341919posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

November 2019 Chemo Starters

Highlighted

Re: November 2019 Chemo Starters

I am having 8 cycles with normal chemo drugs then 18 cycles with herceptin, targeted treatment. Not sure if I could cope with keeping it dry for a whole year....i guess if veins stop working that would be a option. With HER + they recommend chemo before surgery. Also my tumour is 6cm so pretty huge... so shrinkage def best option and treatment suppposed to reduce risk of reoccurring...

Anyone else started chemo?

Viv xx

Highlighted

Reassuring about the PICC..thanks .

I think they put them in so the drugs can go straight into a larger vein and they don't have to get a line in each time. If you do have problems with this during your chemo perhaps you can request it?

My friend said to wrap it in cling film before showering!

I am having 6 cycles as an adjuvant therapy as I have a high recurrence score. I think quite a few people on here are having chemo to shrink their tumours prior to surgery, as obviously lumpectomies mean less surgery and better healing.

Highlighted

Hello,

re PICC line.... i had one put in for my 12 weekly chemo sessions....paclitaxel and carboplatin.

i was dreading it but actually the numbing injections were more uncomfortable than the procedure,  took about 45 mins.   Had no problems with the picc right thru my chemo.

you can buy picc covers for your arm on ebay and they keep everything nicely covered and in place.

just ask if you need to know anything else,  good luck with picc and chemo.

what type of bc and what is your treatment plan ?
mini mad xx πŸ’–πŸ’–

Highlighted

Hi everyone, it's a rainy day up here in Scotland. I've been dozing all day, think anti sickness drugs are making me extra woozy...

I was never offered a PICC line, is that because you have more frequent treatments Flou? 

Yes GP never mentioned pneumonia jab either but I'll take anything if it reduces chances of infection. Ordered my beanie hats today...

Viv xx

Highlighted

Hi all, 

It’s a rainy weekend perfect for relaxing - hope you all have a restful time xxx

Flou xxx

Highlighted

Hi All

Hope all those who have started are still going well, and getting through it.

Good idea about pneumonia shot- I just got the flu jab, and didn't think to ask.

I have finally got the letter telling me about when I will start.

PICC line is going in on 13th, and FEC will start on 15th.

What is the PICC line insertion like?

I tend to get really nervous before things- and then they never seem that bad in reality!!

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hope you are all doing well and getting into chemo-mode.  I just wanted to mention that if you set up your own private group elsewhere please stay here for public discussion.  The reason I ask this is because I know from experience that for every person chatting in the group there are others watching but may not pluck up the courage to post a message.  Some people will watch for a while and join in later so for these people your conversations are really important.  Xxx

Highlighted

My nurse recommended having a pneumonia vaccination before or during cycle one for extra proection, I'm going to get one from GP before next treatment.

I went to have my head shaved on wednesday, down to a No 3 so I could control my hair on my own terms. It helped me psychologically and thought it might prepare my kids for next stage

😊

Highlighted

Goid luck for Monday Jippy 😊. You've got this...

Highlighted

Hi Flou,

Better today. Had to go for pelvis Ultrasound and ECG and both fine 😊. Had a Neulasta injection after so hoping helps my immune system although one of the side effects is bone pain. The nurse told me alot of people have an ok week, then a downer week then a better week before next cycle. I feel very woozy but reckon that's also the antisickness meds too. 

When do you start yours? Who is next?

Viv 😊

Highlighted

Hi Jippy. What is the reason for your Chemo? Like you I have already had my surgery, so the Chemo came as a bit of a shock after my Oncotype score.

Hope it goes well- I have been told the FEC is easier to tolerate than the Taxol- so hopefully we are starting with drugs that are easier to tolerate (fingers crossed!)

Highlighted

Hi Flou

That would be great to meet sometime- perhaps we all need to think about setting up a WhatsApp group that is more secure and private, and easier to log in to!!

Highlighted

Hi,

How did you get on yesterday?

xxx

Highlighted

Hi Viv,

That’s one down πŸ’ͺ🏻
How are you feeling today? xxx

Highlighted

I started Chemo today, just lying on my sofa feeling woozy and a bit dopey. I feel like I am waiting for something to happen 😬

Highlighted

I start chemo on Monday I've already had 2 surgeries. I'm having EC fortnightly for 4 rounds followed by Taxol fortnightly for 4 rounds. Not looking forward to it as I react badly to a lot of drugs. So will be glad to have Monday behind me.

Highlighted
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Pre loved not preloaded πŸ™„sorry text gremlins πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx

Highlighted
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

For wigs your local Macmillan’s have range of preloaded wigs for a donation. Also loveyababes have great selection too (not just fancy dress ones) I ended up happier in a Β£14.99 one than the real hair one that cost a lot of money. Also you might have some shops about that sell extensions, they usually have a good range of wigs too πŸ‘and don’t forget a tinsel wig for Christmas πŸ‘ got to keep your humour πŸ˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx

Highlighted
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Just a gentle reminder everyone these threads are open to the world to read and view, do be careful how much info you are giving out about where you live and work etc. Just want to keep you all safe β€οΈπŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx

Highlighted

Thansk SHi- there is some very useful advice there!

I was about to get happy with the clippers but I may wait until after my first chemo.

Best wishes

Helen

Highlighted

Hi Helen, 

I’ve bought a couple from eBay as they were more affordable but have also got cotton caps to wear underneath them. I’ve also gone for hats/beanies and scarves.

Apparently the microblading can be done up to a week before treatment starts but earlier the better - I’m just glad I found out in time!

I work in Thurmaston but live in Oadby, I’ll send you my number if you ever want to meet up for a (decaf) coffee & chat xxx

Highlighted
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

For any of you with hair long enough please look at donating your hair to little princess trust ❀️They make wigs for children and give them free. It helped me that I could at least make use of my hair before chemo gave me my Chucky egg head 2 years ago. A silk pillowcase is gentler on head and a scalp care kit from beauty despite cancer were useful too. You won’t loose hair till after 2nd fec. It starts to shed around day 13. Take it one treatment at a time, keep the fluids flowing and all plan a meet up when you’ve all done all your treatments, it give you all something to plan for and it’s lovely when you all meet up. I was oct17 chemo thread and we had a weekend in London ❀️ Hang on everyone and get each other through safely. If you feel strange but no temp call your rapid response. If you get temp phone rapid response, they don’t mind they want you through safely. πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx

Highlighted

Hi Flou.

Where do you work? I am at DMU..they are being totally fantastic which is one less thing to worry about.

I am Vegan anyway and love to exercise..so that will stay the same! No keto for me! I have also cut alcohol but not caffeine (not sure if I can!). My partner has been suggesting going raw...but not sure as weather is so cold.

I also am getting the flu jab today..which I would never normally bother with.

Wow...microblading is v organised...is it safe 're wound healing before chemo? I have very dark eyebrows so will look freaky without any!

I am also think of getting a number 2 haircut and not bothering with cold capping. I have bought some extra woolly hats and am ordering some head wraps.

Apparently in Birmingham we get a wig voucher...anyone got a wig yet?

Highlighted

Hi Helen,

I live and work in Leicester! Small world!

In preparation I've cut out alcohol, caffeine and red meat - all the goodies! I'm going for microblading after being recommended as they won't do it once treatment begins.

I've been looking into the Keto diet but am hearing mixed reports, there's so much info out there it's a mission deciphering what's what!

How about you?

Flou xxx

Highlighted

Hi All

I am 45 and have 2 girls..17 and 21. I am from Cumbria, but I live in Birmingham and work in Leicester!

Looking forward to speaking with you all through our Chemo journeys. A friend recommended this board to me, so I am hoping we can all share the tips and horrors of this very strange experience that we would rather not be having. 

I had a mastectomy on 5th September  for stage 2, grade 3 pleomorphic lobular carcinoma (er+, HER-). I thought that may be it, but my Oncotype score came back as 39, so I will be getting 3 rounds of FEC, 3 rounds of Tax over the next four and a half months. I am expecting to start on 15th Nov...just waiting for the envelope to plop through the letterbox.

Good luck to everyone starting this week.

How has everyone prepared? 

XxHelen xxx

Highlighted

Sending all my positive vibes to everyone starting tomorrow- you got this xxx

Highlighted
nmm

Thank you!  That made me smile Smiley Wink

Highlighted

Hi Northernsky,

I start Chemo on Thursday too, wishing you lots of luck and let me know how you get on 😊

Highlighted

Hi Northernsky,

Good luck for Thursday xxx

Let us know how you get on xxx

Highlighted

Hi nmm,

Day one done!

Sounds like you did great! Xxx

Highlighted

Hi Viv,

We’ll get through this - day by day. It will be great to have friends here who β€œknow” what I mean.

Good luck for Thursday & let us know how get on.

Flou xxx

Highlighted

Hi Flou,

Sorry for your diagnosis and sending lots of positive thoughts. I too was diagnosed wirh HER + 4 weeks ago, my lump is 6 x6.5 cm, Stage 2 as hasn't gone to lymph nodes ( that scared me more than anything!) and am starting EC chemo on Thursday hoping to shrink before having lumpectomy in a year. I am having the same treatment as you but 3 week cycles. I am 50, have 2 kids, 12 and 16 and am terrified for them...happy to share tips and experiences as reckon we will be going through this at th same time. A pal of mine who went through this 5 years ago is still in contact with the people she met through this forum and said it helped her alot..

Viv 😊

Highlighted
nmm

I'm a single mom too - two boys - 19 year old is away at university in France and 16 year old still lives with me.  I had my first treatment today and it went ok - MUCH better than I had anticipated.  I wore the cooling cap and gloves to preserve hair and nails etc and the cap was super easy to manage.  The gloves were literally freezing but they tell you to take your fingers out when it's too much, let them warm up and put them back in.  So I did that, stayed covered in blankets, listened to guided meditations and drank herbal infusions.  I came home and had a reiki session with a friend and now I'm just resting.  The treatment for me (HOrmone positive - for both - HER2 neg) is also to reduce the tumor and treat lymph nodes prior to surgery so they can save the breast. 

Wishing everyone well <3

Highlighted

Hi all, I was diagnosed with IDC 3 weeks ago and have my first Chemo on Thursday 31st πŸŽƒ...it will certainly go down as the scariest Halloween Ive ever experienced.  I’m also ER+ and HER2+ and will be having 3 cycles of EC followed by 12 weeks of Taxol, after that all being well a lumpectomy and then radiotherapy.  It’s all really rubbish and I feel really alone with it all as (thankfully) I’ve not had anyone close to me go through this. I too am a bit tired of the β€œstay strong” β€œkeep positive” comments, I know people mean well.  The weirdest thing for me is I feel Ive lost my identity, people now see me as Northernsky with cancer instead of just Northernsky...and it’s all people want to talk about. I am however very lucky to have people who care so know I shouldn't be so grumpy! Good luck to all of you with your first session 🀞🏻xx

Highlighted

Hi, I’m as 45 yr old single mum living with my 13 yr old son. I’ve been referred, tested and diagnosed all in one month.
I had my oncologist appointment yesterday which actually put me at ease. I start chemo in 2 weeks: 4 cycles of EC every 2 weeks then 4 cycles of Docetaxel with Trastuzumab every 3 weeks. I’ve grade 2/3 ER+ HER2+ so the aim is to reduce the size (44mm) before a lumpectomy. 
I may sound like I know what I’m talking about but I don’t it’s just a loads of words & terms I’m copying down!!!
I’m nervous but keen to start rather than be in this limbo. Looking for lots of useful tips on how to get through the next few months.

Wishing everyone the very best xxx

Highlighted

Hi,

I guess this is me!! It's all been a bit of a shock and bolt out of the blue. Went from thinking I was perfectly ok and life was great, to being diagnosed with breast cancer, surgery and as of yesterday being told chemotherapy is the next bit of the journey. all within less than 2 months.

Not really sure how I feel at the moment. I don't seem to have had chance to digest everything that's happened. 

Little fed up of people telling its all ok and I'll be fine. I'm sure they are probably right, but it just doesn't feel like that at the moment. Think I'd just like people to admit its all a big pile of poo!!

Ali

Highlighted
nmm

Hi, I'm actually starting tomorrow but that's close enough to November.  Just diagnosed late September and they switched recommendations to chemo (from hormone blockers) when scans came back with some lymph involvement.  I didn't ask enough/a lot of questions about the chemo I'll be getting when I saw the oncologist, I was too shell-shocked.  Anyway, I start tomorrow.  I'm an American expat living in Luxembourg, I hope it's ok that I'm on here even though I'm not in the UK, I wanted an English language forum and I've been gone from the US for so long that many of the US forums feel a bit awkward.  I'm going to try the cooling cap and have been doing a mild fast since last night.  Seeing my acupuncturist later to calm my a** down so I can go in there tomorrow feeling ok.    It took a lot of mental gymnastics to get my head around doing this.  

Highlighted
Community Champion

Highlighted
Community Champion

November 2019 Chemo Starters

Hi
πŸ‘‹ 

This thread is for anyone due to start chemotherapy in November 2019.  I’m sure others will be here soon but please introduce yourself and you can all help one another through this phase of your treatment.  If you have any questions please post away on here and others in the community will watch over you whilst you are getting started.  Once you are into it you'll be pretty good at helping each other.  You can also ask the nurses on this forum if you have any concerns.  In the meantime, the top tip is always to stay well hydrated throughout chemo, aiming for 2 litres of water per day.

Here is the BCC guide on chemo:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment...

I finished my chemo over a year ago and doing very well again now.  Here is my story which has some chemo tips on how I coped which were collectively shared from others who had gone through the same from this forum: http://lifeafterlola.com/

Best wishes xx