cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

May 2017 chemo starters

Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

haha a koala bear! Honestly though Mai - I've never lived it down - whenever we have a family meet up, I'm sadly reminded about it!!!

It always causes a good laugh though so at least I cheer everyone up!!!
Highlighted
Community Champion

Brilliant news daffodil. The best you could hope for.  Have a lovely relaxing weekend with a clear mind. πŸŽ—πŸ’—

Trisha, lovely to hear from you again and sorry your goalpost is being moved. I really don't know which is worse, knowing from diagnosis you have to have the most radical treatment or having the treatment changing and increasing over time. I think it must cause more anxiety when this happens. Can you have a nipple conserving mastectomy and recon otherwise you may be left feeling like they just keep wanting to take a bit more tissue?

Treehouse, I have my fingers and toes crossed tight for your for your results. It must be a very anxious time, just like waiting for scan results all over again.

Jay, I can't believe you thought you saw a sloth up a tree in the UK, it was probably more likely a koala bear! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ¨

Highlighted
Community Champion

Good evening Daffodil - absolutely fantastic news - just the news we all want to hear and I'm delighted you too received it. Did they mention which rads are required?

Have a great weekend too xx
Highlighted

Daffodil, wonderful news, now you can have a lovely weekend! So pleased for you.
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Fantastic news daffodil πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨what a beautiful day for you. Love shi xx
Highlighted

That’s fantastic news daffodil that’s what we all want to hear x x
Highlighted

Hello ladies. I had my follow up today. Great news. All clear of cancer!  Radiotherapy next. Then should be done by Christmas!!

Hope everyone is feeling as well and positive as can be expected.

Have a good weekend. Xxx

Highlighted

Thank you lovely ladies. I think holiday surprises are the only surprises allowed any more. X x x x
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Fundings not there, sorry predictive text. Shi xx
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ•Ίnode dance for treehouse πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ•Ίβœ¨βœ¨βœ¨for treehouse and Trisha results. Your head is like wwwwwaaaahhhhh while you are waiting result you have already been on a very long journey with the chemo 1st, then the ops, so you have so many questions that still need answering, I like to believe they wouldn’t put us through all this if it wasn’t to give us all the best results they can possibly give us, they are experts in their fields and I bet they get frustrated when there are other drug out there but they can’t give them us because the findings not there, I honestly believe they do their very best for us. πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•shi xx
Highlighted

Treehouse I'll be thinking about you for Tuesdays results, at least us pre chemo surgery ladies could get Al that out of the way before we jumped on board the chemo express, again I think surgery options rads etc all comes down to type and grade of cancer I was desperate to have full node clearance when my path results came back much to the horror of my surgeon! Who insisted aswell as breast axillary node rads were in my treatment pathway she totally refused to remove more rads!!!
I will keep everything crossed for you I'm sure you will be fine and Trisha keep your chin up you have been so strong through all this like I said speak to your onc too and ask their opinion if it was them or their wife daughter what would They do πŸ’–πŸ’ͺ
Highlighted

Haha Shi no worries at least you don't keep making predictive text blunders like me!! Mine are rubbish too, not even funny like the Bra /Brad Pitt one πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Highlighted

Oh my God I'm at it again bloody predictive text 🀐 note to self proof read posts πŸ˜‚
Highlighted

Sorry meant to say Trusham wouldn't do a clearance
Highlighted
Community Champion

Ladies, it's natural we all worry about the unknown. I can remember the night before going for my pathology results, I layed in bed fearing (dreading) the news that I'd need more chemo! - why? I have no idea - suffice to say I was extremely fortunate and my report was good.

Still doesn't stop us worrying - I'm now concerned about having rads and what that entails but really we must learn to stop worrying - at the end of the day we must let the professionals advise us what's best for us.
Highlighted

Trisha I had surgery previously chemo I remember vividly being distraught when path results came back I think had they known what they discovered when op happened I would have been chemo first but lucky for me my surgeon went on her gut and took a larger area out during the WLE and took 5 nodes out on the SNB she explained to me when I asked for a full clearance that as I had 1 out of 5 nodes positive she would do a clearance and that axillary and node radiotherapy would clear up any stray cells, again its a hard one to call but I would ask your onc advise on this one as well as surgeon x
Highlighted

Treehouse, I'll be thinking about you next Tues.  Waiting for results is pants. The worst. Times ten.

It's good that you've let us all know what's been eating away at you, you know we understand better than anyone. It's so hard sometimes trying not to worry your family any more than they are already worried. But that's what we're here for.  We can't actually make your lymph nodes behave themselves, but we can have a jolly good try -- anyone for a node dance?

Highlighted
Community Champion

What a lovely sister you have Treehouse - so nice your boys will be able to have a fun time away and camping too - every boys dream!!

Please, don't feel you'd be ruining another holiday - your boys will, I'm sure, not be thinking that - they'll just be glad and grateful their Mum is around xxx
Highlighted

Trisha, no wonder you're so confused, it's a lot to take in. You need to give it time and talk to as many people as you can.

As for lymphoedema, please don't let that worry you too much. I know they talk about it a lot for people who've had treatment (rads or surgery) for the axillary lymph nodes, and it sounds worrying, but the reason they go on about it is because you need to take sensible measures to protect yourself (such as taking proper care of any minor cuts to prevent infection, not having injections on that side, etc). Only a minority of people ever develop lymphoedema -- and even for those who do, it's usually manageable. I had axillary clearance and rads 15 years ago, and I did develop mild lymphoedema a couple of years later, but now it is completely under control, to look at me you'd never even know, there is no discomfort or inconvenience, I wear a compression sleeve only when doing seriously heavy gardening and when flying, but that's just as a precaution. There is nothing that I can't do!  If you do end up having treatment which might increase your lymphoedema risk, be sure to do all the exercises and take the advice seriously, but please don't worry about something that will probably never even happen, especially if you're a generally fit and active type of person!

Meanwhile, do talk to the experts and give yourself time to absorb all the information.

Highlighted

Hi Trish sending hugs been worried about you.
So all of this is since path report?
I find out about mine next Tuesday and to be honest I too am πŸ’©ing myself. They took both boobs but only 2 lymph nodes so will have to wait and see if they are clear or affected.
What would you prefer?
If in doubt I ask my doctor what would you do? ( if it’s a woman) or what would you advise your wife to do? ( if it’s a man)
You don’t have to agree but at least you get their honest opinion.
I worry they might decide I need rads after all. Which is not great after I have had implants.

Eek I think I have just been honest and told you all what I have been keeping in for the last week.
Can’t seem to tell family as they are so desperate for this to be over and for me to get better. 😒
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Trisha - sorry to hear you've had a week of feeling upset and worried.

The outcome of your meeting with the surgeon has quite obviously thrown a big spanner in the works right now and you are feeling nervous and I would imagine, almost like the early days of diagnosis. I'm so sorry.

DCIS is what I had as well as a lump in a separate area of the breast. I was advised an MX and total lymph removal. Originally I was to have a lumpectomy.

The DCIS was discovered in the early days of diagnosis - I had bad news, followed by more bad news and more bad news and at that point I just stopped listening.

Have you had any lymphs removed yet? I'm not sure which option I would take. Obviously, surgery would definitely remove them but it's so debilitating for a good 6 weeks. The risk of lymphodema is probably about the same rads -v- op. Personally, I'd just want to know that the rads alone would destroy any potential cancer that is there.

So you have a week to let your mind settle, no doubt you have lots of questions - write them down now and make sure you get answers before making any decisions.

Oh Trisha - wish there was a magic wand we could wave for you and things would all work out but unfortunately we are powerless - all I can say is - I'm thinking of you and hope you can look pass this blip soon and start on the road to a conclusion. xx
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sorry mishy Just spotted response was for Trisha below. Trisha, apologies and hope mishy post helps. πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•shi xx
Highlighted

Thanks Mishy

My original lump went from 33mm to 0mm after Chemo and was/am just still very confused with it all.   I dont want Lymphodema which has been mentioned if I opt for the Lymph node (Axillary, but does that mean ALL of them, will it come back???)  So many questions and no partner or family here to talk to.  So I apologise if I repeat myself xx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Mishy you’ve posted your cilla moment on the May thread not Oct thread πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚lorra Lorra laughs 😁😁❀️😁your post about the hair will be a big help to Oct girls that you’ve done thank you sweety πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Highlighted

Hi trisha I'm from the July thread, when I first had my surgery my results came back that I too had DCIS aswell as the original lump my surgeon had removed it luckily but I didn't have the axillary clearance you mentioned bit when I have my rads after chemotherapy finishes I am having axillary aswell as the breast treated, my surgery was prescribed chemo and I know yours wasn't but when originally diagnosed they thought my lump was smaller with no lymph nodes but path results came back lump was double in size with surrounding DCIS involvement and a macrometesis in a lymph she removed 5 hope this info may help you a little by the way I was diagnosed as TN. πŸ’–
Highlighted
Community Champion

Treehouse - to hear something go twang is good - it's a sign things are sorting themselves out and should avoid cording.

Unfortunately, it is a slow process and we do need to be patient - it's not in my nature but I've got to learn quick!
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Wolfee - good news 3 weeks (15 sessions) of rads - and you're going to be all finished by Christmas.

Sorry to hear your sister has to wait for her drains to be removed - they really are the worst bit about surgery.

The burning feelings down my arm lasted until end of week 3 - they then disappeared to be taken over by this painful cord - which in all fairness since doing more exercises and massaging as instructed by bcn it is improved today.

I hear what you're saying about the bcn and as much as I admire them - I really do, I do feel their "soothing, caring, patronising almost pathetic voice" slightly annoying too For example during my telephone conversation with one of my bcn yesterday - she said, "when the surgeon manipulates them - he does it in a certain way and with some strength and they just disappear" - "OUCH" was my reply - to which she said "No it doesn't hurt!" - to which I very nearly said and how the hell do you know - have you had it??!! but something inside me stopped and instead I just said "Oh OK!"
Highlighted

Been slothful all day. Even wearing my mums heated cape to keep shoulders from tensing up. I did reach behind me and something went twang in my right boob.
This is going to be a slow process. I need to be patient .
My sister has invited my 2 boys camping over half term with her kids and they are so excited. Such a relief that they will be having fun and I won’t be ruining another holiday.
I am so grateful x
Highlighted

Hi Wolfee and ladies

Been a hermit all week!  Been upset and worried.

Dont know if I put on here my news coz head all over the place. 

Will try explain briefly the outcome of my meeting last Monday with Surgeon following lumpectomy and small lymph node involvement.

The have found that I have a Gene called DCIS and they want take some more out of my breast and then 'I' have 2 options.  Radiotherapy on lymph nodes as well as breast or. Axillary surgery.  (Drains were mentioned)   I didnt take much more than that in.

Have my Radiotherapy 1st meeting discuss what happens next Thursday and was told Oncolgist would be there too but today on a call with a BC NUrse she couldnt confirm if he would be there!!!!

Surgery has been booked for 8th November so I bloody hope I get some good advice next week!!

Pre last MOndays appt I was just waiting for radiot on my boob and the usual 3 weekly Herceptin jabs.

xx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚Jay sloth up a tree in Suffolk πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚thanks for afternoon chuckle. Tatyana thanks again for posting the udder cream info to the Oct girls 😘hope your will get back to normal soon. πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ•Ίhealing dance and ✨✨✨✨for everyone. Love shi xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Katie - my feet are definitely more tickleish since chemo it's ridiculous! I don't think I could manage a pedicure for that very reason!! x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Wow what a fantastic hubby you have - a treat for you both to enjoy and mark the start of a new beginning...

My goodness tough mudder - now that's madness! I'm planning to do local breast cancer walk next April/May time. My sister and my niece did it this year but I'm joining them next year....
Highlighted
Community Champion

No Tatyana definitely not making that up - it's official. 

Lucky you seeing them on holiday - that must have been amazing.  I'd love to see them in the wild, they really impress me.  I caused great hilarity amongst my family whilst on holiday in Suffolk a few years ago - I swore I saw one in a tree as we were driving along a country road - made my husband stop, turn around and go pass the field again - just to discover it was my imagination.....!!!!

and that was in the days before chemo etc to blame!

The one in the photo was born in a local zoo in 2016.

Highlighted

Wolfee, yes it can be so annoying to be told not to worry. Of course you're worried! Maybe I can set your mind at rest a little bit as far as lymphoedema is concerned, any swelling within a few weeks of surgery is much more likely to be not lymphoedema but common-or-garden "edema" which just means swelling and is a natural consequence of any kind of injury. Try to keep your hand and wrist moving gently, nothing strenuous but little finger exercises as if playing an imaginary piano, this will help the excess fluid to circulate and eventually disappear. I hope it gets less painful soon.

I think at this stage we are all prone to worry at absolutely anything, the bcn is right to say it's "natural," but that doesn't make it any easier to bear!

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi wolfee, good news you’ve only 3 round and not 4, the finishing line is in sight. Yes patience levels are tested when you’d actually like s bit better answer form the professionals when you’ve got queries like is it a blood clot/lymphedema could you try for appointment with lymphedema nurse separate? Sorry your sister had not been able to have her drains removed yet, the drains and bottle were the worst bit you can’t seem to get comfy with them in. Hopefully she will be able to have them out soon. πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Highlighted

Katie what a wonderful husband and good for you signing up for tough mudder, it does look a lot of fun though 

mai I am not feeling to bad still at minute, it's a bit weird the doctaxel because side effect have been so inconsistent.  Not even had the trots yet but that would change lol 

Wolfee it's really annoying when people tell you not to worry and that it's normal when it doesn't feel normal sending hugs xx  

Highlighted

Had my appointment with radiologist this morning.
He told me I will be having 3 weeks of treatment 15 sessions. I won’t be needing the 4th week of boosters because I had mastectomy its not needed. I will her an appointment during the next two weeks for the sizing up and tattoo etc with treatment starting in about 3 weeks from now.

My sister wasn’t allowed her drains out again today she has another follow up on Tuesday next week that will be her two week day. Out hospital are so persistent on the drains staying in at least two weeks of you have the mesh (amimal skin)

The nurse reassured me the burning feelings I’m getting down the back of my arm is ok that it can actually last months. I really hope not that would be really bad news. My hand and wrist is slightly swollen again she said it’s probably just because of surgery (I felt like saying probably isn’t good enough I’d like to know that it probably isn’t a blood clot or lymphadema) but didn’t just listened 2 her soothing caring patronising voice telling me don’t worry everyone feels the same it’s normal etc etc (sorry my personal annoyance at the BC nurses coming out there)
Highlighted

How are you doing Trish? We haven't heard from you from a while. Hope you are OK x
Highlighted

Hope all doing well this afternoon ladies. I've just been for manicure and pedicure as my treat for finishing. Didn't realise how sensitive my feet still are! Xx
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

You will feel well enough to join in treehouse, look at all the hurdles you have jumped already, it’s getting a bit of r&r now, you were brad pitt shopping within days of being out after such a big op. All I managed 9 days after my op was a trip to the movies, so look at what you have achieved already amazing lady. πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Highlighted

Today I am 6 weeks post Chemo and 8 days post surgery. Life just keeps plodding on. Just want to feel well enough to join in.
Highlighted
Community Champion

Katie, what a lovely husband you have. Enjoy your appointment free time and your lovely holiday. I recommend going to see the lava fields and guisers if you haven't been already, they are very interesting, apparently some of Star Wars was filmed there.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Happy Sloth Day ladies and I hope you manage to get some quality sloth time today.  I'm working at home again and have had runny eyes again this morning.

Tatyana, ouchy, ouchy, hope your hands get better soon. That sounds most unpleasant.  My hand problem is with the nail beds being painful from neuropathy. I can't open ring pull tins or tetra packs without a knife to lever them up.

Treehouse, glad you are finally getting some sleep again. That will help to keep the grumpy at bay so you can be all chilled and sloth like. How many weeks/days are you now post-op just so I know what to expect sleep comfort wise?

Rosie, have a fab weekend in Stratford. Lovely part of the country and I would like to go there again for the meal and river cruise.

MisyAngel, you must be on your day 4 post-steroid crash now. Hope the SEs are kinder to you than last time. Just get lots of slothy rest. 

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Tatyana many thanks for the link, I’ve just ordered some 😘😘😘could I be cheeky and ask you to please post that link for the Oct girls plese, thank you again πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»Dance tatyana hand better. What a lovely husband surprise holiday, how lovely πŸ’•πŸ’•love and sparkles πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Highlighted

Yay Katie so excited for you
What a great surprise πŸ˜€βœ¨πŸŽ‰
Highlighted

Katie, what a wonderful hubby you've got! Lanzarote -- have a brilliant time!

Highlighted

International sloth day! Ha love it!

Well it's the first day in 4 weeks I haven't had to go out for appointment feeling little lost! My hubby has booked a surprise holiday for us to celebrate finishing treatment so we are all off to Lanzarote on Sunday! So excited!!!!!

My friend has also asked me to sign up for tough mudder in August next year so I'm going to do it and use it to push me to get fit and healthy . Eek what have I done !

Hope everyone else ok xx
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Many thanks jay about the cream and to you and tatyana for those beautiful sloth photos, tatyana how lovely for you to have seen them in Costa Rica, what a beautiful holiday that must have been πŸ˜˜βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨πŸ’•πŸ’•shi xx
Highlighted

Shi, here's a link to amazon for the 10% urea version of Udderly Smooth cream, it's called "extra care," this is the tube but you can also get it in a bigger tub which works out cheaper. Make sure you get the one with urea. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Udderly-Smooth-Extra-Cream-118ml/dp/B008XI9C1E/ref=sr_1_8_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Highlighted

Oh Jay, you've really cheered me up, I had no idea it was International Sloth Day (I trust that you're not just making it up. You wouldn't would you?). I love sloths, we had a wonderful holiday in Costa Rica a couple of years ago and saw lots of them. They are a very positive role model. They do as little as possible, just stretch out an arm to grab a leaf when they feel like a snack, and come down off the tree once a week to do their business. Other than that, it seems their only aim in life is to look cute!

P1010510.JPG