62236members
327647posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

May chemo starters 2018

Re: May chemo starters 2018

@leanne17 oh my goodness, hope you get out of hospital soon!
@Hets67 I've put on more than 2 kilos over the couse of chemo, I'd like to blame the steroids but I think with me it was sheer greediness Smiley Happy

Thank you ladies for all the lovely messages, it's a good feeling to get to the end, despite knowing I've got a week of injections and side effects waiting to kick in Smiley Happy
Looking forward to congratulating the next ones past the finish post!

Sarah xx

Hi all,

keep going everyone...congrats Sarah...such a milestone. I'll be following you onto the rads thread soon but likely to only start in Oct as no planning getting done till after last cycle.

Leanne hope you feel better soon.

im day 5 now and tired again today..working a little but resting a lot too as definitely do not want any hospital trips this time! Temp rose briefly yesterday but working on keeping it lower today.

Stay strong lovely ladies!

Tropic_al X

@joanne (and basilSmiley Happy, I’m in Marlborough - come to Andover sometimes to do various train pick ups/drop offs so can easily come see u (or dog walk?). I have had a mastectomy and implant reconstruction already and result is v good. Didn’t have node clearance though (4). I have another friend local to you who is going through exactly the same debates atm re node clearance. She has also done a lot of research and is going to get a second opinion

Woo hooo Sarah !!... well done πŸŽ‰πŸ’•πŸ‘πŸ›ŽπŸ›Ž!!.you made it ! Did you ring the bell ? I am looking forward to ringing mine on the ward next month even though still got to go back there for heceptin injections!

Sending big hug Leanne... keep going you will get out of casa nhs and be home soon . πŸ™πŸ»

Jem , I am in Andover so not far away. I have been down to the Haven cancer centre in Titchfield .. a bit far for weekly visits for me but they have a lot going on .. have you been ? ... My op seems this big block I cant get to as until I have last scans before I get transferred back to surgeon . Depending on how well the chemo has done its job will be lumpectomy or mastectomy and then an auxiliary node clearance but all a wait and see.... fed up with waiting I am obviously concluding my own google bases research πŸ€ͺ....are you having rads ? X

Omg we’re falling apart!! CONGRATULATIONS SARAH!! It must be such a relief. Sounds like we all just need to bunker down and get to the end come hook or by crook! Leanne keep us posted, sounds scary. I think I put on weight in hospital because of all the snacks I eat and the only thing I really liked was the hot sponge puddings!!! I’m day 6 - passed out on way to the bathroom last night (sickness, sweats) which also happened same time last cycle - taking it v easy today and being waited on by a rather shocked husband and daughter!

Great news Sarah, we will join you in the celebration of end of chemo soon.

Leanne, hope you feel better soon and are able to rest at home.

I have bloods today before 5th chemo Thursday then one more to go πŸ™‚πŸ˜‰

Woo hoo go Sarah!! We won’t be long behind you!!

I’m in Casa nhs!! πŸ˜’ been in since yesterday with chest pain and shortness of breath. Still none the wiser. They’ve ruled out blood clot though. Think it may be strain on heart from chemo after bad reaction to docetaxol on Friday. Hoping to know more when doctors do rounds in morning. The food is vile!!

Congrats mustardandgrey. I am in Somerset and cant download whats app as my mobile is full. Not sure when my treatment will finish.Hope to find out when surgery is on the 28th.x

Well done Sarah, what a relief eh?! πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ›ŽπŸ›Ž

And the rest of you will be following soon enough x

πŸ›ŽπŸ›Žwell done Sarah πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰you’ve done it. Such great news.
Big hugs xx

Hi everyone I'm in for meeting up after rads Im in south Wales but also willing to travel it will be great to put faces to names x last bloods tomorrow before last T on Friday. Had my second rads planning appointment on Thursday and found the breath and hold technique quite easy thankfully, been given my gown already and should be starting on the 17th of sept as long as chemo goes ahead on Friday. So should all be finished by second week of October. My hair is still growing no signs of it falling out and i have become obsessed with stroking my head lol XXX take care ladies ❀️ nearly there

Hello!
BIg hugs to everyone, especially those suffering from the side effects.

For me, today is a major milestone as I've FINISHED CHEMO!!!
The first time I've looked forward to a chemo session and left with a big smile and a few tears Smiley Happy

Way back at thd beginning of May the end date seemed a long way off and now it's here.
Three weeks off and then four weeks of radiation, so on the home straight now Smiley Happy

Sarah xx

Hi Joandbasilthedog

sorry to hear you're sofa bound- this cycle is really hitting us all. I'm day 6 cycle 5 and today felt well enough to  venture out with the children- too soon as school shoe shopping with my 3 wiped me out completely. I'm in Hampshire too- between Portsmouth and Chichester- where are you?

after chemo do you know what op your having? 

Big hugs xx

Hi everyone,

On day 4 and definitely tired and feeling like lead today. No walk so far. I ended up in A&E last time on this day and my white blood cell count was up. We put that down to the injection so sitting tight this time and hoping I get through the next few days of feeling tired and SE. Typically the weather is supposed to warm up here to 26 again but hoping they've got that wrong as can't cope with the heat too much at the mo. After saying I sleep ok I have been up by 6.30 every day!

I'm in East Anglia but also willing to travel for that meet up after rads etc when I have energy. Might be early next year at this rate! A what's app group will be the best way probably.

This journey certainly doesn't go smoothly but we're all getting there. 

Keep smiling ladies 

Tropic X 

Bless you all .. Everyone has been through it this week a bit . Sending everyone big hugs. I am still feeling very nauseous and sofa bound and the new mega 5 day anti sick pill has worn off so I think I have to ride out till it wears off and live on oxtail soup till friday day 11 like last time. Definitely would like to meet up . The hardest part is the isolation of this ... no one to talk to . We dont have a support group in my local town . I have my op coming up after last chemo and I just want to chat to people who even have had an op similar. I am in Hampshire but willing to travel . Hope everyone continues to improve xx

A meet up is a great idea. I am in South Wales.
Hope everyone has had a better weekend x

Im definitely up for a meet up, it would be really good to put faces to names!
I'm in Wales but would be happy to travel.

Sarah xx

@jemPD no having worked out the connection they removed the injection completely - means u are v tired for longer bit it def worked Kn avoiding the spike πŸ‘πŸ». I wld b up for meeting up, live in Wiltshire
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Ladies, do your meet up on pms or a what’s app group, the Forman can be read world wide. We had our meet up once everyone through rads, ops the lot and had a weekend in London and shared an apartment so was like a big pyjama party too πŸ‘it’ll give you all something to look forward to πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨Shi xx

Hi Herts

interesting thought re white blood spike after injection and body reacting. Yesterday my neutrophils were 17- after being 2 pre chemo on Monday. Registrar yesterday suggested I discussed with consultant. Do you still have the injection after chemo? Or did they lower the injection?

Feeling much more 'me' today- hopefully another 24 hours and side effects finished- I'm being optimistic .

Ladies the finish line for this chemo is in sight now- we are strong and can all do this. Side effects are horrid horrid horrid but they do pass.

Shi suggested a meet up once we all land in Greece- anyone up for putting faces to names and enjoying time together once through all treatment? Not sure where everyone is in the UK. 

Jem xx

Gosh rough 24 hours! JemPD thanks for tips felt a bit better tonight and rapidly becoming just another one of those things.
TropicAL really sorry to hear that news - but like all these things u know u can do it and after a couple of days of getting used to the idea u will take it in your stride πŸ‘πŸ»
Leanne you poor poor thing. I had heard horror stories about this happening but escaped it so far. It does sound like they were on top of it quickly and I’ve heard it’s quite common. I hope u start to feel better soon and u are able to get plenty of rest.
JemPD - oh no!!! Interesting that it is quite late in ur cycle and is coinciding with more bone pain. May b worth asking what ur white blood cell count it - perhaps u r experiencing a similar thing to me which is the GCSF injection taking affect and ur bone marrow making ur white blood cells spike which makes the body react as if it has an infection. I am sure they will still need to treat u as if u have an infection but always worth seeing if there are some dots to be joined.

Fingers crossed for a better 24 hours all around. I’m enjoying but taking it easy with my steroid days - all downhill from Monday! Xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

My darling ladies ❀️❀️❀️To you all, hets no tips on after pain, I luckily didn’t have any after doing the jab, black and blue belly by the end of it but blood clot free so worth it as you will be but main thing is you’ll be ok πŸ‘ oh Leanne my lovely was that your 2nd t? If it was same happened to me, phone your unit if you don’t feel right even with no temperature and you need to speak to your onc before next one, I went back on fec for my 6th and mishy18 got switched to Abraxane (a more expensive version of t) they use as a back up in case of reactions, I was offered that but went with the fec as I had been ok on that. I’ll give captain costas a πŸ₯Šhe didn’t warn of turbulence, no more duty free for him, he needs to concentrate on getting the plane in with you all onboard safe and sound β€οΈβ€οΈβ€οΈπŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨Shi xx

Tropic_al good that all went well yesterday- hope you got out today. Sorry you’re having rads too- as you say they are throwing everything at us which is good.
Leanne- hope you are OK today, sounds awful yesterday.
Today not gone as planned here- currently at Casa NHS as high temp once more πŸ˜–- they are not quite sure why raised temp, so more anti biotics. Bone pain is awful today but staff were helpful at how to manage- codeine and paracetamol 4 tines a day for next few days.
Need to get through next few days, focus on holiday end of next week and then last one πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰.

Chemo yesterday was I nightmare. Was meant to have it at 11 but no chairs so 2 1/2 hours late starting then 5 mins in had a bad reaction. Couldn’t breath chest tightness and went red like a beetroot. On oxygen had ant allergy drugs. Waited for doctor to review me then started it back slowly so was down there all day. Got home straight to bed and still there. Chest still a bit tight. And feeling a bit anxious but ok πŸ‘. Just 1 more left now then I’m done.

Hope all ok
Leanne xx
Highlighted

Hi all,

seems like its its been a mixed week for some of us.

JacB hope you are feeling better and you JemPD, hope you're feeling more upbeat. Sarah that's great that you've avoided a transfusion 😊.Hets, I hope that the injections go well, that's very tough.

As for me chemo was a long day with the Herceptin and permuzutab also but went ok. Even the cap didn't hurt so much as think I put too much conditioner on last time. Even think my hair might be trying to grow back a little on T. Hoping to go out a bit today as feel ok then wait for the aches etc to appear!

Found out yesterday that I will need radiotherapy for three weeks starting mid October. Bit of a blow but not unexpected given my age etc. They're certainly throwing the book at me. That cancels any 50th birthday plans in October...all postponed till next year..bigger and better hopefully.

Hope you all have decent weekends. Will be in touch soon.

Big hugs to all,

Tropic_al xx

Herts- so sorry you're having to go through this. I find the pain after the injection lasts about 3 1/2 to 4 mins-.I try not to move and put my warm hand over injection site- my nurses suggested this to reduce the hard balls forming under skin- not rubbing just hand placed. Sorry but you will bruise- however they do disappear quite quickly. 

Although I hate each one I just try and focus on the big picture on this one, it is only for a short time, each one is one less. 

Take care Jem xx

Shi/jempd ant tips for lessening the after shock pain?

Mustardandgrey, great news re transfusion, it does sound like they’re being v diligent at least.

Xx

@JemPD hope you start to feel better soon xx
@Hets67 oh my! Three months of injections???
It's a long time but you'll be fine xx

This afternoon I found out I've just scraped by with my haemoglobin levels and won't need a blood transfusion Smiley Happy
They're going tk review mh bloods again a week before radio so I may still need one but for now all is good and last chemo on Monday!

Hi Herts I’m digging deep today and focussing on the bigger picture.
Sorry you have a clot, I developed clots in cycle 1 along my PICC line. I’m guessing it’s Clexane the daily injection- my Hubbie has the pleasure each night as I can’t do myself. Keep focussed on the big picture- clot dispersing and not moving is what you need. You can do this, with you all the way.
Big hugs πŸ€—x
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh hets sorry you have to do daily injections for 3 months, it does go quickly I had to do them too, it’s best to keep safe and do them, bit of a πŸ™„ but worth it β€οΈβ€οΈβ€οΈπŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨Shi xx

@jempd time to dig deep and, in the words of Churchill KBO (keep buggering on). I’m day 2 after chemo yesterday which wiped me out, but feel better today so looking fwd to a couple of days feeling reasonable. Just been told I have to do daily anti clotting injections for 3 months (yes you read that right!) because I have a clot at the end of my port which they haven’t been able to remove with normal anti clotting agent down the port. Oh life’s a joy! I get my very own sharpes bin!

Tropic_al hope all goes well today, thinking of you. 5 βœ… after today .
JacqB - sorry you’ve come down with a cold πŸ˜–on week 3- doesn’t seem fair. Think Herts suggestion of good movie and duvet day sounds like a plan. Sending you virtual hugs πŸ€—
After horrid chemo day on Tuesday felt ok Wednesday and Thursday but se kicked in big time today. My mouth is back to horrid sores, furry tongue and everything I put in my mouth mouth feeling like cotton wool- even my trusted fizzy water 😒. Whole body aching & bones hurt. I know this will pass and just se but feeling miserable, hoping tears won’t follow.
Xx

JacqB oh no!! Keep an eye on ur temperature and don’t take any risks. Sounds like a day under the duvet with a good few films might be the plan? Xx

@jacqB hope you feel better soon xx

Bloods done this morning, should know this afternoon whether I'll need the blood transfusion.

I feel as if I'm limping towards the chemo finish line now Smiley Happy

Thank you Tracey x

Sorry you have woken up not feeling well JaqB, hope it doesn't hang around too long and spoil your 'good' days.

Good morning ladies
Feeling very low today. I’m at day 16 post T cycle 4 and was just starting to feel normal. Cycle 4 really hit me hard and I was just about feeling human but
I’ve woken up with a sore throat and a cold. I’m so unhappy that my brief window to feel well has been ruined by a cold! It’s daft really that I’ve coped very well with chemo but I’m now an emotional mess about a flippin cold! I think its going to be one of those days! 😒
Jacq

Hi all,
Been reading all of your stories. Sorry you may need a transfusion Sarah but keep positive. Hope it all goes well.
I’ve had a great few days of feeling well, working and even went out for dinner. Bloods good..which can only mean one thing, chemo 5 tomorrow. Oh well one more down and one less time to suffer the cold cap! Interesting listening to the sweats comments. I haven’t had a period since April ..every cloud...and get random hot sweats so could be a combination of menopause and chemo. Have had indigestion for the first time on T so my oncologist prescribed another drug to add to the mix today..just can’t get enough of these drugs! Plucked up the courage to ask about radio, apparently I’m borderline so will find out tomorrow if I’ll have it. I had an implant recon straight away do that could be ruined but will have to take the risk and see if I need radio. One more thing to endure.
I don’t seem to have too much of a problem with sleeping after the steroids, it’s the heat that was killing me. I don’t take any steroids after 2pm. Here’s hoping for an A&E free cycle.
Well done everyone..keep going. We’re getting there!
Lots of hugs to all, Tropic_al x
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

I think one of the ladies on our October thread had to have a blood transfusion near the end of chemo too, it’s quite a common thing so please keep πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺwe are having no wing walkers this round, captain costas says so, the ✈️ is coming in over all this pretty Greek isles ladies, can you see the sparkling blue water and the pretty sugar cube white wash Greek houses? Not long now till we’ll have you on the op bus or the rads bus en route to club Tropicana πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ don’t forget to get you meet up arranged too, us Oct ladies had πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»One in London a couple of weeks ago πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨Shi xx

Hope you are feeling better JemPD after the sickness hit you.
I am on my feeling good week, no side effects apart from the usual tiredness and not sleeping well but managing to work

Regarding reconstruction surgery, I have been told that mine won't happen until 12 months post radiation treatment. It seems that each area/individual case is different

@leanne17 thank you xx

I had a blood transfusion after my op in March. It sounds so scary but it’s just a drip not painful. And it gives you energy good luck Sarah xx

@JemPD...after the chemo nurse mentioned the words blood transfusion I didn't take much else in but I think the level was 101 and anything under 100 would mean a transfusion as I've had crashing fatigue for most of the last month, plus four weeks of radiation to go after chemo.
She said the radiation would probably swing it in favour of the blood transfusion as it woulx be a bad idea to go into radiation with low haemoglobin levels.

Sarah x

Sarah sorry you might need a transfusion - what levels have your heamaglobin crashed too? Keep your focus on final chemo - what a mile stone you will have reached😊. Time to ring the πŸ›Ž. Take care

@joandbastilthedaog. My son is 16 tomorrow (same day as you) and I have chemo in morning so going for a meal tonight in case I’m not feeling up to it 😊

@tanya I’ve also put a stone on since starting chemo. The steroids make me want to eat constantly.

And night sweats can be a nightmare. The things we have to endure hey ladies

Xx

Well, just back from a pre chemo assessment before the final chemo on Monday.
And the excitment at reaching the finish line has been slightly marred by the possibility of needing a blood transfusion, due to low haemoglobin levels and crashing fatigue.
It all hinges on tomorrow morning's blood test results Smiley Sad
The plus side is that it won't affect my chemo date, as it would be done a few days after.
But I'm apprehensive.
Has anyone here had to gave a blood transfusion during chemo?

Sarah x

Herts - strange how things change - but happy to hear bloods are good for chemo - hope all goes well today. Another 1βœ….
Steroids πŸ˜–absolutely exhausted but sleep was hard to find last night. Hoping tonight better.
Joandbasilthedog - yes the same drug - thought my spellcheck g was a bit off the scale. For me this worked really well and didn’t have any nausea- hope the same for you.
Sharing our experiences of sweats have been really reassuring- Knowing I’m not the only one. Thanks
Jem xx

Went to work today and came straight home as someone sitting near me has a cold. Only day 2 but unless she is in another room I can't risk it. She's off tomorrow so back then.Def seeing surgeon on 28th then back again for an mri at the end of chemo. 

Yes the sweats are horrible and I hadn't realised before I got them that they were another little gift from chemo, I don't remember reading about them on the leaflet I was given. The good news is that they went as quickly as they came! xx

@Linda well done! My bloods ok too so chemo today - dreading it. Sweats - so relieved to see this!! And I’m only on FEC but still a massive problem, I also have a lot of pain at night in my bones and also my ribs where I had the mastectomy. Can’t wait for all this to be over! Xxx