Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

May 2017 chemo starters

Highlighted

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

How did you get on Williams500 x
Highlighted

Oh anniej big hugs. Don't forget we are all emotional too I had a meltdown the other day over nothing really. Also cannot even watch the cancer research advert without crying! Try and go for a walk and clear your head. I really do feel better for gettino out. Makes you realise you don't just want to sit and hide away.

Heather - hope your feeling better today x

Does anybody know what period our lowest blood counts are? I ve just finished daily injections so am thinking that will be approaching but not sure how long for xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Anniej, I think what you're feeling is "normal" for us chemo ladies. I was close to a meltdown at the thought of going into work for a meeting - all I could think was "they may have germs and then if I catch something my oncologist will delay my next chemo and the cancer will start to grow again...." I think you're right, you realise just how vulnerable you are at times and how fragile you feel and how outsiders can't possibly appreciate this feeling. That's why it's good to come on here. Just remember that it's ok to have the occasional meltdown, just don't unpack and live there! Take care. X

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Raitchr, sorry you felt rubbish. Wonder if it's the F bit? Glad the ginger nuts worked their magic. Is it worth giving the ward a ring re sickness, as they have a good cabinet of ant- sick drugs. Not worth being miserable.

On another note, had a complete meltdown last night with a neighbour/ friend who turned up at the door. Refused to let him in as I was so worried he had germs! What is the matter with me? I was a complete mess, and hubby didn't help by being completely dumbfounded, and then annoyed. I haven't been out since my unexpected visit to the hospital Sunday. I think it brought home to me how very precarious lives we cancer sufferers are living, very vulnerable and quite isolated. Oh well, off for another weep. 😒

Highlighted
Community Champion

Raitchr - hope you're feeling better in the morning Heather. Rest all you need. X

Highlighted

Hi I have had nausea tonight. Day 2 of first cycle of FEC.

I took anti sickness this morning and lunch but fell asleep 5pm after rubbish night last night was so tired. Anyway felt sick as husband was cooking tea, took a tablet but ate very little. Also on precautionary 21 day course of antibiotics so this may have upset my tummy.

Laid down and sipped water and had a few ginger nuts biscuits. It seems to have passed. Going to bed now and hoping it will be better tomorrow.

Welcome to our new starters.

Heather

Highlighted

Welcome to the club ladies. I think we're all having slightly different treatments and at varying stages. I'm on 6 cycles of FEC followed by radiotherapy, 1 down - 1 week in, 5 to go. Fingers crossed it goes well for everyone.
Highlighted

Oh forgot 2 say. My name is Emma (WolfEE) my first chemo FEC-T starts on 22nd May so I have just over a week until it all begins. Wishing you all well that have already started. X
Highlighted

Hi Mai7, thank you for your message in the recently diagnosed post and the invitation on2 this group, just having a quick read through now familiarise myself with everyone xxx
(Appologies now as it will soon become apparent but I am a terrible (or should I say lazy) speller so forgive me now for any perculier words and good luck 2 u all working them out. X
Highlighted
Community Champion

Katie11, no sign of ANY *gasp* hair loss for me yet and now day 14. I was hoping to have lost the leg hair by now which I'd grown specially for chemo, but alas! I've read before it can take as long as day 18 for the shedding to commence so I'm a tad nervous now.  I cold capped so expect thinning rather than total loss but total loss can still occur with cold capping.

Hope everyone is doing well and not getting any nausea. X

I've invited a new member over from recently diagnosed thread WolfEE, hopefully she'll find us.

Highlighted

Welcome AnnieA, hope you had a well deserved break and are all ready to get going. We have all said the build up was much worse than the actual event and hopefully u will be the same. What are you starting on? I'm having 3 EC and then 9 weekly t, which apparently shows better results on tnbc which I am. Feels like a long way to go and already on countdown ! 1 down 11 to go . Take care x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi AnnieA and welcome to our group. If you go to the beginning of the thread and work your way through it we have all shared top tips and shopping items and you can enjoy reading our stories so far! I'm on Day 15 1/8 FECT which has been much easier than I expected so far.

Highlighted

Hi ladies I'm a May starter too, Wednesday 17th for me. I'm just back off holiday this morning so feel very unprepared. I'm just making myself a checklist if anyone has any tips or anything I may forget please let me know x
Highlighted

Glad all went well Heather. Good Luck for today William500. Xx
Highlighted

My 2nd chemo is 1st June, got pushed 2 days as Bank holiday, hoping it gives me 2 extra good days at end of 1st cycle!

Highlighted

I too am wishing the summer away and I usually love summer so much. Here's to next summer 🍸🌞🌴

Highlighted

Williams500

I had my first chemo yesterday so I totally know where your mind is at right now. I couldn't settle all day, it took me back to sitting exams at school, later afternoon ones when you just want to get on with it.

I was fine yesterday, took 1.5 hrs to do, they hook you to a saline drip and alternate drip then drugs then drip etc. Was painless, a bit uncomfortable getting my cannula in but they used wheatbag to warm my hand. 

The nurse was so patient and caring, very delicate with touch, and explained everything. I took a bottle of water and drank it whilst hooked to 500ml saline, bursting for pee afterwards. I drank loads in morning and at night, my wee is still red this morning.

1 down 5 to go, we can all totally do this however bad we feel at times. Sending you a hug as you start today.

Heather

Highlighted
Community Champion

Williams500 - Yes, it's all a bit surreal. I'm sure you'll cope well, but like you say, other people's stories only give some faith for yourself. Then you fill the gap with worry! Human nature, I guess..... Take care. X

Highlighted

Thanks Mai7. Pretty nervous but also keen to get it started as have no idea how it will affect me and once i do i feel i can start to plan a bit better!
Never thought I'd wish the summer away but can't wait for end of August!! x
Highlighted

Chemo parking is just a free parking ticket, you have to find your own space, if there is one otherwise it is street parking offsite and 15 mins hike!

Chemo was fine, I have bad head and feel jetlagged. Got a itchy nose during it but that is side effects so next time they will push that one more slowly. Got anti sickness, steroids and antibiotics to start tomorrow.

Night all, lets see what tomorrow brings!

Highlighted
Community Champion

Williams500, Wishing you the all the best for tomorrow.

Highlighted

Hope all went well Heather x

Hows everyones hair coping? I'm getting anxious now at the thought of it coming out x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Blimey, chemo parking! I think we'll all have to move near you. πŸ˜„ Feeling much better today and I can now move my neck without too much pain. I think the Onco teams are a different breed altogether. πŸ˜‡

You will definitely be better with one under your belt , Raitchr, as the fear will have been faced. πŸ‘Ή

Thinking of all you lovelies today. X

Highlighted

Just about to leave for hospital as we have to sort out a parking permit for chemo parking, wouldn't give it to us earlier in case we changed hospitals as that was an option. Forced myself to eat some toast just to have something in my tummy. Have drunk so much water this morning I seem to be in the loo a lot.

Will feel better with 1 down and 5 to go!

Heather

Highlighted

Hi All. Re pre chemo nerves. The worst of it is not knowing how your body is going to react. You get given pages of possible side effects, so it is a scary thing. The injections themselves only took 40 mins for me and a nurse sat with me while she injected them. I had a couple of 'feelings' when they were being injected - bit of numbness on the face was one of them. The biggest thing for me at the time was they hadn't long been taken out the fridge so they made my arm really cold. The experience wasn't that bad, I went on my own and took a book, but didn't get it out my bag, I wasn't even there long enough to be offered sandwiches, just plenty of tea and biscuits. The volunteers and staff on the ward are fantastic. The side effects are very individual, so it's difficult to know what you will and won't get. Take the med and drink plenty of water and try to get out for some light exercise each day if you can. Thinking of you all going through this at the mo. Be strong everyone, it'll be over before we know it. Xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Anniej, your story made me chuckle - you and hubby sound like a real double-act!

Im now day 13 and starting to turn into a moderate reptile. I've started using E45 wash in the shower to keep moisture in the skin, which I recommend! Still no hair loss yet by the way. Has anyone else grown their leg hair in prep for chemo to get some benefit after all these years of shaving and epilating? .....or is it just me? :-o

Heather, may the force be with you! X

Highlighted

How you doing today anniej x
Highlighted

I too found the experience a while lot better than it was in my head. Didn't even really have time to chat to hubby! The nurse stayed with me for the 40 mins it took to inject it all through and they are all so lovely.

Make sure you do rest , you take for granted you can just get on with stuff without realising how tired you will get. Hard I know with boys. I have two young boys too that are always on the go.

Thinking of you today xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Raitchr, this was me last week πŸ˜…, really bricking it. However, it  was quite a social experience, believe it or not. The Hickman line took 30 mins off the treatment , and I was no sooner in than I was out! Chatted to loads of ladies with BC and was quite reassured by that. Took big bottle of iced water which I needed, perhaps nervousness. Mints helped when the line was flushed and I got a nasty medicinal backwash. Hubby and I did the crossword, very badly! Hospital provided sandwiches and snacks. Pretty bland, but I'd taken my own. Hubby hoovered hospital food up, and then introduced himself to all and sundry via my ginger nuts. Lots of support and good advice from the medical staff. Had half an hour at Maggies to round off the day. The relief when it was over! I was quite manic πŸ˜† Wishing you a positive experience. Chemo sucks, but if it sucks out the cancer,yay! X

Highlighted
Community Champion

Heather, it's natural you should have some pre-chemo jitters. I'm sure it will be much less melodramatic than your imagination though. I know what you mean about preparing for an overdue baby? I've often thought this chemo thing is similar to the obsessing and worrying you do during pregnancy, only this time the baby is you.  I listened to music during chemo (except whilst the nurse was sitting with me). You'll be fine. Try and get a good night's sleep now..... X

Highlighted

Sorry to hear about your trip to the hospital Anniej, your booby prize comment made me laugh! Hope you are feeling better now you are home.

I am so nervous but so ready to get chemo started. Scared that I may end up ill in hospital, scared my veins will give up and scared I will feel like rubbish. I am not a patient patient! Mum has come to stay for a few days to look after the boys,spent the day cleaning and changing all the beds, emptied the laundry bin, all washed and done all of the ironing. It is like I am nesting with an overdue baby. 

All I want to do is stick my headphones on and watch a film during chemo so I can pretend it isn't happening. Husband told me I have to talk for 2 hours as that is the done thing. I am not a chatty person especially when I am scared...

Hugs to all

Hx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Oh dear Anniej, glad you're doing better now but it must have been quite scary for you. The white blood cells are definitely a good thing, I reckon.  You'll have time to heal before they start to drop. Take care. X

Oh no anniej! Hope ur ok xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Well, ladies, is there a prize (perhaps it should be a booby prize....) for who ended in hospital first ? I think that's me, then 😒. Hickman line has bruised so badly I had trouble breathing and swallowing. District Nurse took one look at me, red as a tomato, Sunday morning and there I was on the Onco ward as quick as hubby could get me there. Out tonight with loads of painkillers and analgesics and instructions to sit up and sleep upright too. Ah well, thought it was too good to last. Tests all showed blood in good condition with plenty of white cells, so perhaps that's a plus?

Pleased to hear everyone is motoring on nicely . Nice ideas for keeping occupied. Thank you. X

Highlighted
Community Champion

Katie11 - glad you are feeling better. If you go on hobbycraft website you can get lots of ideas. I tend to avoid anything messy as it creates as more stress in cleaning up as it does relaxation! You could start with card making, cross-stitch, Pom-Pom garlands, bracelets/necklaces/bag charms. I'd avoid wood and metal work due to risk of cutting yourself! :-/

Heather, wishing you the best of luck for tomorrow. X

Highlighted

Hi ladies, hope ur all OK. I'm feeling bit better now think I did too much on sat. Had to say it was worth it as wouldn't have missed my son's cup final and parade for anything.

Any one fed up with TV yet? I feel like i need a hobby/craft. Any suggestions? My mind isn't settled enough for reading yet still feel lightheaded.

Good luck for tomorrow Heather x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Thanks Raitchr, I'll look I into getting some manuka 20+

I've just made a room into a craft/reading/aromatherapy room so there is a place to chill and switch off away from TVs and computers!  I'm really pleased with it. I've ordered a couple of boho cushion covers so will be able to get deep into the zen space and realign my chakras!  πŸƒ 🌿 I too was leading life in the fast lane before and now I realise that must change.  With regard to your husband taking on more domestics - rather than bite your tongue and risk sore mouth, try meditation and mindfulness! 

Highlighted

Yes manuka should be at least grade +10 for health benefits. Sorry if I have already mentioned it before, I am on a few forums.

I am looking forward to taking it easy over the next few months. I normally go around at about 100mph according to my husband. I am to take it easy and rest. Can't wait, a good excuse to read a few books and catch up on tv. Handing over most jobs to husband, he works from home so is here 24/7 I will just have to bite my tongue if not done on my terms, I am not a control freak but I like my house ship shape and in order! Could be interesting....

H

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Raitchr, it's not just me then sitting in supermarket car parks and reading the news etc on my phone! I can't believe how enjoyable a simple trip out can be. It makes you realise how much you took for granted before. I think the next 6 months will be an interesting series of interactions with society behind glass! We should write a book about our journey as the May starters group, but then, I think the book is already here for everyone to read!

I haven't tried manuka honey, I have regular honey in the cupboard but didn't you mention before it has to be 20+ or something? 

I can understand you just wanting to get on with the chemo now, I felt like that too.  I don't know if it's just wishful thinking but I feel my tumour may have shrunk very slightly and doesn't feel quite as hard. Hopefully the chemo will zap this little blighter enough for the surgery to go ahead on time as planned. Would be great if it shrinks faster than expected and vanishes.....I can only dream....

Highlighted

Mai7, you made me laugh with sitting in the car at the supermarket just to get out of the house. I did that after my Mx. I will be like that as husband will do school run but I will sit in the car just to get out of house,that's what I did after Mx!

Have you tried a spoonful of manuka honey each morning to prevent mouth sores. A few peel have said they did this and didn't have chemo mouth. I have already started this in the morning, I find if I do things before it becomes routine when I need it.

2 days before chemo starts, now not nervous just ready to get going on it.

Heather

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hope you are soon feeling better Katie11, just rest if you need to.

I'm day 11 now and feeling pretty good but have to avoid humans due to immune-risk. Yesterday I went to the supermarket with my partner but stayed in the car whilst he shopped! I just wanted to feel like I could still have a normal life and we could still almost do stuff together. It did help.

Highlighted

Hope your all well today ladies, feeling a bit pants today really don't think those daily injections agree with me . Did sleep better on the other hand though although have woke with the bland taste today only thing I want to eat are Yoghurts. Enjoy the sun xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

MisyAngel, I'm generally finding it a lot easier than expected but I feel self-obsessed about monitoring every tiny change or symptom which may or may not be a sign of eminent infection. Keeping a close check on yourself is important but I just feel a bit rebellious about that at times. My sore mouth wasn't bad enough to affect my appetite, thankfully, and now seems to have passed. I'm just being a whinger!

Raitchr - make sure you are armed with good supplies in anticipation that your mouth will get sore at some point so you are ready to nip it in the bud! Just be ready to throw everything in there!  I must admit, with 8 rounds of chemo followed by mastectomy and lymph node removal (then whatever else after that!), I'm going to be crawling past the finish line! 

Anniej - I think Corsodyl has alcohol in it so be careful, unless you have managed to find an alcohol-free one? I'm totally loving your chemo-confidence, by the way! 

Highlighted

Hi Mai7 sorry to hear you have some side effects. I am dreading a sore mouth, just can't handle ulcers and not being able to eat.

I had surgery 7 weeks ago, had mx, I think I would have found it difficult if I had chemo then surgery. It has taken me this long to recover from op. I am starting 3 x FEC then 3 x T on Tues.

Best wishes, hope you feel a bit better soon

Heather

Highlighted

Hi Mai7

I am having 8 rounds of chemo followed by surgury, due to start my first FEC chemo on the 12th May.   How are you finding it so far :-)

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi, I'm like Katie, on EC, and like Mai, I need to keep the white blood cells up, especially as I've had a complete LN clearance. My Onco nurse recommended Cordysyl mouth wash, but if that doesn't work I've noted the - here we go- the one beginning with b??? Yes, essential anti sick tabs finished yesterday, but ok today. Still bit headachy though. All doable, ladies, all doable.πŸ€  X

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi BusybeeS, I had to inject myself for 5 days from day 5 - it's to boost white blood cells, I think. I'm on FEC.  

I'm now day 10. I've had a couple of sore patches in my mouth for the last 2 days. I've been rinsing with biotene, aloe Vera juice, applying gengigel, biotene gel and chewing on ulcer pastille so my mouth is like a clean oven now!  It's getting better so I must have done something right - just got to work out which thing worked! πŸ˜‚  I've developed a small rash on the inside of my left arm (opposite elbow where lymph nodes are) it's probably some sort of allergy/eczema rash but now I'm paranoid I have skin metastases! I phoned the chemo nurses and they didn't seem too worried as long as it doesn't spread and my temperature stays normal. This bc thing just keeps you living in constant fear!  Is anyone else neo-adjunct chemo or just me? I have to have my surgery after the 8 rounds.

Highlighted

Ha ha Anniej,

I'm on EC , having daily injections for 7 days to keep up my white blood cells or something like that and then just sickness tablets which finished yesterday. Xx
Highlighted

I'm not daily injecting. Do you mind me asking what is that for? I assume it depends on what chemo drugs you are on as to what else you have to take/do.
Highlighted
Community Champion

Oh dear, chemo fog in place. That last response was for Kate. I've been like this all day, losing my words and having to describe things. Now that's exhausting!