Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November 2020 Chemo Starters

423 REPLIES 423
MayC

Re: November 2020 Chemo Starters

Hi Feline!

I looked in last week, and meant to post... then wandered off to do something else...and then didn't 🙄

We're all heading towards the 'end' of this, aren't we? (as much as it ever ends)

I'm due my last 'normal' radiotherapy session today, and then 1 have 5 boosters next week, so I'll be done this day next week. Which is...I'm not sure how it feels actually. I had a call from the Radiotherapy team yesterday, to discuss that, and other aspects of my treatment, and just said how surprising it is that, that, is , pretty much, that! I have a phone call with Chemo Oncologist on 9th Aug, and I should be due to have a call with the Radio Oncologist, about the same time, and then I think it's down to yearly scans. It does seem odd, especially as the last 10 months have been so intense, and then there's....pretty much nothing. Also, because my tumour was Triple Negative, a few weeks (never mind months) could make a difference,

That said, I think not having a diary revolving around medical hospital appt will be quite refreshing. And I have had 2 short trips away recently which were a breath of fresh air. And..... I'm still trying to get some ESA now my SSP has run out. By the time that happens tho, the time this is taking, I think I will actually be starting to head back to work 🙃

Hoping everyone's doing well. I'd be interested to know those that are nearing the 'end', how does it feel, how are you managing it?

Bigs Hugs All 🤗🤗🤗

Felinefriendly

How is everyone

Im on my 2nd week of radiotherapy

Xxxx

fionafayker

been November 2020 Chemo Starters

Its been a while since I posted.  Had my 2nd mastectomy this morning,  currently in recovery, will be going home today!

Seeing surgeon next week to have dressing changed/removed. My hair is growing back really well, no patches, some eyelashes and eyebrows, but need to colour in brows, getting good at that.

I'll be having radiotherapy   3 weeks of 5 sessions, no dates yet, as don't have appointment with radiotherapy consultant until 18th June! 

My Ssp runs out next week,  so really only July on 1/2 pay, hoping to go back to work in August,  phased return and hopefully a day or 2 working from home after that. 

Hope everyone is doing well! xx

MayC

Hi All, just realised it's been over a month since I posted! Been qute a busy one....

I had my lumpectomy on 26th April, which went well. In and out very quickly. Scar's healing up well too. I met with surgeon last week who seemed almost disappointed when he said 'we couldn't find anything' (!) and said he considers me 'cancer free'. Quite a moment.  👌

I met with another Oncologist yesterday to discuss radiotherapy, and have agreed to 5 sessions with, probably 3, boosters. She said, almost in passing, tbh, 'complete response', which was amazing to hear. There wasn't a question about radiation - I'm Triple Negative, so it's standard, but having the boosters was borderline. I'd said I'd like to do everything I can to reduce the risk, so Oncologist said 'in that case...' I'll probably start in 3-4 weeks, 10 days treatment, and then, Oncologist reckons, 6 weeks recovery before getting back to work. But, 'see how you feel'. 6 weeks would be good! I'll go back to work just as the schools break up, which does suit me.

I've also managed to have my hair cut and coloured. I kept seeing the 'you can't have your hair cut or coloured unti 3/6 months after chemo', tho I didn't understand why. I asked my BCN, she referred me to my hairdresser. She had a look at my hair and was quite happy to colour it, less then a month after finishing, and it hasn't fallen out or gone green or anything! I guess it does depend on what stage your hair growth is at, and what condition it's in. What I have in the head hair department, I do NOT have in the eye area though! My eyebrows are still there, but very thin, and my remaining few eyelashes buggered off a couple of weeks ago. I am learning to work with false eyelashes and brow pencils/crayons!

I've also applied for ESA, as my SSP will run out in about 3 weeks. Hopefully I won't need it for too long, if I get it in the first place that is...🙄

So we're all heading to the end of this bit of the journey, aren't we? I'm not sure if ever really 'ends' tho, as I know the worry of reocurrance will always be there. My Mum-in-law is a 3 time breast cancer survivor, and has been great through all of this for me. She says the worry IS always there, but it does lessen over time. Here's hoping!

Lots of hugs to you all 💜💜💜

ELLEGEE77

Hiya.

My treatments over now (triple negative), so trying to put my life sort of back together.

Trying to rid some of the chemo weight, but have extra ache's and pains in my knees.

I have neuropathy in my feet mainly which is so irritating, really hate the feeling of it, goes through me if I touch them.

Not sure if going through menopause, discussed with my Dr as I find my oncologist isn't helpful at all and don't have much faith in him, all started at my first visit when I had to tell him I'd already had BC, he had no clue, then wouldn't believe the chemo I had. 

My nails are a mess, but are growing out, so hopefully in a couple of months they will at least look like normal nails.

My head hair is growing steadily abd I have very short eyebrows and eyelashes yay.

I think for us all this is the hard part now, moving on post cancer, I know some of us are still having treatment or preventative procedures due to having one of the genes, but it feels like a waiting game. I have been here before and the first few years are the worst, every lump, bump, ache or pain is a worry, but it does ease with time. I can't have mammo's now, so just 6-monthly appointments for 5 years, I do want reconstruction but god knows when that will be. I'm going to do nursing in September, so I'm hoping all being well I will be a nurse in September 2023!! This has been a very long time coming. 

You've got me through some of those dark, rubbish chemo days, so thank you.

Good luck to you all. I don't really like the expression 'warriors' , but we are fab and got through the dreaded poison!!!

Lou xxxxxx

charlotte3112

Hi Ladies I’ve not been on here for a while I think life just took over. It looks like we’re all finally seeing the end of treatments, it’s been a journey I wouldn’t want to do again. I’ve finished my radiotherapy I had 5 intense sessions instead of 15, apparently it’s a new study that the benefits are the same but over a shorter period of days. I’ve also had my first Bone infusion every 6 months for 3 years, all good apart from major bone aches for the first week so with that and the Letrozol I felt about 90🤣. But now apart from taking a while to loosen up in a morning I’m feeling great. It’s great to hear you’re all coming to the end and starting to slowly live normally again. I’m due to have a mastectomy with DIEP later this year, not to treat the cancer as I had a lumpectomy but to reduce my risk because I’ve the BRCA gene so it’s by choice. So I’m getting fit and ready for it. Hope you’re all enjoying the new covid freedoms and getting out and about 🌞😃xx

Felinefriendly

Hi everyone

Im going to planning appointment this friday about radiotherapy, been told it will be 15 sessions , its not at my local hospital so will be travelling back and 2 for 3 weeks.

I have been doing the school runs again and getting out a bit more although have to say feel pretty tired still after doing my normal household jobs ect, ive definitely slowed down, bones and joints ache a bit too and seem bit stiff,

Scars healing up well, i had lumpectpy and 3 nodes taken out.

Still having some neuropathy in hamds and feet.

Feeling grateful but taking things slower and trying to avoid any stress

Good to hear feom u, i still come on here and read the posts to see how everyones getting on ❤️👍🥰

🙂🌈🌺💫

marblecake22

Hi everyone 

I was thinking the same thing - quiet on here. I hope everyone is doing ok?

I had my planning appointment this morning for radiotherapy and if all goes ok should start 1st June. I’m having it done at a different hospital ( I’m midway between that one and the one where I’ve had the bulk of my treatment) I have to say the consultant explained things better than anyone else has up to now and I feel a lot more positive than I did a couple of weeks back. She explained how cancer can spread through lymph nodes, what route it could take and where they target and why - I’d been left feeling that I could be totally riddled with cancer by my surgeon . Wondering if I should have gone there all along as I had the choice🤷🏻‍♀️  I’m still well aware I’m high risk of it coming back -I’m not kidding myself but how it’s delivered makes such a difference. I got a little goodie bag too! 
I’m still getting tired - not sure if it’s still after effects of chemo or the letrozole or both🤷🏻‍♀️
hair is coming back fast - pure white pretty much so rocking the wigs for a bit longer! 

love to everyone 

clare xx

aqua76

Morning everyone. 
All been a wee bit quiet - everyone doing ok?

im now 3 weeks post mastectomy. Doing ok actually. Still doing my physio exercises but my mobility is pretty good

Saw the surgeon on Saturday who said margins on tumour were clear and of my 7 lymph nodes left (did everyone else know chemo dissolves lymph nodes???) it was only in one. Very pleased about that. He also said that I wouldn’t need radiotherapy. But am also still waiting to speak to oncologist post results as have a feeling she will suggest radiotherapy to be on safe side. 
then also have 14 more treatments of herceptin to deal with. 
After the struggle they had trying to find a vein for the anaesthetic am thinking on asking about alternatives. Thought of more pain and bruising getting a cannula in just makes me want to cry! 

anyway, hope you are all well and feeling bit more normal post chemo x

Jojo1447

Hi

I went for my results last week.

Surgeon was pleased as chemo had done its job and shrunk tumour, the tumour was removed with clear margins.  The lymph node removed however could not be cleared as showed scarring, they could not say if this was old scarring from the initial biopsy or scarring from cancer cells which they chemo had zapped.

He gave me the option of blasting the arm and shoulder area with radio therapy but said this could cause future scarring to my lung, or go back in and remove another node for testing which has not previously been biopsied, obviously if this showed something i would still need the radio therapy.

I know i have to have the rads to the original tumour area but if i can avoid the additional area i thought that was that was the best option so back in for day surgery this Friday.  Think i've made the right decision i would have always wondered if not???

Smilodon

Hi there

Got my pathology back this morning. Residual tumour (with clear margins thankfully), which I already knew from the MRI - but also 7 positive nodes. I was expecting it so not shocked although it wold have been great if they were clear (they were clear on the last MRI). So I will be going onto a new targeted chemo, TDM-1 (or Kadcyla) which was approved last June for people like me with residual Her+ after treatment (previously it as only used on mets so now it's for high risk of mets, which makes sense). Commiserations to others who also have not got a clear response. Game is far from over yet.

S

aqua76

Well 11 days after surgery - saw the surgeon today for checkup and pathology results. 

bandages off, he’s happy with how I’m healing and has no concerns 

results weren’t back unfortunately. He sounded very positive. Pathologists couldn’t find the cancer? Not sure if that’s a common thing. Sounds like a good scenario to me. I’d I might not need radiotherapy too!

But am reining in the happy feelings until we get the actual results and the oncologist tells me what I need/don’t need! 

still getting weird pains in my armpit but trying to do all my physio and keep arm/shoulder as mobile as possible. 

I still hAve a years worth of herceptin injections to deal with but kinda feels like I’m on the home stretch! (Apart from ten years of tamoxifen etc, follow up scans, checks etc!!)

jomich50

Hi Marblecake

I am sorry that  you were feeling down about your results.   I am expecting a similar result after my Mx on Wednesday.   My final MRI showed excellent response to the breast  but although my nodes have shrunk, they were still swollen so was gutted and they give you normal what ifs, worse prognosis, and was in shock a bit as been positive through Chemo plus it has worked just not totally.

I won't know fully until pathology and I also have multi focal, and one is grade two (nearest to nodes) and one grade 3, both currently Triple negative too so no targeted therapy.     

I would recommend if you are struggling is ringing Macmillian nurses, they are fab, and they put things into perspective for me, and they also partner with BPA and funded some counselling and I am having an assessment next week as my negative thoughts are there now. 

I think will all worry about this bloody disease whether we get PCR or not, and its so tough, and don't beat yourself up as your nurse said chemo hasn't not worked not grown either so that is positive.      I also read alot of the american sites, and so  many women with grade two don't get PCR and live a long life.

Such a crappy business this cancer and emotional rollercoaster and it is worse after any results and waiting, plus oral chemo is option after and has great results and if you are hormone positive lots of options.

Good luck Jo x

aqua76

Evening all, how are we all doing? 

That’s me one week post surgery now. Was released the following day, drain removed and sent home with a party bag of drugs and some physio exercises. 
Managed everything fine Wednesday and Thursday then on the evening, doing my exercises I had a horrible snapping pain in my armpit. I honestly thought something had burst inside or through my skin. Rushed to bathroom to check in mirror!! 
since then I’ve continued to get these really stingy pains whenever I move a certain way. 
upped my painkillers (hadn’t needed any post surgery) and it seems to have dulled things a little bit, either that or I’m getting more used to the stinging!!

Appointment with surgeon on Saturday to check healing and hopefully I’ll get my pathology results in the next few days from oncologist too! 

Feeling so much better than I expected too! Even have managed to get some work done when I thought I’d be out for a few weeks at least! 

Love to all xxx

marblecake22

Hi 

I spoke to my BCN again yesterday and she explained it all so much better so I feel a bit brighter now. The chemo did do some good so it wasn’t all in vain. My tumour was a mixture of grade 3 and 2 and it had obliterated the grade 3 parts. There was also evidence it was working on the lymph nodes. It’s common for tumours to be a mixture of grades but they never know this until it’s out and looked at. This isn’t how the consultant explained it and it makes me feel a bit better. The consultant was very much if this comes back that’s it but my BCN says as my cancer was oestrogen positive there’s loads of treatments so not necessarily the case. Also she has had women in much worse situations than me never have a reoccurrence and others with less and it has🤷🏻‍♀️ I’m hopefully being referred to a more local hospital for Rads as they don’t do it where I’ve had the bulk of the treatment so I’ll have another Oncologist for that - hoping that they are more communicative than my current one. I hadn’t been told what grade mine was until this week! 
Suns out and it’s a long weekend - I hope everyone has a restful one

xx

charlotte3112

Sadly it’s a rollercoaster we can’t ever get off! Ask questions and pin your Onco down on treatments moving forward. If you have any unusual aches or pains anywhere not just in the breast area that you can’t explain ask for a CT scan your Onco or GP will arrange usually on a fast track. Your team will be super vigilant now so don’t ever think you’re wasting their time 💕

aqua76

This is the big scary thing I think. 
they can look at all the scans but sometimes it’s not until they take it out and examine it they get a clear picture of what the true situation is. 
things can show on scans that turn out to be normal, and things can be there that didn’t show on the scans. 
Some lumps react, some don’t. 
Just try and  stay as positive as you can. They are all doing their very best.

X

marblecake22

Hi Charlotte

thank you for your positive words - seems like we are on almost matching treatment plans

im feeling ok this morning - feel like there are still questions unanswered - I really felt I was led to believe everything was working really well so I feel angry. I guess they don’t really know until they analyse it under a microscope. But initially after my first chemo the oncologist said she couldn’t even feel the lump and was really pleased - it’s such a rollercoaster. 

charlotte3112

Hi Marblecake22

• sorry to hear the chemo didn’t work as well as you’d expected. I’m also a high risk for reoccurrence with 10 positive nodes out of 22. I’m just doing my radio to neck and chest the 1st one was today (Im actually pleased to be started on my rads which is super sad 🥴🤣) then Bisphosphonate infusions for 3 years to ward off reoccurrence in the bones along with the lovely Letrozol 😫 which tbh I’m managing ok with.  My Onco said although I’m higher risk she’s personally had many ladies with heavy lymph positive go way past 15 years!! Bc we’re high risk they tend to throw everything at us. I knew with 10 lymph’s it’s not the best diagnosis but I’m glad they’ve found them and they’re out!! I hope you don’t have a 3 hour round trip but remember those rads are super strong and it’s zapping anything still lurking around! It’s hard now but come summer ☀️we’ll look back and think physically it was tough, but really how did we get through it mentally because we all think the worst, especially at the 3am hot flush or 4am wide awake club 🥴 Keep us posted on your rads you can do it - I’ll be thinking of you 💕
aqua76

Sorry to hear that - it must be tough knowing that all the crap you went through with chemo wasn’t quite enough. 
try and stay positive though, you are in good hands and the Drs will be doing their very best for you. 
We are all here as well sending you lots of love and positivity. Xxx

marblecake22

Hi ladies 

I had full mastectomy and aux node clearance and all in one incision - I asked the surgeon and she said they do it all via that - glad everyone’s surgeries are going ok - I had Canula dramas too! 

been for my results today and I’m struggling tbh. Chemo didn’t work as well as it could - some reduction but not all gone. That hit me hard after all I’ve been through with chemo. 6 of the 10 nodes they took had cancer in them

Got to have rads but more ‘ involved’ as they need to target nodes in my chest and neck - hoping for our local hospital but might have to go further which will mean a 3hour round trip. 
I start on meds tomorrow too 

consultant has told me I’m high risk of reoccurrence - still reeling although I kinda knew it was never good re lymph nodes

im feeling pretty crap right now x

aqua76

I got the nurse to check

they did do the full clearance but must have done via mastectomy as well. 
that’s good. Was expecting not to be able to move shoulder much but all ok. 
Assume I might still have physio exercises to do to stop lymphodema etc

getting drain out today and going home at some point 🙂 

Feeling so much better than I expected to 🙂

ELLEGEE77

I had a mastectomy and full clearance, they went in my mastectomy incision, altho mine come quite a way to the side.

Hope you feel OK xxxx

aqua76

Can I ask where you had bandages relating to your node clearance? 
I was in for partial mastectomy and axillary clearance. 
I have one dressing across my chest and a smaller one on my side where the drain comes out. 
nothing at all in armpit and I can move my arm relatively well

surgeon did mention lymph nodes looked ok after he came to see me but confused as to how he has taken them out with no incision at the armpit?!?!

Smilodon

Glad to hear you came through surgery OK Aqua. I've also been really stressed about the  surgery!

I had mine last Thursday - and also had problems with the cannula (as always) - that was the worst bit!

I stayed in overnight and the surgeon took the drain out the next morning (good riddance!).

It's been OK - so far so good. Arm is sore and stiff - to be expected after the node clearance and bit early to know how that will settle. Just hope I don't get any of the common issues.

Got my dressings off yesterday - so weird to see my new boobs I can hardly take it in. Now waiting on the pathology report 😯

S

aqua76

Hello everyone!

hooe you are all doing ok x

I had my mastectomy today. In hospital, watching tv and feeling ok actually. 
Was first up this morning, bit of a worry when anaesthetist asked if I was having both boobs off!! (No no no!!!)

Then they had about 4 goes to get the cannula in, no luck, so ended up having gas via a mask and they used ultrasound to find a decent vein. Felt like a pin cushion!

was crying in the pre op room though. But have been fine since waking up 🙂

surgeon happy with how it all went. Said the lymph nodes looked ok when they came out so he’s hopeful it hasn’t spread up further. Fingers crossed 

I’ve got a drain in, he says can probably come out tomorrow and I might be able to go home

Am so glad it’s over and I’m feeling ok. Have been stressing big time over this x

catt57

Hello smilodon,

I do hope your surgery went well for you today , when I had both of my breasts operated on they gave me a block, so that helped apart I didn’t know when I needed the loo....lol but all went well in a fashion.

you will find it tireing, even just sitting but do look after your self and get well soon.

Catt57 xx

catt57

Hi FelineFriendly , 

im pleased your opp went well  and I do hope you have someone to look after you, as like from now until the end of your rad or chemo you will be in need of a friendly face, I do hope your children are coping well, but I’m sure they will be having fun.

so hopefully all has gone well and no need to go back in for a scrape, fingers crossed you will have an easy chapter of what happens next, I wish you well and you get plenty of rest and don’t over do things rest is good, even when you get your  rad after about day 4 you start to feel tired no energy. It’s an exhausting time for you so rest is the best, you will also find you don’t have much of and appetite but it dose get better, it just we are all different in our healing process but I wish you well shall chat later,

Catt57

Jojo1447

Morning smilodon 

I am exactly the same re the drains but to be fair I’m a needle phobe so it’s really the thought of anything piercing my skin I think lol no idea why can’t say the needles have ever hurt or made me pass out I am getting better having had to go through this I just thank god I had a picc line for the chemo lol.

you ll be fine, I’ll be thinking of you, let us know how it goes xx

Smilodon

Thanks JoJo

I bought a zip up hoody for this very purpose. I'll take my smart dressing gown that I hardly ever wear 😊 and one of my many beannies.

Just the word 'drains' makes me feel faint 😱

Must remember to practice my anti-lymphodema exercises,

S

Jojo1447

Hi Smilodon

I just wore some jogging bottoms and t shirt with a zip up hoody.  They asked me to change into their gown and asked if i had a dressing gown with me.  i didn't take one so they gave me one of theirs to cover my backside lol, so take a dressing gown if you can.  As soon as i was back on the ward they said i could get changed if i wanted back into my own things.

I was quite surprised that they let me wear my wig for the surgery, as long as they know they say its ok, so i would just check im sure they will let you wear something, soft cap if its comfier for you.

I was told they try not to use drains but you sound like you're having quite a lot done in one go so yours may be different.

Good luck for Thursday, let us know how you get on.

jomich50

Hi 

surgery date is 12th May just had call single Mx and full node clearance any advice or tips ...

just ordered post surgery bras decided on delayed recon as may need oral chemo as may not have have complete response although was excellent just nodes still showing swollen .. it’s such a emotional ride this 😫 xx

Smilodon

Sounds good Jojo! I'm being admitted 7 am Thursday but I know my surgery isn't until the afternoon - my first thought was how hungry I would be by then!

I'm having lumpectomy, reduction mammoplasty (no more old granny boobs) and complete node clearance - so a bit anxious about so many bits of surgery all at once but rather get it all done in one go.

What did you wear - could you get a coat on? I'm expecting to have drains 🤕 Not keen on going bald in the hospital - I like to keep my hat on if nothing else.

I already know I'll be on Kadcyla (TDM-1) for 10 months after this (already know it's not a complete response) - anyone else?

G

Jojo1447

Hi MayC

Had the op on Friday.  I was admitted @ 7am daycase.  Went to surgery at 12 and was waking up at 1.30pm shouting at the staff because i was starving lol... they took me to recovery for half an hour then moved me back onto the ward where they gave me tea and toast.

I had a long wait via pharmacy meds as surgeon had prescribed incorrect dosage for my weight for meds to take home and he was still in surgery.  I could have been discharged at 4pm but didn't get out until 6.30pm so a long day.

Little bit sore first night, but on Saturday i started the exercises and i am amazed by the range of movement i have.

I know i have to take it easy but back to working at the dining room table this morning.  Didn't want to go off sick or use my holiday days want to save them for when all this is over and i can go out and enjoy myself.

jomich50

Hi ladies so I finished 21 weeks of chemo a few weeks back starting to feel more like me. Had a call with oncologist with follow up letter to doctor on Monday which has thrown me. My final MRI shows complete response in breast ( it was multi focal in total 55mm) but only modest response to armpit although it has not grown and has reducEd. I am aware that she can’t really call this from a scan only surgery will confirm PCR after pathology and that has been fast forwarded so seeing surgeon Monday. i am triple negative too. She did say this is very unusual ( trust me) but they will test nodes as could it be that it started as ER+ cancer. Very confusing left me worried, confused and just want surgery now. Any similar stories welcome ! Xx

marblecake22

Hi All

hope you are all doing ok?

op yesterday - all gone smoothly and as nice as the private hospital was I came home last night... I just wanted my own bed and to be with my family ... I found it hard doing it all on my own.

I had a full mastectomy and aux clearance - not sure how long I was out for - couple of hours I think. Being knocked out was ok but I was very dizzy for a long while when I came round - that was the worst of it though.  I’m amazed how small the bandage is and just over the counter pain killers😳 I’ve not got any drains as the surgeon said ‘ they went out with the arc’ 🤷🏻‍♀️I’m a bit swollen and sore - already got my appointment for 28th for results - I think I’m more nervous about that than anything 

being spoilt rotten now home - my daughter got me a bell for when I need anything😂

take care everyone - we are all so brave.. I have to say I’ve been uncomfortable with that adjective until yesterday .., I really had to dig deep💪🏼

love to all xx

Smilodon

ttyler - that's interesting thanks. I'm an FF so could really do with some tidying up!

MayC - I got a couple of post surgery bras from M & S. They seem OK but impossible to really know until you try them after surgery. I think radiation is not usually more than 3 weeks.

S

MayC

Morning All, sounds like we're all cracking on with treatments....

Jojo1447 - Good luck for tomorrow - will be thinking of you. I had the SN biopsy before I started chemo. If you're anythuing like me, you will likley be left with a blue boob I'm afraid! And for quite a while, I've read several YEARS in some cases. Something for us both to look forward to, eh?! 

Feline - Hope you're recovering well and not too sore. Gentle Hugs🤗

Aqua - Good Luck for 27th too🍀

MarbleCake - And..... Good luck for today! Let us know how you get on when you feel up to it. 🍀🍀🍀

So, I got the results of my MRI a few weks ago, and all is good. I was told my tumour has 'melted away' (cue visions of The Wicked Witch of The West...'melting' ) so chemo has done it's job. So relieved, as you can all imagine. 😍

I finished chemo last Tuesday, and had the PICC line out. Feels odd seing my arm without a canula/dressing again! I did a gift basket for the chemo team with fruit AND chocolate, which I named the 'Saint Or Sinner' basket. It seemed to go down well, and I think it'd been broken into before I'd even got my cold cap on. Something about Nurse's breakfasts! I said to a few of the team, 'I'm hoping to never see you ever again', to which they all laughed and agreed....Where else could that ever be an appropriate conversation?! Another seeingly 'normal' (but so not) thing about this whole process!

Went to see surgeon yesterday (14th) and have a date for my lumpectomy surgery of 26th April! I wasn't expecting anything til mid May so that was a surprise. I will need a guide wire, which has to be done at one hospital, and then I'll need my mate to drive me to the other hospital for the surgery. Nothing like a bit of logistical planning to make the day interesting.... I actually feel 'safer' (covid wise) at the 2nd hosp, so I'm glad the surgery is happening there, even if it is a pain in the rear. 

On top of all this, Hubby is due to be in hosp for a knee op on 21st, and will likley be in for at least a week. Probably a good thing, as at least I'll just have myself to worry about for a few days after my surgery. And, of course, I turn 50 on the 28th. So, not QUITE having surgery on my birthday, but pretty damn close!

I had my 2nd covid jab (Oxford/AZ) last weekend too, which I'm pleased about, but I was really rough with it. Similar side effects to the first vaccine, but more intense and lasted longer. Achy too, but wierdly, really sore knees...!

The surgeon confirmed I will still need radiation, whatever the pathology comes back with, so that's another 'process'. Not sure how long that'll be, but not looking forward to every day for 6 weeks, if that's what it turns out to be. 

I've cold capped all the way through, despite loosing loads after 4 EC's, and I now actually have some good growth. My BCN was amazed at how much hair I actually have. But I hate the grey! I'm using a Loreal Root spray thing, but not that keen. Has anyone been told how long you should leave it before dying your hair, and/or what products to use?

Also, any thoughts on post surgery bras?! I've seen people recommend TU as some good ones, but I can't work out the sizing...🙃

It's all moving on for us, isn't it? And with Spring on the way...🌼

For now, All the best ladies...and lotsa hugs too!! 🤗🤗🤗

ttyler
Community Champion

Hi Felinefriendly friendly,

Glad your surgery went well and you are not feeling too unwell. I myself had pain and bruising, felt like I had done 12 rounds with Mike Tyson, but much easier in comparison to the chemo.

Jojo, I myself are not good with needles and although it is a little sharp when they inject the dye it is quick so not too bad. I also found that I was nervous about surgery before my therapeutic mammoplasty, but honestly it was fine. I walked into surgery because I had my op on the 9th April last year right in the middle of the pandemic. They put a cannula in and then gave me some medicine (pre med) I think that made me feel drunk. A lovely man Stood at the side of me holding my other hand and explaining the process as the anaesthetist administered the drugs. He asked me what I would normally be doing on a Thursday morning to put me at ease and before I knew it I was asleep. Not sure about anyone else, but it was an amazing sleep, which I was surprised at as I had not imagined this with all the worry and stress I had been having with the whole cancer situation and diagnosis. I did not wake up on the operating table as I thought I might, it was amazing to be fair. When I came around I felt a little sick and they gave me more  anti sickness right away, but I think this was more to do with me never having had an anaesthetic before.

I went down for surgery at 12:30 came out at 6:30 ( I am big chested an F cup and my surgeon is a perfectionist so wanted to get my uplift spot on!) and was discharged at 7:55, just in time to see the emergency service vehicles line up outside the hospital for the NHS clap. It was a lovely thing to experience, that in what I thought was a bad situation. In fact I am not sure if the Cancer diagnosis has made me more appreciative of things now because I can honestly say that I have met some lovely people and had some lovely experiences whilst going through this journey.

To the lady that has asked about the uplift in surgery ( sorry read your post after editing this one!) I had the lump removed and an uplift to my right breast. I have to wait for another 6/12 months for an uplift to the other side as my surgeon is quite rightly now only doing cancer operations and no corrective surgery. The choice is completely yours, but had I been offered a double uplift I would have taken it. Although I have a prosthetic to put in my bra, my brother gets married in December and I am hoping to go away in the summer and wearing a swimming costume and a strapless bridesmaid dress is proving difficult with my chicken fillet as I call it 😂

Anyway enough about me. Hope everyone has a lovely day in the sunshine ☀️ 

take care all, love ❤️ Tara xxx

Smilodon

Hi there

I'm also approaching surgery - Apr 22nd. Lumpectomy and node clearance. Has anyone opted for a reduction across both breasts at the same time? I'm dithering as it would be good in the final outcome but I'm so nervous about surgery and don't want any extra. 

Also, after surgery I'll be on Kadcyla for 10 months as I have residual Her2 tumour after chemo (so we already know it's not a complete response without waiting for surgery pathology)  - anyone else talked about that option? 

Hope everyone's surgeries go smoothly!

S

Jojo1447

Hi

My lumpectomy is tomorrow day surgery.

Been told i need to get there for 7am and can be discharged anytime upto 10pm.  Hope its sooner rather than later.

Have to say i am getting scared now, not bothered me up to now but i know its the next step.

I am a real needle phobe and got to nip to appointment today to be injected with the dye to show the nodes they are removing (2) for biopsy, so feel sick and will do until that bits over i dare say.

Glad you re felling ok and hope the appointment in 2 weeks goes well.

Take care

Jo x

Felinefriendly

Hello everyone

I had lumpectomy on monday and biopsies of sential node

I had it at 2.30 and was hime for 6pm

Been doing my excersies what they give u, had some pain but had coidene for it and paracetamol, had a bath today and took sticky bandage of.

My girls have stayed at there auntie for this week which is a blessing as its still week 2 of easter hols, so ive been taking it easy xxxxx ❤️❤️❤️❤️

2 weeks ill next appointment with dr xx

aqua76

Hope everything goes ok tomorrow for you Clare x

Positive thoughts for you. 

I have my surgery on 27th so less then two weeks. We are escaping to the Lake District in Saturday so hoping a week of walking and fresh air and quality family time will be just what the Dr ordered. 
then I have to isolate for three days prior to surgery so that will be me. 
It’ll be here in no time. That scares me.

Think I’m generally quite a strong person but the thought of having a boob lopped off gives me the fear. 😞

marblecake22

Hi everyone 

I was thinking the same - been quiet on here 

surgery for me tomorrow ... I’m bricking it and want it done in equal measure!!

hope everyone is ok? 

clare xx

aqua76

Morning everyone

How are things? Are we all ok? 

xxx

jomich50

hi

i had the Gene testing at start and was negative I think it depends on age and type ( am triple negative with some family history ) 

I am also likely to have massectomy early may apt is 27.4 to discuss and any advice great too thanks xx

Felinefriendly

Has anybody requested the gene testing?

I had a video call about it today said they try get blood test feom when i have my surgery on Monday 12th

Can take up to 3 months for results x

aqua76

Anyone who had a mastectomy first, what sort of things to I need to start thinking about/planning for? 
Im now booked in for Tuesday 27th April 

Will freely admit to being **bleep** scared about how i’ll cope with loosing a boob. Am only 45. 
but also know that my end goal is to still be here for years!! So will do whatever necessary. 

In other news, we had some much needed family time yesterday and escaped to the coast. Definitely my happy place 

(my little boy doing his sandcastle thing)

9606F564-F258-49E4-B4FE-31EA0F5E56B4.jpeg

ann has cancer

Well done all of you, nearly there and the worst bit over.  I fund this support site the other day and wondered if it might help anyone.  Cancer Support UK - Cancer Support UK Keep smiling  love aNN

fionafayker

So pleased for you,  Aqua76! I was due to have my last chemo today but the ct scan i had a couple of weeks ago  showed a slightly enlarged lymph node in my chest.  I've had a procedure called EBUS, where a camera is put down your throat and they can also take tissue from the node. I'm waiting for the results for that and I'm having a PET scan next week.  Whatever the results from both tests will determine when my chemo starts again. Slightly frustrated,  and I've had a couple of days low days,  trying to see the bright side, when there is none that I can see, is hard.

😔😔😔