can give skin burns but otherwise not too bad. Then after that is 7 years of hormone blocking medication. That might give me a second menopause - hot flashes, moods, no sex drive. Cause once wasn't enough!

maggiemoo

I am half way through no 4 on Monday, what comes next for you @ML2022 

Stay strong

ML2022

'mRe: March 2022 Chemotherapy starters

Yes, I'm also so pleased and relieved to hear your MRI results, @maggiemoo! AF is indeed very manageable once it's diagnosed so hopefully very soon this and the allergies will resolve and you can concentrate again on finishing chemo and resuming life. Sounds like you were already well on the way, planning trips and so on, and you will again.

I'm 2 weeks past my last treatment and still finding it harder to bounce back this time. My legs still hurt and I'm all-over tired most of the time. I did some de-cluttering yesterday (piles of stuff around the house have grown during chemo!) and it might have been too much for me, because I took a 2-hour nap yesterday and I'm sore today. But I do know that I'll get better and I won't have to do chemo again. I feel like my mind is clearing some after only 2 weeks and that's encouraging.

Hang in there, all! wishing you smooth sailing this week.

maggiemoo

Re: March 2022 Chemotherapy starters

@NickyC75 thanks, it is a relief I feel fine in myself, a little more nauseous this round, on Friday before I passed out we were sat having dinner and planning a couple of day trips and even possibly a night in b &b I felt that confident, now the confidence is gone I am scared I might pass out again,  may do a day trip sometime before next chemo if I get the confidence back, just enjoying the garden and yes still painting

Thanks for the tip on Headcovers.com have ordered an underwig hat and a couple of other hats

Thanks for the support, stay strong and positive all of you 

NickyC75

@maggiemoo , I am so pleased and relived for you. I can’t imagine how worried you must have been. I hope you are going to have a little (or bug) celebration! 👏🏼 

At least they have identified the AF (I looked up what it was) and they can monitor and treat it if necessary. Apparently there is a higher incidence of AF with bc. We will send you more positive vibes tha this gets sorted.

How are you in yourself? Are you still managing to get out and about?  Are you still managing to paint? 

I hope every else is coping. Sending you all love and strength. Xxx

maggiemoo

Hi everyone, good news the MRI shows no masses or abnormalities  in my brain  I can not tell you how scared I was and the relief is immense

Have a flare up of my skin allergy so back on antibiotics waiting now for an echo to confirm the AF they found and to discuss the hospital discharge report with my doctor as it is not an oncology  team issue, unfortunately  our surgery only has the equivalent of 1 doctor and have to wait till 8th June for even a telephone appointment, 

Hope you are all doing ok with this round 

Hugs 

Sunshinesonia

@maggiemoo sorry to hear you've had a set back. Sending you big hugs. 

Keep us posted.

Take care Sonia xx