cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November 2017 Chemo Starters

Re: November 2017 Chemo Starters

Happy Easter, lovely ladies 🐣🐣🐣🐣

Bythesea, good you can enjoy your stay in hospital 👍😀

Thank you, Lesley xx this is what I’m thinking too ... I must be careful! They can be good throughout the whole walk and then, one sudden unexpected pull because there was a squirrel jumping from a tree 😱

Morning ladies 💕
I'm still on my mini break but quite enjoying the rest. My surgeon is on call over the weekend so feel I am getting extra special treatment and I've got a single room so feel like a rock star ⭐️
I make loads of fluid I just can't seem to get it into the drain! So my pert little boobie looks bigger than it should at the mo!
This is what I look like 😜😜😜😜😜😜😜
Anadan I can't believe your almost finished rads! It seems to have flown by, you'll maybe not see it like that tho. Well done x
Carole how is your recuperation going??? Hope you are recovering well x
Lesley my eyebrows are also on the way out. Was quite sore yesterday and not much fun so didn't wash or mascara myself up. Think surgeon got a fright as I've always made a megre effort. Might actually have looked unwell and no eyebrows doesn't help 😔 I think you need to hire yourself a footman to carry your bags and perhaps you when needed x
Annakarenina love that your packing already. M&s have nice post surgery bras in their sale I got a lovely one for £9. Although it's too tight for me to wear at the mo as it constricts my drain.
Some one bought me a robinsons squashed which has been brilliant for jazzing up the water. It's really small so doesn't take up any room. I'll keep thinking of handy tips. Happy packing xxx
Happy Easter to all 🐥🐣🐥🐣🐥🐣🐥😜

Anadan glad you are coming out of the fug!

I had a lumpectomy and full node clearance and have seen if I do too much with arm it aches and swells slightly. Dragging my small, light bag during the week has really affected it.
My advice is to be very careful with the dogs - sorry I can’t be more helpful xx

Hello lovely ladies Smiley Happy

I’m finally emerging from the darkness. It takes longer every time, but there will only be 1! more !!! time. 😀🤸‍♀️😀I can’t imagine how weak I am ... ☹️my legs are shaking when I go up or down the stairs. But tonight, I’ e been hungry, first time in two weeks, that’s a good sign Smiley Happy I’m just in time, ready for hols and some quality time with the girls.

Bythesea, you’re my heroin, three ops! I’m happy you like the final result. Well done you! 👏👏👏

JC, can I ask a question? after your mx and nodes clearance, how careful are you with your arm? How long did it take to be ‘normal’ re movement and strength in the arm? Does it get swollen when you do too much? I have two big dogs, they pull on lead, I wonder when and if any time again I will be able to walk them without asking for help. Thank you 😘😘 

Anna Karenina, are you ready for the next step? 

Xx

Hi AK - yes I have learnt the hard way that I am not as fit as I thought I was - totally wiped out ... to the point where I would normally have gone to OH yesterday but told him we would stick to our normal weekend plans so will be heading over there shortly.

Rads on Tuesday - so I need to get myself match fit again!

Just wanted to share aswell - I bought these ages ago when the hair went but have only just used them today - very very effective and so easy to use.  My own, very heavy brows have finally given up the ghost.  But these look great.  Promise I'm not on commission!!

https://www.simplywigs.co.uk/catalogue/false-eyebrows/false-eyebrow-abigail-brow.php

Have a lovely Easter everyone xx

Hello everyone from a very rainy London, just dropped by to see how everyone is doing.

Otter and Carole, I hope you're contnuing to take it easy after your surgery? I am just putting together my packing list for my bilateral Mx in a couple of weeks which is making it all seem very real indeed. 

Lesley, do take it easy with the 4 am starts (sorry to be a fussy flo) - you have been through a lot and I reckon we all need to be kind to ourselves. Have you got a relaxing weekend planned?

Jencat, lovely to see you here - the October thread was such a source of information and support before I started chemo.

Anandan, JC, Fmb, Harryfiddler et al: thinking of you all and hoping all is well with you.

Happy Easter November gang. xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Otter, that’s great news about your aunt too 👍👍👍👍thanks for sharing. Hope everyone has a beautiful 🐣💕💕✨✨shi xx

My aunt had BC over 30 years ago she is now 84 and she only had surgery and was on Tamoxifen for 5 years so she is helping me to stay positive about the future 😘😘😘😘🤗🤗🤗🤗

Been a horrible 🌧🌧🌧🌧🌧🌧🌧🌧 day here just hope we get some 🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞 soon 

Xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Lesley and jencat, just want to post and remind everyone my gran was 44 when she had breast cancer and she will be 94 later this year, she didn’t have chemo or rads back then either and nothing else tamoxifen or herceprin wise either, so let’s all keep positive 👍👍👍 and enjoy life ❤️❤️💕💕✨✨✨shi xx

I saw Dr <Doctor's name removed, as per Terms & Conditions> at Guys, he was so helpfull and gave me lots of info on BC in general as well as the genetic stuff.
I’m under east Kent - rads at Canterbury.
I’m generally very positive about my outcome. I’ve already taken steps to improve my diet, though like you Jencat, it’s not that bad to start with.
Technically speaking we are almost at the 1 year mark already 😀

I went to Guy's as well Lesley. The doctor I saw ( I think her name is <Doctor's name removed, as per Terms and Conditions>) said results will take 8-10 weeks! I've got 2 daughter's, so I feel anxious for them as well.

What trust are you under? Mine is Medway and I notice Gillingham is listed as participating in the asprin trial (thank you for the link) I don't live there myself, but that's where my hospital is.

I'll have to ask my onc about having Zoldronic Acid for 5 years rather than 3. She said the first 2/3 years recurrance is higher than other bc's, but after 5 years, we're the same as other bc's. I was slightly comforted when I received a copy of the letter my onc sent to my consultant and doctor that she said because I'm TN, I have a slightly higher risk than other bc's. Sounds better than high! Also, on a positive note, as you say by continuing treatment, we're still being monitored. 

I hope in a bit more time, I'll be able to move forward and not be paranoid that because I'm TN, there's bound to be a recurrence. My ED works with someone who had TN bc over 5 years ago and is still doing fine. My daughter did say that she eats very healthily, so after radiotherapy, I think I need to review my diet. It's not terrible now, but I think it could be better!

I've also got a friend who is doing well 10+ years after having TN, so that gives me hope too xx

Yes that's what my onc told me about the Zoledronic acid as well - but recurrence is high in the first 5 years ... so if other trusts are doing it for 5 why not ours??

She also mentioned the add asprin trial as well to me - here's the details http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/find-a-clinical-trial/a-trial-looking-at-whether-aspiri...

I had my genetics test back in november and got the results at the beginning of the year - went to guys for mine.  I had to chase for the results though!!  Fortunately they came back negative, fingers crossed yours do too!! xx

Lesley, I hadn't thought about the connection of Zoldronic Acid and still being under the oncologist, that's a good point! I'm TN too, so I find it a bit reassuring to be having the Zoldronic Acid. I don't know what your onc said about it, but mine said that it helps to strengthen the bones, but also recently in the US it had shown that it also helps to prevent a recurrence  of bc. Maybe it's only usually offered for 3 years because it's in the first few years that a recurrence is higher?

What is the asprin trial that you're going on? Did your onc suggest it to you? When I saw the genetics consultant a couple of weeks ago, she said you have to ask about going on trials.

Find it quite hard that the genetics test takes so long before they give the results xx

As we said JC - every trust seems to do things diferrently!!

I know of other people who are on it and they are all 6 monthly but for 3 years - Dr Google confirms that it is recommended for 3 to 5 years!!

But who knows what they will be saying when we hit our 3 year mark.

The thing I like about it is that you are under the oncologist all the time you are on the zoledronic acid - they can't discharge you ....... and it's a lot easier to get back in to see the onc if you have any worries than the surgeon!!  Especially for me as a TN with a high recurrence rate and high rate of spread!  Gives me a little more confidence going forward that there is someone in my corner!

xx

I wonder why they've only just mentioned it to me now and didn't offer it whilst I was on chemo as both of you Lesley & Jencat started yours then?
When I had my port flushed today the nurse told me it would either be 3 or 6 monthly, so there seems to be some confusion.

Hi Jencat

I start next week ☢️  I started an April Rad thread as well - not a lot of activity on there tba!

I am seeing the onc next Friday as she wants to consent me for the add asprin trial - I have a list of questions for her and 5 yrs of zoledronic acid will be on there!  

I didn't notice any change in SE when it was given with the chemo but who knows what it will be like on it's own!

xx

Hi Lesley and JC, I'm having Zoldronic Acid for 3 years. I've had 3 lots already alongside chemo, every other one. I'll be having it again in April and then 6 monthly. Don't think the SE's were any worse on the one's where I also had Zoldronic Acid. I didn't know you could have it for as long as 5 years, wonder how they decide how much to give us?

I'm from the Oct thread, but think I'll be joining some of you for radiotherapy as I'm not starting that until the middle of April xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

By the sea 💪💪💪💪😘😘😘😘you are amazing, rest up and 🤞🤞🤞you are able to get home for 🐣💕💕✨✨shi xx

Bythesea - how long are you in for this time? Home for Easter? 🐣

Xx

My next zoledronic acid is the 26/04, that will be my fourth. Then October!
I’ll let you know about side effects! 😫

xx

Not sure Lesley. I hadn't seen this guy before and he didn't know me and threw bits of information about about timings. I can't work out when to expect my first one, someone will contact me in due course. He said tablets for minimum of 5 years and zoledronic acid for 3-5 years. I guess I shall wait for next appointment with hopefully a different person to get more definite information.

JC - are you on zoledronic acid for 5 years - they have only said 3 to me??? xx

Bythesea - you should be so proud of yourself - three lots of surgery in a relatively short space of time!  you are an inspiration!

But as Carole says, rest up and don't do too much, listen to what the professionals say and then try and comply!! I'm a fine one to talk though!

Carole, glad to hear you are improving every day

I've had a very busy couple of days - and to be honest, probably done too much too soon.  I know I need to invest in some new overnight luggage - pull along bags and breast/node surgery/treatment don't mix!!  And I think I may have to abandon my beloved 'throw everything in it' handbag that my son bought me Smiley Sad

As the sun is shining here, I think I might potter in my garden today, before I head off to potter in OH's garden for the weekend!!

Anadan - how are you doing on your injections?

hope everyone is ok!!

love to all 

xxx

Morning  - and It's a beautiful one here ☀️

Yes, welcome to our animal club - 🐷

I remember waking up in the night and almost filling a pan 😄 but no I'm not having any radiotherapy as I had my mx with 8 nodes including auxiliary removed last July, followed by chemo. I'm now on letrozole, with zoledronic acid, for minimum of 5 years.

I've now got to decide whether to have reduction or mx on my right breast, but no rush. 

Bythesea & Carole , enjoy your rest and the good weather and your pert little boobs

Happy Maundy Thursday 🐣🐰

Xxx

Good morning Bythesea and welcome to the club 🤗 🐷🐷. So pleased you love your new boob
Wow 5 hours take it easy and rest, I'm back to bed for a snooze after breakfast as I'm feeling quite tired.
My surgeon took 512g of boob away too.
My initial plan is for no radiotherapy but I'll take one step at a time.
Take it easy and rest.💕💕💕💕

Morning ladies that's me joined the bit of an animal club 😊🦁🐯rarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Theatre took 5 hours. Felt like a private patient 😊 Although not sure if I peed the bed as I woke up with a catheter!!!
Jc are you not getting radiotherapy?
Also loving my pert little boob and in gown looks like nothing's changed 😊 500 grams of s#!t has been thrown away.
Happy days and love you ladies ❤️

JC many thanks, you've been a great help, I will now chill and take one step at a time and not panic about the size difference etc. You're a complete star thank you 🤗 💕

Lesley, holidays weren't mentioned yesterday. My surgeon was emphatic about yearly mammogram, starting in May. He just mentioned about the mri's starting next year. I have a friend whose breast cancer wasn't found on a mammogram.

Carole I didn't wear a bra until my drain was removed. I bought some post surgery bras which were non wired and wore a 'softee ' to balance me up. My nurses suggested I also wore my normal bras. After about 8 weeks I was given a silicone prosthesis to wear in my bra. To be honest I didn't wear it for too long and am just wearing my normal bra and am lopsided until I decide what to do. With clothes in it's not too noticeable, even though my right breast is almost double the size of my new pert one. I was a 36G before surgery and I won't know my final size until I eventuallt decide what to do. Hope this is helpful.

Xxx

Morning ladies
A lovely long sleep for me last night and feeling no pain at the moment.
Thanks for the update JC feeling happier about my pert lumpy boob. It's only 48 hours what do I expect to look like. Can I just ask a couple of questions did you wear a support bra 24/7 I did for my lumpectomy so just checking and did you have to keep it warm. I have a big cotton wool pad to keep me warm, forgot to ask how long I need to use it for will also phone BCN to check.
Don't worry Lesley in firmly fixed on the sofa for now
Xx

Morning all

Good luck today Bythesea - sending positive surgery vibes your way

Carole - stay on the sofa and rest up - get Netflix running!

JC - did they give you the green light to go away?  Glad everything else was good.  What's the rationale for the regular MRIs?    As I head towards the final stage of treatment I am thinking more and more of surveillance and it would be good to know what 'regimes' are being adopted in other areas!

xx

🍀🍀🍀🍀 good luck bythesea for tomorrow

🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗 Rest up Carole 

I've just had my check up with my breast surgeon today. He's really pleased with how my left breast has healed and how it's looking. It was lumpy at first but once the dressings and drain goes it does start to change into a more natural shape. I love my little pert boob.
I'll be having a yearly mammogram on good breast, first one in May with mri's about every 18 months. He has offered to take my port out once I've had my first zoledronic acid and then he wants me to go away for 6 months to give my body time to heal, spend time with my family and enjoy being me without worrying about hospital appointments before making decision on my right breast. He feels I've been through enough for now.

Good luck Carole with your recovery & Bythesea for tomorrow 🤗🤗🤗🤗 xxx

Well that's me all checked in ready for tomorrow. Third visit in a month so know the routine and most of the nurses!
Thank you JC for hammock update, and Nice to know your home already Carole. So reassuring x
I'm first on list again tomorrow so all going well should be a bit of an animal by lunch!
Will be picturing you In that gold suit tomorrow Lesley and Hope your enjoying your mini break up north x

Evening ladies
Home now with my drain and feeling battered and a bit sore but I know it will pass.
Good to hear JC that you are happy with your implant as I'm looking lumpy but pert on one side and wondering how close a match I will be
Xx

Afternoon everyone

It's turned into a lovely spring afternoon here ☀🥀
Otter it's great you're now over halfway with your rads and you finish next week.
Carole I'm glad your op went well. Try and get plenty of rest and enjoy being spoilt 😊 It's important to do the exercises to get movement back in the area.
Bythesea I wasn't given a choice re animal hammock just told what was going to happen but 8 months down the line all's good. I love my implant, I won't have a problem with gravity and at 55 it's great having a boob of a 21 year old!! 😉 The wild meadow flowers are beautiful

Xxx

Loving the Monday boogie Lesley 🤣

Well done Carole, so glad the op went well.
Rest up xxx

Hope you’ve had a good night Carole, have you got plenty of pillows to give you some suppport at home?

Early start for me, I’m heading to Cheshire to spend a couple of days with my main client - this was a regular trip for me until October .... slowly normality returns ... but not sure about these 4am starts!!

Hi Bythesea
No it's routine for just an overnight stay if all is good, and I have to report in daily the collection volume and then have it removed once I have reached the acceptable volume
Movement not as bad as I thought it would be. Pit feels tight and shoulder a bit sore. I'll keep you updated.
Hope Wednesday goes well, sending all the positivity I can with big hugs 💕💕💕

Wild Meadow Monday for you Lovely Ladies xxx

image.jpeg

Well done Carole xxx. Are they letting you out with drain as you live soo close??
JC did you chose the animal hammock as a choice and have you had any bother with it???
I'm back in tomorrow night for op number three on Wed!!! At least there will defo be nothing left!
How is your movement Carole???
Will post Wild meadow Monday flowers 🌺 for you lovely ladies ❤️
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Elora 👍👍👍well done brilliant lady ❤️❤️Rest up 😘😘😘Lesley 😁😁💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻Great dance, good tip from otter about h&b aloe Vera, I got the one with the tea tree in it too and when the bap started to 🥓🥓🥓that soothed it down really well. And rads made us 💨💨💨farty bum bums 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣💕💕✨✨✨shi xx

Hi Lesley
They only intend to keep me in overnight and send me home tomorrow with drain, pain relief etc
The surgeon is happy with me and plan A was followed to the letter so all good.
Time for a snooze now as hubby and son have just gone home
Xx

Well done Carole - time to concentrate on healing and getting strong! Definitely time for a few excess calories!

How long do you think you will be in for?

Sending lots of hugs, love and healing thoughts!

Xx

Hi all

Lesley I know what you mean I was slot happier after first I did get a bit nausea but was due to stiff neck I still had some anti sickness left from chemo so took one which worked fingers crossed you will be ok

Carole I hope you like your new boob 😊😊 and you are resting 

😘😘😘😘😘🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

Oh no, I am so late to the board today that I have to say 'good luck' and 'well done' in one handy message to Carole! I am in awe of your cheer and spirit. I also love, love, love the paper knickers hint. Huge healing thoughts coming your way.

Lesley, your Monday boogie was just the ticket. I have done a full day at work and it was pretty darn good to be back in the world (I was working, but often at home and in a flexible way during chemotherapy). Only a few weeks of working properly until surgery, but it was good for me to do it and I think is a good way to mitigate pre-surgery anxiety.

Sending love and Spring-like waves to the team: JC, HarryFidder, Otter, FM and Anadan plus all who visit the Board less often. xx

Hi ladies
Reporting in from my health spa to confirm that I have my new boob 😊
Was first down which was great so am quite a few hours out of recovery now and have had tea, toast, cake and dinner, not helping any weight loss.
A bit sore and numb but not bad at all.
And no panic I didn't try and but the pants on my head 😂, but I did get a hairnet for my turban.
Time for a nap now, been a busy day. Thank you for all the well wishes 💕💕💕

I know I am being a woose!  But it's the 'fear' of the unknown really, I 'll be fine after the first one.

I'm also worried that because the T didn't bite me on the bum that the rads will.  I've read about instances of ladies getting nausea and upset stomachs from the first one and lasting all the way thru - and there's nothing they can give you - it's not like the chemo nausea apparently!

Fingers crossed it all ok - I'm sure it will be ......... what could possibly go wrong!!

But I will lie there and think of the brave ladies going thru surgery and have a word with myself!!  😍

Hi Lesley

Yes I use the udderly cream as well normally in morning and at night .but the gel is nice and cooling straight after session to cool it all down

SE so far haven't been too bad way better than chemo 😊 mainly it's the tiredness of going everyday and as I have joint pain must the position you are put in

In relation to what to expect the worst bit is them getting you into the correct position as you have to be exactly as you were in the planning meeting so the Canberra a bit of pulling around as you have to let them move you 🙃🙃 I've only had a student once so far and it took her an age but as its a teaching hospital I don't mind as they have to learn she was just moving me out of position as some times it only a very small movement 

The actual treatment doesn't take very long you just have to stay very still while the machine moves round you so a bit odd really like being in a scifi movie 😱😱

Hope this helps but you got through chemo so this is a walk in the park in comparison

😘😘😘😘🤗🤗🤗🤗

Glad it's going ok for you Otter - I will be using my udderley cream - reverting to it's original use..

Really don't know what to effect SE wise and getting a little apprehensive

xx