Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November 2017 Chemo Starters

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: November 2017 Chemo Starters

Lesley are you cold capping? Well done you if you are 😘😘💕💕✨✨shi xx

Lesley, I don't want to be the bringer of bad news but a lot of us chemo 3 girls are now complaining of wind💨💨💨 this cycle so no sprouts needed for us! 😂🤣😂🤣😂

we wont even get started on the sprout flatulence shi!!

We all sound as if we have started out as wooly mammoths!

No no moustache,  a nicely trimmed lady garden and a full head of hair ........ at the moment!

Now I have gone to all this bloody effort the bugger had better fall out now!

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

👏👏👏👏round of applause for Lesley’s photo of the day, given us plenty to 🤣😂🤣😂🤣about, p.s. pass the sprouts please Lesley 😘😘💕💕✨✨shi xx

OMG Shi 😂😂🤣😂😂
Lesley, I thought before I read: what's this? Has she bought moustache that go with the wigs?

Shi, I also still have some lady tuft and armpit hair left after fecx3 so maybe we did have that much to start with 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

🤣
My mind boggles!!
💫☄🤗🤗🤗💕

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂😂🤣😂ladies please stop! I'm crying and I'm also now all snotty as nose has decided to suddenly run due to reduced nose hair!

OMG Shi ........ you have set me off again - ROFL!!

It will give us something different to talk about over Christmas dinner....... why the hell is mother wearing melting cat sick on her head???  More sprouts anyone???

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Otter are we talking wigs or lady gardens🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂💕💕✨✨shi xx

Hi

The Wig lady told me that they don't like being washed very much and not to use a hair dryer also to be careful when cooking as they can melt say if you open the oven door🤕

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

My lady garden never went for a world record, and you are telling us they are washed wigs 🤔🤔🤔🤔in your tub🤔🤔🤔🤔My lady garden is not full Brazilian yet and I’m 3 fec in, switch to t in Dec. Leg hair still holding on in there for all us Oct thread, so sorry girls ladyshaves at the ready still for the legs😁😁😁😁💕💕✨✨shi

Laugh, laugh, laugh! I read the October thread first about checking out November thread and couldn't read comments for scrolling for pic!!! Sooooooooo funny!!!!!! Although agreed if that's what was left in the bath this chemo has done you a mahoosive favour xxx.
Still smiling :0) Love you ladies xxx

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂you ladies are really making me chuckle tonight, thanks it has been a very good feeling! Cheeks are hurting now from laughing!

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

😁😁😁that’s funny stick em on with cat sick 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂glad you don’t mind our Oct thread humour 💕💕✨✨shi xx

I'm glad I made you smile/laugh/cry ....... that was my intention!   And I'm not at all offended!!

Although I don't think I will be able to put them on without thinking of cat sick!!

And shi ........... if this resembles what came off your lady garden we need to have serious words!!

I'm going to have to delay dinner now ..... my tummy is aching from laughing too much!!

have a good night!

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

🤣😂🤣😂thought you’d photo’d remains of lady garden in bath till I read the post 🤣😂🤣😂🤣💕💕✨✨shi xx

Lesley, your picture made me 😂 I couldn't work out what it was until I read the post, I thought they looked like something my cat would sick up! Sorry, I'm not being mean it's just what they looked like at first glance 😂🤣😂

I was just visiting for the day - I live on the outskirts of London 🏙

My husband wanted to take me out for the day as this is my good week and we wanted a change of scenery.  I think he feels bad about my hair loss and wanted to do something different. We had lunch in the White Lion - I would really recommend there & bought a few little gifts along the way.

You really made me laugh with your wigs - after I washed mine, whilst it was damp I combed it with a wide toothed comb and it looks just fine. Have just been told by my daughters that little or no hair is on trend - go us!!!

Xxx   🤗💫☄

oh JC - lunch in Tenterden - one  of my fave spots ..... you can't be that far away from me??   I'm near Hythe.

I decided to get the wigs out and give them an airing - they smelt a bit funny to me, sort of of that oil you get with your sewing machine.... so I gave them a wash thru and condition and they are now drip drying over the bath.

They looked like something out of a bush tucker trial half way thru but it did make me giggle!    Hopefully they will dry ok and all will be well in the world!   Like most things that we have to go thru ..... fingers crossed.

IMG_4895.JPG

Ha modern technology!!! I've had a lovely day out at Hastings  & lunch at Tenterden  & tried to add post. Massive failure!!  😄

I think I could be a female monk at the moment - have lost lots of hair from the top so have small baldy patches but I'may not too bad at the front & sides. Hats & wig at the ready 😊

Great news Otter, hope all goes well for you & you have a better time with this cycle👍

Bythesea I hope you hear good news tomorrow  - I'm having bloods done & seeing onc tomorrow , hopefully for a Friday cocktail 🍹

Hi Kathleen  and welcome to our November group. I had nausea for about a week and was fine in 2nd week, I'm on 6 cycles of FEC-T and due my 2nd dose on Friday. I have ginger everything standing by & as soon as they had given me my 1st course I wore the anti sickness travel sickbands for a few days. I took all the anti sickness meds as advised . I agree with Chaffinch, it was a bit like morning sickness, only lasting all day but only for a few days. Hope you begin to feel yourself again soon  💕

Xxx 🤗💫☄

Hi Kathleen, sorry to hear you've had a rubbish time of things. Have you called your team to let them know you've been suffering? They may be able give you some other meds to help relieve some of the SE's I was told to call them as they said you shouldn't have to suffer unnecessarily. Like Chaffinch I am also 3 fecs through 6 cycles. Have you tried meditation or mindfulness? I have been doing this along with yoga each day and I do think it really helps. I did read that yoga can help combat the fatigue from chemo and it does seem to be helping me. Some days I only do 15-20 mins of yoga and also sometimes just do very gentle poses so you don't have to go mad, even just the yoga breathing exercises may help if you don't feel up to anything else.

Bythesea, I hope your chemotherapy can go ahead but it's better to wait a week and be fully fit if necessary, although it know everyone wants to just get it all over with as quick as possible! 

Hi Kathleen and welcome to the most unpopular club of all.
I have had 3 FEC cycles of 6 now and find it takes 6-7 days to start to feel human again. You will feel better and you will have normal days, don’t despair x Tell your team about nausea and they will tweak your meds each time. I was sick twice first cycle and felt like I had morning sickness for a week, second cycle I was given Emend which helped and this cycle I was told to double the dose of my Ondansetron and take metaclopramide if needed which I did a couple of times. I only needed to do this until Saturday, treatment was last Wednesday. The fear of the unknown doesn’t help at first. I have found the last twice that sleep and watching trashy light tv has got me through first 2 days then the worst is over. The time goes quite quickly really, make the most of your good days particularly in the last week before each cycle when your immunity will pick up slightly. Plan some treats to look forward too. I make sure I have a nice meal out and a glass of wine that week. Book a Look Good Feel Better course if you have access to one nearby. There is usually a waiting list and they tend to be available just when you are need of a real boost.
Hang in there you can do this xx

Hi Kathleen 

your experience sounds very like mine, home at 3, nausea at 5, vomiting at 7.

The anti-emetics that they sent me home with sort of took the edge of for days 2-4 but then without anything it was just awful.

I spoke to the unit and they pointed me toward my GP who gave me another anti-emetic to try. 

It worked within an hour.  I continued with that until day 8 and then gradually reduced the tablets rather than just stopping them.

I have got to admit, there was a point when I thought to myself, I just cant do this again.

But having come out the other side I know I can now.  With the right meds!

The unit know that I have had additional meds and they said they will review my sickness meds for the next sessions.

From phoning my GP to getting new tablets was 45 mins - they were fantastic.

stay strong 

xx 

Community Champion

Hi Kathleen
Unfortunately what you're experiencing is quite normal. Speak to your chemo team about the nausea as there will be other drugs you can take. The fatigue is hardest in the first week, so hopefully by day 8 you will be feeling more like yourself.
Hope this helps
Sue xx
Highlighted

I had my first chemo last Thursday 7/11/17 as I am prone to a jippy tummy I was provided with a belt and braces supply of anti emetics which I am pleased to say has prevented me from being physicaly sick.Within 3 hours of the treatment I was overhelmed with feelings of nausea that persisted for about 3 days a bit like motion sickness noise and light also made things worse the only thing that seemed to help was sitting or lying still with my eyes shut.I am up and about but tire very easily is all this to be expected?I was also warned about a potential 7-10 day dip in energy I was hopeful yesterday I was starting to turn the corner but cant bear the thought of feeling like this for the next 4 months or so.

Oh no .... I could hear that foot stomp from here!!

It's so frustrating isn't it.  But there is no point in making yourself really poorly for the sake of a week.

You can come and play with us next week Bythesea ..... we will let you!!

Seriously though, hope it all comes back ok!

Big hugs to everyone 

xx

I'm waiting for the call about tomorrow. Bloods are low :0( hoping they might take blood tomorrow???
Hurumph!!!! :0(

Get the clarityn in ready Otter Smiley Sad
xx

Thanks

I did also ask about the injection and they only give them when on the T part as they say the SE. Outweigh the benefits unless you are at risk of infection so I guess it is down to which hospital you are with put looks like I will have joy of them after Xmas 🙃🐶

Good news Otter! Good to also hear they've reviewed the pain meds too hopefully you'll get an easier time this cycle. Good luck for Thursday 🍀🍀🍀hope the chemo treats you kindly 💫⭐️✨💫⭐️🌟🌟🌟✨🦄🌈🦄🌈🦄🦄💫⭐️🦄🌈

Hi ladies

After waiting two hours finally got to see oncologist bloods are ok so all go for Thursday🎉

They are just going to alter some of the drugs I get do hopefully I want get the headaches but extra meds for pain relief

So shopping cleaning and making sure all is in place for a 7 day hangover but hoping it want be that long this time

Hair is still hanging in there did loose quite a bit when I washed it but still looks ok 

Hope all goes to plan for all this week's rollercoaster riders🎢🎢🎢

Don't get me started wtih Skype Meesh ..... I have just spent an hour resetting my parents skype remotely!!  No mean feat!!

They are desperate to see me but are 250 miles away and both have colds, so they are banned!!

Got there in the end though!

Modern technology that lets us work is great! Although where I work we use calling via Skype and all laptops are fitted with cameras so I have to be really careful to turn the video function off otherwise everyone would see me in my pjs with bedhead! 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

For those cold capping I have been just washing once a week using a jug in the shower. I'm lucky as a curly girl I can get away with minimal styling using just my fingers and it seems to be hanging in there! Hair usually looks grim by the end of the week though 😣

🤣

that's a great idea Bythesea!!  can we all come???

My hair is holding on, but I have got my wigs out this morning and given them an airing.

I did go slightly mad buying wigs .... but variety is the spice of life!!

I am lucky, I mainly work from home so I have been able to crack on with stuff and no one is any the wiser it was all done in wincyette!!

Ha if it comes to it I'll post a pic of Elton john!!
Jc loved the tree thing too xxx.
I'm working from home today and it's great. In bed still in pjs :0)
I'm planning my Bon jovi half way there party for December! Going to make everyone come in a wig :0)
Community Champion

Fingers crossed Bythesea! Although the Elton john wig sounds interesting!! Xx

Bythesea, I love the tree analogy - I think I may use it as I'm not cold capping!! I have a lovely silver birch in my back garden that is stunning at the moment in glorious autumnal colours and by the time it comes back next spring I will be finished!!
I have bloods & onc tomorrow with my cocktail on Friday.
Good luck to all no.2's this week xxx
☄💫🤗

Sending big hugs to tomorrow's ladies and hoping that tomorrow is kind to you, thinking of you all.

As only day 6 I have only washed my hair once since first treatment and rocking my surfer bedhead look but am dreading the washes to come, you are all doing so well. I too am cold capping but have a wig at a local wig shop with my name on should I or when I need it. 

Have a lovely day x 

Hi sue, I'm cold capping so hoping it's just thinning, no handfuls yet. Do have wooly hats and an old Elton john wig somewhere if needs must xxx
Community Champion

Morning Ladies

Bythesea.....once you start losing your hair, it does happen rapidly unfortunately. Do you have a scarf that you can put on temporarily? I'm concerned that you may not last til Monday xx

Well.... bloods done yesterday hope they are ok. Onc appointment tomorrow 9.20 followed by cocktail! Hoping the hangover is less this time but I'll take 4 rough days in 21 if that's how it needs to be.
I've had no injections or antibiotics and yesterday hair has started to loosen one strand at a time :0( although I read on an earlier monthly thread that a woman had told her children she was like the trees that lose their leaves in the winter and grow back in the spring! Loved it!!!
Who's on the train for tomorrow??? Is it just fmb and milliemoo???
Day of cleaning and bleaching for me today ready to get on that big porcelain telephone :0)
Santa and his reeindeers are coming to town on Saturday so I WILL be getting out for that and since other wig wasn't ready till feb lady ordered in different one so trying it on Monday. Hopefully hair can hold on till then.
Hope everyone has a great day, sending much love and hugs xxxxx
Community Champion

Hot flushes are definitely a SE of chemo. I was peri menopausal in the beginning and it seems to throw you dramatically into the menopause. Mine got really bad Jan/Feb after I started chemo. I unsuccessfully tried acupuncture and then was delighted to find that a positive SE of sertraline antidepressants was the reduction of the flushes.

Unfortunately they became worse with tamoxifen and even worse with the alternative drug anastrozole (normally use for menopausal ladies).

I'm pleased to say that things have got a lot better during the last 6 months! I tend to live in shorts/light trousers, tshirts and flip flops - a big t tricky at work!!
Community Champion

Hi November ladies, it sounds like you're all going through a difficult time. It does take me back three years to when I was where you are now and experiencing my first post chemo infection. It is early days and after a few cycles I'm sure this thread will become lighter and more humorous!

A note on hair - I cold capped pretty successfully through 3 x FEC and 11 x weekly taxol (apologies for repeating myself but this tread is already long and I've still got chemo brain/amnesia!). I washed my hair weekly and always on chemo day, although subsequently I've read that many are advised not to wash it on chemo day. I left it to dry as naturally as possible and styled with my fingers, no combs or brushes. I found a loose ponytail with soft covered scrunchies helped to cover thinning top.

Just like you are experiencing I had what seemed like a dramatic loss a couple of weeks after chemo 1. Handfuls coming out and a big matted clump which I had to cut out. I was devastated and disheartened, but I preserved with the cold cap and was very glad I did. No more shedding and by the time I finished in April 15 I had a good 2 inches of new hair today growth all over.

You're doing great girls. Hang in there. It'll all be behind you very soon xx

My first steroids are given by bolus into my cannula as the first part of chemo before the E then I’m sent home with 3 days of tablets. The only thing I take before is 2 Ondansetron 1/2 hour before.

Yeah I only get steroids and anti sickness on arrival before chemo given then a party bag of different drugs to go home with🎉🙃

Also meant to say I think the hot flushes are an SE and not temp related. I am 44 and pre-menopausal but have not had a period since before chemo 1 and have experienced hot flushes. So not sure if chemo has induced an early menopause or not but the tamoxifen I'll go on after chemo will probably do that anyway so doesn't make much difference!😕