cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November 2019 Chemo Starters

Re: November 2019 Chemo Starters

Hi Chris hope your improving , thinking of you xxxx KC 

Hi Lisa, I think we can take the metrocloprimide for 5 days post treatment- that’s what my prescription label states, however, if after those days your still experiencing nausea then I’m sure it’s fine to continue them. I also take a 5 day slow release antiemetic called Emend one hour before infusion. I’m truly thankful for these little pills and the research that goes into helping manage such effects. My mum had FEC 2011 and was so poorly with it.

Day 4 constipation- now on 4 docusate daily. Same as cycle 1, after a week or so it settles down.

I had some left rib pain during cycle 1 but nothing in the shoulders like others have described.

Ive had some vein tightening in my left arm-chemo arm, it’s a bit like the cording you experience post breast surgery. Been massaging the area with a light moisturiser.  

Main symptoms the last few days has been hot sweats!!! Wow how they’ve upped their game. A little hand held fan has been an essential part of my kit. I’ve never experienced anything like this. I guess I’m in chemo induced menopause.

Hope everyone is feeling a little better today, and the antibiotics kick in to help those with the flu

xxx

B8FB368B-54CF-4A1B-B22E-EF64E2FAE0ED.jpegPhotobombed by my mum! Hi all, I joined the ranks today too thanks to my mum xxx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

❤️November thread ❤️ beautiful photos ❤️ 👍💕💕✨✨Shi xx

I really feel for you Chris. I hope you have plenty of people looking after you and that you feel better soon x

Lovely pic Helen, all of you look great 🥰

Hi Viv and Debs

You beautiful bald women.. I have joined your ranks today as I was moulting all over my Dads house, so my lovely sister gave me a shave. Xxxx15752239295851159845508440158872.jpgFeel like I could be in a Sci fi film!

Hi Chris and KC

Sending hugs... This is the worst bit, so hopefully you will pick up soon. I totally agree about the constipation being one of the worse things.. But it should start moving soon! Really bad luck about the flu... We really are all having chemo at a difficult time of year xxx

Lovely pic Viv, made me smile 😊 x

IMG_20191201_162046_398.jpg

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Chris sending ❤️ Please keep eye on your temp and if you don’t feel right phone rapid response, keep safe ❤️💕💕✨✨Shi xx

KC,

I had wierd aches and pain. My legs and feet one day and all day Wednesday my teeth were so sore!!

I had aching shoulders last time round and really sore breast bone...

Xx

Hello ladies,

I'm so sorry you are feeling so rubbish Chris, can't believe you have flu, hopefully having had the jab means you won't get it so bad...😔. Get better soon..💕

Debs, you look fab, you rock the bald look.

Lisa, so good you are feeling better and will have some normal days before the next lot.

I just get so tired doing anything, cook lunch then have to lie on sofa, go for a walk, go lie on sofa, and so on..I'll be like an 80 year old by the time I finish chemo, ha ha.

At least I've ditched Gaviscon for the time being.

My sister bought me a silk pillow case for my birthday and is is the best present ever as my head seems to feel really hot, even as it's bald. It's very wierd.

Everyone else, too many of you to say all names, have a lovely Sunday 

Xx

Awwww Chris so sorry that's rough , sending a (((((HUG ))))) get better soon 

Lots of love KC xxxx

Hi ladies

well just spent 4 hours in A&E as feel terrible, head banging sinuses all up, green phlegm yuck and god the headaches, ended up in bed at 9 o,clock last night as felt so bad and didn't sleep so phoned the help line this morning, the nurse told me to go to get seen. 

Have had the lot blood tests, swabs from mouth and nose, ECG and chest x ray, Only turns out I have got the flu great and I got the flu jab before starting chemo, just shows you. 

They made me sit with a paper mask on whilst I was waiting for all the results.

Have ended up with antibiotics in case any bacterial infection there as well. 

Well ill that's me off to bed for a few hours,enjoy the rest of your day, what ever your doing 

💕💕💕

Lovely pic Debs 😍

Hi KC,

I hit rock bottom days 6 and 7 and can honestly tell you it gets better quite quickly after you’ve hit the low.

Re. the constipation, now they’ve prescribed something hopefully it will get moving quickly too. I didn’t have the shoulder thing, but I know my mum did (years ago when she was on chemo); when I see her next week I’ll ask her about it.

I’d also say, if you can eat, eat! I was so nauseous I could hardly eat anything and I think it made my mood and energy levels even lower.

You’ll be feeling better before you know it xx

Hi All my first EC was Tuesday so feeling bit low today , nausea hasn't been much of a problem they gave me something different to met for 4 days , I now have the metoclopramide if I need it took one this morning , I have been floored by the silliest thing , constipation !!! Its been 5 days, it's like my insides shut down, got something prescribed now  but had a major meltdown yesterday over it , today's symptom is aching , specifically shoulders , anyone else feel like that ?? Plus I want to eat and dont want to eat if you get my drift lol yeah bonkers I know what this stuff does to you. Taking the lead from you girls great to know things get better 

Thank you xxx KC 

D8D5202A-5920-4FC2-A444-C1997477B755.jpeg

Rocking the nearly bald look Cycle 2 day 5

Lovely new knits Debs 🧶😊

Well dome on bald shopping Viv - I actually just meant to type well done, but I like the well dome mistype better 😂

You are fab! 

Day 10 today and I felt pretty ok yesterday so am much happier knowing I’ll have some good days as well as the bad. 

Like you Rachel, I have been taking metroclopramide (3 times a day since day 1). I’m too scared to stop as the nausea was so bad. I think I might need to check with the nurse if it’s ok to be on it continually, as they didn’t give me enough for my full 14 day cycle. I’m on EC; what’s everyone else doing to cope with the nausea?

Hi Ladies hope everyone is doing ok.

I had my second round of EC on Thursday. So far all has been better than the first one. Experienced some stinging and discomfort  in my arm during treatment (the red one) a warm wheat bag helped with this. Used the cold cap again. Hair has been shedding though, mainly single strands not clumps, I’ve found platting it helps-seeing it on your clothes constantly gets annoying.  

steroids.... my chemo nurse suggested taking the Dexe steroid as early as possible in the morning eg 6am with something to eat, to help reduce indigestion and heartburn, so I’ve been taking mine with porridge then 4 hours later take the next dose. I’ve been sleeping better than the first time with taking both doses before lunchtime .

nausea... I’ve been taking metoclopramide 10mg 3times daily with a light snack. It’s helped this time.

constipation- yeap it’s back, I take 2 docusate sodium tablets at night everyday, the day before chemo I take an extra one at lunchtime and continue this for the week until everything is up and running again. Senna causes abdo cramps for me, got fibre gel as back up.

happy Saturday everyone 

Rachel xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Senokot, movicol and lots of anosol 😳😲😳were staples during fec part of chemo for us oct17 lot. I used to have chemo Thursday and would start taking senokot on the Monday after for about 3 days to just help stop the blockage 😳😲👍 when you switch to t, that can have opposite impact and it’ll be out quicker than usain bolt can do the 100 meters, so you have to up carbs to try and stop the 🌪🌪🌪botty. I don’t know if any of you remember the Malcolm mclaren double Dutch video, but chemo journeys a bit like that, you just jump and twist and keep bouncing as best you can through 😘💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Great adventure- bald shopping...think I am going to be there soon (I am definitely starting to moult slightly).

My Ladygarden decided to half fall out today...how strange that should be the first hair to properly exit my body! I think you had the same thing, Debs? Not sure if it is a silver lining or not. I cant swim at the moment, so I don't have the advantage of making sure I do my bikini line!!

By the way Debs, I cant believe how amazing and prolific you are at knitting. I will have to show my crochet efforts soon- the shame !(when I actually finish something rather than nearly finishing multiple things!).

XXX

Well done you, so proud of you cx

Oh Debs, they are cute. I really need a hobby!!

Ladies, I did it...

I went supermarket shopping, I was so hot I took my hat off!! I did it bald and I did it like a warrior ( well maybe more like a slow shuffling short bald middle aged woman, ha ha)...

Xx

14E641FD-2B4E-447D-8243-C0D10508429A.jpegAnother 2 Santa bunnies

7D906B4A-D630-4D40-8E48-628D40F22F0D.jpegFor twins

B7FA3EFD-D79C-4287-B692-943CBB33B6A9.jpegMy tea cosy based on the logo

C2959EDC-652D-4ABD-9F67-9BD94B297455.jpegOur school logo

Some more of my makes, finished this week, have an order for another bear and a hungry caterpillar cardigan, hat and bootee set x 

Hi Chris

I got steroids iv on the chemo day then for 3 days so they finish today .so expecting a dip tomorrow, the assessment nurse blamed them for my heartburn , so it's a real trade off with these things ,so sorry your having a low day , I'm not feeling great totally off kilter I wake with such a start which isnt normal for me , I'm ordinarily a poor sleeper but this feels different , chin up few more days and we should be picking up and remember that's first one done and dusted xxx KC xxx

Hey Viv, I think that's the same pill I got. 😩, I was out of my mind really, my brain was so foggy. 

Oh Chris sorry you’re feeling so rotten, hopefully it does pass soon

i had blocked salivary glands for 5 days I looked like I had the mumps on one side. When I rang the helpline they said keep checking temperature and as long as I could swallow to just take paracetamol and warm compresses with lots of massage. It hurt to chew I stick to weetabix and porridge xx 

Morning ladies

well and truly feel like **** this morning sleep was ok with the aid of a sleeping tablet, but have now got a cough and my glands all up in my neck. So another day in chemo land, ah the bliss. My temperature ok so think it will have to just be paracetamol and rest for me, might start watching something's I have recorded. 

I was only given steroids for two days and think they have well and truly worn off. 

Hope you all have a better day, one step at a time but we will get there

Sending hugs 💕💕💕

Hi All 

I gave in this morning and rang the unit re my heartburn and constipation ( didn't mention that before) as I had such a bad night with the heartburn despite sitting up most of the night , and I'm approaching day 4 and dont want to be hysterical with it by the weekend ,they were great told me the heartburn is aggravated / caused by the steroids and they will sort me some meds for both , the food is going in albeit small amounts and it just isnt coming out !!! Not sure where it's going have tried liquorice beans, loads of fluids and fybogel  lol perhaps my body is in a bit of shock lol I know I certainly am 

Thanks again for listening everyone your support is invaluable  💕Kc xx 

Morning everyone, sorry you guys are struggling with sleep, def the steroids. I took some pill they gave me at night (1/4) which acted as antinausea and sedative. It did help sleep but made me very woozy.

I have so far eaten prepacked meat roast beef sandwiches, pink steak (by mistake, it was dark), parmesan (who knew that was a no no??), prawns.

I really do avoid pre packed salads. A pal of mine works in Microbiology and food and he has always said that salad (especially lettuce) is one of the biggest causes of food poisoning... so am thinking about my Big Mac still...maybe with no lettuce?

I was given no food advice, just to avoid 'live' food like soft cheese live yoghurt and to make sure everything was cooked well. Oh and careful with fresh berries.... 

Think of all if is 'just in case' advice. Stuff that has higher risk of bacteria I guess. So normally you'd be able to cope with a bit of bacteria, now you might not..

Citrus fruits...depends on you, gives me worse acid so avoid but can't imagine why not?

Lisa, no change in meds or dosage. Maybe my body was ready for the shock this time round. Hope you feel better soon. 

Hope you get some sleep Debs 

Xx

Thank you Viv x

Good to know the second time was a bit better - did they adjust your dose or side effect meds?

I’ve not managed to go out last few days, but staggered the 3 feet from bed to window so I can at least stick my head out and get some fresh air!

I have 8 cycles, every 2 weeks, so 16 weeks in total.

Lisa x

Thank you Helen x

That makes me feel less alone, although obviously rather none of us had to do this.

I enjoyed the “silver lining” stories (you and Debs had one), they made me smile. My silver lining today was finding a thick black hair growing on my thigh and leaving it there 😂 (my hair hasn’t started to fall out yet).

Thank you Chris x

Hope you had a better night last night and fingers crossed for a good day today.

Lisa x

Thank you KC x

I think the carbo taxol might be similar/same as the paclitaxel that I’ll be switching to after first 4 cycles. I’ve heard the nausea isn’t so bad, which is what I’ve been really struggling with.

Hope things ok for you and the heartburn gets better soon.

Lisa x

Thanks KC and Ruthie

so dad I’m being good but did take prepacked sandwiches to the hospital as our appointment was over lunchtime but put it all in my cool bag as I would for work. 

Maybe ignorance is bliss Ruthie, you didn’t know you shouldn’t have it. 
Like you KC I’m hoping to enjoy the odd prawn or two over Christmas xx we shall see. 

Hi Debknits 

I've been awake to with this dratted heartburn on an off all night not thinking the steroids might not be helping , the eating thing , I was also given a similar list of things to avoid pre packed sandwiches , pate , shellfish, soft cheeses  soft eggs funnily enough no one mentioned grapefruit but my stains make me avoid them but it seems my nice Christmas treats are out with pates, shellfish etc , I think it's all the stuff they warm pregnant women to stay away from due to it's possible high bacterial load sometimes . Its such a minefield I'm hoping the odd prawn at christmas will be ok but I think I will be day 6 of next cycle so maybe I wont be bothered , any way hope you managed some sleep  ,I'm taking my fitbit off as I dont need to be told I had such a rubbish night lol 

Take care 💕 KC 

Hi there debknits. Sorry your having to join the wide awake on steroids club but it won’t last forever - honest!

i finished my chemo in October but I ate whatever I wanted all the way through as I wasn’t given any guidelines or info to say otherwise. I’ve since found out that ate, did and went to, every thing that’s others were told not to!

Now I may have been very lucky but physical side effects weren’t too bad, I certainly didn’t suffer as most seem to do, whether it’s because I constantly unknowingly challenged my system I don’t know, apart from being anemic and the odd low neuts etc which didn’t really manifest in any way, I carried on as normal, worked and played more or less as normal.

so whilst I’m not telling you to ignore advice given to you, I was fine eating everything I wanted to, I even had grapefruit juice every morning which is apparently a big no no! 

Morning V

I'm so sorry, I was exactly like you beginning of the month, the waiting was really mental torture for me. I believe you will feel better once you have started. I could barely function due to the mental effect of the waiting. I feel ok now and it wasn't as bad as I expected, I feel anxious again as the 2nd one approaches but one day at a time and we will get there. 

Morning all been awake on and off since 1.11 am assuming it’s the steroids ! 

Any way I was thinking about food as I often do lol. I’ve had so much conflicting advice 

don’t  eat salads or  ready prepared ones, I love the chicken mango pasta salad bowls from Asda. The same with ready prepared fruit. 
Only eat salad or fruit you peel

Eat citrus fruit- don’t eat citrus fruit 

Yogurts and frozen /defrosted berries was a favourite 

now I don’t know if I should have it or not. 

Any thoughts ladies ? 
Any brands of foods you’ve carried in with x 

Hi Viv

That is reassuring that things might be better the next time around..I just assumed that things would get gradually worse with each cycle.

I am not looking forward to food tasting like mouldy cardboard again..

Vaneysha- I really think the wait is causing so many problems for you- the sooner you start and get round 1 under your belt, the better.

XX

Vaneysha, we will be here, cyber holding your hand through it all 💕

Ok guys, there is hope, KC, Chris and Lisa. This time 1st time round I was in my bed feeling awful. Tonight, same Day 8 after chemo 2, I cooked and ate roast chicken dinner...and it tasted good. It does get better...😀   (Gaviscon for pudding)

Seriously no way was I doing that last time.

Please say that gives you hope

Xx

Thanks KC. I'm already a wreck so it makes the looming chemo all the more daunting knowing how i already am emotionally. I simultaneously want it to start so it can be done, but also don't want it at all, so I'm a total mess. Depending on which hour of which day you ask, I'm either keen for it to be started already or sobbing in a dark room and wanting to die. No one wants chemo but I hear everyone saying everyone's experiences are different, so the fear of the unknown for someone like me (total Type A) is probably the worst bit, and the only way to get through it is by pushing through. 

Hi Vaneysha 

So sorry you are struggling with this , it's so difficult when you are so scared,  try to draw strength from others around you and your health professionals . 

Thinking of you 💕KC xx

I suck a mint usually something long lasting like a humbug in the day and stick to the antacid at night. Rest after eating little and often, and sip slowly. When it was at its worse I sat propped up in bed rather than lie down.

I got an antacid on prescription 

I got horrific heartburn with my three pregnancies and always took Rennie...is that a thing for chemo? I was popping rennies like smarties in each of the final trimesters. 

I've had a really bad day today after the slight boost yesterday about chemo regime being amended, today I crashed hard again because I don't want it at all, I'm so scared of it. GP tomorrow where I'll have another meltdown I expect. I think I start on Wednesday... I'd like to stay on this group though as I was supposed to start in Nov and I like you peoples!! 

Thank VivMc 

Got the normal gaviscon so will try the advance , think I can get zantac over the counter so will send hubby out ( ha has his uses bless ) 

Thanks again xx KC 

Milk is slightly acidic so wouldn't help...try the advance Gaviscon 4 times a day and see if it helps. If not, pgobe team and get names of the orher pills...

Xx