1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

May 2017 chemo starters

WolfEE

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

I was told the chemo can have temporary changes with your eye sight (poss perminant) but not to have sight test during or until 3 months after finished so your eyes can settle for a true test result.
treehouse

Thanks for the contact advice. Eye test when Chemo finishes πŸ‘€
treehouse

Hang in there Rosie. I know never feeling well is hard . remember you are fighting every day and it takes longer for your body to recover as we get further along. It is worth it. We are here. If onc doesn't think your body is up to it they will give you a break. But the finish line is getting closer x x
Rosie65

Hi all I think I finish the same time as you Mai - 21 Sept

Had the roughest week so far on the weekly treatment ,stomach cramps and diarrhoea since Thurs and very sore tongue/ throat, finally feeling better today. I've never really experienced a good week as had 4 cycles of EC every two weeks and now 12 weekly treatments. I think it is starting to get me down a bit although I feel guilty saying that as many of you have had much worse side effects/hospital admissions. It's just that I never have a day when I feel completely well.

Have still got surgery to come so will definitely be here for a while so glad you're all thinking of staying. I can't imagine what it would be like to log in and find everyone's gone!

treehouse - I wear contact lenses every day and haven't had a problem. I do sometimes have trouble focusing and worry that my eyesight has deteriorated a bit while on chemo but it might just be my age!

treehouse

Big day Thursday Mai And I have treatment and Jay has surgeon. Anyone else?
I had tears with surgeon ( but didn't at diagnosis!!!!!) after a long talk I came out feeling very happy and empowered. My team are really good at listening and explaining everything. My husband is a very clever bloke but likes everything clarifying twice😜.
Jay68
Community Champion

Hi ladies - I'm staying put too - my last chemo is 24th August - but still have surgery to go.  Have a ultrasound scan this Wednesday and first appointment back with breast surgeon on Thursday since chemo started - things are moving fast!  So much valuable information on here - it really has been a blessing to know others are going through the same thing! x

Mai7
Community Champion

Me too, I'd feel lost if you all disappear! We've all been here for each other through the toughest times when no one else understands what it's like. I'm happy to stay on this thread to the end of all treatment. We can always nip and ask questions on other threads and report back here with findings! I think an annual catch up would be good too. Xx

treehouse

Here here. In it till we are done x
WolfEE

I think we should all make a plan 2 re-visit this thread May next year and each anniversary after that a quick catch up see how everyone is getting on. I'd have been lost without you girls and hate the thought of you all disappearing xxx
katie11

Sounds like a plan Heather! We are all in it until the end! !!! X
Raitchr

I finish chemo 24 Aug but I will still be here for you, to keep you going and seeing you through surgery seeing as I have had mine already. No one is going anywhere until we are all done!

Hx

Trisha69

A lady I met whilst in hospital last week has returned and we have a date to watch Corrie lol. Happy evening peeps from Royal Devon and Exeter x
Trisha69

I'll be here too. My last one 6th September if goes to plan but given my reaction to Docetaxel and Herceptin this time who knows.... 😞 x
Trisha69

Got cream in my eye hence the spelling not booze x
Trisha69

I wear contacts when wear the wig which isn't often. Get some dry eye sprwu8frlm Chemist nut pack your specs as back up. I don't after about 4 hours i e had enough x
treehouse

Hi. Yes just watching hence the coffee ( not sure my pelvic floor is up to trampolines πŸ˜‚TMI)
I was going to ask about eyes. Mine are often twitchy and don't focus as well. Is anyone wearing contact lenses? If I am well enough, I am hoping to go to a wedding next Sat and wanted to be normal ( i.e. Wig and no specs glam) not sure if my eyes are up to it though. .
God only knows when I finish Chemo now. Start of September may be last one. Then surgery. I was going to ask are people going to switch to new ' going through surgery' forum or stay here as a team and be post Chemo rebels?
WolfEE

Mai7, hopefully then it's becaue of lashes and not an infection on its way!!
My last chemo is mid September so side affects until end of October. I was just out on FEC-t 3 + 3. You've had or are having 4+4 (that's tough I'm not sure I could do the extra 2) so you'll be finishing a week or so after me I guess but don't worry I'll be on here chatting and checking up with you until you need me. Plus I think we will be heading in2 surgery at around the same time xx
Mai7
Community Champion

Wolfee, yes, I'm finding my eyes a bit sore at times. Not too bad but aware of it on and off. My eyelashes are a bit thin and when I shower and was my face I feel like closing my eyes isn't quite enough to keep the water out - just feels weird.

Mai7
Community Champion

Steady on Treehouse, don't overdo it: fun AND coffee in one day! Whoa! 😜

Raitchr, glad you are slowly crawling out of the black hole of doom, just think you only have to crawl in there one more time!

Katie, glad you had a normal and enjoyable weekend.

I constantly have the munchies for starchy food as its processing through too fast! Arghhh!

is anyone else still on chemo until the end of Sept with side effects into October. I'm feeling like I might be the last one here posting questions, answers and support to myself! πŸ˜‚ 

WolfEE

Oh and treehouse next week complain away I'm sure I will be (my nunber 5 is Monday)
A complain a day keeps sanity at bay hahaha) xx
WolfEE

I love trampolines. I was doing a keep fit class on trampoline jeez!!!!! It was hard but they r so much fun. I hope treehouse though u was only watching today not jumping??????

Do any of you girls have sore eyes? My right eye is so itchy and sore. I have noticed all of a sudden I have no bottom lashes could the soreness be them falling out? My concern is at the weekend I was cuddling my friends 12 year old yorkie he is adorable (no teeth) but found out he has congunctivits. (No idea how you spell that hope you can work that one out its the gunky eye infection)!!!!!!!!
treehouse

Hi all. Taken the kids to a trampoline park today. It's our anniversary and I have had my first coffee for 4 months to celebrate. That's quite enough excitement πŸ˜›. Board games tonight. Secretly enjoyed my extra delay days.
So nice to feel normal and won't complain when I feel poop πŸ’© next week ( honestly). Hope everyone is through the worst and starting to feel human. X
curlyh

Hi Ladies...I am day 8 from 1st doxetaxol, after being delayed for 5 days as liver enzyme level was raised, I am just starting to feel a bit better, like many of you the pain is definitely the worst this time, I haven't sickness, but no taste, furrry mouth, indigestion..ended up in hospital on Friday with raised temperature and I couldn't get on top of the pain in my back, I was lucky no infection home with stronger painkillers...I have felt more down this time and needing help getting in and out of bath is just so depressing...had district nurse to flush Picc line today she was nice and I think she will do bloods also as local surgery won't touch Picc line more training required...I do get a stinging feeling from it now and again but so far ok...Trisha hope you feel better soon you are having a hard time..Treehouse enjoy your bonus days with your family when you feel good...good luck to anyone on treatment this week may your side effects be manageable..x

Raitchr

Re hair, my face is a little fluffy this morning, I notice a few top lip hairs are back and I have stray hairs on my chin! Legs need a shave and maybe even armpits. Just hope it doesn't get out of control and I look like a gorilla....

Trisha69

Morning ladies. Am day 11 after 1st Docetaxel. Had a reasonable night in hospital. The usual admissions a d bleeping machines. Awake since 4. Have showered and put make up on for first time in days but still running to the loo 😞 waiting for meds coz feel like a stroll. Know where all the toilets are an route! Still very tired and don't know if going home is the best option but feel like taking a bed up x
Raitchr

WolfEE, today I am day 5, with chemo day being day 1 for me. Day 2 I was ok as on steroids so buzzing. Day 3 and 4, off steroids are my worst on T but with FEC it was a few days later. Day 3 and 4 I have felt jet lagged, flu like symptoms, sore mouth but no ulcers, no constipation. I feel a bit down as I am missing so much of the boys holiday but I know that I have to do this to get through chemo and on with our lives. I am lucky that husband works from home so he can take care of boys, not that they need much care they are 9 and 14 and I can take a step back from being in control. Having said that, I have just got up for a cuppa and both front door and back door were unlocked last night...usually my job to check it before bed but I headed to bed after tea!

katie11

Morning all ladies, just catching up on you all after the weekend. Glad to hear you are all doing better.

Just had a lovely weekend in Portsmouth with boys but feeling tired now. Think these weeklys are catching up with my now so think next 4 weeks are gonna be tough.

For anyone with a picc do you sometimes have days where it aches? Confused as aching all over from chemo so don't know if it's that not helping or there is something wrong with it x

Visiting my friend today who has just had her single mx with flap reconstruction 2 weeks ago so if you need any questions answering ladies let me know lol x
WolfEE

That's great heather it's such a good feeling when you get past the grotty days and know the worst is behind you. πŸ‘
Out of interest what day are you on? On FEC I had a bad week of SE's followed by about 3 days of deep depression and low mood but always knew that by day 10 I would be back feeling more myself. My last chemo was the first of my T and was rotten but because I had the infection I wasn't sure what was chemo and what was infection or what day was the start of my good days!!!!!
Raitchr

Morning all! So having spent 2 days in bed I slepted all night, right through to 6.30am not even waking for a wee. Felling better, less breathless just a few aches and pains. Not much energy and tongue a bit sensitive but on the whole I have made it thorough to the other side.

Hope you are all ok, best wishes for those with treatment this week.

Heather

Mai7
Community Champion

Treehouse, I've just finished eating some breadsticks dipped in houmous (seriously, not joking!). Glad I finished them before reading about your toe though! πŸ˜‚ Do you think it may be worth checking if you should have antibiotics for it? Feet can be dodgy for healing as they're stuffed in socks and shoes all the time and rarely get a rest from use.  My next treatment is on Thursday btw. ☠

treehouse

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better Trish. Sounds like they are getting things under control. Rest up and don't rush home ❀️
Trisha69

Hi Tree house. Sounds painful! Had finished eating lol. Am ok. Still in hospital. On anti diaorresh tabs and antibiotics. Feel fine just very tired. Have a good eve xx
treehouse

Thanks wolfee. It's hard to not imagine the worst. Just keep trying to hope for the best.

Update on my toe ( I remember someone was discussing gout) definitely an infection!
The redness has gone and this morning a puss filler blister burst ( sorry if you are eating) my temp is normal and it no longer hurts so I am assuming my immune systems is up to the challenge. Still smothering it in sudocrem. And will keep checking.
How you doing today Trish and Kala?
Glad you are over the worst of first T Mai.
Who has treatment next? Fingers crossed I am back in the game on Thursday .
Jay68
Community Champion

Hi Raitchr - I am exactly the same this time - tired and just wanting to snooze!  My Husband has taken our Son out for the afternoon and I'm resting on the sofa now rather than bed and enjoying the peace and quiet - I guess it's just a case of letting our bodies deal with all the chemicals!  I started using the cherry flavour Nystin - just once a day - as soon as I started the steriods this time and so far - good news - no nasty mouth - so maybe the onc was right in that it's the steriods and not so much the chemo!  J x

Raitchr

Feeling better, went back to bed and got a good hour sleep. Husband has taken boys out for a long walk and lunch so house is quiet and I can relax. May manage another snooze before they get home...

WolfEE

Not the tumour treehouse I don't know but I'm sure a week is not going 2 allow it 2 grow. My treatment was delayed at the start I was diagnosed at the beginning of march and didn't start chemo until the end of May because originally I was having surgery first but then they changed the plan and decided that chemo would be first so I had weeks of waiting again and I was complaining that now it's been to long and it could be growing and spreading that it would have been over a month since CT scan what if my 'clear' organs become infected during the wait on starting treatment but they assured me that it doesn't move that fast (I wasn't convinced and it still worries me even today that it could have??) but realisticly I know it's not likely and it's my paranoia. So I think seeing as it has been partly destroyed with the chemo you have had already and it only being a week the chances of it growing are so small and it will be getting blasted with the poison again.
Easier said than done but try and not let it keep playing on your mind. Personally having a week delay could be better than having on time but a lower dose???
Stay positive xxxxxxx
treehouse

Morning all. Reading all your posts this morning I can agree with everything you have all said.
Heather I am the same with sleep 😴 I am up at 3 for a wee and πŸ₯ƒ drink. I have been aiming for 2L a day all through as I had a water Infection in cycle 1 and I want to avoid that again. I was reading up about ovary removal yesterday and sleep problems is a menopause side effect so looks like I will just have to get used to that one.

I also had days when I got ready to go out then got to the door and just cried on my husband saying I can't do it. Just the effort of getting ready had worn me out.
Be kind to yourself and rest if needed.

Thought you might like to know that day 6 of delay and I had to shave my arm pits this morning. Have not done for 12 weeks. So things don't take long to regenerate ( hope that doesn't include the tumour πŸ˜•)

Have a good day x x
Mai7
Community Champion

Morning ladies and hope you had a good nights sleep. We had a lovely day out yesterday at Renishaw Hall - just went around the lovely gardens and lakes. It was so nice to be out doing normal things. I've been doing well the last few days although my tongue is still weird, I'm craving starchy food and junk food and my bowel is still moving faster than usual, like 4 times a day. I expect the cravings are my body craving calories to compensate for processing speed! 

Raitchr, sorry to hear you're finding the tiredness more difficult and I agree the Docetaxol is harder than the FEC.  You will feel better soon so just give into it and rest for now. πŸ›Œ 

Trisha, hope they soon sort you out in hospital and don't release you again too soon. It must be quite upsetting for you going home and then back again the same night.

Treehouse, glad your son enjoyed his trip and good luck with scouring the tide mark off the bath!

MJK, I bought some false eyelashes at the beginning of treatment but haven't tried using them. I'm afraid I'll get glue in my eyes! I use a liquid liner which is really effective. It's more like a felt tip pen. It's Boots No. 7 Stay Precise. If you use brown rather than black it isn't so harsh and gives a softer line (if you don't get it perfect then it doesn't show as much as with black)

Kala, I wake up in the night thirsty and always keep a pint glass of water beside me.  I had to get up at 3am for a drink and to poop. Its not the dream!  Why don't my bowels stay asleep when I do?? I sometimes feel like I can my heart pulsing hard and feel slightly short of breath. When I go walking I have to slow down on the hills as I get out of breath. I assume this is temporary side effects.

misyangel

Oh Heather sorry to hear you are not having a good time, I agree I think the tiredness does get worse as I was a lot more tired on 4th fec so in a way I am glad I have a bonus week to recover a bit more then start the dreaded tax provding my other lump is not cancerous the week after.  I have been using epson salts in every bath now.

Wolfee I am just eating loads of crap although have been better this last time, I was speaking to lady who had bc 5 years ago and she said don't worry about eating healthy just eat what your body craves, mine is cheese and onion pasties lol. 

Kala I went through a stag of craving milk and honey whilst i was on the 5 day injections I made my huband do me hot milk and honey as a comfort drink lol.  But I agree rest as I think sometimes if you do to much it can set you back and wear you out.

Raitchr

Forgot to say I am awake ⏰ 3am without fail, it changes to 5am once steroids have worn off. I usually just need to get up and go for a wee then lie awake for 1 hr and then drift off.

H

Raitchr

Hi all. Just about survived the last 24 hrs sleeping. This T has knocked me off my feet, think the tiredness is increasing with each cycle. Thank goodness only 1 to go. 

Kala, I feel a little breathless, depends how I lie in bed or get propped up. I am blaming the yew tree 🌳 part of the T and my hay fever, have taken extra anti histamine yesterday. Mouth is a bit yuk but using Difflam and started on the cherry flavour (yummy I can taste it) oral thrush wash.

I have a few aches and pains in lower back and hips but have spent 24 hrs in bed, I am ok when I am up for a wee or go downstairs for meals. Re pain I was told paracetamol should be all I need but I have a store of liquid morphine and tramadol from my op to fall back on. Maybe you can use a laxative along side the codeine to help bowels. Warm baths and a hot water bottle may help.

So far fingers are better, not hurting like last time yet but have used Epsom salts pre this chemo so maybe that helps. Famous last words, will report back later in week!

The thing that is keeping me going is that tomorrow I should feel a lot better and then I have just one more T poisoning to go. 

Hope everyone is feeling better, you all sound as if you have been through it recently.

Take care, Heather

Kala

Morning all. Hope everyone is well and my thoughts are with you Trisha xxx hope today you are feeling a bit better and managing to eat and drink a little more. 

Im still feeling drained and it kinda feels like my heart is heavy, can't explain the feeling but it's like I'm possible a little breathless, has anyone else felt this ? Like my heart has slowed down. Possibly the herceptin messing about. 

Im still not feeling like I can go out at all and I'm hoping this will pass as my mind says I can but my body says rest and take it easy as I don't want a return trip to hospital . 

Is anyone waking up at silly hours wanting drinks etc as I can't seem to get past three without being wide awake wanting milk n honey haha. 

I have codeine for pain but this causes constipation, any suggestions what else I could ask for xxx

Other than that I'm alive and pushing forward. Best wishes to everyone for a calming positive happy week ahead xxxxxxxx

treehouse

I love them dearly but boys are gross! 😜
I told him he was still smelly after his bath turned out he had not used soap tried to wash his whole body in my shampoo. To be fair I have no use for it πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
WolfEE

Treehouse, I'm laughing at the thought of your littlen coming back stinky feet, my nephew is stinking our living room out (worse than me on chemo πŸ’¨) he is trying 2 blame it on me!!!!
treehouse

Sounds fab Wolfee. πŸ™‚
Hang in there Trish. Glad you are being well looked after.
X x
WolfEE

Wish I could say I craved veg at any point!!!! I've been soooooo bad since start of chemo all I want is high carb things started with cheese on toast, now it's instant noodles. Plus sweets and ice cream!!! I'm gaining so much weight !!
WolfEE

Gald you got a nice radox bath Trish.
Tonight my sister is out so my nephew is staying over. Movie, snacks and treats with duvets and camp beds in the living room πŸ˜€πŸΏ
Trisha69

What with the veg on T?
I craved green veg on FEC and in hospital it's mainly carrots and swede x
MJK

Sorry you're back in hospital Trisha but it sounds like you're in the right place. Especially with a radon bath, heat pad and film. T definitely kicks ass πŸ’©πŸ˜£ and the healthy vegetables I ate on FEC are not an option. I'm also now on the night sweats 😳. Yesterday I tried using false eyelashes for the first time (not normally needed) but I wear glasses because I can't focus close up. Hmm, eye liner it is then... πŸ€“
Trisha69

Thanks Woolfee and the gang for all the supportive messages x