cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2017 Chemo Starters

Re: October 2017 Chemo Starters

🍒 and Jen you were night 🦉 owls
Hope you both managed to sleep
Well it’s the morning after and I had a good but disturbed night ( loads of wees from all the water)
As I got to take steroids I will start them early in a hope they out my system by bed time tonight
Feel mildly optimistic and got crossed fingers as it’s early but have woke feeling ok x my tongue feels a little strange and can’t face my usual coffee but water going down nicely
I have bought some herbal teas but as I am a tea hater haven’t tried one yet but may brave one in a little while with some toast
Just having a slice of toast for breakfast to take my tablets it’s the first time in years my overweight self hasn’t woken feeling like I could eat my whole body weight in food (maybe a plus if I lose a bit of weight as I actually have about 7 stone to lose to be in healthy weight range)
Hope everyone has a great day and will check in later xx love to all 💕

Hoping I don't get an Argos trainee like you did Cherry! Smiley Happy Yes, I'm going to give the cold cap a go, I'd like to try and keep some hair if I can, although I have got a wig on standby if it doesn't. As you've still got some hair, do you still use a cap to sleep in?

Sleeping a bit better than I did, although seem to fall asleep in the evening and then wide awake again now! Hope you get a good night's sleep xx

I can only wish the same minimal side effects for you, Jencat. Are you still planning on cold capping?? Please give it a go. Even though my hair looks a total curly nightmare, it's still my hair and I'm sure helps me feel a bit more normal during this surreal process we're all going through.

Totally understand your apprehension. That's only for the first one though. For my second round this week, I found myself thinking well, it's a bit of a skive and I can take my iPad to catch up on some news. That was before I got the Argos intern torturing my veins though...

Night night, sleep well xx

Thanks Cherry, I'm starting chemo on Monday! I'm feeling a mixture of apprehension and just wanting to getting it over with! (sooner started, sooner finished!) Reassuring to read that you're doing so well xx

Evening Ladies

My ears have been a burning a bit today!! No, not a new and unusual side effect but from a couple of your posts hoping you'll be on the 🍒end of the side effects spectrum. Whilst my Viking genes are secretly slightly proud, there is obviously always the sneaking suspicion in the back of my mind that if my body seems to be shaking off the chemo pretty quickly and with seemingly minimal impact, is it hanging around long enough to do its job properly on my lump?? Apparently it has started shrinking according to my oncologist but only time will tell, I suppose... I know there's meant to be no correlation between the efficacy of our treatment and side effects or lack of them though . 

I think I might just be a bit weird as I've never had a hangover either. Not for want of trying over the years though!!! 🍾🥂🍸🍷🍹Ha. I can only deduce that my liver is either ultra efficient or ultra inefficient.

Anyway, enough of my waffle - very very well done to all of you who've had your first sesh now and all the very best to those of you with it just round the corner. I'd normally name check you all but I'm a bit tired from some late night post-chemo shopping and would hate to forget anyone. For the cold cappers a little update on my rats' tails - nearly day 4 of cycle two and it still seems to be hanging on in there. Only the tufty club seems to have been affected so far 😳 I know this second cycle is meant to be hardest on our poor follicles so I may be posting less positive news in a week or so. Hoping I've got my dad's hair gene - he died a few weeks off 91 with a full head of hair. Although I've never forgiven him for the curls... 😡

Wishing you all a blissful night's sleep and a chilled weekend.

Cherry Bakewell xxx 

Community Champion

Ali

OMG I saw your post not having read what had gone on before and I was thinking what on earth so I had to come on to see what you were all talking about to do with polystyrene heads, the imagination went into overtime for a moment Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Polystyrene heads are cheap on ebay x

SueW, ha ha I noticed that but knew what you meant. Just had a google for wig stands and they do one that folds up for £6 plus p&p so might get that.

marg, ha ha moles and cats what a choice! 

Hi marg, sorry to hear you've had so much to deal with. Well done for today, now just rest and take your meds and drink plenty!

Evening marg sorry to hear of your troubles hope things are now easing up for you as much as they can
I had a headache but paracetamol sorted that
Glad your chemo experience was okay
Can they not get better wigs for you to try it sounds like you have Hobsons choice
Ps just noticed my wig post says polyester stands of course it’s not it is polystyrene x🤣🤣

Lol I am glad I don't have a cat to fight over my wig with! Have my fitting booked for two weeks time - will remember to ask all these questions now! Thanks again ladies.

Hello everyone not posted in a while as have had other family crises ie 86 yr old diagnosed with stomach cancer / son finishing with long term girlfriend that have preoccupied me having to think about me .... and I’ve enjoyed the bit of normality .

day 1 of chemo today and now over hooray . Cold cap was fine nowhere near as bad as expected just similar to being out in a cold welsh winter when you’ve forgotten a hat ..... in fact better than a cold welsh winter as no one was chucking cold wet rain in your direction ,,,

Did have really bad headache achy legs etc with first set of drugs but believe that may have been to 4 glasses of red wine I guzzled on a hedonist meal with hubby and kids I did night before ...... wasn’t told not to drink 🍷 so presumed ok . Now know it’s not , didn’t confess just consumed galleons of water and irritated everyone by constanty asking to be unplugged to go to the loo . It worked though headache and aches went and managed to keep my guilt secret intact ..... going to behave from now on .

on the question of wigs have been for a try out . Got presented with 2 that look like a mole that digs up our garden , the third one was a long thing that when I was holding it couldn’t resist stroking it as it felt just like a cat sitting on my lap ,, 

Going in ne t Saturday to decide between the mole or cat versions ,,,,, going to add a hat if they all seem awful . When I asked “how to look after them .” Was told to stand it on a bottle and spray it a bit with free breeze 😳....maybe it’s a welsh thing .

anyway hope everyone else is feeling ok and good luck to those not yet stated the day itself is not that bad , the nurses are lovely and .... it’s the waiting that,s the worse bit of all . 

Onwards and upwards x

I just ordered medical wig tape from Amazon 👍
I have wore my wig but still have shaved head and it did move a little bit when hugged but sort of stayed put too
Sorry that sounds contradictory but it only moved to a certain point then stopped x

Ignore my message then lol xxx
But I am sure there will be similar shops where you are xx

Sue W. I’m not in Brum. Born and bred but living in Newbury in the south.

Thanks Meesh. Will ask her next time I see her x

Dizzy brummie assuming you are birmingham
I will pm you as I am too xx

Chaffinch, I was having that exact same thought. I'm due to go into the office next week, worried about it suddenly all leaving my head whilst I'm sat in a meeting!

Dizzybrummie, you could ask your bcn if they can recommend where to get your wig.  Some of us have been referred by the hospital to wig consultants. That's what happened to me and then they arranged for my free wig. otherwise would not have had a clue!

I was told to wash mine with fabric conditioner! Apparently m&s do a fragrance free one, she said in case the chemo makes me sensitive to smells but it's probably so I don't go around smelling like a pile of freshly laundered washing! Lucky you getting shampoo and a stand! Yes it's synthetic they're the only ones they do for free.

The cat was eyeing it up earlier and I did think that it's good it's synthetic otherwise it might end up with fleas! Definitely need to get a wig stand.

dizzybrummie, mine was long and curly too before I had it chopped off.

It so lovely to be able to speak with you ladies.

I had long curly messy hair up until yesterday but decided to have it chopped off in readiness. I hate hats and I’m not keen on a wig so it may well be a case of ‘Stuff it!’ If people don’t like it. Might change my mind when I see it for myself. I guess I need to find a place locally where I can try wigs on. I do have a few hats at the ready.

I came out on Facebook on Wednesday and people have been lovely and supportive.

Hope everyone’s doing ok. Hugs to you all x

Hmm day 16 looks like I will be leaving a trail of hair behind me when I’m at work next week then!

Thanks for the reminder to find something to keep my wig on, hadn’t even thought about it. Although they are just in boxes when you choose them.
My cat pulls her fur out so she had better not go near my wig!!

I will have to find a wig stand somewhere, I’m worried the cat will think my wig is a new friend and I will spend most of my free time trying to wrestle it from his grasp. I think I will clear a shelf off in the cupboard so I don’t have to look at it all the time xx

Hi SueW agree - my bff is always there for me but an old school friend stepped up as soon as he found out and we have rekindled the fantastic friendship we had when we were 16 which has been amazing. And then a mum in the school yard who was just acquaintances just suddenly knew the right thing to do and say when I burst into tears at my daughter's harvest festival last week when she was at the front performing with her class.
Here's to good friends old and new 🥂

Karana try snd go snd have s fab time and if you are unwell just make your excuses snd leave xx

Yes I got shampoo conditioner and water based hair spray too 👍 my wigs are synthetic
Have other people gone for synthetic or real hair? X

Glad you ladies seem to have got on ok today without too many problems!!

im still burping now and I'm on day 10!

When I picked my wig up I also got shampoo, conditioner, anti static spray and a plastic stand thing for the wig to sit on...haven't put it on that yet as think my dog will be scared by it lol!!!

Off out to a Tropics party tonite...just had a bit of a wobble about going in case I don't feel well while I'm there, my confidence seems to have disappeared somewhere!!!!

xx

The friend I have had the longest and still in touch with is from playgroup and we been friends 46 of our 50 years
My bestest friend is 21 years but in all this some acquaintances have turned into very special friends too and more than stepped in to help xx

Meesh love the vision of the cat taking over your wig 😂

Thanks SueW - yes that would be really sharing if I was being all French about any extramarital behaviour Smiley Wink My daughter (age 7) seems to have a new bff every day and so it makes me giggle to use the term for my friend (we have been bffs for 25 years so we are doing pretty well - compared to my daughter at least!)

I bought polyester storage heads £6 each x

Runnerbean, glad you liked your wig! I also can collected mine today.

I've got a question for all those with wigs, what do you do with it when you're not wearing it? Mine is on the table next to the sofa and I'm finding it a bit disconcerting, it looks like a new curly pet! Just don't know what to do with it!  Keep expecting to find the cat sitting on it!

Also Ruth feel free to copy my fb post and adjust it to suit you if it helps x

Thank you runnerbean ... I am constantly saying pardon or excuse me but as I am in the room on my own no idea who I am apologising too 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ruth I read bf as boyfriend in my head then saw hubby further down and thought you saucy minx but now realise you meant best friend 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I can honestly say for me once it was out there so to speak it became easier and some people did message me and I chose not to reply and thought if they don’t like it f@ck em x
Glad people are feeling better with their wigs I have wore mine since brave the shave when I have gone out in public but have also gone out with my number 2 shave too and today a woolly hat cause my head felt cold
I have decided if people don’t like my fuzzy head, my bald head (when it happens) or my wigs f@ck them too.
Sorry for the language but our fight is enough without having to worry about other people’s reactions xx

Also forgot to say I was burping all the time in the first few days after chemo but it’s settled down now a week in so I no longer have to apologise for being a pig all the time 🐷xx

Hi ladies, well done to everyone having their first chemo today. That’s one down and a little further along the treatment path we go. I picked up my wig today as well and am really pleased with it. It’s just like my own hair but longer, was going to have it cut to the same length I have now but might stick with the longer look for a while and see how it goes. Also had another couple of inches cut off my own hair in preparation. We’re going to go for the big chop next week xx

Ha ha Ruth, I love the idea of just waxing the front so you don't have to see them!

Hi everyone - congrats to everyone who had their first chemo today - also thanks to everyone who is cold capping for all the advice - I hope to join you all next Thursday and will be happily popping the pills before hand based on your experiences!!
Just received some lovely presents and flowers from the Mums at the school gate. Having cancer is a bit like a birthday with all the presents and flowers! Just a shame it has some pretty rubbish downsides!!
I did chuckle catching up on everyone's posts today - I was out in London yesterday enjoying a last frivolous shop and dinner with my bff - it was so nice to just forget everything and act like it was any other trip to town.
Hubbie, daughter and I are going to our fav steakhouse on Saturday as well - I intend to order the most expensive bottle of red on the menu as a last hurrah (and then leave hubbie with the bill Smiley Wink

I have also been letting body hair go wild figuring what was the point in paying to go to a salon but then decided to home wax the front of both legs so I don't have to see it when I look down 😁 Guess that makes me a patchwork gorilla 🦍 😉

SueW I have also been trying to figure out how to 'come out' on Facebook and am inspired by your message (I have created a private instagram where I share my more private thoughts and feelings with close friends and family). What I find most difficult is having to go back to the shocked moment when people first find out - being dragged back in time to that moment and those feelings is totally exhausting.

This forum is such a great place to be with people who are exactly in the moment with you - thank you again to everyone.

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend in the sunshine and a big fingers crossed for no bad events or surprises 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Ruth xx

Sorry you got burping meesh but reassuring to know it’s not anything weird 👍x thank you

Hi SueW, sounds like you're doing well. I didn't fancy anything else to drink but water either and I also had the burping. I figured it was better to be burping than get heartburn!

Meant to say got to have a picc line apparently my veins not brilliant and they donet want to delay treatment if they thicken x

Hi ladies I have slept this afternoon woke up a little fuzzy headed and took some paracetamol
Opened a bottle of orange flavoured water earlier but taste weird so now drinking plain water which tastes fine
I was given anti sickness in the drip and a tablet that is slow release over 5!days with the champagne don perignon one as back up if I feel sick but ok so far
wee not red anymore it did go quickly x I got steroids for next 5 days then white cell booster injections from Tuesday for 5 days but said I will do them myself
Put antibacterial gel in my porch and a sign to say gel your hands lol not taking any risks
Going to put sea band on just as a precaution
One thing I have noticed is I keep burping that happened to anyone else?
Sorry feel like I rambled there
How is everyone else? Xxx

Cassie i am day 17 and yesterday i noticed my hair falling. Today ot is just coming out in my fingers, in the hairbrush, whenni move my head. It is just coming out!! Hope you are ok Cassie xx

Cold cap was good. I quite liked it. The biscuits were good too 😳

Ha ha Cassie, I better definitely not go anywhere near a zoo at the moment! 

Well done Dizzybrummie and Jellytot, nice to see some fellow cold capers, not as bad you expect is it? Jellytot I also felt a bit woozyheaded after, not sure if that's the chemo or the frozen head! Rest up now and take your meds as instructed!

Day 16 chaffinch of chemo 1 FEC. Hair isn't really falling out yet but just feels weird. Only hair gone so far is the lady garden (probably tmi) had to shave legs tho as I was scared to go to the zoo in case they wanted me in their gorilla exhibit. Eyebrows and eyelashes so far seem ok

What day are you on Cassie?

Thanks for popping over Mai congrats on your last treatment. It's great to hear from those who have ridden the chemocoaster before us.

Dizzybrummie and jellytot well done and your first chemo. 1 down and 1 step along the road.

The top of my head has started to feel a bit strange today. If anyone has had really long hair and tied it up for long periods of time. That feeling when you let your hair down at the end of the day and your follicles feel weird. Feels like that. If that makes any sense.

Cassie x

Well done all, one down ✅