349657posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

May 2017 chemo starters

Highlighted

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

Mai you are def right about the counselling being good for you im pleased its helping you x
Highlighted

Treehouse hope everything is ok x
Andi pleased you enjoyed your special day Jay your message was lovely but true!!!
Heather im so scared of my return to work but finances demand it i think being off during treatment hasn't been good for my confidence but my role alongside treatment couldn't have been done
Tatanya im so pleased to hear that you have accessed therapy so quick through the GP i don't know why this isn't part of our treatment as the emotions that come after active treatment need addressing at times diagnosis anniversary will bring out alot of pent up stuff i can't wait to start my where now course next week its through my local Maggies but the all do them the bcc course was too far away
Katie fab news re the mammo 😊
Herceptin and hormone drugs i remember at the beginning being angry i couldn't access them after rads and chemo taking for granted that they also cause yoy ladies having them issues too, i suppose all our different cancers bring their own set of hurdles don't they all πŸ’© in the grand scheme of things 😊
Wolfee hope everything is ok for you πŸ’– big virtual hugs x
On a lighter note my granddaughter is just over 4 months and the absolute light of my life the live quite close by so get to see lots of her i feel so happy and grateful for getting over to the other side of treatments when i look at her she's my little Ray of sunshine looking forward to making many more memories with her πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–
Highlighted
Community Champion

Oh Treehouse that really is pants!  What are they testing for now?  x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Sending love to everyone for Valentine's Day. πŸ’–

Katie, I was referred for counselling from radiotherapy as it was my last treatment. Definitely recommend it, I think you just need to pour everything out and have someone make sense of it all and help you get out of the psychological cage you have built. X

WolfEE, oh dear, not a good day for you with surgical malfunction and potentially delayed recon. Sending hugs and hope a good nights sleep will help. Xx

Heather, sending hugs for your cancerversary flashbacks and hope work stress eases off. X

Treehouse, try not to panic, I'm sure it isn't what you'd hoped for as a romantic evening and is the last place you want to be right now. Sending hugs and hope they dont keep you long.  Xx

Andi, happy birthday and I hope you've had a lovely day. You deserve the best. Xx

Jay, so what happens after a year of Herceptin injections? Do you go onto Herceptin pills or is that it?  Hope your ticket is alright. Sending hugs. Xx

Highlighted

Valentines night in A&E
Whoop whoop. Dr sent me for more tests.
Grrr
Highlighted

Katie,

So chuffed to hear your mammogram is all good!! Such a relief!!  I totally get your feelings of trepidation being sat in that waiting room waiting for the moment to go in again.  I felt like that whilst I was waiting to see my surgeon to get my post op results.  I felt really bad for the women around me who were potentially at the beginning of their own nightmare.  It was pretty obvious to them that I was a cancer patient who hair was regrowing back.  Seeing me must have been terrible for them.

i think we could all do with counselling.  What we’ve been through is life changing.  I have so many emotional triggers that set me off.  There’s a course near me that starts in April, so I’m going to try and get on it.

Periods - mine stopped after 2nd chemo.  Oncologist said that they can restart up again 3/4 months after last chemo, so I’m waiting to see if anything happens next month.

thank you for birthday wishes πŸ’• xx

Highlighted

Jay,

This whole Herceptin thing is bloody scary.  I’m glad they’ve sorted you out with meds.  Oddly enough my last heart scan was 65 too.  I’ve got my next one on 23rd Feb, so we can exchange notes!! 

Glad you managed to distract yourself with lunch out and try if you can not to overthink over the next couple of weeks xx

Highlighted

Katie, congrats on the mammogram, another hurdle successfully jumped!
I had my first counseling session today, I have six sessions lined up through my GP, first one was emotional but constructive, I really like the counselor and she gave me several good things to think about. Also it seems my hubby is eligible for similar, to help him cope with the anxiety. Everyone should have the opportunity! I think we're really lucky because I only had to wait a couple of weeks after asking the GP.
Highlighted

Andi, happy birthday my dear! Glad you had a good time with the girls, it sounds perfect.

Heather, well done for surviving your one-year cancerversary. What a long way you've come, you're allowed the occasional wobble, I'm sure! Enjoy the rest of half-term week

Treehouse, get that bathroom project going! πŸ›πŸ›€πŸ£πŸ€
Highlighted

Trisha,

Wow half way through Herceptin!! Well done!  It must be nice knowing you’ve broken the back of it πŸ˜ƒ x

Highlighted

Mishy,

Thank you for my happy birthday message, you just can’t beat cake!! 

Lovely to hear that you had a nice time with your granddaughter.  How old is she?  And yes it’d be lovely to have the sunshine again, I know it lifts my mood for one πŸ˜ƒ

Highlighted

Jay,

You have left me feeling really emotional after reading my birthday card.  Such lovely words, thank you πŸ’•

I have to say that all these words are mirrored right back at you lovey, so very thoughtful!

The cinema was good, the girls enjoyed themselves and that’s what counts at the end of the day.  Filled ourselves with popcorn and slushy drinks etc, did some shopping and back home now waiting for James to appear.

Have a lovely evening xx

Highlighted

Happy Birthday Andi x

Oh wolfee big hugs ! Hoping today has been a better day , stay positive x
Highlighted

Whytefawn, I had to have the fluid drained twice as it wasn't receding. The first time the surgeon did it and was very careful about keeping the process very sterile covering me in iodine, so no infection. Second time was a little less meticulous as I had to go in via a&e, so got an infection and needed antibiotics afterwards. So infection is a concern, but the seroma needed to be drained. Keep an eye on it as I left it a bit too long and now have some skin puckering I didn't have post surgery. 

Highlighted

So the night before last I was laying in bed and I woke up feeling a strange pain in by not boob. This was weird in itself because ive had no feeling there since the op. when i touched it there was a shap object almost poking out of my skin making the sking look white from the pressure of it. Luckly I had a hospital appointmet yesterday so I was able to show the oncologist. she sent me around to the breast unit for a doctor to have a look. I think something on my temp tissue expander has or could have broken so now i have to wait for a call for a scan so they can look properly. i have to keep an eye on my temp again for signes of any infection as the skin was feeling warm also. if it is broken it will mean a small op to have it removed / replaced etc etc and it will damage the skin and delay my reconstruction further. i had been so happy the last few weeks not having appointmets and feeling a bit human again this is a massive blow mentaly.
I was also worried the Tamoxafen wasnt working because of not having any side affects (cant please me hahaha) oncologist just said that i am taking them each day, im doing all i can. they will be working or not working its out of my control so dont think about it just take them and only time will tell. i left the room with my sharp book and cried and cried and cried. I had to go to the canteen have a coffee before I went into the breast unit for my check on sharp thing. then i had to go to tescos on the way home pharmacy and there was a road closure i took a short cut got lost and again pulled over and just cried and cried.
Highlighted

Happy birthday Andi have a lovely time with your girls https://media.giphy.com/media/IQF90tVlBIByw/200.gif
Highlighted
Community Champion

To Andi - Happy Birthday - a special message from me to you - enjoy your very special day... x Image result for happy birthday to someone special

Highlighted
Community Champion

Heartand Valentine wishes to you too Mishy - enjoy the romance! x Heart

Highlighted

Happy valentines ladies πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–
Highlighted

My attitude to work has changed, I dont want to be there. I feel like I am not giving work 100% and got giving my family 100% I want to be at home and sort out the house and more importantly spend time with the boys. I am stuck at work as husband is self employed and struggling for work. So I feel I owe it to my family to earn the money. But I feel my health is more important so I am stuck at the mo. Husband has applied for 5 jobs, heard nothing from anything, so frustrating.

H

Highlighted

Cassie I had double mastectomy with implants. I had drains for 2 days. I do remember sloshy boobs now you mention it. It felt very weird. Surgeon did not seem too worried. I did the first 4 exercises on the sheet very gently and it went on it’s own over a few weeks. Do get it checked by the bcn but try not to worry. X
Highlighted

Hi heather glad you are back with us πŸ€—.
Your half term is a week earlier than ours. Enjoy a rest with the boys. I am sorry to hear work is getting stressful. I think all you workers are amazing. I am only just managing non family visitors the last couple of weeks. Office politics and targets etc would just seem so irrelevant.
Do you find your attitude to work has changed or do you slip back into the old groove?
I hope you find your sparkle this week Heather sending hugs x x x
Highlighted

Whytefawn, my BC nurse told me to hug  my heart shaped cushion on Mx side and flaps arms like a chicken. This helps to move the fluid through lymph system and drain it. It did work for me for a while but I did have it drained at 2 week check up post surgery. It didnt come back after that. I didnt have a drain in surgery as my surgeon didnt do them if cup size was A or B. Wish he had just put a drain in anyway as was uncomfortable for 2 weeks. I did also find it helped to not use my arm apart from doing the exercises and flapping!

H

Highlighted

Dr just phoned to say results aren’t in and to come in at 5.
So I got up early oh well.
On the plus side the plumber is coming today to start work on our bathroom πŸš½πŸšΏπŸ›€πŸ”¨πŸ”§πŸ”©πŸš°
We have had the bath etc in out garage for over a year as we bought it on the sale last January. Then I found a lump and the whole thing went πŸ’©. Priorities changed.
Time to get back on track!!! ( even if it is a bumpy one)
Highlighted

Glad the mammogram went well Katie πŸ’ͺπŸ»πŸ‘ understandably the emotions get complicated. Places, dates, even people can trigger a reaction.
I find it astonishing that we aren’t offered councilling as a routine.
I saw my gp yesterday ( she is fantastic!)
And she said I want you to have a blood test now to rule out a blood clot on you lung.
I just looked at her and said β€˜ I really don’t need anything else!’
She just agreed with me. That was negative thank god so she did more tests!!!
Going back this morning for results .

Highlighted

Happy Valentines Day lovely ladies xx

Mammogram went well after long wait as system was down! All clear thank goodness such a relief. Think i will look into counselling mai. Don't think you realise how much it has affected you until it hits you in the face! Mainly was flash backs and sitting in that waiting room exactly a year ago was too much. We're you referred by GP or breast care nurse?

Jay, meant to say I hadn't had any periods since July and had my first one again last week!

Sounds like you had a nice relaxing day yesterday Mai x

Heather enjoy half term with your boys . It is nice to lie in. We are off bowling today! X

Cassie, ring your Breast care nurse? I know some people have had it drained? May make you more comfortable?

How did you get on wolfee?

Enjoy your day ladies xx
Highlighted

Hi ladies. Thank you for your replies. No i never had a drain in. The fluid is under my arm and across where my boob use to be. They'd rather not drain it due to risk of infection and the fact it'll just come back anyway but it's getting quite uncomfortable. I was busy at the weekend and it seemed to help and the fluid was under control. Whilst I've been working at home these last couple of days I've been sat at my computer and it's built up. It's interesting your recommending not doing much as things I've read suggest better to move.
Thanks
Cassie x
Highlighted

Im on Ramipril for high bp.

Highlighted

I was on ramipril after surgery. I came off it a few weeks ago as it was doing a good job of dropping my blood pressure. Too good in the end as I was having dizzy spells. That’s probably why you need regular blood pressure checks. If it protects your heart while you have the herceptin do it. Some times when the heart is damaged it needs a bit of help while it repairs. I hope that is the case for me again tomorrow. I am/ was also on Bisoprolol ( a beta blocker).
Highlighted

Hi ladies. Sorry I've been AWOL for a few days. Work got too much for me and I was stressed. Also it was my 1 year cancer-versary last week. Its just been overwhelming. Enjoying half term with the boys, sleeping better as no 6.30 alarm. 

H

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Treehouse - they are called Ramipril. Only 1.25mg and once a day. I'm just hoping they work. I asked if there was anything else I could do; ie eat healthier or exercise more - "no" was the reply! I asked if there were any signs I should have noticed - again "no - just a slight shortness of breath when you go walking perhaps". She said 54% is not bad and nothing to worry about, but they don't really want it dropping too much more. Indeed I do look after it. Apparently, it is just the herceptin which has caused this to happen and after herceptin is finished the heart will repair and return to health.
Highlighted

What pills you on jay? I am trying to get back on mine but GP doing another bunch of tests first. Look after your heart you miss it when it’s f***ed!
😜
Highlighted
Community Champion

So I had onc appointment today!  After asking how I was and how I was coping with herceptin - to which I replied I'm feeling well (achey and a bit tired but otherwise good).  She then went on to say looking at the result of my heart scan which is now down to 54% (Jan) and the fact it was 65% last time (Oct) - she thinks I need a heart pill!  It's a low dose one, I've got to go and have blood pressure taken once a week for next 2 weeks and keep a record of reading.  My next herceptin is booked for 1 March but before that date she wants me to have another heart scan!  I do, however, wonder whether she was a little confused on dates as when I asked her to confirm when my herceptin is due to finish she answered, "September - you started September so you do a year and will finish September" - I reminded her at that point that I started in June when I was having it IV with chemo - "oh yes she replied, in that case you will finish in June" - I've just been laying in the bath and thinking about it all - I wonder if I'd be on this pill etc if she'd realised I've been on it since June.....???  Anyway, at least I'm on the medication so no further damage should occur and hopefully it will improve and not delay my next herceptin injection!  I'm really aiming on June being my completion month!

We came out and hubby said to me, "and everybody thinks - you're all done - treatment over - little do they realise it's really not the case is it?!"  Indeed it's not!  

Went for a lovely lunch after to take our minds of it all........!

So now I've got 2/3 weeks of thinking about and dealing with my ticker!!  I'm almost venturing into your club Treehouse!! x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Mai, I spoke with onc today about menopause. Her reply was you're probably in it now! I said I haven't had any period since June and she said she's almost sure that means I'm there - she said there is a blood test I could have to confirm but really was there any point? - I just replied that having been through it all I'd now hate for them to return and have to go through it all again in the future!!! So although our hot flushes etc have been full on - hopefully they were worth it!

The neck and shoulder message sound very relaxing. x
Highlighted
Community Champion

WhyteFawn - Do you still have a drain attached? If not, where is the fluid building up?

Don't go rushing it - take it easy and let your body have time to recoup from major surgery and let your mind have time to come to turn with what's happened. x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Katie - I realised as soon as I looked up in the mirror!!  - I didn't have time to laugh at myself as I was in a dash to get dressed - so had to whip it out and put in the right one!

I can imagine how you're feeling - hope the mammogram went ok.  Thinking of you xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Rosie, glad you are coping well with the new chemo tablets and managing to work too. πŸ’ͺ🏼 Xx

Mishy, sounds like you had fun with your grand daughter, how lovely.  Best wishes for your scan. I won't say don't worry because that's inevitable! Xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Jay, there you were this morning trying to make a mountain out of a molehill! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I almost did that yesterday but didnt get as far as putting the bra on.  I haven't had a period since chemo no.2, hoping that's it. I find the whole menopause thing very confusing.  Xx

Katie, sending hugs. Just look how far you've come.  Is your anxiety related to flashbacks? Are you having counselling? Xx

Had my first complimentary therapy today, aromatherapy neck and shoulder massage. It was lovely.  When I arrived home I did a pencil drawing for my daughter ready for her birthday. 

Highlighted
Community Champion

WhyteFawn, do you still have your drain bottle on?  I think if you just try to do as little as possible it helps. Don't put too much effort into your Physio exercises, just do the movements without pulling on your surgery area.  Drink plenty of water and eat healthy.  Have you discussed this with your great unit or district nurse. If it's bad they may want to drain it again. Xx

Highlighted

Hi ladies.
Jay your story made me laugh. Until I realised that might be me very soon!
I'm almost a week after my mastectomy and the fluid build up is quite annoying. Is there anything at all you can do to help get rid of it quicker. I'm sick of it sloshing around all the time.
Cassie x
Highlighted

Hope everyone got on ok with the hospital appointments.

Jay - ha ha can just imagine your face when you realised you were a bit one sided. Mine are a bit like that anyway, despite plastic surgeon saying I would go down a cup size, I’ve actually gone up to a 36D, probably why they ran out of material  and I ended up with a much smaller implant  in the other sideπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Will have to wait until after tablets have finished before I can get it sorted, not really a priority though

Katie - I should be finished in July depending on how many cycles I have, either 6 or 8. The trial didn’t really show much difference in outcome between 6 or 8,  so will depend on how well I tolerate it, I think.

Highlighted

Ha ha Jay at what point did you notice you only had one boob!!!

Glad to hear you are doing well Rosie. How long will you be on those drugs for?

Struggling this morning. Anniversary day and mammogram this afternoon. Can't believe it's been a year since diagnosis. Feeling very anxious and emotional! !! X

Good luck today Jay and Wolfee too xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Funny little story ladies to share - in the hurry of getting dressed the other day - I put my prosthetic boob in my bra pocket and then put bra on - only to discover i'd put it the wrong side..... - how hillarious - one massive boob!!  

A quick question, how many of you have had the monthly visitor return since completing chemo?  I haven't had one since last June - I think it was after 2nd EC.  It's a question on my list for the onc tomorrow - asking if there's a test I can take to see if I'm menopausal (temporary or permenant).  I think I was perimenopausal before all this this - I was having long gaps between periods and that's how I discovered my lump - as my breasts were becoming so painful. x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Rosie - that's good news - let's hope it continues being kind to you.  Funnily enough when I left the hospital on Thursday I bumped into an old school friend, I don't see her very often but are in communications through facebook - so it was lovely to see her anyhow, she suffers with chrons disease and or colitis and she was saying she takes a chemo drug for that when she gets a flare up.  

Oh yes I've just recently returned to my ginger and lemon tea - really liking it and I always have peppermint tea with my evening meal.

I suppose I'll have a mammogram of just one boob from now on!

x

Highlighted

Jay- so far so good on the Cape tablets, I am feeling tired but not sure if that’s the tablets or being back at work. My sister who is a nurse also said that Cape is prescribed for other medical conditions not just cancer.

Andi - I’m also a big fan of ginger tea, am starting to prefer that and peppermint tea to normal tea.

Mai - a neck and shoulder massage sounds lovely, I could definitely do with that.

WolEE -I know what you mean about scans, you want a check up but it brings back all the memories from last year

Good luck Katie with your first mammogram. I’m like you treehouse , no more mammograms now!

Mishy - good to hear from you, glad to hear your little granddaughter is doing so well.

Highlighted

Sorry typo was meant to say know x
Highlighted

Knowledge how you all feeling re scans i have a bone scan next Tues and feeling the same as you described Mai 😨😨😨 want it but don't!!!
Had a lovely day with Grandaughter at tge Park today feeding the ducks her little eyes were everywhere πŸ’–
Hoping for some more sunshine this week really cheered me up today x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Yo WolfEE! πŸ™‹πŸ» I know how you feel about beng scanned, you want it and don't want it in equal and opposing measures!  Whilst you want confirmation that all is well to settle your anxiety, you don't want then to find anything which disturbs your anxiety but you also do so they can nip anything in the bud.  So many emotions. I was like that with the recent bone scan. Couldn't sleep all week until after results! This is something we have to live with though I dot think it's something we overcome. Scanxiety.  I hope you and Andi are looking forward to your hair appointments. How exciting! πŸ’‡πŸΌ πŸ’πŸΌX 

Andi, i can't remember what was on this list now but I can decide when I get there. I know there was neck and shoulder massage and reflexology.  My neck and shoulders are still stiff from the car accident a year ago so that seems llike a good place to start! πŸ’†πŸΌ X

Highlighted

Herceptin.... My 9th of 18 tomorrow. Finished chemo in September and Rads 8th Jan and still permanenrly knackered 😞 x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Rosie - how are you feeling on the cape tablets? x