May 2019 start Chemotherapy treatment

Hi I am starting treatment on 20 May after lumpectomy grade 3 not spread to lymph nodes have read about the Oncotype DX test on here but not been mentioned to me at hospital.  Feeling apprehensive about treatment as originally was told op then radiotherapy so chemo is a bit of a shock.  Sorted a wig today would appreciate any tips at all really to help go through this lost my husband so going through this on my own.  Many thanks.

Hi Spicey

Welcome to the May group - not that any of us want to be here but I’m sure we’ll all get to know and support each other through this darned disease.

I don’t really know much myself but am trying to navigate the quagmire as best I can.

Like you I am grade 3 and was initially going to have lumpectomy and radio but have found myself in this scenario - still trying to get my head around it. Are you Her2 neg ? I ask because I had the oncotype test as I fitted the nhs criteria i.e ER+, node neg and Her2 neg. I ended up with chemo because my score came back as 40 (high risk of recurrence).

I am on 6 x EC - I had my first one last friday, also had bisphosphates (I will be having this every other chemo and will then change to tablet form). Luckily I have had very minimal discomfort just a bit of indigestion the first couple of days, the pre chemo nausea meds worked wonders for me. I was extremely tired for 4 days though and slept most of them.

I was surprised when I was sent home after my chemo with a course of 5 injections - hadn’t been mentioned before. After looking around the forums it seems to be a normal treatment but I think people might have them for different amounts of days.

I was petrified before treatment and to be honest I still am, it’s agonising hoping you make the right decisions.

I chose not to cold cap (didn’t want to inflict any further trauma on my body, I suppose it is my little bit of control over this thing). Many ladies have chosen to do the cold cap so maybe have a look at their experiences, then you can make a balanced decision what will be best for you.

I am sorry you have lost your husband, this must make it even more difficult for you. There are many ladies on here who will be more than willing to help and support you and will be along very soon to say hello.

If there is anything I can help you with please give me a shout - we’re all in this together.

Joemic X

Hello Spicey

I was originally told lumpectomy and radiotherapy.

I had invasive DC, my tumour was 2.7cms. I had to have two further operations to get clear margins.

My tumour is ER+, HER2 neg and node negative, grade 2.

My surgeon asked my oncologist to do an oncotype DX test which had a RS score of 29. Anything above

25 they recommend chemotherapy. My oncotype report also stated that there was an 18% risk of distant

recurrence over 9 years and an absolute chemotherapy benefit of 15%.

Have you asked your surgeon why he didn’t put you forward for an oncotype test? Are you HER2 positive?

I had my first FEC chemo yesterday. I didn’t feel great last night and very lethargic today but this evening I am feeling 

not too bad at all. I have been taking the anti sickness tablets which have done the trick today.

I also opted to use cold cap. It is a bit strange and initially unpleasant having head freeze but I am doing it

to try and prevent hair loss as my hair grows soooo slowly.