1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

May 2017 chemo starters

WolfEE

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

Anniej, your in as well. 3rd time this is really hitting you hard I'm so sorry is there a connection are you reacting on a drug or sometime or is it just bad luck and an unrelated infection each time?
Are you on the mend now does it look like you can get home soon?
Thinking of you also wishing get strong quick xxxxx
Anniej
Community Champion

Snap, Trisha. Been in since Thursday when my temp shot up to 38.6 and I went into full blown  rigor. Three chemos and three hospital admissions, what's all that about?  Looks like the line will have to come out. My experience is that once the first 48 hrs are over re meds you will feel much better. Just got to get the neutrophils up. Are they injecting you to get platelets going? X

treehouse

Keep in touch Trish. I hope you get some rest. X x x
WolfEE

Trisha69, omg poor you, hoping you get the infection under control quick.
How did you realise you needed the hospital was it that you were feeling far worse outside the chemo SEs or was it raised temperature?
I'll be thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery.
Keep us updated xxxxxxxx
Trisha69

Have a couple of new cancer friends in the area. But family miles away. Ill be ok. Just want sleep but got wait the nurse swap antibiotics over to fluids. Then can hopefully sleep til 2am when they wake me up for obs. Thanku all of you. I would be lost without this site. Sweet dreams all xx
Rosie65

Oh no Trish that's not good, but as you say you are in the best place.  Big hug xxx

treehouse

Oh god Trish!!!!
Sending hugs. What happened? Are you feeling any better? Do you have support?
Here for you x
Trisha69

So my day went from bad to worse. Am in hospital with Neutropenic Sepsis. My levels at 0.5
On IV antibiotics and fluids. Waiting for chest x ray. The mouth ulcers still agony. But at least am in the best place. X
Mai7

Awww, that's is so sweet Treehouse. X

treehouse

My gorgeous little step daughter left a note on my bed. She had a school task to write a sentence to make someone smile. She chose me. Saying she knows my treatment is tough but I am not alone. Bless her. Happy tears ๐Ÿ˜‚ x
misyangel

Wolfee my bum has been the same I use Anesol but when I went to see my oncolgist she recommend having the movecall drink as this wil soften the stool as I felt like it was the stools cutting my bum and I had lots of blood in the toilet.  Not very pleasant is it this chemo business

Mai7

WolfEE, that's definitely sounds like piles or a fissure or both. I've used sudocreme and have found it helps, as does anusol. You may want to try dulcoease stool softener (available from Boots) if senokot and fybogel aren't helping but only use when proper constipated or it can make you go the other way!  I had an endoscopy just before Christmas to investigate bleeding, turned out it was piles.

I haven't noticed my smell being affected whilst on FEC, but that may change when I switch to Docetaxol (which I will rename dozy-tax-hell as it seems to make everyone sleepy!)

My daughter just came home for the weekend so it will be nice to have some family time together.

I posted a few inspirational quotes in the coffee lounge>hope and inspiration. You can shortcut to them by clicking on my profile though as they are all in pictures which get saved to your profile.

I just received another book today which I'm hoping will help me navigate through all of the post-treatment complimentary therapies. It's called "alternative cancer cures what's the alternative" by Chris Woollams.

busybeeS

Hi WolfEE. I'm having the bottom issue as well, but only when I go to loo. Was going to phone help line yesterday but wasn't sure how to start that conversation! I decided to take senokot and see if it helps. I'm on day 11, last cycle the pain peaked on day 12 so not looking forward to tmrw... usually last 3-4 days then eases. I'll try to get through it this time and ask next time I go for treatment if there's anything I can take/use. I guess the lining has been 'stripped so nerves are a bit exposed. Hope you find something to help.
Saw oncologist for a review meeting in week, she asked if periods had stopped - haven't had 1 since end April. Guess what made an appearance today?! No wonder I've been raiding the cupboards!
Hope everyone's been able to get out and enjoy the day.
treehouse

Sounds like it might be piles. See gp. Mine gave me Anusol. You can get it at boots. Or it might be side effects. Bleeding is a sign of low platelets . Try not to worry, eat lots of fruit and granola always helps soften things for me. Good luck x
WolfEE

My smell is so exaggerated I've had to stop my sister using cocobutter after her shower if we are watching tv because the smell (that I normally love was making me ill)
My appetite has doubled even tripled I used to try eat low carb now breakfast toast, lunch cheese on toast, dinner pizza or tonnes of pasta, snacks of chewy sweets, crisps, biscuits, ice cream - I'm eating like crazy!

So....... my bottom is really sore I'm dreading the next time I have to go! Even sitting hurts and there is blood when I go. Does this sound like piles? I will call doctors on Monday and try and get an appointment but I'm so uncomfortable so very very sore. Are we allowed to use sudocream I was told avoid becaue of the lavender but I think i may and use it regardless I have to do something.
MJK

Good to hear you're out enjoying the sun. X
treehouse

Mmmmm prawns ๐Ÿค I am being a good girl but will definitely be having a big dinner out when all this is over. Medium rare steak, sea food, pate. All the yummy stuff. This has not affected my appetite ๐Ÿ˜. Finally made it out in the sun with the family.
MJK

Ooh, they have to have cucumber in. Just had avocados and prawns for lunch. I'm such a rebel. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
treehouse

Cheese and cucumber sandwiches for the last 3 days lol ๐Ÿ˜
MJK

I can't cope with the fridge smell either (it was the same in pregnancy). Day 3 is the worst for me too. My craving is cheese and marmite sandwiches. Clovelly is a lovely spot if a bit cobbled under foot.
misyangel

Treehouse I love to burn incense and my yankee candles but on my first week I can't stand the smell of any of them
treehouse

Platelet count was my problem. And that suggested avoiding tonic. Please don't panic.
Getting up for a shower. Does anyone else have issues with everything smelling funny.? I was like this last round, couldn't cope with the fridge.
misyangel

Kate11 - Yes It was picked up via blood test.  Think we will all be experts on all these things by the end of treatment.  PS Hope we can have tonic water as it is the only drink I enjoy.  I got this tip of the breast surgeoun with breastcancer blog that someone posted.  Really interesting reading.

Trish69 - It is Clovelly we are going, it is right on the lakes as my husband and his dad love to fish as well.

MJK & MAI7, ROISE65,Treehouse thanks for hugs send cyber hug right back at your

ROSIE65 thanks for the tips will take a look at the site, I have been reading up on food to eat to help with it.  Last time I had my chemo because I had sorness down below I was given a 21 day course of antibiotics which I was told it was a fungus infection, I didn't think it was fungus as my skin had blistered on the outside.  I still got the blisters and at my review she said it can't be fungus as it would have stopped that.  So this time I am ot taking the antibiotics.  You don't know what effect all the medication and chemo you take has on things like that, so will be interesting when I go back next time..  Laughing at your cravings I was craving hummous and cheese and onion pasties, its really tough as you just have to eat what you fancy.  Another one of mine is vanilla slices lol.

Treehouse It is really horrible when you are in the rough week as at the time you don't see no end in site.  I get very weepy and down by the Sunday/Monday.  I think the lack of energy for me is really tough as I am like a whirlwind normally.  My worst day to go from last two is day 3.

Trisha69

LOL thats funny!

Rosie65

Big hug treehouse - sorry to hear you're still not feeling too good.

Yes chemo sucks, but if it sucks the cancer right out of you then Yay chemo!

Think Mai posted that in inspirational quotes

treehouse

Thinking of you misyangel this must be hard for your family . I understand we all want treatment to stay on track but you more than the rest of us. I am sorry I know nothing about liver function ๐Ÿ˜’. Sending Hugs

Rosie that's funny we have to find humour in all this.

I am on day 3 in bed managed to get up for a couple of hours to shower and eat. Fed up of feeling like my body is broken. I know what you mean about cell death, my lump aches which I take as a good sign.
The worst bit is I can't cope with hugs from hubby and that's what I want. I get too hot and my skin and muscles are so sensitive it is uncomfortable.
Chemo sucks!
Rosie65

My niece has bought me a foam head named Polly for my wig. Just in time too as returning from chemo on Thurs I whipped the wig off straight away as I was hot and flung it on a corner table. Daughter walks in, sees my wig and thinks I've collapsed, face down on the table. Fortunately she quickly saw I was fine and we haven't stopped laughing about it since.

Have only seen Whatsapped pictures of Polly so far wearing sunglasses and scarves!

Rosie65

Hugs to Trisha and misyangel - there always seems to be something new to deal with, as if we don't already have enough!

No one has mentioned liver function levels to me but I'm not on FEC. I have had kidney function test prior to having carboplatin and researched this on Macmillan site. There's some comments on their forum re liver function levels and FEC so you might find some help on there.

Also had lovely holidays in Lyme Regis when the kids were younger

My son is home for a few days which is lovely as Im on a staying in managing side effects weekend, and having a few family members over for picnic lunch - although as Katie said where's the sun gone?

Am craving healthy hummus and cruditรฉs and unhealthy sausage rolls

Mai7

MisyAngel and Trisha, hugs to you both as you deal with other life stresses on top of an already demanding regime for BC. Have a fab time in Devon MisyAngel.

Lyme Regis is an awesome place, happy memories of taking my kids there when they were younger.

MJK

Hugs to Trisha and missyangel. I hope you have better days today. Lyme Regis is a lovely spot. I grew up on the east side of Dartmoor if you're heading that way I can tell you some lovely and accessible spots. X
Trisha69

PS I have a PICC line and its a godsend, was easy to fit and District Nurse flushes it weekly and takes the bloods 2 days before treatment.
Trisha69

Fingers crossed for the log cabin! Which Which part of Devon? I moved to East Devon 2 years ago, am near Lyme Regis and love it! 15 mins to the beach ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a good weekend x
katie11

Hugs to Trish and misyangel! Must be hard when you both have other problems to handle during this difficult time.

Can't offer any advice on the liver problem though misyangel. Was it just picked up from blood test?

Will have to read up on tonic water thanks treehouse. Shame if we can't drink it as it is one drink I have found that is quite refreshing! Glad you liked the g&t Mai. It is a nice treat drink, especially in the sun xx

Enjoy your Saturday ladies although not quite sure where the sun has gone x
misyangel

Hi all been for 3rd fec today and just as he put the canula in he went to get the drugs and came back and said your liver function is to high i need to get hold of your oncologist to check it can go ahead I was thinking grrr why would you put canula in, thankfully she said yes, apparently it supposed to be 49 and it was 149.  Really hoping it is going to be ok for next treatment as we are booked in a log cabin in Devon with my inlaws after next treatment, as unfortunately my father in law was diagnosed terminal the day before me so it's a last holiday together as a family.  Has anyone else had problems with liver function?

Trisha69

Sounds wonderful! My diet today consists of ice cream x
treehouse

Big hug Trish. So wish we could all meet up and discuss everything over many bottles of wine, sea food and soft cheese. Then dance the night away.
Back in the real world!
Trisha69

So FED up!

Throat no better was given gelclair sachets yesterday.

Had the ambulance out at 4am because I was choking and couldnt catch my breath or swallow.  They managed to calm me.  Then the Doc rang at 9am and said its Oral Thrush.  Picked the prescription up at midday.  Had a sleep, same again couldnt swallow or breath properly, back to the Docs and now got a throat spray Benzydamine.

The boyfriend ...... didnt see him for 2 1/2 weeks then needed lifts, loving all week until I start feeling poorly then he turns nasty.  Im a demanding lazy Biatch.  (Says he, that does nothing but sit and drink all day)

Turns everything around, said he would sleep in spare room because its been so hot but no I wont allow him in the bedroom!  He is a psycho.  Sent him away again, cant be doing with the stress.  Says he has no one to talk to..... The offers are everywhere he is just lazy.

Rant over, peaceful albeit painful evening ahead xx

treehouse

Take care with tonic if you have low blood count. Same with diet drinks. Was looking it up last week. But brain is too fuzzy to remember the details.
Mai7

Katie, I forgot to mention that I tried the coop alcohol-free G&T drinks and liked them. It somehow feels nice to say "I'm going to have a G&T" even if you're not quite having one! Last night I made a tonic water and put in some juniper berries, fresh ginger and coriander leaves and a splash of angustora bitters. It was good. I usually only have a fizzy drink treat on week 3! 

Mai7

Treehouse, I have tried the Yannoh "coffee" and I like it, I bought it on Amazon. It's a bit like an Ethiopian coffee, mild, smooth and nutty/woody.

i also keep my nails short. My toe nails don't seem to be suffering the same side effects as my finger nails. I wonder if that's because the chemo goes in close to the fingers? Might ask nurse to put it in my feet veins next week! I'm sure they will laugh at me!

Katie, we don't have any specific plans this weekend but if the weather is good we'll be entering leafy green places! I live in the Midlands so plenty of green but no sea โ˜น๏ธ so we try and go to reservoirs, lakes and canals instead, as much as possible.  I'm on my good week now so got to make the most of it before obsessive side effect management kicks in again!

Hope you have a good weekend everyone!

treehouse

I have not had coffee ๐Ÿต or alcohol ๐Ÿท for 7 weeks!!!!!!
Right now I don't care but sometimes I really miss them.
Have you tried the alternative Mai7? Where from? Is it nice?
treehouse

Hi Mai, Katie and Rosie. I have 3 more treatments to go.
MRI was because they couldn't size it accurately with ultrasound and my boobs are tiny and lump too high to see it properly on mammograms.
I actually find hearing that our treatments are individual and personalised quite comforting ....better than being on a conveyor belt.
I am Just trying to feel normal this weekend. I know this will pass. ๐Ÿ˜ก
katie11

Hi Ladies, hope you are all getting the rest you need !

I never thought of cell death hurting before but it does make sense. Im always paranoid about it already returning every time I have a new ache or pain.

I've also been using that solar oil and my nails are holding up. Was advised to keep them short and seem ok at minute. I did however cut my toe nails the other day and they did feel quite thin?

Any nice plans for the weekend ladies? I'm on my low week this week so I'm having a Homemade afternoon tea with frinds tomorrow x
Mai7

I'm lymph node positive but wasn't offered a bone scan, just CT scan to check for mets which was clear.  I get paranoid about mets as I'm sure everyone does, it's kind of weird to feel scared of your own body at times! It's like living in a house with woodworm infestation! I think sometimes cell death can cause some discomfort and you think this must be the cancer spreading rather than cell death pain. Like you are aware the cell death is occurring right through your digestive system, hair follicles and lining of the lungs as well as on the cancerous cells, but you still get moments of paranoia.

MJK, my CND solar oil arrived yesterday so I've applied it for 2days now, not all day, just a couple of times lol! The condition of my nail looks better already, I'll keep you posted on progress...  Glad you got to see the Queen. Did you practice your wave in advance?

Treehouse, glad you're feeling better, how many more treatments do you have?

ive been really busy yesterday and today and ready for a restful weekend with my man.  Hey, I've discovered a nice coffee alternative called Yannoh if anyone's interested, it was recommended by Jane Plant in her book "your life in your hands"

Rosie65

Hi treehouse glad to hear you're feeling a bit better today. I'm taking it easy too, have felt pretty good so far but early days

I didn't have an mri only ultrasound - there doesn't seem to be a consistent approach across the country

treehouse

Morning. Feeling a little more human. I had ct and MRI for sizing. Lymph biopsy was clear so bone scan not mentioned. Taking it easy today. Don't really have much choice.
Rosie65

Yes I was told initially by bcn that there was no reason based on my diagnosis to suggest any spread but oncologist said if I promised not to stress over waiting for results then he would do scans

Rosie65

Actually CT scan was to check organs - chemo fog strikes again ha ha

WolfEE

Thanks Rosie, I think I'll start requesting!!
Rosie65

WolfEE - no, I've had both a CT (to check blood)and a bone scan to check for distant metastasis. Thankfully both were completely clear. I don't think they do the bone scan as routine these days. The new scans are very good but I think expensive.

I asked because I knew my sister had several bone scans throughout her treatment and because of her success I'm keen to have everything that she had!!