cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2017 Chemo Starters

Re: October 2017 Chemo Starters

yay success coffee with coffee mate instead of milk tastes good x

Sam34 should you get your chest pain checked out hun ?

Jen malvern not far from me so if you come down and want to meet up for a real life chat give me a shout I drive so if its a good timeonchemo rollercoaster i could come to you only about half an hour away 

Do you know Jen in all honesty i have put work to the back of my mind the people that matter have kept in touch and i had some lovely flowers off the head last Friday but i do suspect they come via his PA who i have been friends with for 15 years she probably told him too lol 

I make sure i go out every day even if its just for a walk, my house has never been so tidy or my ironing done so quickly and it stays spotless at least until my hubby and son come home 

I nap in the afternoon and as each week goes by i can feel the stress of such an intense job leaving me 

depending how i feel in the future i may ask to change my position in work if possible to a less stressful department even if it means a pay cut. 

My sister is getting married in June next year so i am going to make sure i stil got a doctors note so i can go as should have all treatment completed by end of April/May as will still have rads to do after chemo. If i go back to work before the wedding i know i wont get the time off. Plan to go back to work about 2 weeks before we break up then will be back on full pay for 6 weeks holiday but will do those 2 weeks on part time reintegration x

Are you missing work Sue or have you got used to being at home? xx

You rock that hat Sue 🦄 And well done on not drinking the lemon & ginger tea!! Xx

Think I wouldn't have been able not to laugh Sue! I'm terrible for at laughing at the wrong times!

Love your hat Smiley Happy Really impressed you've been out shopping today! A friend wants to have coffee with me the day after chemo and I wasn't sure if I'd be feeling well enough. (She lives in Malvern and only down for a couple of days. I'm hoping to go and stay with her on a 'good' week though. Do you ever go there, don't think it's too far from you. I really like going there) xx

Love the hat!!!

my new winter hat ha ha ha xunicorn.jpg

Jen apprehension is normal but considering I was there 2 and half hours (next appointment will be less) as will have taken anti sickness at home and will have picc line it flew by
I did learn the man next to me was 65 had prostrate cance married 41 years 4 children 5 grandchildren and how I didn’t liaugh when he said he had a wooden leg and it had fell off in a previous chemo I will never know think it was because my hubby pinched me at that point 🤣🤣

I have slept pretty much most of the day 😳 got a sneaking suspicion there’ll be no sleep for me tonight. Have felt slightly queasy on and off but they sent me home with a rake of anti-sick drugs so it’s a case of having them at the right time. I’m also trying out the sea-sick bands.

Feeling like a layabout bum

X

No Sam not cold capping. My hair is short and i just didnt fancy the travelling to a different hospital for it or the extra time. I have a decent wig close to my own colour and style so should be ok xx

Your phone's still got a mind of it's own Sue! Smiley Happy Glad to see you still seem perky today, I'm starting chemo on Monday and a bit apprehensive xx

Ali not alibi lol x

Hi Ali are you cold capping? Xx

I have wore my wigs but only going out evenings but obviously I haven’t got natural hair yet I am hoping by having my number 2 Shave I haven’t got much to actually shed x today I wore a hat turban thing but only outside because my head felt cold took it off walking round supermarket
Alibi was convinced people would know I was wearing a wig but no one gave me a second glance 👍👍 wigs these days look so good x wear yours with your head held high and your heart full of pride x

Whytefawn my hair os falling out too. Upto wednesday ot wasnt but it started on Thursday. I had to brush the pillow this morning and the plug hole was full of hair after my shower!! I have enough on my head for now but dont think it will be long before i am wearing my wig!! Xx

I do Sue all the time. I won't ride without lol.

Cassie I am sure you will be glad to get back in the saddle then x do you make your horse wear a horn 🦄 xx

Karana I don’t do tea at all I did buy lemon and ginger but had to give it my sister cause after I bought it I read the ingredients and it contains lemongrass and lemongrass is my only allergy and it makes me projectiles vomit so glad I checked it out first or hubby would have thought I was seriously ill or possessed like the exorcist 🤣🤣🤣

Hi Sam. I'm on day 17. A couple of days ago body hair started to go. And yesterday my head hair started to come out. I'm not cold capping so totally expected. Its now making a mess everywhere lol.

I tried those ginger things from Holland & Barrett ....like you say Sue they are nasty 🤢

I love pepermint mint tea but I may just be weird, also like lemon & ginger too, I've never liked normal tea tho!!

Meesh, I'm fish phobic so that tuna thing wouldn't be any good for me I'm afraid!!!

xx 

Hi whytefawn

When does hair start to fall out? I'm on day 9 after 1st cycle and nothing yet! But I did use cold cap xx

Hi Meesh73 I'm back to normal Self today Thankyou,have a little back n chest pain but nothing major, Day 9 now after 1st chemo session and I'm hoping my liver is repairing itself ready for 2nd cycle ( that's my only worry now ) xx

I don't muck the horses out or anything literally just ride. So turn up, get on a horse, have a riding lesson and go home. It's something I've done for 12 years almost every week and I do miss it.

How are people getting on with hair loss? Mine is coming out if I run my fingers through my hair and still have strange tingly follicles.

Hi Cassie glad you enjoyed the weather will you be at risk of infection from riding?

Mrs m I hope you feel a bit better now

Jellybyot glaf you are okay too

my anti sickness is s 5 day one called akynzeo which I had an hour before chemo and I got one here to take before next chemo I am going to take a champagne one before I try and eat

I am also going to try coffee with coffee mate in case it is the milk I am not getting on with gosh I am missing coffee and wonder if woolly head is partly caffeine withdrawal if not I got a chamomile tea to try

So glad to read people are doing well it warms my heart and you ladies a bit in front defineltly helped me to go in yesterday in a positive frame of mind and with hope for a successful chemo so for that I thank each and everyone of you x and I am relieved this has been doable x

I bought ginger gems from Holland and Barrett glad they were half price cause they taste 💩 and I am sure they will end up in the bin x

Just woke up so had a 2 hour nap lol xx

Very nice weather today. Made the most of it and spent the morning at my archery club. Was nice to see them all after 2 weeks off. Just wondering now if I could go horse riding tomorrow.

SueW I've always been put off peppermint by thought of it tasting like mouthwash! Sounds like you're doing well today and listening to what your body needs which is the main thing.

mrsrimms, sorry to hear you had a bit of a rough time, be sure to let your chemo team know as you may need to have your meds adjusted so you don't feel queasy. 

Sam34, are you ok after your problems earlier in the week? Haven't heard from you in a while, wondered if you were ok?

Ive just been to the beach for a walk and an ice cream, to enjoy the lovely weather! Off out to our friends for dinner tonight which should be nice. Hope everyone else is having a good day!

I got my silk caps off eBay just a couple of pound each x
I had a 5 day anti sickness tablet with champagne ones for top up
I don’t have a head ache but head feels a bit woolly and I am saying things a little bit wrong as if things are very slightly beyond my grasp sort of don’t know how else to explain
Was up at 6 had toast for breakfast with steroids
Had soup I made for lunch sweet potato and butternut squash which I thought was bland but my sister insists it was spicy lol
Been shopping with my daughter at Tesco and brought a child’s unicorn hat for the winter for when my bonce is bald and I don’t cate if it looks silly x
I got a curry ready for dinner but shattered now so about to have more water as it’s the only drink I can manage then a nap 💤
I tried peppermint tea which reminded me of mouth wash so tried a red Bertie tea but it just tasted bitter but water from my filter thing on my fridge is ok but water straight from tap tastes a bit metallic x
I have said I will have s nap. It that could be anything up to a few hours
Glad the other day 1 ladies are doing ok too xx
Love to all x
Highlighted

Hello, day 1 done, felt really queasy when I was awake but spent the majority of yesterday sleeping, but then woke 2-6am. 

I feel better today thankfully, just a heavy head & I dont want to get out of bed yet. Managed a bit of toast & half a cup of soup. I wanted to drink water yesterday & managed less than 1/2 litre, i  am drinking better today.

Was really deading day one, so pleased it is over with.

Love to everyone xx

Hi Jellytot, good to hear you're doing well, just keep the fluid intake up. I was a bit fuzzy headed the first couple of days. Sorry not in York, I'm under a Norfolk hospital like Karana!

Hi all. Day 1-and so far so good, just a bit queasy and headachey but managing well. Hope it stays like this! I was so well hydrated it must have made a positive impact. My look better feel good isn't until Jan but hey ho. Anyone else having treatment at York hospital? xxx

My look good course is November the 9th so not the same day as you Cherry and Ali which is a shame as it would have been nice to meet some of you ladies. Xx

Hi Karana, they do 2 cookbooks and they gave me copies of both but when I've looked they're virtually the same just with slight variations. There are a couple of things in the starters section that look nice "Caribbean style tuna spread"  says you can make it in advance and keep in fridge for a couple of days. Can put it on bread, crackers or jacket potato. There's also a bacon & chorizo cassoulet in the mains section that looks nice too and doesn't look like too much a faff preparing either. 

Hope your husband doesn't think you're an intruder when he gets back from his trip! Smiley Surprised

Thanks 🍒 for clarifying that for me 😊 I haven't invested in a sleeping cap yet (we willy winky comes to mind) !!

Meesh didn't know there was a cook book but will have a look next time I go to Big C Centre...sounds quite interesting!!  Is there anything in there you fancy??

Also day 11 and hair intact everywhere so far 😬 Hubbys going away on Monday for 4 days and have got it in my head that by the time he returns I'm gonna look like an 👽 😱 Xxx

Has anyone picked up one of the Macmillan recipe books from their local centre? Think they're free (well, was at mine). Got one yesterday just had a quick flick through and they have coded recipes by different SEs, so recipes for those with sore mouth, loss of taste etc. Thought it was quite a good idea, just thought I'd mention it.

Hi Karana, ha ha yes maybe a Norfolk thing! All my hair seems to be staying put at the moment and I'm on day 11. 

I was told that hair would definitely go unless use cold cap, everything else is a bit of a lottery!

Hi Karana

The theory behind the silk pillow case is that because it's so smooth and shiny it doesn't drag on your hair and is therefore less likely to pull the hair out of your poor chemo-battered follicles. Some women who aren't undergoing chemo use a silk pillowcase as standard and it's meant to better for your skin (same theory - doesn't drag, causing wrinkles) and it's also meant to keep your blow dry/hair style looking better for longer. 

If you're not cold capping the silk might feel softer on your scalp than a cotton pillow case but I think a lot of ladies use a sleeping cap. Can't help you on that front though. Loved your Norfolk leg hair comment!! 😂 Xx

Hi Meesh, no tingly head feeling yet - touch wood. And I'm trying to ignore Ali's air freshener comment. I may look like Stig of the Dump at the moment but hoping I don't smell like it!!! 😜👍🏼

I've been using a natural cream deodorant from Tropics, very nice and works!  

Can an someone explain the silk pillow thing to me please?  It's the first I've heard of it!  I'm not cold capping tho so not sure if it's any help to me!  Also my bcn said I wouldn't lose the hair off my legs...is this just a norfolk thing lol!! Xx

Hi cherry, completely understand about the deodorant, that is also why I stopped using the standard ones last year. Fat good it did us! Did you still get the tingly head thing that they all talk about as being the pre-cursor to the hair loss?

Ali liked the air freshener comment! Not sure if it's my fat fingers but I keep finding that I type and when I re-read it's put something completely random in instead!

Morning Ali lovely!!

Well jel of your smooth pins - mine are still resembling a rugby player's!!! Hopefully bodes well for my head hair though. Ha xx

Hi Meesh 

Yeah, I haven't used proper anti-perspirant for ages anyway as I was always a bit suspicious of the aluminium and stuff and obviously wanted to minimise my breast cancer chances (bitter laugh.) I used natural deos though, only using full on anti-perspirants before interviews, presentations, stressful situations. Have been wary of putting anything near my breasts and armpits recently though. I'm sure it won't do any harm but I know I have one lymph node involved on my breast cancer side so am leaving that be xx 

Morning all. Cherry you are amazing and spurring us all on!! My hair is going big time. I can see more of the black roots and less of my short blonde's!! My legs are no longer hairy and the pubes are all but gone too!! I am not a very hairy person so hardly surprising really. I think i might givemy wig an airing today but then i think why cover my hair when it could be the last couple of days that i have it!! Really looking forward to the look good, feel better course and getting our freebies. Will just have to get theair freshener in the car as Cherty and I are travelling together. Runnerbean hope we get to see you too. The lady on the phone did say to get there for 1 to either have a cuppa and a natter or to do the relaxation class. SueW i loved your post because it resembled my typing with my fat fingers! I bought all herbal teas but literally cant stand them. I am getting by on water and hot chocolate and i have had no alcohol either. Have a good day everyone xc

Cherry, ha ha that made me laugh, but why no deodorant? I've been using a natural one for about a year now and they do a fragrance free version, which I've bought to use during my treatment. It's a cream I think it's made with coconut oil and shea butter as the base. I'll look up the website and let you know if you're interested? It does work, no stinkiness!

Morning Meesh

Glad we can share each other's curly girl pain. Although I'd almost forgotten I was a curly girl, not having allowed anyone to see it curly since I was about three!! Just to warn you when I washed my hair a couple of days before my second cycle I did seem to have a clump of lost hair but then I've probably only been washing it once a week and hardly brushing it, so it probably wasn't much more than would have come out daily on my hairbrush anyway - just looked a little alarming. Just looked in the mirror at my mop - definitely not bald yet!!! The worst bit is I never feel properly clean and fresh at the moment with hardly washing my hair and not using anti-perspirant. Luckily for everyone around me I've never been a very sweaty person. Phew!! Xx

Thanks Meesh - but will probably go 10 steps and then start dreaming about tonight's steak and bottle of red wine Smiley Wink

Thanks Ruth, really admire your enthusiasm for keeping up your running, wow!

Morning Ruth!!! Definitely use your silk pillow case - as you say let's try every trick in the book. Good on you for having your half marathon goal. I'm fancying another trip to NY when I'm done with my treatment. Although not sure NY will be quite the same without my Sex & the City cocktailage. At the moment I'm planning to stay on the wagon for the first five years post chemo 🙄 Although ask me that later when I've had a glass of my Belvoir Rosé (a lively sparkling rosé with raspberry notes and a hint of floral orange blossom - NON alcoholic) 🤢 xx

Hi Meesh my onc said the chemo shrinks the ovaries so periods are likely to be affected

Oh also meant to say, that quite a few of us on this October thread seem to be getting away with minimal SEs I reckon that is down to the good advice and tips of those from preceding months! Good work everyone!