1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

May 2017 chemo starters

Mai7

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

Treehouse, I think in your situation I would have done the same - antiseptic cream. I made the mistake of cutting one of my big toe nails slightly too short so had a similar problem. I found wearing very flat shoes helped to avoid throwing weight forward onto the toes. ๐Ÿ‘ฃ

treehouse

I went to bed with one very sore toe. It is pink around the nail and very sensitive. I was worried I may have injured it somehow and got an infection but I can't see any cuts. It is still red now. I will keep tAking my temperature and cover it in antiseptic.
Any ideas?
Mai7

Raitchr, yes chemo is the giving of surprise gifts! Speaking of gifts, I've dug out all of my unused gifts for foot pampering which I never had time for. I think now is the time for them as the Docetaxol can apparently be harsh on the feet. Thanks for the tips on oral thrush, I'll look up the natural remedy you mentioned.

I found this site for natural remedies: http://www.homeremediesforall.com/natural-remedies/natural-remedies-for-oral-thrush.html

AnnieA, in what way are you finding the Docetaxol hard?

AnnieA

I'm on day 3 of taxotere I can definitely say I coped better on EC ๐Ÿ˜ž x
Raitchr

I have to say chemo is the gift that keeps on giving! We will just get the hang of the side effects and cures and we will be done with chemo.

Raitchr

I used my Difflam mouth wash loads of times a day as my tongue was fury and I thought it was oral thrush but cleared up. I am going to ask Onco for meds for this for next cycle. I was on verge of phoning gp or helpline but it suddenly cleared. You can use a rinse of salt water and baking soda I think I read somewhere, Google it. But I just ate salt and vinegar crisps a lot as craved the strong taste and I think this helped clear it. Mine cleared in 2 days but was pretty yucky, food didn't taste nice.

Heather

Mai7

I've just noticed my tongue looks slightly furry so I've rinsed my mouth with some Corsodyl in case it's thrush. Any recommendations for tried and tested oral thrush remedies would be appreciated. Trisha, you had this problem a while back I seem to recall?  I searched online and Docetaxol and thrush score highly together! The joys! ๐Ÿ‘…

Raitchr

WolfEE I am day 10 today, feeling fine, can't sleep all night through but that seems to be the norm for me now!

treehouse

My town is on a steep hill. I walked up and down the high street TWICE! And got me a big bag of Epsom salts๐Ÿ˜. What a difference a week makes. This time last week I couldn't walk into the hospital without stopping .
I really hope that was my lowest moment...๐Ÿ”ฎ.
Feeling good ๐Ÿ˜Š
Mai7

Katie, don't feel bad for having moments of darkness, we all have moments like that. ๐Ÿ•ณ I'm very grateful that I've been able to see my children grow up but there is so much of their lives I still want to share with them. As hard as it is we just have to keep enjoying the moments and stay hopeful for the future. Life is full of unknowns so I guess that is the same for everyone. ๐Ÿ”ฎ I hope you have a lovely weekend with your family celebrations. Keep your chin up. X

MJK, glad you're getting on board with the Epsom salts!

Treehouse, as much as animal experiments for medicine are hard to bear, we haven't developed good enough alternatives yet. I believe we will eventually but not for some time. I'm against animal testing for cosmetics and try and avoid products tested on animals as much as possible but for medicine it's different. 

Im day 3 now and having a restful day today and tomorrow but will probably still go for a walk to keep everything moving.  I've lost the steroid buzz but still feel pretty normal.

MJK

Good for you Treehouse. You're right, we wouldn't be here without animal testing. Unless they have lived charmed lives that have never involved taking any medicine nor would they. It's not a comfortable thought but there we have it.
WolfEE

Raitchr, how many days in2 the 'T' are you now?
WolfEE

MKJ thank you for my dance ๐Ÿ’ƒ xxxx
WolfEE

Katie11, I have a special sleeve for the picc line when in the bath. As you know mine had 2 come out. If you send me your address I'll post it 2 u??
You'll still need 2 avoid dunking the arm and try and keep it out of the bath as much as possible but when I accidentally dropped the shower gel in2 the bath and automatically went for it with pic line arm it didn't get wet at all and my arm went right in.
Our baths are such a comfort and it's the one thing that can make us feel a little better. X
treehouse

Ok ladies was I out of line? Hubby has taken boys to barbers so I braved a stroll round town on my own in my favourite scarf. There was a table with a couple of ladies showing lots of photos of animals. I started to read what they were doing and one came Up to me and said STOP MEDICAL TESTING On ANIMALS. I just looked at her in shock and said 'with out it I would be dead'.
She just replied ' I doubt it'
When I think of the treatment we are on and the years of research it must have taken.
I wasn't rude.
It just hit me and popped out!
MJK

Hugs Katie, I hope your son's birthday goes well. I had a similar marshmallow moment on my son's birthday, just wanting to be there for all his birthdays as he grows up but not knowing if I will. All we can do is cherish the moment and give all we can to getting and staying well. X
treehouse

Sometimes it just creeps up on you Katie. It's ok. ๐Ÿก.
Me too.
Best to let it out little and often rather that bottle it up to explode or cause other problems later.
Make sure you keep talking x
Hugs ๐Ÿค—
MJK

Hi WolfEE, here's a neutrophils dance for you ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ. Have a relaxing weekend. A great anniversary present treehouse. I said to my husband after my MRI, you know me inside out! Good to hear you're doing ok Mai7, I've just stocked up on Epsom salts ready...
katie11

Hi ladies, glad to hear you are all getting there! Side effects haven't been too bad , just leg aches. Still getting use to picc line being there too. Very jealous of all your Epsom salts baths. Think I may try a shallow bath so can soak my legs and feet in it??

It's my son's 5th birthday today so off to watch minions later and it's my wedding anniversary tomorrow so busy weekend, although feeling a bit of a marshmellow again. It just hit me this morning with him turning 5 and the thought of not knowing the future turned me into a blubbering wreck. Trying not to dwell and enjoying the day. It really does hit you when you least expect it!

Enjoy your day ladies , hugs to you all x
Mai7

That's good to know Raitchr, I'm only working 3 days a week now - using up my annual leave for second half of chemo restfulness so I can take it a bit easier.  The loss of your school routine should help a lot.

Raitchr

Mai, I  just slept on and off on day 3 and 4 after my first T then I was ok. I decided that I would give myself the rest I needed until I could see what new side effects I had. Hoping not speaking too soon, but for me my 1st T has been easier on me than anticipated. Maybe the tiredness will accumulate over the next 2 but as it is school hols I have no routine to stick to and uniforms and packed lunches to do, we are just going to go with the flow!

misyangel

Mai7 glad you are finding the docetaxol easier, really hope it carres on that way for you.  I am still watching your comments with bated breath

Wolfee really hope you treatment goes ahead on Monday, I really think once they re check your bloods on Monday everyhting will be perfect

Mai7

WolfEE, I'm finding the Docetaxol easier so far; no brain fog or "just got off a boat trip" feeling, no sickness pills needed, no heavy chest and shortness of breath and no bladder irritation. Although, I could be counting my chickens a bit early as I'm waiting for the post-steroid aches, pains and tiredness to kick in!  I'm still doing all of the things I did before like drinking plenty of water and having cranberry juice for the first few days. It's my first of seven injections today but I still have bruises on my belly from when I was in hospital so I've got limited belly space to stick them in!  I may have to be strategic about this and draw up a belly map and mark a cross each day where I've stuck it! Lol!  ๐Ÿ”Ž ๐Ÿ—บ

Anniej, big hug, I'm sure you'll emerge from your temporary hibernation soon. Once those neutrophils decide to wake up again! 

๐Ÿ‘ป Here's the white spirit for you two bringing  the neutrophils your way!

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Wolfee, hoping everything turns out ok for you. I had my last chemo done when my neuts were 1.3, but as the other results were not as bad it went ahead. I would say it has taken me much longer to recover, though. Know what you mean about not wanting it delayed, that was me, but in hindsight it might have been better. I've seen far too much of my bed this time! Good luck. ๐Ÿ€

WolfEE

Thanks girls that all sounds reassuring I'll try get plenty of rest and keep fingers crossed eveything has corrected itself for Monday. I've been mentally preparing myself for Monday the 1st of the 'T' part so really would hate waiting any longer!!
That's good your shortness of breath is better on it Mai7 sound as though so far so good would you say easier than the FEC (so far) xx
Mai7

WolfEE, hope you are ok but try not to worry, I know its hard as you don't have any control over the neutrophil count, it seems to do its own thing.  I'd say the test is being done too early when there is a whole weekend before treatment but I guess you can't get a blood test on a Sunday!  Xx

Treehouse, Lol, booby gift! Never has a man received such an intimate photo of his wife's breasts on his anniversary! Got to find the humour in all of this! Xx

We've been out for a walk this evening and I must admit the Docetaxol isn't causing me shortness of breath like the FEC did. On the FEC I found the first 4 days felt like I had a heavy weight on my chest but not getting that with the Docetaxol.

treehouse

Hang in there wolfee. All of my low bloods have improved over a weekend for Monday treatment. I have had 3 rubbish bloods on a Friday and no delays yet. Think positive and eat healthy. X x
busybeeS

Hi WolfEE. It does sounds like your neutrophil count. I have my bloods done on a Tue before i go in for Chemo on a Wed. Mine have been low the last 2 times but I have bloods redone on chemo ward on Wed and within 24hrs they've recovered well enough go ahead. You've got the weekend for them to improve so fingers crossed they should be fine.
The chemo nurse said that most people who have bloods done on a Fri need to have them redone on Mon as they are usually low. So i think it's pretty common.
Trisha69

Sounds like your Neutrons. Keep an eye on your temperature!
WolfEE

Treehouse, the MRI scan pic ๐Ÿ˜‚
WolfEE

Just had a call from the hospital something or other was slightly low from my blood test today can't remember what she said it was 1.3 and needs 2 be 1.4. So I have 2 turn up Monday an hour early for another blood test and they will see if what ever it is has recovered enough for the chemo if not it will be delayed. Hope not I don't like the idea of a delay incase something spreads??
Trisha69

Spoiler
Spoiler
๐Ÿ™‚

LOL!

treehouse

Lol just realised my MRI scan is on our anniversary. Well that's his present sorted, a picture of my boobs.

What has my life turned into ๐Ÿ˜‚
Mai7

Just got back from a little whole food shopping trip! Those stores tend to not get too busy so safe risk compared to supermarkets!  

I haven't had any anti-sickness pills at all, except for the one given at chemo (Docetaxol) session, and I've been fine so shouldn't  have to deal with post sickness-pill constipation! Yippee!

Raitchr, I just stocked up on the bum wet wipes! Boots own brand are only about 99p per pack! I'm now day 2 and last day of steroids so expecting a bit of a slow down tomorrow and I'll be watching out from day 4 for the nail and bone pain, thanks for the warning. The instructions on the Epsom salts tub suggested bathing 3 times a week but I could always do extra nail soaks in between. I understand the chewing on cardboard feeling - that's how I feel about granola and other things lacking spice! My work have been amazing too, however, I haven't been into the office to see anyone, only a quick visit last weekend to reconnect with the wired system for windows synchronisation so I don't get locked out whilst working from home!

Treehouse, glad you are being well looked after at home and work but how very dare the hospital pull you out of your snuggly hibernation into the cold MRI equipment! ๐Ÿฃ

Raitchr

My work have been fantastic too. I have been in twice to see them and they ask to come and visit at home or go out for drink and meals. I do put them off as I don't want germs and don't like the thought of picking up germs at a cafe etc. They understand me and my fear of germs! They have sent me a gift card for a meal out when I finish chemo and my tastebuds come back, as at the moment all food tastes like cardboard boxes, except marmite on toast and salt n vinegar crisps. I hate the taste of chocolate right now...

treehouse

Hi Mai and Heather.
Sorry to hear about your finger issues, make sure you mention it at next appointment. I know when my arm was an issue every little thing was a pain, opening doors, turning keys, toilet stuff. Even holding a fork and typing. Does paracetamol help?
My heart scan results were not on the system yesterday but onc was very reassuring and said only 5% of people have problems and that I shouldn't worry, the scans are just a precaution. So that was good. I have an MRI in 3 weeks which is great but that will be day 7 of treatment 5 and that is usually me at my worst re side effects so not looking forward to a long drive and all the shenanigans when I would rather be in bed. I have weeks on the calendar that I have just written off.
Support wise, my family have been beyond AMAZING. My mum and dad are ALWAYS available for school run, cooking, laundry etc. My sister in law has now been to stay 3 times and each time completely takes over and pampers me.
I feel truly blessed and well loved and cared for.
My husband is the most amazing man in the world!!!!!!!!!!
Also I have had regular cards and cake sent from work colleagues letting me know they have not forgotten me.
As support goes I am spoiled rotten. And love and appreciate everyone of them.
Raitchr

Hi Mai7, good to hear bottom is ok and using sudacrem, I had to use it last week, just to soothe a slight burning feeling, worked in a day and have been fine. It is good stuff as it doesn't wash off easily, I remember plastering it on the boys when in nappies!

My bone pain started day 4 of chemo, day 1 being chemo day for me. It wasn't severe, just aware in hips and lower back. My nails started to hurt day 4, like I had a clothes lpeg on each finger, a slight throb. Keep using Epson salts as that has reduced my finger pain. They feel a bit like they are bruised and I have been a bit clumsy, struggled opening packets and doing buttons but better each day. TMI alert! I did struggle bottom wiping with poorly fingers so have used moist toilet wipes for a day or two...

Heather

Mai7

I'm feeling good thank Treehouse, pampering is super nice during chemo. I've drawn my eyebrows back to acceptable norm too! Glad you're feeling chem-normal again and your lump is disappearing. Do you have the results of your heart scan yet? Radiotherapy hasn't been mentioned to me yet but I'm expecting the Oncologist or breast unit to mention it at some point! (I'll be in the breast unit soon as the Oncologist has requested an appt for a scan to check changes since FEC finished). To be honest, radiotherapy has got to be a walk in the park compared to chemo! Please! ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ

How are you feeling about the kids being off school? It must be both lovely at a bit claustrophobic at the moment depending on whether you're having a good day or a bad day. Do you have plenty of help for bad days?

Mai7

Morning ladies! I've had a lovely self-pampering morning. Had my first Epsom salt bath ๐Ÿ›€๐Ÿผ to help with anticipated bone ache ๐Ÿ”ฎ (though none yet) and then used my new facial  skincare products and Aveeno body lotion. I'm going to be outdoors quite a bit so I've put factor 30 on my lower arms, face, neck and chest which are exposed. ๐ŸŒค My bum has just started back slightly into the soreness so I'm straight back on the sudocreme to kill any bacteria as this could be a risk point. Just hope my neutrophils aren't starting to crash again. Staying positive and hoping for the best. No sign of temperature increase so all good.

MJK, I slept like a baby after a full feed! ๐Ÿผ I find just having reading glasses a real pain at times as you don't always have them in the right place at the right time. I keep my optician pair for work and then have about 5 pairs of cheap ones dotted around the house strategically! ๐Ÿ”Ž ๐Ÿ‘“

Best wishes to everyone and hope you are doing well at whatever stage in the cycle!

treehouse

Hope you are ok today Mai. I am back to normal ( chemo normal).
I know what you mean about eyes. I always wear specs but am questioning if they need checking again. I think I will wait for chemo to finish then go get another eye test.
Onc couldn't find lump ( but he never really saw it before treatment either) but that makes me happy. He said I can have another blood transfusion if they drop again but fingers crossed it won't be necessary. He also mentioned radiotherapy for the first time so I may need that for the cheeky gland by my collar bone that they can't get to.
All good. The fog ahead is lifting and I am starting to see what is coming.
Last day at school ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘โ˜€๏ธ
MJK

I hope you got back to sleep Mai7. A big well done and thank you to your mum. I've always worn glasses but may need to check the prescription. X
Mai7

So I fell asleep for three hours this evening! I guess it all caught up with me; the new drug anxiety, lack of sleep last night, steroid buzziness!

Have a lovely holiday in Devon MisyAngel. I'm very interested to see what happens after the steroids wear off! 

Lovely to to hear from you MJK. Do you use reading glasses? My optician told me no one gets past 45 without needing reading glasses! I had them from age 45 so was late to the table as I'd always had near-perfect vision but, annoying as they are, they make reading so much easier.

Treehouse, Glad you enjoyed the session and thanks for sharing the tips, I'll look up the mascara, always nice to buy products which raise money for good causes.

Trisha, look after yourself and do whatever is best for you. 

My Mum, had a bcc team member over today to present them with a ยฃ400 cheque from her bcc charity tea party. I'd bought her a bcc tea party banner and some ribbon pins to giveaway to guests. She was quite overwhelmed with how supportive people can be. My Mum has been channeling her energy in a positive way. It must be very hard for our parents to keep putting on the brave face when they see what we have to endure. 

treehouse

Just found it on amazon ยฃ27 they actually give a % of their profit to breast cancer research. It is not mascara it is conditioner to stimulate growth.
treehouse

Mai no one mentioned avoiding Garlic I have eaten lots. Does taste a bit funny. Will try to avoid from now on.
Big tip revita lash. Stops them falling out or helps them grow back if they have.
treehouse

A lovely session learning a few new tricks. Lots of lovely ladies to chat to. 2 who had been on fec had lost toe nails eek! Several recovering and doing really well. Lots of smiles and a nice goodie bag too.
Such a shame I have come home to wash it all off.
MJK

Hi everyone. I've just been catching up on your week. My eyes have been less sore but I struggle with the small print. I've also noticed my memory is a bit patchy at random times. Otherwise a week of feeling 'normal' which is great. Good to hear the gene test was negative Heather. Sorry you're still having such a rough time treehouse. Hope you're ok after T1 Mai7. Have a great time in Devon Missyangel. Sorry I can't remember more but hugs to you all. I have another week of (hopefully) normal before T1 on the 27th. Ok so this will sound shallow but timing is a bit annoying as it's the day our new M&S opens. Our entire town centre has been rebuilt and this is the first one to open and I'll miss it (grand opening of the whole ghi g is on the last day of chemo). By the way, I gave blood once, when I came round my blood pressure was 70/50 and was told not to come back...
Trisha69

Have fun in Devon Misyangel! Weather bit up and down here in East Devon. Lyme Regis and Axminster seem to have their own micro climate. Im feelin bit rough. Saw nurse as a precaution and have a slight temp and red throat. On Amoxycillin. Th boyfriend done one again. When o when will I learn. Anyways cuppa tea and a biccy. Film then zzzz's. Night all.
misyangel

Mai7 well done on 5 of 8 you are certainly getting closer to the finish line.   Be interested to see how you go on the next couple of days once steroids are finished. 

Treehouse enjoy your look good feel good session i found it amazing and great to chat to other ladies face t face who know what we are going through.

I am starting to feel human again today and off to Sunny devon on Saturday for our family holiday.  Can't wait although may just have to spend most the time by the log cabin as it is my high risk week now.  It overlooks a lake so looking forward to it.

Just finished the book Radical Remission which somone recommended on here, would highly recommend it has lots of feel good information in.

Mai7

I forgot to mention, I read somewhere that you should avoid garlic whilst on Docetaxol. I'm sure traces of it wouldn't hurt but abstain from chomping on whole raw cloves for a while!

Mai7

Treehouse, I have seven days of injections starting Saturday. Ugh! ๐Ÿ’‰๐Ÿ’‰๐Ÿ’‰๐Ÿ’‰๐Ÿ’‰๐Ÿ’‰๐Ÿ’‰glad you're feeling better.

I've had a busy day since treatment. Cooked some portobello mushrooms in the oven stuffed with sliced cherry tomatoes and herbs. Buzzed around the kitchen tidying and cleaning. Made a vegan spread from blending artichokes, cashew nuts, spinach and nutritional yeast. I received a delivery of skincare products from Amazon. One is Oznaturals hylaurinic acid serum and the other is a marine collagen gel. I thought they would be good products to protect the facial skin whilst it is stripped of the top dermal layer exposing layers most people can only dream of pushing those products into! Our skin is currently like a post microdermabrasion and retinol base waiting for deep penetrating goodness! ๐Ÿถ I think I'll sit and read for a bit before I wear myself out. ๐Ÿ˜ด