69229members
363459posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

May 2017 chemo starters

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

Well done KatieπŸ””πŸ””πŸ””. It's a strange feeling isn't it? I think weve all been in survival mode and it's only once it's over that you start to deal with the emotional impact.

Friends have been amazing through all of this. The use of deodorant helps keep them friendly... Of course you lovely people don't know if I smell! πŸ˜€

Ouch with the teeth Treehouse. πŸ˜•
Community Champion

Thanks Mai for publicising sepsis - sadly my Mum passed away (age just 62) due to sepsis 5 years ago. 

Thankfully, since that time there has been much more awareness of the condition bought to our attention.  As you can no doubt imagine, when I was told about chemo and the likely conditions which can affect - sepsis being one - I became paranoid.  Thankfully, I was ok throughout chemo and never had to have a hospital stay, to say I am grateful if an understatement.

Yes to toothbrush and paste. I also keep getting migraines this is my third this week πŸ™

Oh treehouse, is there no end to the things this stuff can throw at us? Haven't heard of this as a possible late SE, but frankly it wouldn't surprise me. Have you been using "sensitive" toothpaste and toothbrushes?

Well done Katie x x x x x x x x whoop whoop.

Now you may remember a couple of weeks ago I had tooth ache πŸ˜–. I now just have really sensitive teeth anything hard or hot is quite painful. I am seeing the dentist next month. Has anyone else noticed this since Chemo has finished?

Hip hip hooray for Katie! I'm not surprised you're feeling emotional, but hopefully in a good way this time.  Ding-a-ling ling!

Community Champion
Community Champion

Ding ding ding πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ•Ίmany congratulations Katie πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨shi xx

Well ladies I've crossed the final finishing line. Actually feeling quite emotional! So pleased to have met all you wonderful ladies and really don't think I'd have been able to make it without you all xxx

I guess we need them both -- friends and deodorant! Glad to hear you sounding so cheerful, Shi. I'm guessing you're still enjoying being out of hospital!

Community Champion
Community Champion

I’m making a right cock op here, I second the friends post and thanks for info on deodorant post 😘😘😘😘shi xx
Community Champion
Community Champion

The friends post not the deodorant postπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚xx
Community Champion
Community Champion

I’ll second that tatyana, you are all so amazing πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx

Deodorant: after my axillary clearance 15 yrs ago, I avoided using any deo for some weeks until everything had settled down, it didn't seem necessary anyway, I don't know if something happens to the sweat glands? When I did start using it again, I opted for a solid stick-type deo (Dove or similar) rather than a spray or roll-on liquid, because it's alcohol-free and kinder to your skin. I found that the hair growth under the arms remained much less on that side, so you don't have to shave so often! Long term, it's all about preventing cuts and avoiding harsh chemicals or anything that might inflame the skin (lymphoedema risk).

Another positive thing to come out of chemo: the warm glow from lots of lovely friends, including all you lot, as well as old and not-so-old friends from the real world!

Community Champion

Morning ladies, hope everyone is doing well. I'm working again and about to take a lunch break.  For anyone curious about sepsis I found this useful article:  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sepsis/symptoms-causes/dxc-20169787

Jay not having to shave legs or armpit through the entire summer was a bonus. ( shame we couldn’t enjoy the sun tho)

Go ring that bell Katie πŸ”ͺπŸ’‰πŸ”₯βœ”

WolfEE, I considered myself cancer free post surgery (which I had first). Everything else was mopping up strays to stop it returning.

Jay, I don't use deodorant on the lymph clearance side but don't sweat. As I had rads there too the armpit hair probably won't grow back either. 😊

Curlyh all the best with radiotherapy. The finish line is on sight. Keep drinking, moisturising and, as soon as you start going pink it's worth losing the bra otherwise it gets too sore. I'm wearing baggy tops to hide being lopsided.

Have a good day everyone.
Community Champion

Hi Mishy - thanks for the tips on deo - I'll carry on leaving it off for now.

I can't say I got a puffy face on chemo but my complexion was very pale and I had dark areas under eyes. The pale complexion, for me could have been due to wearing factor 50 suncream and sitting in the shade at all times of course! The skin on my face went very soft with far less wrinkles! - It's remained that way too so a benefit of chemo

So 3 positive benefits of chemo so far: 1. lack of monthly periods (speeded up menopause). 2. softer, less wrinkled complexion. 3. for me - it killed the cancer (most important)! Can anyone think of any more positives????

Daffodl congratulations on the house move, what a big achievement whilst going through this but something big and postivie to focus on.

Treehouse I am doing great still feel high from finishing chemo,hoping it makes the last lot of SE effect easier to cope with which mine usually kick in tomorrow.  I am booked in for pre op appointment on 1st November and will find out then weather lumpectomoy or mastectomy, hoping its going to be lumpecomy, I am then booked in for surgery on 14th November so I am catching all you ladies up now chemo done. Woman Very Happy

Rosie great news about lymph node clearance.

I avoided armpit where I had surgery I thinks it's more to prevent infection than anything I was advised to not wear it for a little while, but once scar healed I used biosen it's a paraben and aluminium free one, I heard you shouldn't during rads x
Quick question may ladies did any of you get a puffy face whilst on chemo, I've noticed face is really round it's also really pale I've got dark circles under my eyes too, was curious to know if this happens to everyone in the later stages of treatment
Hope everyone is well today well done to those of you who have reached the end of your treatments 😊🌟
Community Champion

How you doing Misyangel following your final chemo? hopefully the final lots of se are do-able and being kind to you x
Community Champion
Community Champion

Well done Katie 😘wolfee even though I only had snb, I was advised for that not to use any cream or deodorant to underarm area, not sure if it’s the same for node clearance your bcn should be able to advise 😘I buzzed my hair off to no4 this morning and with being at casa nhs for 6 days till yesterday, I was happy about it because I got to do it at home in privacy, is that weird to actually feel happy buzz cutting your own hair off? I said to Mum, that i’ll Be very happy to see it this length again when I’m through the chemo like you amazing ladies are😘😘😘😘daffodil enjoy your new home 😘love and sparkles πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Community Champion

See doesn't time fly Treehouse - if anything like me, you'll be replaying in your mind all that happened "this time last week"!!

I'm not using deo either - and in fact funnily enough I have no odour! I do wash in bath and shower but don't use soaps/gels directly under the arm.

You're lucky the drain holes have gone so early - mine took ages and this week the final scab fell off!

Keep up with those exercises now...! x
Community Champion

Just been on the phone with the bcn - discussing cording.  I'm 4 weeks post-op - and apparently it's a very common symptom.  It is not causing me any problem with movement or discomfort.  When I do my climbing the walls exercise (i do get further up there each day) but it pains me to hold the position for too long - when I look in the mirror with my arm outstretched above my head I can identify a cord which runs from my armpit for about 3 inches towards my elbow.  She thinks it could well be cording.  However, they don't do anything until you're 6 weeks post surgery.  

She is sending me an appointment to see surgeon for that time - if it goes I can cancel the appointment but if it's still there she says my surgeon quite often manipulates them and they disappear - failing that I will be referred to physio for further stretching exercises.  

So ladies, although I have religiously done my exercises it shows it really is important to do them regularly as this can easily happen and no exercising could make it a lot worse.

and ..... stretch, stretch and stretch............!!! x

Hi misyangel how are you doing?
I forgot what stage you are at?

Jay surgery is a week ago today!!!!
Everything looks ok and feeling is returning in most areas. No deodorant yet. I will ask when I see surgeon next week.

Still need regular pain killers. And get a bit marshmallow when I am late taking them.
Drain holes have gone completely!!!
Blisters from drain pipes however are still there !?
Community Champion

Rosie - my chemo brain or is post-surgery brain is ridiculous - I've just come off the phone with the bcn and still I forgot to ask about deodorant!!! I remember the first shower and bath when you can get properly wet - such an invigorating feeling!

Enjoy going into work - positive news needs to be shared - so go in with a big smile! Good luck for the train journey - hopefully no delays! Have a great day x

Katie best of luck ringing that final bell, it must feel amazng to have this over with xxxxx

Good luck today Katie , last one after 8 months of treatment, how exciting to be finally there.

curlyh - glad you had a nice break, I'm sure those 14 will go really quickly

Jay - I know I'm a bit behind you but I haven't used deodorant yet. I meant to ask yesterday if I could. She said I could get it wet now so had a lovely proper shower last night. Bliss

Off to work today, not to do any work but just to see everyone.

Just the train journey these days seems like a big undertaking!!

Community Champion

Morning curlyh - how lovely being taken away for a few days - what a lovely way to recharge those batteries.

Good luck for your continuing rads - they'll be over before you know it. Drink plenty of water is the golden tip I believe.

Have a great day x
Community Champion

Post "lymph node" surgery ladies a question:-

Do you use any deodorant on your affected armpit?
Community Champion

Wolfee - having had chemo and surgery myself - and all cancer tissue was removed by surgery (ie mx and full node clearance) - then followed up by pathology report which indicated no traces of cancer were in anything they examined as chemo had killed it all off - the surgeon classed me as free of cancer - I now consider myself as I "had" cancer and the radiotherapy (if I'm having it) and the herceptin injections until next June are the belt and braces of preventing it's return...!

Same as you though I won't feel it until all treatment has ceased and I'm back to "normal".... x
Community Champion

Well done Treehouse on your 2 new Brad Pitts (although that rhymes much better with "tits" and I shouldn't imagine you brought 2 of those from M&S!!!!).

Well done too on no tears - strength and determination win the day! x

Community Champion

Well done Daffodil on your move - and best wishes and lots of happiness to you in your new home xx

Don't worry about seroma - when I went for my post-op check, surgeon thought I had a small one developing but left with bcn to sort. She didn't think it needed draining and just to keep an eye on it - within a week it had completely gone - so don't panic! Is your follow up tomorrow?
Community Champion

Good luck today Katie - hope your final rad session goes well - it won't be long before you're over the finish line and active treatment done and dusted - fantastic! x

Morning Ladies

Have been catching up with all posts, as my lovely family took me away for a few days before rads started...didn’t go far but it was so nice to feel a bit more normal...

Started rads yesterday so another 14 to go...MJK and Katie you have done so well...

Op ladies you are coping well take it easy look after yourselves.

Treehouse the rolllercoaster is so true...

Have a good day all x

Morning all
Katie go ring that bell loud and proud.
So amazing see people finish and be clear.
Can’t get my head around 8 months of treatment but we do it.!!
Heather my guess is you are already on you way or sitting in an airport.
How can I be so genuinely thrilled for people I have never even met?

Wishing you all good days.
Anyone got appointments or treatment today?
Love hugs and sparkle βœ¨πŸŽ‰πŸ˜˜

Katie11. This is it the day has come last day of treatment!! Well done brave girl xxxxxxxxx πŸ’ͺ

Morning ladies, so much to catch up on last night.

Happy holidays heather x

So much positive news, especially rosie lymph nodes. Must be huge relief.

I'd class you as cancer free wolfee. I always felt the same as I had surgery first but I was still telling some people about it so didn't know what to say!

Glad you were successful with your brad pitts treehouse. I felt quite emotional after surgery too think so of it is post surgery blues.

Well done on house move daffodil quite an achievement going through all this to.

How are you Trish?

Well today is THE day I have been waiting for 8 months never thought I'd get here. Eeekkk feeling quite nervous.

I'd gone out for tea with closest pals last night for a birthday . My best friend who I have known since I was 6 months old announced she is pregnant again! So happy for her and more to look forward too x

Love and sparkle dust for fab day today ladies xxxx
Community Champion
Community Champion

Woolfee, sorry forgot to ask how did your hands hold up today? Hope ❀️❀️❀️It went ok and you managed to make all the noted you needed. πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨shi xx

Good to hear from you daffodil 🌼 glad you are all moved in and enjoying the new home. Which room do you plan to decorate first???
I had already picked out dining room curtains before we had moved in πŸ˜€.
Hope the seroma is not painful. They mostly sort themselves out from what I have read so try not to worry but definitely get checked.
X x x
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi daffodil πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘on the move, sorry to hear you think you’ve a seroma, hope it settles down for you, after my op when they took my drain out this bulge appeared near there too, I just thought at the time it was lymph fluid gathering and did those excercises. Hope that’s all it will be for you too. They will be able to sort it for you next week no problem i am sure if it does turn out to be a seroma my bcn wasn’t phased when I asked her about it if one developed. Hope that helps πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx

Congrats on the house move 😊 marksies are having a bra event on Friday with so much going to Breast cancer charity and money off rads

Hello ladies Hope you are all having a good night. Made the big move yesterday and now in our new house. All was going well with my recovery after the drain removal on Sunday, but now I seem to have developed a seroma and my right chest wall has swollen somewhat. I left message for my bcn and also have my follow up on Friday so hopefully they can sort it then. I hope to get path results then too. Have a good night.

Community Champion
Community Champion

Well done treehouse 😘😘😘so pleased your bras pitt shopping was a successful event today πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨shi xx

Well done Treehouse no tears in M&S πŸŽ’πŸ‘

I’m going to check out brad Pitts at the weekend I’m looking for a night time Brad.
At the moment Ive given up and don’t bother with a bra at night because I get uncomfortable and hot so after something a bit more comfy. It probabaky won’t be as surportive as it should be but must be better than getting so fed up and taking it off completely.??

Oh speaking of which I bought 2 new Brad Pitt’s today. Totally conquered m&s without tears !!!!
Community Champion
Community Champion

Cricky mishy 😱😱😱😱 apart from the bit of chill I had overnight a night before my pee burned (which knowing now was something and not I’d not had the heating on) and my temp was 37.2, pre neutropenic sepsis id done ok then. Woolfee aren’t you classed as adjuvant therapy now then? Belt and braces to make sure it doesnt come back? Not sure? Sorry about as much use as brad pitt aren’t iπŸŒπŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx

My onc always made it clear that he wasnt intending to kill me off so it was necessary to tweek my dose so I could cope better with SE my first fec was horrendous on the first night my gums poured of blood and by day 4 was in hospital with severe fatigue and dehydration he reeked dose because of that then by round 3 he took the f out! They would not put you at any unnecessary risk after I was sepis on Doxetaxal and a bad reaction my onc changed my drug to the one I'm on now so I could continue my treatment safely without risking the cancer coming back due to lack of treatment, unfortunately some of us do respond badly to first one let's face it out bodies are all different and the tend to hit you with a high dose on the 1st one to see how you cope
Don't be frightened Shi I was and I can honestly say that I have had every faith in my onc hecwiuld keep me safe and I'm nearly at the end of my chemo last round in 2 weeks today sending extra sparkles enjoy your good week in preparation for no 2 🌠🌠🌠🌠🌠🌟🌟🌟🌟πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ