62326members
328069posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2017 Chemo Starters

Re: October 2017 Chemo Starters

Claire and Cassie, can I join your carriage please? My 2nd cycle is on Monday. Though I’ve always hated rollercoasters!!

Lots of love to everyone starting tomorrow xx

Sue, your FB announcement is beautifully worded, I wish I didn’t have to keep messaging everyone but at the same time I’m not ready for that yet.

My hair’s kind of aching today, I’m not sure I’m ready to start wearing the scarves yet. I really wasn’t worried about it in the build up to all this, but now it seems to be affecting me more than I thought.

Lots of love ladies xx

Thanks for sharing your fb post Sue! It was really nicely written and covered everything! How do you dm people in the forum here? X
Community Champion

Good luck tomorrow Sue !!!!

Thanks Debbie x

Very best wishes tomorrow sue w on the start of your new journey,  and also to other ladies xx

Chaffinch .... re ck I private messsged her and had reply yesterdsy she has been working and said she is on most right after chemo when she has to rest but has less time in her working days x

Thanks for the best wishes for tomorrow, my chemo is at 11.30am. It is reassuring we all together on this 'chemocoaster' now the time is nearing I am terrified but your support means everything.

I will be drinking gallons of tap water tomorrow & over the weekend! 

I also had a problem with my picc line overnight like Runnerbean, hope you are ok now by the way.

After having it put in yesterday I had a 4 hour wait in my local a&e, my arm & fingers swelled I couldnt remove my wedding rings from my finger, after an examination I was sent home, the swelling has reduced today & seen a district nurse today & had numerous calls from the oncolgy nurses, I will be exmained tomorrow before the chemo too. 

Love to all xxx

Cassie, I have only been shaving one armpit since my surgery as the guff I read said I shouldn't shave it anymore due to risk of infection in case you get a cut. Not that I've ever cut my armpits shaving but you know there's always a first time and it was bound to happen! Then I stopped shaving my legs and the other armpit because was told shouldn't when on chemo for same reason. I haven't bothered with my eyebrows for ages either as I figured they'd probably fall out.  So I look a right hairy state at the moment! I also popped on one of the monthly threads the other day and someone was talking about tamoxifen giving you facial hair, so I'm guessing I could end up looking like a bald hairy monkey with a beard too if my facial hair grows quicker than that on my head!

Hi Runnerbean, sorry to hear you've had a rough time of it. I agree it is important to get things checked out if you're worried or not sure. That's what they get paid for, that's what my bcn nurse said they get paid to take care of our worries. My OH got a bit annoyed with me because I've phoned the oncology nurse about 4 times in the last week all about minor things but you just never know and I'd rather get things sorted quickly than let them escalate. Since I told him that some of you have ended up in hospital he has been a bit more understanding and asked me to phone them today to see if I could catch the flu from him when he has his flu jab Monday!

chaffinch, have you tried the September forum re: CK? When was her 2nd chemo?

Anyone heard from CK since her latest chemo btw?
Not like her to be quiet, I’m a bit worried

Sorry to hear that Runnerbean, it’s a lesson to us all to get ourselves checked out if unsure about anything.
I told my Facebook peeps because I had found out by self examination following a documentary where a lady had been nagged by her friend to check herself. I decided to be the nagging friend and put the word out there and I made the post public too so that it could be shared too.
The bald hairy monkey comment made me chuckle.
SueW I’ve been thinking pink food too to up the donation level. Thought maybe bacon sarnies in the morning. Bacon is pink and we buy kilo packs of cooking bacon from Lidl which is usually really tasty bacon you just have to avoid the packets with big chunks instead of slices. We then cook it on trays in the oven and keep it in the fridge ready to microwave for breakfast. We thought that we could just take a load of bread rolls and the cooked bacon and people can help themselves, after donating obviously!
Might make some pink cakes for lunchtime too

Afternoon ladies, hope you are all doing OK and good luck to all those starting tomorrow. I’ve had a bad night last night, after being woken multiple times with pain in my arm which was getting worse as the night went on I phoned the helpline number early this morning. The sent me straight to the local A&E department, the best part of 7 hours later I now know that I have multiple DVT,s in my PICC line arm. The line is staying in but I now have to inject warfarin everyday for the next 3 months. If you are unsure of anything I would say give the nurses a call as you never know when it is something which needs looking at urgently xx

Meesh that made me laugh. I stopped shaving to see when it started to fall out but began to look like a reject from Gorillas In the Mist so I relented and shaved.

Thanks meesh it took a lot of composing but I felt so much better once it was out there as I was getting up to 40 texts or emails a day and just could not keep up with everyone emotionally and it took an awful amount of time too x

SueW, wow that was really brave and also a really good post too!

Meesh that made me laugh xx

Just to add I am happy to add any of you to my fb it is set to private so you won’t be able to add me but that is because of my job in a School x just message me
I would also be very discreet and never put anything csncer related on your walls as I know some people are still keeping their journey private xx

Cassie, Claire, I'm a few days behind you and still have all my hair at the moment. Knowing my luck I'll lose it from my head (even though I'm cold capping) and keep it from the neck down, I'll look like a bald hairy monkey!

Claire I did tell Facebook if you want to see what I have put send me a pm with your user name and I will add you I put it out there as I found it emotionally draining to keep telling individuals
This was my original post and every day I have made sure I found a positive

I have thought long and hard before posting this and have decided that I will post as I am finding it emotionally draining to tell people individually and update people with each step on this journey I am about to take. On 21st June I was diagnosed with breast cancer, on the 8th August I had a lumpectomy and some lymph nodes removed. Unfortunately when I went to see the consultant for my results yesterday I received the news I did not want to get that there is lymph node involvement. I now will be having a 2nd operation on the 7th September for further lymph node removal and a I await a date for a CT scan to ensure there is no further spread. This will be followed by chemotherapy and radiotherapy and I will be absent from work for approx 8 months (which for me will be awful as I love my job) I knew I was facing a journey however it seems that I will now encounter several bumps along the way. Please do not think because I have not told you personally that you are not important it is just a lot to get my head around and obviously my children, my family and very close friends are my priority in all of this and I will continue to speak to them on a personal level. I thank you in advance for your support and good wishes which I know will come, if I do not answer you individually please do not take offence. xx
Highlighted

Claire I haven't told everyone on Facebook. But I did set up a private secret group for friends and family that do know.

Not sure SueW but I am happy for hair loss to be permanent from the neck down. It'll save me a fortune on razors.

I've got a Big Pink Pack too and want to organise a party but not got round to it...! Had hoped to do it next week before Chemo 2! Might have to be end of October instead? Has anyone decided to tell their Facebook community? I'm thinking about it but have held back so far. Cx

Yes definitely best wishes to all of you starting tomorrow, hope the chemo treats you as kindly as possible. Just remember that the rest of us will all be thinking of you. 

I hope many of us are finding this forum a little safe haven in the storm of chaos and uncertainty that goes with being diagnosed and treated for cancer. I know it has helped me so much by providing hope, some laughs and helps me feel a little less lonely. The success of all that is down to people sharing their experiences, tips and thoughts so thank you girls, you are all fabulous!

Well done to your work Cassie x

That’s good precautionary only 👍
Will be thinking of you xx

Yay there is a positive no waxing or shaving my bits can’t wait for that ..... does it grow back like head hair ? Sorry I may be requesting tmi 🤣🤣🤣

Hope not Sue! They recommend having one with you just in.case and I like being organised. Am.going to have it on standby throughout treatment xx

My work did a Big Pink even last Friday which involved wearing pink, bake sale, and throwing sponges and eggs at out director. They've raised over £700 which is brilliant.

Claire, I'm same as you. I won't be needing a bikini wax for a while lol but all other hair seems to be still there at the moment. Got some hats and scarves so I am prepared for when it starts.

Cassie x

Jelly you staying overnight for chemo? X

Hi everyone, I'm starting at 930 tomorrow. Just been packing an overnight bag etc. Weather is nice and I'm staying positive. Hugs to all

Hi everyone, I'm starting at 930 tomorrow. Just been packing an overn

My daughter doing a pink event at her house Saturday 21st about 20 of us ordered a pack snd it came today
We all got to wear pink and we having all pink food which is harder than you think at the moment we just seem to have sweets lol xx

Best wishes to all of you for tomorrow, the starters and the next rounders.
Anyone else involved in a Wear it Pink event this year? I have organized one for our office because I will be in that day and need some fun in my life! Outfit sorted with as many shades of clashing pink as I could muster and neon pink wig ordered from eBay for the princely sum of £3:95! Just hoping that my head won’t be too sore to wear it by then I’ll be day 16 and hair may be starting to go.

Other starters tomorrow what time are your appointments ? X

Hi all been reading up on you all ready for my first chemo tomorrow booked in for 8.30 am
You all share so much of your lives and treatments I feel like you are all friends/family
Throughout this crap process I feel like this site provides a light in what could be a dark time
Just got out from seeing endocrinologist said no treatment needed for swollen adrenal glands waiting for urine test results but will only be called back if anything untoward xxx

Yes I can identify with everything you said. Wake up feeling a bit better, try a walk and meet up for coffee/do a bit of work and then crash back in bed asleep for an hour or watching Greys Anatomy on TV with a headache and stiff neck. I keep getting a cold head/hands so am wearing my skiiing hat permanently round the house!! I am not loosing head hair yet but I haven't dyed it since June so it is dreadful and I am not washing it very much so it's doubly dreadful!! Ha! Need to go hat shopping this weekend!! By the way (glad we are all girls on this forum....) my pubic hair started falling out in handfuls yesterday....oh well thats one less job to do ...tehehe! Has anyone heard from their breastcare nurse? I spoke to her at the hospital on chemo day and she phoned me the next day but that has been it....? Any thoughts/comparisons? I had only met her once before when she outlined the likely chemo process but that was at the start of September! Not that impressed with her....and she told me we would soon be best friends...! Lol hugs to you all Cx

Ruth you must be in the carriage behind me. I'll pop in and say hi on my way to the buffet car lol.

Claire, we're in the same chemo train carriage! I seem to have a good day when I feel normal and then a couple of days feeling tired. Got a headache today too. Went for a walk this morning to try and blow away some cobwebs but it didn't seem to work. Been working from home this morning so that's been taking my mind off it.

Hi Cassie,
I've got chemo 2 next Thursday too - I hope you are starting to feel better. Trying to make plans for fun things to do each day til then to make the most of a "normal" week. I'm still quite tired though. I'm eating well and that helps so it's just headaches and tiredness that I'm suffering with now.
Sam - I had damage to my liver following the post surgery antibiotics which I found I was allergic too. I discovered that garlic, beetroot and carrots were all good liver clensers so you could try eating/ juicing them?

Morning everyone finally have my dates. Gave up waiting and tracked down the number to the chemo unit! (Apparently the info is in the post! Great!)
In Tues (PICC), Weds (bloods) and chemo starts Thursday.
Cassie looks like I will be one cycle behind you on the chemo train!
Checked they do have the cold cap available - although encouragingly the nurse on the phones comment was "I don't know how you ladies do it"! So that was encouraging!!
Huge amounts of positive energy to everyone starting tomorrow 🤞🤞🤞
Ruthxx

I was lucky enough to be offered a meal at the hospital after my chemo (whilst waiting for cold cap to finish) which I ate all of and then had homemade soup in the evening. I didn't really feel that sick in the following days so just reduced the size of my normal meals slightly and munched on a couple of ginger nuts if I felt a bit sick in between. I did find also find if I was late with my evening meal then I started to feel worse. Obviously everyone is different but that's what seemed to work for me.

Just found out that I can have the flu jab as long as I do it towards the end of next week. So have booked it in for next Thursday. Smiley Happy

Well done Meesh on the promotion good to know that you are valued Smiley Happy
Tingling not too bad this morning, it came and went yesterday and was bad during the evening yesterday. Keeps me off my phone though so probably a good thing. I spent the evening reading the latest Good Food magazine which I’ve had for nearly 2 weeks and not opened. Starting to get excited about Christmas cooking. I have chemo 5 due on 27th December so want to enjoy Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Apparently I will have to spend the whole day in the department that day because bloods and oncologist appointment will be done then too.
Best of luck to everyone starting tomorrow. My piece of advice would be don’t get overexcited and try to eat a normal evening meal on your treatment day, it did not end well for me 🤢 and echo the comments about drinking plenty. I don’t think that I drank enough on the day itself because my treatment was quite late I was keeping busy and didn’t make time to drink.

Hi everyone. Just checking in and seeing if everyone is ok.
I'm not doing too bad. Started to get really bored so working from home. Lots of friends and family have colds so not getting many visitors :-(
Planning on seeing a few people this weekend and have my Look good feel better course on Monday which I'm really looking forward to.

I think we have a few new chemo starters on Friday like SueW. Someone called it a chemo train. I like to think more of a rollercoaster. However not one of the really scary ones at Alton towers. More of a big dipper that takes you up one minute and then down the next. Make the most of the 'up moments but don't over do it. Rest on your 'down moments which is what your body is telling you to do. And advice to drink plenty is also good especially if your appetite is a bit off.

So step up to the ticket office and get your ticket for the next chemo roller coaster ride. Mine takes off again next Thursday.

Have a good day
Cassie x

Morning everyone! Still feeling good after yesterday, although woke up at 3:30am and then couldn't get back to sleep!

Hope chaffinch and Sam are feeling better today.

New starters for tomorrow, I agree with Karana make sure you drink plenty of water today, tomorrow and then the day after. I did do that and I think it really helps. I didn't really suffer from any loss/ change in taste but did find water was the only thing I really wanted to drink. Also I would recommend not eating anything you really love during or just after chemo as you may never want to eat it again (I've gone right off ginger, although ginger nut biscuits are still ok Smiley Very Happy Also try to rest up today too.

Morning ladies hope you all had a good night x

Hows your tingling today Chaffinch?  Sam are you feeling any better?  Meesh hope your still on a bit of a high 😊

Hope tomorrows starters aren't getting too nervous....remember to drink lots before you go and during the day...I definitely didn't drink enough and paid for it so will up my intake of water next time!!  I struggled drinking bottled water as it tasted really metallic and eventually realised that tap water tasted fine...weird as I never drink tap water!!!!! Xx

Thanks Jellytot for the evonail, I'll look into that. & Ruth for the other.

I had my brows microbladed earlier this year before I knew anything about my breast cancer, just hope they look ok without hair on! ha ha.

Sam I hope youre feeling better now, sending hugs.

Congrats on your promotion Meesh, thats really great news & gives you somethind postitve to focus on.

I had my picc line put into today, 1.5 hours later it went in, i have such rubbish veins, its really sore at the mo, but glad its finally in. Now its countdown to Friday for my first FEC.

My wig is ready to pick up too but not sure when I'll get there now until I feel better after my first chemo.

Sending positive vibes & love to everyone & especially the ladies having chemo on Friday xx

Thanks Karana, Ruth.

Well done karana with the wig, hopefully you won't need it for a while!

Well done on the promotion Meesha 😘🍾 it's always good to hear cheery news!!

Hubby made me try wig on today....it wasn't as scary as I thought and he took a picture which he has shown to a few close friends this evening....means I'm one step closer in accepting it into my life!! Xx

Congratulations on the promotion Meesh 🍾

Evening everyone! Hope you all had good days.

Sam34, good to hear you are out of hospital, hope you're feeling better soon.

I've had a good day today! I did my yoga and meditation again when I got up this morning, not sure if this is helping but I didn't feel anxious or shakey. I popped into work for 2 hours as I had an interview for a promotion, it was good to see a few people and show my face. They called me this afternoon to let me know that I got my promotion which I was really chuffed about as I was worried they may overlook me. It's also the first bit of good news I think I've had since my diagnosis!

Sorry to hear that you had to go to hospital Sam34. I hope that you feel better soon.
I’ve still got this annoying tingling in my fingers and sometimes around my head particularly on my lips. Hopefully it won’t stay because one of the pleasurable things that I have promised myself is to do some of my adult colouring books this winter!
Otherwise not a bad day, afternoon better than morning even did some ironing and cooked the tea!