354998posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2017 Chemo Starters

Highlighted

Re: October 2017 Chemo Starters

Cassie, you’re in the best place for when you’re ill, I hope they get you all fixed up v soon though x

Welcome MrsMeow, the more the merrier and we do try to be merry. Always good to meet a fellow curly head 😊. My hair is currently staying put, although it might be thinning. It’s so hard to tell when I used to lose handfuls every time I washed it. Feeling the draft around my neck now it’s short though.

My little girl decided she didn’t want a “girl’s” costume this year so she’s gone for zombie. Maybe the sparkly phase is over for her 😁

Have a good day everyone 💖💖💖
Highlighted

My head is freezing today not sure how men manage with bald heads and buzz cuts all the time. My hubby has been bald since he was 20! I’m sitting on the sofa in a hat with a blanket and a cat, it’s chilly.
Hope you get home today Cassie and that they are looking after you well xx
Looks like your hubby is on bread buttering Karen 😜.
Sounds like you had great customer service from your water company MrsMeow maybe I’ll give mine a call too. I suspect that I won’t get through their website has crashed this is a big problem I think. Many grumpy Monday people unwashed and caffeine deprived!
Highlighted

Keep an eye on your temperature Karen and take it easy today xx
Highlighted

Thank you for the welcome ladies - hope you all have a good day
Chaffinch - hope your water is sorted - I had a lovely experience with Scottish water when they sent a note of a planned change to our water supply last Monday - I rang the customer care line to make sure that the water would still be safe for me and they were so kind - they arranged for bottled water to be dropped off in advance and also put me on a register so that if anything else affects our supply (or access as I was worried they would dig our drive up) that they will keep me in mind - they even wished me well with my health - it's lovely when strangers especially in big companies go that extra mile I was quiet touched. Maybe you could contact your supplier!
Take care all - and keep cosy is a chilly one today especially in the head area missing my curls to keep me warm! X
Highlighted

🌟🦄🦄🌟💃💃💃💃💃🌟🦄🦄🌟💃💃💃💃💃 let’s see if that helps Cassie xxx
Highlighted

I’m secretly laughing to myself as hubby not been picked up for golf, he’s now sulking, I’m now cheering!! He does know about buffet as he booked it....he has this ability to not panic about these things, probably because I’m the one that takes control!!

Will try mouthwash Meesh, thanks for that tip! Hope you get on ok with hair Wash, keep us posted xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh Cassie, I hope you are going to be ok, if you need any advise on what they are doing while you are in come on the forum the May ladies talked me through everything that was going on when I did casa nhs 1st round really helped because you don’t know what’s going on. Ali great news day 12 and ok, let hope that Life Mel Honey works for both of us this cycle. Mishy and tatyana, thanks for helping buddyfan and us with the t tips😘Karana, please look after yourself you are amazing but you need to put yourself first this is not your average train journey. Sue good luck with Hickman line tomorrow and who’s up for chemo this week? Good luck to you too and we’ll get us all through this and the whole journey. Wishing everyone’s se’s better and sending 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺🕺🕺caddies dance better, girls we need some dancing for Cassie, worked last time and got me home thank you. 💕💕shi xx
Highlighted

Fun times this morning, the whole of our area is without running water after a water main burst overnight. Fortunately there was enough water in the kettle from last night to make my porridge pot and cup of tea. We have a couple of bottles of water in the house too and plenty of milk and fruit juice. Glad I’m not off to work this morning.
Highlighted

Cassie, sorry to hear you're in hospital, hope they get you better soon and you can go home! Sending you some magical 🦄🦄🦄🦄hugs and 💫💫🌟🦄🌈💃🏻💃🏻🕺🏻💃🏻for a speedy recovery

Karen, the sore throats could be an effect of the chemo as I got a slight one both cycles and went cleaned my teeth and gargled with mouthwash, seems to have done the trick both times and got rid of it. So you could try that 🙂

Does anyone know if we will also get the dry skin on fec?

Welcome Mrs Meow, feel free to pop along here whenever you like, we all need to help each other through this as best we can and I've benefitted a lot from both this thread and the September one!

Have had my porridge stewed apple and cinnamon and am now psyching myself up for the dreaded hair wash! Wish me luck ladies! 😕

Highlighted

Sorry to hear that Cassie but you are in the best place. They will soin have you sorted and on your way.

I am scared of changing to T chemo too!

Golf!!! Karana does he know about the buffet?
Highlighted

Sending you a hug Cassie. Hope you get home soon.

Fairydust x

Highlighted

Cassie x thinking of you xx get plenty of rest x

Mrs meow think we all dip into each other’s threads so welcome xx
Highlighted

Oh no poor you Cassie..let’s hope they get you sorted and you get out quick!!

I went to sleep at 930 last nite and now only awake so have managed a great sleep, have got a bit of a sore throat so need to keep eye on that I think! 

Would love one to give OH a sick note, but hey ho he’s off to play golf this morning!!  On a plus note my sister is coming to stay for weekend so really looking forward to that and I shld be feeling quite well by then, fingers crossed!

Hope you’re all feeling well this morning 🌟🌟

Highlighted

Sorry to hear that you have been taken into hospital Cassie. I hope that you feel better soon and get back to your own bed xx
Highlighted

Am trespassing here from the September thread hope that's ok - am so grateful for the T tips as am dreading the first one in 10 days so thank you to all who are sharing tips. I've finished 3 fec and the final docetaxel will be just as Santa's sleigh is overhead - thanks again for sharing how it goes - the hospital painted such a black picture to me and my husband it freaked us out! Hope everyone has a good week especially those who have chemo this week, MrsMeow xx

Highlighted

Evening nightowls. Guess who got herself checked into casa NHS!!! had a funny turn this morning and fainted which scared my husband to death. Then been feeling off so called the number and got myself a bed for the night. Apparently red blood cells are low and something is elevated. So they are treating for a possibly infection tho no other signs.

Cassie x
Highlighted

Glad you shared Tatysna I only did it because someone bought me some foot soak sock things in a set x
Highlighted

Hi ladies, just visiting from July and may threads, I actually started fec+t on 30 June and finished two weeks ago. To add to Mishy's excellent tips for T: things taste funny/nasty, even water does, so try San Pellegrino or tonic water or bitter lemon, anything a bit sharp. Cow cream needs to go on 3-4 times a day at least. If you start to get sore hands or feet, don't put them in hot water ever, wear rubber gloves with a lining for washing up, soft gloves for other jobs, and avoid friction or impact such as running, long walks, use of hand tools etc.
I was told not to put gloves or socks on after moisturizer as it can trap heat (which is the enemy) and may foster infections. Let the moisturizer sink in slowly. Pat it on gently, don't rub.
Highlighted

Ha ha that’s funny glad it’s not just me x
She could be a zombie princess xx
Highlighted

My phone did it too!! morticia!
Highlighted

Sue Mortician is such a fab costume ♥️ Fancy dress can be real fun especially if you dress up as quite an eccentric character 😊

My daughter still wants there to be done form of 'princess' element to her costume so this year she wants to be a bat princess!! 🦇🦇
Highlighted

Morticia not mortician lol phone changed it x
Highlighted

When I was 50 in May I had a big fancy dress party (seems like ages ago now and before bc diagnosis) I went as Mortician Addams and hubby was Gomez and I would love to dress up in the costume for Halloween but as I got my Hickman line fitting on the morning in theatre and got to stay on day ward for 5 hours after I don’t think I will be up to it 😢😢 x
Highlighted

Ali I asked x
It seems that the deciding factor for some of us and our treatments is ther difference between HER 2 positive or negative
Buddy I have found if I put e45 on my feet and then put socks on to try and encourage it to soak in xx
Highlighted

Evening lovely ladies, so nice to catch up on everyone's posts as always.
Hooray for the last injection - hopefully I can get through the night unscathed and it feels like there is a small window to breath again before the next cycle.

Of course ridiculously the first plan for tomorrow is to go through my work emails and chase my pesky accountant so I don't get thrown in jail! I plan to try the week working part time. But like you Meesh I do feel a little unsure that I want to spend all my best days working before cycle 2. Might try to keep a full day to one side for doing whatever I feel like (usually gardening 😁)

Ali the idea of painting a brain on your head is hilarious!! I saw a very realistic squidgy one in tiger for a couple of quid and was very tempted! Just bought a necklace that made it look like my head was severed instead 😁😁 there has to be some fun when the kids come knocking!! Last year I dressed in full Mexican festival of the dead costume to DD's delight but not sure I am quite up to full costume this time 😊 We will be covering our front garden in spider webs again though I am sure!!

Highlighted

Mishy, thanks that's great for the T tips. I'm try oil on the nails and gloves if I go out to combat the UV rather than nail polish. I have sheets of skin coming off my right foot but it isn't sore yet. I use creams every morning, I think I'll add night now. I don't normally go to bed before midnight anyway, so it'll be intéesting to see if I have sleep issues. ok so far but only had one. T2 is tomorrow.
Highlighted

I was just ssying to my kids what fun us bald people could have with trick or treaters this year!! My son now wants to paint a brain on my almost bald head so i can pull my wig off when i answer the door. Either that or draw a face on the back of my head and answer the door backwards!

Every cloud!!
Xxx
Highlighted

Was it SueW or Fairy who ssked about my diagnosis and treatment? Sorry by the time ive caught up.i forget!!

I am grade2 her2+ and er+..7 chemo - 3 x fec, 4 x docetaxol with herceptin and perjetta then herceptin will contine every 3 weeks for a year. I will have a masectomy a month after finishing chemo and will go on to letrozole at some point.

WHAT A SENTENCE THAT IS!!

I also hate putting the shopping away and emptying the dishwaher. I also hate putting the ironing away!!

Karana, i feel that i can plan very little at the moment as i just dont know how i'll feel day to day. You seem to be under enormous pressure to carry on as normal. Can you not give your hubby a sicknote and ask him to get someone in? I know its hard when self employed but you do need a break chick!

Today, day 12, dare i say it i have felt normal! The only thing i seem to be having is bouts of diaorrhea a little while after eating so feel i always need to be near a loo. This time last cycle though i was spending a 3rd night in hospital so glad that hasnt happened again.

Good luck to everyone for this week xx
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Mishy, float away sweety that you gave your last chemo this week 😘😘😘you are wonderful and have every right to 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺dance and be happy it’s the last one for you. We will be joining you in the new year too because we have meesh holding the gun to the chemo train drivers head and also carriages full of strong amazing ladies on our chemo train who will get each other through safely and we have you and tatyana and all the amazing May ladies too, we are a lucky thread to have such help and support and love, we also have our lovely community champion ladybowler taking care of us all too. 👍👍👍😘😘😘💕💕love and sparkles everyone we are getting there shi xx
Highlighted

Thanks Mishy, good luck for your last treatment, you must be so pleased that this phase of your treatment is nearly over. 

Karen, sandwiches for 50, that's a lot of bread buttering! It'll be nice to have your dad come and help you. I'm considering taking next week off work (need to take 9 days before end of December) and going and seeing my folks as it's my dads birthday. Would also like to see my Nan as she's 95 and has just gone in a home, I haven't seen her since my op in August. I'm thinking it'll be nice to have some time off during my good week, think work would rather I have the days off when I'm having chemo, but I'm definitely not going to do that, who takes holiday when they feel like cr*p!

Highlighted

This week shld be a bit quieter although we’ve got a wake tomorrow and have got to cater for 50...got my lovely dad coming to help with preparation, he’s made sausage rolls today and he’s great at making everything look presentable!  Making sandwiches for 50 is quite a daunting task!! 

Hope ur all having a chilled out Sunday eve 😘

Highlighted

That was meant to say pineapple chunks BTW ☺️
Highlighted

The tips for T are listen to your body rest when you need to, Epsom salt baths, drink plenty of water each day don't cut nails file the they get very brittle, wear dark nail varnish hot water bottle or a heat pad for aches cream for hands and feet pineapple checks good for slimey mouth a cheeky hand or foot massage off someone is good when you have sore hands and feet lavender essential oils on pillow to help you sleep eat little and often you might be more hungry on this one (steroids!!)
Hope that helps ☺️
Karana hope you are feeling a bit better I couldn't face all that when feeling rubbish Shi hope you are doing OK I'm hoping the nurse doesn't struggle tomorrow getting my bloods she always does I dread her taking them (GP's) I can't believe I'm having my last chemo on Wednesday I'm bothered excited and scared at the same time I am not ashamed to say it but I dreaded every one! I'm not a wimp just hate the rotten stuff even though I know it's my saviour 😃 sorry ladies for telling you it's my last one I'm not gloating I know how you all are feeling and honestly I can tell you all it goes over really quick once you get 2nd one out of the way I think you just get used to it and it weirdly becomes a part of your routine so it becomes almost like a normality if that makes sense ☺️
You are honestly all coping so well and you have a lovely thread so you can keep each others morale up! You are all very strong ladies 💪 just remember if you are feeling down or sick of it all why you are doing it
🌠🌠🌠🌠💖💖💖🌟🌟🌟🌟
Highlighted

Karen, I think you've done amazingly well this week, will the pub be quieter over the next few days so you can get a bit more rest? It's definitely turned nippy this weekend, I've put my bigger coat on when I've been out to make sure I wrap up warm! I hate the cold, been lucky that the cat has been playing nurse this week and so has been acting as a lap warmer! She did that last round of chemo too, barely left my lap for the first few days!

Highlighted

Hi Meesh, I'm at Mundford, nr Thetford. But I know that area from powerboat racing. We raced at Oulton Broads every Thursday night. So, I have a lot of good memories from there. My crash was at Windermere, not at Oulton!
Highlighted

Buddy that description of your sailing trip has made me nauseous thinking about it! I do love porridge tho and been having that most morning although I love golden syrup in mine!!

I haven’t felt much like Wonder Woman this week, and it’s not easy only being upstairs, I can’t hide very easily so sometimes easier to face people and just go downstairs, but have been trying to rest! I’m now ticked up in bed but cld be because I’m freezing!! Xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Buddyfan, sorry you’ve been having to clear up after poorly husband 🤢that’s not nice and hope he is better soon. The May ladies are an amazing lovely kind wonderful bunch of ladies and have already helped us very much in the Oct thread so I have just nipped on there and asked them to pop onto Oct thread with tips on the t. I am sure they will pop on and give you some tips, although if you read back in this thread there are already some tips about the t. Tatyana posted about the udder cream from amazon for sore feet and hands when in t. Hope this helps. 💕💕shi xx
Highlighted

Hi buddyfan, hopefully your sea legs will stand you in good stead when you get to the fec part of the treatment! Hopefully you'll get some answers on the t part of your treatment, the ladies on the September thread have started theirs now I think so could probably help. 

Are you located on the east anglia coast? I'm just outside Lowestoft, wondered if you were anywhere near me? Not sure about surfing but there's lots of kite surfing!

Highlighted

Dizzy, I loved the sailing trip. I'm less conservative than hubby. We were supposed to fly home from Silly Isles but as we didnt get there, I decided to stay the extra day but hubby opted to get the train back to the airport to drive home. It was torrential rain for him, took twice as long to get home. Meanwhile, I had a rocking and rolling trip back and luckily two of the other guests were from Cambridge so I went back with tem, then hubby picked me up. For te next week I was waking up thinking of the trip, not the impending lumpectomy the next week.

Ah, just heard the boy's car, I can stop worrying now!

Highlighted

BuddyFan, Chemo was an option for me as my oncotype cam back smack bang mid range so chemo will improve my chances of it not coming back by 5 whole percent.

You sound hardcore with your sailing, I’d definitely have been ill!!!
Highlighted

Husband has been in bed all day and hasn’t eaten much, a banana I think. He hasn’t been sick again so I’m hoping I dodged that one. My temp is ok . I bravely donned penny gloves and mask to clear his sick bucket. I’d hate to feel ill and have that in the room. The boy still isn’t back from surfing. Who’d have thought there were decent surfing waves on the East Anglia coast? Since he’s eating out, I’m treating myself to ratatouille, rice and peas. That would be divorce if I tried to serve it to the boys.

Shi, thanks about getting May T tips. I had thought about jumping back to a month where they’re on the same T regime but isn’t May too far?

Dizzy, if lymph were clear, why do you have to have chemo?

Sickness, if it’s any consolation, I’m on T and had no sickness at all yet. Mind you, I’ve only had one so far. Next T is tomorrow. I managed to fit in a proper sailing trip before my lumpectomy. I mean bow sprit in the waves, water on deck, lots of up and down swell, too bad to sail to Scilly Isles rough. On the roughest days they served porridge for breakfast. As it happens we always have porridge. Tesco organic flakes, no dust and really big flakes. In the microwave, with frozen raspberries. On the trip I was the only guest (of 9) who wasn’t sick.

Bad back, not sure who that is. When I had my excessive back cramping before my chemo I had diazepam for 4 days. I think it was that which stopped the cycle of cramping.

Highlighted
Community Champion

I am so in awe and admiration of you wonderful ladies xxx

Highlighted

Karen, I agree I was definitely worse evening of chemo 2 with nausea. You have had a busy few days so no wonder you feel tired! I'm amazed you can find the will to socialise and work as I really haven't felt like mixing with people. Chemo isn't easy but working and living in a pub, I really don't know how you do it, you truly are wonder woman 💫🌟🌟🌟

Chaffinch, I think you're right with the working. I worked weeks 2&3 last time (although dud gave the day before chemo off). It's difficult to know whether not resting enough now will have an effect later on in treatment or not too.

Who is on the chemo 🚂 this week? Sue I know you're up on Friday, who else is on this week?

Hope everyone's had good days! 🌟🌟🌈

Highlighted

Very true lovely words Shi ....lotsa love right back at ya 😘😘

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Karana, you have worked yourself silly during chemo as have other ladies, I don’t know how you do it, I am so full of admiration for you all working during chemo, you need to try and look after yourselves, not in anyone’s nature on this thread I know to put yourself first, but you have to, we all need as much strength as we can find to get through this chemo train, I know we’ve got meesh holding a gun at the drivers head on the choo choo, and we need to back meesh and each other up on this ride we find ourselves on and we are doing an amazing job. You are all strong, amazing kind, ladies with the funniest humour and I love you all 💕💕shi xx
Highlighted

This is very true Chaffinch!! Trying to take care xxx
Highlighted

I know how you feel, the tiredness makes it harder to manage. I think like you I exhausted myself by working right up to second chemo. I’m not doing that again. It must be so hard for you knowing that the work is going on right beneath you, but you need to take take of yourself especially as the winter bugs start x
Highlighted

Hi ladies...sorry for lack of posts today, was a bit zapped from yesterday and struggled to concentrate on much today, have been sitting in the bar chatting to a few customers this afternoon but now upstairs chilling for the evening!  Hasn’t helped that member of staff phoned in sick (do these people really know what sick is??!!) so OH has had to work when we had planned a relaxing day!!  

Meesh, hold on to that hair if you can, it wld be a shame if it went after the hard work you’ve put in!

I seem to be struggling more with tiredness this time round but cld be just the circumstances! Definitely felt worse the evening of chemo 2 than I did first time round, thru feeling dizzy nauseous an unable to sleep! Acid reflux been manageable with medication, def more constipated so have resigned to taking medication for that today and didn’t need to last time!  I feel a bit fed up with it all today, but again putting that down to being tired!!

Hugs to you all 🌟🌟💖🌟🌟

Highlighted

I didn't really suffer that much last time I did have some slight nausea, dizziness and a delicate tummy feeling but the worst was acid days 3-4 and the anxiety days 6-7. The nausea this time again wasn't unmanageable (have still been able to cook and eat) but was worse and I've still had a few waves of feeling slightly sick & acidey today and yesterday which didn't seem to hang around as long last time. The dizziness I think has been about the same but I don't seem to have the delicate tummy feeling and the anxiety today didn't seem as bad (hopefully, it will stay that way). 

Highlighted

I had my anti sickness changed from metaclopramide to Emend and was given one before chemo and 2 weaker strength ones for the next 2 days to be taken at 24 hour intervals. Hard to compare with that change. I haven’t been sick this time but felt very nauseous for first 48 hours and utterly wiped out. I have managed to eat more but mainly because I know eating little and often helps with the nausea and also hubby is great at feeding me. I couldn’t eat proper food if I had to prepare and cook it. I have got to the hollow empty stage now which lasted quite a few days last time. Fatigue is going to be a big thing from here on in I think. The oncologist did warn me that it would. I am normally quite active and busy so I will struggle with that. I’m not working this week at all and next week I will try to do my normal Tuesday and Friday if I can and the Tuesday before my next cycle but that will depend on how I feel and if anyone in the office has lurgy..
So in answer to your question I don’t know if better or worse. Didn’t feel panicky and out of control this time and haven’t had nightmares so possibly marginally better but it’s tough!