1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

May 2017 chemo starters

Andi71

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

Treehouse - Your fear will subside over time lovey and I can understand your anxiety! Do whatever you need to do to put your mind at rest and don’t beat yourself up over it. I’d be just like you πŸ’•
Raitchr

Well done Andi, excellent news. Treehouse, hope the ❀ is behaving?

Had my PIP home assessment, happy to share info privately if anyone wants info, report will go to DWP to make decision.

H

treehouse

Andi , Shi I’m doing ok. Sitting here making a chart of heart rate. Seems to be back in normal range.
My hyperchondria is easily triggered!
Will the fear ever go away?
Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Andi fantastic new πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘really pleased for you 😘😘😘treehouse hope you are ok πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Andi71

So my pathology report was good πŸ˜ƒ
The chemo had significantly reduced the tumour and surgery found that the cancer had remained completely within the tumour and hadn’t spread to local tissue. Surgery removed all trace of cancer so I am now cancer free!! I feel emotionally drained but happy.
I now start Tamoxifen in one week. Will take for 5 yrs then have a review for the following 5 years all based on menopause status. I get an annual mammogram for the next 5 years, then at 7 and 10yrs.
Still have to go to hospital every 3 weeks for Herceptin jabs till I’ve done a year.
Thank you so much for my well wishes, you are all amazing and continue to be so supportive, genuinely couldn’t have got through it without you. Special thanks goes to Jay for finding me lurking on another forum and brought me over to May Starters! Thank you Jay πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’• xxx
Andi71

Treehouse - How are you doing now? Have you made the call and how’s your heart rate? xx
Andi71

Rosie - It’s just so sad that so many family members get affected by having this gene. Your sister and nieces have you to help spur them on with whatever lay ahead for them. You’ll encourage them and keep them strong because you e been there πŸ’•
Enjoy the gym!! xx
Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Treehouse hope your heart rates calmed down and you are ok 😘😘rosie and treehouse the gene runs in my family too but luckily my test was neg and I’ve got no children. Wishing good results for your family members πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
treehouse

Thinking of you today Andi 🀞
Rosie good to hear from you. I too have the gene. Sister is negative and brother has yet to be tested. It’s a strang feeling but meant I could make some big decisions about preventative surgery and that gives me peace of mind.

Woke up with high heart rate today so paranoia has kicked in big time. Am monitoring and may make a call 😟
Rosie65

Andi - all the best today with results, will be thinking of you. Hope you got a good night’s sleep. 

Thanks for the tip about the DIEP Facebook page, I’ll take a look. 

My sister is booked in to have it done in May, think she’s a bit worried, must be strange to make that decision when you don’t have bc but will be worth it.  My niece has her consultation in Feb for preventative mastectomies. My other niece is waiting for her results and my son has appointment for tests as well. It’s overwhelming at times to think we have this gene in the family.

You all sound as if you are doing well with the steps, very impressive. Am off to the gym now, I had a session with a PT yesterday and have a programme of exercises to help get my strength back. Making the most of this week before I go back to work.

buddyfan

Wolfee, amitriptyline is also an antidepressant. I used to take it at very low dose 10mg-20mg to help with neuropathic pain, not related to bc.
Andi71

Rosie - Thought you may be interested in a Facebook site for women who’ve had DIEP reconstruction.  It’s a closed group called DIEP Reconstruction UK.  It started a year ago and plenty of ladies on it, just in case you’ve any questions etc πŸ˜ƒ I’m amazed at how many women have had this op and so blooming young too.

Hope your well xx

Andi71

Heather - not surprised you feel shattered doing full hours today.  You’ll have to crawl into bed earlier tonight so you don’t burn yourself out this week. I was tempted to try Benadryl but thought I’d try whole hog as I don’t need to be up early.  Will take the zopiclone 30 mins before bed and see how I get on. xx

Andi71

Misyangel - πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’• thanks lovey, hope your doing ok xx

Andi71

Jay - pretty nervous about tomorrow, but like a lot that’s happened so far, it’s out of my hands.  Taking a sleeping tablet tonight πŸ˜ƒ xx

Andi71

Treehouse - πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’• thanks for the reassurance on the heart scan. It’s still so blooming sore where the breast is trying to settle.  The tissue used is sitting quite high up and gravity is trying to do its thing 😬

Andi71

Daffodil - πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’• Thank you lady!  Great to hear your enjoying your exercise.  Can’t wait to get started myself xx

Andi71

Shi - πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’• thanks lovey .... will post how it goes 🀞🏼 xxxx

Raitchr

Feling worn out tonight. Longest time at work today, back up to 100% of hours less 1 hr annual leave. Had to take a 30 min lunch break, that is the rule if you work x amount hrs a day. Could have done with skipping lunch break and coming home earlier. Having to go in late on Weds as have to stay late to attend department meeting. Had staff survey at end of year and results were poor re moral, pay and worth etc so got to discuss it. Will have to sit through 1.5 hrs of being talked at, beats doing work I suppose!!

Raitchr

Sleeping meds - I was prescribed Zopiclone during chemo, only had a few, didnt notice too much difference. Except when I took it too early before bed and felt weird, spaced out! Have been told to try hay fever meds like Benadryl if it says drowsy on it. Also I have only taken meds on Fri or Sat nights as I have to get up at 6.30am weekdays so I just wait until the weekend.

misyangel

Fairydusty my nails we very sore and I struggled to file them I literally had to hold the nail whilst I filed it and they looked like I had a fungus infection then 2 months after finishing chemo they all broke off to where the fungus looking nail stopped which was right down the bed.  I painted mine black and put oil on very night but nothing could save them.  I had no new nail underneath so am still wating for them to grow up as I am desperate to paint them again. 

Andi good luck for tomorrow

Daffoldil great to hear that you are getting fit and have lots planned and moving on after treatment.

Jay68
Community Champion

Daffodil - good for you my lovely. Enjoy all the free time and catching up with all the things that had to be "put off" last year. x
Jay68
Community Champion

Good luck for your results tomorrow Andi. I'm sure the echo will be fine x
treehouse

Good luck tomorrow Andi. Try not to worry about heart scan. I had one days after surgery and they are very careful. Just remind them of your surgery and they will Work around the area if need. I had to stop to fidget position too. It will be fine x x x
Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Andi 😘😘😘😘β™₯️β™₯️β™₯οΈπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘for tomorrow darling πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Daffodil54

Andi, hope all good tomorrow.

Jay, I am not back at work, officially on leave for another 3weeks. Then, resigned due to move. I am waiting to hear about part time work locally. Busy trying to get fit by going to gym, Pilates and yoga classes. Feeling good.

It is good to move on and away from treatments!

We have a few trips booked too after having to cancel last year. And lots of visitors in the summer!

Have a good day everyone. 

Andi71

I’ve got meeting with Breast surgeon tomorrow for results, then on Weds I have oncology appointment.

Echocardiogram is booked for 23rd Feb. Hopefully my Breast won’t be tender by then as otherwise it could be painful 😬
Andi71

Daffodil- how lovely the have 6 months of freedom from any appointments!!! Enjoy!
Andi71

WolfEE - How is your sleep without taking your sleeping tablets? I’ve got Zopiclone. Do you think your anti depressant are doing a good enough job that you sleep ok? My pharmacist friend said for me to take everything on offer to help me until such a time that I feel ok to stop.
I don’t have a Fitbit but managed to walk up and down our lane today with James.
Jay68
Community Champion

Well done Daffodil - that's another step further along and pleased to hear all is going well.

I have app with Onc on 13 February.  Herceptin update and post rads check up.  

Are you back to work yet?

WolfEE

I take the antidepressant and it has helped a lot
WolfEE

Andi, I was given amitriptyline for sleeping (haven’t actually taken) also antidepressant called venlafaxine
Daffodil54

I had my 6 week post rad appointment. All good and no need to go back until a reconstruction consultation in 6 months time and annual mammogram.

I forgot to ask about insomnia and night leg cramps. 

But relieved that all seems to be okay.

Fairy Dust, I am sorry to say that I lost all my nails, but as they lifted due to newer growth underneath, they are slowly growing and hardening. Good luck.

Trisha69

Zopiclone yes they can help
Andi71

Finally conceded and have a prescription for sleeping tablets 😴 I’ve never used them before but I’m looking forward to getting some sleep!!! Is anyone else on them?

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks very much lovely May ladies for advising fairydust πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Fairydust 14

Thanks for replies Raitchr, Jay68, Treehouse. Much appreciated. Yea, my nails are past saving. I'm going to give it time, massage with nail oil and use gloves for the dishes. They're so sensitive right now I can't even file them to make them even and am dreading putting nail polish remover to remove the bits of nail polish still on them. I would get a friend to do my nails  during chemo tomorrow, but don't want to infiltrate the chemo bay at hospital with the smell of nail polish remover. However, you've been a great help. Sorry your nails are only getting better 4 months after treatments ended Tree house! I suffer with losing my nails and have terrible looking hands more than I cared about losing all my hair...

Fairydust x

treehouse

Fairy dust sorry to hear your nails are not great. Mine got definite ridges after each cycle and felt a bit loose at the nail bed. It was only after the treatment finished that they discoloured and started lifting from the tips. I used cnd solar oil and dark polish and cut them short. They are back to normal now 4 months after treatment finished. Sorry I cant be more help.
Wow H good going on the steps. I managed 3000 today which is my record so far. πŸ˜‚
Jay68
Community Champion

Hi Fairydust - Must say my finger nails were all perfect whilst on the chemo - becoming brittle and splitting and breaking off low 3/4 months after chemo finished!

The biggest tip I can pass on is to keep the length short. I didn't and I think that's why mine became vulnerable.

Good luck x
Jay68
Community Champion

My goodness I'm sure if I'd had been wearing a fit bit for the past two days it would have blown up!  - Up and down stairs - miles of pavements and museums!  

My epsom salt bath was deinitely needed tonight!!  I've realised (and so have hubby and son) that my fitness levels are no-where near as good as they once were!  It could be turning 50 alongside everything else now!!

Raitchr

Fitbit buddies, I have done 9,198 steps and walked 5.8km today 🚢🚢🚢🚢🚢🚢

Raitchr

Hi Fairydust. Not sure I can offer much help with nails. Mine were ok except had lines on them. I used Nail serum several times a day to protect them. Didnt loose any nails. I was a bit obsessed, wore woolly gloves outside in the middle of summer only when sat in the garden. You could try wearing gloves to protect them I have seen white moisturizing gloves in Savers. Maybe your nails are past saving and just leave them as this is your last chemo. I would just keep them short and see what happens.

Hope others can offer advise.

H

Fairydust 14

Hello. I'm from the October chemo thread. Lovely Shi has suggested I come to you May ladies for advice. I am on docetaxol and wondered if anyone suffered with their fingernails? Mine are so fragile they've broken right off right down to the nail bed..really sensitive to the touch too. I painted them with dark nail polish for my last chemo, but they are still dark underneath the nail polish ...look the worst my nails have ever looked, but then I've never really had long glamorous nails but even so...they're really terrible now. Any advice as to how I can protect them? I have my last chemo tomorrow. Fairydust x Ps: You guys are amazing, still looking out for each other and offering support and advice. That's just wonderful!
Andi71

WolfEE - loving your fitness goals!!! πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

Andi71

Hi Treehouse,

On Tuesday it’ll be 3 weeks since my operation.  Still sore Breast and tummy. But can wriggle about a bit easier in bed πŸ˜ƒ the tummy is the worst.  Can’t wait to feel healthy again, gosh it’s such a marathon to get to the end πŸ˜…

The bit about the Fitbit made me chuckle xx

Andi71

Shi - thanks lovey πŸ’• I managed to drift off to sleep for 4 hours πŸ˜ƒ had breakfast etc, swallowing is painful.  Roll on the next few days.  At least my throat infection is making me stop thinking about everything else.

you and the October ladies are very busy with everything going on.  Sending you all best wishes! xx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi treehouse, because of all the water I’ve been drinking during chemo I’m up every couple of hours having a pee, since that uti on round 1 I’ve been πŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺabout drinkIng water to keep things flushing through, then slapping sudocream round everywhere after wiping with a baby wipe too .... I’m not the only one on the Oct πŸš‚ we’ve all been hovering over casa nhs loos when we’ve need to go when we are there too 😁😁😁the girls are πŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›Žagain this week, we got some more safely back on board last week and 🀞🀞last 2 should be valentines week, some of us are heading to 😎😎rads Sunbed’s in Feb and some will be having ops before rads, thanks again mai and May ladies for being πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺand looking after us on Oct πŸš‚βœ¨πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
treehouse

Oh Andi that sounds horrible. Sorry you had to wait so long but glad dr finally go to you for antibiotics. How long are you post surgery.
Shi what’s with your early morning?

I too have a Fitbit (no I stole my sons.) I only use it to keep an eye on my heart rate. It is surprisingly accurate. I checked it in hospital several times lol πŸ˜‚
WolfEE

Heather. We can become Fitbit friends and help each other we can do tasks together on the app that allows us to see eachother and compete!!! Although at the moment I’m struggling 3000 steps per day. Next week I’m setting myself a goal of 5000 steps on work days and 8000 weekends. (When the evenings become light maybe I’ll be able to do the 10k??)
Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Andi 😘😘😘blooming heck lovely what a 🀨🀨🀨glad your dr finally got out and you have tablets, try and rest as much as you can and have you got some honey that you can suck on to soothe throat and act as antiseptic till tablets kick in? It might help. πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx