1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

May 2017 chemo starters

misyangel

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

Annie when I spoke to them they said there was a waiting area for anyone who goes with you they can't actually go in the session.  There is tea and coffee available at the one I am going 

AnnieA

Hey, has anyone been on the look good feel better workshop? I've got a place this Monday but I'll only be day 5 post 2nd session. The work shop is an hour and 15 mins away on the bus so I'm wondering if I could take someone for support? Tried ringing the unit with no joy today.
Annie x
katie11

Ohey what sad news Rosie. Hope you're OK x
Rosie65

Yes it was sad, she was only 8 months. They thought she was getting better, she was a bit crazy though, the vet said in 20 years seeing 20 cats a day he'd never seen anything like it. I've seen the piece of stick I don't know how she managed to swallow it.

She was my daughter's kitten. My daughter was supposed to go to uni this year but was diagnosed with epilepsy and had to drop out and I agreed she could have a kitten as she would still be at home but since I've been at home I got quite attached to it. We are going to get another but maybe wait until the chemo's finished.

Daughter does have an unconditional place at uni for this year so that,'s good,  she came with me yesterday for chemo and we were talking about the gene and she said with my luck I've definitely inherited it and I had to agree lol . At least if she has, she'll be able to do something about it.

Mai7

Ladies, thank you for making me chuckle. I can totally relate to the wig and glasses scenarios. I have a small head and have a small sag at the base of the wig but assume you need this if you want to move the head back and forth without the wig slipping!? With the glasses, I have a spare pair with thin plastic arms which slide in really nicely and yes, they have to kind of go through the wig as under lifts it out and presses the glasses harder against your head. I had to take wig off early yesterday evening as it felt hot and was pressing on my scalp. I wonder if witch hazel gel might help? I might give it a go! 

Rosie, so sorry to hear about kitty, that's very sad news.

MJK, those pancakes sound awesome! 

treehouse

Oh no! 😒 sorry to hear about kitty. Was that after the stick accident? So sad. Will you get another?
Rosie65

I also have a small head and have had to tighten the straps. The ear things come down too low though and go over my ears rather than resting behind them and then that causes a problem with glasses as well.

Was told to put your four fingers sideways where your eyebrows are and where the fourth finger is that's where your hairline starts. There's lots of you tube videos (mostly American) on wig tips and tricks which are quite entertaining/informative.

My wig is currently sitting next to me on the settee as I wore it to go to Tesco Express and I keep thinking it's the kitten, who sadly passed away on Monday.

MJK

I'm trying it with a bamboo liner. I know what you mean about the rubbing. I have to go outside though to spare the carpet. I think my head is going to itch whatever I do. I have a fairly big head so the other liner dug into my scalp. I've put it in my bag before. It's like having asmall dog in there. πŸ‘œπŸ•
treehouse

Do you have adjuster straps at the back of your wig? I have a little head and need to move the Velcro to make it tighter. It did feel like it was slipping the other day and i imagined it was rising up and popping of the top of my head like a policemans helmet. Turned out it was the stocking underneath, slipping on my hair. It stays put better now i have shaved but i do get itchy above my ears. Ladies these wigs are really important to helping us cope with our treatment if they are not going the job, go back to the shop and get some help. Maybe you have the wrong size? Having said all that I am sitting here in a cap. πŸ˜‰
WolfEE

And don't even get me started again on the specs. The glasses go over the wig not under (oh my god the headache you get if u do)
I've almost snapped my arms on the specs doing this. I'm picking new glasses at the weekend but I'm worried I'll ruin the arms and then when I haven't got the wig on (most of the time at home etc) the arms will bent and slipping off!!
WolfEE

I get the line around my head from the band. I can manage about 4 hours now with it on but they are not comfy.
The day before yesterday what ever day that was I had appointment at the hospital and then I went out and about with my dad and in the car it got 2 the point I had 2 take it off luckily I had a cap with me. The only problem with that is what do you then do with the wig?? I had 2 screw it up and stuff it in my handbag!! I'm trying 2 think of an easy 2 carry not obvious way of carrying it around and protecting it if it has 2 come off before I reach home??
Rosie65

MJK/ treehouse - mine gets a bit itchy too after a while so can't wear it for very long.I have my hair in a very short, thin bob so maybe that protects it a bit. It means the stocking thing doesn't fit very well and I end up with an indentation across my forehead and a headache! So I've given up with that.

Yesterday, I whipped the wig off as I'd had enough of it and my daughter gasped and said " for God's sake mum can you give me some warning next time! 

WolfEE

Soz. All the running should have said rubbing!! My phone did that on its own !!
WolfEE

Knee high yes it looks the same bank robber πŸ˜‚ Let's see who can get on crime watch 1st.
I've been and got some almond oil I'm going 2 try running a bit in my head at night.
I've got a new fondness of running my stubble it feels so nice and helps I'm sure with my headache like a massage but I do it all the time. I used 2 twist my hair maybe it's my subconscious replacing the act.
Do you think as I don't have weight of long hair I may keep the stubble. I like the slight dark look on the head rather than pure skin colour. It doesn't appear to come out like the long hair was?
treehouse

Hi MJK. Do you have the stocking thing to wear under your wig? Looks like a knee high/ bank robber mask.
MJK

Tribble is so itchy it's unwearable 😯 so currently in headscarves. Tips on making the wig wearable welcome...
MJK

Buckwheat pancakes and fresh fruit smoothie for breakfast. Berries have some fab cancer fighting stuff in them so enjoy. The prawns, soft cheese thing is tricky one but my view (based on my Dad who was a food scientist) is that there's a big difference between the soft cheese/ prawns off a market stall and those you get in the supermarket who have to have very tight standards. As with meats and bagged salads, store them properly and you should be fine.
katie11

I wouldn't worry ladies it's only guidence. Think the main thing is making sure food is cooked properly xx
Mai7

Ladies, I'm feeling good again this morning after fatigue yesterday evening. So ready to put Lola back on and face the day.

Trisha, I still have around 50% of my hair but losing daily. Its shaved but going more bald on top. I feel more like me with the wig though. It's like Ratchr said before, the chemo is a treatment to make you get better but actually makes you look more ill! 

Rosie, I think we are also breakfast twins cos I also have porridge some days and add my own apple and blueberries. I've also discovered a Natural buckwheat cereal which has cinnamon in which is really nice and I add a few crushed nuts and hemp and chai seed to it with almond milk.

Oh, katie, Ive eaten a bit of Camembert and prawns but should probably reconsider! Oops

Rosie65

Mai - we were definitely chemo twins yesterday. I had cottage pie for dinner too! Hope you're feeling ok today

Gelclair sounds good , I'll ask about that. Am starting on the mouthwashes today, I'm terrified of the throat ulcers coming back.

Wolf EE good luck with the blood tests today

Trisha69

This group is amazing .... so much support.  Ive only had 1 chemo and thiught I would be ok on the last 6 days, feel **bleep**, ache, hate the no 2 hair cut but love the wig .  Have even stopped playing candy crush πŸ˜‰

xx

Rosie65

Ha ha yes the humour on here is just what we need at times

Feeling good today but hungry!

Wolfee - I usually have porridge for breakfast now with different toppings - either strawberries/ blueberries, grated apple and cinnamon or bananas and honey. It's easy to eat with a sore mouth too

katie - had some prawns the other day, didn't know about shellfish

Trisha69

I am the total  opposite, green beans with loads of butter, peas, broccoli and sod the fruit ;x

katie11

Morning ladies, you do all make me giggle love it!

WolfEE my nurse says it's like a pregnancy diet So avoid shellfish , blue cheese and runny eggs . Soft cheese like phili is fine xx
Trisha69

Bald as a coot, blind as a bat and as fat as a Cumberland sausage.......

That was back in 1969.   Makes me laugh coz am all of the above apart from the sausage.

Hate my new hair but the wig is smashing, dont kbow how to post a picture on here...its long and blonde xx

WolfEE

Morning all, does anyone know if we can eat low fat cheese spread. Tesco do a soft cheese in a tub that has a chilli flavour I've always eaten it on my ryvita but the nurse was telling me 2 avoid some cheese and I was confused so I've stuck with cheader because I knew it was safe.
I've gained so much weight since diagnosis I am a comfort eater and I've alway had 2 be strict for years I've relied on protein shakes weekdays for breakfast / lunch but they have soy. I've been eating carbs and biscuits galore and it's really showing. I was shocked during my appointment yesterday when I was weighed approx 10 lbs in two weeks (I deserve that though)
Anyway I love my dark ryvita with this cheese on but not sure if we can have?

Anyone having treatment today? I have my blood tests late morning ready for Monday all being well.
Mai7

WolfEE, sometimes I ask myself the same question. It must be like an Alice in Wonderland themed pinball machine in there! If I can make anyone smile again that is a good thing. If my sense of humour is too corny for anyone, I do apologise.....but only a bit! πŸ˜† πŸ™Š Xx

WolfEE

Maggie aitken, thank you for your reassurance yesterday. Today I feel a bit more positive (getting there or accepting it if nothing else) and all you other ladies who helped with your messages on my bad day. X
πŸ‘πŸ€žπŸ’ͺπŸ’•
WolfEE

Mai7 - what must it be like inside your head how do these things keep popping in. Keep them coming though your imagination are the highlights of my day.
Xx πŸ˜‚ ❀️
Mai7

Treehouse, you can honestly say "I went off my trolley today"! πŸ˜†

New updates live: I got an unexpected addition to my goodie bag for sore mouth and ulcers "Gelclair". It can be given out from nurses and you don't need a prescription. You can dilute it depending on the severity of the soreness.

Mai7

Rosie, I'm doing good,chemo twin πŸ‘―.  That kinda sucks that you have 9 Instead of 4 but if it offsets the gene factor then good. What the EC - love it.  We went to vote, walked about a mile, had a quorn cottage pie for teas with frozen peas and broccoli (clearly too lazy to cook properly) and having a restful evening. Feeling a bit lethargic. xx

Treehouse, when you are having a marshmallow day it's ok to be a drama queen but make sure you share it with us and we'll toughen you back up again into a chew or boiled sweet! 🍬🍭 Now I'm thinking of the Simon and Garfunkel song lyrics from You can call me Al "why am I soft in the middle when the rest of my life is so hard". xx

Mai7

MKJ, Fruitcakes standing! I just laughed out load! Guided imagery humour is just as good as guided imagery meditation, I reckon! πŸ‘πŸΌ πŸ––πŸ½

treehouse

Just been to polling station then popped into the shop for some bits. Suddenly remembered it was my low immune week and rushed back to car leaving hubby with the trolley. I feel quite normal clearly.
MJK

Welcome Debs, I'm on 3 FEC Followed by 3T. Second dose next Thursday, I have a 4 year old son. Sadly, Mai7 cheesecake wasn't on the ballot paper πŸ§€πŸ° ❌on the other hand there are generally a few fruitcakes standing. πŸ˜€ I hope you and Rosie are doing ok.
treehouse

Nice one Rosie. Drama free is the way to be. X hugs
Rosie65

Round 3 done and dusted and back home. None of your drama treehouse!!!

Although at first it seemed I had no blood in my veins which was a bit of a concern lol

Mai7  hope my chemo twin is ok. Love the phrase what the FEC - although mine's only what the EC

I was also 4+ 4 but now the goal post's been moved its 4 +9 hah wish I'd never told the Onc about the gene

Welcome Debs -I read the posts for a while before I joined in but it's been the best thing I did. It makes you feel less alone on this journey.

katie - cheesecake sounds nice but not sure I'm up to it today. Just had tomato soup

And I have a large bag of marshmallows, have craved them throughout treatment, they're easy to eat when you have a sore mouth

Mai7

MJK, your post is really funny (or is it my chemo-brain)! It reads like you've been out today to vote for cheesecake! I think cheesecake ruling the country could make everyone happier than politicians do! πŸ˜‚ X

Mai7

Hi Debs, welcome to our lively little group. I'm Nikki and have 2 kids in Uni age 19 and 20. I just got back from chemo no.3 and feeling fine.

katie11

Welcome Debs, it's a lovely little group who are very supportive no matter what weird questions / place you find yourself in. We are all at different stages and have different forms of breast cancer so feel free to share anything. I too have a young family. My boys are 8 and 5 next month xx
AnnieA

Welcome Debbie, I too have a young family my little boy is in nursery, and my daughter is 13. You made a good call joining this group all the ladies are incredible x
misyangel

Hi debs, welcome aboard. We are both having the same.  I have just had my second fec last Friday the weeks are going by so quick and I am just on countdown to October when all the chemo is over πŸ˜€

treehouse

Welcome debs. Hope you are well. We are here to listen, share, give advice, moan and laugh.
It keeps me going knowing others are on this journey while the world keeps turning without me.
WolfEE

Hi debs, welcome and we would love 2 have you in our group. Hope your managing ok especially with a young family I admire you, I don't have any children and can't imagine how difficult it must be I struggle with only myself 2 care for.
Xxxxxxx
WolfEE

What the FEC πŸ˜‚
I'm so using that phrase now.
WolfEE

Mai7, your in today - good luck I'll be thinking of you xx
debs_staples

Hi I'm Debbie have just had my 3rd chemo having 4 fecs  then 4 d/t. Wanted to ask if I could join your group  Would be great to be able to be a support and share advice and support. Wasnt ready until this point to join a group. Also have young family ( little girl at nursery ).

katie11

I'll send you all a virtual piece xx

I'm good thanks anniea. I can tell it's my good week before round 3 next week. Today I've taken the boys to school, changed beds and cleaned upstairs. Done the washing and made cheesecake and healthy coconut bars . Phew! Just need to walk the dog x
MJK

Hope today goes well Mai7. The cheese cake sound delicious Katie. I had a postal vote so I've had a say, although my polling station is closer than the nearest post box.
treehouse

Lol nyom πŸ˜….
We are all getting there. It is going faster than I thought.
Mai7

Treehouse, Nah, I'm on 4+4 so it will be 3 down 5 to go. Just pacing myself to complete the marathon!

thanks Katie, hope you are doing well. Enjoy making the yummy cheesecake. I'm going to engage in guided imagary meditation and imagine what it will taste like...... Om......Nyom.......Yom.....Yum..... πŸ˜‚