November 2019 Chemo Starters

Hi

This thread is for anyone due to start chemotherapy in November 2019.  I’m sure others will be here soon but please introduce yourself and you can all help one another through this phase of your treatment.  If you have any questions please post away on here and others in the community will watch over you whilst you are getting started.  Once you are into it you’ll be pretty good at helping each other.  You can also ask the nurses on this forum if you have any concerns.  In the meantime, the top tip is always to stay well hydrated throughout chemo, aiming for 2 litres of water per day.

Here is the BCC guide on chemo:

breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment…

I finished my chemo over a year ago and doing very well again now.  Here is my story which has some chemo tips on how I coped which were collectively shared from others who had gone through the same from this forum: lifeafterlola.com/

Best wishes xx

Hi, I’m actually starting tomorrow but that’s close enough to November.  Just diagnosed late September and they switched recommendations to chemo (from hormone blockers) when scans came back with some lymph involvement.  I didn’t ask enough/a lot of questions about the chemo I’ll be getting when I saw the oncologist, I was too shell-shocked.  Anyway, I start tomorrow.  I’m an American expat living in Luxembourg, I hope it’s ok that I’m on here even though I’m not in the UK, I wanted an English language forum and I’ve been gone from the US for so long that many of the US forums feel a bit awkward.  I’m going to try the cooling cap and have been doing a mild fast since last night.  Seeing my acupuncturist later to calm my a** down so I can go in there tomorrow feeling ok.    It took a lot of mental gymnastics to get my head around doing this.  

Hi, I’m as 45 yr old single mum living with my 13 yr old son. I’ve been referred, tested and diagnosed all in one month.
I had my oncologist appointment yesterday which actually put me at ease. I start chemo in 2 weeks: 4 cycles of EC every 2 weeks then 4 cycles of Docetaxel with Trastuzumab every 3 weeks. I’ve grade 2/3 ER+ HER2+ so the aim is to reduce the size (44mm) before a lumpectomy. 
I may sound like I know what I’m talking about but I don’t it’s just a loads of words & terms I’m copying down!!!
I’m nervous but keen to start rather than be in this limbo. Looking for lots of useful tips on how to get through the next few months.

Wishing everyone the very best xxx

Hi all, I was diagnosed with IDC 3 weeks ago and have my first Chemo on Thursday 31st ?..it will certainly go down as the scariest Halloween Ive ever experienced.  I’m also ER+ and HER2+ and will be having 3 cycles of EC followed by 12 weeks of Taxol, after that all being well a lumpectomy and then radiotherapy.  It’s all really rubbish and I feel really alone with it all as (thankfully) I’ve not had anyone close to me go through this. I too am a bit tired of the “stay strong” “keep positive” comments, I know people mean well.  The weirdest thing for me is I feel Ive lost my identity, people now see me as Northernsky with cancer instead of just Northernsky…and it’s all people want to talk about. I am however very lucky to have people who care so know I shouldn’t be so grumpy! Good luck to all of you with your first session ??xx

Hi I’m Rachel. 

I start chemotherapy on Wednesday, I’m having 3xac then 3xT 

im going to donate my hair to the princess trust-not sure when to cut it though I know it has to be within a week really.

not sure what to do about my eyebrows- I think you can buy eyebrow wigs too ?

im painting my nails a dark colour- I read this helps keep them in good condition

today im going symptom relief shopping-got some boots advantage points so going to take advantage.

yesterday I read some articles on fasting prior to and after each chemotherapy session, is anyone else considering this? 

Best wishes to you all xxx

Hello everyone, I’m new. I’m 49, live and work in West Sussex and have 3 children (16, 12 and 12).

I was diagnosed with invasive lobular cancer, grade 2, ER+, HER2- in breast and 2 lymph nodes. I had mastectomy 4 weeks ago with full node clearance. Breast tumour was 65mm (sounds huge!) and lymph node tumours were 32mm and 14mm. I am due to start chemo in 3 weeks (near the end of the month) - 4 x EC fortnightly then 4 x paclitaxel fortnightly.

I’m feeling really daunted about the treatment… but I’m looking forward to getting to know you all better and I’m glad to have someone to share the journey with.

Lisa x

I am triple negative and started Chemo Thursday. I am 54 and have no known gene relation although family is rife with breast cancer. Because of Triple Negative, the plan is neoadjuvant chemo then bilateral mastectomy, then we’ll see if I need to do something else. Tumor is contained. So I hope this works. I think the anxiety from waiting sent my blood pressure through the roof but now I feel calm and just trying to stay healthy throughout the process. And stay away from Germs! 

The Chemo is 4 x AC every other week. Then Taxol for 12 weeks every week. I’m in the US so it might be different here. I was hit with Neulasta 27 hours after treatment and immediately felt sleepy. I was told to take  loratadine to keep from feeling bone pain from the Neulasta. Saturday was the only sleepy day but Sunday I was up again. I’m feeling like I shouldn’t be feeling this well. I’m wondering if it gets worse as time goes on? 

Minor Symptoms: Gas, bloating, Constipation (I’m taking 600 mg of Magnesium for this - seems to work - didn’t tell doctor), Nausea (eat crackers and take ondansetron every 8 hours for three days then as needed), headache - (take ibuprofen). Felt a little dizzy on Saturday and feel that now and then, like I’m a bit wobbly. I attributed that to the Neulasta but who knows. I also had some hot flashes the first day but they went away. 

They said side effects would hit me 72 hours after treatment and I feel like it didn’t. So I’m concerned. I know that sounds weird. Nothing too bad happened and I am concerned. 

Wondering if it will be worse next time? I was told not to do Cold Cap because AC is so strong no hair can last.

Today is Tuesday, 5 days later, and the worse thing going on today is something that feels like a sinus headache that hurts so much my glasses feel heavy on my face and I have to take them off periodically. 

Doctor wants me to exercise daily and get heart going for at least 20 minutes. Haven’t done that yet but have been walking. He says the busier I am the better it will be. So far he’s right. He doesn’t want me resting! I’m keeping myself quarantined but don’t like not being able to go to the store! Is anyone else taking AC? 

Hi

Starting EC chemo x 4 every 2 weeks on Wednesday, then taxol x 12 every week followed by hercpetin every 3 weeks for…ages, can’t remember how long, I struggle to even listen to what they’re telling me. 

I’m so, so scared. I’m in my early 30s with very young kids and it’s the hair in particular I’m so upset at losing. I have a wig on standby and I will be trying the Paxman cold cap but it just seems like the amount of Chemo I’m getting means total hair loss is guaranteed isn’t it? Really just want some hope that I might keep my hair if anyone has any positive comments. I can even handle hair actually falling out and being bald during the treatment but it’s the time it’ll take to grow back afterwards that really upsets me. I really want to keep my hair ?

I have stage 2 IDC grade 3 HER+ and ER+. Didnt spread to lymph nodes. 

Hi everyone , I think I started a new thread by mistake as I wanted to join this one , I think I may have it sussed now with the help of a champion (thank you) 

i was diagnosed triple negative in October and am due to commence chemo Tuesday 25th so I just manage to sneak in to the group. 

I have been following the forum for a few weeks and have learnt so much from all of you  , I certainly feel a bit more prepared (if you can ever be) so thank you , it feels a safe place which is what I need right now 

love KC