1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May 2017 chemo starters

treehouse

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

Hi Maryann. Glad you found us. I can honestly say the waiting limbo you are in right now is the worst part.I don't say that to make you feel bad. Just once treatment starts you feel better knowing you are fighting. I forget that our crazy conversation can be viewed by anyone. OMG we have discussed lady gardens and more. Lol. Keep asking questions and let us know when you find out what your treatment plan is. We are all here for you. 😊
katie11

I currently awaiting the result of my genetic test too. No history but I am triple negative xx

Must be quite fun reading it in one go! Lol . These forums are definitely a good support network. You don't feel as alone . Even though you have people around you , they don't quite get it xx
Maryann

Thank you 😊 yes very keen to get started, just think the longer the wait the more time it has to grow! surgery will follow the chemo as I have to get the gene test (my mum and gran both had BC) so the results of that will determine what will happen.
Glad I found you all,I have laughed and cried reading you journey's definitely good to keep the humour 😂 xx
katie11

Omg chemo brain or what. Sorry MaryAnn. And it should say I can remember! !!!
katie11

Hi Marryann. I can't remember exactly how you are feeling but you will get through this and will surprise yourself how strong you are. I've just had round 3 this morning and all went fine. The anticipation is much worse than the actual event in all Ive been through.. (I've already had surgery and will have radiotherapy after chemo) stay strong and we are here if you need us xx
WolfEE

Hi Maryann, I'm glad you found us and welcome to our group we all know how you are feeling right now and it is so very scary (still is) but it really does help to talk ask your questions and have support from others who are feeling and doing the same.
We will do our best to ease your anxiety and support you and we will all get through this together.
Come and chat with us as and when you need and I promise you the days will get easier. Once you have your plan and dates set you do kind of accept it and it becomes easier once you start treatment and you know you are actively doing something to rid this horrible intruder your mind adjusts and it does get that tiny bit easier.
Wishing you the best xxxxx
Mai7

Ah, bless you MaryAnn. Sorry to hear of your diagnosis.  Straight after the diagnosis really is the toughest time. It's like being hit by a truck and then you have to wait for treatment to start, which is a very anxious time. Once your plan swing into action it feels better. As you've probably noticed on this thread, we've all gone a bit bonkers, whether that's the chemo or a genetic tendency is still to be confirmed! Wishing you the very best for your treatment ahead. Be kind to yourself and allow others to help as it helps them to cope to. Xxx

Maryann

Hi ladies, I just wanted to pop in and say hello and thank you!
I have just been diagnosed last week, all I remember are the words breast cancer, chemo and genetics so will need to ask loads of questions. I posted on a forum just diagnosed and was advised to look on this thread regarding the chemo.
I may sound like a stalker here but I have read your thread from beginning to now and it has helped me immensely understand what I have in front of me and I do not feel as scared (still am tho). I have to go for an ecg tomorrow then oncology on the 27th so I guess chemo will start next month, just as the kids finish up for summer 😣

Any way well done to you all so far and keep up the fight 💪👊😊
Feels like I've come to the end of a good book lol
Take care everyone ❤ xx
WolfEE

Is this number two for you now tomorrow MKJ. I've just done number two Monday. It hasn't felt much different overall apart from the 1st day with the headache and hand pain but not it's averaging out fairly the same but perhaps a little more tired this time.
Hope all goes well for you tomorrow ill be thinking of you. X
MJK

Oncologist appointment this morning. White blood cell count has fallen quite a bit but still ok for second dose tomorrow. Drinking lots. I hope today is going well Katie. X
Rosie65

Good luck today Katie and MJK , thinking of you both xx

katie11

Thanks treehouse. So do I x

Good luck MJK x
treehouse

Good luck today Katie and Mjk. Hope all goes to plan and is drama free x😊
Mai7

WolfEE, it depends whether you plan to have your toes out in the sun! 

MJK, Doh, can't believe my nurse told me to paint my nails for FEC sake!! Ah, well, they look alright black. I'm quite getting into the goth look!

Treehouse, I've never been blessed with luxury hair. It's kind of fine and fly away (or should I say "was" Lol!) Electric blue sounds funky.

treehouse

That makes sense, I am due round 3 docetaxel on Monday 😡
MJK

My chemo nurse said that it's the docetaxol that makes the nails go black so that's when I'd need to paint them. Until then I'm using nail oil to keep them in condition. I hope the aching veins and hands get better. Oncologist appointment tomorrow before round 2 on Thursday. I hope things go well tomorrow Katie. X
WolfEE

Hi All, they told me that some feeling in the site is normal but look out for brushing and if it swells but tenderness should go ??
I'm just digging out my nail polish now I have a black or a dark red?? I'm about to have a bath, oil my head and paint my nails.
What about our feet do we need to do toe nails also???
Xxxxx
treehouse

How is your hand Wolfee? Did you call 📞?
Nails are bow dark electric blue 💅
treehouse

Thanks Mai, I think I will get the nail polish out again I had gone them quite dark for the first couple of weeks but then swapped to a pale nail strengthener. I will use it as undercoat. The skin feels like it is pulling away and the nails don't feel as secure, almost wobbly. ,😠
My hair was never great but I always took pride in my nails. I know this sounds stupid!
Mai7

Treehouse, the nurse told me to paint them black to protect them from sun damage. I've kept them painted black so far and no problems with peeling or breaking but now you've said, I'm looking at one nail which has the paint quite chipped and thinking it looks patchy at the nail bed, cream and purple! Yikes! I'll just paint it black again so I don't have to look at it!

treehouse

Has anyone noticed any nail changes yet? My cuticles have been dry and flaky for a while but I moisturizer lots. Today the cuticles seem to have disappeared completely and the nail bed underneath is purple. I was warned the nails might discolour and fall off. Aaahh! That to me would be worse than losing my hair. How do you cover your hands?
Eeeek!
Mai7

Katie, hope tomorrow goes well. If I can't get my sparkle, I'll just drink some J2O glitter juice!

Rosie, yes, Gelclair - I used some this morning. It's really thick but you can add a bit of water depending on severity of mouth pan.

Rosie65

Thanks ladies. The chemo unit asked me to go down there and get checked over. They're reluctant to prescribe antibiotics so got some Gelclair - I think you mentioned that Mai- and to let them know if it doesn't improve. Was worried it was an infection so happy to be reassured.

Glad to hear you have more energy today Mai; it's all too easy to think we're fine and then end up doing too much.

Wolfee - I'll try the bicarbonate too; luckily at the moment all is well down below. Long may that remain, Hope you're veins have warmed up. Hopefully, the weather is good where you are, I'm in the south east and it's a lovely, sunny day here.

treehouse - cobweb detector sounds like an excellent job, better than working from home which I'm attempting today.

Good luck for round 3 tomorrow Katie at least you've remembered to drink the water, I forgot last time and they had trouble with my veins. Was pleased to hear no injections with Paclitaxel, I won't be sorry to see the back of those.

katie11

How you feeling wolfee and rosie?

Thanks for websites Mai7 I'll take a look. Hope you get some sparkle back xx

Glad your fluffy bald head has found a use treehouse! Lol x

I'm currently trying to drink 2 litres of water before round 3 tomorrow! Sick of visiting the toilet! X
Mai7

Ladies, for anyone like me who is now looking to reduce their chemical load in products and get more natural, I've found a couple of really good websites:

ethicalsuperstore.com

greenshop.co.uk

Ive felt a bit better today, I think I need to learn to slow down a bit. On Saturday I tried to be too active on domestics and wore myself out which has taken until today to recover the energy! Note to self: You are not superwomen or wonderwoman! 💪🏼

Rosie, your poor mouth, it sounds miserable to not be able to eat. Hope you get something from GP soon to fix that. 

WolfEE, like Treehouse, I suffer with Raynauds (my fingers swell up when hot or if I have wine) but the chemo hasn't caused any coldness in my hands. Just had some tenderness in the lower arms which is probably a bit of vein damage. Have you called the chemo line to find out if it's anything to worry about?

treehouse

Found the energy to do some housework. Decided my fluffy bald head is a most excellent cob web detector😉
WolfEE

Rosie65, poor you I'm so sorry sounds awful. Yes call them the treatment for oral thrush is prescribed I don't think you can get yourself at a chemist.
My oncologist suggested to use a bicarbonate mouth wash daily and also use some in hot wather for washing down below it can help prevent or make both not so bad. I must say I have stocked up but have yet used myself. I get so lazy but I will because it is a common side affect so better try and prevent than wait for it to happen or get so bad.
I hope you get something you can pick up today. And get some relief soon so that you can eat.
Let us know how you get on xxxxx
Rosie65

Treehouse - I was the same for first three days, just comfort eating to combat the nausea and eating loads and then when this kicks in I go the other way.

It is so difficult to exercise and I feel the same, scared that I might overdo it. I used to run three times a week but now can barely walk round a much shorter route without sitting down. I make myself go for a walk and I put my music on and I do feel better afterwards even if I'm not out for long

treehouse

Oh Rosie that sounds miserable. Hope you get something to fix it soon. I lost half a stone from diagnosis to start of treatment. But put it back on as I keep eating to fight nausea. I will try to keep it steady now if i can but really don't have the energy to exercise more than gentle walking. Herceptin can affect the heart and everytime my heart rate goes up I feel it and get scared.
Wolfee first treatment was 8 hours. Second was 6. They are trying to push it faster but I got chest pains so they slowed it down again.
WolfEE

I might try one of the microwave heat wheat pad things? I'll have a look on amazon maybe using that each day and squeezing on a stress ball might help??
Rosie65

Hi Wolfee it's probably best to just ring helpline for advice/reassurance. It's probably nothing to worry about at all but that's what they're there for.

Day 6 for me and I'm about to ring them myself - have got bad case of oral thrush, same day as last time. All over throat, tonsils and difficult to swallow. I know you don't want to hear this ladies but I'm struggling to keep weight on as it's so painful to eat !

WolfEE

Six hours!!! Gosh that's a long time is that eveytime you go. Wow well done you xxx whenis your next one?
treehouse

Mmm. I have Raynauds syndrome and get very cold yellow fingers but it does not sound like that. I do get aching veins for a couple of days but my treatment is different and after 6 hours of being on a drip I expect it. If it is worrying you, call the help line. They will put your mind at rest or check you out. I keep getting asked about tingling fingertips as I think nerve damage is another side effect. Sending hugs x
WolfEE

Morning Treehouse,
It's mostly my hand along the top it aches and my hand just feels cold (not to touch) but like cold running through my vein still. My arm feels ok. It is a little stiff. It looks ok not swollen. Very uncomfortable.
WolfEE

Morning Misyangel,
I had my arm rested on a small hot water bottle. In the night I rubbed some ibrogel on my hand it's helped a bit. It doesn't feel right still.
I can only use one arm during chemo because of lympth node biopsy so can't alternate each time.
treehouse

Hi Wolfee, how is your hand this morning? Is it the whole hand or just finger tips? Does it look different? Does it go away if you put it in warm water?
misyangel

Hi Wolfee, I havn't had cold hands but both of my arms running up feel like my vein are aching and feel like i have been lifting weights

Did they use a heat pack whilst you were having it injected,  I have always used this and I keep it on until they have finished putting it all in,

WolfEE

Sorry for the many typos in that vein message x
WolfEE

Has anyone else had a cold hand? I didn't feel this last time but my hand (veins) still feel like something cold running through them my hand feels uncomfortable and cold???
I've been home hours not treatment started 10:30 this morning. It's not painful just feels really cold and a bit stiff if anyone has felt this does it ware odd quite soon?
Xx
treehouse

Hi ladies. In one of my lovely gift boxes was some scalp oil. I have just done some research and the range also does skin care and makeup specially for cancer / chemo ladies. Jennifer young defiant beauty. They are very strict about what they put in their products. Don't think it is cheap though. X
Mai7

Thanks WolfEE, I'll try and get some frozen yoghurt.  My injections are for 5 days this time. I think it depends on your white blood cell count as to whether you need them or not for FEC but for Docetaxol I've been told it will be 7 days of injections each cycle as standard.  I don't think round 3 has felt any worse but I just feel like I've lost my sparkle today a bit. I feel like Matt paint instead of gloss!

Treehouse, I managed to shepherd all of my cells together and go for a short walk this evening, even though I didn't feel like it. I told my partner that I felt like my cells were dying and he said "that's good as it means the cancer cells are dying too".  It's probably just the dry mucous membranes that make you feel that effect.

Katie, hope you get some rest after the game.

My son is home for a couple of days and is now choosing a film for us to watch together.

treehouse

Glad to hear that wolfee 😁. And remember rest days are when you're fighting the hardest. My mum swore by positive visualization. She still talks about her white soldiers now.
WolfEE

Treehouse I don't know why but I feel this one will work so kick ass - yep I think I might x
katie11

Mai7 I would go to bed but am currently sat watching my son at football pratice for 2 hours!!!!!

I'm the same as you treehouse. I start day 2 for 7 days. When I start weekly on paciltaxol though I don't have them thank goodness so just one more set of them to go x
treehouse

Ooh that's interesting. So when do you girls do injections and how many? I start on day 2 and have 7.
I know what you mean about cellular degeneration...mine starts with throat, then as that heals, my skin dries and cracks mostly sides of my mouth so eating is difficult. Then mucous membrane ( nose and girl bits) . Then intestine start causing diarrhoea.
It has been nowhere near as bad this time.
WolfEE

Mai7, frozen yogurt or ice cream helps throat, mood and all sorts.
I was told last time I woukd have injections on my next session (today) but then today they told me I don't need them on FEC it's when I switch onto the T that I'll have them??
I'm glad the injections petrify me but I'm also worried that they made a mistake?? Perhaps it's me taking the information in wrong.
Has round 3 felt worse that first and second would you say? Your doing so well you've got one more FEC? Then you'll start T.
Xx
Mai7

WolfEE, glad today went well and pleased for you that you'll be getting a scan.

Katie, go to bed and rest, now!

Im FEC 3 day 5. First day of injections and feel a bit (I can't even put it into words) like I have some energy but can't get motivated to use it and a general feeling of cellular degeneration. My throat feels dry but not sore. 

treehouse

Wolfee glad you have a scan sooner helps to put your mind at rest and nice to know the docs are listening and act when we find unexpected lumps. Relax and let round 2 kick it's ass! 😁
WolfEE

Hahah Katie, your doing alright xxx u get there in the end xxx
katie11

Sorry should have said wolfEE after your treatment today , (told you I'm gonna write today off) x