November 2020 Chemo Starters

Hi

This thread is for anyone due to start chemotherapy in November 2020.  I’m sure others will be here soon but please introduce yourself and you can all help one another through this phase of your treatment.  If you have any questions please post away on here and others in the community will watch over you whilst you are getting started.  Once you are into it you’ll be pretty good at helping each other.  You can also ask the nurses on this forum if you have any concerns.  In the meantime, the top tip is always to stay well hydrated throughout chemo, aiming for 2 litres of water per day and get a thermometer and check your temperature every day.

Here is the BCN guide on chemo:

breastcancernow.org/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment-breast-…

Here’s an excellent article for anyone concerned about hairloss. That’s pretty much everyone starting chemo: pinklotus.com/powerup/breastcancer101/chemo-hair-loss-and-menopause-hair-too/

Here are some apps which can help to keep you on track: 

breastcancernow.org/information-support/support-you/becca

nhs.uk/apps-library/owise-breast-cancer/

careology.health/

I finished my chemo in October 2017 and doing very well again now.  Here is my story which has some chemo tips on how I coped which were collectively shared from others who had gone through the same from this forum:

lifeafterlola.com/

If you decide to set up a private group its good to stay on here also during treatment as I know from experience there are some people who watch but don’t immediately pluck up the courage to join in.  Your conversations can be a real comfort to others.

Hi I’m finally having my first apt with the Oncologist on Monday so I’ll probably be an early Nov Chemo starter. It’s been a long wait since finding the lump in lockdown then 2 X surgeries first one was August with Lumpectomy inc. full axillary clearance with 9 lymph’s positive, ER+ Hers- ILC with some IDC, then again for margins. I’m not sure what will happens at the first Onc apt but I’m keen to get started which seems strange but I’m thinking the sooner I start the sooner I’ll finish ready for summer (hopefully with hair) The surgeon said we’re treating it aggressively which was a bit daunting but said we’re throwing everything we have at it. I was ready mentally for Chemo but the bone injections every 6 months has come out of the blue. He said my Onc will go through my treatment plan and to get any questions answered etc but I’ve not thought of any questions to ask it’s like going into the complete unknown . I’ll be back with my dates to start and hopefully there’ll be others starting around my times xx :two_hearts: :two_hearts:

Hello everyone 

Im new i hope im posting this in the right place 

Im starting nov 3rd

Hi my name is Clare

i was diagnosed with breast cancer last week - I’ve got tests still to be done but I’ve been told I’ll be starting chemo in November, 5/6 months Chemo then surgery and hormone treatment after. I turned 50 last year and wasn’t expecting to start this decade battling cancer. My head is all over the place and I’m so scared it’s not going to be treatable. I’ve got a second ultrasound tomorrow on my other breast as the mri has showed something and CT scan a week on Saturday. 

Hi - I’m starting chemo Nov 9th. I am Her+/HR- having 6 mo chemo before surgery then more chemo. I am late 50s, married with a 15 year-old daughter and 2 cats.

I am resigned to losing my hair but as someone else said - much more shocked abut possibly losing my nails! I have ordered some Polybalm - I’ll try it and see.

I just got my schedule today so I’m feeling a bit relieved - the waiting is very stressful. I have a low bar for good news these days.

I work PT and will just see how I go - hoping I keep keep going until surgery. 

I’ve been very anxious about treatment but it’s happening and I think I’ve just exhausted my fear response. I’m doing it the other way around to some - Herceptin first then EC.

I remember when I was pregnant I was in an online group due in the same month. This is rather different but sort of familiar…

Hi

I hope I’m posting on the right forum! I’m 64, married with two children and three grandchildren aged two, one and 6 months. In February this year my routine breast screening appointment was cancelled due to Covid.  I was invited back at the beginning of August which revealed a 13mm tumour. Following surgery at the end of September to remove a 25mm tumour, and 5 Sentinel lymph nodes I discovered that I had grade 2 cancer ER and Her2 positive but lymph nodes were clear.  Starting Herceptin targeted therepy (18 sessions every 3 weeks) together with Chemo (12 x weekly) on 11th November following insertion of Picc-line. Feeling calm and positive at the moment but reckon my anxiety levels will increase dramatically nearer the date! Don’t think I will go for the cold cap as I’ve already had my hair cut extremely short and purchased some beanie hats in preparation! It’s a small way of me taking control! NHS has been absolutely amazing, feel so grateful for everything which is being done for me whilst knowing that my chances have been increased for a successful outcome by having targeted therepy for the HER2 - this is clearly one of the things research has achieved.  Glad I’ve found this forum as I don’t know of anyone who has had BC and an feeling a bit isolated. 

Hi there,

had my oncology consultation yesterday and first session in a couple of weeks.

I’m 51 and have triple negative, one lymph node removed and clear (lots of you had several nodes removed - whys mine only one?) lumpectomy to remove 30mm G3 lump and margin is clear. 

I’ll be having FEC-T programme. Thanks for sharing your experiences ladies, it’s really helpful and I’ll be checking in regularly over the next 5 months. 

I’m coping pretty well except for terrible back pain that I’ve had for a few weeks since the last surgery. It’s very likely to be acute sciatica, following lots of niggling episodes over the last few years and set off by rolling me around during the surgery - but having it scanned just in case. 

I don’t think I’ll have the cold cap, it seems you lose some hair whatever, so I’d rather go all or nothing and lose and then regrow my hair. 

all the best! 
ps I am a girl despite the name Felippe- this was my sons’ choice of a username

Hi ladies

my chemo starts on the 19th - still another week but I have a date at last. 
Signed my life away … all the side effects explained to me blew me away a bit :tired_face: but it’s got to be done. Eventually got my CT results so no other cancer - big relief 

I’m starting on FEC for my first 3 rounds then 3 of a different kind ( can remember what at this moment in time)

are you ladies taking your temperature everyday? I’m a hypochondriac at the best of times - I’m going to have to really change my mind set! 

love and strength to you all … my chemo will take about 18 weeks - I’m going to plant some bulbs today - when they are out this part of my treatment will be over :crossed_fingers:

Hi, 

I had breast cancer in in my right breast in 2017, when I had a lumpectomy,  licap and radiotherapy therapy. It has returned with a vengeance. I was diagnosed 18th September, in my right breast again,  so I’ve gone flat and have since discovered that it as leapt to my left breast. I am starting chemo on Thursday 19th. I’ll be going flat on the left side after the chem has finished and probably having radiotherapy, depends on the chemo results. 

I am nervous but do want it to start.

Hi I’m brand new to the forum and feeling totally defeated!

I should have started chemo on Friday last week but they couldn’t find a vein so now having a port fitted in my chest tomorrow with chemo starting Wednesday. That’s not why I feel defeated. 

I feel like I’m on a rollercoaster I can’t get off with the only options being the recommended treatment. I’ve looked into lots of alternative treatments but there’s no support for them in the UK and no results to see if they actually work. I’m married with two children and feel overwhelming guilt like I have to do all the treatments for my families sake despite the possible long term effects it has on health.

Sandra x

Hope you are feeling  a bit better Ellie. I also went back into hospital 3 days after first chemo. I’ve had a lot of drug reactions, been pretty poorly and dread future sessions. I think the feeling ill also makes me emotionally lacking in resilience - much more weepy and wet than usual. I could smack my own self round the chops some times.

It is indeed the price of life though. I also looked into all the alternatives - I am a biologist by training so went to the original research - and it’s clear that this is the road even if it feels like it’s making me sicker in the short term. And you can only have long term consequences if you live long term. I have a daughter - I keep her in my mind whenever I feel like I don’t want to take this road - and I do feel that quite a lot. I am not one of those gutsy types who will grit their teeth to anything to survive. part of me would like to just give up. It feels like such a long time too when you are at the start.

But I won’t give up. My favourite advice is - you don’t have to be brave or strong - you just have to show up. That’s me - I am not brave and cheerful about it - but I will do it and one day it will come to an end (my treatment runs to Xmas 2022, chemo, surgery, chemo). 

Hi ladies 

just back from my first treatment - all went smoothly and they let my hubby too as it was my first one.

Relieved to be home but nervous as to what my body will throw at me over the next few days. A little overwhelmed by the bag of meds … for someone who never really took anything ( paracetamol at a push) it’s hard to get my head round. How can you go from walking around feeling fine to this??‍ :female_sign: I’m still struggling with this tbh. Anyone here managed to get any counselling? Did it help?  my local Macmillan don’t have anyone at the moment who can help. 

anyway 1 down And hopefully it will start to do it’s job… that’s what I’m trying to focus on

And taking it a day at a time… another thing I’m not good at ?

I woke up feeling pretty normal today after feeling lethargic the past few days since first EC on Wednesday although my tongue feels gross! I’ve noticed a few stabbing pains under the arm where the three lymph nodes were removed and in the breast where the lump was removed. I liked to think this is the chemo killing off the remaining cancer cells. Then this morning I feel like my lower back is literally about to go!! It went doing Joe Wicks workout during lockdown and it feels exactly like that is about to happen again! So now I’m worried that there’s cancer at the bottom of my spine what with the stabbing pains in the cancer sites! I think I’m getting paranoid!! I had a ct scan which was clear but this is really low down at the back of my pelvis. 

Hi all, im Kati, new to posting. I was diagnosed with breast cancer end of August and have had 2 surgeries, one for the lump and sentinal nodes and then 4 weeks afterwards for lymph clearance. I had my first chemo last Monday and luckily havent had any side effects as such so far but i have noticed that the last couple of days i feel as if there is a ‘lump’ or some discomfort when swallowing. Is this anything to do with the chemo does any one know?  thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Shi, will do :slightly_smiling_face: xx

Hi, I’m Ali and very late to join the thread

I started FEC-Docetaxel-Trastuzumab treatment on 18th November.

After being violently sick with my first treatment, my antisickness meds were changed & apart from hair loss I haven’t really had any side effects.

I’ve had to give myself filgrastim injections throughout which I find difficult (mentally) but have got on with it and kept pretty much upbeat throughout.

I had my 4th cycle including Herceptin on 20th Jan and it has bloody floored me. I was fine for 2 days after but then just about every ailment kicked in one after the other & here I am 10 days later feeling worse than I did on any of the previous cycles.

I’ve gone through the aching bones, kidney pain, stomach cramps, constipation, diarrhoea, mouth ulcers and am now sat here with a burning rash which has turned to blister in places. 

Is anyone else experiencing this? Am I normal?

look forward to some feedback :slightly_smiling_face: