i also rang the bell yesterday after 12 weekly carbo taxol and 3 x EC

such a relief and picc line out 

onwards to side effects then decide on surgery early May 

xx

aqua76

Re: November 2020 Chemo Starters

CHEMO IS DONE!!!

4xEC, 4xDocetaxal! DONE!

few days of side effects then on the road to normality!

absolutely thrilled. Can’t believe it’s finished 💪💪💪

Felinefriendly

In reply to loosing appetite

I thought this too

Finished my chemo a while back and waiting for 12th

I think its maybe the steriods as i too was eating all time but had enthusiasm to make plates of healthy food ect as well and munch through it

Now i feel i dont have as much energy or motivation and not as hungry xxx

aqua76

I could quite happily deal with a loss of appetite! I’ve put in about 10lbs since start of November 😞

Saying that, I think my double dose steroids make me eat more and I’ve also had no energy/motivation to keep up my walking. 

last chemo is tomorrow!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!

still waiting for confirmation of surgery date, maybe 27th April!! 

Jojo1447

Hi Smilodon

I finished chemo 3 x weeks ago, surgery is next step.  I had appointment with surgeon who was happy with what the chemo had done shrinking the lump.  I have been told i will have a lumpectomy on 16/4.  I too was petrified about being let out so soon, ie drains and things.  When i told him of this concern he reassured me saying they dont use drains unless they have to go in an remove nodes at a later date after first surgery depending on pathology reports of what they've removed so a bit of a relief there although still scared and seems to be approaching fast.

Picc line removal next Tuesday eeeek, bit squeamish about that can't say I'm looking forward to that bit.

My veins have taken a battering and they find it hard now to find a vein for bloods, and being a needle fobe i guess I'm going to have to get used to being a pin cushion lol.

Has anyone else lost their appetite after chemo?  while going through it i ate everything in site... now i don't fancy foods anymore and have to force myself to eat.

Smilodon

Hi all

gearing up to see the surgeon on Thursday, get my scan results and a surgery date. Like others, really hoping the can in clear and I won't need more proper chemo after surgery (as opposed to just the Herceptin/Perjeta). 

I know it's a lumpectomy but don't know yet what the plan is for the nodes. Suspect they want to biospy first but that would mean a second operation to clear the nodes if necessary and that's quite likely so not crazy about having 2 operations instead of one - but I guess there the slim chance I'd only need the one 🤔

How long have you been asked to isolate before surgery? Is your household isolating? DD has her year 11 exams in April so I won't be asking her to isolate. I'm having neighbours for lunch in the garden today. I've sort of shielded - avoiding shops, but walk with friends very regularly and will definitely have people in the garden from now on.

My second jab is also May.

My toenails are a bit unstable - I keep plasters in my pocket out walking - just in case 😯

Really want to get surgery over and done with!

S

jomich50

Lovely to see end of chemo dates surgery 

I have last chemo weds nervous about the picc line removal !  Then a week of those EC side effects then start trying to get back to normality hurrah

saw surgeon team initially this week surgery likely May and mri is 12rh.  I had a great response to chemo first weekly carbo taxol multi focal added to 55mm was down to 12mm so hoping EC has blasted it 

nodes in armpit not as good and examined Tuesday she stlll felt 1 cm node so only one left to blast that ! Fingers crossed as don’t fancy oral chemo after 

being triple negative scares me she told me reoccurance rate was 20% which is fine but can’t help worrying ! Cancer is all over tv at moment as well

how you ladies dealing with shielding ending my second jab is not until May will meet family in garden at distance can’t go on any longer isolated ! 

xx

FiFi2020

Happy Saturday everyone...

Just on to share some positive news. I have two remaining weekly sessions of paclitaxel/carboplatin chemo to go and so had an ultrasound on Thursday. The radiologist was really happy as couldn’t detect any lump in my right breast whatsoever and confirmed that my armpit and other breast were also still clear - Phew!
So - two more chemo sessions to go and come 7th April I’ll be finished with treatment hurrah.  I have my consultation with my surgeon scheduled for this Tuesday so will get my surgery date and more info then.  As far as I know I’ll be having a double mastectomy and fingers crossed immediate reconstruction at the same time. No radiotherapy required. They’ll obviously look at the cells from the skin tissue removed and confirm whether any cancer was still detected so I will eagerly/anxiously be anticipating that news but today I’m feeling really lucky, grateful and hopeful.
I also feel very fortunate that my surgery plan is relatively straight forward compared to others.

Hope everyone is doing ok this week and sending lots of positivity your way x

Felinefriendly

Hi aqua

Snap wih the date if it stays same and with the eyebrows 🤗😁👌👀💯😅 xxx

aqua76

Morning lovely ladies

just struggling with my daily trauma again - drawing on two identical eyebrows lol!!!

met with surgeon on Tuesday and he’s given me surgery date of 12th April. Which then was followed up my oncologist calling to say she thinks it’s too soon after my last chemo and she thinks it’s unlikely my bloods will be recovered. 
so waiting for an update from surgeon. Might be following week now. 
then my treatment path seems to depend on what they find after the surgery. All a bit of a waiting game. 
Saying that, last chemo on Tuesday! Will be so glad to be done with that stage in my treatment!!! Be gone foul docetaxal!!! 

LadyGaga72

Hi Belinda,

Thanks for the heads up on the biotin gummies. I finished 12 weekly taxol six weeks ago and I am shedding more hair now that when I was on treatment. I used the cold cap throughout and did have a bit of shedding but nothing like this. I’m really scared now that it’s a late reaction and I might lose it after all. There are no visible patches on my head but it has thinned plus having grey roots never help. I’m still on Herceptin until May and have just started Letrozole, which can also contribute to hair loss. I will check in with oncologist and if it’s ok, I will definitely try the biotin.  

All the best everybody with the remainder of your treatments.

Helen x

Belinda_F

hi guys, just another interloper from January! I take a peek occasionally as many of you are coming to an end of chemo and it's so so nice to read about the light at end of tunnel! 

just quickly on biotin, I've been taking vegan gummies since before cold capping and I've kept most of my hair... and I've started weekly taxol now and *think* my shedding has stopped, so wondering if it's the biotin that's helped on this. 

here's the link if anyone wants some but do ask your onco before taking any, know some say no supplements. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DDGPS8S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_RAK3CXRA0EPSZBS30C4R?_encoding=UTF8&p...

hugs all X

ELLEGEE77

Well I had one of the drains in for a week after surgery, so it's difficult to do much with them in. I also had the main dressings taken off, which left me with steri strips, I just left them to come of naturally.

I think I saw surgeon about day 10 after surgery, he said I could shower as normal, I was still careful at this point. I think I was advised 4-6 weeks to push a shopping trolley and up to 4 weeks to drive. I didn't drive for a while I was lucky to be able to have lifts, although I had cording, which I wouldn't have felt safe to drive, I had this till Nov (surgery Sept) the start of chemo. Eventually it went. 

I too went to a private hospital and stayed overnight, I think if id have had a lumpectomy I'd have been sent home the same day. I didn't have pain at all. Apart from later with the cording, which was more annoying than anything else. 

Make sure you do the exercises, they do help. 

I'm sure you will all cope with surgery, you've gone through chemo, I personally think surgery is easier than chemo. I suppose it's more concentrated in time rather than spread over months. Xx

aqua76

How quick was your recovery? 
Im due a mastectomy with node clearance as well. 
just wondering how long I’m likely to be out of action for if it’s just a case of being careful of stitches etc 

x

MayC

Hey FiFi, I'm just home from the last treatment of Cycle 3.😁

So next Tues begins my LAST cycle of chemo. It feels really good to say that, but also a bit scary because a) I'd (weirdly) got used to chemo; what happens, what to do, etc, and b) Surgery is next, which, despite having done a general anaesthetic for my sentinel node biopsy, I'm still pretty scared of the idea. I still have an idea something else will show up, cncer will have spread, nothing like a bit of catastrophising, eh?!

I'm seeing Oncolgist on Friday so will get the results of the MRI I had a fortnight ago, and hopefully discuss a bit more abiout what comes next. I haven't even got an appt date to see the Surgical team yet, so no idea as to date for the actual surgery. Tho I think it's likely to be early/mid May; I was told approx 3 or 4 weeks after end of chemo, which is due to be April 13th.

I'm sure it'll be fun in our house, as I'm booked for Covid Jab No 2 on 19th, and then Hubby is finally due to have a knee op on 21st April. He's been told to 'isolate' for two weeks prior, which isn't much of a problem, but as I'm in and out of hospital, he's also susposed to 'shield' from me! Which will make me driving him to the hospital a bit of a problem, won't it?! We could ask a friend, but that introduces more contacts into our bubble, so I think it's more a case of minimising risk, rather then eliminating (as with much of life I guess 😉)  

It's also my 50th Birthday on 28th April, so I think I may just cancel that and stay 49 for another year! Although I think we're able to 'meet someone on a bench and have a coffee' after April 12th. Not quite the 50th birthday bash I was thinking, but small steps and all that!!

Just a note on the cold capping. I really wondered if it was worth it back in Dec/Jan time. After 4 rounds of EC, my (dyed red-ish) hair was so thin and I was working a look that Hubby called 'befuddled Baby Orangutan' (lovingly, apparently 😉) But I kept going and I already have a good bit of growth. It's almost at the point of looking like I chose to have a very short style. Almost... I hate it being so grey/white, but at least by the time I get back to work, I should have something to put some colour on. 

Anyway...hope you're all doing OK. We are SO nearly there with this chemo thing. One (not so) small (bloody MASSIVE, if you ask me...🤣) step on this road. And one step closer to the end. 

Lotsa Hugs Everyone 🤗🤗🤗

donkeywoman

Hello, I'm just jumping in quickly from the December/January threads where I belong! Just to say that I had a mastectomy in October and was amazed when they said I could go home the same day. I didn't go to theatre until about lunchtime and was home at 5.30pm! It felt weird, but so lovely to be back in my own bed and I'm sure I recovered better because of it. They were so supportive on the ward and I was given plenty of information that made me feel safe about going home.They also made sure I had eaten, drunk and wee'd before I went - and walked to the loo! I didn't have a drain, so can't comment on that bit. Hoping just to offer a little bit of reassurance x

Smilodon

Hi all

I got neuropathy with docetaxel and it was quite severe (especially couldn't stand on my feet) so dose was dropped to 90% which made a big difference. Still some weeks can't manage some buttons etc but it's getting less over time but I know some tingles might remain.

I don't know if my nails will survive. As the weak part moves forward they might lift. I use Polybahm and  Dr Organic oil constantly and they 'feel' better for it but I can only hope it's really doing any good.

My hair is totally gone except I still have a bit of eyebrow which is handy. I'm more obsessed with my nails than my hair though.

Seems I've been unluckily drug sensitive generally so my commiserations to fellow sufferers who are rocking through the laundry list of side effects. This last cycle hit me unexpectedly hard due to the addition of the bisphosphonates (despite cutting my EC to 80%). For the 2% benefit I'm not going to have those again - my legs still hurt and I lost a lot of weight. That is seriously unlucky though!

MRI this Thursday then surgeon appt April 1st 🤔 . Very nervous about surgery (no date yet) and like others are saying - being released so quickly (within hours) makes me even more nervous. I'm quite squeamish ☹️ and the mere mention of drains etc makes me 😲 Guess I'll be investing in some big girl pants - and maybe also begging mercy from my local practice nurses.

SO glad to be done with the heavy chemo though. 😊 So weird to have an illness where it feels like it's the treatment that's killing you.

Let's hope all our surgeries go as smoothly as possible.

S

marblecake22

Hi everyone

just reading all your messages..

ive had numb fingers tips for a while now- oncologist wasn’t worried just said it takes time to go. I’ve kind of got used to it now! 

my nails are in a shocking state and I fear I may loose one of them as it’s lifting up and I’m scared of catching it on something. I’ve also now got joint pain in my left knee and left elbow randomly - again I’ve been told by oncology and breast nurse that this is the accumulative side effects of chemo that may last a while. 
I’ve lowered my expectations regarding hair regrowth. I’ve lost it all apart from a few strands and the nurse said it will be slow plus the hormones I’ll be on after surgery cause hair loss too - going to be rocking  the scarves for a bit longer I fear

im having a mastectomy with aux node clearance and I’ve been told if I feel ok I can go home the same day 😳this frightens me too. I’m having my surgery at the local private hospital as the nhs have moved all their ops there due to covid - I’m seeing it like a mini break😂😂 I was kinda hoping for an overnight stay at least! 

looks like most of us are heading for April surgery - we’ve got this ladies - stay strong 💪🏼

Jojo1447

Hi felinefriendly 

just had my appointment through for the 16/4 I’m terrified.  It’s a day case and that worries me too x

FiFi2020

Hi All

Hope everyone is doing ok and having a good week. Been a while since I’ve posted but do read everyone’s updates.

I have three more weekly sessions of Paclitaxel/Carboplatin to go, due to finish 7th April (having been delayed a week back in Feb due to low platelet count), can’t wait. Although in all honesty, I’ve been relatively side effect free since February. This combo has much more tolerable than the dreaded EC!

I do have tingling/pins and needles in my feet but not yet to the point where it’s problematic. Just a strange sensation and annoying at night time. A combination of walking, Epsom salt baths and my husband massaging them seem to help but a little concerned it will get worse these next three weeks.

I have an ultrasound this Thursday and then my consultation with the surgeon next Tue.  Will be going in hoping to confirm that I’ll have have a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction (implants) in early May - I’m triple negative and BRCA 1 positive. 

Did anyone take a relative to their surgery consultation? What was involved?

In case anyone a little behind us (Dec/Jan starters) is reading, just thought I’d mention that I’m still cold capping. It hasn’t been as successful as I’d hoped as I’ve lost approx 75% of my hair but I have persevered regardless as am hoping it’ll encourage hair regrowth come April 7th when I finish treatment. Personally, I still feel better having some hair than none at all. Never felt ready or got to the point where I was wanting to shave it off. I started to wear a wig when out and about since early March, up until then a beanie was fine.

Have read that taking biotin gummies after treatment finishes are great for hair regrowth - does anyone recommend a particular brand?

Well done everyone for nearing the end of this leg of the journey! November seems like a lifetime ago now. 
Happy Tuesday to you all x

aqua76

Thanks ladies

it does seem to be more noticeable at night. Maybe just when I stop moving about. 
I texted my oncologist to let her know, just to update her in a few days. 
ive got an appointment with my surgeon this afternoon so will hopefully get a surgery date later on. Hoping/planning for first week in May.

not looking forward to surgery but it’s the next necessary step in my recovery so just need to go with it!  

Felinefriendly

Evening Aqua

I experienced the pherial neuropathy on my 10 session chemo, i ordered a hot water bottle for feet that helped a bit not alot, and i kept gping for a walk, at one point my feet were freezing cold and i was dropping things alot with my hands and couldnt bear feeling of some things, it has slowly gone bit better, but can still feel it a little now, 

They stopped my chemo till the next week and then that week my bloods were wrong and the week after so i missed 2 lots and now they stopped it

Am waiting for lumpectpy on april 12th

🌟Wondering who else has operation date yet in this group? 🌟🤔

aqua76

Thanks ladies x

Think Im starting to lose the plot now the end of chemo is almost here. 
just had another MRI and the nurse took two attempts to find a vein and I had a teary episode. 

will be so glad when my last chemo session is over. Need to get something nice for my wee oncology nurse for getting me through it x

ELLEGEE77

Hi Aqua

I'm on weekly paclitaxel and had the tingles for quite a few weeks, only this week onc prescribed B6 (pyridoxine), my onc said they're not worried about tingles, they worry if it goes numb and can't do buttons! I've only got 2 weeks left. 

My finger nails feel really sensitive, I've kept them short but if I touch them they're painful, they have gone a yellow colour.

Lou xx

bikergirl1

Hi Aqua76,

It’s a common side effect of docetaxcel but you need to let your chemo unit know, they may decide to lower your next dose to see if that helps xx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

aqua76 ❤️ Please phone your team and tell them , they will know what to do and advise you ❤️ Please keep safe 💕💕Shi xx

aqua76

Is anyone else having any neuropathy symptoms? 
I’m halfway through treatment 7 with one more docetaxal to go. 
It has just  started yesterday with my feet and fingers. 
Is there anything I can do to improve it??

jane x

ELLEGEE77

Hiya

Just a quick post to you who are having surgery after chemo. I had my surgery (mastectomy and full clearance) in Sept 20 (plus a previous mastectomy in 2006 with lymph node sampling and LD flap reconstruction 2008). Please try not to worry, you have done the hardest bit in my opinion - CHEMO.

I wasn't in any pain on the mastectomy site, I did have cording and that was due to the lymph node clearance, but my advice is to make sure you keep on top of the exercises, have physio if offered, don't go too mad, so the scars can heal and just try and take it steady.

Drains are a pain I had 2, came out with them both, had a little rucksack thing to put them in, take a paracetoml before they come out, although mine didn't hurt this time (they did 14 years ago tho).

I was fine this time losing my boob, been there once before, but you may find it difficult to look, I just think it's removing the cancer. Mentally it's something you have to overcome, if you have a mastectomy, your chest goes really really flat and that does take time to get used to.

I'm here if you need anything at all. Sending you all loads of hugs and positive vibes.

I have 3 weeks left on paclitaxel, then radio end of April, then I'm done, that's when I'll feel it, as I'm triple negative and there's no other treatment.

Lou xxxx

aqua76

Good news re the surgery. Another little step to tick off on our journey

My oncologist friend said that surgery/radiotherapy is like a walk in the park compared to chemo. So hopefully for those finishing chemo and starting the next step it will be easier to deal with and we can ‘enjoy’ as best we can the downtime that surgery recovery will hopefully offer 

I’m meeting surgeon next week after an MRI. Still have one more chemo to go on 30th March so expecting my surgery to be late April/early May. 
In fact, with the Scottish lockdown announcements today I’m determined to head home to see my family Mayday weekend. 

My poor parents have had to deal with me telling them my diagnosis, treatment issues, everything remotely so I need to go and see them before I start the next stage. 

I’ve been lucky enough to enough to get healthcare through work so am being treated privately. Am sure that will allow me to ‘request’ a date for surgery 

Stay strong all you beautiful ladies. We are kicking ass xx

marblecake22

Hi all

i got my surgery date today - 15th April consultant and nurse have put my mind at rest a bit about it , they were very reassuring as I told them I am quite scared. I feel a lot better now I have a date for the next stage. I’ll be having radiotherapy after. As it’s in my lymph nodes they won’t know to what extent until they’ve been analysed. It may have to be targeted to other nodes in my chest which I’m a bit worried about .

I’ve been very down the past couple of weeks
ive had my last chemo and was quite elated to start with but since then I’ve had more side effects come out that are due to the accumulation of treatment. I’ve got painful joints and am struggling to eat due to mouth ulcers. I also took my nail varnish off and got a shock at the state of my nails - I fear I may loose some of them. It’s a milestone getting to the end of chemo but it’s definitely the gift that keeps on giving. 
hope everyone is doing ok? Looks like we are all heading for surgery about the same time. We have to trust in our teams that they are doing the very best for us all

love to you all♥️We are getting there ladies xx

ttyler
Community Champion

Hi Felinefriendly,

I am so glad You are home now and hope you start to feel more like yourself soon.

Well done you on getting to the end of your chemo, you have had such a lot to deal with throughout. You should be so proud of yourself! 👏 On to surgery now, almost at the finish line. Will you be having radiotherapy?

MayC, o was a little different to you as I had my sentinel node biopsy and therapeutic mammoplasty together right at the beginning before chemo. I am not a doctor, but do believe that if the nodes are cancer free then they don’t need to take more because the cancer should not have spread. Apparently the sentinel nodes are the first place the cancer goes to, to spread so if they are clear things are looking positive! I had the sentinel node and the one next to it took out and both were clear. Have you had any scans at all, such as bone CT scan? I was told they were not relevant for me because although I was triple negative no cancer was found in my nodes or blood, however I started to get leg and lower back pain before chemo so they did them and they came back clear too. 

I would suggest you could talk to your team or the nurses on this site to get some clarification and reassurance.

Well done to you all, you are nearly at the end if this stage and spring is here. Better times are ahead!

Lots of love ❤️ Tara xxx

Felinefriendly

Hi everyone💝

i stayed in hospital till after 4pm on Friday,all the nurses were lovely and drs ❤️❤️

They stopping my chemotherapy now, they said(the chemotherapy team and dr) even if i got my bloods back up it would happen again and ive done 90 percent of it, they might  bring my operation forward, the camera investigated showed inflamation inside me and ive got some tabkets to take and been tolfd not to have ibrufen or them types of painkillers

Thwy perscribed me coidene for the bad  headaches i was getting

Because id mentioned headaches i was sent for a brain scan too

They was talking about going to give me a bag of iv platelets but after another blood test they said i had increased a bit

So im due for blood test again this coming week.

💐💝💐💝💐💝💐💝🌹🌹🌹🌹

Happy mothering sunday to you all for this weekend 🌺🌸🌻💐🌼🥀🌹🍫🎂🍰💝🤗🎉😊🌼🌸🌻❤️🌷💐🌺💋

MayC

Morning All! 

Hi Jojo and Smilodon - I'm at a similar stage as you both and will be heading to surgery too soon. (TNBC here too)

I'm due to finish chemo on 13th April, (which can't come soon enough!) but am pretty scared at the idea of surgery. I had a sentinel node biopsy back in October, which was the first time in my 49 years I'd ever had a general anaestetic, and was terrified. At least now I know what's involved, but still not looking forward to it. I have been told the surgery will now be carried out at the hospital I have chemo at, rather then the local general hosp (where I had the SNB) which I'm happier about; Covid-wise it feels a safer bet.

I'm probably due a lumpectomy, tho I have an MRI tomorrow (yes, Saturday!) to check where things are at. I don't have an appt with surgeon yet, but I'm sure that will come soon. I was a bit concerned about timescales, but I'm told surgery is usually 3 or 4 weeks after chemo finishes. As said, my chemo finishes on 13th April and on 28th I turn 50! On the one hand, the idea of having surgery on my birthday wasn't great, but it's not like I have anything exciting planned! And, looking forward, it'd be a hell of a response to 'So, what did you do for your 50th?!!' 

Does anyone know if more nodes are taken with a lumpectomy, or does it depend on the cancer/individual? After SNB, I was told there were no nodes involved, but for some reason I can't believe that, so I'm wondering if they'll have another go, and I'll get an updated/worse diagnosis. Nothing like a bit of over-thinking brain to help you through, eh?!

Big Hugs to you all !! 🤗🤗🤗

Jojo1447

Thanks ttyler

Very reassuring.  To be fair i've been ok on the Chemo only really had 2 days of lethargy never really felt poorly only a little woozy and out of it.

I've been told by my breast cancer nurse they are looking at a lumpectomy depending on the results of the scan and it should be a day case.  Guess i'll find out more in just over a weeks time.

I have to say i am going to enjoy tomorrow lie back and think thats part of a journey complete.

Take care all

Jojo x

ttyler
Community Champion

Hi Jojo and smilodon,

wanted to reassure you both a little about surgery. I found it a walk in the park compared to chemo and sure you both will too. I was triple negative and should have had chemo first, but as I was diagnosed on the 20th March last year right as we went into the first lock down the decision was made by my team to get the lump out first and clear margins and then do chemo and radiation afterwards to mop up. 

I had never had a procedure in my whole 36 years up until this point, not even a filling, so was very anxious, but can honestly say it was so much better than I had imagined. I walked into theatre, climbed onto the bed and was put to sleep in there because the recovery rooms were being used for covid patients. They put the heated table on, which is a bit like heated seats in the car( this is to keep you warm apparently through the procedure), put my canula in and told me they were giving me something that would make me feel drunk. They then asked me about my job and what I would normally be going and I don’t remember anymore. When I woke up I felt sick so I told them and they immediately gave me anti sickness and then I was taken to the surgical day ward for my hubby to pick me up. I can say it felt like the best sleep I had, had in a while.

I believe you stay in hospital for longer than a day now but as I was operated on the 9th April I was sent home to recover. This was fine too. In the end I had a therapeutic mammoplasty ( lumpectomy with an uplift) and 2 nodes taken, which were clear.

I hope this helps and gives you both some  reassurance.

Well done both for getting to the end of chemo, you should be so proud!

Love ❤️ Tara xxx

Smilodon

Sounds like you're having a tough time Feline. The delays are not so much a problem for your prognosis - but a form of mental torture! I'm sure we all just want to get done with treatment so I hope you get back on track - or diverted to a new track - asap.

I've got chemo 7 of 7 on Monday. I'm increasingly sick with it and very keen to be done. Then another MRI and surgery.  Very nervous about surgery but it has to happen! Still no idea what the surgery plan is - mast or lump - node biopsy or go straight for complete clearance. Pros and cons either way and lot of disagreement between surgeon and onc still.

It's been a loooooong 4 months but time does pass eventually.

S

Jojo1447

Hi Felinefriendly

Hope you're doing ok and out of hospital?

I too had some abnormal blood readings and have missed 2 treatments throughout, one on New years eve and one a few weeks later.

I have my last chemo session due this Friday.... 2 weeks ago i was informed i was anaemic which concerned me but so far they haven't worried about it and treatment has gone ahead, so fingers crossed for the last one.

I am TNBC and had chemo first to try to shrink the lump, hopefully thats worked i can feel the difference but i'm no expert.  I have MRI booked week after chemo finishes then appointment with surgeon for results and i presume date for op.  That scares the hell out of me but know its all part of the journey.

Jojo x 

ttyler
Community Champion

Hi Felinefriendly,

I am so sorry to hear that you are not feeling good and are in hospital. I know it is easy for me to say as I am not in the hospital, but please try and relax. I have found over the past 12 months that the best way for me to deal with anxiety is to stop what I am doing, sit or lie down and take some deep breaths in and out. I know I have not experienced what you are in terms of low bloods and I won’t pretend to tell you I know how you are feeling as only you know that, but I found that when I was in pain or felt nervous or worried about things it helped to imagine I was in a different place, somewhere that makes me feel happy. I would close my eyes and imagine I was on a sun lounger on the beach in front of the ocean and if I listened really carefully I could hear the sound of the waves and feel the cool breeze floating over my warm body. I am not saying it will help, but give it a go and see if it takes your mind away from the situation if only for 5 minutes.

I also wanted to say that although you won’t believe me right now you really have got this! You are doing so well and should be proud of what you have achieved so far. You don’t have to be at the end Of treatment  to be proud of yourself, be proud for what you have dealt with and over come in the last day, week and month! I know it seems like everything is negative right now, but you are in the best place and you are being investigated. The professionals really are taking care of you, checking everything out. Everyone wants the best possible outcomes.

You may not like being in hospital away from your family I know I would be the same, but please use it to your advantage! Rest, take deep breaths and imagine you are on the beach 🏖 somewhere exotic or wherever makes you happy and please don’t feel alone, because we are all right next to you, with you! (I’m the one with the pina colada in my hand, what are you drinking?

Try to get some sleep and some you time!

Let me know how you get on!

Much love ❤️ Tara xx

Felinefriendly

Hi 

Im in hospital for the night 

Bloods have come back even lower than last week, was meant to be doing chemo tomorrow this is 3rd ine now missed, 

Came to tell them got anxiety over it all and been pooing dark stools so they reffered me to a and e and now having a  drip over night  and having a camera down me tomorrow to investigate just in case 

Am now worrying about not having chemotherapy again but meant to be seeing oncology dr tomorrow well thats what they said 

Went dizzy today as well so told them that 

Hope everyone else is doing ok xxxxx

aqua76

Urgh, yet another sleepless, steroid induced, night before chemo!
Am having treatment 7 of 8 today. The end is in sight!!

then I need to get my head psyched up for surgery. But am sure a physical recovery from that *should* be easier than repeated chemo recoveries! 
Everyone has been quiet on here. Hope you are all well ladies xxx

Felinefriendly

Thankbyou both for your replys xxx

Been eating loads green veg in the hope it helps build it back up for coming Wednesday xxxxx

LadyGaga72

Hi Felinefriendly,

I’m so sorry to hear about your stress and cancelled treatments. I know exactly how you feel. I too had two treatments cancelled over Christmas and New Year and like you I was so anxious and annoyed about this. I had a high temperature reading when I arrived for a hospital appointment and of course was sent straight home to organise a covid test for myself. The results got lost, so I had to have another test so all in all it took two weeks to get me back on track. So frustrating,  as you just want to plough through them and get it done. I spoke to the Oncologist and he more than assured me that it wouldn’t make any difference to the final outcome. So please try not to worry, you will be back on track soon. Fortunately I finished my chemo a few weeks ago but still having Herceptin injections every three weeks and starting radiotherapy next week. 

All the best with your surgery in April.

Helen x

ttyler
Community Champion

Hi Felinefriendly,

Sending big hugs and please don’t worry about having your treatment cancelled. I myself never had any of my treatments cancelled due to low bloods, however  I did meet some people on the unit that had their treatment cancelled a couple of times due to low bloods or infection. From what I was told the delay in treatment does not affect your outcome as there is not long enough for the cancer to take hold or rapidly grow. It is expected that this could happen throughout cycles and is planned for.

I completely understand that it is easy for me to say because it has never happened to me, but for reassurance please contact your oncologist at the hospital or one of the breast care nurses on this site. They are the professionals and talking it through with someone helps us to better understand our situation and ease the anxiety. Please don’t worry alone, talk to someone that knows the answers!

I do hope you are able to feel less anxious soon and have my fingers crossed that your cycle goes ahead next time.

Much love ❤️ Tara xxx

Felinefriendly

Hi guys

Been reading all the latest posts

I didnt have chemo last wed because hands and feet were effected

I have 2 left to go before op in April 

So went today and my blood counts are all low  my platlets so they redid them while i was there and they wwerw still not high enough so couldnt have it today either

So have some anxiety now over missing 2 lots 😢 

Has anyone else experience this xxx

ttyler
Community Champion

Hello again,

Yes I was 36 last year when I was diagnosed, but if I am honest could have already started to go into menopause when I was on the contraceptive injection as the women in my family do go through it early. My mum was 27 when she did!

I am so sorry for all the spelling mistakes in my last post, my youngest was pulling at my arm asking me where the ice cream was as I was trying to write 😝 

I am a little worried about the swelling and possible pituitary tumour but have been told that 99 percent are benign and once removed your symptoms especially the swelling can get better in days. I am a little gutted that I can’t just get on with things now that my cancer treatment has finished, but are so grateful to be alive and that far more out ways the tests and treatment. Like I said earlier I was quite lucky to have gotten to 36 with never having surgery or procedure  not even a filling.

I am not sure how you feel about me saying this, but well done you for getting through this once and for fighting hard a second time. You seem like such a strong 💪 lady, a warrior. I was speaking to a man who’s wife was recently diagnosed at the hospital the other day and he said that have you noticed that only the good people get cancer. It’s like if you are good and kind you are made up of the same gene that attracts cancer. I had never thought of it like this before, but from the people I have met in life and through this journey it rings true. I wish you all the luck in the future. 

Have a lovely evening!

Tara xxx

ELLEGEE77

Thanks Tara. 

Sounds like you've had a tough time of it. I had FEC 14 years ago and my periods never stopped, but I was 29. I won't ve surprised if they have stopped and I suppose I need to patient and see what happens once chemo is over. I think when I saw the oncologist before chemo started he was just so matter of fact about everything, I didn't really ask about menopause!

I really hope you are OK and you get sorted, sending you lots of love xxx

ttyler
Community Champion

Hi ELLEGEE77,

I am a little different to you but thought I would let you know my experience of periods and the menopause etc. I have not had a period for 8 years because I went on the depo I injection after the birth of my youngest child. I was due to have my 3 monthly jab on the 1st may last year but was advised by both my oncologist and surgeon not to have it as although I was triple negative and this is not hormonal there is a high chance of recurrence that could be hormone receptive. I did as I was told and did not have a period at all through chemo.

I am currently having scans and tests for swelling of the hands feet and face, headaches, poor sleeping patterns, excessive sweating in the night and reduced mobility, which at first was put down to the effects of chemo and steroids, but now they think I may have a problem with my pituitary gland. As part of the investigations I have had an ultrasound of the upper and lower abdomen and I have also had an internal scan and bloods which has confirmed  I have gone into the menopause. I am okay about this because I knew this could happen and I have 2 boys so feel my family is complete. 

Don’t hold me to this as I am not a doctor but there is a test to check for menopause and that is what the bloods and scan have done I believe. I have almost finished chemo 6 months ago and had it done 2 weeks ago. I was told you have to wait a time incase the chemo still in your body gives a false reading.

I have also been told that is I have a problem with my pituitary gland such as a benign tumour which they are testing for this can cause you to be menopausal and then when it is remedied they could return. I have been told to stay safe for now with barrier contraception.

I would suggest for you to speak with your oncologist or the breast care nurses in here for further advice.

I hope this helps a little!

Much love ❤️ Tara xxx

ELLEGEE77

Hi all. 

I had mastectomy and recon 14 and 12 years ago, and had another mastectomy in Sept 20. I can honestly say hand on heart (in my opinion), it's far easier than chemo. I think it is difficult at first to get used to your new shape, for me I've always thought of it as the cancer going. You do have to be careful and not overdo things, but I reckon some of tge best advice is to do the exercises they give you, that gets you back to being able to move!!! When I can I will have recon on my new side, I'd have no hesitation! 

I have 5 paclitaxals left and then rads and that's me done as I'm triple negative, I think that's when the mind games start as there isn't treatment to focus on.

A quick question from me thougg, I'd been having my periods through chemo, but now it's 2 weeks late, so guessing I'm going into menapause, I haven't been sleeping quite so well and waking up hot, but not hot sweats, is that how it starts and sweats build up? Sorry I haven't really spoken to anyone re the menapause so this bit is new to me!!! 

Good luck everybody, I'm positive if you can do chemo you can do surgery xxxx

ttyler
Community Champion

Hello ladies,

Its me again Tara! Just wanted to let you all know that I found surgery a walk in the park compared to chemo. I had surgery first on the 9th April last year because of Covid. I had a therapeutic mammoplasty ( lumpectomy with an uplift). I was scared because I had never had surgery before, not even a filling on my teeth, but as fionafayker has said you count backwards and the next thing you know you are being brought around. I was worried about waking up on the table and all sorts, but to be honest I had a lovely sleep!

Well done to you all for nearing the end of your chemo you should be really proud of yourself, it is such a big achievement one that many people will never have to reach in their lives. You have earned your warrior status! To those that have had chemo delayed, please don’t worry about this as lots of people do and it should not effect your outcome.

Spring is here today, the beautiful daffodils are beginning to appear and the weather is getting sooo much brighter. It’s time to embrace all that you have been through, the strength and courage you have shown and enjoy the beautifulness around you!

Have a lovely day all

love❤️ Tara xxx

fionafayker

I was due my 6th of 7 rounds this Thursday,  but it's been deferred a week as I'm recovering from 10 days in hospital with nasty infection,  some sort of sepsis which is common in chemo patients.  🙄 I was in a side room in hospital with no ensuite  so had to use a commode,  which, thankfully, I was never caught using!😂 I was disappointed that the chemo was deferred but glad now as I am exhausted most days, plus it's only a week in months of treatment. 

I know some of you are scared of surgery,  I was too, 4 years ago. I was 53 and had never had surgery,  but you count back and next time you wake up you're in recovery, surgery done, with someone offering you a cup of tea. 🙂