cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

May 2017 chemo starters

Highlighted

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

Damn so I’ll have 2 quit my welly wanging 😱

Had my radiotherapy planning today. All measured up and the little dots tattoo things done so all ready 2 go now. My first treatment is 16th November.

The doctor looked at my swollen hand and is contacting my breast Care nurse and getting her to refer me to the lymphadema clinic via nhs (today’s doctor was private doc my radiotherapy has been outsiders at private clinic) she said they should have taken my complaint more seriously and I shouldn’t have been left this long. It’s a known fact that if it is lymphadema it’s better controlled the quicker you catch it. (Apparently the waiting time at this lymphadema clinic after referral is about 8 weeks)
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Welly wanging, not seen that since school summer feet in the 70’s where if you won 1st prize was a bag of revels, they were a good 1st prize in the 70’sπŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Highlighted

Welly wanging πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Highlighted

Jay and Treehouse, I'm with you on bakeoff! Never really got into it on the BBC, but am now officially an addict. Noel Fielding creases me up. And the contestants are brilliant. Felt so sorry for (spoiler alert!) Steven, but it was the right result on the day.

Highlighted

Jay, don't assume that your lymph arm will never be the same again. That's what I thought when I had my lumpectomy with ax clearance (actually, it did feel as if they took an axe to it!). But gradually I did get the strength back, and for the last umpteen years I've been using it normally. OK, I was never a weightlifter, but I swim, garden, do nature conservation work (cutting down trees!) etc. The only concession I make is that if I'm doing something a bit strenuous I wear a compression sleeve to protect it. I am careful if lifting heavy weights etc, but that's a good idea anyway -- if I do have to lift something heavy I use both arms and take great care of my back (otherwise the chiropractor will be cross, and we don't want that, do we!)

I think they put a lot of emphasis on taking care of that arm, because it's important to be aware and avoid injuries as far as possible. But sometimes I think they can frighten us a bit too much, unnecessarily. It doesn't mean you can't exercise and use your arm more or less normally. Obviously if your favourite hobby is javelin throwing or welly wanging, I apologise, because you may indeed find you have to give that up forever! But for most "normal" activities a lympho arm is fine. A lot of BC ladies took up dragon boat rowing just to prove it. https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/vita-magazine/join-breast-cancer-dragon-boat... You just have to give it time. Loads of time!

Highlighted
Community Champion

I totally agree Treehouse - I too couldn't watch it previously but on C4 I've thoroughly enjoyed it - Tuesday eves (and sometimes catching up on Wed) will not be the same!!
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hey Treehouse - you can have some of my fat for your injections - my goodness you'd have a big pair!!!! lol....

It took ages before I could get in the bath properly - and I only had a single MX - even now I can't get out "normally". It's the lymph arm where the strength has gone and will never be the same again that I struggle with.
Highlighted

Hi Jay
Yes I think on the final it was a good result. All were very impressive. I am crap at baking but love to watch. I know people are very protective of bake off but at the risk of being controversial I didn’t watch it much before because Mel and sue are a bit awkward. Sandi is a bit more relaxed. Noel is likeable and bonkers.
The contestants are the stars 🌟
Highlighted
Community Champion

Good morning ladies - hope all is well.

Today brings more sunshine, so I'm off to peg out some washing then I'm getting in the car for a 5 minute drive to walk the dog along the fields, finally I'm going into work for an hour......!!  Returning to prepare a beef bourgnion for dinner together with some homemade bread rolls!!  

Something tells me I should sleep better tonight!

The days are creeping by Mai - thinking of you x

Any news on rads yet WolfEE and Daffodil? 

Highlighted

Rosie don’t lose any weight you need it for your boobs 😜.

I put on a stone during Chemo and it’s slowly dropping but can’t decide what affects that has on boobs. Surgeon suggested fat injections if they don’t settle properly. That causes so many questions.
Just happy with what I have for now.
Longing for a soak in Epsom salts but stillkneeling in shallow bath πŸ›€ or shower 🚿 at the moment.
Soon I hope.
Highlighted
Community Champion

Well done Treehouse - a slow walk is as good as a fast one in your situation. I saw bake off final too - did you agree with result?
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Rosie - no, I haven't heard anything about Moving Forward courses in our area.  If I do hear of anything I'll let you know.  I'm seeing the onc next Monday and bcn next Tuesday - one of them may mention it.

I agree my legs too feel like lead after walking - especially if I climb the stairs....!!!  I love the image of you lying back on the floor whilst "Kelly" continues....!! haha Smiley LOL

Highlighted

All the best today Mishy, ring that bell loud and clear.

Hope you manage to stay awake for the full three hours Heather

Jay - do they do the Moving Forward courses in our area? I haven't heard about anything.

treehouse - my legs always feel like lead after walking. Trying to strengthen my core muscles with You Tube videos of Fitness Blender in advance of my DIEP op. Usually end up just lying on my back on the floor while "Kelly" carries on with the exercises lol

Highlighted

Thank you ladies! I'm feeling strange! Will check in when I'm home πŸ˜ƒ
Highlighted

Thinking of you today mishy as you ring that bell. Let us know how you get on. Mixed emotions for most of us.
Heather I spent hours looking for a moving forward course near me... nothing. Sounds like I might be looking further afield too. Let me know if it is worth it.
Wolfee is it radiotherapy planning today? Hope it all goes well and you feel well prepared.

I managed a slow walk around the block last night. As it was Halloween πŸŽƒ husband let me wear the yoda hat in public just this once πŸ˜‚. Got back in time to see final of bake off. Legs feel like lead this morning tho. Gently does it. Fitness is still a distant dream.
Love and sparkles ✨ to all x x x
Highlighted

I’ll be waiting to see how the course goes. There is one in February I can sign up for.
Gosh yeah 3 hours of listening and consentrating after a long drive it will be tough but hopefully not as difficult as you think. I hope you enjoy x
Highlighted

Good luck for last one Mishy, another one across the chemo finishing line!

Part 1 of 4 this morning for Moving Forward course. Better be worth it as 1 hr drive to get there. Session is 3 hrs long, how can I concentrate for that long after 7 months off work. Will report back on content.

H

Highlighted

Mishy, last one tomorrow πŸ‘ πŸ”” you’ve done it xxx
Highlighted

Good luck for tomorrow Mishy x

Misyangel , my course was over 2 weeks . Found first half was pretty just stuff you would already know and where to go if you did need anything.

2nd week was much better. More time to chat to others . And had physio in to talk about exexcise etc going forward. X
Highlighted
Community Champion

Good luck for final chemo tomorrow Mishy - it's such a great feeling getting that last one under your belt. What's next for you?

It's lovely being able to walk the dog again - I've only just returned to it doing it by myself. Previously it had been early May!!
Highlighted
Community Champion

Ouch WolfEE that sounded very painful!  Typical too that things like this happen just when you're enjoying yourself - enjoying the freedom and feeling well.

Did any lights come on the dashboard - usually when the power steering goes you get a light come on.  If this happens, by turning the ignition off, waiting a few minutes and then trying again it sometimes corrects itself - i know this as we had a few problems with our power steering on one of our cars a while back.

Hope the swelling in your hands and fingers goes down very soon - if not get it checked out.

Highlighted

I got a few bras from Asda, just elasticated so I step into them and pull up over waist. Still wearing them now as so comfortable. Not expensive, roughly 6 pounds each.

Highlighted

Shi, I love the t-bleep, I thought it was a new word for our favourite T, the Docetaxel!
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Tbleep should have said t-shirt!!! Sorry xx
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Wolfee😘sorry to hear nightmare with the car and that it’s caused you pain😘😘sending kisses better. I’ve not done rads yet but after op they told me to get full movement range back before rads in case you have to have your arm(s) up over your heads in the machine? Mai7 not sure if you got told same in your pre op? although I was lucky as my pre op person had got the t-**bleep** for this journey themselves so was able to give me their tips too. Treehouse they were only about Β£6 in a plain black or white from sainsbury so nothing special, but oh so very very comfy, you don’t even know you are wearing one. BlissπŸ˜˜πŸ’•βœ¨shi xx
Highlighted

Katie glad you enjoyed your holiday - quick question how was the moving forward course is it worth attending?

treehouse sorry to hear you are suffering with hot flushes

wolfee ouch that sounds painful, hope you get the car sorted. I really don't know how you are working so soon after surgery and still with radiation to go 😳

Mishy how exciting for last chemo tomorrow, I had mine two weeks ag and it stills unreal that it is over with . It is a great feeling knowing won't have to go back again for that part 

Highlighted

Hope you collect plenty of sweets Katie πŸŽƒ
Highlighted

Hope you manage to get your car sorted x
Highlighted

Hi wolfee, I haven't been too bad aftereally rads but think it can affect you. My hospital offered physio if needed during rads?

Just off treat or treating! Will have to stay out a while I've run out of sweets already ! X
Highlighted

Emma one a day!!!
I’m only doing my exercises once a day I just can’t bring myself 2 do more!! I’m so tired after work and then after I’ve eaten my evening meal to lazy!!
So my question for any of you who have already done the radiotherapy does it stiffen you up again?

I have fairly good movement at the moment so although not ideal I think I’m recovering with my only once per day exercises but do you think i will need to force myself through rads to do more??????
Highlighted

Isn't that just typical? The one time in your life when you really need the power steering, and that's when it chooses to go wrong. Poor you, Wolfee, just when you were enjoying your freedom.

Highlighted

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚they do look a bit like blobs πŸ˜‚
Highlighted

Hi Tree house

They stick a needle in which is painless due to numbness. Hope your blobs resolve themselves.

xx

Highlighted

Eek wolfee not good. Sounds like the power steering has had it. Sorry to hear it has caused you pain and swelling 😬.
Hope it isn’t too expensive to fix.
Thanks Shi, I will have a mooch x
Highlighted

Hi girls.
So the car thing Treehouse.
Saturday I was out test driving the car after the operation. The week prior I think I could have drive but because my boss was away and wanted me 2 Work the company paid for taxis so I took the offer (save on petrol)
Anyway Saturday morning driving with my sister as passenger and loving the freedom the window down nice breeze and sunny if cold day so looked and smelt good and I had lovely feeling of freedom. Decided to drive to the shopping centre treated myself new Wool hats, shoes and trousers for work, lunch, coffee .......... spent way to much but it was good buying things being out and feeling well.

Drive home the car starts making a strange noise the steering went heavy I couldn’t control the car and the steering wheel was like a million tonne weight. I hurt my surgery arm a lot getting control back of the car. I wasn’t far from home so wrongly I continued driving it.
Now the swelling in my hand and fingers had got worse. And the bloody car is on the drive out of action. I’m now using my sisters car because she is off work recovering from her op and will be working from home for a few more weeks.
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Treehouse, sainsburys do a nice range of soft non underwire bras, I got a couple of those when I first got diagnosed and threw the underwire bras away and they have been comfort too now not in zip front bras this last week, good for sleeping in as well as comfort during day while just in house. Hope that helps πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Highlighted

Mishy bell ringing tomorrow!! That’s great. πŸ˜€
It’s a strange feeling but because a pop back every 3 weeks I feel a bit of a fraud.

Went to m&s for yet another bra today. Still trying to find something comfortable to sleep in. I need to get shares!!
Highlighted

Hi everyone Treehouse hope your boob starts to feel better soon x I got strange feelings in mine especially where they took the nodes from! Like electricity 😨
I think my cry yesterday and offloading did me good yesterday as I have woken up feeling alot better today I think it's learning to cope with things and knowing that my feelings are all completely normal helps
Good to hear everyone is slowly but surely getting back to a bit if normality
I too am looking forward to walking my dog on my own I really have missed that it was my me time after a long and stressful day at work me and Izzy would set off for our evening walk together 😊 I think she misses it to she gets walks but is probably wondering why I never take her out!
She's very clingy which is weird she was always more for my oh before this!!
I feel weird today knot it's my last chemo session tomorrow but still pleased all the same πŸ˜€
Highlighted
Community Champion

Katie, welcome back and glad you had a fab holiday. Maybe washing is what you really need now to take your mind off the cold weather! Must be a bit of a shock! πŸŒ₯

Treehouse, sorry to hear you are feeling below par. You've been through so much it's hard to know what the cause is. Chemo SEs, hot flashes, Herceptin, surgery exhaustion.... Just be kind to yourself. Hugs. Xx

Shi, you are stronger than you think and need to give yourself some credit for that. Keep going down that chemo tunnel brave lady, we are all clapping for you. πŸ’ͺ🏼 ✨

Jay, glad you've indulged yourself and are now calling on the dogs assistance to walk off those extra calories! 😜 

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Treehouse, yes that a better take on it, its is the oddest feeling isnt it but I'd looked up things prior to the op to try and know what to expect post op as best I could at the time, I didnt ever think I'd be on a forum as I dont do this kind of thing ever ... Mai7 you have been a blessing to me as have all the wonderful, strong, caring May Thread, I will never be able to thank you all enough as well at Tatyana and Mishy18 and our Crazy gang on the Oct Thread, we are all in crazy chemo head at the moment and would have been utterly lost without the tips and support from you lovely, amazing, strong, compassionate ladies.  Love and sparkles always Shi xx

Highlighted

Thanks Shi. I described it as stinging nettles or fire ants 🐜.
At least the skin has feeling
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi treehouse, as things were knitting back together for weeks after Op it felt like a mass of spiders under my skin running round where op had happened was the oddest feeling but did go after about 6-8 weeksπŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Good morning ladies - hope all are feeling well.

I'm in my final week post chemo and surgeery before appointments start again next week and I'm looking for ways to entertain myself on the cheap!

After yesterday's very indulgent Afternoon Tea in a 5* - luxurious hotel I've got to suffer a comedown!  So what I'm intending to do today is drive 15 minutes from home with the dog, go for a lovely doggie walk and then return to browse in the charity shop and may pop into the supermarket for some sleep easy tea bags!  Return home just before my boy returns from school and giving us a time to have a little halloween fun before dinner!  

Enjoy your day all x Smiley LOL

Highlighted

Mishy I completely understand how you feel about reoccurrence anxiety. I think we all feel like that from time to time. And with treatment coming to an end it gets worse.
I still have appointments in the diary so I know I can see someone soon. But as that becomes less I know I will worry more.
It’s strang how my mum has been a massive influence on my coping with this as she is still here but now I start to focus on the fact that it came back for her( 3 times)
Having said that, her experience also helped me decide on double mastectomy and ovaries removed .
It’s complicated and we each have to do what is right for us.
We are in the system and we are all super vigilant, that has to be a good thing.
Hugs x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Rosie - when it comes to bilateral mastecomies and blood tests/pressure checks - it's only if the lymph nodes have also been removed that the arm can't be used.
Highlighted
Community Champion

Treehouse - sorry to hear you're not feeling 100% - could it be herceptin related? I'm not too bad - I do have the usual runny nose and aching legs but this time round I have felt more pins and needles in finger tips and numbness in toes - today, so far, not as bad as yesterday!

I hope the pain relief works. x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi MJK - that's a great idea - once my next stage is confirmed and finished, I too will be taking a break from social media.

I'm sure all the ladies will agree, this whole journey is a difficult one - and no doubt when you get to the finishing line - as you have - it must feel like you've literally been through a "battle" - and coming out the other side is a relief but also gives you time to reflect enabling you to recognise the realitity of just what you've been through the past 9/10 months - and during that period you need space and support from those directly around you.  Remember we are still here though if you need a listening ear.

Rest and heal well MJK - come back and visit when you're ready and give us an update.  XX

Highlighted

Hi Katie welcome home. Hope you had a good holiday and forgot all about C for a week.
Interesting you mentioned breast trauma I have heard that before but can’t pin point a specific incident for me. Just kids elbows.
Rosie I did ask the nurse about which arm to use for tests etc. In hospital they used my leg for bp. But at last visit we went for non cancer side that has not had nodes removed.
Nice sunny day here. Not feeling 100%. I think the night sweats are catching up on me. I wake up feeling unwell and it takes me a while to remember why and settle down again.
Wolfee did you ever tell us the car πŸš— story?
Hope everyone is doing ok. I think nerves are waking up in boobs as they are super sensitive at the moment, I did read this could happen week 3. Back on the pain killers.
X x x
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Rosie, thanks for positive about tn😘always good to hear thank youπŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨hope everyone’s se’s are soothing off a bit and wishing everyone comfortable recoveries from ops too, slow and steady if you can it’s so easy to do too much too soon. 😘😘love you all πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Highlighted

Welcome back Katie, glad you had a good time in Lanzarote; don't envy you the washing though

As Jay has said it's sunny here in the south east today but very cold. Hope you've got your feet up today Jay, after all your car πŸš— washing.

My op is on 15th Nov, two weeks on Weds. GP is phoning hospital today to discuss the way forward re my iron levels. Hopefully, they will let me know what they want me to do!! I don't think having the SNB a week after finishing chemo helped as it's giving me a false result apparently. Although the scar has healed well and I have full movement in my arm.

I am TN too and like most people, I worry about reoccurrence. However, my sister was TN and 25 years after bc diagnosis is (touch wood) fine. She did have two primary reoccurrences, no further treatment required, just lumpectomies. They were  picked up at 6 month checks but since bilateral mastectomies she has been ok. She was even on Tamoxifen for 5 years as they didn't understand TN then.

treehouse - when giving blood etc what do you say when they ask which arm you want it taken from as you've had surgery both sides?