I do so sympathise with you ladies experiencing this problem. This happened to me after chemo (which was four years ago now) and I think it was one of the most difficult of the side effects to cope with. I dont think there is anything which can reliably prevent it. I believe some hospitals may provide ice-baths, which presumably work on the same principle as cold capping for hair loss. I painted my nails purple, which may work for some people but didnt for me. On the positive side I enjoyed having purple nails so much that once my nails grew back (and they did, and stronger than before) I continued and never having used nail varnish pre chemo, now have a whole collection of striking colours, which are often admired. In fact I have been painting them as I relly to this message. Look after yourselves ladies, there is light at the end of the horrible tunnel you are going through.
Hi, they told me very dark polish to protect them from the sunlight. Mine tend to split, so I put two layers of clear polish on and then a later of dark purplered on top.
I have seem that you received a response to this on a seperate thread.
Digital Community Officer
Would love to hear from anyone who has been through this. My fingers are sore anyway, and although nails painted dark colour...they are tender on thumbs and some fingers.
did anyone have this...and were there infections afterwards...? How did you cope with this issue please?