1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

May 2017 chemo starters

Trisha69

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

Thanks ladies. They have been good here at Royal Devon and Exeter but ready for my own bed. Had a decent nights sleep. Best one in weeks. They only woke mw twice! 9 & 12am but got back to sleep. It's the blooming Seagulls have me awake at 430. The price you pay living near the sea but I wouldn't change it. So this morning bloods to take. PICC dressing to be changed. Suitcase full of drugs to pack and once results back then home sweet home. Been a rock having you all here on this journey. We r superstars! Xx
Mai7

Nice comparison, Long Island tea!  I think mine is a fairly standard Cuba Libra! 

treehouse

Hi Katie. Yes 6 cycles. 3 down and 3 to go. Onc happy we are going for complete reduction of lump.
Hanging on to that thought while feeling πŸ’©.
Then surgery and Herceptin injections for a year.
I like to think of it as the Long Island ice tea of chemo 🍸
Mishy18

Pleased your getting home Trisha x
katie11

That is one strong cocktail treehouse! Are you keeping on that for all your cycles x
MJK

Think Tom Daley diving into a washing machine for the pose and noise. The music helps as does squeeze button (although I didn't need to use it). Plan something quiet for the rest of the day. When I got back to the office after mine there was drumming practice going on in the room below, no kidding 😫. I hope it goes well. X
treehouse

ANNIE if it is breast MRI then you lie on your front with holes for your face and boobs. I had to stick cod liver oil capsules on my nipples with tape. Not sure why but it still makes me laugh. I had contrast iv which they pumped in half way through in my arm. It took 20 min for boobs. If they are scanning more it can take quite a while. You will wear head phones with music but it is so loud I couldn't hear it. It is a strange noise and at one point it sounded like a robot shouting 'die die die' at me but that it my active imagination. You have a little squeeze thing to hold and press if you want to stop or get attention as they all leave the room and talk to you through speakers. You will be asked to remove all metal. It is fine you just have to stay still for ages and my arms were over my head so I got pins and needles by the end.
Katie
My cocktail 🍸 is Herceptin, perjeta, docetaxel and carboplatin. Cheers
Mai7

AnnieA, the mri scanner is basically a long white noisy tube which makes darlek noises. It didn't bother me at all, I just pretended I was on the Dr Who film set with Darleks shouting at me.

Katie, I have chemo no.4 on Thursday which takes me to half way! Hooray! Then chemo no.5 will be a drug change.

AnnieA

I'm on treatment on Wednesday katie 3rd round of EC so half way to the finish line.

Hope your both feeling better now Trisha and AnnieJ, sending you both hugs.

I've got an MRI scan next week can anyone give me a heads up on what to expect?

Xx
katie11

Ha ha treehouse! I remember morph and he's friends! Which cocktail are you on? I start new drug paciltaxol next week and I'm really nervous about it! Like round one again!

Good news Trish. Take it easy when you do get home.

How r u now anniej?

Anyone else on treatment this week? Is it you Mai7? Always remember you are slightly ahead of me and mine is week on Wed . Are you starting new cocktail too?

Xx
Mai7

Trisha, that's fab news, hope you get a good nights sleep. 🌝 That little icon is the man in the moon wishing you a good nights sleep too.

Anniej, Thinking about you and hope you're doing well. 🌹

Treehouse, hope the 3rd dozy tax hell soon wears off and you can enjoy your good days again. β˜€οΈ

My eyes have been a bit sore, not sure if it could be a few eye lashes vanishing and associated irritation to the follicles. However, I didn't help myself much yesterday as I'd chopped up a chilli at lunch, then forgot later and rubbed my chilli-finger in my eye! πŸ‘πŸŒΆ note to self: don't rub your eyes after chopping chillies!

treehouse

Some one pointed out their likeness to Bod ( I loved bod as a kid 😊) personally I am more like morph's friend Chas. X
treehouse

Good news Trish. Hope you feel ok. Same with you Annie. Take it easy girls.
The dozy tax hell has still got me. Mum thinks my red blood cells are low. Round 3 is poop.
MJK

Great news Trisha. Glad you're doing better. X
Rosie65

That's great news Trisha!!  Been wondering all day how you were getting on xxx

WolfEE

Trisha69 - yipeeeee home tomorrow πŸ˜€Xxx
Trisha69

Said I can go home tomorrow x
treehouse

Hi mishy, I know the waiting is hard. I remember feeling like I was nesting before baby getting ready. Cleaning the house, shopping, getting prepared.
Make the most of feeling well. Plan stuff.
I remember the week before treatment we took the kids to Alton towers. Happy day 😁
Mishy18

No! I hope it's going to be soon hopefully next week I have to see him on 17th before second cycle to see how I'm coping and haven't even got first one through yet!!!! I'm naturally an impatient person anyway so I think I should just chill out a bit before it happens xx glad you had a good time with your daughter xx
Mai7

Trisha, Anniej, hope you both had a good night and continue to improve. Trisha, hope they don't keep you in too much longer but it sounds like you are being very well cared for and in the right place for now. 

Treehouse, if the Omeprozole isn't working you could try removing any acidic foods from your diet. I usually use gaviscon tablets or liquid for mild indigestion or bicarbonate of soda but they are usually a quick fix remedy. As you are already on the Omeprozole it may be worth seeking advice from the Onc team.

I had a lovely weekend with my daughter but it was over all too soon.  I felt a bit emotional yesterday afternoon when she left. The empty nest feeling totally sucks!

Mishy, do you have a date yet for your treatment to start?

MJK

Sorry that should have read besides heartburn can be really uncomfortable but between us we have probably come across something that works. X
Mishy18

Thanks Trisha hope you are feeling better soon x as the others have said stay strong you will get there xx just glad things are going in the right direction for you, you really are in the best place to get better xx keep you chin up hun, Annie glad to hear you are getting home x
busybeeS

Sorry to hear that some of you are struggling at the moment.
Trisha and AnnieJ, how horrible that you've both ended up in hospital, but glad it's now getting sorted.
Just remember, every day is a day closer to finishing treatment.
Trisha69

I took Gaviscon tablets
MJK

Besides, heartburn
treehouse

Thanks MJK will give it a go.hope everyone gets some rest. X
MJK

Treehouse, have you got any mint or rosemary in your garden. If so pick a bit of each off, add hot water and leave to infuse. Surprisingly effective (it worked at 4am the other morning). Good to hear you're able to go home AnnieJ. Glad they've put you somewhere quieter and the counts are going in the right direction Trisha. Rest up and I hope you get that shower. X
treehouse

Sorry I know this is trivial in the big picture but I am struggling with heart burn. Can we take tums etc.? Omeprazole in the morning but now feel dreadful.
Trisha69

Good luck Mishy! Excellent news Annej!
My nurse just told me my Neutro up from 0.5 to 1 & platelets from 38 to 51 but still only a third of what they should be 😞 so dont know how long be here. On the plus side have a different room and I am no where near the coughing and snoring patients and have a radio and a phone. Was really chuffed ate as much as I did at lunch but couldnt eat the supper. Throat siezed up again. Just want a shower now but they have to check its safe! Hoping for a good nights sleep. And to repeat what Annie said .... am so blessed to have this wonderful support. Thankyou xx
katie11

Hope you get home soon anniej xx

How long do you need to stay in for Trish? Stay strong x
Mishy18

Annie and Trisha sorry to hear that you are both poorly, your both in best place though xx
It's such a shame Annie this is going on for you x you kept my moral up when low!!! Big hugs to you both x Annie I'm starting my treatment any time soon up at the Freeman just waiting for app seen onc, so I might see you take care both of you xxx
Anniej
Community Champion

Thank you all for the support to us both. Made me pull on those big girl knickers and look forward. Onco just been in to say that she is letting me go home. Yay! Finished all anti biotics. Results back from recent bloods show no infection, and neutrophils have reached the magic number =1. Probable op next week to remove line but wait and see. Sunday roast great, Trisha, and like you I nearly licked the plate clean. Can't remember when I had such a good appetite. Just a waiting game now for pharmacist, cannula removal and discharge papers. So...sevon o'clock then? Love to all. X

Trisha69

Thankyou xx
treehouse

Good to hear from you both.
You are awesome and your bodies are doing their best fighting cancer, being poisoned and coping with constant invasion.
Glad the throat us finally easing off a bit Trish.
Plan some treats for when you get home. You both deserve it. πŸ’ͺ x
Trisha69

Alas didnt go to A and E. Went straight to yeo ward. Now in a side room in mens ward of acute medical unit. X
Trisha69

Chin up girl! Hope you managed the Sunday roast! ? I ate all my greens mash ans gravy. My mate ate the beef and Yorkshire pud. Was most havw eaten in days. Throat still sore but feeling alot better than yesterday. We r strong! Girl power x
Anniej
Community Champion

No, they are talking line sepsis. The thought is that the body is objecting to foreign material being inserted . I feel very much that my body has let me down, but the on call registrar has been so kind and supportive, telling me that they do have problems with the line, and there are 2 others here waiting to have them removed. So I am not alone. But growing cultures from the line to make sure as only half way through the regime.  Onco is being very firm that if it is unsafe it is coming out! An antibacterial block was put in twice to try and kill off the germs. No rest as penicillin into cannula, plus intravenous an hour later. Good news, just had obs and all looking good. Not so good , into chemo slump now, so laying in the lazy - boy chair near hospital window sucking in some fresh air . Onwards and upwards. X

MJK

Well done treehouse. Hopefully it'll be a better day for you. X
treehouse

Fingers crossed for a good one misyangel. I am up and dressed.....first time since Thursday. Round one was terrible. Round 2 was easy. Round 3 is similar to round 1. There is no pattern for me. Grr
misyangel

Trisha & AnnieJ so sorry that you are to go throught his, thanks for sharing and keeping us all updated.  It makes you realise how quick you have to act on these things.

Treehouse how lovely to have that note, its amazing how much they give you a lift.

Day 3 for me today or is is 2 not sure how to count from Firday and this is be the best I have felt out of all treatments, but they did put nearly a litre of saline in this time and I really do think that has made a difference, he used 1 small bag then 2 big bags and my sister said the first chemo I had they only used one bag of saline, crash usually comes on a Monday so will see what tomorrow brings.

MJK

Big hugs Trisha and AnnieJ. Scary how quickly it can happen but great that the hospitals are on the case. Trisha good to hear RD&E are looking after you. My niece is an A&E nurse there so may have been looking after you when you arrived (blonde, mid 20s). Rooting for you both. X
Mai7

Oh dear Trisha and Anniej, what a shock to wake up and find you have both had a very bad night. So sorry to hear this and sending hugs to you both. You are strong, brave ladies and coping really well. Keep up the fight ladies. πŸ’ͺ🏼 ❀️❀️

Trisha69

Not had any injections as yet. Just IV antibiotics fluids and Oramorph which I think is a morphine based pain killer. Got 3 hours sleep. Soneone coughing in the ward. Had sleeping tablets too. But am a light sleeper and thw throat a problem. Big hugs xoxox
Trisha69

Oh Anniej. In the same boat. Hope your getting lots of support! Where in the UK r u? Im in Devon and the hospital ia brill. Mt ward isn't open at the weekend so am on a side room on mens side of the Acute Dependency Unit. Sending hugs xoxox
Trisha69

My throat was getting worse and used temperature gauge and after ibuprofen and paracetamol 2 hours earlier ir was 37.7 & had a banging head. The hospital said come straight in. They immediately put me on IV antibiotics and took bloods. I didn't know til 4 hours later that was Neutropenic. My reading was 0.5. Am in isolation and tired and fed up and still my throat is killing. Rant over. Thank you for listening x
katie11

Was just thinking the same treehouse!

Well done anniej s hubby! Must be more scary for him thinking about it now and what could have happened.

You are sounding very strong and positive anniej even after all you have been through. After all this there won't ever be anything you can't handle! Keep going, big hug xx
treehouse

Too right well done hubby!!!
Have they recommend infection reduction methods for home? Or is this just really bad luck? I often think I should be using proper wipes on my tummy before I do my injections. I use hand sanitizer.
You are sounding so brave Annie. X πŸ’ͺπŸ’œ
Anniej
Community Champion

Thanks for all the kind thoughts. Really helps at this low point. It looks as though the line is the problem . Twice Ive had the chemo, which goes OK, then when I go a week later for the flush, bacteria is pushed into my body resulting in a temperature spike and all the stuff that goes with it. It was particularly frightening this time with the rigor happening so quickly. Apparently there's  only 1 hour from that happening to getting a dose of penicillin before body functions shut down. Thought my poor hubby was going to pass out when the nurse was congratulating him on getting me in so quickly and explaining it! Because it's bacterial I have to be in isolation with barrier nursing, so boring. Looks like the line will have to come out, but waiting on the microbiologists who are busy growing cultures . Sorry if it's TMI, ladies, but don't be shy phoning that emergency number if you feel even a little unwell. It's taken four days to get the temp and other vital signs 'normal' because of chemo and low platelets. Stay strong, ladies, especially my neutropenia buddy. πŸ’‹X

katie11

Gosh ladies big big hugs to you both must a scary experience. Hope you both make speedy recovery xx

Anniej are they changing or stopping your chemo now?

Treehouse that note from your step daughter is lovely made me smile x
treehouse

Annie that sounds awful. How are you feeling now?
I stupidly assume when we don't hear from people for a while that they are coping so well they don't need to chat. Annie we are here for you.
Sending hugs x