1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May 2017 chemo starters

MJK

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

I'm definitely resting it out. On loperamide and rehydration solution to settle the ass kicking. Knowing this was coming, my son is at the childminder's. Last chemo for me is due 7th September just as he starts school. I just want to get back to being a mum again... Meanwhile I have my awesome mum staying to see me through. X
Mai7
Community Champion

MJK and Kala, big hugs to you both as you are in the intense side effects phase. Just rest it out, it does get easier but you just can't see an end to it whilst you're in it. My intense side effect days were day 4-8 and I felt like the Docetaxol was totally kicking my ass and just hoped it was having the same effect on the cancer.

im due to have my last chemo 21 September, so side effects should be gone by mid October and then surgery presumably end Oct or early Nov.

treehouse

Rosie I was finding work stressful before this and I am dreading going back. Also not sure what to do about lack of hair at work. My job is not really the sort of place I can hide in an office and I don't want to melt my wig!
Rosie65

My last chemo is 21 Sept!  Heather - I agree as much as I want treatment to finish I'm not looking forward to commuting to work. I've realised that I don't want to go back to the same job as its so stressful so trying to think how I can change my role there. Still, with op and poss rads still to come I won't be back until next year!

Good luck to all those on treatment this week, you're so close to the finish line now

Have not heard about whether I'm having a pic line fitted tomorrow so looks like it may be another week of hand stabbing!

Trisha69

Ive been told try Epsom salts. Bloated too. Just done bloods and nurse at 11 for wee test and antibiotics. Feeling like poo x
Trisha69

Bloody hope so x
treehouse

Those on the docetaxel, herceptin, perjeta mix, the first is the worst my onc said it is a 'loading dose and from now on it is top up'
Don't fight it just rest. I promise it gets better. If I can do this you can too!!!!!
treehouse

Kala I was warned off ibuprofen due to dodgy tummy but you can take with paracetamol. Was advised to do that with my son after surgery when he was little. Take one lot then the other 2 hours later so you are always topped up.
I always bounce back after injections finish. Do you have 7 days of injections?
Camomile tea with honey 🍯 is my fave when I want a hot drink. Morrisons have raspberry lemonade which makes me happy also ice poles are nice for furry mouth and you don't know what you want but need something to fight nausea.
Yes to yucky taste that usually lasts a couple of weeks. I have put on a stone so yes getting bigger.
Best thing I have found is very gentle massage, talk to other half, my experience is everyone that loves you will do anything if they think they can help you get the this !!!!
treehouse

Hope you pass your blood test Mai and get released soon. Can't even revise for these.

My last chemo is due Aug 22nd provided we stick with to plan.
Surgery is booked for third week in Sept.

Blood test done. Nurse at GP is excellent, listened when I gave a vein history and managed first time avoiding nerves. 😊
Feeling less brave as this goes on because I know what's coming and I like feeling normal. Don't want a week in bed with my family all home on holiday.
MJK

Day 4 of dozy tox hell for me. Achy, sprout taste in my mouth, 💩 bowels, red face 👺. What fun! 😣 Definitely a sofa day. I hope you get home today Mai. Glad you enjoyed the festival Trisha, go easy today though. X
Raitchr

Mai, I'm so excited to be near finishing, except it means the prospects of returning to work sometime! Oncologist said not before end of Nov depending on recovering from side effects of tiredness and any remaining nail/finger pain. He did say I may be liable to easily picking up colds and germs as immune system will be low for some time. Hoping to use some holiday time and phased return reduced hours. 

We have a day out planned today seeing as it is sunny so far, taking the boys to Cresswell Crags to see the limestone gorge and ice caves.

Heather

Kala

Morning ladies. Would you mind giving me feedback on how long the doxytaxol joint pain continues for as I was thinking  about pulling my hair out , unfortunately it would be with tweezers, the little I have ggrrr. I had the worst night ever, up every hour with pain like I have never experienced before. Temp spiked at 37.4 but did go back down this a.m. I'm trying so hard to push myself to get through this pain, taking ibuprofen but not sure if I can mix this with paracetamols. I have the backs of my knees under a cushion as laying my legs flat is too painful. Any tips on what I can do to relieve this. I just had a radox bath to help with the inflammation. 

Im hoping it doesn't last the whole three weeks or I will think about asking for something stronger. 

Is it normal to look like the size of a house with this treatment. I'm wearing elastic area leggings as can't fasten anything up lol. On the plus side I'm eating small bits like toast n crisp breads with marmite on. 

Any suggestions on drinking. I only have ginger tea and normal tea. 

Mai I hope you are feeling a little better today after the weekend and I really hope everything starts to get easier on you now . Thank goodness we get free hospital treatment. Treehouse I'm wishing the best for this week as you are having lots of treatment all at once and I think your amazingly super brave , unlike me. 

I was thinking of going for a little walk but will that  effect my joints n make it worse . 

Best wishes to all of you this week. Xxxxxxxxxx

misyangel

Thanks Treehouse,
What dates does everyone finish chemo, mine is due to finish around 9th October
Mai7
Community Champion

Raitchr, T-time again! ️I hope it goes well for you. You must be so pleased to be getting so close to the finish line, especially since you've already gone through the surgery part as well. X

katie11

Big hugs to you all ladies, keep going the finish line is now in sight!!!!! Xx
Mai7
Community Champion

Treehouse, hope your treatment goes well tomorrow. I've just had another blood test taken so I know how you feel about the needles. I'm covered in bruises and starting to feel like a pin cushion! 💉💉💉

Trisha, I hope your bladder infection soon clears up, as they are a very miserable thing. X

Raitchr

Oh dear, poorly ladies hope you feel better soon, sending hugs!

Blood test for me tomorrow then chemo round 5 on Thursday, 2nd no. T for me. 

Heather

treehouse

Hi missy. I have been on 8 steroids for 3 days since the beginning!
I take 4 after breakfast and 4 after lunch. Do not take on an empty stomach and no later than 2 pm.
My husband is already looking forward to me blitzing the house today as I get such a buzz 😜
misyangel

Good luck for tomorrow treehouse, round 5 these are flying by.  Are you on the 8 steriods prior to this next one, if so what time do you take them?

treehouse

Back on the steroids and blood test today. Round 5 tomorrow 🤞.
Getting fed up of needles. I am Poking my arm to find a vein that doesn't hurt or hasn't gone hard.

Hope everyone is ok.
X
treehouse

Not fun Trish. I had same on round one ( no blood but pains) antibiotics did the trick in a couple of days. Drink plenty of water and cranberry juice is supposed to be good.
Hang in there .
Keep fighting Mai . Chemo is tough but we are tougher!!!
Warrior women
❤️
Trisha69

Poo poo poo. Just had Devon Doctors out, he think urine infection. Wee strip changed colour and blood in it. Antibiotics more sickness tabs. Bloods and wee sample to di in morn. Taken sleeping tabs feel terrible and so tired. Moan over zx
Mai7
Community Champion

Katie, I know!! I'm becoming institutionalised - I'll start rocking back and forth soon!  I think it can be hard to get discharged over the weekend as my regular team aren't here so when they're back tomorrow it will be more decisive. If I could have been given oral antibiotics to take at home then it would have been an easy decision to discharge me but they give me bad diarrhoea so I have to have the IV antibiotics. I went for a walk around the perimeter of the hospital with my man and we went in the cafe so that felt a bit more like normal life.

katie11

Oh mai are you ever getting out of there!!!!! X
Mai7
Community Champion

Bless you Maggie, yes, the hard times are certainly in slower motion and festooned with not-so-pleasant-but-somewhat-journalistic memories. I hope your radiotherapy and any further treatment continues to go well. Xx

peach fuzz ladies, I still have quite a bit of hair (about 40%) but my bald patch seems to be sprouting some very delicate new shoots which I will tend to with love and care to make sure they continue to propagate.  It's hard to tell if my hair has changed colour or texture yet as I'm still seeing about 1cm of the old growth. 

Im still in the hospital guys hoping to be discharged tomorrow. Ugh!

Trisha69

Mine the same lol
katie11

Ha ha fuzzy peach head! That's exactly what it is lol.x
Raitchr

Katie, welcome to the fuzzy peach head club, exciting isn't it! Go steady with the eyebrow plucking as mine are gradually falling out...

Heather

maggie aitken

You dont have your troubles to seek, and all of our best thoughts and wishes are with yu and family : on the chemo front, I've just had my fourth and find that it is almost 'nomalising' (but not quite of course, as this is such a unique life situation to be in) - like you round 3 seemed a faster recovery but it turned out that the white cell level meant  delay of a week til round 4, and so I am being (this is day 14, we would expect to be knackered!) extrordinarily (neurotically? probably!) careful about healthy diet,  bacteria, cleanliness, infection etc - all of whih is a complete pain for anyone remotely associated with me, but with any luck, for the last time...

radiotherapy starts on 7th, but the locale is a Beatson (which in Scotland are the delivery organisation for radiation and a lot of cancer treatments) where I have taken advantage of somecoomplementary therapy sessions, and ajacent is a 'Maggie's Centre' where relaxatation, meditation, counselling and companionship are to be had, so that will really help a lot.  I dont know what the therapies are, but, hey, who cares ...

So, short answer is that by round 4, you know what to expect but having come this far, extreme care is needed as effects are cumulative and, as  life doesnt stand still, we want to be in a position to get on with the lives of ourselves and families. For you, with worries about your little one, that means being good to yourself and, right now, including the prioritising your own wellbeing. I know that's not easy with a sick child, but we want a healthy you and daughter!

I feel sure you will look back at this as a diffcult time in your life, but one where, having come shining  through such a rotten time, certainly a very steep learning curve, you got through with renewed commitment and priorities, towards a happy, healthy future for you all. Everything passes, especially the hard times, they just seem to take longer ... all very best of best wishes,   x

katie11

Afternoon all! Hope you are all doing better xx

I was washing my head this morning lol! And I definitely have a slight hair growth of a grey/blondish fuzz!!!!! Woo hoo! !! Also plucked a couple of stray eyebrows . So excited had to share xx
Rosie65

Morning all

kala - managing the side effects does get better as it goes on as you know what to expect, I wasn't prepared at all the first time but once fully stocked up with all the creams, gels, mouthwash etc it's been a lot easier to stop things getting out of control.

Glad you were able to go to the festival Trish, sounds like a good day

Boosted by my blood transfusion I completely overdid it yesterday; went for a long walk, met a friend for lunch and then in to town for  some retail therapy - and then felt dreadful all evening!! Am battling nausea too treehouse - is it the Carboplatin?  As I didn't have any probs the last two weeks.

Hope you are released today Mai, didn't realise high neuts could be problem, mine were sky high the other week, quite glad I didn't know as would have worried more! 

Hope you're ok WolfEE, friend I met yesterday had BC 10 years ago and was saying she had to have injections in her foot and how very painful it was, sounds like you dealt with it well.

Hope everyone has a good day today xx

treehouse

Morning all. Hi kala. I have been on your mix (+one) since May. I get all of your side effects and the first cycle was definitely the worst.
I get a rough mouth and everything tastes yuck for a week but not thrush (yet) 😕 Glad you all have meds for that.
Good luck with bloods today Mai hope you get home today x
Trisha69

Thanks for the tips xx

Raitchr

My onco prescribed the drops to take for oral thrush, she gave me a prescription which I got from hospital pharmacy rather than in my goodie bag. It is a mouthwash that you swish around mouth for as long as possible then swallow. She said the tablets can raise liver function test, which mine was higher on last bloods so went for the drops. She also said to start using it the day before my mouth gets furry so I guess day 3 for me as I didn't write down what day it was. Think I should have kept a side effects diary.

If you had T this time then constipation is better, more the other way around and loose so don't over do constipation meds. Also keep up with drinking water.

Hoping you all have a better day today.

Heather

Trisha69

Yes had Docetaxel. Have Nystatin Difflum gel stuff and a spray x
Mai7
Community Champion

Trisha, glad you enjoyed the festival. Did you have Docetaxol this time? If so be prepared for oral thrush.  I've been on some anti-fungal pills and have been told there is a med you can buy off-the-shelf to drip on the tongue which is effective called Nystatin.

Mai7
Community Champion

Hi Kala, your post made me chuckle! Filgrastim is an injection you have to give yourself in the belly fat to boost the neutrophil count. The neutrophils are a type of white blood cell which help your body fight infection and if they drop too low your immunity is at high risk. Good luck with managing your side effects, you sound busy spinning plates with them all at the moment. It does get better, just keep up the maintenance. Do you have sudocreme for your bum? It's really effective and also kills bacteria which most of the haemeroid creams don't.

Trisha69

Had mine Friday. Took 8 hours they did all 3. Went to a muddy festival yesterday see ny daugbter was brilliant. Sleep not happening. Finished steroids and constipation kicked in. Praying mouth be ok this time. An stocked up with remedies. X Epsom salts to buy tomorrow x
Mai7
Community Champion

Morning Ladies!  Hope you had a good night's sleep.

I got woken at 5am for blood pressure and temperature checks, then antibiotic drip at 6 and now just had blood samples taken and all before breakfast!  I hope I get discharged today. 🏡

Kala

And neutrophil . Think I need to google 😳😳

Kala

What is filgrastrim ??

Kala

Hello ladies.🤗🤗since I was last on here just before my first doxy on Wednesday and herceptin and pertusamab on Thursday it was quite calm. I have just read all the messages since and whoa!! What has happened. Mai your in hospital having to poo behind a curtain whilst visitors are haveing grapes n chocs  with their families( laughing because it's funny) ( not laughing at all at the thought of your having to be there but pleased there looking after you and getting you better to come home xxx bless you.😇 Wolfe, treehouse and all you other fantastic ladies have also been through a tough time this last week. I was coming on here to moan about flu like symptoms , achy bones, no sleep , sore backside, indegestion very sore throat BUT enough said😮😬😬Hope you all manage to have a better day today. I'm going to rest up on the couch and try to get to the loo up the stairs without shouting ow ow ow as I do haha xx 

MJK

It's ok Mai, I need to dance off the steroids to get some sleep.😴 Filgrastim time again 💉😣
Mai7
Community Champion

MJK, I hope you didn't dance too hard! 😂😂

Mai7
Community Champion

Treehouse, maybe the neutrophil dancing is what made you fall asleep at your in-laws!  I think high neutrophils CAN be a sign of the system fighting an infection but my neutrophils have also been boosted by filgrastim so they probably have to err on the side of caution and assume infection.  Ah, well, I'm in a bay with two lovely ladies and the staff are fantastic so not all bad. My man came and brought me some M&S sushi so we had a little romantic meal!  I hope your nausea soon passes. That must be quite annoying for you.

MJK

I think the high neutrophils thing can be a sign of infection. Here's a neutrophils chill dance 🏂💃🕴💃to balance it. I hope you get home soon. Treehouse I'm sure the in laws understand. Mine are used to my need for a snooze. October holiday sounds great raichr! X
treehouse

Hi all. So Mai I know low neutrophils is a problem, I didn't realise they could be too high!
I hope they behave soon maybe we boogied too much for you? 😝

Great news about the holiday Heather I am feeling jealous in a nice way.

Well I fell asleep after lunch at the inlaws. Oops. They are very lovely and saw me the day before my transfusion so know I am lots better but are very understanding. Still taking extra meds for nausea!!! Grr

Hope you feel better soon.
Mai7
Community Champion

Raitchr, that's great news that you have a holiday to look forward to. 

Treehouse, your family time has sounded lovely and I hope your Son enjoys Weymouth. My kids certainly loved it there.

Trisha, the Bestival sounds fun. I should look it up some time, maybe next year's - I'm 48 and have never been to a music festival before!  Hope you are getting on well since your treatment.

Im not getting discharged today. They want to keep me in for more antibiotics and monitoring. My neutrophils are still too high. I'm feeling pretty much back to normal with no chemo side effects. Yesterday my tongue was still a bit sore but that's cleared up now.

Raitchr

I was told by chemo nurse they only use hand in case the chemo leaks and damages your skin and tissue. She didn't say anymore but assume you can manage better with damage to hand than foot. 

On a brighter note, we have booked our flights to Spain for Oct half term, the boys are currently on cloud 9!

Heather

Mai7
Community Champion

WolfEE, I can't believe it! I once joked about having the chemo in my foot and assumed it wasn't possible! I bet it was a bit sensitive. I suppose being in a vein closer to your heart will disperse it faster. Did they have to elevate your legs? Are you able to go home?