Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

October 2017 Chemo Starters

Highlighted
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: October 2017 Chemo Starters

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚cherrybakewell, the visions of that, you are priceless❀️❀️❀️❀️shi xx

Meesh, just imagine the drama once I've got the wig on the go!! Need to get a forum sweepstake organised - betting how long it'll be before it blows off and sails away down the Mersey to the tune of You'll Never Walk Alone πŸ˜‚ xx

Highlighted

I pick the wobbliest part of my tum, Sue, and job's a good 'un. I seriously thought I'd have to swing by the GP's surgery seven days on the trot to get a nurse to do it for me but it really is the easiest thing of the whole treatment. They also say to take the syringe out of the fridge 30 mins to an hour before. I didn't find this out till cycle 2 though, so don't worry if that's not convenient for you...

πŸ’ xx

Highlighted

Cherry, almost meant to say you keep us all entertained with your tales of hair woe so you shouldn't underestimate that!

Highlighted

Thanks Meesh and πŸ’ Part of me feels like taking a great big holiday! But I fear that if I dwell in the land of bc too long it will swallow me up!
I cut down I my assignments since my diagnosis but think that it might be good to still be my old self every now and again. I have a home office so pretty flexible on that score. I like the idea of signing myself off completely for a week and then upping the anti slowly for week 1 and then week 2. (All being well) although I know that none of it will be my choice!!! Let's see where the rollercoaster takes me! 🎒🎒🎒
Highlighted

Hi Meesh

That sounds a pretty good arrangement. I'm just doing as much as I can whilst I can. No idea what might be round the corner or how I'm going to feel by cycle 7 or 8 (😱) so not planning too far ahead at the moment. Work have been great though - it probably helps that one of the directors had cancer himself and underwent chemo back in the day, when I don't think they had the side effects as well under control. On that basis he seems to think I'm on Shi's kryptonite... Ha xx

Highlighted

thanks cherry x i have a wobbly belly lots of spare flesh 

will update tomorrow think it just shocked me when my reminder came up on my phone with another set for 8am tonorrow lol x

Highlighted
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

😘😘😘glad hair held up cherry bakewell πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘you’ve good stamina everyone working through this, how on earth are you having chemo and working, are you all having kryptonite like superman instead of chemo? I want what your having and fec-t can do one.πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Highlighted

Cherry I too have managed to have a fairly easy time of things for my first cycle, but was conscious of not trying to do too much. So have compromised by signing myself off for first week (and indulging myself with a week on couch and some walks) working from home the second week and then into office on the third week. Don't think work are expecting me to manage to work for the whole of my treatment but i agree it does give you something else to think about. πŸ™‚

Highlighted

Evening Sue

Please try not to worry about the injections. I know I thought that they would be the absolute worst bit of the whole treatment, as I am squeamishness incarnate but they're a doddle, I promise. The needle is so fine you hardly feel a thing. Definitely no pain whatsoever. Just find a wee bit of flabbiness on your tum, push the needle in and then the plunger. Simples!! πŸ˜œπŸ‘πŸΌ xx

Highlighted

SueW, sorry didn't have the injections so can't help. Ali and Shi are think did them so probably best to give tips on that! πŸ™‚

Highlighted

Evening Lovelies!!!

Been catching up on all the posts and having a good chortle at Ali's tangled hairbrush story (that's no doubt what I looked like first thing this morning) and Ruth's Wee Jimmy Krankie hair reference. 

Managed to survive the day with hair on head - despite ex-hurricane Ophelia's best efforts. Hacked at hair currently resembling one of the Bay City Rollers on top, so have finally decided enough of the bad hair days - Raquel is to be summoned from her shelf. Almost all of my aggro since starting chemo has been hair-related which is ridiculous and self-indulgent, particularly as some of you have actually had to be admitted into hospital and here's me still harping on about my damned hair!!! I may actually be admitted at some point myself as I shaved furry legs, armpits and tufty club with a razor this morning. Didn't even cross my mind I shouldn't be doing it!!! Jeez, this chemo lark takes some getting used to...

Anyway, very well done to Jencat and Reboot today. Jencat - the cold cap does get easier, although after this morning's matted fiasco I'm not its biggest fan at the moment. Ruth, I've carried on working during chemo - just off for my actual treatment days. I've found it fine and as my side effects have been mild to fairly non-existent it's no doubt helped to keep my mind off things. I'd say play it by ear though. I was quite blasΓ© at the start but seeing people I know on the forum going into hospital has been a wake up call. I had been carrying on pretty much as normal but am now far more conscious of not doing too much...

πŸ’ xx 

Highlighted

The best place that I’ve found for scarf tying tips is YouTube there are loads of easy to follow videos on there.
Highlighted

just realised i have to do my first injection tomorrow eek

I am a tad nervous anyone got any tips please? x

Highlighted

Hi Ruth, gosh sounds like a busy week! I'm quite lucky with work as I can work from home, so did that last week (when immune system at lowest), then in the office this week. I have found it ok but do find it difficult to focus sometimes. My team are so busy at the moment that I think work are probably just happy with anything I manage to do! I am also making sure to spend time having a proper lunch break and went for a walk today too. To be honest if I didn't have the chemo still on my mind it almost felt normal today, which is good πŸ™‚

Highlighted

Into a cold sea!! 🌊(just read it back!!!)
Highlighted

Hiya I bought some turbans from this website - my aunt put me on to them. Really nice range of colours and the bamboo ones from Christine headwear are the nicest
https://www.trendco.co.uk/headwear-turbans/the-christine-headwear-collection
Highlighted
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi runner bean, glad your hair held up today 😘 when I got admitted in Friday a person mentioned to me voltarol gel for itching skin/scalp? Don’t know if it will work, but I plan to try as mine could go any day. Jencat don’t forget the laxative tablets too, about evening 3/4. Still in casa nhs, boooo I had hoped they would let me out today. Nevermind hopefully tomorrow. Thanks very much everyone for keeping me sane ❀️❀️❀️Dizzybrummie was that M&S cap any good if you had a look? Love and sparkles to everyone πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨πŸ¦‹πŸŒˆshi xx
Highlighted

Well done Jencat and reboot on today. The chemo train moves off again! πŸš‚ Hope you both have a good night XXX

I am off for PICC line tomorrow - due to lack of resources I am in three days in a row - PICC tomorrow, bloods and intro to chemo Weds and infusion Thursday. In some ways it seems good to inch into the cold water slowly! I have never been one to run into a couple of sea :cathappy:

Shi hope casa NHS are treating you well and you are feeling better every day. 🌈🌈🌈🌈

SueW thanks for the link - found my centre and will see if I can get booked in. Now I have my dates I have to do a whole heap of diary organising this evening as have had everyone on hold for ages. We even bought two sets of tickets to the panto in the hope that one of the weekends will work out ok :cathappy:

Meesh and πŸ’ Bakewell how are you finding working? I freelance for myself and had a client call me today hoping that I can do some work in my good week this cycle (and next) but have slightly mixed feelings. Have been very encouraged by your visits to work today πŸ’ΌπŸ’Ό
Highlighted

well done reboot x big hugs x

Highlighted

Well done Jencat, sounds you like had a pretty rough day! As others have said take meds, drink loads and rest up now! 

Reboot, well done on 2nd chemo, how did it compare to the first?

Highlighted

Ooo any scarf tying tips / links please Chaffinch? I’m after lots of ideas as I’m going for scarves rather than a wig xx So far I only have the Suburban Turban easy tie option! πŸ™‚
Highlighted

Well done Jencat, make sure you drink plenty the next couple of days and rest as much as you can. My hair is still holding on Shi although my head is getting really tingly now. How are you doing in casa NHS, any sign of escape? xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Well done Jencat one down , hope you manage to get some sleep.
Highlighted

hi Jen 

so glad to see you on here keeping us updated well done and big hugs x take meds when you should and plenty of fluids xx

I am having my picc fitted  next week before next chemo on 3rd November  so its not all done on the same day 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi jencat

Glad it went OK for you today☺

Make sure you take your anti sickness meds and let others look after you!

Sending a hug

Sue xx

Highlighted

I’m back on the chemocoaster today! All went fine again, took a great chatty friend with me this time instead of the hubbie! Puzzle books at the ready and no ridiculous plans this week!
Lots of love to everyone else xx
Highlighted
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Jencat πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•β€οΈβ€οΈβ€οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨very well done, that’s 1st one out the way, countdown to finish starts now πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘shi xx
Highlighted
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hope your hair did ok today runnerbean πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Highlighted

Hi everyone, I'm back home! Thank you all very much for your good wishes x

It's been a long day as I had to be at the hospital at 9am for the PICC line to be fitted and it was after 5 before we left to come home.

PICC line fitted okish, my vein went into a spasm (?!) and so had to put it into a slightly different place. Surprisingly they let my daughter stay with me, which was great. I misheard them at one point and thought the nurse said she was going to cut my arm. My daughter said my eyes were as round as saucers! (That's all she could see over the cover) The nurse was actually talking about the line! Smiley Happy

Bit of a mix up over the time, we were told 12pm, but unknown to us the hospital had changed it to 3pm! Fortunately as it wasn't busy they managed to fit us in, but still had to wait a while as the cold cap machine wasn't plugged in.

Cold cap was a bit of a shock as I'd misread the info about it and thought I just wore it at the beginning and end of chemo and not all the way through it! When it was first put in I must admit I didn't think I'd even do 5 minutes, but it definitely got easier after a while.

It's been a long day, but not feeling too bad apart from a bit tired and feeling a bit queasy and arm still feels sore. ED preparing dinner, feel hungry, but don't really fancy anything! xx

Highlighted

Chaffinch, yes my next one is next Tuesday (24th). Using my good days for work (probably not the best plan) but I have to look willing especially after my promotion last week.

Cassie, are you all stocked up and ready for Thursday? Having a wedding to look forward to is certainly a good thing!

Highlighted

Back on the chemocoaster on Thursday this week. Enjoying my good days whilst I can. Just been planning bridesmaid dress shopping with my sister on next good days. She's getting married in March so need to get dressed sorted. That'll give me something to look forward to.

Cassie x
Highlighted

25th, I think that you are a day ahead of me?
Highlighted

There's a few of starting 2nd chemo this week isn't there? When are you all back on the chemo train?

Highlighted

Ha ha Shi, that made me chuckle!

No wonder they say you get dry skin, with all the hand washing I'm doing, I'm not surprised! Think this chemo might give me OCD!

Highlighted

Hi Claire-bell, if you find where they are running the LGFB you might find you can also access other stuff too. I'm lucky as there is a cancer charity centre at my local hospital and they signed me up for LGFB plus reiki as well. Just ask them what else is available to you, my centre was great and they're all so nice &friendly.

Highlighted
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks whytefawn wondered how long it lasted, so pleased you’ve had a great day and wow Β£290 products for free, i’ll Be booking as soon as I get home, thanks again for link sue. Has anyone heard how jencat’s done today? Meesh πŸ‘glad you got through the day 😁think we are all on the hand sanitiser train, should buy some stock and shares in it. Clare bell, hope no 2 goes well in couple of days for you, I’m still casa nhs after 1st one. My body went what the fec, I need 5 day mini break at casa nhs if you are going to do this to meπŸ˜‚πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Highlighted
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Everyone hang fire on the Aldi manuka, Just read the label and it says unpasteurised think we are only allowed pasteurised stuff while on chemo, sorry for bum steer, I’ve just read the label after already having some, oh well at least I’m still at casa nhs already. πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Highlighted

Claire bell here is the link 

https://www.lookgoodfeelbetter.co.uk/

ps my amazon comment was for Manuka honey in case i canfused anyone lol

Highlighted

i just ordered some off amazon (used prime so will come tomorrow) Β£14 for bigger jar 

they did a half size at Β£8.50

I would have gone to Aldi but my local one is closed for a refurb x

Highlighted

Hey girlies how did you book your LGFB course my chemo nurse had never heard of them. Got chemo 2 in three days but still feeling very tired - hair has started to shed. Everyone else ok? X
Highlighted

Cassie, I'm booked on LGFB course next Thursday, its two days after 2nd chemo so hoping I'll feel ok. They've said I can book onto the next one if not but that's not until end of November, so would like to go next week if I can! Sounds amazing.

Highlighted

I was looking at the manuka honey yesterday in H&B it's half price at the moment but still about Β£18. Perhaps I might try the Aldi one, although Ali you're right I wonder if it's the real thing? Just got home from work, did ok but it's tougher than working from home and I don't seem to get as much done! Kept washing my hands and using my anti-bac hand wash, paranoid about picking up a bug from someone. Nice to see people though.

Cherry how did you go at work today, did anyone comment on your hair!

Highlighted

It started about 10 and finished about 12.30 with a break about half way through. It was quite relaxed and they didn't rush through anything. It was good I enjoyed it. Just searched all the stuff in my bag and totals Β£290 If you wanted to buy it all separately.

Cassie x
Highlighted

not done mine yet Shi so dont know how long but if there is one local to you book in asap as mine is not until December ... 1st available spot x

Highlighted
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks very much whytefawn and Sue. How long was it for please? Ali thanks for tip on coconut water too, anything to help this not happen again my next hi ho hi ho it’s off to fec I go is due next week! LovelyπŸ’• jencat, hope you have got on ok today, please let us know, by the way your pee will be colour of tizer for a bit because of the red one in the fecπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨shi xx
Highlighted

Hi Shi 

here is the link you can put in your postcode and find your nearest one x

https://www.lookgoodfeelbetter.co.uk/

Highlighted

Hi Shi. If you go on their website, search look good feel better, you can search for your nearest course and book online. I had to book mine direct with chesterfield as it wasn't on their website for some reason. Well worth it. It was a good laugh

Cassie x
Highlighted

Hi Cassie

glad you enjoyed the course mine is booked for 6th December so got that to look forward to though i havent recieved the confirmation letter yet they said they would send perhaps it will be nearer the time x

Highlighted
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Whytefawn, so glad the look good feel better course has been nice and goody bag sounds wonderful 😘how long was it for? And do you book through Mcmillan centre? Thanks beautiful πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨shi xx