May 2020 Chemo Starters

Hi 

This thread is for anyone due to start chemotherapy in May 2020.  I’m sure others will be here soon but please introduce yourself and you can all help one another through this phase of your treatment.  If you have any questions please post away on here and others in the community will watch over you whilst you are getting started.  Once you are into it you’ll be pretty good at helping each other.  You can also ask the nurses on this forum if you have any concerns.  In the meantime, the top tip is always to stay well hydrated throughout chemo, aiming for 2 litres of water per day.

Here is the BCN guide on chemo:

breastcancernow.org/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment-breast-…

Here’s an excellent article for anyone concerned about hairloss. That’s pretty much everyone starting chemo: pinklotus.com/powerup/breastcancer101/chemo-hair-loss-and-menopause-hair-too/

I finished my chemo over a year ago and doing very well again now.  Here is my story which has some chemo tips on how I coped which were collectively shared from others who had gone through the same from this forum:

lifeafterlola.com/

If you decide to set up a private group its good to stay on here also during treatment as I know from experience there are some people who watch but don’t immediately pluck up the courage to join in.  Your conversations can be a real comfort to others.

Best wishes xx

Hi, I’m Fiona. Or Fidget - I really don’t mind! I’m actually starting chemo next week 29/30 April, but it feels like it’s nearlier May than April…

I was diagnosed 18th March with breast cancer. Later confirmed as invasive, grade 3, er+, her2+ cancer.

I had surgery to remove the tumour 3rd April and the pathology results thankfully came back with clear margins and no lymph node involvement. Because of the grade and her2, I will now be having chemotherapy (6 cycles every 3 weeks) with Herceptin and hormone treatment (which is a bit confusing for me just now). 

I’m apprehensive about next week, but kind of looking forward to sharing and learning and supporting at the same time.

I visited the chemotherapy ward yesterday when I had my appt with the oncologist which I think was helpful, but might not be possible everywhere due to covid. I burst into tears on the ward but I’m glad I got that over with!

The oncology team were also really reassuring about the risks of covid and will be assessing the course of chemo regularly to balance the therapeutic benefit against infection risk. So I guess I feel as confident as it is possible to feel under current circumstances! Still bricking it, but I guess that’s normal.

Hello Everyone

My name is Clare and I’m gatecrashing this thread! I promise not to monopolise this invaluable forum so just popping in.

I am 6 months post chemo following a mastectomy last May, almost 1 year with my new boob!!! I guess I’m on the other side, when I was starting out on this journey I couldn’t imagine reaching the other side it felt light years away. I hear you and I feel all of your anxieties, fears and concerns. It’s bloody tough!

Unfortunately the cold cap was not successful for me but my goodness it was amazing for some of the people on my ward so please don’t be put off if this is your choice.

Anyway why am I here as I rarely post on the forum (it continues to be my go to for all questions as theres always answers here). I know firsthand that preparing for chemo is costly both emotionally, physically and financially… it’s all consuming. I have lots of chemo hats, scarves and cotton beanies that I’d like to gift to anyone who may need a little help.  Please private message me and I’ll pop them in the post. 

Stay safe everyone, you are amazing, beautiful, courageous and you are in my thoughts. You probably won’t feel any of these on somedays but trust me you are! We are now in a girl gang that we never asked to join but we are connected even though we’ll probably never meet, speak, text or message… we are intrinsically linked through our journeys.

Xx

Hi, I’m Sarah, I was 48 on Weds, I have two children (12 and and am married. My chemo starts on Tuesday 12 May.

I have bilateral breast cancer. I have been in family screening for 18 years and I had a recall after my most recent mammogram in January. The recall tests just showed that I had breast cysts so when I found a new lump in February, I just assumed it was a new cyst. It hadn’t disappeared come April so I called my GP and the rest is history. 
My first diagnosis was stage 1, grade 3 IDC ER+ (8/8), PR0, HER2+. However, further diagnostic tests showed it’s in right hand side lymph node (think that might change the staging?) and it’s in the left breast too. The left is grade 2, IDC, ER+ (8/8), PR+ (5/8), HER2+.

My treatment plan is chemo followed by a double mastectomy (due to family history) and then hormone meds.

Chemo is TCHP - Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin and Pertuzumab. 6 sessions; one every three weeks. I start off with Herceptin and Pertuzumab on Tuesday 12/5 and Taxotere and Carboplatin on Weds 13/5. They will then administer all four drugs at the same for future sessions. 

I have to admit I’m moving between being positive that they say it’s curative treatment to then googling synchronous bilateral breast cancer and feeling I’m doomed.