AnnieA

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

Pressed enter too soon sorry, 3 tax after my EC
AnnieA

Hi all, anyone on the same cocktail as me? 3 EC , 3 T? X
treehouse

Hi wandestrong welcome. I can only imagine what you have been through . We all have the diagnosis day but when you are expecting must be very difficult. I am so pleased your little one is well. I had treatment one 12 days ago and now feel great but I am on a different cocktail to most of the ladies here. Feel free to share or ask questions. They are a knowledgeable bunch and mega supportive. We are not doing this alone. 😊
Wandestrong

Hi Ladies,
I'm due to start 6xFEC on 1st June. Thought it might be better to post here and gain from your experience on the initial cycles. I'm booked in for a pre-assessment next Wednesday, not sure what that involves but know I'll have to have a blood test then. I'm really hoping for the best outcomes out of this process, I have 2 young kids to stay strong for, my son is 4 and daughter is 3weeks old. I was diagnosed at 31 weeks pregnant with stage 2 IDC and had a lumpectomy while 34 weeks pregnant. Luckily it was a success with clear margins and nodes. My mum underwent breast cancer treatment 3 years ago at 57years old so she's been a great support to me having had 8x chemo sessions herself while continuing to work. It's been a tough journey so far but I'm determined to see this to the end and hopefully emerge stronger and wiser.

Hope you're all doing well with the treatments.

Wande x
MJK

Thanks Woodie, good to know what works.
Woodie

Hi Max, for Picc line the shower cover on Amazon for around Β£15 was the best buy ever. I ordered a funky everyday cover from Etsy that arrived today but it's a bit short. I've tried someone else on eBay; these look longer; Β£5 . Hope this helps.
Anniej
Community Champion

Treehouse, yes they can. Most people have PICC lines in after, when it's discovered veins are rubbish, or have collapsed when the chemo thins the veins. The Hickman line is a surgical,procedure and requires a theatre, so advance notice is needed. Ask for one. Just tell them the problem, and then stand up for your poor body! X

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi ladies, just an update. Onco clinic plus venous flush today , so that was pretty much my day! Maggies place was my retreat  after it all. Very sympathetic nurse re dressed the wound and flushed the line, and it feels so much more comfortable . Perhaps I won't need to be propped upright to sleep tonight. Now that would be great. Onco was very pleased with my tolerance to the chemo, so he would like to go ahead with sessions two and three. He did mention that the T bit is tough ( his words) so he'll review my treatment in six weeks. I'd kept a daily diary, and he was grateful for the concise information on the effects of the chemo. It helped keep the meeting focused, and as the clinic was running late it helped time wise. When I described the one bout of pain I had, and the timing, he said it was the injections. Thought they were iffy!!!  I did feel in rather rude health, but that must be the  white platelets rising! Well, one down and two more to go. Good luck and safe journey to everyone going into chemo for the first time. X

treehouse

Thanks AnnieJ. I will call if anything changes. I have been trying to record side effect but I felt so rubbish I didn't do every day. I like the spreadsheet idea. Can they put a line in after treatment has started? I coped well with treatment one but they made a mess of my arms during a last min CT scan 3 days later. Also my treatment takes forever!
Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Max, I've got a Hickman line in, which is into my chest, and I the PICC line is arm. You will get a stretchy bandage over it, I believe. It wasn't an option for me as my arms are rubbish, so my Onco just put me down for a Hickman. The portacath is the Rolls Royce of venous lines, but are expensive. I was given a print out which described the three types. The Hickman line lasts six months, and my treatment is five, so seemed a good fit. It cuts the treatment time by 30minutes, so the nurses love it. The downside is I have to have mine cleaned every week, so very tying. Hope this helps. Good luck. X

Anniej
Community Champion

Treehouse, don't ever think you're stupid. I phoned the ward thinking I was being a bit over cautious, and they couldn't have been nicer. My temperature was raised, but borderline . See, who knew borderline? Message  from this - better to be safe, please do phone up, and we don't mind at all because that's what we're here for . Very comforting. X

MJK

While we're all going through different treatments, sharing emotions with people who are going through this at the same time is so helpful. Other friends are really supportI've but don't quite understand in the same way. Mai7 and Annie A I have my note book ready. Good to hear today's been ok Mai7. I hope the PIC line goes ok tomorrow Max85 mine goes in on Tuesday. With no lymph nodes to the left and PIC line on the right I guess I'll have to sleep on my back. Just as well hubby has earplugs!
Mai7
Community Champion

No need to apologise for sharing emotions treehouse. I don't have any issue with emotional content. We all get them.. X

Ive had quite a good afternoon after my 2nd FEC, I started to feel like I had just come off a boat ride at one point but this seems to have passed now after eating some ginger biscuits and chews! The chews, I discovered recently at the pharmacy - they are Sina Original brand.

treehouse

Thanks Mai7 and MJK. Sorry for over sharing. I think my sister and I have been very aware and checking regularly as we half expected this day would come. Genetic testing results will be interesting. Even my surgeon said there was a chance it is not related. We all know someone!
Mai7
Community Champion

Max85, I think AnnieJ is your expert here! AnnieJ where for art though?

Max85

Evening
Going for my picc line to be put in tomorrow, did anyone buy covers for them? I think I get one from hospital tomorrow. Do they bandage up the picc line? Or just put a little cover on it?
Thanks max
Mai7
Community Champion

AnnieA, glad it's not just me tracking data! X

Mai7
Community Champion

Hi Treehouse, I hope I didn't open up a wound for you and Im sending you a big hug and a virtual hankie. I think it can be good to share and explore these feelings with friends or via counselling to get a different perspective. I guess we all bring a child into this world with the hope of them doing better than we did and we love them with all our hearts. However, we know that all living things have imperfections and we have no control over that, but would we have chosen to not have our children? I'm sure your Mum would not be without you and if there was anything she could have done to avoid anything undesirable happening to you, she would have absolutely have done that. I believe with every generation, medical advances improve the treatments and outcomes so we continue to have faith that one day there will be a cure, just like vaccination programmes.  Of course we always need to remember that this life is finite for everyone and comes with no guarantees. I bet your Mum is very proud of how you are coping, even on a bad day. I think we all have cancer on our minds forever after diagnosis and need to learn how to cope with those thoughts. I hope this helps a little, at least. Xxx

AnnieA

Hi Mia your not a geek at all i have written everything down in a diary so I can do the same xx
MJK

Big hugs to you treehouse and to your mum too. X
treehouse

Crying when I type this πŸ˜“ my mum first had breast cancer when I was 13. She has had it twice since and ovarian. She is the most amazing person and massive support. I know she blames herself for my illness and that breaks my heart.Knowing she has got through this is so comforting to me and also my children. If she can do it I can too. The only thing is i know that this will be with me now forever.
Mai7
Community Champion

Thanks treehouse, yes, inclusion is definitely a good thing to help others cope. Really glad Mum came today. So your Mum has already gone through this? Have you found her to be a great source of support and advice having shared experiences? 

Mai7
Community Champion

AnnieA, sorry to read that you wound up in hospital and your son has been exposed to Chicken pox. Hope your side effects have completely passed now.  I found my pattern on round 1 was Day1-4 fuzzy logic/brain fog. Day 3-5 bladder irritation, Day 7-13 sore mouth. I'm tracking it all on a spreadsheet to see if the patterns repeat in a predictable manner like the sad geek that I am! 

treehouse

Hi Mai7. Glad round 2 went well. I know what you mean about giving your mum a chance to see and be less worried. Mine played tag team with my husband for round one as he had to collect the kids from school. She felt lots better seeing me with the line in and a smile on my face (I am normally a fainter but seem to be toughening up) She was in the same place 6 years ago and some of the nurses recognised her. Sorry to hear hubby still not well.
Mai7
Community Champion

I just got back from my second chemo and feel great, ate some veg soup for lunch and about to start working. Everything went well and the nurse was so lovely - we had a good natter which made the hour go by in a flash. It was so much easier not cold capping. My hair was shedding a lot overnight and this morning and I'm developing a noticeable thin patch on top. The nurse said that the first FEC takes a while to impact the hair but after the second FEC you will lose all of your hair in around 48 hours, so I'll keep you posted on that! I had to text my Mum in the night last night to take me to the chemo session at short notice as my partner was sick again in the night. I think he'd tried to eat too much too soon with last nights evening meal which set him back again. My Mum was really pleased to come along and it's helped her to worry less about the treatments now she can visualise exactly where I'll be and what happens. I'm fully armed with steroids again so expect those late night postings when I can't sleep and like to have a chat with the atmosphere, y'know, just posting it out there!

Hope everyone else is doing well. 

AnnieA

I've spoken to the nurses on my chemo unit and they said to just carry on as normal. So that's what I'll do for now. Thanx for all your replies to this ladies x
MJK

Hi Annie A it sounds like a rough start. It's definitely worth checking about the chicken pox. My son's just recovering from it but I've had it and don't start until next week. There's a 10 - 14 day incubation so if your son gets it then count on from there. Unfortunately they're most contagious just before the spots appear so it's hard to dodge.
AnnieA

AnnieA

WolfEE I've had better days but I'm feeling okay this morning. Yes I've had chicken pox myself but my son hasnt yet. I'll make some phone calls and see what I can find out x
WolfEE

AnnieA. What a tough 24 hours for you bless you and hope things start feeling a bit kinder. Have you had chicken pox before when you were younger? I'd get on the phone and get some advice as quick as poss ease your mind especially after the a&e experience. It's good they put you aside in your own room.
Hope you have a better day xxx
treehouse

Glad to hear it AnnieA. Take care 😊
AnnieA

Treehouse , I was put in a side room and seen fairly quickly πŸ‘ X
treehouse

Oh AnnieA. Sounds like you have had a tough 24 hours. Did you have to wait in A&E or did they see your red card and rush you through? Sending big hugs your way x
katie11

Anniea hope your ok xx sure your new surgeon will be as good as the other must be a little unsettling though .

My hair is just loose hairs none on pillow as yet. Just feel like I can feel hairs on me all the time!
Raitchr

I had palpitations on way home in car and when I laid down to go to sleep. I put it down to drugs and will speak to Onc before next chemo.

Re chicken pox, I would ring your chemo unit and ask their advice.

Raitchr

Its weird how different people are told different things. I was told it is a 21 day cycle, day 1 is the day of chemo,  day 7- 14 is low immune week.

I am now day 10 so right in middle to "be aware of germs"week, hair still hanging in, so tempted to cut it off but so desperate not to. I know that sounds weird.

At least the sun is on its way to day, had so much rain yesterday, I feel better in myself seeing the sun.

Heather

AnnieA

Hi everyone I just thought I'd post a little update. Day 1 after chemo today and I spend 4 hours in a&e last night with palpitations. They let me home and just put them down to side effects. They don't seem as bad this morning.
I've just had a call from my breast unit to tell me that my surgeon has left and I've been transferred over to someone else who I will not see until 21st June (not quite sure how I feel about that, considering I should have been seen next week).
Also had a call from my sons nursery who have said there and 2 children off with chickenpox. Does anyone have any advice on what's best to do with this,do I have to try and stay away from him ? 😒 Xx
treehouse

Katie11. Is it a patch or just extra hair on the pillow? How are you feeling? I know that is next on the list of changing changing daily symtoms.. .we have so much to look forward to πŸ˜‰ currently my face looks terrible a strange mix of acne and dry scales. Must encourage husband to take his glasses off in the house.
treehouse

Thanks Anniej. Its difficult to know what is normal symptom or not. I was on the verge of phoning but perked up. It is on my list to talk about at next appointment. To be honest I was too scared to phone and moan. I thought I would just burst into tears and fall apart so I just lay still and hoped it would pass . Thankfully it did. Stupid I know!
katie11

Don't know how normal my weekend will be , I'm day 15 and have noticed some loose hairs this morning eeekkk!
Anniej
Community Champion

Misyangel, my Onco is counting day 1 from the day after the chemo. Having told me days 7-14 would be where I was most vulnerable to infection as this is when your white platelets are at their lowest. Makes sense, as this is when the injections stop, which are helping the body make the platelets. I have been quite careful, using hand gels and anti bac wipes in public places, as I had a poor immune system anyway before this malarkey . Hope this helps. X

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Treehouse, my worst day was day 8 too, and not day 10 to 14 as my Onco warned me. So we are all very different. It was impressed upon me that I must phone the ward to report any symptoms that I was struggling with and they would take over . Pain meds, anti sick, diarrhoea etc. Are you able to do  that? I think you must, as it just knocks the stuffing out of you. Day 12 saw me doing really well, so I am hoping that it is the same for you. In fact, my husband thinks I've had a sudden injection of rocket fuel! Sending a big hug. X

misyangel

I had my first fec on friday last week, does the 7 day infection period start from the friday or the saturday does anyone know?  Feel human today had rough couple of days but love reading all your comments how they make me laugh.  Its great we are all able to share and ask for advise with each one of us at different stages

treehouse

AnnieA I hope yesterday went ok.
Mai7 thinking of you with round 2 x
Katie 11 have a great weekend. So good to hear people well and doing normal life.
I think I am back 😁 almost normal.
katie11

Welcome all new ladies x

Good luck today Mai7 thinking of you x

Treehouse love your son's comments , he is quite right in a way and at least he's been listening xx

All have a lovely weekend I'm going to angelsey for a couple of days break xx
Sarah19

No worries Mai7. I've read lots of bad things about it too. Still came as a shock lol.
Sarah19

The Injections unfortunately do add to the aches and pains. Particularly ur
Lower back, down ur thighs. When I was in hospital the doctor there told me that they also affect all the tiny bones in ur body as I was also having pains around My ears and in my wrists.
Clare01

Mai7
Community Champion

Hi Sarah19, good to hear from you. The Docetaxel sound as bad as I've read elsewhere for reactions. It is after all derived from the yew tree and who in their right mind would want to eat that! Thanks for eyebrow advice - I may need those videos at some point.

Mai7
Community Champion

Welcome to the group Debs_Staples. Yes loss of control and independence can be very frustrating. Just little things like not going into the supermarket to pick the right groceries you want. My Mum shopped for me yesterday, as we had completely run out of veg and my partner was too ill to shop. Mums interpretation of "Thai coconut soup" resulted in a carton of coconut milk! 

Treehouse, that's so funny. Just trying to imagine what kind of person could spend their time pretending to have breast cancer to chat to women with breast cancer!