Highlighted

Re: October 2017 Chemo Starters

Sorry pressed post by accident on blank post...must be all the meds x
Highlighted

Highlighted

Chaffinch
Need them black for Halloween too!!! 😈😱👽👾💅Are you on Doxatoxal too then as thats what Ive been tild to paint them dark for?x
Highlighted

You will enjoy Reboot! Make sure you dont put too much Primer on (green) as its Halliween that day🤢
Ive booked in for Reiki and Reflexology that day👌
Highlighted

Thank you ladies, I wasn’t sure what it really was but I’ve booked myself onto the Look Good Feel Better session on 31st October 🙂🙂
Highlighted

My lovely hubby came home at midday and made me some toast and tea and insisted that I had it even though I didn’t want it. To be fair I now feel so much better. He has gone back to work now and I am setting about painting my nails a dark colour to protect them and disguise any discoloration that might occur during treatment. My friends at work have given me a couple of shades of dark blue and purple. My youngest daughter also left me with some nice ones.
Highlighted

Karana, Meesh, Whytefawn and SueW
The Look Good Feel Good session is brill and we come home with lots of goodies! I had Reflexoglogy and Reiki together the day b4 chemo 2 and felt rather calm and in control, maybe also because I knew what to expect. If you go to a centre which offers it to cancer patients then its fine but if you go to a salon or treatment rooms rhen they will need a letter from onc or chemo nurse to go ahead for insurance.

I own a restaurant and understand about the long hours of running a pub too but you will need to make time for yourself to rest and have plenty of therapies.xx

Mikala
Epsom salts in your bath really helps with achy muscles and bones.xx

Ive been for Coloscphy this morning and easier rhan I anticipated. Got worked up for nothing but it is daunting with the chemo too. Just going to rest b4 I go into work tonight.

Have a manageable day ladies.xxx

Highlighted

Meesh73 good afternoon hope you and all the other ladies are getting through today! Felt rough as last night but got up ar 10am had marmite on toast and my wide variety of pills, a nice hot bath now just chilling...im literally sitting waiting for something to happen...i hate not knowing if this is it or if i will feel poorly again or not? Wig apt next Thursday...not sure what to expect but guess its nee to us all! Sending hugs xx
Highlighted

Just rang oncology nurse so she's now clarified meds for me!  Wish they had given me a printed sheet!!  Had Reiki ages ago and loved it so think I'll get that book in and have my Look good feel great session booked for Nov....I think us ladies need something to look forward to 😋 Xx

Highlighted

My steroidsare anti sickness and on the box it just says 2 daily in the morning for 3 days
Highlighted

someone I know is involved in local spiritualist centre and a healer has offered me a session free x
Highlighted

My local centre offers the reiki for free so thought I'd give it a go. Getting the full experience of the nasty stuff may as well get the good too! Will make donation though as these centres are so good and really need all the help they can get. Also helps give us nice little things to look forward to, rather than just more chemo and nasty SEs

Highlighted

Just booked look good feel better first available appointment is 6th December x something nice to look forward too though x
Highlighted

Thank you so much SueW xx hope your MRI goes ok this afternoon. Definitely go for a wee before you go in as you have to lay on your front. Doesn't last too long tho I think mine was about 15 minutes.

Might see if I can get a reiki session before my next chemo. See if it makes a difference. Problem is I'm not good at laying still. I'll probably get the giggles or something and ruin the atmos lol

Cassie x
Highlighted

Just had this morning on but turned over Rio Ferdinand talking about his wife and mom and I don’t want to be listening x
Highlighted

Meant to say that I think reiki is fine whilst on chemo as it's just for relaxation. I haven't had it but there are no chemicals and depends on the practioner but I don't think they even touch you much.

Highlighted

Thanks meesh
That’s remind me to research look good feel good by me x
Cassie parcel posted Hun x
Highlighted

Just went on cancer research and it says can be used in conjunction with traditional cancer treatments x
Highlighted

SueW, you like to keep busy! Let me know how the reiki goes, I've got some sessions booked through my local cancer centre but couldn't get a first appointment until 24 Nov so a little way off. I'm also booked in for the look good feel good session which they're running on 26 oct (2days after next chemo session, so I'll need to see if I'm up to it). Ours also run reflexology which I'm used to having but they said I couldn't have that whilst having chemo, so will have to wait til after. Hope your scan goes ok!

Highlighted

Hi Cassie
1st session of reiki never even thought if it having an effect as just spiritual healing no chemicals or anything I am sure CK has said she has had reiki x
Highlighted

Yes the meds are a nightmare. My nurse gave me a printed sheet listing each drug and how many to take and how many times a day, but only the steroids had instruction of exactly when I should take them. Seems I have slightly different meds! My steroids are dissolvable and I take them all first thing. I'm happy with that as it means that I shouldn't need to worry about them keeping me awake! 

Highlighted

Busy week SueW. Have you had reiki before? I know a few people who do it and was wondering how it might impact on chemo SE/general well being.
Highlighted

Morning ladies sorry some of you have had a tough night and I hope you get plenty of rest today xx
Sam good luck x
I got mri at 5pm today
Got reiki booked for Sunday
Chemo nurse Tuesday
Endocrinologist Thursday
Then chemo Friday
In addition to this I have to store all my wee from Saturday, Sunday and Monday and drop it to the pathology lab Tuesday
I just wish I could have a week of no appointments
X
Highlighted

Meesh, I got into a right old muddle with my pills - trying to figure out when to take the one 30/60 minutes before food was a bit tricky, since I didn't know when I'd want to eat. I ended up sticking silly reminder tones on my phone for each pre-meal pill, ate tons of bananas when the banana reminder went off, then more pills post-bananas. I guess my potassium levels look pretty good!

Highlighted

Yes they are dexamethasone, but not dissolvable!! So was I right taking 2 this morning? I'm sure the nurse said to take other 2 early afternoon...god I wish I'd written it all down..def got chemo brain already!!! Think I may ring oncology nurse just to clarify everything!!! Xx
Highlighted

I had the dexamethasone steroids - was told they were part of the anti-nausea drugs, helped with any other allergic reaction and stimulated appetite.  The nurse advised to take at breakfast and lunch, as they can keep you up (although I turned into a night owl anyway). They gave me a nice rosy glow! Yay for toast and honey! xx

Highlighted

Are your steroids dexamethasone? If so they are for antisickness. Everything I was given was for antisickness! I was instructed to take these first thing with food, mine are dissolvable in water (tastes horrible) but I just glug it down in a few mouthfuls and follow it with some breakfast. hope that helps Karana? Luckily I've been sleeping fine which I also think is a big help. Going to get showered and dressed today and go out for a short walk later. I've also been spacing my meds out over the day too (not sure if that's right) but it seems to help.

Highlighted

I don't really know what the Steroids are for...can anyone enlighten me? Have managed small amount of toast & honey...go me!! Xx

Highlighted

I wish I had done that...any advice on taking steroids? Now gonna try have some breakfast and take them!! Oh & good luck Sam xxx
Highlighted

Sorry to hear that you had a rough night too. Each time I dropped off I swooped awake like you do when you are woken up just after you have gone to sleep. I felt very anxious and twitchy which I blamed on the steroids. I had constant waves of nausea which I controlled until 2am, I was then very sick and felt immediately much better. Hubby made me tea and I had a couple of gingernuts and a metaclopramide then started to feel sick again. Just when I thought I would be sick again I must have nodded off because that was 4:30 and the next thing I knew hubby's alarm was going off at 7am.
I have had my two steroids this morning at about 7:30 but if they make me too twitchy again I will either only take one tomorrow or will try without them.
Have done ginger tea and cream crackers on my bedside table waiting for me to be brave.
Highlighted

Good morning everyone.

Good luck today Sam34!

Karana and chaffinch sorry to hear you had rough nights. I took my ordansetron on the first day at about 5:30 with my dinner as they advised me to take meds with food as much as possible. They also gave me lorazepam for the first few nights it's a small dose but it also an antisickness med and helps you sleep. My main issue has been constipation (sorry tmi, I know) but I have managed to go this morning. Does anyone know if I should carry on with the laxido until I finish taking the ordansetron?

Ali, poor you hope you feel better soon!

mikala, how are you doing after your first treatment yesterday?

Highlighted

Sorry for lack of posts last night....I really did feel fine until about 6pm then went down hill rapidly, tried nibbling ginger biscuits and made a ginger tea but couldn't swallow anything, pounding headache and felt very nauseous!!  By the time my hubby came up (we run a pub and live above it!) I was lying in bed rocking!!  Was determined not to be sick as thought if I was I wouldn't stop and managed not to be...took ondansetron at 7pm but didn't do anything!  Drifted in and out of sleep all night and got up at 2am to find gavascon as felt like acid was trying to escape from my throat!!  On a plus note I feel a lot better this morning, just had more anti sickness in anticipation that it'll work before I feel sick again and got a biscuit & tea, still got bad headache tho....gonna to wait a bit before taking steroids.  Hope your feeling ok this morning Chaffinch!  New this journey wasn't gonna be a fun one but fed up already!!! Much love and positive vibes to you all xxx

Highlighted

Thanks every1 xx
Highlighted

Good luck today Sam x

You're probably best ringing the helpline Ali. I was told not to take any medication without running it past the nurses first.

Cassie x
Highlighted

So after feeling normal yesterday today i have a sore throat and ears! Hubby and daughter both banished to the same room last night as both full of cold so its no surprise really! So what do we do for a sore throat? Is it just strepsils etc or do we have to take different action? Hope everyone is ok xx
Highlighted

Good luck today Sam x
Highlighted

Had my hormone therapy iv yesterday Herceptin and pejerta gosh I got migraine and couldn't stop being sick,woke up fine at 11.55pm

Time for chemo today at 11am then that's 1 down 5 to go xx
Highlighted

Well! First bout of sickness done! I took my Ondestanone at about 10pm felt better briefly before bed at 11 but have hardly slept just a couple of 10 minute snatches. Tried counting backwards from 100 like chemo nurse suggested and kept thinking that the waves of nausea were just my panic attacks, woke up from one of these at 2am and knew immediately that it wasn't that! Not sure why I bothered having my tea. I thought if I had it at 6pm I would digest it before the nausea kicked in but I think my digestive system just went on a go slow then stopped. I do feel better now though and hubby has gone downstairs to make us a cup of tea. I've had one ginger biscuit that went down ok so I will have another with my tea then hope for some sleep.
Hope everyone else is sleeping peacefully x
Highlighted

Well done Mikala. Hope you get some sleep tonight..dont forget to take anti sickness if you need it xx
Highlighted

Looks like there are a few of us who have had FEC for the first time today.
Highlighted

Hi Ladies i had my first FEC today and wasnt half as bad as id expected and went smoothly...taken meds as prescribed and managed a sandwich but tastebuds seems to be playing up already grr!! Got sea bands too so had them on! Feel a bit sickly but not been sick...the feeling comes and goes! Relieved number 1 is done! Hope everyone else is well and those who had first session today are ok xx
Highlighted

Chaffinch i felt exactly the same. Felt relieved yet scared. Drink plenty of water and do just as you have been told. Keep your sweets handy too. Here i am one week on and ok. Big hugs xx
Highlighted

Glad that you are coping ok, long may it continue.
I am feeling a bit panicky, I think it is again the fear of the unknown. It's hard to tell what is feeling out of control and what is side effects at the moment. The lack of control is making me feel quite weepy.
Highlighted

Well done Karana and Chaffinch, glad it went well for you. I too feel felt spaced out afterwards yesterday. Had a bit of dizziness on and off today and head still feels a bit weird. Have spent day on the settee, only just realised I'm still in my pjs! Other than that have been pretty good. Lucky my tastebuds seem to be holding up. Take things easy and get others running round after you!

Highlighted

Well done ladies xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Ladies

Karana and chaffinch.....sounds like it went well. You will feel a bit spaced out for a while. If you are currently taking steroids, then you may find the fatigue kicks in once you stop. Take it really easy for a few days. Karana, youre not suppose to be doing anything!! And let others look after you.

Sending a hug

Sue xx

Highlighted

I noticed they are selling v pillows on Groupon for £8.99 incl a cover. Can't comment on quality as I haven't bought one.
Highlighted

Well done Chaffinch & Karana, take it nice and easy.

Runnerbean & SueW - go v pillows!

Ali, really glad to hear you're feeling almost normal on Day 8.  Same for me, on Day 9. 

Big hugs xxx

Highlighted

I will be watching your posts intently Karana, because you are a few hours ahead of me. I just feel a bit spaced at the moment almost like when you have a drink on an empty stomach. Hubby is making my tea so that hopefully it will have time to settle before any nausea kicks in.
It is weird being hyper sensitive about what is going on in your body.
Highlighted

Glad you're home ok Chaffinch...I'm still feeling ok just dizzy with a headache and water tastes disgusting!! Feeling a bit panicky about wot I shld be doing if anything!!xx