Re: November 2019 Chemo Starters

Sending all my positive vibes to everyone starting tomorrow- you got this xxx

Highlighted

Thank you!  That made me smile 😉

Highlighted

Hi Northernsky,

I start Chemo on Thursday too, wishing you lots of luck and let me know how you get on 😊

Highlighted

Hi Northernsky,

Good luck for Thursday xxx

Let us know how you get on xxx

Highlighted

Hi nmm,

Day one done!

Sounds like you did great! Xxx

Highlighted

Hi Viv,

We’ll get through this - day by day. It will be great to have friends here who “know” what I mean.

Good luck for Thursday & let us know how get on.

Flou xxx

Highlighted

Hi Flou,

Sorry for your diagnosis and sending lots of positive thoughts. I too was diagnosed wirh HER + 4 weeks ago, my lump is 6 x6.5 cm, Stage 2 as hasn't gone to lymph nodes ( that scared me more than anything!) and am starting EC chemo on Thursday hoping to shrink before having lumpectomy in a year. I am having the same treatment as you but 3 week cycles. I am 50, have 2 kids, 12 and 16 and am terrified for them...happy to share tips and experiences as reckon we will be going through this at th same time. A pal of mine who went through this 5 years ago is still in contact with the people she met through this forum and said it helped her alot..

Viv 😊

Highlighted

I'm a single mom too - two boys - 19 year old is away at university in France and 16 year old still lives with me.  I had my first treatment today and it went ok - MUCH better than I had anticipated.  I wore the cooling cap and gloves to preserve hair and nails etc and the cap was super easy to manage.  The gloves were literally freezing but they tell you to take your fingers out when it's too much, let them warm up and put them back in.  So I did that, stayed covered in blankets, listened to guided meditations and drank herbal infusions.  I came home and had a reiki session with a friend and now I'm just resting.  The treatment for me (HOrmone positive - for both - HER2 neg) is also to reduce the tumor and treat lymph nodes prior to surgery so they can save the breast. 

Wishing everyone well ❤️

Highlighted

Hi all, I was diagnosed with IDC 3 weeks ago and have my first Chemo on Thursday 31st 🎃...it will certainly go down as the scariest Halloween Ive ever experienced.  I’m also ER+ and HER2+ and will be having 3 cycles of EC followed by 12 weeks of Taxol, after that all being well a lumpectomy and then radiotherapy.  It’s all really rubbish and I feel really alone with it all as (thankfully) I’ve not had anyone close to me go through this. I too am a bit tired of the “stay strong” “keep positive” comments, I know people mean well.  The weirdest thing for me is I feel Ive lost my identity, people now see me as Northernsky with cancer instead of just Northernsky...and it’s all people want to talk about. I am however very lucky to have people who care so know I shouldn't be so grumpy! Good luck to all of you with your first session 🤞🏻xx

Highlighted

Hi, I’m as 45 yr old single mum living with my 13 yr old son. I’ve been referred, tested and diagnosed all in one month.
I had my oncologist appointment yesterday which actually put me at ease. I start chemo in 2 weeks: 4 cycles of EC every 2 weeks then 4 cycles of Docetaxel with Trastuzumab every 3 weeks. I’ve grade 2/3 ER+ HER2+ so the aim is to reduce the size (44mm) before a lumpectomy. 
I may sound like I know what I’m talking about but I don’t it’s just a loads of words & terms I’m copying down!!!
I’m nervous but keen to start rather than be in this limbo. Looking for lots of useful tips on how to get through the next few months.

Wishing everyone the very best xxx

Highlighted

Hi,

I guess this is me!! It's all been a bit of a shock and bolt out of the blue. Went from thinking I was perfectly ok and life was great, to being diagnosed with breast cancer, surgery and as of yesterday being told chemotherapy is the next bit of the journey. all within less than 2 months.

Not really sure how I feel at the moment. I don't seem to have had chance to digest everything that's happened. 

Little fed up of people telling its all ok and I'll be fine. I'm sure they are probably right, but it just doesn't feel like that at the moment. Think I'd just like people to admit its all a big pile of poo!!

Ali

Highlighted

Hi, I'm actually starting tomorrow but that's close enough to November.  Just diagnosed late September and they switched recommendations to chemo (from hormone blockers) when scans came back with some lymph involvement.  I didn't ask enough/a lot of questions about the chemo I'll be getting when I saw the oncologist, I was too shell-shocked.  Anyway, I start tomorrow.  I'm an American expat living in Luxembourg, I hope it's ok that I'm on here even though I'm not in the UK, I wanted an English language forum and I've been gone from the US for so long that many of the US forums feel a bit awkward.  I'm going to try the cooling cap and have been doing a mild fast since last night.  Seeing my acupuncturist later to calm my a** down so I can go in there tomorrow feeling ok.    It took a lot of mental gymnastics to get my head around doing this.  

Highlighted
Community Champion

Highlighted
Community Champion

November 2019 Chemo Starters

Hi
👋 

This thread is for anyone due to start chemotherapy in November 2019.  I’m sure others will be here soon but please introduce yourself and you can all help one another through this phase of your treatment.  If you have any questions please post away on here and others in the community will watch over you whilst you are getting started.  Once you are into it you'll be pretty good at helping each other.  You can also ask the nurses on this forum if you have any concerns.  In the meantime, the top tip is always to stay well hydrated throughout chemo, aiming for 2 litres of water per day.

Here is the BCC guide on chemo:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment...

I finished my chemo over a year ago and doing very well again now.  Here is my story which has some chemo tips on how I coped which were collectively shared from others who had gone through the same from this forum: http://lifeafterlola.com/

Best wishes xx