339280posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

May 2017 chemo starters

Community Champion

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

Thanks for that Buddyfan - on checking I've got half moons on my thumbs and index finger nails only!  When I googled(!) - it also mentions a weak thyroid and funnily enough the onc mentioned this when I saw her a couple of weeks ago.  She said I was at the prime age for thyroid problems and once herceptin is over I should go to GP to have it tested!  Sounds as though that's my next problem to get sorted!

In the meantime, I'm going to eat more brazil nuts and salmon!  

I'm feeling much better today - so hopefully the bugs are back at bay!  

Enjoyed a good old boogie out tonight with my hubby at local Theatre - it was fun! x

Just had phone appointment with gp. Signed off til May. I think that might be my last sick note 🀞.
Time to start thinking about getting my life back.
Let’s hope there are no more bumps in the road.
This weeble is fed up of wobbling 😜

Katie, your sons birthday plans sounds great, glad you all had a good time. Yes was snowed in but with the help of neighbours we helped each other dig out! Lots of sledging done! Hoping to get our train into London tomorrow as planned 😬 Just need the freezing rain to keep away, otherwise our weekend plans will go t*ts up!!

Hi Jay, sorry to hear you’ve been hit by more bugsπŸ› . Like you I’m on Herceptin but I think overall my health has been good. Everyone around me had colds and viruses and I had a single throat infection. My antibiotics gave me oral thrush (but anyone can get it after antibiotics) and I needed a 2 week course to get rid of it. Touch wood I’ve been ok. I think because you work in a school your more susceptible than most for picking stuff up. All you can do is keep washing those hands! πŸ˜‚ When I’m in town etc I never use hand rails on escalators etc and wear my gloves πŸ˜‚

Jay, re immunity, have you got half-moons on your fingers/thumbs? During chemo treatment I noticed the huge half-moons on OH hands, I had none, which figures as it was during chemo. After looking it up, lack of half-moons shows lack of immunity. Month and half after last chemo and I now have half-moons on thumbs and four fingers. There was also something about iodine deficiency as well. Iodine deficiency has been linked to breast cancer. I wondered if any of you have been tested for iodine deficiency. Snuggle up and hunker down to get over your bugs.πŸ€—πŸ€—

Treehouse, what a heroine, well done for all that walking. πŸ±β€πŸ

Wow treehouse, that has gone so fast. You are doing amazing!

Jay, I'm thinking our immune system has been wiped out and we need to rebuild it like a baby does. It reminds me of when my boys first went to nursery and seemed to catch everything and nothing. Hopefully we will get there and build some resilience along the way. Enjoy your night out. Xx

I've signed up for the link Mai . Hopefully it will get the attention it deserves.

Boys have gone back into school today. Snow still here and wind is horrendous. Not a good day for wig wearers lol xx

Big hugs Jay.
Glad you have a night out with hubby, going anywhere nice. Oh my word your son is camping ⛺️ β„οΈπŸ˜¬!!!!

You sound like you will be getting plenty of exercise around the house. I still walk about 3km every evening after dinner and we love it even in the snow ❄️.
I am still not allowed to iron or hoover for another week (πŸ˜‚πŸ‘)or so until sternum full healed. Can’t believe it’s almost 12 weeks since op. !!
Didn’t imagine getting this far.
Community Champion

Hi Treehouse and thanks very much for your reassuring reply.  

After watching the very interesting video, it all makes sense as to why my immune system is under pressure!  Therefore susceptible any bugs going around!  I'm going to be more considerate to myself from this point forward!

I am eating healthy (most of the time) but my exercise levels are not so great, 1. because I don't have the energy or 2. the time!  I must therefore make the most of the times when I can starting from now (well 5 minutes time) - as today I feel very energised!  I'm off to do lots of housework, ironing before going to work, then I aim to take dog out for a brisk walk.  Will return to have a small soak in the bath as hubby and I are off out tonight - our teenage boy is off to Scout Camp for the weekend..... brrrrrr!!!!

Thanks again, Treehouse it's those reassuring words I needed to hear.  

Love to all and happy Friday xx

Hi Jay completely understand your fear of bugs and worry about immune system. But I think we become over aware. My family have had more bugs than me and I keep well away from them when they are ill. I so far have had a mild cold. I think if you are out in the community you are going to pick things up. Some are pretty nasty. My folks have had a flu/ chest infection thing lingering for almost 4 weeks now. They also got a sickness bug over Christmas. My step daughter had shingles and son had cold.
Try not to worry it’s not just you. And as you said pesky kids are full of πŸ› 😜.

Healthy eating is all I can think of . Just watched a very interesting video on how herceptin works ( lots of big science words)

If you are interested http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/targeted_therapies/herceptin/how_works
Community Champion

Ladies, Is anyone else suffering with their immunity (lack of)?  I know I work with children who are full of germs but really....  had a mild cold end January - took a while to shake off but during half term is went completely - back at work for a week - got another which wiped me out last weekend - feel whole lot better again now apart from blinking congestion which takes ages for me to get rid of, as I generally suffer with my sinuses - any tips greatly appreciated.  Also, any recommendations for tonic or immunity boosting foods/drinks would be really appreciated.

I was speaking with my chemo buddy today when I went for herceptin - she agreed she's the same - not sure whether it's herceptin which is doing it or the past year of immunity destroying treatment?!

Community Champion

Please everyone share this thread far and wide:

I thought you might be interested in a campaign that I've just taken part in to end the postcode lottery for breast cancer.

Breast cancer patients in England are facing stark differences in their diagnosis, treatment and care, simply because of where they live.

Breast Cancer Now urgently need our help to fix this situation and are asking people to email their MPs and ask them to take action - It’s really easy to take part and only takes a minute – you can get involved here http://bit.ly/2oiNsGV
Breast cancer affects one in eight women at some point in their lifetime, so it’s vital that they receive the best treatment and care, no matter where they live.

Highlighted

Hope all doing well ladies and keeping safe in the snow! Had busy week as was my eldest sons 9th birthday yesterday. We actually made the journey to London for the spurs v rochdale replay for his birthday. So thankfully today school was cancelled because of snow so all had chilled day after yesterday! Tomorrow is world book day if school opens again? Anyone else snowed in?

Glad your injection went ahead Jay. Nearly there with them.

Good news mishy! Xx
Community Champion

Treehouse - heart scan showed heart back to 59% so was able to go ahead with herceptin injection number 13 - just 5 more to go now....!  

My next injection is booked for 22 March - I asked whether I'd need another echo before and the nurse said no - my next routine echo is 3 April.

In meantime, I've received copy letter from onc to gp - explaining the situation and asking my GP to keep an eye on me now and re-do prescription when drugs run out  - so that's reassuring - another pair of eyes looking out for me!  

Hope your injection went OK today Andi? x

Jay good luck. I am staying put today. Nurse just phoned to cancel.
Community Champion

Hooray!  Having not heard to the contrary, I'm off for herceptin injection tomorrow - 13/18, so just 5 more after this one - please continue to behave heart and let me finish this lot off! xx

Itvwas strange but also kind of exciting haha sounded a bit like the sky was going to fall in it happened a few times i hope we have snow lightning that will be exciting like the battle scene with the white walkers and drogan in last episode of Game of thrones 😎

Ooh Mishy, they mentioned that on the weather forecast. It is supposed to sound really weird.
Snow has a magical effect on sound. πŸ‘πŸ˜β„οΈ

Didn't know it was possible but today we have had thunder and snow in Newcastle how strange is that!!! I cannot remember snow as bad as this in a long time but it looks lovely

Eeh my typos are terrible πŸ€” the Beast from the East meanwhile is wreaking havoc up my neck of the woods ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Hi Jay yeah i had WLE and 6 nodes removed my lymph was involved only 1 but it was big 19mm of aggressive cancer cells he explained the were a colony rather than a nee tumor but was surprised and happy the had remained contained as due to size of swollen lymph they can sometimes burst out of lymph walls and invade other tissue there had been some vascular involvement too, i had never beeen given my staging results till today when first diagnosed i was told early bc!! So to find out i was stage 2 was a bit 😨 but again he was really happy with my prognosis he said tgey don't like to go on stats but my mdt team are very optimistic about my prognosis si i will take tgat and stop living in constant recurrence dread 😊
Community Champion

Great news Mishy - a good reason to do a spot of celebrating - grab it!

What surgery did you have?  and did you have any lymph involvement?

Lots of love x

Wonderful news Mishy πŸ°πŸ’ƒπŸΈπŸΎπŸ₯‚
You must celebrate πŸŽ‰
Every opportunity to celebrate must be taken from now on x x x x

What a difference a day makes 24 little hours 🎢 how true had my bc surgeon app today really pleased with me had some reassuring stats today 80% cured /no recurrence chance not bad for someone who was stage 2 grade 3 I'll def go with that they are really happy with my breast had exam and they said although a little lympodema fluid in breast none in arem so not concerned about it just have to look out for swollen hand told me to go and enjoy my life and celebrate that i am one of the success stories whoop whoop πŸ˜πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ˜ ive been so caught up with the negatives i forgot almost about the positives only thing i need to think about is now they have decided to write off to genetics for some extra ins because of my dad again though highly unlikely to have gene πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’– much love to all of us

Interesting article Mai. Treehouse I don’t think if you have inherited a dodgy gene that you can blame yourself for getting bc. Well that’s what I tell myself anyway.

Your reminiscing has reminded me of the time I opened the door spaced out from chemo and wigless thinking it was my daughter and it was a double glazing salesman. The look on his face was priceless, I’ve never got rid of a cold caller so quicklyπŸ˜‚

Mai fabulous article loved reading that and going to order the book she recommends at the end

Letter just arrived I have PIP assessment at home on 12th March 😦

Mishy you can still work and get pip as it is not means tested 

I remember the cheese yes it was me . I have no idea if I ate it tho. My memory is rubbish!!
Community Champion

I'm curious now Treehouse, was it you who found the soft cheese? and did you ever get round to eating it?

When my wig fell to the floor, hubby quickly scooped it up, sat with it on his knee stroking it like a cat! haha! Was so funny!

Yes, come on ladies let's have a reminder of the crazy days! x

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Oh you have a good memory.
Keep them coming what other crazy days?
I had a wig malfunction in a changing room and got covered in dust.
Community Champion

Treehouse - but why are the flashbacks always the horrid memories and not more of the funny times? - like Mai losing her wig in the blackberry hedge or you (think it was you) who found the lovely soft french cheese in the outside fridge and how about the lovely lady who dried her wig on the cheese grater in the airing cupboard...! or indeed losing my own wig when I laid down for a ultrasound!! - they're certainly the flashbacks I would prefer!

Keep smiling ladies - we will get there....! x
Community Champion

Mai, I've now read and got hubby to read the article too - very interesting and well worth the read so thank you for sharing.

I was always a very positive person - this whole experience I'm afraid to say has let me feel a little negative at times - I now like to think, I'm perhaps a little more balanced, which could be good(?!) - however, I preferred the "positive me" and it's going to take time to appreciate this new balanced view which has adopted me!

Thanks again, x

Yes to flash backs. Mostly about intensive care or long nights in hospital posting to you guys. 😘😘😘😘😘
Community Champion

Mai - difficult isn't it? - moving forward - I'm happy all the time I'm busy and even when I'm relaxing but suddenly I'll get flashbacks and I start to feel sorry for myself and wondering what will happen next - but WHY? I never used to feel like this! I'm going to have a read of the article and will let you know what I think.

Keep strong lovely and keep smiling! x
Community Champion

Treehouse, well done with your herceptin injection.

This one, if it goes ahead.....will be my 13th lot of herceptin (9th injection).  (5 more to go.......)

The injections as they've built up cause me runny nose, achey legs/joints and fatigue - but these side effects could also be due to the effects they're having on my heart.  Again, we're all different, my chemo buddy is 6 weeks ahead of me - so on her 15th lot of herceptin (11th) injection and apart from "slight cold effects and fatigue" she is absolutely fine - and she's older than me!

We had a little more snow early yesterday evening - which then froze - temperatures around -5 this morning, but currently I'm sitting on the sofa surrounded by beautiful sunshine, hubby beside me (his work place is closed due to weather) and the dog behind me - lovely!  My school is open so work for me at lunchtime!

PIP form now completed, photocopied and in the post!!!  Watch this space....!

Love to all xx

Jay no news is good news 🀞herceptin goes ahead tomorrow. How many have you got left? I am way behind ( only had 3)

Hi Jay x
The injection was fine no bruising or blood and very little stinging.( I think my pain threshold has shifted since this all started)
What side effects should I be expecting? I have woken up aching all over but that might be because I pushed myself to do 10,000 steps yesterday.
Thanks for the article Mai interesting read. I still find it hard to read that we might have brought this on ourselves- maybe I read it wrong!?!?

Have a great day ladies. Any more white stuff?
Community Champion

Hi Treehouse - hope the herceptin injection went OK?!  Fingers crossed mine will be happening Thursday..... 

Work is good but my goodness it tires me - and I only go for 2 hours a day!!!!

x

Fab article Mai thanks here's hoping you can do just that dump tge emotions i mean i need to do the same i def need to get my but in gear 😊
Community Champion

Just popping in to say Hi ladies. Have been a bit quieter lately with being back at work and trying to move my mind forward with everything. Got upset at my complimentary therapy this morning, I think the mental stress of being back at work whilst carrying the burden of my thoughts in the background is wearing me out. Hopefully if I keep dumping these emotions I'll get bored with them and move on.

I found this website which is a really good read and thought it may help you too:
https://ificouldtellyoujustonethingcouk.wordpress.com/2017/09/23/recovering-from-breast-cancer-treat...

Much love. Xxx

Hello lovely may ladies the weather is pants feel sorry for everyone having treatment when its like this it makes it difficult getting to appointments it snowed alot during my rads which can be a worry
My GP has signed me for for another 2 months
due to post treatment fatigue and a flare up of arthritis 😝 however he says if i feel better before he can amend the fit note to return sooner it just gives me a bit more time to get back to feeling better
I feel a bit of a wuss if im honest and hoping to get back sooner if possible although only part time i hope i would like to help my daughter out with child care when she goes back after maternity in July wish i could pack in altogether and watch her full time but can't afford it!!!!
Andi im pleased for you with your decision its the unknown that scares me a real lack of confidence here with me i really need to sort myself out doc agreed that im still a little too fragile atm but could feel great in another few weeks
Still haven't heard from pip yet re outcome of my meeting could i still work when getting it????

We have a plumber in doing our bathrooms. He has almost finished the down stairs loo and has now moved upstairs. I have finally decided to sweep and mop the kitchen and dining room as the building dust is horrendous. That is the most activity I have done since Oct. I am totally knackered. Need to lie down. 😦
We have snow ❄️ and sun 🌞 beautiful combination but not settling.
Herceptin injection at 4:30 .
Hope all workers are doing ok. X
Community Champion

Although it was tough to get through the chemo during some of the hottest summer days last year and rads later in the year, at least I didn't have to consider the "not being able to get there" feelings that ladies today will be experiencing.  

So today, I'm feeling thankful and hoping all the ladies out there today travelling to appointments do so safely x

Fingers crossed 🀞 for a strong heart. Glad you have found some energy ( me too).
The tablets are working, can’t believe something so tiny can have such a massive effect.

It’s blooming cold hereβ„οΈπŸŒ¨ had a mini snow flurry. Will see what tomorrow brings. Anyone else got the white stuff yet?
Community Champion

Thank you Treehouse - all seemed to go smoothly! Apparently onc will receive result tomorrow - unless I hear differently I'm to attend my herceptin injection as arranged for Thursday - fingers now crossed!

Popped into Dr's surgery on way home to do self BP check 138/87 - that's an improvement on Friday! Hopefully showing the heart is slowly repairing before next dose!!! I do feel more energised today too!

Jay good luck today with scan etc.
Hope everyone is doing ok.
X x

Hi Lesley, I finished T, the nail hitter, in December. My thumb and finger have purple on them and they look like I'm a heavy smoker, yellow at ends. But structurally they're really very good. Not dry or splitting. I never used dark nail polish, did wear gloves out and twice daily oiled with Boots Care Almond Oil. The effects get worse long after chemo has ended so keep up your nail care routine as long as possible. I have kept mine filed very short.

Thanks all, that’s all really helpful

Xx
Community Champion

Hi Lesley - sory to hear you're having nail issues - I too suffered these same lines but they never caused me a problem until quite some time after chemo finished.  I kept my nails covered with dark varnish for about a month after chemo finished and then I still used nail conditioner/varnish until the nails started to become really brittle and weak - it really does help keeping them shorter.  Toe nails were all fine and still are.  Finger nails 6 months from finishing chemo and they're still quite weak but no longer splitting and ridges/white lines all gone.  I just use hand/nail creams now and no nail varnish unless going out out!  Good luck with your final chemo tomorrow - a big day! xx

Tatyana - hope you enjoyed Swanage. Hasn’t it been lovely not to have to plan when to have breakfast or dinner? Hope you get on well with the new oncologist on Wednesday, I haven’t β€œgelled” with any of mine. I really liked my surgeon and we got on well, I’m quite sorry I won’t see her again but as I’ve had bilateral mx she’s discharged me!!

Lesley- I had the white ridges too, I didn’t really do anything to protect them but didn’t lose any. I randomly lost a toe nail after chemo finished though!!