cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

May 2017 chemo starters

Jay68
Community Champion

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

Fantastic news Tatyana - I'm really pleased for you and as your surgeon says - go and enjoy a wonderful Christmas and put this behind you. I'm also so pleased for your hubby - to see them properly smile again is amazing isn't it.

I agree, good news is lovely to hear and we need to share it. Big hug to you too and indeed, where would we be without our nearest and dearests - I can't imagine having to go through this alone like some people have to. I count my blessings everyday xx
tatyana

Well, I saw the surgeon, and she had a BIG smile πŸ’₯πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒon her face. She's confident that she removed it all. The chemo had shrunk it to 5cm. She looked for lymph nodes but there were none whatsoever because the surgeon 15 years ago did a good job! As there are no axillary nodes, it's very unlikely that there's any spread to the supraclavicular nodes, because it would have no way of getting there! She was very upbeat and seriously pleased with my recovery, and quite rightly proud of her handiwork. It seems it was rather challenging because she had to remove quite a lot of skin, so joining it back up wasn't easy. But it's healing really well. Apparently the negative pressure gadget really worked.

I have to see the oncologist later, and they will have further results from the pathologist-- they have to talk to him/her personally to get a feeling for it, over and above what you can put in tickboxes on a report form. Then they will decide when,if, to do another scan and see whether any further treatment is advised. But none of that will happen until after Christmas because everything needs time to finish healing.

She couldn't really tell me about margins yet, but was confident; I think she just didn't want to tread on the toes of the other team members! The message she left me with was: Go away, have a wonderful Christmas, and get on with your life!

All of this was way better than I was expecting. I know it's not necessarily the end of the story, but I can't tell you how chuffed I feel! It's great to see a real genuine smile on hubby's face, after all he's been through.

But still no hoovering for a while. Shucks! Sorry to go on at such length, but it's nice to have some good news to share! Big hugs to you all, ladies. And to your nearest and dearest, where would we be without them?
Mai7
Community Champion

MisyAngel & Tatyana, I'd also get confirmation that the margins were clear. How many nodes tested positive for micro or macro metasteses (if any). They can give you a statistical risk rating for likelihood of recurrence but they usually don't like those stats as they give an averaged based prognosis and not your prognosis. Best wishes to you both. Xx

Shi, best wishes for your gene test luvvie. Thinking of you and sending hugs and positive vibes your way. πŸ’—πŸ’—βœ¨βœ¨xx

Treehouse, hope you are settling in on the ward and feeling better knowing your surgery is just a couple of days away. Xx

Rosie, how are you getting on post-surgery?  Are you happy enough with the unexpected recon in the end? How are you getting on with the Physio? Xx

Mishy18

Misyangel yes ask those 3 questions i asked them after surgery then again yesterday at post chemo meeting yhry have to give yiu a straight answer its in their code of ethics xxx
Jay68
Community Champion

Misyangel - my advice would be exactly the same as Treehouse - take someone with you and listen to all the surgeon has to say and then ask three simple questions - has it all gone? am I cancer free? what's the next plan?  - good luck for tomorrow xx

treehouse

Misyangel I listen to everything she had to say and the just asked straight out.
β€˜ is it all gone? Am I cancer free?’
They have to give you a straight answer.
No one can predict the future but you need to know the results of this battle x x
Mishy18

Tatanya thinking about you today remember my onc said TN is a tgr big bad one everyone seems to make it out to be chemi really kicks its ass xxx
Shi good luck today with your gene test results too
Much love to everyone else Treehouse hope yoyare getting sleep on the ward and thinking positive vibes sending virtual hugs πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—
misyangel

treehouse hope you are feeling ok today,  Are you likely to be home for christmas?

Ladies I go an get my pathology results tomorrow, any advice that anyone can offer?  Not sure what they tell you and what questions I need to be asking it all seems very confusing

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

😘😘😘morning treehouse, πŸ‘ΎπŸ€–πŸ‘ΎπŸ€–πŸ‘ΎπŸ€–πŸ‘ΉπŸ‘ΉπŸ‘Ή extra antibiotics coming your way πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
tatyana

Thanks ladies, I'll let you know how it goes!
treehouse

Tatyana fingers crossed 🀞 for a good result today. Hope they make things clear. Ask questions don’t walk out confused. Hope someone is going with you. X
Jay68
Community Champion

Good luck to Tatyana today for your post-op results - will be thinking of you xx

tatyana

Treehouse, doing a bug-killing dance to make sure the antibiotics have well and truly zapped the infection by Thursday.πŸ›πŸ›πŸœπŸ‘―πŸ‘―πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ•ΊπŸ•Ί
tatyana

Mishy that sounds really encouraging, they are going to keep an eye on you but basically your job, once rads are over, is to get on with your life and not worry. Easier said than done, but it gets easier as time goes on.

Mishy18

Treehouse im really pleased your surgery is Thursday and they can still get more antibiotics into you xx
Mishy18

Mai i start on Friday wil be doing rads right througb dec into new year im like you not at al bothered its over xmas would rsther hsve treatment done!
They told me mine would take 35 mins aporox
Had post chemo onc app today well no scans nothing just a yearly mammo will see onc for five years 3 monthly then 6 then annually waa told i could go anytime if concerned re unusual symptoms pain anywhere and that i shouldn't be obsessed abiut a TN diagnosis and that it actually responds very well to chemo however if yoy are to get a recurrence its usually within 3 years but again he says my risk is really small so its on with rads and just take each day as it comes abd br thankful that i found it they removed it and i have had all the treatment thrown my way to hopefully prevent the πŸ’© ever coning back!!!
Jay68
Community Champion

Funnily enough I did Mai, in the form of my Dad!! He's a human stopwatch!! Smiley Very Happy x

Mai7
Community Champion

Tatyana, best wishes for tomorrow and make sure you write down all of your anxieties and questions so you can dump them all in the consultants office and leave them there. The inflammatory thing is very scary and confusing!

tatyana

Hi Mai, you're not alone in getting conflicting signals over "inflammatory." I haven't seen anyone use the phrase "inflammatory breast cancer," but the various letters to my GP and discharge letters have talked about "inflammatory signs" and elements and various other forms of words. (They've also referred to it sometimes as a "recurrent" cancer and sometimes as a "new primary," which is a different thing.) So I'm very interested in what you said. I know exactly where you're coming from, any little sign of redness is frightening at the moment -- although just now I'm so black-and-blue from the surgery that I can't really tell!

As it happens, tomorrow is my post-surgery "results" day. So maybe I can get some clarification. Can't say I'm looking forward to it!

Mai7
Community Champion

Treehouse, glad your surgery date has been brought forward a bit. That must be a relief for you.  Try and relax and zone out as much as you can.....and most of all, step away from the Google. Xx

Jay, did you take a stopwatch to your rads today? πŸ˜‚ All sounds very well organised. I hope I get processed just as efficient. Xx

Over the weekend I had some red/heated flushing to the mastectomy site so I called the breast nurse today and went over for a check up. She confirmed all normal and ok and said that there will be redness there now as the heat doesn't distribute out into the breast. It's straight into the skin. I also asked her about the inflammatory factor and she confirmed that I don't have IBC but had an inflammatory factor to the skin as a result of BC. I don't fully understand it but this is definitely better news after knowing 9/12 nodes were positive. I could do without IBC as well! It's been very confusing as some of the consultants actually call it inflammatory breast cancer but it's never been formally put into my diagnosis in writing.  I also got a bit weepy when I talked about moving forward and had a nice long chat with her.  Tatyana, have you double checked your diagnosis with the inflammatory factor?

Jay68
Community Champion

I'll be thinking of you on the 19th Mai - that's the day mine are scheduled to finish. If your radiotherapy unit runs as well as mine - the appointments really won't mess around with your days too much and as you say if you didn't go - the result would be far worse.

Today's session went really well - the key lesson is to totally relax and let them move you in to position. Also, another tip - drink a couple of cups of water just before going in - it's supposed to help!
Jay68
Community Champion

Treehouse - great to hear you've met the surgeon and you like him - that's one of the biggest battles won!

I'm glad to hear all's going ahead for Thursday - fingers crossed. Hopefully the next few days will fly by for you. When you're not being pumped with antibiotics are you able to move freely around the hospital if you wish - can you go outside? x
Jay68
Community Champion

Hi Andi - today was longer as I had a review first which took 10 minutes, back in the waiting room for 5 minutes then called for treatment - 2 mins getting undressed. 5 mins getting me in position and them checking everything - 5 mins for actual treatment - 2 minutes to get dressed - OUT THE DOOR...!  It really is quick and super efficient.  Suits me down to the ground!

Tamoxifen is no good for me as I'm only HER2+.  Got my 4th herceptin injection this Thursday!

Don't forget to pack the lip balm!

My Christmas plans are going to schedule - thinking about writing my Christmas cards somewhen soon - may even start this evening.

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

😘😘😘go and have a sand bath treehouse and we are here when you need a big warm fluffy towel to wrap round you when heads ready πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
treehouse

Surgery confirmed for Thursday. I am being moved to a ward as someone needs my room. I can cope for 3 nights. X x
Lots of information to get my head around. Drains, pacemaker wires. Central line in neck. Etc.
Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜β€οΈβ€οΈβ€οΈπŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨to everyone and big hugs, just think we are all in need of some extra πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜β€οΈβ€οΈβ€οΈπŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨love shi xx
Mai7
Community Champion

Jay, my rads start on 19th. They do a validation session on 18th then rads for real on 19th, so I'll be going to hospital nearly every day over Christmas. It's a Clinical Christmas! But I remind myself that not going to hospital over Christmas would be worse prognosis-wise.  Hope your session goes well this afternoon. Xx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Treehouse 😘😘big hug round you lovely. I am sorry to hear they want you on antibiotics longer, but good to know they are being safe and making sure you will be 100% for the surgery. I know that won’t comfort you at the minute darling but best to be safe. It’s a risk to get moved back and end up on a ward but you will be closer to home, speak to surgeon again if you can and try and find out if it’s defanitely going to be another week, you know how things can change on antibiotics and it could be sooner. 😘😘😘love you very much and we are all with you πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•β€οΈβ€οΈβ€οΈShi xx
Andi71

Treehouse -  so glad to hear you like your surgeon, it makes all the difference πŸ‘πŸ» Blimey, how do you feel about going back to your local hospital for the week? I mean it’s great in a way because your family will find it easier seeing you so that’s got to be good.  Oh how frustrating all the tooing and frowing 😞 big hugs xx

Andi71

Treehouse - Good to see you’ve settled ok and that you have a side room πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜ƒ Sorry to hear about silly Dr thinking he knew what’s best! I hope your meeting with your surgeon puts your mind at rest and you get to find out when it’ll happen.  In my thoughts petal πŸ’œ

treehouse

Just met my surgeon. He is one of the best!
He explained how serious the damage was but also the need to reduce my risk of infection. Looks like They want me to stay on antibiotics longer before they operate. So maybe Monday next week. I am an hour and 20 min from home. They suggested moving me back but what if they can’t get a bed. Oh this is so frustrating. And unfair on my poor family x x x x
Andi71

WolfEE - I’m not surprised your feeling all over the place with your body surprising you with a period now and the thought of having your ovaries & womb removed.  Sending you a big hug lady.  Life’s a toughie at times and very unfair and I can’t begin to know how you feel about not having children. Your health and well-being is paramount πŸ’œ

Andi71

Jay - All the best for 4th session of rads today!  How long do you have to be in there for?  Has anyone talked about Tamoxifen with you? 

Finally had my first Herceptin (3 weekly) jab.  Felt anxious waiting, but when it was done it went really well.  No stinging and no side effects.  Didn’t know why I worked myself up - silly really! It was great also clearing out all my chemo anti-everything  meds’ too.  Sorting my β€˜list’ now for hospital bag. 

This week:  

Thursday -

Lymphadema Clinic to chat about getting a compression sleeve for my left arm (sentinel biopsy side) to prevent Lymphadema when playing golf or generally using that side.... won’t be playing golf till after op recovery tho!

Friday -

Christmas shopping!!! πŸ‘πŸ»πŸŽ„πŸ˜ƒ I’m meeting up with a very good friend from my secondary school days to go round Bath and the Christmas market.  Wasn’t feeling very festive until yesterday, but now - bring it on!

How are your Christmas plans going?

Jay68
Community Champion

Have you got a date for starting rads Mai?
Jay68
Community Champion

Oh no Wolfee what a surprise visitor that was - I'm really hoping mine stays away (I am almost 50 and the thought of going through the hot sweats all over again don't inspire me!).
I can imagine how you feel about making the decision to have ovaries and womb removed but now you must be feeling a little hesitant - don't rush your decision - give yourself plenty of time. x
Jay68
Community Champion

Good morning Treehouse - glad you arrived safely and have a side room.  Sorry the Registrar didn't listen and ended up bruising you - nasty man!!

Good luck with meeting the surgeon - I hope he manages to elleviate your fears and can perform surgery without too much delay.

Yep back on the rad treadmill today, review first then rads number 4 at 1.15 for me!  

Relax as much as possible - keep smiling and it'll soon be behind you xx

Mai7
Community Champion

WolfEE, sorry you are going through hormonal stuff which is a negative reminder of your ovaries.  Hope they get you on the Tamoxifen soon.  Have you asked when that will start?  Big hugs for you my lovely. πŸ’— Xx

Treehouse, ouchy! Regrrrr-istrar!  Glad you have a side room and hope they make you feel settled and informed soon. Thinking of you always. πŸ’— Xx

Curly, lovely to hear from you and glad you are doing well. I too woke up in the night feeling hot and buzzing and it took me at least an hour to get back to sleep again. Annoying! Xx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

😘😘😘treehouse, we are with you lovely and speak to you soon warrior treehouse πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜β€οΈβ€οΈβ€οΈπŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
tatyana

Treehouse, welcome to sunny Coventry. I hope you got some sleep in the end and that the surgeon is nice. Your poor veins! If a doctor tries to take blood himself rather than getting the nurse to do it, it usually means trouble. I had a doc jabbing and poking at my poor feet for 10 minutes one time in the middle of the night because one arm was no-go and the other had the picc which had a drip in at the time. Very painful feet and absolutely no success. The problem is that half the people are not trained on picc lines, and that seems to include 100% of the doctors!
tatyana

Oh wolfee, that is so sad for you. Don't worry about the hormones in your body, the tamoxifen is for long-term protection and a little bit of hormone chaos in the short term won't matter, this must be true or they'd have started you on the tamoxifen already. But it is so distressing for you to have to cope with the sadness all over again, when you had got used to the situation. You know nothing has really changed, but it's tough. Lots of hugs.πŸ€—πŸ€—
WolfEE

Morning, a few of you looks like you had some trouble getting off 2 sleep hope you all settled in the end.

So horror happened yesterday. I am having what must be a period I know I should be happy as this means my body is recovering and returning to normal after the chemo but I haven’t yet started the tamoxafen and now I’m panicking about all the hormones flying around my body.
Also I was as ok as it’s possible 2 be about having overies and womb etc out when I thought I’d kinda lost all that ability anyway and now it’s makong me sad because perhaps if none of this had happened I could have gone on to have children. I won’t ill stick with the plan but today it all feels harder. 😒
curlyh

Hi All....flushes keeping me awake and brain won't switch off..

Treehouse glad you are settled into side room hope when you talk with surgeon they are kind and put you at ease for your op...also can only imagine your thoughts but you will be with the right team to get this sorted and onto recovery time...you are so brave and strongπŸ’ͺand have great family support...wish you all the best x

Loving the pics of new eyebrows and fab hair...my hair growing but thin still need hats mostly for warmth...my nails look similar but a few have turned white with just a wee bit of new growth hoping they won't fall off....my skin was a bit more red a couple of weeks after rads but is looking more normal now my arm was also heavy and stiff but kept exercising and it is a bit better...take care all hope you are all sleeping😴😴
Mishy18

Im still awake treehouse so just thought i would check in glad you are settled in the ward hope once you speak to surgeon you will be feeling better about the whole thing stay strong πŸ’ͺ big hugs πŸ€—
treehouse

Thank you everyone. Totally overwhelmed by love and support. May and October warriors!!!!! 😘😘
I have a side room πŸ‘. Nurses seem nice. 😍Registrar not so muchπŸ‘Ή. Didn’t listen and tried taking blood from a vein. We stopped doing that after the picc was fitted on Monday!! He seemed to think that he knew best. After 2 painful failed attempts he finally agreed to use the picc .
Thanks for the bruises !
Hope to meet surgeon in the morning. Not expecting op tomorrow......
Good luck back on the rads treadmill tomorrow ladies.
Love you all x x x
buddyfan

ah, that's better. Maybe too many on the previous post!!
buddyfan

ooer, why are the emojis black πŸ¦„πŸŽ‡βœ¨πŸ§πŸ’ƒπŸ•Ί
buddyfan

Good luck Treehouse, form the October board.βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨πŸŽ‡πŸŽ‡πŸŽ‡πŸ¦„πŸ¦„πŸ¦„πŸ¦„πŸ¦„πŸ§πŸ§πŸ¦„πŸ¦„πŸ¦„πŸ¦„πŸ¦„πŸ’ƒπŸ•ΊπŸ’ƒπŸ•ΊπŸ’ƒπŸ•ΊπŸ’ƒπŸ•ΊπŸ’ƒπŸ•ΊπŸ¦„πŸ¦„πŸ¦„πŸ¦„πŸ¦„πŸ§πŸ§πŸ¦„πŸ¦„πŸ¦„πŸ¦„πŸ¦„βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨πŸŽ‡πŸŽ‡πŸŽ‡
misyangel

Treehouse all the very best for tomorrow sending lots of hugs πŸ€— xxx

katie I am 7 weeks post chemo which is still early days but some days my legs feel like I have walked up a 100 steps, it's not every day but a few times a week 

Rosie65

All the best treehouse. As others have said the sooner you get this done, the sooner your recovery and the sooner we can get you home. Be brave as you always have been this last year. We May warriors are rooting for you every step of the way! xxx

Typing this whilst trying to serve up dinner (boeuf bourguignon) and everyone moaning about where their  dinner is. Honestly, do they not realise how important this is.

Ruth07

Hi Treehouse just popping on the thread to wish you the best of luck for tomorrow πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•
Will be thinking of you β™₯️🌈🌈🏝🏝🏝